• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I hope his moveset involves his partners and items (and jumping, and hammers, obviously). His final smash can be the sticker star thing, I don't mind. There are a lot of candidates from that game that could work.

I can see his side special being similar to regular Mario with the tail sticker from Sticker Star being able to deflect things (though I do strongly dislike Sticker Star as a Paper Mario game).

Man, I should stay away from this thread cause being in here is just making me hype way too much.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So what do you guys think the music for this new stage will be? Each stage has two tracks: a main track, and then an extra one that only plays about 12% of the time (like in Melee).

Personally, I hope the main track isn't from Sticker Star, or is perhaps a medley. It it's one song, here's my pick:

As for the second track:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
As I said, two tracks only for a Paper Mario stage is a crime against humanity. >.< lol

I may be the odd one out, but for a TTYD track I would actually really like Rogueport's theme.

It is the most memorable track from the game for me, and seeing as the TTYD part of the track is over the ocean, it works.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
DAT stage.

That totally boosted my prediction for PM's appearence in this game.

I bet the Wii U stage will be something from Super Paper Mario.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to lie; I am very, very emotional right now. I also feel like (if paper mario is in) this could be sakurai's way of saying, "remember paper mario? Not just Sticker Star but the older ones." Just to keep it in the minds of fans so that there's more hype during the reveal.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm not going to lie; I am very, very emotional right now. I also feel like (if paper mario is in) this could be sakurai's way of saying, "remember paper mario? Not just Sticker Star but the older ones." Just to keep it in the minds of fans so that there's more hype during the reveal.
In the same way they went "remember Samus? Not just Other M, but the older ones?", right?

Oh, wait.

If there is a Paper Mario, he's going to be Sticker Star heavy. Which sucks.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm sad it's not the "stage" from Thousand Year Door. But I'm happy to see Paper Mario finally get some representation. (I wish this was on the Wii U since there's tons of music options)

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Hm, so does this significantly boost PM's chances? I'd be ecstatic if he was in, but I really don't want Sakurai toying with my emotions.

Staarih

Smash Master
I've been pumped all day just because of this stage reveal, haha, funny how a small thing can affect so much. Surely it does not guarantee Paper Mario as a playable character, but just to FINALLY have major content of the Paper Mario series in a Smash game keeps on making me smile.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Now I have to go play Thousand-Year Door again, just to keep the hype up.
I'm just hoping that the Thousand Year Door showing up on a 3DS stage is confirmation of a 3DS port. Maybe?

Yeah, I was afraid not. :(

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Hm, so does this significantly boost PM's chances? I'd be ecstatic if he was in, but I really don't want Sakurai toying with my emotions.
It kind of does because Sakurai mentioned nothing about Paper Mario as a character, usually he disconfirms a character when something like this is revealed. I think Paper Mario's chances of getting in are still low myself, but now we have some solid evidence that he could be in the game besides a petty Paper Peach trophy.

Also, i'm not sure Sakurai would toy with our emotions regarding Paper Mario, because he unfortunately, isn't as high-requested as a character like Ridley. If he does, pity on Sakurai for targeting such a small audience compared to others.

Also, to be honest, seeing a Paper Mario stage with real Mario characters just....doesn't feel right. The Paper counterparts of the cast are kind of different from their normal selves.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It kind of does because Sakurai mentioned nothing about Paper Mario as a character, usually he disconfirms a character when something like this is revealed. I think Paper Mario's chances of getting in are still low myself, but now we have some solid evidence that he could be in the game besides a petty Paper Peach trophy.

Also, i'm not sure Sakurai would toy with our emotions regarding Paper Mario, because he unfortunately, isn't as high-requested as a character like Ridley. If he does, pity on Sakurai for targeting such a small audience compared to others.
He deconfirms characters who are shown in-game, but are not playable. Not ones that just have stuff associated with them.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm honestly becoming cautiously optimistic. Between the Paper Peach trophy, this new stage, and Gematsu being debunked (At least partially), I feel like we have a pretty good chance.

If I get both Robin & Paper Mario, I can start to forgive Sakurai for Ivysaur.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
He deconfirms characters who are shown in-game, but are not playable. Not ones that just have stuff associated with them.
True, but I feel Paper Mario would have been shown as a trophy already if Sakurai wasn't hiding something. I could be getting too excited. However, to predict a character from the start that looked like they had no chance in the game for many, many, months and then to see this, it's kind of awesome.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm hoping that the Wii U will receive a Paper Mario stage. Personally, I'd really like to see the classic Theater stage. The background will be selected at random and the audience will sometimes throw rocks, cans, or items. Also, the stage itself could drop equipment like it does in the game.

I remember losing to Bonetail because I went to the bathroom in the middle of the fight and a crowd member threw something at me. I came back to a Game Over screen. Not cool, not cool.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I think I know what it is and if it's the case, it was unexpected.

There's a glitch in TTYD discovered by almolicious, speedrunner and current world record holder for that game. It was a total fluke when he did that by accident while doing a 100% run for fun. Basically, flavio follows you everywhere. Some hundreds viewers so I guess it could have spread a little.

But I didn't think this to be known on reddit.

btw, can you tell me what music it is? I can't use my computer sounds and I don't have my headphones.
It's from PM64 called A Kingdom in Chaos

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I'm hoping that the Wii U will receive a Paper Mario stage. Personally, I'd really like to see the classic Theater stage. The background will be selected at random and the audience will sometimes throw rocks, cans, or items. Also, the stage itself could drop equipment like it does in the game.

I remember losing to Bonetail because I went to the bathroom in the middle of the fight and a crowd member threw something at me. I came back to a Game Over screen. Not cool, not cool.
Since there are much more Paper Mario games on home consoles (3 vs only one for handheld consoles), I would be much surprised if there was not at least one Paper Mario stage on the Wii U version...

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage

I dunno if this theme would be fitting for the level announced, but I thought it was one of the coolest boss themes! Maybe it'll be in a WiiU Paper Mario stage :D

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The Paper Mario series has some of the best OST in the entire Mario franchise.

I dunno if this theme would be fitting for the level announced, but I thought it was one of the coolest boss themes! Maybe it'll be in a WiiU Paper Mario stage :D
Yes I'd love for that song to be included. If Ice Climber receives a stage, then that would fit it perfectly.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I really want this song to appear in one of the Mario Bros stages:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This song has to play in Paper Mario's reveal trailer.

It's absolutely perfect. I'll work on the actual trailer later, but I'm thinking it starts out with a storybook opening with a Smash logo on it, and leading up to Paper Mario popping out of the book, ready to fight.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
But... Now that I think about it.. If the Wii U version were getting a Paper Mario stage as well, do you think the 3DS one would feature areas from Thousand Year Door, one of the console games?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
But... Now that I think about it.. If the Wii U version were getting a Paper Mario stage as well, do you think the 3DS one would feature areas from Thousand Year Door, one of the console games?
My guess would be a stage based from Super Paper Mario.
I hope his moveset involves his partners and items (and jumping, and hammers, obviously). His final smash can be the sticker star thing, I don't mind. There are a lot of candidates from that game that could work.

I can see his side special being similar to regular Mario with the tail sticker from Sticker Star being able to deflect things (though I do strongly dislike Sticker Star as a Paper Mario game).

Man, I should stay away from this thread cause being in here is just making me hype way too much.
Yeah I would like to see his moveset heavily based on his partners in the first two games.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Maybe, hopefully there is a Wii U Paper Mario stage with TTYD stuff so we can hear more than just 2 songs :/

Staarih

Smash Master
It would be sort of weird to have a Paper Mario stage ONLY on the 3DS, as the franchise itself is very home console-heavy (with all but one game being on home consoles). I'm pretty confident that the Wii U will get a PM stage as well.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Stage looks interesting. I was horrified when I first thought it'd be just a Sticker Star stage, but now that I see it takes locations from all games, I'm happy.
Here is hoping for the Theatre on Wii U!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm pretty sure the stage is going to involve more than just two forms. I don't think it's switching between just Sticker Star and TTYD.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, this is certainly an interesting development. I'm quite happy to see the Paper Mario series at least get some form of representation beyond simple trophies. Plus that means we get music as well! Now I just hope that there's a Wii U stage as well... An HD Paper Mario stage with a wide variety of awesome music would be amazing.

You know, now that I think about it... I guess I support Paper Mario for this game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I would say that Paper Mario's chances have skyrocketed today.
But considering that the roster was finalized long ago, that's an absurd statement.
So I'll just say my confidence in Paper Mario as a character have skyrocketed.
And just for kicks, here's a full batch of evidence for his inclusion:
1. Paper Mario is a popular series (duh)
2. Nintendo officially showed a new model for Paper Mario without any comment on what it was made for.
3. Paper Mario trophies were shown in the Direct but not Paper Mario himself.
4. Paper Mario now has a confirmed stage.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Does Paper Mario: Sticker Star have any great music? Never got to finish it and I don't remember anything as good as PM64 or PMTYD. Super Paper Mario didn't reached that good either but it had "The Ultimate Show" at least that I remember.
But yeah, we should prepare in case Paper Mario gets announced. He is gonna get a hate wave from people saying "Another Mario" and "That is not my character". To the levels of "Lucina is a clone" and "Lucario/Greninja over Mewtwo".

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Does Paper Mario: Sticker Star have any great music? Never got to finish it and I don't remember anything as good as PM64 or PMTYD. Super Paper Mario didn't reached that good either but it had "The Ultimate Show" at least that I remember.
But yeah, we should prepare in case Paper Mario gets announced. He is gonna get a hate wave from people saying "Another Mario" and "That is not my character". To the levels of "Lucina is a clone" and "Lucario/Greninja over Mewtwo".
Who cares? People are gonna ***** about any newcomer that's not on their ideal roster.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I love the Paper Mario series, except Sticker Star. I don't really support having Paper Mario in the game, don't care if he's in or not, but for the sake of you guys I hope he pulls through. We Starfox fans feel the same way about Krystal after he revealed the Starfox stage so good luck to both sides of the spectrum.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I love the Paper Mario series, except Sticker Star. I don't really support having Paper Mario in the game, don't care if he's in or not, but for the sake of you guys I hope he pulls through. We Starfox fans feel the same way about Krystal after he revealed the Starfox stage so good luck to both sides of the spectrum.
I wouldn't mind seeing Krystal as DLC. But the roster is starting to get packed. Maybe we'll be very lucky and get a 60 character roster.

Top Bottom