• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Morbi

Scavenger
I am really happy to see some Paper Mario representation, don't get me wrong, but....I really Sakurai would've chosen something BESIDES the abomination that is Paper Mario Sticker Star. I mean seriously, of all the games to represent the series? I guess it sorta makes some sense considering it is recent and it sold a lot, but I would **** myself dead if they used something straight out of TTYD.
Albeit, that is the 3DS stage, the Wii U stage is probably from a console Paper Mario.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I am really happy to see some Paper Mario representation, don't get me wrong, but....I really Sakurai would've chosen something BESIDES the abomination that is Paper Mario Sticker Star. I mean seriously, of all the games to represent the series? I guess it sorta makes some sense considering it is recent and it sold a lot, but I would **** myself dead if they used something straight out of TTYD.
I'm amazed to see how much people hate Sticker Star. I think it is a great game... Can't help but Wonder why you guys dislike it?
But really, an ABOMINATION?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If we got Glitzville or Rougeport on the Wii U I'd be so happy.

I'd be good with a Super Paper Mario stage though. A vertical climbing stage like the Overthere would be really fun.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
As for the OP, I really don't think the name "Windmill" would fit. It would be more like "Hither-Tither Hill", the actual name of the whole level.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Makes sense. Recency seems to only apply to stages, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem. And this stage wouldn't be introduced as a Mario home stage, considering Mario already having so many stages to call home. Even Rainbow Road is a home stage of sorts to Rosalina.

I used to doubt Paper Mario due to franchise saturation and his exclusion in Rosalina's trailer, but now I'm positive he's in.

My only regret pertaining to Paper Mario's inclusion is the further exclusion of Geno and Fawful. But, small price to pay for some RPG repping.

Last edited:

Starbound

Also I thought I've been on the support list for over a year but looking at it I guess not.

So I support Paper Mario. ^_^

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just reminder: I asked for music and I got a stage with a 99% chance of seeing music.

I really don't care it;s from sticker star. Getting one stage is already big and more than I wanted as minimum.

So, please get over it.

EDIT:

Also I thought I've been on the support list for over a year but looking at it I guess not.

So I support Paper Mario. ^_^
oh oh, now I just lost any sleep now. It;s going to be a mess to update this list, but I'll try.

I cannot believe what is happening in this thread now.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It would be awesome if there was a Paper Mario stage.

I have not played any of the Paper Mario games, so I cannot really say anything about the character--though, I could see Paper Mario being an alternate costume for Mario.
Looks like someone just got their wish:

Congrats guys! You got some Paper Mario Representation.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Plz Sakurai. Plz dont trick meh :(

I'd be so happy if this means anything.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :{}

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Forgetting to check tonight's Pic of the Day, I paused getting ready for sleep...And I see a Sticker Star stage.
I'm not going to sleep until I see the captions. Please, oh please, let this be a sign that he'll be playable. It happened with Palutena! Please let it work for Paper Mario, too.

Starbound

oh oh, now I just lost any sleep now. It;s going to be a mess to update this list, but I'll try.
No. Don't worry about looking through the thread to find exactly when I think I signed up.

Just sticking me on the bottom of the list is perfectly fine with me.

Bendezium Dweevil

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-7123-8170
If we got Glitzville or Rougeport on the Wii U I'd be so happy.

I'd be good with a Super Paper Mario stage though. A vertical climbing stage like the Overthere would be really fun.
Oooh, Glitzville would be awesome. My favorite level from TTYD. Rawk Hawk could be an AT or even just a stage boss that jumps in the stage and wreaks havoc, like Dedede in that new Kirby Smash minigame on Triple Deluxe.

Starbound

It's a traveling stage!

Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage! It's made of paper, so strong winds will blow it away.

Since the stage is paper, it transforms when it folds over and opens up again. This ship is the S.S. Flavion from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

@aldelaro5

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

It's a traveling stage!
Where did you get that pic?
EDIT: caption's here, dears. "
Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage! It's made of paper, so strong winds will blow it away.
Since the stage is paper, it transforms when it folds over and opens up again. This ship is the S.S. Flavion from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door."

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh well, it's yet another grassy Mario stage on the 3DS, but hey! If it boostes Paper Mario's chances, I'll take it!

inb4 he's confirmed to be an assist next week.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Forgetting to check tonight's Pic of the Day, I paused getting ready for sleep...And I see a Sticker Star stage.
I'm not going to sleep until I see the captions. Please, oh please, let this be a sign that he'll be playable. It happened with Palutena! Please let it work for Paper Mario, too.
Here are the captions:

"Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage! It's made of paper, so strong winds will blow it away."

Secondary picture on a boat says this:

"Since the stage is paper, it transforms when it folds over and opens up again. This ship is in the S.S. Flavion from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door."

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
IT TRANSFORMS INTO A TTYD SHIP?!?!

SAKURAI I CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT HYPED

Starbound

Wait a sec

With the SS Flavion, what if this isn't a Sticker Star stage but a general Paper Mario stage?

Like could we be stopping by Toad Town, Rougeport and Flipside as well?

I am beyond satisfied with this pic of the day. This is so freaking wonderful that I don't know how to describe it (and as an English major, you learn how to describe a lot of things).

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I didn't even know there was a support thread for Paper Mario until now. Well, put me on the support list! Things are looking awesome!

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Paper Mario might be in...Sakurai did not even mention Paper Mario THE CHARACTER, he said the series. I also see he chose something from the 3DS game, which could reference the fact that one of the other 3 games will have a stage in the Wii U version. There is also that absence of Paper Mario not appearing at all...Perhaps he could actually be a character.

...Oh dear god it's Ridley all over agian. WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO US MASH POTATO SAMURAIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
I want to cry this is absolutely amazing despite me not liking Sticker Star, I was ECSTATIC to see even one paper mario stage! AND NOW THAT THOUSAND YEAR DOOR IS INCLUDED I WANT TO MAYBE CRY

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
IM DYING OF HAPPINESS HERE THAT SECOND PIC SAVED IT FOR ME!! PLEASE SAKURAI-SAN CHOOSE THE BEST 2 TRACKS PLZ

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Damn guys, this stage is so beastly I can't believe it actually exists. While I do not support Paper Mario as a playable character I am still a huge Paper Mario fan and this looks like a brilliant tribute to the series as a whole. Hopefully it covers a lot more of the franchise and its diverse areas, I wanna see the monochromatic forest from TTYD and Tubba's Castle from the original.

Is it really a sign that he could be playable? This may just as likely be Sakurai's alternative choice for representing the series.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Wow...so it's a general Paper Mario stage. That's awesome! I'm looking forward to the other areas he puts in there.
Gee whiz, I wonder. If the Wii U gets a Paper Mario stage, would it be anything like the theatre, except transitioning to different locations? That'd be super-cool. ^^

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
Wait a sec

With the SS Flavion, what if this isn't a Sticker Star stage but a general Paper Mario stage?

Like could we be stopping by Toad Town, Rougeport and Flipside as well?

I am beyond satisfied with this pic of the day. This is so freaking wonderful that I don't know how to describe it (and as an English major, you learn how to describe a lot of things).
I think its a very safe bet that the stage will include at least one location from each Paper Mario game. The stage will probably have 4 transformations that cycle through. Compare this to Mushroom Kingdom U in the Wii U version or Castle Siege from Brawl.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
That's just amazing...

Wow...

No words can describe the feeling

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
I wonder if Sakurai is doing the same thing where he shows a newcomer's stage before announcing them. Sort of like Rosalina, Little Mac, Robin, Lucina, Greninja, Miis, Palutana...Wow that's every character besides launch and third party. Dayum. I'm really hoping for Paper Mario....Please don't disappoint me Mash Potato Samurai :(

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If Paper Mario still isn't playable this time, at least he finally got representation.

And he's downright confirmed for Smash 5

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Actually, the fact that this is a full-series stage instead of just Sticker Star might be a point against Paper Mario as a newcomer, since this is probably gonna be considered THE Paper Mario stage instead of just A Paper Mario stage. Besides, unless the Wii U version ALSO gets a PM stage, all of the newcomers have always gotten a home stage on the Wii U version, and this stage is on the 3DS version.

That said, I hope Paper DOES get in, add me to the support list!

Staarih

Smash Master
Oh my God my heart. FINALLY some major Paper Mario content. Let the journey for Paper Mario to become playable begin. I totally love the stage!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
OMG those posts.

don;t worry guys. I'm watching the potd thread so I know what is going on and the OP already got updated some minutes ago.

First, gettting 32 viewers at the same time is not usual. The best i got was like 15.

and second, I have more than 115 alerts and keep the counter.

Thanks for your support. I will try to update the list, but this new TTYD rep info, it might take one or 2 days to realise how true this is.

I can't freaking believe it now.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Actually, the fact that this is a full-series stage instead of just Sticker Star might be a point against Paper Mario as a newcomer, since this is probably gonna be considered THE Paper Mario stage instead of just A Paper Mario stage. Besides, unless the Wii U version ALSO gets a PM stage, all of the newcomers have always gotten a home stage on the Wii U version, and this stage is on the 3DS version.

That said, I hope Paper DOES get in, add me to the support list!
Why you have to break mah poor innocent heart, man? I at least want to pretend he can be playable :(

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
My reaction when seeing the stage at first. "Pssh another grassy stage for Mario? So much variety and opportunity and yet Sakurai alwa.. Table-flipping Jesus that's from Paper but why the crappy one tho... Mario!!"

Now that I've calmed down and can speak coherently.. This bodes fantastically for our paper plumber, a lot of stages were revelad before the newcomer and this ups his chances by a lot. Tomorrow I'll be posting a short analysis on the matter in the thread if aldelaro5 doesn't beat me to it. Rejoice my friends, today is a good day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom