• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
OK so here's some substantiation but it's still a shaky quote though. It never refers specifically to Mewtwo being cut for time. It also kind of goes against the narrative that has been created since if Mewtwo was in a near-complete state like many say, that is farther along than just a "concept"... I'll give you that it is a valid possibility but I don't think it should be taken as absolute fact that it was only time that kept Mewtwo out. Especially when we know that other characters in the Forbidden 7 were not just cut for time. We also know that Game Freaks has a lot of control over who gets in for Pokemon. They may have had a say in directing Sakurai to focus more on their new prize ponies Lucario and the PT instead of Mewtwo.
Pokemon Trainer is a new prize pony?

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
My theory is that they will have 4 new characters in the Wii version.

Because of the trophies in the game I think they will be
1.Bandana Dee
2.Ridley
3.Snake
4.Isaac
(5.Roy alt for Lucina)

These 4(5) are surprising and seem unlikely but how can they not get acknowledged at all? Especially since 2 of them are veterans.
I think Snake has too unique of a move set not to be in and Roy would blow everyone's mind.

Just my theory. Later down the road DLC for Wii version and a newer version for the new 3ds that can support ice climbers, ect.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My theory is that they will have 4 new characters in the Wii version.

Because of the trophies in the game I think they will be
1.Roy
2.Ridley
3.Snake
4.Isaac

These 4 are surprising and seem unlikely but how can they not get acknowledged at all? Especially since 2 of them are veterans.
I think Snake has too unique of a move set not to be in and Roy would blow everyone's mind.

Just my theory. Later down the road DLC for Wii version and a newer version for the new 3ds that can support ice climbers, ect.
Likely the New 3DS version is getting nothing special in terms of playable characters. Old 3DS players can't be left out. It's a very fickle situation at this point. The best thing to do is give the 3DS cartridge and Wii U disc the exact same playable characters. Remember, if you can only get the characters on the New 3DS system, you leave earlier system owners out. Thus, you get pissed off fans. So keeping the rosters the same based upon the literal game and not the playable system succeeds in leaving no one out).

As for your list, I'm not so sure on some of them. He teased Ridley, so we at least know he is possible. Isaac is just in an odd placement. People wanted him, but Dark Dawn really bad reputation may make him less likely. He may still be an AT. Snake requires a lot of money, and we don't know if he can get him back. Konami and Nintendo aren't on good terms. This is likely why he was cut. It's quite possible he was originally coded in, but then removed due to executive meddling.(don't take the Fox Weekly article as more than a grain of salt. The site isn't the most credible, even if it's unrelated to Fox News, and an anonymous source is highly suspicious. Likewise, Sakurai might not be able to explain Snake's cut if it's executive meddling. That'd be basically dissing Nintendo, who he works for. He can't say bad stuff about them and all.) Roy has one issue. The other Roy. They have to recode the game so his name shows up as Roy Koopa as is. Likewise, let's say that Roy(Koopa) has the file names of Roy in the coding. Rewriting all of that just to add a guy with the same name isn't that easy. Sure, our firey guy is possible, but he'd have a new code name(Roy's was Fire_Emblem in Melee, notably) for every related file. It's not impossible, but they have to figure out if it's worth having two characters be announced by the announcer with the exact same name. Do they record new files? Do they re-use it by copying the file under a different name? Not that I don't want Roy back, but he's not that likely due to the work needed to be done.

There's a lot of miligating factors to take into account. We can all want these guys. But nothing's ever easy. I still think Ridley has the highest chance(at least if his Wii U role isn't a very complex stage hazard. If it is, his chances lower by default. If he has little programming, Sakurai can easily do another version of him. If he has very complex programming, he most likely only wanted him in that role. However, that may not matter either way, but that's just a plausible theory. If Ridley is a very complex stage hazard, he'd be the first one ever. That's why Sakurai teased him. That's why he wouldn't tell us a thing about him. He's a very special and unique programming idea. It's logical. I'm sure more think "playable" is a better thing to tease, but he may not see it the same, along with Mewtwo, and maybe a revamped Wolf/Lucas/Pichu. Mewtwo is highly popular. And to be fair, GameFreak may be why he's not in as well. As noted above, they tend to have some control over the choices. Sakurai outright works with them, for better or worse. Pichu has the same issue, but he's faster to make due to still being a clone, but can be updated with better moves, and maybe luigified a bit. He's no good as an alt solely because he hurts himself. Wolf is easy. Just remake him from Brawl with some balancing ideas based upon his build when they test. Lucas could play like his Brawl self with ease. He'd be different from Ness even in 4.(to note, Ness stole his B moves, and some of his A moves were changed up to be a combination of them).

It's a lot to read, but it's all worth noting. The one last thing to say is that if Sakurai wants someone playable for DLC, you might as well expect them in bar technical issues like the IC's(who are probably gone from 4(3DS and Wii U cartridge and disc respectively) for good unless he can fix those), or executive meddling from the creators of the characters, which I don't think is an issue for Ridley anyway, but could be for 3rd parties(I.E. Snake).

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Not to throw cold water on anyone's hopes and dreams, but they are almost certainly not going to make any special DLC for the New 3DS. Games sell systems, features sell systems, DLC won't. Based on my experience with how DLC is dealt with, any DLC will be made to be as compatible as possible, and that means any and all will be held to the limits of the 3DS.

Sakurai and the team have done astonishingly well to get everything they could out of the 3DS, but even so, there have been casualties, the Ice Climbers being a visible one, but who knows what other characters ended up on the cutting room floor (even just concepts) due to it. They showed off some of the tricks they used (half FPS assist trophies), and to be honest they deserve to be proud of what they pulled off, but unless they come up with something special, anything new will be working by the same restrictions.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with if there is DLC, but I really think we should be cautious with our expectations. I still think the lack of Ridley, Isaac and co is suspicious in the 3DS version, but you never know why that might be.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think that if theres any type of DLC, its just going to be stages, they're not going to make new characters and make sure they're balanced properly. Sakuria seems like the type of guy that once he's finished making a game, he's pretty much done with it.

Again, this is why i believe will be getting new characters by linking the systems. You really think that they won't do something like that because not everyone has a Wii U? Lol thats the whole point. To get people to buy both. If you don't, well then you're not getting all the characters.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I honestly think that if theres any type of DLC, its just going to be stages, they're not going to make new characters and make sure they're balanced properly. Sakuria seems like the type of guy that once he's finished making a game, he's pretty much done with it.

Again, this is why i believe will be getting new characters by linking the systems. You really think that they won't do something like that because not everyone has a Wii U? Lol thats the whole point. To get people to buy both. If you don't, well then you're not getting all the characters.
I think there may well be something in linking the systems, it would be a great way to move some units. They could also sell it as DLC a few months later for those who hold out, and use it to introduce the concept.

Who knows what they'll do though. I'd still suggest a lot of caution, as there is a very real likelihood that we now know the full roster for the lifetime of the game.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I did read it and it made me reconsider my list for reasons you have listed. Roy and Snake seem very unlikely after reading that and I didn't realize Isaac could still be a AT in the console version even though that doesn't make much sense.

Now I am not so sure what they are going to do but I do see more characters incoming. I want to say I would be happy with this final roster but I feel like that's the trick they have up the sleeve to get people to buy a Wii U.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I did read it and it made me reconsider my list for reasons you have listed. Roy and Snake seem very unlikely after reading that and I didn't realize Isaac could still be a AT in the console version even though that doesn't make much sense.

Now I am not so sure what they are going to do but I do see more characters incoming. I want to say I would be happy with this final roster but I feel like that's the trick they have up the sleeve to get people to buy a Wii U.
Well, Marth has a Roy clothing costume if it makes you feel better. :)

Anyway, I wasn't thinking you weren't going to read it. I was just noting it was a lot to take into account. Thank you for carefully reading it all. :) For the record, I want every veteran back, not as alts either(although I can make exception provided their key gimmick is kept. With Ness gaining a lot of Lucas' moves and traits, I don't mind that this much, but I'd rather he was separate in the end).

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been said before (probably has), but I can't see the Wii U having more characters on disc. What I can see is there being DLC characters for both game that are made available to both systems upon the Wii U's launch. Like both have the same on disc roster, but both can also DL the new characters for free, probably for X amount of time, and then a modest charge on them (5 bucks total).

Forcing connectivity seems counter intuitive to me, at least when they're being marketed as different games. I at least hope connecting your Wii U to one copy of 3ds means you can't link it to others if it's workting the way people are assuming. At worse, I'd like it connecting both systems to unlock the characters on BOTH system, rather than the Wii U starting with more characters.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
My theory is that they will have 5 newcomers in the Wii-U and 3DS version.

1.Ridley
2.Mewtwo
3.Karate Joe
4.Dixie Kong
5.Impa

8DS Roster.png

Sakurai should make Ice Climbers exclusive to the Wii-U Version.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
That picture has been making it's rounds on Reddit and Twitter.

He just used the trophy models for renders. So sadly, it's fake.
It's unlikely, but you never know what they would have done.

The fact that they just took a picture of the CSS, with none of the bottom screen though is a bit suspicious.

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
It's unlikely, but you never know what they would have done.

The fact that they just took a picture of the CSS, with none of the bottom screen though is a bit suspicious.
He could of done two more, but Chorus Men would be a obvious give away because of their simplistic-ness. Ridley does not have a trophy as well. Also Ness is so much a clone, that his own signature move was given to Ness as a custom. That is like Mario having a custom to throw pills, then adding Dr. Mario as a hostage veteran on the Wii U.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
where did you get this?
I found it on YouTube in one of the comments sections for the Star Wolf theme and in one of the other threads.

That picture has been making it's rounds on Reddit and Twitter.

He just used the trophy models for renders. So sadly, it's fake.
What if the trophy models were meant to be their playable models. To me this leak is unprovable for now. It could have been easily photo shopped or be completely legit. The only point I can really make against it is Wolf's module ( his assault look ) isn't detailed enough ( from what i saw in a video of his trophy) to be a playable module. I still think Wolf's got a chance. His brawl module hasn't been discovered yet and according to an apparent hack of the game Wolf has 7 textures while Lucas and Mewtwo only have 4. Until video footage or other significant info comes around, I say this leak is leaning towards fake, but is still unprovable.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
What if the trophy models were meant to be their playable models. To me this leak is unprovable for now. It could have been easily photo shopped or be completely legit. The only point I can really make against it is Wolf's module ( his assault look ) isn't detailed enough ( from what i saw in a video of his trophy) to be a playable module. I still think Wolf's got a chance. His brawl module hasn't been discovered yet and according to an apparent hack of the game Wolf has 7 textures while Lucas and Mewtwo only have 4. Until video footage or other significant info comes around, I say this leak is leaning towards fake, but is still unprovable.
Idk man, I think that the fact that the renders used are the trophy models' is pretty definitive proof it's fake, even though I'd love for Mewtwo to be in.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Idk man, I think that the fact that the renders used are the trophy models' is pretty definitive proof it's fake, even though I'd love for Mewtwo to be in.
Well even if it is fake I think Wolf at least has a chance due to the mysterious absence of his brawl module. He could be unlocked with Wii u transfer or be one of the first characters for DLC. Mewtwo and Lucas will hopefully be playable in this game via DLC.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Well even if it is fake I think Wolf at least has a chance due to the mysterious absence of his brawl module. He could be unlocked with Wii u transfer or be one of the first characters for DLC. Mewtwo and Lucas will hopefully be playable in this game via DLC.
"Brawl module"? Do you mean his brawl model, or data files used in brawl? I don't quite get what you mean there.

They change character models here and there. Ganondorf of Brawl was nothing like Melee's in terms of model. They've changed a few up for Smash 4 as well. The fact that he has a trophy that doesn't have some special name isn't great news for him, but you never know.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
"Brawl module"? Do you mean his brawl model, or data files used in brawl? I don't quite get what you mean there.

They change character models here and there. Ganondorf of Brawl was nothing like Melee's in terms of model. They've changed a few up for Smash 4 as well. The fact that he has a trophy that doesn't have some special name isn't great news for him, but you never know.
I mean his brawl look. Not the exact module from brawl. His trophy module stands out from the other characters because its not his brawl look nor detailed enough ( from what I could see) for smash bros. His supposed trophy description doesn't mention anything about smash bros unlike the Pokemon trainer's supposed trophy description. They would need to add in two more trophies of Wolf if he's playable, classic mode, which could be called Wolf ( smash), Wolf O'Donnell, or his current trophy could have its named changed to Wolf ( Assault) and Wolf be the name of his classic mode trophy. Secondly his all star mode trophy which would be called Wolf (ex). Similar arguments could be made for the other characters as well. Hope this helps.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I mean his brawl look. Not the exact module from brawl. His trophy module stands out from the other characters because its not his brawl look nor detailed enough ( from what I could see) for smash bros. His supposed trophy description doesn't mention anything about smash bros unlike the Pokemon trainer's supposed trophy description. They would need to add in two more trophies of Wolf if he's playable, classic mode, which could be called Wolf ( smash), Wolf O'Donnell, or his current trophy could have its named changed to Wolf ( Assault) and Wolf be the name of his classic mode trophy. Secondly his all star mode trophy which would be called Wolf (ex). Similar arguments could be made for the other characters as well. Hope this helps.
You mean model right? A module is something quite, quite different.

I would be surprised if they included a trophy of him if Wolf is already planned, but you never know. Nobody can be ruled out for DLC in general though.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=237943

So... What can we take from this? Mewtwo is just to hard to port from Melee? PM did it....

Sakurai also said some time ago that characters are created from scratch... What the hell then?
Probably something to do with translation. We don't know either what the question was, nor how he answered, we just have a translation from someone potentially not looking for those details. He may well have been asked "why not just take the data from Melee", he may have been asked many things.

If they were to make a character, it would almost certainly be from scratch.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
You mean model right? A module is something quite, quite different.

I would be surprised if they included a trophy of him if Wolf is already planned, but you never know. Nobody can be ruled out for DLC in general though.
What could have happened is due to time restraints, they couldn't finish Wolf in time and since his trophy was already there they just renamed it from Wolf ( Assault ) to Wolf. If he took the Wolf trophy out completely then people would be suspicious. I really hope he's playable. Having just Fox and Falco is too boring, too many goodie goodies I need Wolf to come in with his bad*** theme playing in the background and KO the both of them while saying " Play Times Over Starfox".

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So... What can we take from this? Mewtwo is just to hard to port from Melee? PM did it....

Sakurai also said some time ago that characters are created from scratch... What the hell then?
Mewtwo wasn't ported from Melee in PM, he was completely built up new

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I do think there will be a difference between versions. Otherwise Nintendo just made their first big mistake in Smash Bros. Especially as there could be now up to 3 months of silence. Nintendo are not stupid. They know doing that without new content to show will destroy sales for the Wii U. So there is a difference. The question is what? Extra Stages? Characters? A new mode? I personally want the Events back. They were fun little challenges

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I do think there will be a difference between versions. Otherwise Nintendo just made their first big mistake in Smash Bros. Especially as there could be now up to 3 months of silence. Nintendo are not stupid. They know doing that without new content to show will destroy sales for the Wii U. So there is a difference. The question is what? Extra Stages? Characters? A new mode? I personally want the Events back. They were fun little challenges
Event matches were AWESOME. And are we getting stage builder this time around? I haven't even pondered that.

World

Smash Cadet

Sakurai has stated that he wanted consumers to have as close to the same experience as possible on both the Wii U and 3DS. It also doesn't matter to him which version you preferred.

The recent confirmation on Ice Climbers being removed from 3DS while they could work on Wii U shows that characters aren't it. We know that stages will be different so new modes could also be possible.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Sakurai has stated that he wanted consumers to have as close to the same experience as possible on both the Wii U and 3DS. It also doesn't matter to him which version you preferred.

The recent confirmation on Ice Climbers being removed from 3DS while they could work on Wii U shows that characters aren't it. We know that stages will be different so new modes could also be possible.
Sakurai you are backing yourself into a corner by showing us all of the cards. You better do some card trickery and make those cards get turned upside down...

And for the record, I am content with the roster. There are a few characters who did not get in that I think deserved a slot but other than that it is a solid fighter roster

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
One thing accured to me

WARNING UBER SPOILER BELOW

Metal face is a lie its just a mech suit

His real name is mumkhar

I know him as one of the transfer/patch/dlc characters (if there) is a pretty psycho theory.

But could we predict these guys for each

64: :falcon64::ness64:
Melee::drmario::icsmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Brawl: :lucario::lucas::ike::pit::rob::snake::toonlink: and :mewtwopm: Being kicked
Wii U/3DS ::4bowserjr:(After rosalina) :4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt::4greninja::4lucina::4robinm::4wiifit::4tlink:(After the first ever trailer)

In other words we can't predict the man no matter how hard we try

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
One thing accured to me

WARNING UBER SPOILER BELOW

Metal face is a lie its just a mech suit

His real name is mumkhar

I know him as one of the transfer/patch/dlc characters (if there) is a pretty psycho theory.

But could we predict these guys for each

64: :falcon64::ness64:
Melee::drmario::icsmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Brawl: :lucario::lucas::ike::pit::rob::snake::toonlink: and :mewtwopm: Being kicked
Wii U/3DS ::4bowserjr:(After rosalina) :4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt::4greninja::4lucina::4robinm::4wiifit::4tlink:(After the first ever trailer)

In other words we can't predict the man no matter how hard we try
Two reps from Xenoblade now would be PUSHING IT. Before franchises start getting newcomers left and right we need some well loved veterans to come back first like WOLF and Mewtwo. Shulk is fine for now. Metal face can be discussed as a playable character after at Least Wolf Is PLAYABLE. Metal Face may be a good villain, but we need the original sharp claw fighter (Wolf )playable first before the new one. ( Metal Face).

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Well, Marth has a Roy clothing costume if it makes you feel better. :)

Anyway, I wasn't thinking you weren't going to read it. I was just noting it was a lot to take into account. Thank you for carefully reading it all. :) For the record, I want every veteran back, not as alts either(although I can make exception provided their key gimmick is kept. With Ness gaining a lot of Lucas' moves and traits, I don't mind that this much, but I'd rather he was separate in the end).
I wish I could say the same about Ness having Lucas' moves, but being an older guy with a family and friends who have families, I pretty much have to resort to online play with mostly random people; which means no customs...boo.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Two reps from Xenoblade now would be PUSHING IT. Before franchises start getting newcomers left and right we need some well loved veterans to come back first like WOLF and Mewtwo. Shulk is fine for now. Metal face can be discussed as a playable character after at Least Wolf Is PLAYABLE. Metal Face may be a good villain, but we need the original sharp claw fighter (Wolf )playable first before the new one. ( Metal Face).
As a Wolf main, I must say there are a lot of characters that have priority over Wolf in my book. But yeah, making Metal Face playable would not be a good idea. At all.

D

Deleted member

In case if DLC happen, who'll be in charge for them?

I mean, one day or another, Smash Bros. for Wii U will come out and Sakurai will end up his job as his Director.

And, as opposed to Nintendo EAD with Mario Kart 8's DLC, Bandai-Namco isn't owned by Nintendo...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wish I could say the same about Ness having Lucas' moves, but being an older guy with a family and friends who have families, I pretty much have to resort to online play with mostly random people; which means no customs...boo.
To be fair, their B moves were very similar in the first place. However, an alt or separate is better than nothing, imo. You can play online With Friends, though. Which means Customs. :grin:

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
In case if DLC happen, who'll be in charge for them?

I mean, one day or another, Smash Bros. for Wii U will come out and Sakurai will end up his job as his Director.

And, as opposed to Nintendo EAD with Mario Kart 8's DLC, Bandai-Namco isn't owned by Nintendo...
Why would Sakurai leave?

Maybe he will stay to check how the DLC is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom