• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Aside from Mewtwo I'd settle for some small things, like actually having Peach's Daisy outfit be named Daisy (with announcer) and Lucas added as a Ness alt. I'm not greedy
Same. I'd be happy with just Lucas as an additional character at this point (and Dixie Kong to a lesser extent).

Having Lucas as a Ness alt would however upset those who mained Lucas in Brawl, since outside of size and speed, Ness and Lucas have only 5 moves with similar properties, but still very different.
I mained Lucas in Brawl and I could care less if he returns "only" as a Ness alt. I'd prefer that than not have him in the game at all.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
Do they have some sort of magic number of Mewtwo sales + Mewtwo redeems to decide whether or not to make DLC? I doubt it. Do they have an as of yet unrevealed strategy to test the DLC waters and see how viable it is? I would take 1000:1 odds on it.
I think it would come down to who would produce it. Sakuri and the Smash Bros. team are probably already working on a new game, or some new project at the very least. Who would be in charge of maintaining and providing the DLC? Then, how much control would Sakuri want himself?

It would be easy to take a small team from Nintendo development to just develop and work on DLC for games. In fact, I don't even know how it works with other games. Do some Halo 3 gents work on DLC while the rest work on the next installment? Is it a combination of job responsibilities? How awkward would it be to be working on a different IP or genre yet develop DLC for an older game. As a dev you'd need to be in the mindset of say, a FPS and an RPG at once. During initial development stages I could see it being very tough to crunch both projects at once.

We all know Smash sells. Nintendo profits rose how huge just because of this game? It would be crazy not to cash into paid DLC for it, but this also is Nintendo...2 steps back from the rest of the industry. I think if some agreement could be put into place where Sakuri has minimal control and maybe just playtests or has the final say on DLC it would be much easier to produce. But then, we might not get quality. Who knows? I am just here willing to say I will pay for DLC. You hear me Nintendo?

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Evening all. I am just dropping by this once in the hopes to stop denial.

I saw Namco hiring staff shortly after 3DS version of Smash Bros came out. According to the logic of many on this board they are paying fresh staff members to work on a single character and a free tournament mode. A lot of trouble to go to.

Then we have an audio file which popped up for a character not in the game. A few theories have linked this to Miis which I call BS on because they don't pay voice actors for the sake of a useless audio file. If it was for Miis they would use it for Miis. It is obviously for a character who was in the game that isn't in anymore. The more obvious answer is that it is a DLC character. But wait Sakurai said Mewtwo was the only paid DLC in development..... after he said no paid DLC was in development.

For Mewtwo, I politely request that people stop saying he has just started because I also call BS on that. The decision to promote Mewtwo through Club Nintendo was made before proper marketing for the game happened. That must have been Summer??? June or July I guess. What did Sakurai say at that point in time again? DLC wasn't even being thought about until the game is being played by people. Mewtwo proves this is also BS because the decision to promote him this way was made before the 3DS version came out. So Sakurai lied when he said DLC wasn't being thought about until the game was out.

Put simply, Namco is not hiring a bunch of fresh staff to finish a character that started development months ago. No he did not just start development. But he didn't make it into the game in time either. He has been in development for months. This is factual. And they definitely aren't paying staff to give us a free tournament mode.

More DLC is coming. The audio file is for another one. What your reasons are for being in denial about DLC is I don't know. My theory is that you guys just don't want more things which is madness really because more is always good. Mewtwo does not take August/September - Spring to complete when they have a moveset figured out. Its logic. More DLC is coming. Namco hired fresh staff because more DLC is in the works and Sakurai is lying.

Sakurai has lied so many times and people still believe him? He said Animal Crossing Villager can't work. He said dogs can't be playable. He said DLC wasn't being thought about until the game came out. He is definitely lying when he says Mewtwo just started production. What kind of lie will it take to get you guys to stop listening to the BS he spews?

TLDR: Sakurai is a liar and more DLC is coming. Deal with it.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Is it just me or is testing DLC with mewtwo a terrible idea? He'll undoubtedly sell more than any other character they could add, it's not really an accurate representation of how well it'll actually do. There'll be plenty of people buying it because it's mewtwo not for the sake of extra content

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I highly doubt Nintendo needs to test the market for how DLC will be received by the user base: it's Super Smash Bros. The only other game outside of Zelda and possibly Metroid that causes mass hysteria among grown men and women. Nintendo knows it will sell, we all know it will sell -- seriously, just look around. Problem is: who is going to make the DLC? You can't just create a character and drop them into the mix of other fighters without any kind of balancing or playtesting involved. Both of those things take time. Even with the stages there are effectively two stages for every one with Final Destination modes being an option this game around. And all of these things have to be integrated with the plethora of other modes available. Could this correlate with Namco's mysterious Super Smash Bros. 6 job listings earlier in the year? Possibly, though I think the likelihood of it being a listing error for Soul Caliber 6 is greater. Either way, we're going to likely have to wait until next E3 before we hear about any extra content next year.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I highly doubt Nintendo needs to test the market for how DLC will be received by the user base: it's Super Smash Bros. The only other game outside of Zelda and possibly Metroid that causes mass hysteria among grown men and women. Nintendo knows it will sell, we all know it will sell -- seriously, just look around. Problem is: who is going to make the DLC? You can't just create a character and drop them into the mix of other fighters without any kind of balancing or playtesting involved. Both of those things take time. Even with the stages there are effectively two stages for every one with Final Destination modes being an option this game around. And all of these things have to be integrated with the plethora of other modes available. Could this correlate with Namco's mysterious Super Smash Bros. 6 job listings earlier in the year? Possibly, though I think the likelihood of it being a listing error for Soul Caliber 6 is greater. Either way, we're going to likely have to wait until next E3 before we hear about any extra content next year.
How do you mix up soul calibur and smash bros?

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Is it just me or is testing DLC with mewtwo a terrible idea? He'll undoubtedly sell more than any other character they could add, it's not really an accurate representation of how well it'll actually do. There'll be plenty of people buying it because it's mewtwo not for the sake of extra content
He's the perfect character to test out DLC with. Nintendo and Sora know that Mewtwo is the most popular veteran to return, despite his shortcomings in Melee. They know he'll sell well. They just don't know HOW well. That's why Mewtwo's there- to gauge how much people will be receptive to the idea of Smash DLC.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
If they work as Mario Kart 8, Mewtwo will come together some extra stages and two characters no one asked for, and if we are lucky they will be not clones, but I wouldn't bet so.
Question: Has anyone seen Barbara The Bat in the game yet? I only found her wig for my miis.
We know her trophy is in the game:
http://i.imgur.com/R6ssUZC.jpg
And gooddamn! It's pretty high definited.
I don't want to be too optimistic about her. But if it was just a trophy, sholdn't she have her trademark guitar?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If they work as Mario Kart 8, Mewtwo will come together some extra stages and two characters no one asked for, and if we are lucky they will be not clones, but I wouldn't bet so.
Question: Has anyone seen Barbara The Bat in the game yet? I only found her wig for my miis.
We know her trophy is in the game:
http://i.imgur.com/R6ssUZC.jpg
And gooddamn! It's pretty high definited.
I don't want to be too optimistic about her. But if it was just a trophy, sholdn't she have her trademark guitar?
I'm pretty sure they just ripped her brawl model

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Well of course it's gonna sell. The question is by how much. By their definition, it means a lot of sales. In fact, anyone who downloads Mewtwo for free actually paid for it by buying both versions.

If you mean it's going to sell well no matter what and you're 100% certain, which it seems that way given that you are insulting others, then that means you can see the future. Can you tell me when World War III will start so I can make preparations for that day?

Do you honestly think that the future is a guarantee? It doesn't help that you're insulting people to make yourself look good. While I do believe more DLC is on the way, this is different than any other type of DLC Nintendo has done before. Look at all the variables: different fanbase, different genre, different director... Do you honestly think that Sakurai is going to take a gigantic risk to only find that he wasted tremendous resources? What I'm saying is that this time the risk outweighs the reward, and to release other DLC characters a few months after Mewtwo tests, then it is probably a smart move. A lot of people hate paid DLC in fighting games like this, so we don't know how they'll react to other DLC, or even to Mewtwo, one of the most popular and iconic characters out there.
I do think its certain it will sell. And that is my opinion. Whether i state it as factual or not doesnt matter its an opinion. Maybe you should think about that before you get all offended from taking this nonsense too seriously.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Aside from Mewtwo I'd settle for some small things, like actually having Peach's Daisy outfit be named Daisy (with announcer) and Lucas added as a Ness alt. I'm not greedy
All I need is Wolf. Is it really that hard to bring back Wolf, even the game itself is already prepared for Wolf's inevitable return. Just look at the Star Wolf trophy case ( which for some very ODD reason is the first trophy box in the Star Fox series, no seriously that seems a bit off, especially since Wolf isn't playable... yet), but that's not the main point, notice something inconsistent with that trophy box?

Yeah don't you think they could fit 2 more trophies on the bottom row? And what 2 trophies you might ask? Wolf (smash bros) and his final smash. It just looks really weird to have this inconsistency in the trophy box, not to mention its kid of out of order.

Take a look at the Star Fox trophy case as an example of the 4 spots on the bottom.
Everything is all set up for Wolf's return, He's got 3 themes, the codecs, and space for his playable and final smash trophies in his trophy case. I think he was a late cut. I expect Wolf DLC, I just don't know how long I'll have to wait for it.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
All I need is Wolf. Is it really that hard to bring back Wolf, even the game itself is already prepared for Wolf's inevitable return. Just look at the Star Wolf trophy case ( which for some very ODD reason is the first trophy box in the Star Fox series, no seriously that seems a bit off, especially since Wolf isn't playable... yet), but that's not the main point, notice something inconsistent with that trophy box?

Yeah don't you think they could fit 2 more trophies on the bottom row? And what 2 trophies you might ask? Wolf (smash bros) and his final smash. It just looks really weird to have this inconsistency in the trophy box, not to mention its kid of out of order.

Take a look at the Star Fox trophy case as an example of the 4 spots on the bottom.
Everything is all set up for Wolf's return, He's got 3 themes, the codecs, and space for his playable and final smash trophies in his trophy case. I think he was a late cut. I expect Wolf DLC, I just don't know how long I'll have to wait for it.
How many trophies are in the Star Fox: Assault case? if it's the same then that could be a major point in his favour

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I am amazed this thread is still going on. It's becoming increasingly obvious we are only getting Mewtwo when it comes down to DLC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I am amazed this thread is still going on. It's becoming increasingly obvious we are only getting Mewtwo when it comes down to DLC.
It's obvious he's the only character coming out through Spring and some of Summer. Can't say more characters will never come, though. Maybe, maybe not.

Also, don't forget we are getting a Stage and Mode DLC later. regardless of being free, it's DLC none the less.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
It's obvious he's the only character coming out through Spring and some of Summer. Can't say more characters will never come, though. Maybe, maybe not.

Also, don't forget we are getting a Stage and Mode DLC later. regardless of being free, it's DLC none the less.
Mode DLC? Which is this?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
How many trophies are in the Star Fox: Assault case? if it's the same then that could be a major point in his favour

It has 1 more than Star Fox, and that 1 trophy more is the Orbital gate itself. The Star Wolf trophy case needs at least 2 more trophies (Wolf (playable) and Wolf Final Smash) to be on par with the other 2 Star Fox trophy cases, plus why is Star Wolf's case first, maybe Sakurai had to work on it when he made Wolf's late cut. And 2015 will be Year of the Star Fox, Wolf is from the Star Fox series. Also on a completely off topic note, a new smash king is out!
Mode DLC? Which is this?
Tourney mode.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I do think its certain it will sell. And that is my opinion. Whether i state it as factual or not doesnt matter its an opinion. Maybe you should think about that before you get all offended from taking this nonsense too seriously.
You go and call people 'stupid' and 'lost' over an opinion and NOT expect offense? I'm sorry, but maybe you should think about how others would react to being insulted over their OPINION.

I wasn't taking this too seriously, but when you start throwing insults for no good reason, then you get on my bad side.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
O.T. Question: How do I access to the trophy cases? Maybe I'm stupid but I haven't figured it out yet.

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
O.T. Question: How do I access to the trophy cases? Maybe I'm stupid but I haven't figured it out yet.
When you're looking at certain trophies in the gallery (because not every trophy is part of a section) there will be an option below to check the trophy case that trophy is part of (the button obviously varies fro whatever controller you use).

And don't feel stupid, I looked everywhere and I still don't know where how to access where you can place trophies around and arrange them how you want and then take a funny screenshot.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
When you're looking at certain trophies in the gallery (because not every trophy is part of a section) there will be an option below to check the trophy case that trophy is part of (the button obviously varies fro whatever controller you use).

And don't feel stupid, I looked everywhere and I still don't know where how to access where you can place trophies around and arrange them how you want and then take a funny screenshot.
I'm pretty sure it's in your trophy horde.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I think it's in the trophy hoard

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kinda surprised we haven't done anything with this thread yet, though I don't see much of a point in locking it as long as discussion is productive which it seems to be.

Am going to move it to the Character forum with all the other DLC threads though.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

Krystal isn't there either...
Confirmed: Krystal is joining Star Wolf in Star Fox (Wii U)!:troll:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Isn't there a command ending with her joining star wolf?

Honestly I wouldn't mind that though, plus it allows them to keep the original star fox team while keeping krystal around, hell bring in kursed, if they write her well it could be cool

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Neither is Tricky...:troll: Year of the Star Fox is only a few days away.
Also what I don't get is why they completely cut some assist trophies, would it really be that hard just to give them a simple trophy?

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Perhaps she'll be in a Starfox Adventures trophy box? If we were to get Krystal as a DLC character, they could add some Starfox Adventures trophies into the collection.

Oh! How about an entire Starfox themed DLC pack? Wolf and Krystal as playable characters (a veteran and a newcomer sounds great to me), bring back the classic Great Fox stage in glorious HD (seriously, that's a classic Smash Bros. level), a new Dinosaur Planet stage for Krystal, more starfox music, trophies and assist trophies.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Just for comparison here's what DLC has been like for other Nintendo games,
Mario Tennis Open: Yoshi's and Metal Mario QR codes.
Fire Emblem Awakening: Extra characters and levels.
Animal Crossing New Leaf: Various DLC items distributed monthly.
New Super Mario Bros 2: New mode with new levels included.
New Super Mario Bros U:New Super Luigi U.
Kirby Triple Deluxe: Dedede's Drum dash deluxe and Kirby Fighters deluxe.
Steel Diver Sub Wars: Various subs and Premium mode.
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: The mini-games.
Mario Golf World Tour: More characters and courses.
Mario Kart 8: More characters and more race tracks.
Tomodachi Life: Various DLC items distributed for half a month each.
Hyrule Warriors: New story mode and levels, plus costumes for some characters.
The 3DS itself: The theme shop and its various themes.
Super Smash Bros for WiiU/3DS:(at the moment) Mewtwo(1 character),Miiverse stage(1 stage),Tourney mode(1mode):glare:
Smash bros currently has the least amount of DLC (except for maybe Mario Tennis Open) out of all the games at the moment. Just do some more DLC characters:wolf::lucas:(maybe:popo:). Then maybe do some more stages, New Pork, Sector Z, Summit.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He's the perfect character to test out DLC with. Nintendo and Sora know that Mewtwo is the most popular veteran to return, despite his shortcomings in Melee. They know he'll sell well. They just don't know HOW well. That's why Mewtwo's there- to gauge how much people will be receptive to the idea of Smash DLC.
It doesn't gauge it at all.
A huge chunk of people who WOULD purchase Mewtwo, get him for free, because they own both versions.
Yet, owning both versions does not mean a consumer would pay for Mewtwo- if there is an assumption that consumers don't want DLC, but would want both games, consumers who own both games cannot be counted toward the total number of purchases.

In short, Mewtwo does not actually test the DLC pool at all.

Well of course it's gonna sell. The question is by how much. By their definition, it means a lot of sales. In fact, anyone who downloads Mewtwo for free actually paid for it by buying both versions.

If you mean it's going to sell well no matter what and you're 100% certain, which it seems that way given that you are insulting others, then that means you can see the future. Can you tell me when World War III will start so I can make preparations for that day?

Do you honestly think that the future is a guarantee? It doesn't help that you're insulting people to make yourself look good. While I do believe more DLC is on the way, this is different than any other type of DLC Nintendo has done before. Look at all the variables: different fanbase, different genre, different director... Do you honestly think that Sakurai is going to take a gigantic risk to only find that he wasted tremendous resources? What I'm saying is that this time the risk outweighs the reward, and to release other DLC characters a few months after Mewtwo tests, then it is probably a smart move. A lot of people hate paid DLC in fighting games like this, so we don't know how they'll react to other DLC, or even to Mewtwo, one of the most popular and iconic characters out there.
I think it is a little bit silly to say that the genre separates it from likelihood of DLC. Fighting games almost always have DLC nowadays: marvel versus, Mortal Kombat, DC Universe, Soul Calibre, ... the genre is a reason it would be granted access to certain DLC.

All I need is Wolf. Is it really that hard to bring back Wolf
Every fan just wants their one single most deserving character back. I'd fight you to the end to prove mine (Pokemon Trainer) is more deserving, too. That's the difficulty with 'just one more.'

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I highly doubt Nintendo needs to test the market for how DLC will be received by the user base: it's Super Smash Bros. The only other game outside of Zelda and possibly Metroid that causes mass hysteria among grown men and women. Nintendo knows it will sell, we all know it will sell -- seriously, just look around.
Yeah. I think Nintendo would have to actively try to add a dlc character that wouldn't sell well. The smash fanbase will likely flock to any character that's considered even remotely deserving/interesting.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I think it is a little bit silly to say that the genre separates it from likelihood of DLC. Fighting games almost always have DLC nowadays: marvel versus, Mortal Kombat, DC Universe, Soul Calibre, ... the genre is a reason it would be granted access to certain DLC.
True, but we have to consider every variable. Nintendo's fighting games may very well be different than all the others, but then again, it isn't likely. I'm a believer we will get more DLC, but apparently we'll likely have to wait until after Mewtwo tests things out (but considering there are exceptions to paid DLC, makes the results inaccurate...), or hope that he'll come out in a pack, which what given was said in the 50 Fact Extravaganza, the second possibility is unlikely.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Surprise for me however ... was that they put the Rayman as Trophy and be amazed more if they put as DLC character. The same applies to other third-party characters. This is something I did not expect ... ie to put third party characters as trophies. On the view that these put playable characters.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

Thank you! About yours. First of all you need a SD card inserted in the Wii U. Do you have?

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
Thank you! About yours. First of all you need a SD card inserted in the Wii U. Do you have?
It's fine, I was already informed by an earlier post that for some reason it's hidden in the trophy hoard as a game pad function. Thanks anyway good sir.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
Yeah. I think Nintendo would have to actively try to add a dlc character that wouldn't sell well. The smash fanbase will likely flock to any character that's considered even remotely deserving/interesting.
I still think the real issue here is Sakuri and his team. I don't think the phrasing "Mewtwo is testing the waters" was meant from a monetary standpoint, at least initially. I think it means how much resource is needed to create a new character, and from there it will be the basis upon how much more content is pushed out. GTA5 next-gen re-release is a prime example of how willing gamers are to buy content for games they already own. I have friends who re-bought the entire game just for the graphics.

I think the probably of us getting more DLC would come from: character = available resources + time + user consumption. Thinking about it, Mewtwo isn't really free DLC. It got you to buy both versions of the game, or it'll cost you money if you haven't. I think there will need to be some tweaking that they are going to use Mewtwo as the standard for. If Mewtwo rakes in enough money to make it profitable for Sakuri's team to keep investing in DLC I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Then again, if the return isn't good enough I can't see them pushing additional resources into something so complex as a new character. I think it's that simple.

I don't think it's a matter of will it make money. That's a given. But will the investment be worth the return? That's what Mewtwo is for. I'm more concerned about how Namco-Bandai will provision additional man-hours to get DLC out in a timely manner.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
Wolf's a veteran though

Either way this is a thing now
That's like.. the dream roster that a lot of people would be happy with.. ;-; I wouldn't really think the squid girl from splatoon would be in this installment of smash but definitely in the next along with Wonderful 101 and Captain Toad. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom