• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Once again, I did not say they play similarly for meta game play.
Yet this game is targeted for people to pick up and play, and that is a large bracket of the audience.
To the person picking up the game, if they choose Lucas, Ness, Mario, and Peach, I'd place money on the notion that they look at the first two and say they are similar. All tweaks aside, it doesn't matter until you get experienced with a character. I don't care if the trajectory of impact for one move changs the entire game for people who know all the characters inside and out, and come to a smash forum to post about it. If an individual cannot take a step back from this and see that Lucas and Ness are similar, or at least, cannot fathom how others would think this, then I question what it is they watch when they look at the game.
Shame most people judge by appearances. Elementary school teachers I had seem to be trying to drill into your head that appearances don't matter, yet everybody (including me) often judge by appearance. But same logic could be applied to Mario and Luigi too. They look similar, so they must be clones!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Shame most people judge by appearances. Elementary school teachers I had seem to be trying to drill into your head that appearances don't matter, yet everybody (including me) often judge by appearance. But same logic could be applied to Mario and Luigi too. They look similar, so they must be clones!
I mean, if you are only playing on a basic level, then they are pretty similar. If Sakurai wanted them to appear differently, he could have given their 'unique moves' completely different animations. Yet, he did not, because he wanted them to seem similar.

Regardless, in life, appearances actually do matter a lot, and that is absolutely not always a bad thing. Our eyes and sense of aesthetic can be very intuitive.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I mean, if you are only playing on a basic level, then they are pretty similar. If Sakurai wanted them to appear differently, he could have given their 'unique moves' completely different animations. Yet, he did not, because he wanted them to seem similar.

Regardless, in life, appearances actually do matter a lot, and that is absolutely not always a bad thing. Our eyes and sense of aesthetic can be very intuitive.
On a basic level? You mean like they can use dash attack at the exact same time and still connect without greater or less fear of retaliation as the animation progresses or the end lag? Or that their smashes are equally easy to KO with? I'm sorry, but Ness for a low level player is far harder to use than Lucas due to his KO moves not being centered around his smashes, and the fact that Lucas dominates the ground more than Ness. Low level players center around ground game, not aerial game and possibly not grab game. They would not venture into the aerial game unless they make the jump to intermediate level.

By the way, PK Freeze does have a different animation. So would every single special attack save for PKT if you put color, name, and elemental similarities above direction and placement.

And yes, I know appearances are important, but I'm talking about 'not judging a book by it's cover', which is what elementary teachers try to drill into our heads. Cliche, I know, but it is true.

please list exactly which moves you are talking about.
Pretty sure he means his specials.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The thing is, we all do judge a book by its cover, so inherently the statement is flawed. A better example would be 'make sure the cover of the book portrays what is inside,' which is a creators job. Even if a publisher often decides this, a cover is the frame of the content, and a substantial portion of artistry is making sure the content is viewed in the right frame. I think Sakurai did that by making Ness and Lucas seem so similar.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
The thing is, we all do judge a book by its cover, so inherently the statement is flawed. A better example would be 'make sure the cover of the book portrays what is inside,' which is a creators job. Even if a publisher often decides this, a cover is the frame of the content, and a substantial portion of artistry is making sure the content is viewed in the right frame. I think Sakurai did that by making Ness and Lucas seem so similar.
have you played both Earthbound and Mother 3? Just... a yes or no answer. No elaborations.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
...did you even read my last post? Jabs, d-tilts, and f-tilts are similar, but what low-level player resorts to d-tilts and u-tilts (which are different by the way)? They go for the smashes, which only their f-smashes are remotely similar but Lucas's is far faster while Ness's is stronger. U-smash: Giant disjointed upwards blast vs round-the-world yo-yo swing? Yo-yo has no KO power, upwards blast kills ridiculously early. D-smash? Walk the dog yo-yo vs Mewtwo d-smash x 3? Lucas's d-smash is more laggy, but has more KO power than Ness's in Brawl. Ness's was hard to use in Brawl. And like I said earlier, low-leveled players pay little to no attention to the aerial game and maybe grab game.

I could go over his specials again, but I already did that in a previous post, and I want to read my book.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
It wouldn't be surprising if multiple DLC characters are being worked on at once. Sure it takes a while to make a full fledged character, but it sounds a little silly to have a whole team work on one character at a time.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
It wouldn't be surprising if multiple DLC characters are being worked on at once. Sure it takes a while to make a full fledged character, but it sounds a little silly to have a whole team work on one character at a time.
On the other side, I was thinking that we won't get "usual" DLC like Mario Kart or Hyrule Warriors, but maybe we will get bonus single character for buying other games.

Like, we get Mewtwo if we buy both version of Smash, Wolf will be a bonus character if you register the next Star Fox game, and so on...

Considering how much time and work is needed for a single character, either this or a single big expansion pack with 6-7 new character, some new stages and trophy.

D

Deleted member

I know the average length of time for an original character can take about a year (Clones are much faster), but it would be annoying (and a waste of resources) if the entire Smash department spent all that time on one character. I still think Mewtwo is the test, and they will plan on utilizing Smash Bros. DLC in waves if Mewtwo proves to be successful.

My issue is that Sakurai views the concept of DLC as "Oh, this game wasn't complete, so I hope you buy this to complete the game." So many unscrupulous developers have butchered DLC as both this and as a means to fix bad glitches as a result of rushing out the game, but to me, if DLC is meant to be additional content to enhance, not complete, the game, then there won't be nearly as much of a negative stigma. I don't complain about characters being left out because I know it's a lengthy process, but I did have issues with the idea that if a character doesn't have a recent or future project to hype/shill (unless they have seniority, as was the case for Captain Falcon), they didn't belong. Heck, even that didn't help some characters, as Isaac had a game in 2009/2010, yet disappeared entirely. I'm hoping that the DLC addition is to add characters who have popularity more than a project simply because it would help out in sales... but that should not be the only reasoning to add newcomers.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
So many unscrupulous developers have butchered DLC as both this and as a means to fix bad glitches as a result of rushing out the game
Yes, indeed. Take Destiny or Assassins Creed Unity, the first basically have no story and is a "10 years project", while the other was a glitchfest.
Sakurai explained that announcing a DLC was a bad move because many people would have thought that they left out some character just to add them later as paid DLC. Nintendo is very careful to avoid that kind of attitude, basically they don't want to be EA 2.0...

Mewtwo being a test is actually a good move, for several reasons. The first that come to mind (at least, for me) is to check if the game is actually capable of supporting DLC character. While this may be obvious, is not. World of Warcraft had several content patches and expansions, but sometimes something goes wrong (we are humans after all, mistakes in the coding may happen) and developpers have to fix asap, so releasing a single character may test waters very well for this purpose.

Another thing is the actual character: Mewtwo is both a veteran AND a newcomer. Melee fans like him, but he has a new move set (its not a clone of an ACTUAL character, so new coding is required), and is a very popular pokemon overall. Considering that casual players are actually the majority of Smash 4 buyers, is rather plausible that most of them barely know about Mewtwo comeback.
So, how will they react when they log for an online match an see a new character? Will they buy it? Will it be too expensive? And, if the price is rather low, will the buyers be enough to repay the workout?

Many questions, only time will tell!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
It just makes no sense, You have an entire dev team who made 51 characters and worked on ? cut characters, 60-70 stages, two different classic modes, Special orders, trophy rush, multi man, home run contest, target blast, all star mode, smash run, smash tour(though that was probably the biggest waste of time they ever did), events, and a bunch of other stuff. What do we know they're working on? 1 character(Mewtwo), 1 stage(Miiverse, not too excited on this one), and 1 mode(tourney). It makes no sense.
Dev: Hey Sakurai, now that the game's out, I think me and some other guys can fix up Ice Climbers.
Sakurai:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YOU EITHER WORK ON MEWTWO,MIIVERSE STAGE, OR TOURNEY MODE!
Dev: Hey Sakurai, I think we can finish up Wolf and have him out by March or earlier, we all really like him and wouldn't mind working to get him in.
Sakurai:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YOU EITHER WORK ON MEWTWO,MIIVERSE STAGE, OR TOURNEY MODE! Though Wolf is my favorite Starfox character and it IS the Year of Starfox, and a new Starfox game is coming out, hmm maybe I should have some guys finish up Wolf.
It makes sense to work on more characters now, that way you don't have to work more later. If you already have more DLC characters done after Mewtwo, you won't have to work on them later if you just did Mewtwo. If Mewtwo is a test, make Wolf a gift.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
What do we know they're working on? 1 character(Mewtwo), 1 stage(Miiverse, not too excited on this one), and 1 mode(tourney). It makes no sense.
Well, if those DLC are actually for testing waters, that makes sense: a character, a stage and a game mode. Once they figured out how much money/work those single thing cost, and see how they are received individually by players, they can easily start to think about either working on paid DLC or not.

After all, game are investments, and paid DLC too, right? If making one new stage cost them too much money and nobody buy it, they will (of course) stop making new stages, paid DLC or not. If, on the other hand, the new character gain a lot of success and people seems interested, more character will come.

By the way, Sakurai's crew is not working on a single character, but on two: one for the 3DS, one for the Wii U. If you think about it, that's most likely why Bowser Jr. was about to get cut. He got an entirely new moveset, and 8 different character models (similar of course, but still needed different 3d models), so basically for this newcomer they worked on 16 different 3d models, animations and effects at once, on top of new moveset. And twice, since the game got two versions.
A lot of work for a single fighter, huh? Considering the game has 51, it doesn't surprise me we got Lucina and Dark Pit...

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Well, if those DLC are actually for testing waters, that makes sense: a character, a stage and a game mode. Once they figured out how much money/work those single thing cost, and see how they are received individually by players, they can easily start to think about either working on paid DLC or not.

After all, game are investments, and paid DLC too, right? If making one new stage cost them too much money and nobody buy it, they will (of course) stop making new stages, paid DLC or not. If, on the other hand, the new character gain a lot of success and people seems interested, more character will come.

By the way, Sakurai's crew is not working on a single character, but on two: one for the 3DS, one for the Wii U. If you think about it, that's most likely why Bowser Jr. was about to get cut. He got an entirely new moveset, and 8 different character models (similar of course, but still needed different 3d models), so basically for this newcomer they worked on 16 different 3d models, animations and effects at once, on top of new moveset. And twice, since the game got two versions.
A lot of work for a single fighter, huh? Considering the game has 51, it doesn't surprise me we got Lucina and Dark Pit...
Though I just can't see them not working on cut veterans, even if Mewtwo is a hit. If they work on them now, they can simply release them in a timely manner after Mewtwo, and even if Mewtwo doesn't go as planeed (which probably won't happen) they can still give them as gifts. To be honest Wolf seems more like a character they would do as a free gift, to celebrate the year of Starfox.
Also this is floating around.

Can't say for sure its real,but its convincing.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
He got an entirely new moveset, and 8 different character models (similar of course, but still needed different 3d models), so basically for this newcomer they worked on 16 different 3d models, animations and effects at once, on top of new moveset. And twice, since the game got two versions.
more like one moveset's worth of animations/GFX and 8 unique SFX and two major textures with 14 somewhat minor retextures and two models with 14 slightly different models.
actually changing the models isn't that much of a job. you're only editing half the character.
the whole thing wouldn't take significantly more time than a normal character.

and for the 3DS they would've used a resized version of the Wii U characters/resources - no need to waste time making another one. so they effectively made each character once.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Though I just can't see them not working on cut veterans, even if Mewtwo is a hit. If they work on them now, they can simply release them in a timely manner after Mewtwo, and even if Mewtwo doesn't go as planeed (which probably won't happen) they can still give them as gifts. To be honest Wolf seems more like a character they would do as a free gift, to celebrate the year of Starfox.

Hmm that image look like a fake, a bad one to be honest...
I work with Photoshop a lot, and I can easily tell you that Mewtwo have a different resolution from the other character. Also, is literally a copypaste of the Mewtwo's T-Pose from the 50 fact extravaganza, while other character icons have the same pose of their trophy...and I highly doubt that Mewtwo trophy is going to be that bland t-pose.

By the way, giving character as free gift make no sense at all. I don't know how much a single character cost to make, but whatever the price is, giving the for free is rather stupid. Mewtwo is not "free", you have to buy both copy of the game, that's why I think Wolf might be a bonus character if you buy next Star Fox game (I would not call that "free"...).
I'll be of course happy if Nintendo start to give character completly for free but let's be honest, is not going to happen.

the whole thing wouldn't take significantly more time than a normal character.

and for the 3DS they would've used a resized version of the Wii U characters/resources - no need to waste time making another one. so they effectively made each character once.
Making 14 different model, even if the different are very slim, is still going to take a lot of time/work, I wouldn't call that an easy task. Making Dark Pit was an easy job, literally 3/4 of the code was already done, for example.
And for the 3DS we don't have just a resized version of the Wii U: Lucario' Shadowball may look the same from the different versions, but is not. Also the two version work on completly different systems and machines, is not just a copypaste, and that's why we don't have the Ice Climber.
Somewhere in their computer there is a working Ice Climber for the Wii U version, but since the 3DS couldn't handle, they have been cutted.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

It looks like that would be pretty easy to fake.

Real or fake it doesn't really tell us anything interesting.

Edit: Missed Lucas! Somehow I can't see him being in the clone section of the roster.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
not 14 different models. 9 - eight slightly different koopaling models and one Koopa Clown Cart that is being retextured. almost 3/4 was already done from the moment bowser Jr was created, which is in your words, an "easy task".

for the koopaling models they probably have eight copies of a "base model", all eight edited slightly to produce each of the koopalings. not an extremely time consuming task, especially when the smaller items (bows, rings) are easily made. you wouldn't even need to redo UV mapping - just place the head and items as separate parts with their own individual UV mapping.

Lucario' Shadowball may look the same from the different versions, but is not. Also the two version work on completly different systems and machines, is not just a copypaste, and that's why we don't have the Ice Climber.
Aura Sphere is (almost certainly) an example of the billboard effect, which is just a rotating textured 2d circle. they wouldn't actually use two separate 3d models, and even if they did, it's still the same models.

yes, the versions work differently but that's no reason as to why you can't reuse the same models. there is no such limitation on a 3d model - it's like a piece of clay that can be reshaped over and over but still keeps its properties. comparing a resized model to the original - both can be animated, textured and have shaders applied. plus they keep the same bone structure and UV mapping so you don't need to make animations and textures form scratch.

the absence of the Ice Climbers is solely due to the 3DS' physical limitations not being able to handle eight characters of that size. a 3DS can certainly cope with a resized Wii U model.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
almost 3/4 was already done from the moment bowser Jr was created, which is in your words, an "easy task".
So, working on something thats already done at 75% is harder than working on something that you have to start from scratch?

By the way, I repeat: Wii U models and 3DS models are NOT the same. The first are in HD, the latter are not. Same for the effects.
If you don't belive me, just pause the game and look by yourself.

D

Deleted member

If it was just Mewtwo, this would be plausible at best, but because Lucas is in this, too... fake.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
If it was just Mewtwo, this would be plausible at best, but because Lucas is in this, too... fake.
And yet we have Dark Pit in the game. Just because a certain character is in doesn't mean the leak is fake, with the exception of most 3rd parties for self-explanatory reasons.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And yet we have Dark Pit in the game. Just because a certain character is in doesn't mean the leak is fake, with the exception of most 3rd parties for self-explanatory reasons.
Actually I think he means we have no indication that Lucas is being worked on.

It's not the presence of Lucas that's eyebrow-raising, it's the fact that Lucas, by all accounts, shouldn't be there. He shouldn't be ready to be there.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

It's not the presence of Lucas that's eyebrow-raising, it's the fact that Lucas, by all accounts, shouldn't be there. He shouldn't be ready to be there.
Oh. Well when you put it that way, I guess I can see. Sorry JDogindy for the misunderstanding.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

uh its Masahiro "the troll" Sakurai we're talking about here, I think Lucas might be in the testing stage, maybe after Sakurai made his "no DLC after Mewtwo at the moment" statement, he changed his mind and planned for some more characters, cut characters, he didn't want to tell anyone who the cut characters were so he could bring some of them back as DLC. Trust me, no one has a strong enough reason to prove this fake yet.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think that "leak" is legit, but to be fair it's not like they have to tell us everything they're currently working on.

They're the ones in control of the information.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
uh its Masahiro "the troll" Sakurai we're talking about here, I think Lucas might be in the testing stage, maybe after Sakurai made his "no DLC after Mewtwo at the moment" statement, he changed his mind and planned for some more characters, cut characters, he didn't want to tell anyone who the cut characters were so he could bring some of them back as DLC. Trust me, no one has a strong enough reason to prove this fake yet.
Dude, the font in which Mewtwos name is written in looks squashed compared to the other ones on-screen.
I'm calling bull****.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And yet there's no reason whatsoever to believe that the fellow who posted this photo has any right or reason to be playing as a character that isn't out yet and a character that isn't even confirmed to be in the game.

I'm sorry, I'd love it to be true, but I can't believe it's real. There are too many obvious discrepancies here to believe it's real.

And before the comment is brought up about the leaked CSS considered to be fake, I will admit that I thought it was fake, too. But this just seems like a half-decent Photoshop effort and nothing else. I highly, highly doubt that Mewtwo's neutral stance will be his actual pose in the game. Lucas is just included in this pic because it's semi-believable and would take minimal effort to make a model of and stick into the CSS.

I'm pretty sure that if Sakurai intended for there to be more DLC characters, they'd either be still in the development phase or would include more than just Metwtwo and Lucas. Please explain to me why you think this chap has access to not one, but two, unreleased characters that we have no reason to believe are in any way, shape or form done yet.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. I'm genuinely curious as to why you think this is the case.

Try to convince me why you believe it's real. I'll give it due consideration and get back to you when I've duly pondered over it.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
And yet there's no reason whatsoever to believe that the fellow who posted this photo has any right or reason to be playing as a character that isn't out yet and a character that isn't even confirmed to be in the game.

I'm sorry, I'd love it to be true, but I can't believe it's real. There are too many obvious discrepancies here to believe it's real.

And before the comment is brought up about the leaked CSS considered to be fake, I will admit that I thought it was fake, too. But this just seems like a half-decent Photoshop effort and nothing else. I highly, highly doubt that Mewtwo's neutral stance will be his actual pose in the game. Lucas is just included in this pic because it's semi-believable and would take minimal effort to make a model of and stick into the CSS.

I'm pretty sure that if Sakurai intended for there to be more DLC characters, they'd either be still in the development phase or would include more than just Metwtwo and Lucas. Please explain to me why you think this chap has access to not one, but two, unreleased characters that we have no reason to believe are in any way, shape or form done yet.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. I'm genuinely curious as to why you think this is the case.

Try to convince me why you believe it's real. I'll give it due consideration and get back to you when I've duly pondered over it.
Actually if you look closely, Mewtwo's pose is different, his tail now goes behind his head, his right arm is in a different position, and his chest looks different.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
So, working on something thats already done at 75% is harder than working on something that you have to start from scratch?
No.
By the way, I repeat: Wii U models and 3DS models are NOT the same. The first are in HD, the latter are not. Same for the effects.
If you don't belive me, just pause the game and look by yourself.
which is why i used the word "resize" a million times....

do you honestly think the dev team would go to all the trouble of trying to recreate exactly the same animations, textures, shaders, models and UV mapping etc. instead of just editing a high poly model to make it low poly so you can reuse everything else?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When I said this, I didn't say it as in "Oh, Lucas is in this picture... it's fake!", but rather, "We know Mewtwo is being worked on, but we don't have any formal proof that Lucas is at any stage of development, so this sorta invalidates the image." Sometimes, fakers can shoot themelves in the foot by having too much content into what they want to "leak". The thing about Smash DLC is that the only way for sure we can confirm or deny characters is if Nintendo makes a formal announcement.

I would love for Lucas to return as a DLC veteran because he doesn't seem to be that difficult to incorpoate as a newcomer. And, it's cool... I wholeheartedly accept your apology, but I also want to apoligize if I came off that way.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Well its fake since the leaker has the Japanese version in the top screen and the NA version in the bottom screen. Back to square 1 everybody.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Yeah there's not many characters who fit the "from another dimension" description.

You're probably right. I was thinking Porky, but then again... Porky is from the same dimension as Ness, it's Gigyas who isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom