• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Why are people expecting Smash 4 DLC characters to be mostly cut characters from previous games? Because they're easier to do than full newcomers? Because we got Mewtwo? To be honest I don't think that returning back previous fighters is THAT easy compared to actual newcomers, unless I'm wrong animation and hitbox data cannot just be copy-pasted from Melee/Brawl to Smash 4 so easily, and creating a moveset on paper takes only a few hours if you're inspired. The only time-saving thing I really see is porting the base model, but it's probably the least time-consuming part of creating a character. Again, I'm not a programming expert, so the "animation and hitbox data can't be copy-pasted so easily" is maybe flawed. And for Mewtwo, he had many reasons to return asides from being a cut veteran, with both legendary level fan demand and huge recent revelancy in the recent years that confirmed his role as a Pokémon staple, and without the later I believe that the former would be less important tbh. No other cut character can compare to that. None.

tl;dr Just because you were playable in a previous Smash game doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle again.

(And btw I'm curious to know how people reacted to Melee cuts - asides Mewtwo of course - when Brawl's roster was confirmed. Did they miss Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu and Roy very much? I know DLCs weren't a possibility back then, so post-release character and roster discussions weren't as active as now.)

And...

To be honest, I think that the "[insert name here] series should have at least/no more than [insert number here] playable characters" logic is taken too seriously. Sure, it's a factor, but it's extremely overrated IMO.
It is because that Sakurai has officially stated that he HATES cutting characters since he knows that each character has their own fanbase. And yes, that includes the Melee clones (and Dark Pit in this game). If anything that would increase the chances of vets more than the fact that they're easier to design (Brawl vets design that is: Melee vets have to be reworked from the ground up)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
(And btw I'm curious to know how people reacted to Melee cuts - asides Mewtwo of course - when Brawl's roster was confirmed. Did they miss Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu and Roy very much? I know DLCs weren't a possibility back then, so post-release character and roster discussions weren't as active as now.)
I only didn't miss Young Link because Toon Link was the same thing effectively enough. If Young Link was given something new to bring him back or Toon Link was not a semi-clone, I'd be fine with both.

To be honest, I think that the "[insert name here] series should have at least/no more than [insert number here] playable characters" logic is taken too seriously. Sure, it's a factor, but it's extremely overrated IMO.
Same. Seriously, why should Mother get severely less now? It's understandable that Mario has the most or nearly the most since it's the main Nintendo series. But Pokemon is a fine close second, but going well over them is a bit ridiculous. Also, considering Yoshi and Wario are not actually treated as Mario characters at all(they may share a few events due to their respective character origins, but they are still clearly have their own symbols and sections among the Trophy list/etc), saying 9 Pokemon would equally Mario is just plain false. If you want to argue Mario actually has 14 due to Alts, that's at least justified enough due to the symbols and the sole fact that every Alt is outright spoken out and almost entirely treated as their "own" character. Enough to sometimes get taunts and even ending results victory screens. I can't remember if they did or not, though. I know Robin had some slightly different taunts, which proves that alone. Same with Wii Fit Trainer, who got two separate Guidances.

Also, Pokemon doesn't have 700 viable characters. Sakurai outright doesn't care about that number and chooses them based upon popularity and notability, looking at various games, the movies, and even the Anime. That's how it was easy to choose some, especially the Kanto Starters and Mewtwo. Mewtwo has zero personality in the game. A good chunk of it came from his amazing Anime portrayal. Jigglypuff has popularity in Japan, but the Anime on further made it better. Pikachu was popular in both, however, to a significant degree and became the mascot. Pichu just also happened to earn all of his love before being added, even if it was because of being a clone simply and being a Gen II rep only helped, which is likely why he got chosen over Raichu. Also, he had a better build for it and his own gimmick/mechanic to go off of that made him quite a bit more interesting. Raichu is cool, but has a pretty different style to his moveset and far less naturally learned moves than Pichu or Pikachu and still even less to this day. It's only TM's/Tutors he gets anything of note. That's one of the few Pokemon that just has no really notable movesets to go off of and forces Sakurai to heavily make up stuff for one Pokemon. Most of the other Pokemon had a bit more. Greninja was a little easier since he's not just another Pikachu family clone/etc. and was already a Ninja, a fairly easy to work with archtype, especially with water blades and such.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This was posted by @CaptainAmerica in a locked thread:
"Wolf.
Ridley.
K.Rool.
That's all I need. That alone would make this roster perfect in my opinion (since Mewtwo is confirmed on the way). I wouldn't mind seeing Midna or Ghirahim or the return of Squirtle, Ivysaur, or the ICs either.
And it'd be easy enough to program Rids/Midna/Debbie to not show as a boss/assist when they're playing. Or not - it's not like SSB cares too much about characters being in only one place at a time (Zelda/Shiek or Mario/Doc battles)"

And I have to say I love every bit of this post right here.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Ivysaur is not severely iconic. Seriously, stop overrating him so much. He only got in because he was the middle evolution and Squirtle was more popular than Bulbsaur, with Charizard severely outweighing them both. They could've just as easily went with Bulbasaur, who is way more iconic than his next evolution. Venusaur is also still more iconic.

Pokemon having 9 would definitely outweight Mario's direct 7 representation(enough with the bullcrap, Yoshi and Wario are not counted as Mario characters. They're their own series entirely in Smash. Let it go and just live with it already). Right now, Pokemon has one less than Mario after Mewtwo comes back. Getting more than Mario's 7 is already going overboard, the main series. That, and Ivysaur nor Squirtle can easily come back without the other. They were mainly notable in Brawl because they were together. Charizard was regardless of them and easily earned his own unique slot(slots are a thing, keep in mind. Slots can hold multiple playable characters too. As PT's 3 characters clearly sknow).

SF is perfect at 3 or 4. Both work fine. It has 4 viable characters right now(with Krystal being the only one to bring anything more unique than Wolf, who is already highly unique). DK can easily justify 1 or 2 more as well. Mother is more than easy enough to get 2 total at the very least. Pokemon really doesn't need to go beyond 7 or 8 unless it has some better variety. As of Smash 4 and even during Brawl, no type was reused for playable characters, the best variety the series is about. We don't need another Water Pokemon. Ivysaur brings more with a more unique moveset(a lot of Squirtle's moves are decently covered among the cast, and Grenija as well does cover a very similar role. It's not just type, but the fact he's both a starter and has speedy water moves, and also was better designed to a degree. The only major difference between them other than a somewhat different moveset is their size and how it facts into their power/defense capabilities. Greninja can lost longer. That's about it). I would gladly take Ivysaur back, but I'd rather just throw another Grass type that we have yet to see at all, namely from the other vastly underrepped Gens. He has never actually given a playable character for anything but the latest Gen at the time. To be perfectly honest, if we actually had 3 more playable characters, I'd rather they were from Gen II, III, and V. Preferably of unique types, but Pichu would be fun to play as again anyway, especially if they found a way to make him feel more interesting(like his electric attacks could increase as he gains more damage, but he also only takes damage during electric moves of his own. I could also see him resisting other electric attacks to make him more viable). The whole damage mechanic was better done to a degree with Lucario(obviously the mechanic is different, but they focus on the general gimmick of "damage" in some way). It's a crutch for him, but I also think it makes him very interesting too.

Also, with Tether Recoveries removed for balance purposes, it's a problem for Ivysaur because he outright depends on it design-wise. He has very few options for actual Up B's as is. That's not even counting the customs. Another thing to note is returning a character is one thing, but making them properly with the new changes to the series as a whole takes a lot of works. And balnce. And customs. Pokemon does not work as well as it used to for characters due to the customs alone. It requires a bit more than just simple options and actually makes choosing them a bit harder now. Since a lot of them have far less similar choices to replace a custom with(there's not much for Vine Whip even, or Bullet Seed...), they can't just slap it on because of "tons of moves available". Having lots of choices only works if they make sense. I feel that a lot of Pokemon have far less chance of happening due to this alone. I honestly am not so sure Ivysaur and Squirtle have a good chance of coming back. Pichu does, if only due to being a clone and faster to remake, as well as having more options for a new gimmick than the other two. I also honestly don't think we'll get anyone new till Smash 5 proper Pokemon-wise unless the next Gen holds a really interesting character and comes out early enough. Every DLC character will take a ton of work. In fact, I think Sakurai might try and concentrate on more type differences just to make them stand out better. I don't honestly think Squirtle was cut just because PT didn't work, but with Greninja, part of his role is still covered. And he was interesting to him already, and there was great variety with Charizard's revamping already. Likewise, let's not pretend Sakurai doesn't attempt to represent multiple Gens at once. If Gen 1 was severely important to him alone, we wouldn't have each Gen vastly represented. It's not just characters. There's stages, music, and trophies. Of course Smash 64 had two Gen 1 Pokemon. No other choice. He easily went with a Gen II Pokemon as a clone as well, to show it off, plus other stuff related to it in Melee. Overall, if we get a DLC Pokemon character back, I wouldn't be surprised if Pichu got the spot instead after Mewtwo. Easier to do, nobody damages themselves as an overall mechanic, is still iconic and pretty much Gen II's mascot, and yes, was missed by many.
This is an extremely long post so I'll reply bit by bit.
- Yes, Ivysaur is iconic. As one of the original 9 starters, he is iconic. He may not be as popular as either of his other family members, but he is also by far the most suited to being playable out of the three of them due to his size.
- How are Yoshi and Wario NOT Mario reps? Yoshi is even in the Mario section on the CSS. At the very least, they are pseudo-Mario reps, and should be treated as such. Even if you don't count them as Mario reps, then Brawl's Pokemon roster had 2 more reps than Mario did (and if you include the forbidden 7, then they would have had 8 Pokemon reps, and only 5 Mario reps).
- Slippy and Leon are both plausible candidates for SF characters. Especially Leon IMO, who is the next logical character after Wolf.
- DK needs a minumum of 2 more characters to be anywhere close to fairly justified representation. They can easily justify 5 or more considering all the unique possibilities there are who have been main protagonists, villains or are just extremely popular (Dixie, K. Rool, Jr, Cranky, Lanky, Funky, Chunky, Tiny, Kiddy, Bashmaster, Frederick).
- Squirtle plays nothing like Greninja, so types should not be an issue. It wasn't an issue when Pichu was added, and it shouldn't be now. It's just become a completely meaningless hurdle that fans like to throw out there, but in reality has absolutely no basis, similar to the "too Many Gen 1 reps" argument. There's a damn good reason why Pokemon's representation in cross over games will largely be dominated by Gen 1. When we have a baker's dozen sword fighters in this game, 2 water type Pokemon is of little issue.
- I think Pichu should return. Smash needs it's Dan Hibiki-equivalent back.
- Customs really don't matter in general (who says DLC characters even need customs?) however there's plenty they can do by having poison properties on his b moves, and different size/shape/length whips/leafs etc. The up b would pose little problem. Ivysaur is an anti-air character anyway, and should not have a great recovery.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth
I find it a laughable point that Mother, a more region specific, "dead" franchise, that only ever had three games, is "severely underepped," yet Kid Icarus, with Three games, worldwide acclaim, and essentially the entirety of Greek Myhos to draw on is pushing overkill.

Your bias has more than exposed itself.

You can claim it is not just about characters, which is... partially true, though utlimately what it always boils down to, but even still the franchises that win that argument are Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun-- the ones which are as big as Mother (or bigger), but still have nothing in yet. but a song and some trophies, the things that don't really weigh in as more than consolation prizes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seriously, Pokemon is Nintendo's second most profitable franchise. It has a cast that exceeds 700 viable characters, all with unique moveset potential, character traits and varying levels of popularity. At least 50 of those characters are household names (with about 95% of those being from Gen 1). If any franchise deserves more characters than Mario, that franchise is Pokemon. And it's entirely justifiable to give them as many characters as Mario has (9 including Wario, which means if Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu all came back both franchises would have 8 unique characters and 1 clone).

Squirtle and Ivysaur literally make for perfect DLC characters. They're popular, Iconic, they have Smash relevance and they have unique movesets. They tick every box.

FTR I think SF sat perfectly at 3. My only real complaint with Brawl's roster in regards to franchise representation is that DK should have had 3 (and a 4th in this game).
Agreed.

And while 2 Mother reps may have not been overkill, I don't think it was needed either. I mean, of the three Mother games (which is now a dead series), only 1 left Japan. So...that kinda put things in perspective. And it kinda puts Earthbound/Mother in a similar boat as Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch -- characters that are neat for the sake of history, but not because they have an ongoing series. And for those cases, 1 character is enough, IMO. Lucas likely got in because of Sakurai-favoritism, same as Dark Pit.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Agreed.

And while 2 Mother reps may have not been overkill, I don't think it was needed either. I mean, of the three Mother games (which is now a dead series), only 1 left Japan. So...that kinda put things in perspective. And it kinda puts Earthbound/Mother in a similar boat as Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch -- characters that are neat for the sake of history, but not because they have an ongoing series. And for those cases, 1 character is enough, IMO. Lucas likely got in because of Sakurai-favoritism, same as Dark Pit.
Actually, I believe he was intended to replace Ness, hence the similarities in special moves. But somehow they managed to cram him in there. But while I am glad both were able to be in Smash, unless Mother 3 or even Mother 1 goes worldwide/gets remaked, I guess there really isn't a lot of hope for another Earthbound/Mother character or Lucas, is there?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is an extremely long post so I'll reply bit by bit.
- Yes, Ivysaur is iconic. As one of the original 9 starters, he is iconic. He may not be as popular as either of his other family members, but he is also by far the most suited to being playable out of the three of them due to his size.
Iconic =/= Severely Iconic. Read what I actually said. And no, he was not more suitable than Bulbasaur by any means. He just had the slight advantage of being a middle evolution and nothing else. He had nothing size-wise to stand out as he's almost the same size as Bulbasaur as well. Their size differences are barely noticeable at all. All the 1st Gen middle evolutions for the Starters had next to no size differences, and barely any physical changes(Wartortle being the most since his changes weren't really easy to expect at all).
- How are Yoshi and Wario NOT Mario reps? Yoshi is even in the Mario section on the CSS. At the very least, they are pseudo-Mario reps, and should be treated as such. Even if you don't count them as Mario reps, then Brawl's Pokemon roster had 2 more reps than Mario did (and if you include the forbidden 7, then they would have had 8 Pokemon reps, and only 5 Mario reps).
Brawl indeed has 5 Mario reps and Brawl would've had 7 Pokemon reps unless Pra_Mai was actually not Plusle and Minun, but we don't have enough data to go on. That's what it would be if that were the case. It still didn't reach anywhere near ten and Pichu was completely cut and not even slightly replaced in concept like Young Link was.

And they are not and never counted as Mario reps. They have a unique symbol for a reason and rep their own series. I don't care a crap where they are on the CSS, the symbols are what tells us what game series they're form. And was always that way. No character directly changed this(closest was Giga Bowser, and that was due to the fact he became a Bowser transformation. We don't know why he suddenly has it as it's not like it was directly explained in or out-of-game. Was the original Bowser able to always do that in Smash? Did he absorb it from the other Bowser? Nobody knows.
- Slippy and Leon are both plausible candidates for SF characters. Especially Leon IMO, who is the next logical character after Wolf.
Neither of them have anything heavily noteworthy that makes them unique. Slippy slightly more due to his mechanical weapons/vehicles, but Leon doesn't stand out at all. Krystal has an actual thing others don't have, a very unique weapon and tons of magical options. She's the most logical option after Wolf because she actually has something that separates her heavily from the rest. Slippy is next after that. Leon and pretty much everyone else has even less than Dark Pit, who had far more potential than what was shown(although his personality and ideally being a clone like in his proper series was logical too).
- DK needs a minumum of 2 more characters to be anywhere close to fairly justified representation. They can easily justify 5 or more considering all the unique possibilities there are who have been main protagonists, villains or are just extremely popular (Dixie, K. Rool, Jr, Cranky, Lanky, Funky, Chunky, Tiny, Kiddy, Bashmaster, Frederick).
It'd be lucky to get 4 at this point. It is not as popular or a major series as it should be now. 4 would be more than nice enough, but the fact it still didn't get more means that clearly it wasn't justified enough for Sakurai. He doesn't clearly see much of note. Lanky's biggest thing was body expansion, which of course Diddy somewhat took from him. Chunky doesn't have anything worth noting as there's enough major muscle characters already. Being "dumb muscle" doesn't really add anything. Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky are about the only
- Squirtle plays nothing like Greninja, so types should not be an issue. It wasn't an issue when Pichu was added, and it shouldn't be now. It's just become a completely meaningless hurdle that fans like to throw out there, but in reality has absolutely no basis, similar to the "too Many Gen 1 reps" argument. There's a damn good reason why Pokemon's representation in cross over games will largely be dominated by Gen 1. When we have a baker's dozen sword fighters in this game, 2 water type Pokemon is of little issue.
Pichu was added due to the fact he wanted a clone and Gen II rep. This was never repeated and a horrid comparison. Squirtle was added mainly because of what Type he was. They do share a similar role because of this. And yes, Gen 1 is severely overrepped playable-wise. There is no good reason for the other Gens to not have at least 1 playable Rep right now. Let's not pretend the other Gens don't matter. This is something even Gamefreak has tried to cut back on, by removing in Black and White 1 the ability to catch anything(till after you beat the main game) other than Gen 5. There's a reason why the Pokemon Stadiums don't directly depend on Gen 1 either. Sakurai has not actually attempted to make only Gen 1 matter, and we're severely good with four Gen 1 Pokemon anyway. Pichu would be the best returner as he does have a bit more, an actual real mechanic to expand on. Squirtle does not. There's already fast small characters. There's a full water-based characters, his main real gimmick. Squirtle having a somewhat unique moveset is not enough to get him back. He also has a role to play, a gimmick, which is key to bringing him back. And it's covered far better than Mewtwo's was(and only arguably Lucas somewhat did that. He had the elemental attacks and jumps, but not the B moves, which were still not covered very well by anyone, except Shadow Ball had a fairly different variation in Aura Sphere). I'm barely expecting anyone to come back already Pokemon-wise, as it's highly well-repped anyway. Ivysaur is the only one that has an unused role at the moment. And as noted multiple times in how the Stages and even Brawl worked, Types have played a major role. Don't pretend they're irrelevant. If they were, Sakurai would not have bothered have PT's exact types being the 3 main starters(and two other types that happen to be there). Likewise, every Pokemon Stadium stage is based around types(and Normal on both due to how the stage works). If just the "Pokemon" mattered, he'd throw in whatever, but they're not done that way. Types are pretty heavily concentrated on since Melee as a key factor at times. And frankly, Greninja represents Water way better than Squirtle ever did. He fought more like a turtle, not a water character. And we have enough turtle antics from Bowser that that's part covered too. Unlike Mewtwo who had very little of his abilities covered, Squirtle does actually get split among two characters at the very least. Ivysaur unfortunately has pretty much no one similar to him at all, nor were his abilities split up halfway decently. If he could come back without Squirtle, I'd love it since he has a different role to play and his moves aren't even halfway covered.

And lol at sword fighters. That's a severely false equivalence. Sword fighters would only matter if they they were overrepped in a specific series. Pokemon is overdone Gen 1-wise. What is true is that Fire Emblem is overdone sword-wise and has more than enough alternate weapons to justify a newer one. Robin is the only one that is not just a typical sword fighter. Lucina does not stand out much. Ike took most of Roy's role except had quite a few different moves to make him a little different. Roy's main role was the fiery swordsman, which Ike stole, and made him a non-clone while doing a good job of showing off how unique he could be. To be frank, the sword fighters are all different styles except Lucina and slightly on Toon Link but also have way more than just "swords". Pokemon is defined by type diversity and is a major thing made notable in the games. Sakurai has very clearly tried to show off diversity before to represent the games well. Repeating types is unnecessary. There are Water Pokemon that would stand out way more than Greninja moveset-wise, but Squirtle doesn't fit this all that well. He still has enough similarities that he wasn't considered worth returning right away, yet Charizard was. And it's not like we didn't have enough general Fire characters. But we had zero Fire Pokemon, which is a whole different thing. In other words, it's how the role plays within a series that show who should be added, and what makes them unique there. Not among the entire cast. Squirtle was popular and all, but wasn't a severe stand out character in Brawl either. Ivysaur far much more so, but had far less popularity in comparison. Charizard stood out severely instead. Note who came back. The one who stood out the most and was the most popular was chosen. Ivysaur's best chance was back during the original creation of Smash 4. You should not be surprised if none of the 3 previous Pokemon even come back. As of now, they have a great representation of characters that many series just don't have at all(whether it's due to a lost character or because of the lack of a newer slightly more unique guy, like FE having a different weapon other than a sword, which Robin still uses, by the way. And at least Zelda does more than swords, too, notably). They have enough stuff among the whole game that they don't need anymore right now. This does not apply to every series and if Sakurai actually wants to show off more of other series, it makes sense to ignore Pokemon(who is beautifully done already) for vastly underrepped series like Mother and StarFox. What Pokemon really lacks is stages at the moment, not characters, trophies, items(more assist characters) at all. Hazards too like Rayquaza's downgrade in the Kalos League Stage. Just like Ridley, they removed his Boss stagues and turned him into a new Hazard.
- I think Pichu should return. Smash needs it's Dan Hibiki-equivalent back.
I think he'll come back if they can expend the mechanic to make him worth playing, like they did with Lucario. Right now, there's nothing of interest to him besides the fact that in Melee he outright could not be hit by almost every one of Giga Bowser's attacks. He didn't have enough power or defense, and only speed. The gimmick only made him undesirable to most. He was fun, don't get me wrong, but just bringing him back with the same gimmick alone is not enough. He needs more.
- Customs really don't matter in general (who says DLC characters even need customs?) however there's plenty they can do by having poison properties on his b moves, and different size/shape/length whips/leafs etc. The up b would pose little problem. Ivysaur is an anti-air character anyway, and should not have a great recovery.
Why would Sakurai not give all DLC characters customs? No, they're beyond likely to happen as that's a key part of Smash 4's features, the new ability to make them much more different than your opponent's same character and breathes life into the competitive scene as well as general casual 1 on 1. Except them. I don't think he even needs to note this. That's why working on Mewtwo only right now is the smart option. He first has to balance him, give him proper customs that makes sense(which can include removing some B moves if he can't find a way to make them more unique. Look at Tether Recoveries. Actually give them more unique properties is a bit harder since it should make somewhat sense for the character to do. Ivysaur is hurt by this the most. He doesn't use electric attacks. At best he could slightly have it "on fire" as a reference to his solar abilities from being a grass type, but now that leaves him with little else. It's one of the few Up B's that leaves little ways to customize it). Likewise, why would Charizard get this, but not Squirtle and Ivysaur, if they were to come back? They deserve the same treatment. Nobody should be left out, as they're all important enough to already come back(except Young Link at best, and only because he needs a new gimmick to not look redundant with Toon Link, who is highly de-cloned now more than ever anyway), and should be treated equally here. If one gets custom move choices, they all should. One thing that's pretty clear in 4 is that every character was make viable to a degree, and all of them has somewhat of a gimmick that makes them stand out from everybody else(the clones only kind of do this, but they are still made to be different, in some way. While obviously clone moves still exist, they aren't exactly the same either regardless.

Also, the only other Mario characters besides the base 7 are the Koopalings at best, and only if Alts(who are still called by their own name and have their own voices and a lot of other stuff besides a base moveset related to actual attacks/jumps but not usually Taunts and Victory Screens) are considered their own characters, which arguably they are. At the moment, there's exactly 7 or 14 Mario characters playable. Either or. Series have only been separated strictly by their symbol. Not some silly CSS placement. Otherwise the clones would've been moved later before release to their more proper spots among their series. It doesn't matter if they were added late. The CSS was based more upon characters' debuts, not their exact series.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I find it a laughable point that Mother, a more region specific, "dead" franchise, that only ever had three games, is "severely underepped," yet Kid Icarus, with Three games, worldwide acclaim, and essentially the entirety of Greek Myhos to draw on is pushing overkill.

You can claim it is not just about characters, which is... partially true, though utlimately what it always boils down to, but even still the franchises that win that argument are Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun-- the ones which are as big as Mother (or bigger), but still have nothing in yet. but a song and some trophies, the things that don't really weigh in as more than consolation prizes.
Mother actually only has about 1.5m lifetime sales from what I read online. Its definitely better that Chibi Robo, Custom Robo and Advance Wars, but not Golden Sun. Advance Wars is longer running, though, and definitely deserves more recognition for that alone.

D

Deleted member

Actually, I believe he was intended to replace Ness, hence the similarities in special moves. But somehow they managed to cram him in there. But while I am glad both were able to be in Smash, unless Mother 3 or even Mother 1 goes worldwide/gets remaked, I guess there really isn't a lot of hope for another Earthbound/Mother character or Lucas, is there?
Right, I just didn't feel like getting into the whole history of it. Sakurai was going to replace Ness with Lucas, but since Mother 3 never released outside Japan, he (rightly) figured that would be unwise, and chose to stick with Ness. But his favoritism struck when he decided to put in Lucas anyway in Brawl, in addition to Ness, even though Mother 3 was still not getting released outside Japan any time soon. But now look at all the Lucas fans there are....

I wonder if it will be the same with Dark Pit. A character no one asked for--but if he doesn't return in future smash games, will people miss him?

Again, this is why veterans as DLC is the best case scenario. For some of them, anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wonder if it will be the same with Dark Pit. A character no one asked for--but if he doesn't return in future smash games, will people miss him?
Dark Pit did have a fan base/supporter base. He's just a popular as Pit is in Uprising.

However, nobody wanted him to PLAY like Pit.

I actually supported his inclusion myself, though I didn't want him to be a Pit clone at all (gameplay wise).

-----------

Also, just read the "Is Rosalina a princess?" discussion on the last page.

She isn't. She's Mario's equivalent to god.

Rosalina cannot be a princess:

She does not fit any of these definitions.

People might call her a figurative "princess" in adoration of the character, but she is not literally one. She is not a queen either, she rules no kingdom, and has no subjects (the Comet Observatory is not a kingdom, it's her home and is an orphanage for Lumas, who are her adopted children).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dark Pit did have a fan base/supporter base. He's just a popular as Pit is in Uprising.

However, nobody wanted him to PLAY like Pit.

I actually supported his inclusion myself, though I didn't want him to be a Pit clone at all (gameplay wise).
I wanted him to be play like Brawl Pit myself. I love that moveset, more than his 4 version. Regardless, he's still pretty fun overall and their differences do matter at times, just not that often.

Also, just read the "Is Rosalina a princess?" discussion on the last page.

She isn't. She's Mario's equivalent to god.

Rosalina cannot be a princess:

She does not fit any of these definitions.

People might call her a figurative "princess" in adoration of the character, but she is not one. She is not a queen either, she rules no kingdom, and has no subjects (the Comet Observatory is not a kingdom, it's her home and is an orphanage for Lumas, who are her adopted children).
To note, we still don't have Miyamoto or Nintendo outright saying it, just a guide by fans of the game. Their gameplay tips are good, but bios are not truly official by default. It's still possible Nintendo and Miyamoto actually considers her a Princess, but they'd have to be asked, not Prima.

I also agree she fits more of a Goddess than a Princess. There's absolutely nothing related to a monarchy or a King/Queen she came from. Nothing implies or suggests it. It's just not there. Then again, Nintendo may have a different wya to view the Princess archtype, but eh.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Right, I just didn't feel like getting into the whole history of it. Sakurai was going to replace Ness with Lucas, but since Mother 3 never released outside Japan, he (rightly) figured that would be unwise, and chose to stick with Ness. But his favoritism struck when he decided to put in Lucas anyway in Brawl, in addition to Ness, even though Mother 3 was still not getting released outside Japan any time soon. But now look at all the Lucas fans there are....

Again, this is why veterans as DLC is the best case scenario. For some of them, anyway.
Actually, this isn't quite accurate. Mother 3 wasn't merely not released outside of Japan; it wasn't released at all by the time Melee came out. It was originally going to be Earthbound 64, but Eartbound 64 was cancelled. It finally came out as Mother 3 in Japan only two years before Brawl's release. Sakurai probably thought that they might localize Mother 3 later, but it never happened, so Lucas was cut in the next game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wanted him to be play like Brawl Pit myself. I love that moveset, more than his 4 version. Regardless, he's still pretty fun overall and their differences do matter at times, just not that often.

To note, we still don't have Miyamoto or Nintendo outright saying it, just a guide by fans of the game. Their gameplay tips are good, but bios are not truly official by default. It's still possible Nintendo and Miyamoto actually considers her a Princess, but they'd have to be asked, not Prima.

I also agree she fits more of a Goddess than a Princess. There's absolutely nothing related to a monarchy or a King/Queen she came from. Nothing implies or suggests it. It's just not there. Then again, Nintendo may have a different wya to view the Princess archtype, but eh.
I wanted Dark Pit to be a ranger - his Smash 4 render even portrays him with the Dark Pit Staff, which only gets used as his Final Smash - but why wasn't his entire (or most of it) moveset focused around it? Have Pit be close combat, Dark Pit be a zoner, meaning the three key elements of Uprising's game mechanics are represented by a character - Pit for close combat, Dark Pit for ranged combat, and Palutena for the Powers.

And on the subject of Rosalina, it should be noted that Miyamoto did not actually create her - in fact, he has admitted to trying to PREVENT her from being created and included beyond Galaxy:

Miyamoto
When Super Mario Galaxy first came out, I was a little hung up on why Rosalina was showing up when Princess Peach was already there. I thought it was fine as long as it was only Super Mario Galaxy, and we made her design so she's a little bigger. But all of a sudden she was a regular character in Mario Kart as just a regular girl, even her size turned to normal.

Iwata
As they say, time solves all things.

Miyamoto
If I think about it now, I'm like, "What was I so hung up on?!" I guess I was still green. (laughs)
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/3

With that in mind, I actually don't regard Miyamoto's word too much when it comes to Rosalina. Her creator is Yoshiaki Koizumi, so he's the highest authourity regarding information on her.

Rosalina is basically Nintendo EAD's baby/pet character - Nintendo EAD (the development studio found by Miyamoto who now work on core Mario games with Miyamoto simply being an advisor since 3D Land) don't really get to create their own characters for Mario, and certainly not major ones. Every core Mario character (Daisy not included - she was created by the late Gunpei Yokoi as a stand in for Peach, along with Sarasaland standing in for the Mushroom Kingdom) comes directly from Miyamoto himself. Rosalina is the exception - a main series, major Mario character, who did not come from Miyamoto, but from someone below him on the Nintendo food chain. Symbolically, she's one of the most important characters in Nintendo - a symbol that sometimes, the big wigs are not always right.

But back to the main point, yeah, there is absolutely nothing saying Rosalina is a princess. She is grouped with Daisy and Peach sometimes in promotional material and what not, but that's because she's a human girl.

And even if Nintendo has a different way of classing princesses, they have not stated it, so I don't believe it exists - Peach fits pretty much every definition of the word "princess" to a tee, as does Daisy, including the spoiled brat one (just look at them in the Mario Strikers games for the most extreme example of that trait). Rosalina fits none of them, and is the furthest from a spoiled brat I can think of too.

I've said this elsewhere, but if Peach and Daisy represent royalty and riches and a pampered life style, and if Pauline represents a modern diva/rich person, Rosalina represents modesty (her dress is basically a nightgown, as opposed to Peach and Daisy's Victorian-esque royal dresses and Paulines sleek, modern dress), pure and unadulterated love, and responsibility (in that she protects the universe and creates a new one when the current one messes up).

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
That's not what I meant. What I meant was that Ness was put in in the last minute in Brawl due to extra development time. There was a message on Dojo severely implying that Ness was going to be cut, at least from what I heard. I haven't been able to find it and am relying on what people said, so take this with a grain of salt if you will since I don't have solid proof. If this is true, then by the time Ness was put in, Lucas had been announced so long ago that to take him out... I don't know what would've happened, but I think that would've been unwise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad : Ah, thanks for the Rosalina info. I still would love to see what their official and proper word on her "role" is. Goddess or Mother of all Lumas is the closest one we have that the game tells us, not a fan-created Guide(which is only good for the most basic data of proper in-game information. Anything out of game is clearly their own idea of what it "could" be).

Also, the thing about Lucas is it was a Melee-only thing. He was meant to replace Ness only there. This is not something that was ever the case during Brawl, and there is zero implication Ness was going to be cut in the 3rd game. Sakurai felt pretty clear he considers him "quite the veteran at this point", meaning there was never any shown intentions of cutting the original. There's also nothing to directly suggest Jigglypuff was going to be cut in Brawl. It's quite possible Sakurai had no intentions of adding her to the story mode and designed everyone in the order of being overall in the SSE itself, with the last characters being those not there. It may explain a lot of the major inbalanced gameplay too. We know for a fact that he spent 70% of the time on the SSE. This likely applied to the character choices. There was zero reason to cut Jigglypuff regardless, however, thus, she was thrown in last minute into the game because she had no role beyond playable. I don't think it was due to popularity or importance, just the fact that SSE characters had top priority. Also, Ness shows up fairly early in the SSE. I highly doubt they were intending on cutting him, especially the idea he was added late into the game. If they meant to cut him, that idea was removed pretty early on.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Okay, so I actually found some proof that Sakurai did imply, or at least people interpreted that he was going to cut him: "Due to Brawl speculation, it was widely believed that Ness had been cut from the game due to an offhand remark made by Sakurai on the Dojo. This turned out to be nothing but speculation, as Ness did in fact end up in the finished product of the game as a hidden character."

...so I guess he wasn't suddenly added to the list late in development or wasn't even planned on being cut. Okay, I'll concede.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad : Ah, thanks for the Rosalina info. I still would love to see what their official and proper word on her "role" is. Goddess or Mother of all Lumas is the closest one we have that the game tells us, not a fan-created Guide(which is only good for the most basic data of proper in-game information. Anything out of game is clearly their own idea of what it "could" be).
Yeah, Mario Wiki and it's sister site, Sonic News Network, are terrible for anything plot/story related, and their sections regarding that should be taken with a grain of salt. They're fine for objective game info like release dates and such, though.

I'm not a fan of them either way though. I know SNN has committed plagiarism, and I think I heard something similar with Mario Wiki.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, Mario Wiki and it's sister site, Sonic News Network, are terrible for anything plot/story related, and their sections regarding that should be taken with a grain of salt. They're fine for objective game info like release dates and such, though.

I'm not a fan of them either way though. I know SNN has committed plagiarism, and I think I heard something similar with Mario Wiki.
They at least make sure to not use outside information never available for some things. Like, while they may not really know if Prima's bio was truly approved by Nintendo or not, they do know Pokemon Trainer is never legitimately referred to Red at all in Smash and make sure it's kept that way. I agree the character is somewhat influenced by him, but to what degree is not known. I do not feel the exact choices were game driven. Charizard, yes. But the other two, not so much. Consider that Squirtle's immensely popularity is Anime-based and not so much game-based. Makes an easy base starter choice. Ivysaur just happened to be last and worked too for a fun and unique moveset. The changes to Smash 4 do affect him, as Tether Recoveries were killed, and making proper customs for his moveset will take a bit of work too. Any veteran returned isn't going to be a straight shot unless they're a clone like Pichu was(who can just clone the custom moves. Even that happened to a degree with Dr. Mario and entirely to Lucina and for the most part Dark Pit). I also think this is why we won't see a giganatic amount of DLC characters, vetearans or otherwise. If it was just as simple as porting their moveset over and doing a bit of balancing, sure. But giving them notable customs, 8 costumes(or more), any moveset change, new taunts/victory screens(note how Pichu has only 1 main taunt, as the other one is technically based upon the direction it's in, or at least one new taunt is needed), etc. takes time. Mewtwo is even more notable for this. He's not simply a clone in Smash. Most of his moves are unused. While it's easy to re-use Aura Sphere and adjust it for Shadow Ball, that does not apply to his other specials whatsoever. If they will even stay the same. And adding a new Final Smash(and it even depends if he wants the cat to go Mega or not. It's a very difficult process, which he has some months to do while having no other characters to work on, so it's not severely difficult). It'd have been super easy to port Wolf or Lucas, in comparison. The only major changes is costume colors, general balance, and some customs. And to be fair, they can share similar customs to Fox and Ness. The rest of their moves are super unique, so it's not a big deal.

Also, interestingly enough, no, Lucario does not have a Shadow Ball-style Aura Sphere as a custom. The thing about Shadow Ball is that it was fired off like a wavy projectile, not a straight shot. Lucario did not have this, which outright suggested to me they never intended to have his customs replace any of Mewtwo's moves. Lucas and Wolf were clearly not as lucky.

C3CC

Smash Lord
To me, Rosalina is a princess because that's what they call her in the Super Mario Galaxy instruction booklet. Then again, I think she's no mere human. She's more powerful than that. It's like she's a goddess or something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To me, Rosalina is a princess because that's what they call her in the Super Mario Galaxy instruction booklet. Then again, I think she's no mere human. She's more powerful than that. It's like she's a goddess or something.
It's not in the Instruction Booklet I have. Not in America, anyway. That could be some UK or JP only thing. What country are you from? I know for a fact that Nintendo has changed up some stories for characters before depending the region.

I think the JP one would be the most relevant, but it's not in the US one. That's for sure. It was absolutely not in the bio. "Mother" was the only term used to describe her.

C3CC

Smash Lord
It's not in the Instruction Booklet I have. Not in America, anyway. That could be some UK or JP only thing. What country are you from? I know for a fact that Nintendo has changed up some stories for characters before depending the region.

I think the JP one would be the most relevant, but it's not in the US one. That's for sure. It was absolutely not in the bio. "Mother" was the only term used to describe her.
Oh wait no, it doesn't. I have the American version too and it doesn't actually say that. I got confused with the Prima Guide. My apologies.

P.S: I'm from Venezuela, by the way :D

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh wait no, it doesn't. I have the American version too and it doesn't actually say that. I got confused with the Prima Guide. My apologies.

P.S: I'm from Venezuela, by the way :D
It's fine. Easy mistake, since they both are "about" the actual game in question. XD Any Bios from a guide usually shouldn't be taken as canon unless we know for a fact the main company agrees. this isn't like Hyrule Historia either. It's a fan-made guide, after all.

Yada yada, said already. That said, is the guide useful anyway? XD

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am afraid that everyone is biased, including yourself, and me. It's what makes the world interesting as frustrating as it can be. Be careful in the future of accusing people of things that is just human nature.
I'm not merely accusing of mere bias, contextually, but as to the point of making the argument completely arbitrated.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Lucas went from Main Roster in Brawl to completely cut in 4. If anything, his appearance in Brawl added a bit of relevance for his return. He may have been an afterthought, but the fact that there is a blatant missed opportunity for 8-player Smash with New Pork City, I feel like Lucas has more of a chance than Wolf does.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I think Wolf has more of a chance than Lucas does for the fact we already have a confirmed Star Fox WiiU game on the way, and every Smash game has very clearly added characters based on relevancy at the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I find it a laughable point that Mother, a more region specific, "dead" franchise, that only ever had three games, is "severely underepped," yet Kid Icarus, with Three games, worldwide acclaim, and essentially the entirety of Greek Mythos to draw on is pushing overkill.
Funny. Because I never said KI was overkilled character-wise. I suggest you stop actually attacking people and their arguments instead. Mother is severely underrepped. It has less than most playable series. It did not need to lose a character. I am completely fine with 3 Kid Icarus characters. I was never against that. My only issues ever with Dark Pit was the fact they were hard to tell apart and that's... it.

You mean that I like to see every series and their various games well-repped if they already have playable stuff? Yep, total bias. Pokemon is beyond well-repped on its own. That was never in question. It is very low on stages, but otherwise, doesn't lack a single thing else. Mario is pretty low on Trophies in comparison to Pokemon, but got one more direct character to make up for it. Want to know what my actual bias is? I'm sick of Villains getting shafted out for Heroes. That's it. But hey, the characters are still gret anyway and I'm not even that mad. I'm trying to main Palutena, the one character I did not want at all.

Who says they can't have characters too? Where did I imply they don't deserve that in any way? Of course they do. Mother and StarFox getting their only other playables back is just fine as well. That's not an excuse here. You don't have to cut a low-repped series to make way for more. Frankly, I would be okay with cutting Dr. Mario again to make room for other series while keeping 6 Pokemon too. I would be even fine with having 6 of any series for playables max. But hey, if it doesn't ahppen, as long as the characters are cool and fun to play as(and I so far hold this for everyone for the most part. I didn't necessarily enjoy playing as Meta Knight, but he was till fairly cool none the less).

I think Wolf has more of a chance than Lucas does for the fact we already have a confirmed Star Fox WiiU game on the way, and every Smash game has very clearly added characters based on relevancy at the time.
Truthfully, the fact Mother is dead may hurt Lucas' chances. But I think he and Wolf are the best veteran shots we have now(besides the already upcoming Mewtwo). Both are widely different enough, and have many reasons to come back. We know that Sakurai doesn't overload the game with Pokemon reps because he doesn't like actually overrepresenting some series in general(also, he already told us he doesn't just throw any Pokemon in as playable, he almost always goes for the most popular or noteworthy, or even mascots. Greninja is literally the only one that was chosen based upon design alone. Everybody else had prominence in some way. Starters, Popuularity, or a major Gimmick to make them fun. Look at Pichu. The gimmick, the fact he's a movie starring Pokemon, is pretty much Gen II's mascot to manhy people, as he represents the Babies in general, and being the pre-evolution of Pikachu, the main Mascot, further makes this more believable).. And he's actually doing fairly decently on that, imo. Despite claims to the contrary, he simply added lots of Smash Run KI enemies just due to assets from Uprising, and it also costs him way less time and money to add them. He doesn't have to pay more people. His crew already did those characters and could easily adjust them. It's very justified and I honestly believe he made a very smart and logical decision. I'm more annoyed that he didn't give enough love to the Wii U modes, namely a halfway decent Adventure Mode. Maybe DLC will fix that. Even show off some other series. Who knows. I don't feel Trophy/etc. wise any series is truly left out badly. DK got a bit of the shaft, but the fact Kremlings showed up in Smash Run was just awesome in itself. That, and we don't know why they weren't added. Executive meddling is also possible for why DK got less love. Sakurai doesn't have 100% control of every aspect of the game. He has too cooperate with Nintendo, Sega, and to a lesser extent, Bandai-Namco. Never mind Ubisoft slightly.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Lucas went from Main Roster in Brawl to completely cut in 4. If anything, his appearance in Brawl added a bit of relevance for his return. He may have been an afterthought, but the fact that there is a blatant missed opportunity for 8-player Smash with New Pork City, I feel like Lucas has more of a chance than Wolf does.
I see a lot of adjectives used here to spice up the sentence, but they are rather unnecessary...
Lucas went from the roster to not in the roster, just like anyone else that was cut.
Additionally, New Pork City can be added without him.

Now...before Hyper Falcon, I'm gonna preface by stating that I, too, believe myself to want a fair and representative number of characters across the franchises. That is why I am such a proponent for new series' who have paid dues to get in, and in those which I find to be of hyper importance or actual VIP status to continue to be in the games, versus those I do not find to share that status. We all have a different idea of where this 'balance' in representation is, and that is why we disagree on what a 'dream roster' would be, or even, downloadable choices. This is why all fans cannot be perfectly pleased.
Funny. Because I never said KI was overkilled character-wise. I suggest you stop actually attacking people and their arguments instead. Mother is severely underrepped. It has less than most playable series. It did not need to lose a character. I am completely fine with 3 Kid Icarus characters. I was never against that. My only issues ever with Dark Pit was the fact they were hard to tell apart and that's... it.
I'm not attacking you, at all, so to refer back to you on suggestions, no need for the attitude.
It is YOUR OPINION that Mother is "severely underrepped," however, I'd add that as a small franchise barely known outside of Japan without any foreseeable future, it is lucky to have ever made it into Smash. It is certainly not severely underreped, by any standard, and it is mostly your incredibly melodramatic use of the word 'severely' that I take use with your persistent claim. It ever got too reps in a 35 character roster. Now that, sir, is bizarre. When 99 percent of the population, even 90 percent of Nintendo population, thinks of video game necessities, Mother does not jump out in the top categories, and any recognition it received outside of Japan is specifically from the Smash games themselves. It is fine for you to want it to have more content, and to think it a darn tooten candidate for it-

You mean that I like to see every series and their various games well-repped if they already have playable stuff? Yep, total bias. Pokemon is beyond well-repped on its own. That was never in question. It is very low on stages, but otherwise, doesn't lack a single thing else.
Again, I'm bringing it into question, and therefore, it is in question.
The majority of vocal Smash population (internet) is not that hard pressed for Pokemon content, mostly because the demographics do not explicitly overlap. Therefore, the Pokemon voice is not nearly as representative of what the locale is for the games- or the history. The stages alone are a miserable representation of this, as you pointed out. What counts in representation? I'd argue 70 percent characters, 15 percent stages (bosses included), 10 percent items (AT included), and 5 percent trophies and music. It's great to have all of it, but having a song in smash, while Nintendo's music is sensational, does not feel, at least to me, as a real tribute to a series. It feels like an afterthought, particularly in this iteration, where we have 9 remixes from previous games.
The point we disagree on fundamentally is that you think Starfox and Mother are not well represented, and that Pokemon is.
I view it as the opposite, that Mother is more than completely represented by Ness alone, although I would have preferred Lucas.
Starfox, similarly, could have another character without it being too much, but I don't find it necessary at this time, not when the games were made, given how the series has been doing.

OF EXISTING FRANCHISES, the ones I do continue to agree need more representation are Donkey Kong and Metroid- for huge Staples of Nintendo, particularly for Donkey Kong- as Recognizable, historic, and profitable as it is, the overall lack of content is atrocious.
Then, Pikmin. Pikmin deserves a true second character before Mother. Unquestionable.
Yet, I began as Squirtle and Ivysaur versus Lucas- and I just don't see how anyone who has paid attention to Nintendo could even think Lucas is a blemish when standing next to those other two.

Who says they can't have characters too? Where did I imply they don't deserve that in any way? Of course they do. Mother and StarFox getting their only other playables back is just fine as well. That's not an excuse here. You don't have to cut a low-repped series to make way for more. Frankly, I would be okay with cutting Dr. Mario again to make room for other series while keeping 6 Pokemon too. I would be even fine with having 6 of any series for playables max. But hey, if it doesn't ahppen, as long as the characters are cool and fun to play as(and I so far hold this for everyone for the most part. I didn't necessarily enjoy playing as Meta Knight, but he was till fairly cool none the less).
I don't understand the problem with a dead series losing a character. Sakurai went on record to say he does not make it a priority to include characters he does not see a series' future for. Mother being all but confirmed to be done, why should it keep two characters? Why does it, with this sentiment, deserve to be one of the next downloaded characters, and where does this give Lucas much of a shot, other than his personal bias for the character? I just don't see it.

Truthfully, the fact Mother is dead may hurt Lucas' chances. But I think he and Wolf are the best veteran shots we have now(besides the already upcoming Mewtwo). Both are widely different enough, and have many reasons to come back. We know that Sakurai doesn't overload the game with Pokemon reps because he doesn't like actually overrepresenting some series in general(also, he already told us he doesn't just throw any Pokemon in as playable, he almost always goes for the most popular or noteworthy, or even mascots. Greninja is literally the only one that was chosen based upon design alone. Everybody else had prominence in some way. Starters, Popuularity, or a major Gimmick to make them fun. Look at Pichu. The gimmick, the fact he's a movie starring Pokemon, is pretty much Gen II's mascot to manhy people, as he represents the Babies in general, and being the pre-evolution of Pikachu, the main Mascot, further makes this more believable).. And he's actually doing fairly decently on that, imo. Despite claims to the contrary, he simply added lots of Smash Run KI enemies just due to assets from Uprising, and it also costs him way less time and money to add them. He doesn't have to pay more people. His crew already did those characters and could easily adjust them. It's very justified and I honestly believe he made a very smart and logical decision. I'm more annoyed that he didn't give enough love to the Wii U modes, namely a halfway decent Adventure Mode. Maybe DLC will fix that. Even show off some other series. Who knows. I don't feel Trophy/etc. wise any series is truly left out badly. DK got a bit of the shaft, but the fact Kremlings showed up in Smash Run was just awesome in itself. That, and we don't know why they weren't added. Executive meddling is also possible for why DK got less love. Sakurai doesn't have 100% control of every aspect of the game. He has too cooperate with Nintendo, Sega, and to a lesser extent, Bandai-Namco. Never mind Ubisoft slightly.
What you consider over-repping is not necessarily what he does. It seems to come down to what Japan would want. Three KI, four FE... I know this is in part because they were clones, but even there, he already had made separate models for those series and not others because they were popular in Japan, much, much more so than anywhere else.
With this, in Japan and worldwide, with old audiences and new, you must remember the power of Pokemon.

ALL of that said, Mewtwo is considered, or stated, to be a 'new' character. Charizard, being slightly reworked, was not a new character. Mewtwo must be pretty different in this game. I am not very sure we are going to get too many old veterans if we get DLC, particularly after Sakurai's comment about "not wanting the fans to feel like it was withheld content." Veterans would DEFINITELY feel like withheld content.
I would imagine DLC would be fully new characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually, this isn't quite accurate. Mother 3 wasn't merely not released outside of Japan; it wasn't released at all by the time Melee came out. It was originally going to be Earthbound 64, but Eartbound 64 was cancelled. It finally came out as Mother 3 in Japan only two years before Brawl's release. Sakurai probably thought that they might localize Mother 3 later, but it never happened, so Lucas was cut in the next game.
Meh, I never claimed to be an Earthbound expert. Point is, goodbye Lucas.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I'm not attacking you, at all, so to refer back to you on suggestions, no need for the attitude.
Probably because of the biased comment. Don't expect to call people biased and they not to develop an attitude, just saying.

OF EXISTING FRANCHISES, the ones I do continue to agree need more representation are Donkey Kong and Metroid- for huge Staples of Nintendo, particularly for Donkey Kong- as Recognizable, historic, and profitable as it is, the overall lack of content is atrocious.
Then, Pikmin. Pikmin deserves a true second character before Mother. Unquestionable.
Yet, I began as Squirtle and Ivysaur versus Lucas- and I just don't see how anyone who has paid attention to Nintendo could even think Lucas is a blemish when standing next to those other two.
Admittibly, DK needs more characters. I wonder why it hasn't.

Pikmin only has bulbmins, Mushroom Pikmin, and Rock Pikmin left in terms of unique Pikmin. Mushroom Pikmin are hostile, bulbmins cannot be taken to the surface, and Rock Pikmin would work, however. I don't think that Sakurai thought of another Pikmin rep to be very unique. If you do not agree with me, then show me a moveset that is different from any other character in the game, or at least worthy of the Lucas-Ness difference.

I don't understand the problem with a dead series losing a character. Sakurai went on record to say he does not make it a priority to include characters he does not see a series' future for. Mother being all but confirmed to be done, why should it keep two characters? Why does it, with this sentiment, deserve to be one of the next downloaded characters, and where does this give Lucas much of a shot, other than his personal bias for the character? I just don't see it.
Because a) Sakurai hates cutting characters, and b) he hates cutting them for the reason that every single one has it's own fans, even the Melee clones and Dark Pit.

Also: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/no-sequel-for-kid-icarus-uprising. By your logic, then Palutena (however her name is spelled) should not have been high-priority in this game, nor would anyone have a problem with her going in a possible future game since Sakurai is effectively declaring Kid Icarus dead.

What you consider over-repping is not necessarily what he does. It seems to come down to what Japan would want. Three KI, four FE... I know this is in part because they were clones, but even there, he already had made separate models for those series and not others because they were popular in Japan, much, much more so than anywhere else.
With this, in Japan and worldwide, with old audiences and new, you must remember the power of Pokemon.

ALL of that said, Mewtwo is considered, or stated, to be a 'new' character. Charizard, being slightly reworked, was not a new character. Mewtwo must be pretty different in this game. I am not very sure we are going to get too many old veterans if we get DLC, particularly after Sakurai's comment about "not wanting the fans to feel like it was withheld content." Veterans would DEFINITELY feel like withheld content.
Fair enough, but I must ask: how would they feel like withheld content?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Accusing people falsely of stuff will get you attitude. I suggest you stop making false accusations entirely.

It is YOUR OPINION that Mother is "severely underrepped," however, I'd add that as a small franchise barely known outside of Japan without any foreseeable future, it is lucky to have ever made it into Smash. It is certainly not severely underreped, by any standard, and it is mostly your incredibly melodramatic use of the word 'severely' that I take use with your persistent claim. It ever got too reps in a 35 character roster. Now that, sir, is bizarre. When 99 percent of the population, even 90 percent of Nintendo population, thinks of video game necessities, Mother does not jump out in the top categories, and any recognition it received outside of Japan is specifically from the Smash games themselves. It is fine for you to want it to have more content, and to think it a darn tooten candidate for it-
Oh, it's severely underrepped already. Popularity is not a good enough reason. So is many other series. DK, Golden Sun, and many others. Pokemon is almost perfectly repped right now. Mewtwo and one more stage gives it a great representation. Mother has been constantly called on never having its two other games released outside of Japan and has been wanted for ages. Don't act like it didn't warrant anything. it absolutely deserves its two characters and way more than it got. Pokemon got exactly what it deserved(including Mewtwo) outside of one stage.

Again, I'm bringing it into question, and therefore, it is in question.
The majority of vocal Smash population (internet) is not that hard pressed for Pokemon content, mostly because the demographics do not explicitly overlap. Therefore, the Pokemon voice is not nearly as representative of what the locale is for the games- or the history. The stages alone are a miserable representation of this, as you pointed out. What counts in representation? I'd argue 70 percent characters, 15 percent stages (hazards included), 10 percent items (AT included), and 5 percent trophies and music. It's great to have all of it, but having a song in smash, while Nintendo's music is sensational, does not feel, at least to me, as a real tribute to a series. It feels like an afterthought, particularly in this iteration, where we have 9 remixes from previous games.
Bosses left in Brawl. They are very different actual things in Smash and are specific to Single Player(which can include Co-Op, but it's designed around one player overall) in some way. Always have been, always will be. Getting tired of misusing this term. That applies to every game in history too. Rayquaza is nothing more than a Hazard now. Pokemon does not deserve 70% of the playable character cast. Nothing does. That's beyond ridiculous and completely ignores too many series. Brawl had 39 fairly unique characters(it is not 35, even as Sakurai said himself). They got 6 characters, a very big chunk of it, which was honestly very reasonable. Out of 51, having 6 playable characters is fine, as long as other series aren't shafted. And many were. And it includes both playable and non-playable.
The point we disagree on fundamentally is that you think Starfox and Mother are not well represented, and that Pokemon is.
I view it as the opposite, that Mother is more than completely represented by Ness alone, although I would have preferred Lucas.
When they barely have 1/10 the content of Pokemon? Yeah, that's severely underrepresented by far. Nothing deserves that for playable. Period. The fact it already had viable playable characters means there's no reason to not return them first. Pokemon is already sitting high at 6 characters with Mewtwo's veteran status back soon. Just needs one more stage, and it has perfect representation.
Starfox, similarly, could have another character without it being too much, but I don't find it necessary at this time, not when the games were made, given how the series has been doing.
Adding Wolf could not even close to being "too much". He litrally adds 3 Trophies and 1 character overall. Assuming they don't re-use the current Trophies he has. That's such a tiny change that hit has zero significant impact int he percentage. A single Pokemon character actually affects it more due to how big Pokemon is already. We're taling a 1% jump VS what can effectively be anywhere between a 5% ato 10% jump. That's a huge difference.
Mother and StarFox both had all of these except profitable, and only for Mother outside of Japan because of the lack of two games.
It did not because it has no good way to make a somewhat new character. As noted by someone else, making someone other than quick clone, which doesn't have enough unique properties or something different to make them stand out. It also does not have as much popularity as the other clone choices to earn it.
Easily. Only Ivysaur has a strong reason to come back, to represent the Grass type, a key factor in Pokemon representation. The Types clearly do matter, and are the biggest focus of how Pokemon Stadium and the character movesets are designed. Squirtle is legitimately covered right now by having another available Water Type Starter, his key role. He's almost in Young Link's position, except for having a unique moveset, his role is actually gone.
I saw a barely repped series lose a character. I saw a severely repped character lose two guys. I'm going to easily go for the barely repped one to return. Because the series gets barely any love and it would better even out the representation. Don't frankly be surprised if Pokemon gets no more characters this time and they only return Wolf and Lucas as well. That could actually happen. Being dead only applies to not spending time on them before DLC. He never said once it applied to his DLC choices. He in fact has never talked about any rules about them in any way.

And Pokemon has more than enough content and already perfectly done with Mewtwo coming, save one more Stage, anyway. It's just lacking in good Grass representation among its Types. And Ivysaur does not have an easy moveset to work with, with Tether Recoveries removed for balance purposes. Squirtle is already covered well enough with Greninja, making his most notable point somewhat redundant. He may be cool on his own, but roles have played a point, whih iis why Young Link got thrown out for Toon Link.

Mewtwo is still a Veteran no matter what. He's only "New" in the sense he cannot just be ported over from the original game. They have to recreate him, make New data. He is still a previous playable character in the end. He's still a Veteran otherwise. Once a Vet, always a Vet. That cannot ever be changed. Especially since he's pretty clearly his Melee design, and not the newer feminine Mewtwo either.

Let's not pretend I don't want to see every series get a good chunk of representation. Pokemon and Mario just happened to be the only ones other than Kid Icarus who are very well repped. Arguably, Fire Emblem too. It's everything else that suffers a bit. And some don't have viable choices(Pikmin) who instead can have more Trophies, Assists, and Stages and Music. Pikmin got a big of the shaft too and could be done better. If Alts count(and they arguably do since they're almost entirely treated like their own guy in-game, although not for any specific Challenges), then Pikmin has 2, Mario has 14, Fire Emblem has 5, and Wii Fit has 2. Although Male/Female differences are easily ignorable over actually different named characters. Regardless, you get what I mean. The only issue with Fire Emblem is that it needs to really try to show off other weapons. It's otherwise fine.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
By the time E3 rolls around again, Mewtwo will have been released. MK8 DLC will have been released. It'll be pretty interesting to see if anything gets announced or talked about there. I have this gut feeling Nintendo is taking us on a ride we won't be getting off of any time soon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pikmin only has bulbmins, Mushroom Pikmin, and Rock Pikmin left in terms of unique Pikmin. Mushroom Pikmin are hostile, bulbmins cannot be taken to the surface, and Rock Pikmin would work, however. I don't think that Sakurai thought of another Pikmin rep to be very unique. If you do not agree with me, then show me a moveset that is different from any other character in the game, or at least worthy of the Lucas-Ness difference.
Are we really on the "a character cannot be made unique" argument? Pikmin could be made to individually do many different things.
However, in the point above, I must not be reading you correctly, because it appears to me you claim that Lucas and Ness are different enough, even though they work from the same base (and still play differently)- it is not too difficult to imagine how Alph easily could be, just alter properties further and allow for different types of smashes. They are incredibly easy to come up with, they can literally be anything.
Or go a completely different route and have the trio as a single character instead.
Or just make it Louie instead of Alph and you have Toon Link to Link situation.

Because a) Sakurai hates cutting characters, and b) he hates cutting them for the reason that every single one has it's own fans, even the Melee clones and Dark Pit.
Sakurai has said he does not like to cut characters, and for that matter change them; this does not mean he doesn't do it. Refer to the previous games, we have a number of cut characters. The damage is done at this point.

Also: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/no-sequel-for-kid-icarus-uprising. By your logic, then Palutena (however her name is spelled) should not have been high-priority in this game, nor would anyone have a problem with her going in a possible future game since Sakurai is effectively declaring Kid Icarus dead.
Sakurai developed one game for Kid Icarus, and in doing so is leaving the series open for someone else to take over. He is not declaring the series dead, he is saying that as far as he knows, he will not be working on a future game.
Needless to say, he also never planned on doing Smash Bros Brawl, or Smash 4, and is saying the same about probably not doing a future Smash installment again. Even more, he did not create Kid Icarus, and someone else can take over for it. Additionally, it's only two years out from release, is still heavily on many minds, and further yet, is his baby.

However, the biggest difference is that, it is not dead. Unlike Mother, wherein the creator itself officially said there will not be a Mother 4. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123642-Earthbound-Creator-Says-New-Sequel-is-Impossible
This is not a single developer saying he will not develop another game, this is the creator saying, "no."

Fair enough, but I must ask: how would they feel like withheld content?
How would returning veterans feel like withheld content?
Sakurai's statement alluded to fan reaction to DLC by other companies in the past, that among other obstacles of fan service, part of the difficulty was that fans felt like part of the game was held back from the disc (or locked) to only be released later as paid content.
If it is content we got for free in other installments, or as part of the disc, it certainly would feel more like it was being withheld to me, than entirely original content I have not seen before. I don't believe Sakurai held anything back, of course, but if he is worried this is the case, then simply releasing the cut veterans as DLC would certainly read as characters he saved to make the game feel as though it had the complete roster it would have otherwise had, rather than new characters he decided to embark on.

Accusing people falsely of stuff will get you attitude. I suggest you stop making false accusations entirely.
From my perspective, you've had an attitude with me this entire time. Please kindly tell me what I accused you of. If it was my 'bias' remark, you absolutely are being bias. This, of COURSE, does not mean I am not bias myself. Additionally, you may find "telling people what to do" can also come across as being not only arrogant and condescending, as does attempting to correct statements which are not incorrect in the first place, and you merely want to demonstrate that you have knowledge.

Oh, it's severely underrepped already. Popularity is not a good enough reason. So is many other series. DK, Golden Sun, and many others. Pokemon is almost perfectly repped right now. Mewtwo and one more stage gives it a great representation. Mother has been constantly called on never having its two other games released outside of Japan and has been wanted for ages. Don't act like it didn't warrant anything. it absolutely deserves its two characters and way more than it got. Pokemon got exactly what it deserved(including Mewtwo) outside of one stage.
Again, these are all your opinions. I hope you can see that they are not facts.
Some facts. Pokemon is much more than even a video game, it is an intercultural, legitimate economic study defined as phenomena.
*see "Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokemon" for a fascinating look into the start of what I'm referring to if you are so inclined.* Pokemon is at least 4 main Video game series with a handful of other spinoffs (Main RPG, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Stadium, Pinball, Coliseum, Trozei, Puzzle League, Snap, Rumble, Channel--); it is one of the longest running cartoons still on tv, it has had nearly 20 movies to go with it, a wildly popular trading card game which individuals compete on high levels (as they do with the main game as well), figurines, plush, more merchandise than you can possibly comprehend in every category from clothing to shampoo to cereal to tissues.... to pair this recognition with the success the series has had, in its ability to market to nearly any demographic, particularly when it first launched- is why it was such a revolution in through 2001, and still a hold stay today.
I don't think Mother should be barred of all representation- but I think that an officially completed, almost fully localized, nearly decade old series of only 3 games... has more than enough representation in having one character. Those last points are all facts. You can believe Mother is under represented, but I believe that for a series 1/50th the size of Pokemon's empire, it is lucky to get anything at all- so many other series (Advance Wars, Golden Sun, etc) do not.

Bosses left in Brawl. They are very different actual things in Smash and are specific to Single Player(which can include Co-Op, but it's designed around one player overall) in some way. Always have been, always will be. Getting tired of misusing this term. That applies to every game in history too. Rayquaza is nothing more than a Hazard now. Pokemon does not deserve 70% of the playable character cast. Nothing does. That's beyond ridiculous and completely ignores too many series. Brawl had 39 fairly unique characters(it is not 35, even as Sakurai said himself). They got 6 characters, a very big chunk of it, which was honestly very reasonable. Out of 51, having 6 playable characters is fine, as long as other series aren't shafted. And many were. And it includes both playable and non-playable.
I don't know what you read to spur... any of this response, but I never claimed any series should have 70 percent of the roster.
My big issue with Pokemon is not it having only 6 characters, it is which six they chose, which are haphazard and, as a whole, do not represent the series. Pokemon is not an eclectic series of spontaneous monsters- or at least, it is far more than that. As I mentioned once before, Sakurai added Robin and made a claim that he fit perfectly, because now the essence of Fire Emblem was finally in Smash Bros.
With the current selection of Pokemon, the essence of Pokemon is not in the game. It is difficult to represent such a varying title in just a few characters, but there is so much to the world of pokemon, that all of the characters just being mere pokemon, standing alone, does not work. There is no synergy between the chosen characters, and it does not portray the series.

When they barely have 1/10 the content of Pokemon? Yeah, that's severely underrepresented by far.
For a series with perhaps 1/10th of the number of viable characters, 1/50 of the actual content in games, 1/80th of the number of fans, 1/500 of the amount of revenue? I don't think so. For your sake, as well as on a logical level as very few of Nintendo's IPs actually compare to the couple of monolithic titles at their forefront, I think the comparison to Pokemon is a poor one to make.

Easily. Only Ivysaur has a strong reason to come back, to represent the Grass type, a key factor in Pokemon representation. The Types clearly do matter, and are the biggest focus of how Pokemon Stadium and the character movesets are designed. Squirtle is legitimately covered right now by having another available Water Type Starter, his key role. He's almost in Young Link's position, except for having a unique moveset, his role is actually gone.
This is such utter nonsense I don't even know what to do with it anymore. The arbitrary confines which merely are descriptors of both Squirtle and Greninja, without being at all what they stand for.
Surely, if this is the quota, then Link alone must fill the quota for "link's" in a game, or Mario for "mario's", but still we have the Doctor and Toon Link in the game. What about a Ninja? We have two of those. Blue haired fire emblem swordsman? Hello Marth, Ike, and Lucina. How about Anthropomorphic Space Pilot, Fox and Falco, or Psychic little boys from Mother?
The only possible way that Greninja could even stand in as a water starter, is if there were a third starter, a grass starter, in place. Without such, both he and Charizard both just happen to be starting Pokemon, who were chosen for popularity and perceived popularity.

And Pokemon has more than enough content and already perfectly done with Mewtwo coming, save one more Stage, anyway. It's just lacking in good Grass representation among its Types. And Ivysaur does not have an easy moveset to work with, with Tether Recoveries removed for balance purposes. Squirtle is already covered well enough with Greninja, making his most notable point somewhat redundant. He may be cool on his own, but roles have played a point, whih iis why Young Link got thrown out for Toon Link.
Young Link is Toon Link, they are quite literally the same character in different art styles. Zelda and Link were updated from their Ocarina of Time look to their Twilight Princess look. Young Link was updated from his OoT look to his Windwaker design. It is the exact same character, it has nothing to do with roles. For an accurate parallelism of roles, refer above.

Mewtwo is still a Veteran no matter what. He's only "New" in the sense he cannot just be ported over from the original game. They have to recreate him, make New data. He is still a previous playable character in the end. He's still a Veteran otherwise. Once a Vet, always a Vet. That cannot ever be changed. Especially since he's pretty clearly his Melee design, and not the newer feminine Mewtwo either.
If the terms veteran and new character are opposites in this case, which is, I suppose, for an individual to decide, I will merely state- Sakurai referred to Mewtwo as a new character.
Perhaps he is getting such an overhaul that the return of the Intellectual Property was not enough to justify calling him a veteran.

Let's not pretend I don't want to see every series get a good chunk of representation. Pokemon and Mario just happened to be the only ones other than Kid Icarus who are very well repped. Arguably, Fire Emblem too. It's everything else that suffers a bit. And some don't have viable choices(Pikmin) who instead can have more Trophies, Assists, and Stages and Music. Pikmin got a big of the shaft too and could be done better. If Alts count(and they arguably do since they're almost entirely treated like their own guy in-game, although not for any specific Challenges), then Pikmin has 2, Mario has 14, Fire Emblem has 5, and Wii Fit has 2. Although Male/Female differences are easily ignorable over actually different named characters. Regardless, you get what I mean. The only issue with Fire Emblem is that it needs to really try to show off other weapons. It's otherwise fine.
I disagree on most of these fronts. You may want to see series well represented, but again, I claim, I do too. I just don't by any means think all series are created equal. No, not at all. I think nearly any character could have viable options as a fighter, and we have seen this time and time again, to the point that it's almost a silly response to read.

All that said, we are more and more veering off the point of discussing DLC. Please PM me if you feel the desire to discuss this further.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

By the time E3 rolls around again, Mewtwo will have been released. MK8 DLC will have been released. It'll be pretty interesting to see if anything gets announced or talked about there. I have this gut feeling Nintendo is taking us on a ride we won't be getting off of any time soon.
Yeah I'm still kinda perturbed that Sakurai says there are no other DLC plans beyond Mewtwo (although, just having Mewtwo is a miracle), because Smash Bros. of all games seems very well suited to DLC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I'm still kinda perturbed that Sakurai says there are no other DLC plans beyond Mewtwo (although, just having Mewtwo is a miracle), because Smash Bros. of all games seems very well suited to DLC.
Sakurai was never a big fan of DLC. He wants to make sure Mewtwo and DLC is popular enough to warrant doing a ton more. All of this costs time and money, so that actually means they have to sell enough to get money to pay his employees. He's just being reasonably smart about this and waiting.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai was never a big fan of DLC. He wants to make sure Mewtwo and DLC is popular enough to warrant doing a ton more. All of this costs time and money, so that actually means they have to sell enough to get money to pay his employees. He's just being reasonably smart about this and waiting.
I still think its just a PR statement. We already know they planned for the possibility of DLC, Namco were hiring for "Smash Bros. 6" back around E3, Nintendo's doing DLC with all their biggest games right now... Sorry, I don't buy it. Sakurai said no DLC was planned? Who the **** cares, Sakurai lied about several things already. I don't think Sakurai himself will be working on it, but he likely already has a plan for whoever takes over for DLC to handle.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still think its just a PR statement. We already know they planned for the possibility of DLC, Namco were hiring for "Smash Bros. 6" back around E3, Nintendo's doing DLC with all their biggest games right now... Sorry, I don't buy it. Sakurai said no DLC was planned? Who the **** cares, Sakurai lied about several things already. I don't think Sakurai himself will be working on it, but he likely already has a plan for whoever takes over for DLC to handle.
Lied about several things? Not really.

He was saying no DLC beyond Mewtwo and Miiverse were planned. He released the latest patch before saying that. I don't see any reason why he would plan tons of extra stuff if he wasn't sure it was worth it. Nothing else is being worked on. Nothing else is planned. It makes perfect sense. The only reason he did a few updates was due to a few issues that came up. But the game is very well balanced, and he outright stopped the balance patches once the Wii U version was out, making the latest patch equal to that game's character data. Period.

Sakurai has made it rather clear that he doesn't like constantly updating games because he likes giving us a finished product instead. I see his point too. If you keep changing it up, you don't feel like you have a strong product out there and on real confidence in what it was when finished. It's like you have to keep fixing mistakes. But he made so few anyway. Yes, a lot of series are poorly represented to a very disproportionate degree. StarFox, Donkey Kong, Mother, and Metroid got a severe shaft. DLC would be great to fix this, but that won't matter if he doesn't feel it's wroth it to continue making more. He has no plans because there's no reason to believe outright everybody will pick up Mewtwo quickly. Sure, it's an understandable assumption they will, but he's playing a very logical "wait and see" approach. If he starts throwing in tons of DLC or working on it and he learns few people want to buy it, he just wasted time and money on a piece of the product that'll never earn enough money back to pay his workers.

You have to look at it from his perspective. What incentive is there to do it right now, not knowing if people will constantly pay for all the DLC characters, which quite clearly are not free as we know you'll have to pay for Mewtwo unless you get the deal with Club Nintendo. He needs to know for sure people will pay. Or at least a good chunk of them. Enough that he believes more DLC characters is worth the effort. Stages are not the same thing, as they can be done even faster, regardless if they're balanced well enough for competitive play. They just have to lack glitches and be unique enough to be made. That's... it. You then have to link all the Songs to it, presumably making them all auto-unlocked.

Never mind each character requires customs, more colors, more Trophies made, and so on. Mewtwo alone is going to take a lot of work. He doesn't have time or any good reason to work on another character at this time. As you said, he made it possible for Character/Stage DLC, right? Well, he just told us of a Character and Stage DLC. Which means he's putting that data to work already and he doesn't have to make anything beyond that. I don't know why people think he absolutely will make tons of DLC characters and stages. There's no reason to believe that's guaranteed. There's no reason to believe he's working on anything beyond the character and stage at the moment. He even stopped doing patches, just to show he means it. He'll only do a new patch if a serious issue comes up. Not a smaller one, just one that actually breaks the game. It has to be as bad as ZSS' infinite on Robin(which was patched out), and it does seem there's a new Bowser Jr. Kart glitch, so I can see that being fixed soon enough since it completely changes the hitboxes and matters in battle(enough that tourneys are putting up rules for it).

This isn't like the Brawl characters. Or even Melee or 64. They didn't have nearly as much put into them. Including balance, costumes, and especially not custom moves. It's a whole new ballgame and takes a huge amount of work even for one. The difference is that it won't take nearly as long for one guy who simply just needs new data. I don't think any Veteran was this lucky either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom