• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Ive made my rounds to a few other smash bros areas around the net, and it seems like i said that snakes haters have grown very bold after pacman's reveal.

It sickens me to see so much hate for such a great character from so many nintendo fans. Just the gamefaqs posts alone are just horrendous, have a look at this rainbow pile of crap

"During Nintendo's e3 showing, Snake was no where to be found. However, if you wanted to see him.. you could take a trip to the Microsoft or Sony booths where Metal Gear Solid 5 was being shown. How embarrassing would it be for Nintendo to include Snake after being absent from their e3?"

"but the boundaries were REALLLY stretched and pushed to make him belong.
They managed to succeed incredibly well, I just think we have reached a place were someone like Snake just isnt who should have in smash, even if they can make it work, they can also make other characters work ten times better."

"One other thing I've noticed is that they seem to have distributed his move set to other characters. ZSS final smash, Sheik's grenades, etc."

"Snake was a great addition moveset-wise. But he's a terrible addition from almost any other angle. He was out of place, his series is out of place with Smash, and worst of all, he's not at all synonymous with Nintendo anymore. Remember the Sony Press Conference? "Metal Gear Solid is a staple to the Sony franchise"

"But no matter. The evidence just piles up and up against Snake's inclusion, and he doesn't really get any evidence that would work in his favor. You can argue all you want, but chances are, your favorite soldier is getting the axe."

"The argument is that Snake doesn't belong in a Nintendo crossover game, even with third parties allowed, and Sakurai only put him in because dat bias."

"He felt really out of place next to Nintendo's characters, and Snake barely has any games on Nintendo platforms to justify him being in Smash."

---
And this is only from ONE THREAD

At this point as a snake supporter this is what drives me up the wall about some fans, and their nintendo purist attitude. The one that bugs the most is that people seem to think that snake was torn apart and his assets were place on other characters which just isnt true. The biggest example people are trying to use is zero suit samus' final smash, which only shares the fact that you can aim with a reticle, if that is what they think its ridiculous because a ton of characters already have transformations yet that doesnt stop others from doing it either.

Thus ive come up with something that may work in our favor for snake in the longrun. Snake is definitely deserving and still very possible, but they are leaving us kinda high and dry at the moment. So i think its time that we finally strike back, and make nintendo and everyone take notice while the time is right and while they are looking at feedback.

Thus i introduce are hashtag to get the word out about us wanting snake to return

#bringbacksnakeSSB4

or something to that extent (it could be worded better if anyone has any suggestions). But I think if we can get that to trend, and get it on miiverse enough with artwork and other things it might get the word out and also help other snake fans rally together so we can be as loud as we truly are deep down.

Petitions wont work, and with everyone in the media skirting around the issue this could be beneficial in many ways, especially if snake doesnt return since it could get sakurai to consider DLC with him in the longrun.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ive made my rounds to a few other smash bros areas around the net, and it seems like i said that snakes haters have grown very bold after pacman's reveal.

It sickens me to see so much hate for such a great character from so many nintendo fans. Just the gamefaqs posts alone are just horrendous, have a look at this rainbow pile of crap

"During Nintendo's e3 showing, Snake was no where to be found. However, if you wanted to see him.. you could take a trip to the Microsoft or Sony booths where Metal Gear Solid 5 was being shown. How embarrassing would it be for Nintendo to include Snake after being absent from their e3?"

They managed to succeed incredibly well, I just think we have reached a place were someone like Snake just isnt who should have in smash, even if they can make it work, they can also make other characters work ten times better."

"One other thing I've noticed is that they seem to have distributed his move set to other characters. ZSS final smash, Sheik's grenades, etc."

"Snake was a great addition moveset-wise. But he's a terrible addition from almost any other angle. He was out of place, his series is out of place with Smash, and worst of all, he's not at all synonymous with Nintendo anymore. Remember the Sony Press Conference? "Metal Gear Solid is a staple to the Sony franchise"

"But no matter. The evidence just piles up and up against Snake's inclusion, and he doesn't really get any evidence that would work in his favor. You can argue all you want, but chances are, your favorite soldier is getting the axe."

"The argument is that Snake doesn't belong in a Nintendo crossover game, even with third parties allowed, and Sakurai only put him in because dat bias."

"He felt really out of place next to Nintendo's characters, and Snake barely has any games on Nintendo platforms to justify him being in Smash."

---

At this point as a snake supporter this is what drives me up the wall about some fans, and their nintendo purist attitude. The one that bugs the most is that people seem to think that snake was torn apart and his assets were place on other characters which just isnt true. The biggest example people are trying to use is zero suit samus' final smash, which only shares the fact that you can aim with a reticle, if that is what they think its ridiculous because a ton of characters already have transformations yet that doesnt stop others from doing it either.

Thus ive come up with something that may work in our favor for snake in the longrun. Snake is definitely deserving and still very possible, but they are leaving us kinda high and dry at the moment. So i think its time that we finally strike back, and make nintendo and everyone take notice while the time is right and while they are looking at feedback.

Thus i introduce are hashtag to get the word out about us wanting snake to return

#bringbacksnakeSSB4

or something to that extent (it could be worded better if anyone has any suggestions). But I think if we can get that to trend, and get it on miiverse enough with artwork and other things it might get the word out and also help other snake fans rally together so we can be as loud as we truly are deep down.

Petitions wont work, and with everyone in the media skirting around the issue this could be beneficial in many ways, especially if snake doesnt return since it could get sakurai to consider DLC with him in the longrun.
We could bombard Kojima and Sakurai's twitter with that.
Maybe make us get a reveal or deconfirmation really soon.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
Here's an idea: How are we different from the Lucas thread?
I beg you not to look at this situation as a Snake supporter, but as a logical human being who understands and can see through biases. The simple fact is, we have the same chance of being included OR cut as the other unconfirmed characters.
This part made me take a step back and realize how good Snake's chances are, and made me realize that Snake has no reason to be cut. I don't know why I never realized this before, and I feel incredibly stupid since it has taken me this long to realize it. I don't even know why I originally thought he was going to be cut anymore, just now I feel that his chances are way better. I always said he had no reason to be cut, but now I realize that from the developer's perspective, cutting Snake would be a dumb move. I don't know why this has taken me so long to realize.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman

---

#bringbacksnakeSSB4

Ugh... some of those posts are from Dedekong, the worst gamefaqs user ever. Basically, he's very opinionated. Even going as far as bashing Mega Man and saying he won't be in the game cuz he hasn't had a game in forever. Just look his name up, and you'll see how biased he is.

Anyways, so step 1... how will we get word out?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Right so when do we plan Operation: Bring him back (working title)
It'll have to be anytime you open twitter post a quick tweet at him.
I recommend doing it during Japanese daylight times.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Ugh... some of those posts are from Dedekong, the worst gamefaqs user ever. Basically, he's very opinionated. Even going as far as bashing Mega Man and saying he won't be in the game cuz he hasn't had a game in forever. Just look his name up, and you'll see how biased he is.

Anyways, so step 1... how will we get word out?
yeah Dedekong is a slimeball ive been fighting against for a long time, mainly an attention seeker though since none of his claims never have any basis.

As for how to get it out, like i said before through miiverse and maybe even other social media or sites or image posting sites in general. Just putting that hashtag in as many places as possible and spreading the word of it could get it trending, hell even getting metal gear fans not that interested in smash bros might be possible since id assume they would rather see him then not.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Really though guys, I'm a big Snake fan and I'm pretty sure he got the axe. But that doesn't mean you just get sad and don't do anything about it.

The internet is a powerful place. Something as miniscule as Snake in a video game could spread like wildfire on a social media site like Twitter or Facebook.

I said it before a few months ago, so I hope you guys can be a little patient with me here. I plan on making a thread for it because I do have some passion for Snake in Smash Bros. Kojima openly said he would totally be for Snake in Smash if Sakurai wanted to do it, so it's still possible. Snake would simply have to be a DLC character. All it needs is time and pressure.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Really though guys, I'm a big Snake fan and I'm pretty sure he got the axe. But that doesn't mean you just get sad and don't do anything about it.

The internet is a powerful place. Something as miniscule as Snake in a video game could spread like wildfire on a social media site like Twitter or Facebook.

I said it before a few months ago, so I hope you guys can be a little patient with me here. I plan on making a thread for it because I do have some passion for Snake in Smash Bros. Kojima openly said he would totally be for Snake in Smash if Sakurai wanted to do it, so it's still possible. Snake would simply have to be a DLC character. All it needs is time and pressure.
There needs to be more mods like you, I swear XD

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So, in the OP of my thread (in progress obviously), I was going to make a list of arguments as to why Snake should come back. This isn't going to be a typical support thread. I'm not going to include negatives. Only positives.

So, here's what I've got so far:

1) First 3rd party character EVER added to Super Smash Bros.
2) Was met with generally positive reviews
3) Was a well made character that fit in rather well based on his origin
4) He is a 3rd party character who DOES have history with Nintendo
5) In Brawl tournaments, he's one of the most used characters. This is the competitive community, which is something that is getting a major focus set upon it this time.
6) When we lose Snake, we're losing an entire series from Smash Bros. All the trophies, all the music, the stage...and most importantly, Snake himself.

So far, that's what I've got. This seems pretty substantial, but there's probably other stuff I could add.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Posted one for now, more to come though (ill do some art for those, although im sure there is a good miiverse artist that can do better then i could)

(and geez not even after a few minutes after posting it, i already got some scrub listing his reasons as to why snake is gone, pretty much the same double standard arguments)

Last edited:

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
So, in the OP of my thread (in progress obviously), I was going to make a list of arguments as to why Snake should come back. This isn't going to be a typical support thread. I'm not going to include negatives. Only positives.

5) In Brawl tournaments, he's one of the most used characters. This is the competitive community, which is something that is getting a major focus set upon it this time.
6) When we lose Snake, we're losing an entire series from Smash Bros. All the trophies, all the music, the stage...and most importantly, Snake himself.

So far, that's what I've got. This seems pretty substantial, but there's probably other stuff I could add.
I guess this might fit under 6, but he also adds diversity among the list of game franchises represented in Smash because the series he is from is the only M rated game, and he's also the only character from a series of games that revolve around stealth.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

That sounds like really good points probably want to put the Hashtag in there somewhere.
Of course I'm sure you already know to do that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Basically I'm gathering things to talk about and people to support it. I might end up making a thread for different characters including Snake so look for it.

I'll probably link you guys to it.

But yeah. We'll definitely get a hashtag going for Snake. We can do this guys.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
So honestly don't see how other characters getting similar moves would count against snake.

Charizard and Bowser both have flame breathe.
Marth, Roy and Ike All have parries.
Star Fox and EB characters all have similar but tweaked specials. AND final smashes.
Toon Link is still more clones than the others above. He is also back in the game.

I think Snake should get Rex as his final smash especially after MGS4. The Mech is one of the most iconic parts of that series..so let Zamus have the laser beam targeting.

I think these people are just grasping for reasons because THEY don't want him, so people like that tend to forfeit all logic. Inversely, because I want Snake so I look at all the positive reasons he should be in the game.

As it was pointed out we don't have strong evidence for or against him so for now it is still 50/50. It is still this way for many characters: Chrom and Shulk (if leak is right), Lucas (or Ness), MetaKnight, ROB, Falco, Ganondorf, Wolf.

Only hard evidence for others are:
- Ice Climbers have the bear in smash run
- Marshall/Chorus Men have an enemy in Smash Run
- Franklin Badge is back (so we can only pull an EB character, if not both, is back)
- Gorohs AT gives Falcon a Good chance
- Ashley and Waluigi gives wario that chance

And people were raving about Ike being cut and he is still fighting for his friends. much like Snake is keeping us waiting. I will be so relieved and excited if/when he is announced.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So honestly don't see how other characters getting similar moves would count against snake.

Charizard and Bowser both have flame breathe.
Marth, Roy and Ike All have parries.
Star Fox and EB characters all have similar but tweaked specials. AND final smashes.
Toon Link is still more clones than the others above. He is also back in the game.

I think Snake should get Rex as his final smash especially after MGS4. The Mech is one of the most iconic parts of that series..so let Zamus have the laser beam targeting.

I think these people are just grasping for reasons because THEY don't want him, so people like that tend to forfeit all logic. Inversely, because I want Snake so I look at all the positive reasons he should be in the game.

As it was pointed out we don't have strong evidence for or against him so for now it is still 50/50. It is still this way for many characters: Chrom and Shulk (if leak is right), Lucas (or Ness), MetaKnight, ROB, Falco, Ganondorf, Wolf.

Only hard evidence for others are:
- Ice Climbers have the bear in smash run
- Marshall/Chorus Men have an enemy in Smash Run
- Franklin Badge is back (so we can only pull an EB character, if not both, is back)
- Gorohs AT gives Falcon a Good chance
- Ashley and Waluigi gives wario that chance

And people were raving about Ike being cut and he is still fighting for his friends. much like Snake is keeping us waiting. I will be so relieved and excited WHEN he is announced.
Fixed it for you.
But yeah the Ike thing is what I think gives Snake the best chance.
I remember before he was revealed everyone and I mean EVERYONE cut him from their roster.
Look what happened.
The same thing will happen with Snake everyone has got him cut from their roster and as soon as he's revealed everyone will have him on their roster (for obvious reasons).

Last edited:

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I definitely support Snake to return. He is one of the vets I'm most excited to see return.

To me, he really stood out from the rest of the roster in a good way. The whole gritty, grumpy sense of humor was something I felt was missing prior to Brawl.

We only have about 3 months left before the 3DS version comes out in Japan, so its too soon to lose hope.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I have hope now, the bigboss, the captain, the mods and us soldiers are going to make it happen!

You can add that snake was a very unique character and there wasn't any character like him.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
So who else dipped into Nintendo games more so after snakes inclusion into smash? I know for me Snake is what got me into smash and more open into Nintendo gamesin general.

Zelo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kiseop
3DS FC
3394-3786-6748
So who else dipped into Nintendo games more so after snakes inclusion into smash? I know for me Snake is what got me into smash and more open into Nintendo gamesin general.
It's the opposite for me, Snake's inclusion in Brawl opened the door to MGS and I became a fan thanks to him. I'm just as hyped for MGSV as I am for Smash, and I'm extremely hyped for Smash. :grin:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It was the opposite for me; I've been a huge Nintendo fan since I was six or so, but Snake's inclusion in Smash Bros. got me into the Metal Gear franchise. While I haven't had the opportunity to play MGS4 yet (since I don't own any Playstation systems), I've really enjoyed what I've played so far, and I'm really looking forward to the Phantom Pain.

Ground Zeroes was way too grim and dark for my tastes (understandable, since it's showing how Big Boss became a villain, but I like the quirky humour that MGS has), but it looks like the Phantom Pain is restoring some of that with features like the return of the cardboard box, or being able to kidnap sheep.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was raised as a mixed gamer. I loved watching my brother play Metal Gear Solid, but I was more influenced by Nintendo games. I often played Smash 64 with my other siblings as well (funny because the only consoles my family had around that time was a PS1, Xbox, Gameboy, and an N64 with just Smash and Ocarina of Time... and I still love Nintendo over everything else). And when Snake was announced for Brawl, my brother totally flipped out. It was really cool seeing him in the game as we never thought such a thing could happen.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Snake was what got me into multiple series' not just Metal Gear.
After Snake was included I purchased The Twin Snakes, borrowed Zone of the Enders and have been a Kojima fan since.
I hope Snake is back I wouldn't be able to play it without thinking about him if he is cut.
I'll be playing as Mega Man and be like "Man, I wonder how Snake would do against Mega Man."
It just wouldn't be right for me, he has to be back, I might die a little inside if he's not.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
"Colonel, there's too many people rallying against my return; I need back up!"

"Don't worry, Snake; he's on the way."

"He?!"

Just then, a helicopter -much like the one in Snake's final smash- came flying in. A strange figure rappelled down the swaying ladder.

"Mangatsika!" the primatial comrade exclaimed, "Looks like you could use some help, Snake!"

The sifaka pulled out his M79 grenade launcher. Smash was no joke, and Zobomooafoo fully understood this.

#bringbacksnakeSSB4

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Snake Eater 3D was my first MGS game.
Same. Ended up buying the HD Collection PS3 and played MGS1 on my Vita. Dunno why I slept on the series for so long.

Still need to try out MGS4, but I wanna replay MGS3 first because it's amazing.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Smash got me into Metal Gear for sure. I have vague memories of watching the PC version of the original game get played by other people when I was little, but after Smash, I bought MGS2 on the cheap, then played MGS3 (which is now in my top 3 games of all time), then MGS Integral on the PC, and just a couple weeks ago finally got my hands on MGS4 and Peace Walker HD and have been having tons of fun with both of them. Seriously, there's been a somewhat justified hype backlash against MGS4 due to the ridiculous amount of asinine cutscenes, but it's still a great game. And when I say that, I mean "game", not movie. It's a mediocre movie, but there is plenty of fun to be had with the gameplay. Lots of really wonderful ideas that don't get quite enough time to breathe. I'm not really a heavy user of social media, so I can't say I'll be of much use to the campaign, but good luck. The only thing is maybe wait until he's actually disconfirmed to go all out with this, otherwise you're just bothering people who have already given you what you're asking for. If he doesn't show up in the next direct, then you can start laying it on thick.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Wow, you guys have really restored my hope for Snake. Now I'm hyped for SSB4 again!

So yeah, I actually haven't played Metal Gear solid yet, but I did watch my brother play it about a year ago. But I'm probably going to start this summer.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
What all you guys are talking about is the exact reason he should be in the game.

Give MGS fans a reason to jump into Nintendo universe.
Give Nintendo fans a reason to jump into the MGS universe.

With BOTH SSB3DS/WIIU and MGSV coming out in quick session of one another, feel like it would be a huge mis opportunity to omit Snake.

Top Bottom