• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
If the 3 character limit were true it could just be changed to 4. Remember Sakurai saying the roster will be smaller than Brawl's and that there will be a story mode?

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Lets consider this.
In Brawl we had 2 third parties, maybe Smash 4 is going to double up?
After all, that would mean all four of them would be playable in a 4 player match at once.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I think you just confirmed Half Life 3

But seriously, its a possibility for us to have all 4

They obviously give a damn about this game since there are two versions.
I doubt using Snake a second time is an issue.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Because either Geno or Snake is the final curtain.
I like Geno alot, But Geno (probably) never ever appear in a Nintendo game ever because the wont allow a direct sequel to Mario RPG. And I think back in brawl Sakurai tried to get the rights from Square but they wouldn't allow it. Snake is more likely than Geno. However im not Against Geno i would like him to appear in Final Fantasy game someday.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
That's what I was thinking. At what point would someone have the opportunity to ask that.
The only veteran characters mentioned at the roundtable were Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers. G&W was mentioned because he was at the end of the Pacman trailer, and as for Ice Climbers one of the journalists did ask about them returning but was ignored by Sakurai, apparently. Snake wasn't mentioned at all as far as I'm aware, unfortunately. Perhaps today or tomorrow we'll get a bone thrown at us?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Ok guys I got a Wild Thought are there anyway we can send this thread to Sakurai to let him know how much we want Snake to return.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
If snake is back he would be more cartoony and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I'd rather just remember him for his project M appearance and leave it there.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
If snake is back he would be more cartoony and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I'd rather just remember him for his project M appearance and leave it there.
That seems like a really really trivial reason to not want him to return.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I agree, it's trivial. But isn't that how most opinions work? Personally I don't care if he gets in or not sorry to the supporters.
It's okay. You can have your own opinions an we can have our own. Just don't expect to voice negative opinions about Snake and have us say nothing and agree with you. We'll do our best to prove you wrong in any and every way. Not enough people understand this.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I agree, it's trivial. But isn't that how most opinions work? Personally I don't care if he gets in or not sorry to the supporters.
I don't mind opinions, though I don't see what's wrong with weighing an opinion on its merits as it's a part of healthy discussion. I assumed from your comment that you were more opposed to his inclusion on that basis, but you don't really care so no difference really. FWIW I doubt Snake would have to be changed radically. Ike's gritty though colourful textures act as a sort of proof of concept that Snake would not need to be drastically changed to fit in aesthetically.

Last edited:

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
"If you're going to doubt yourself, I'll leave you here."

I'm not giving up on Snake.

And even if he is not in, I'm still going to the midnight release dressed up as him. Gotta rep dat headband.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what has been said so far. And it's true that it would be funny to have those stupid Mii's and Snake in the same universe. Personally I think Snake has a great moveset, but I'm not buying it yet. I'd have to see what's done to him in the new smash to be convinced he has his spot.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
It's okay. You can have your own opinions an we can have our own. Just don't expect to voice negative opinions about Snake and have us say nothing and agree with you. We'll do our best to prove you wrong in any and every way. Not enough people understand this.
Yeah. We will stop you!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What I'd like to know is what makes Snake so different from Sonic that he HAS to be revealed in E3 instead of a direct like, you know, Sonic? :x

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
What I'd like to know is what makes Snake so different from Sonic that he HAS to be revealed in E3 instead of a direct like, you know, Sonic? :x
Cause it's Snake, LOL no it don't matter just as long he is in the game

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
In one of Gamespot's hands on looks with Smash, they were interviewing someone from Nintendo, and when asked if Snake was in, the guy said they "had not announced Solid Snake, no" (skip to 6:53)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMseKXLk0zA

That could just be what an employee is meant to say when asked about any character that was not officially announced, even if they aren't in the game, but the way the guy said it made it seem suspicious, especially since he goes ummmmmm at the beginning. This probably means nothing, but its still good to hear people ask about Snake.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
In one of Gamespot's hands on looks with Smash, they were interviewing someone from Nintendo, and when asked if Snake was in, the guy said they "had not announced Solid Snake, no" (skip to 6:53)

That could just be what an employee is meant to say when asked about any character that was not officially announced, even if they aren't in the game, but the way the guy said it made it seem suspicious, especially since he goes ummmmmm at the beginning. This probably means nothing, but its still good to hear people ask about Snake.
Now this interests me... it seems like a vague comment, but almost as if it implies he could get announced (as you stated, he states "um" and the fact that he even says anything about how they haven't announced him seems suspicious... I'm taking this with a grain of salt)

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

Could be the "ummm" was him pausing to decide whether or not to say "Snake is not in this one, no" and going with "we have not announced Snake" instead because he doesn't want to be the guy who crushes our dreams. Or, it could be that Snake's still coming. I'm just trying to consider every possibility.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok that is a very good clue to snake being in.
Not only does Kojima "not know".
But also a treehouse developer said he hasn't been announced.
He may be out but I think these 2 people saying I don't know or no comment is a pretty good clue.
After all Sakurai doesn't want anything to be given away.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I think there are some pretty important variables that we forget too:

1. Sure, Metal Gear Solid 3D is the only Metal Gear game to release on a Nintendo console since Brawl, but it came out only a month before Kid Icarus: Uprising, which means it was still very new when development began on Smash Bros. If the character roster really has been around since the beginning of development, "relevance to Nintendo" would not have been an issue with Snake's inclusion due to him starring in a heavily promoted 3DS title that was only a month old at the time. The game is still only just over two years old, so Metal Gear has actually appeared more recently on a Nintendo console than a lot of Nintendo series with Smash characters. Certainly more recently than Mega Man.

2. Snake was not included in PSASBR, despite being a pretty obvious choice. Raiden was included instead. At the time, many people thought the reasoning was obvious: Snake belongs to Smash Bros, a rival game. What has really changed since then other than our optimism?

3. We now have both Kojima and a Nintendo rep giving non-answers when asked directly if he's in the game. Why not just rip the band-aid off? It's also worth noting that if Snake is in the game, there is no way that Kojima doesn't know. His insistence that he has no idea either way is pretty transparently bs. He would have to be approached in order for them to use the character.

4. Konami has been pushing Metal Gear pretty hard these last couple years, almost to the exclusion of all of their other series. From a business perspective, how is it logical to exclude the face of the series from what is sure to be one of the biggest game releases of this generation? I'm living proof that Brawl introduced more people to Metal Gear, so why would Smash 4 be any different? We're essentially in the same position we were with Brawl and MGS4: a numbered entry in the Metal Gear series is coming out soon, exclusively for non-Nintendo consoles, and is supposedly a darker and more adult take on the series. Snake made it in then, and he could make it in now.

Here's my new policy. So long as there are other unannounced starter veterans who are obviously returning, Snake's announcement is possibly being saved for a later date. If we get reveals of Wario, Meta Knight, and Ice Climbers, and there's still no sign of Snake, then and only then should we give up hope. At the moment, it's clear that we're not finished with character reveals until release. Snake could be one of them. There is certainly going to be a Direct between now and release, and there's no reason to believe that a new character announcement won't come like it has with every single general direct since the game's announcement at last E3. This was the same way Sonic was revealed, and Snake being saved for last makes sense, especially since it becomes a more surprising and exciting reveal every second that they keep us waiting.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
There is certainly going to be a Direct between now and release, and there's no reason to believe that a new character announcement won't come like it has with every single general direct since the game's announcement at last E3. This was the same way Sonic was revealed, and Snake being saved for last makes sense, especially since it becomes a more surprising and exciting reveal every second that they keep us waiting.
I'm thinking thats whats gonna happen. They're just gonna reveal him like Sonic, with a 40 sec. trailer, and not make a big deal out of it, even though it would be big news at this point.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

1. Sure, Metal Gear Solid 3D is the only Metal Gear game to release on a Nintendo console since Brawl, but it came out only a month before Kid Icarus: Uprising, which means it was still very new when development began on Smash Bros. If the character roster really has been around since the beginning of development, "relevance to Nintendo" would not have been an issue with Snake's inclusion due to him starring in a heavily promoted 3DS title that was only a month old at the time. The game is still only just over two years old, so Metal Gear has actually appeared more recently on a Nintendo console than a lot of Nintendo series with Smash characters. Certainly more recently than Mega Man.

2. Snake was not included in PSASBR, despite being a pretty obvious choice. Raiden was included instead. At the time, many people thought the reasoning was obvious: Snake belongs to Smash Bros, a rival game. What has really changed since then other than our optimism?

3. We now have both Kojima and a Nintendo rep giving non-answers when asked directly if he's in the game. Why not just rip the band-aid off? It's also worth noting that if Snake is in the game, there is no way that Kojima doesn't know. His insistence that he has no idea either way is pretty transparently bs. He would have to be approached in order for them to use the character.

4. Konami has been pushing Metal Gear pretty hard these last couple years, almost to the exclusion of all of their other series. From a business perspective, how is it logical to exclude the face of the series from what is sure to be one of the biggest game releases of this generation? I'm living proof that Brawl introduced more people to Metal Gear, so why would Smash 4 be any different? We're essentially in the same position we were with Brawl and MGS4: a numbered entry in the Metal Gear series is coming out soon, exclusively for non-Nintendo consoles, and is supposedly a darker and more adult take on the series. Snake made it in then, and he could make it in now.

Here's my new policy. So long as there are other unannounced starter veterans who are obviously returning, Snake's announcement is possibly being saved for a later date. If we get reveals of Wario, Meta Knight, and Ice Climbers, and there's still no sign of Snake, then and only then should we give up hope. At the moment, it's clear that we're not finished with character reveals until release. Snake could be one of them. There is certainly going to be a Direct between now and release, and there's no reason to believe that a new character announcement won't come like it has with every single general direct since the game's announcement at last E3. This was the same way Sonic was revealed, and Snake being saved for last makes sense, especially since it becomes a more surprising and exciting reveal every second that they keep us waiting.
I wouldn't I've up hope until the game comes out, since Sakurai didn't reveal Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff even after Brawl's release. After the game comes out, then I can see if the Konami label is on the back of the game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wouldn't I've up hope until the game comes out, since Sakurai didn't reveal Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff even after Brawl's release. After the game comes out, then I can see if the Konami label is on the back of the game.
Or you could search for Snake on the Japanese Official Website when the game launches there in September.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

I think it's certainly a stock response. If he had said Snake was out then it could've immediately been followed up with a question about a character who was in and a different answer would be far too obvious. Personally speaking I don't like that "ummm", it seems to me like his instinct is to say no but he is thinking about how to address it without compromising anything.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Come to think about it if Pac-Man was the Final Third Party Character why didn't Sakurai point it out in today's Miiverse post!
To be fair, Sakurai never said that Sonic would be the final third party character when he was announced for Brawl. This left many fans speculating for months before Brawl was finally released (in Japan).

Top Bottom