• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
To be fair, the Fire Emblem characters get really heat up about having to kill people. Chrom just wants to end the war his nation's caught up in because he abhors violence for its own sake, Robin just does what s/he has to do to get to that resolution as quickly and humanely as possible - there's even a scene in Sword of Seals where Roy tells the remains of his enemy's troops to retreat from battle, because there is no need to cause any more bloodshed and he knows the man have families to return to.

Samus is a sentient weapon who routinely hunts extraterrestrial murderers for the good of the universe, but even she has her moments of empathy. She's very fond animals if you recall Super Metroid and respects Adam Malkovich as her friend and mentor.

Snake is just wonderfully written, still. I love the fact that this cold-eyed, beardy-chinned super-soldier is, at his core, an absolute pacifist who detest violence and maintains that peace is indeed possible.
Surely, but the Fire Emblem people are more like "I don't want to kill, but if I really have to do it I'm doing it", while Samus sure has an heart, but she had never showed regret for killing Ridley or any of the other Space Pirates so many times.

Snake, on the other hand, starts vomiting after reaching a total number of death. That's really a big signal of regret.

I have exaggerated before, but still his regret from killing other humans is just stronger than the other characters'.

It's people just looking at the fact that MGS typically has a mature rating and not actually looking into the games to realise it's full of really quirky humour. The Smash fanbase can be really ignorant at times.

I think you mean "purposes" at the end as well.
I doubt Marth, Ike, Robin and Samus have these adorable things:

Though Ike could have a Porpoise friend.
:happysheep:
Ahaha, right. Sometimes writing in English while you are thinking in Italian isn't the best combination.

BTW, I was wondering: It'seems just me, or is MG the series that most fan-art pair with Splatoon? I've seen a lot of that!

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I support solid snake too! I have supported him before, and I will do it again! Snake, Snakem Solid Snake for the win! If you think he's cool, wait till you add him to the team, he will make things Beyond Awesome!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Surely, but the Fire Emblem people are more like "I don't want to kill, but if I really have to do it I'm doing it", while Samus sure has an heart, but she had never showed regret for killing Ridley or any of the other Space Pirates so many times.

Snake, on the other hand, starts vomiting after reaching a total number of death. That's really a big signal of regret.

I have exaggerated before, but still his regret from killing other humans is just stronger than the other characters'.

Ahaha, right. Sometimes writing in English while you are thinking in Italian isn't the best combination.

BTW, I was wondering: It'seems just me, or is MG the series that most fan-art pair with Splatoon? I've seen a lot of that!
To be fair Samus has a long and nasty history with Ridley and the Space Pirates. She watched as Ridley killed her mother during a Pirate raid on her homeworld.

Splatoon just has loads of fanart with all sorts of things. Fire Emblem's one I've seen a lot of. Nintendo struck a goldmine with Splatoon. A shame I have no interest in it.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
To be fair Samus has a long and nasty history with Ridley and the Space Pirates. She watched as Ridley killed her mother during a Pirate raid on her homeworld.

Splatoon just has loads of fanart with all sorts of things. Fire Emblem's one I've seen a lot of. Nintendo struck a goldmine with Splatoon. A shame I have no interest in it.
Yeah, I know, but not all Space Pirates were responsible for her parents' death. Heck, not even all Ridleys, since the clone one featured in Other M didn't even existed during that raid.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah, I know, but not all Space Pirates were responsible for her parents' death. Heck, not even all Ridleys, since the clone one featured in Other M didn't even existed during that raid.
The Space Pirates are essentially Terrorists on a Galactic Scale and the clone Ridley is still of the same species as OG Ridley. If he escaped and indeed retained memories he could easily rejoin with the Pirates.
The only time she hesitated to kill was with the Baby Metroid. I want Metroid Dread (or a Fusion sequel) to come out with her being on the run from the Federation, some of which are her former comrades. It'd lead to better characterisation of Samus where she questions taking a human life or not and takes anon-lethal approach like Snake does.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Metal Gear Solid V coming out soon (and effectively ending the Metal Gear saga, barring something like Revengeance 2 coming out), I've decided to play the original Metal Gear through the HD Collection. (using a guide, admittedly - I'd normally avoid that, but I believe this is the game where you have to hatch an owl egg and bring it to one particular part of the map to make it hoot, convincing a guard that it's night, so I don't think logic is going to help me complete this) This is my first time doing it, so that will be interesting.

Also, I'm planning on spriting some Metal Gear characters in the style of Mega Man characters. I realize that Mega Man is generally an easy style to work with, but I was thinking about getting back into making sprites and this seemed like as good of a place as any to start. This is all I've made so far, but I was wondering if people would be interested in me posting more of this, or have any suggestions for how I could improve. (I'll probably go beyond standing sprites with Snake next)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Ok, so I'm a little late to the party, but why exactly is anybody believing what some random schmo on the Twitter is saying? It just seems like people are grasping for anything Smash Bros related because of the draught of info and the upcoming PAX event. There's no evidence to support anything he has said. This guy just sounds like yet another kid with an "uncle who works for Nintendo."

Also, when talking about Metal Gear's humor, we can't forget good ol' Johnny.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Ok, so I'm a little late to the party, but why exactly is anybody believing what some random schmo on the Twitter is saying? It just seems like people are grasping for anything Smash Bros related because of the draught of info and the upcoming PAX event. There's no evidence to support anything he has said. This guy just sounds like yet another kid with an "uncle who works for Nintendo."

Also, when talking about Metal Gear's humor, we can't forget good ol' Johnny.
Or that one scene in Metal Gear Rising with the Weaboo Gaurd

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the Shovel Knight amiibo is confirmed, however it's not smash branded. Doesn't entirely count him out, but at best I suspect he's just a Mii Costume. Not really snake related outside one less participant that could hurt Snake's chances.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of pacifists with awful backgrounds...

Shulk watched the Mechon ravage Colony 9, watched Metal Face impale his childhood friend, saw the devastation caused by Mechon at Colony 6, watched Metal Face impale his new giant pal, watched Metal Face impale his new friend's father, watched as Metal Face, now revealed to be his friend's brother's cowardly war buddy, threatened to slit his childhood friend's throat... and despite all that, when he finally had the chance to kill him, he couldn't go through with it, and he stops his childhood friend's brother from killing him. He even warns Metal Face that he's about to be impaled by a spire as he tries to charge them a final time.

When Shulk battles Egil, the guy masterminding the Mechon invasion that killed hundreds, in person, he can't kill him. He watches Egil kill thousands of his countrymen in revenge and attempt to annihilate his homeland. And he ultimately still decides not to kill him.

Conclusion - depending on your POV, Shulk is either strongly guided by morals or a total idiot. You decide :4shulk:

The Smash fanbase can be really ignorant at times.
:happysheep:
Not only ignorant, but whiny as well. When the roster was leak a year ago (wow, I can't believe it been a year), many people over THREE clones. Why was everyone so surprised when they saw :4darkpit: and :4drmario:? Clones have been Smash since the beginning. Sure, :4lucina: and :4darkpit:were lazy clones, but the amount of butt hurt comments were appalling. They didn't take anyone's spot,and once you unlocked them, you can just ignore them. Not to mention, Sakurai has in pain when he was making the game, and who cares if your character didn't get in? The World didn't end or anything.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Speaking of pacifists with awful backgrounds...

Shulk watched the Mechon ravage Colony 9, watched Metal Face impale his childhood friend, saw the devastation caused by Mechon at Colony 6, watched Metal Face impale his new giant pal, watched Metal Face impale his new friend's father, watched as Metal Face, now revealed to be his friend's brother's cowardly war buddy, threatened to slit his childhood friend's throat... and despite all that, when he finally had the chance to kill him, he couldn't go through with it, and he stops his childhood friend's brother from killing him. He even warns Metal Face that he's about to be impaled by a spire as he tries to charge them a final time.

When Shulk battles Egil, the guy masterminding the Mechon invasion that killed hundreds, in person, he can't kill him. He watches Egil kill thousands of his countrymen in revenge and attempt to annihilate his homeland. And he ultimately still decides not to kill him.

Conclusion - depending on your POV, Shulk is either strongly guided by morals or a total idiot. You decide :4shulk:
To be fair on some of those points Shulk was entirely powerless so I'd say morals drove him.
He couldn't do a thing in Colony 9. The Monado was useless against Face Mechon at the time and he was on the ground possibly paralysed.
He didn't have a vision regarding the Giant getting speared by Metal Face for some reason. It was entirely out of the blue.
He couldn't do much as the Emperor got stabbed either. He was on the ground and the Monado wasn't in his hands though he could have gotten up in all fairness.
Metal Face pretty much said that if anyone approached he'd "Mess up her her" and "Put a hole in her neck" before Melia intervened
Shulk stopped Dunban because honestly Dunban wouldn't be any better than Metal Face if he killed him.
Shulk did say he'd carry on stopping Egil if he carried on. He'd also have contradicted himself if he'd killed Egil.

I'd honestly say he grew as a character throughout the game.

Doesn't stop him from hunting Armus and Bunnits for Materials though.
:awesome:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The Space Pirates are essentially Terrorists on a Galactic Scale and the clone Ridley is still of the same species as OG Ridley. If he escaped and indeed retained memories he could easily rejoin with the Pirates.
The only time she hesitated to kill was with the Baby Metroid. I want Metroid Dread (or a Fusion sequel) to come out with her being on the run from the Federation, some of which are her former comrades. It'd lead to better characterisation of Samus where she questions taking a human life or not and takes anon-lethal approach like Snake does.
Still, trying to do a genocide of an entire species isn't the most heroic thing to do, not even if said species is trying to conquer the universe. Also the story that " Clone-Ridley could join the Pirates again so it better eliminate it before that " it's like to say that we should exterminate all Germans/ Austrians because they could become Nazis again, since Hitler was one of them.
BTW Snake also faced terrorists who wanted to nuke the world, but still if he had to choose, he wouldn't kill any of them.

But maybe I'very been misunderstood. I didn'the wanted to sminuite Samus'sure heroism, or trying to show her and the FE Lords as monster without feels, but that Snake is more tender to regret his killing than those characters (probably also due of a better character script), which contradict whof thinks that Snake is just a merciless guy too obscure, dark and gore for being in Smash .

BTW I would also want to see something more about Samus herself in the Metroid games. She totally have potential to turn out as one of the best characters in the gaming history!

Last edited:
Still, trying to do a genocide of an entire species isn't the most heroic thing to do, not even if said species is trying to conquer the universe. Also the story that " Clone-Ridley could join the Pirates again so it better eliminate it before that " it's like to say that we should exterminate all Germans/ Austrians because they could become Nazis again, since Hitler was one of them.
BTW Snake also faced terrorists who wanted to nuke the world, but still if he had to choose, he wouldn't kill any of them.

But maybe I'very been misunderstood. I didn'the wanted to sminuite Samus'sure heroism, or trying to show her and the FE Lords as monster without feels, but that Snake is more tender to regret his killing than those characters (probably also due of a better character script), which contradict whof thinks that Snake is just a merciless guy too obscure, dark and gore for being in Smash .

BTW I would also want to see something more about Samus herself in the Metroid games. She totally have potential to turn out as one of the best characters in the gaming history!
:4samus: could have been a well written character because of her dark backstory, but...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The guy who tweeted the shovel knight rumor said that the snake and k rool tweets were speculation on his part. He is on smashboards and posted it in the Nintenzone thread.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The guy who tweeted the shovel knight rumor said that the snake and k rool tweets were speculation on his part. He is on smashboards and posted it in the Nintenzone thread.
Yep, all we know of for now is the speculation that Shovel Knight might make it in. He is apparently a ballot choice, so that leaves us with (possibly?) 1 or 2 more choices based off of what people are thinking. I'm still giving him the benefit of doubt, but we need to wait in the coming months if this is true or not.

Hopefully Snake was one of those choices.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Once again, I miss everything because of school. A friend Skyped me in class, telling me the Shovel Knight amiibo situation.

Hoo boy, I was worried. Now, not so much. I always miss all the fun! Character interpretations from games I love, rumor speculation, and above all a chance to crap on Other M some more. Seriously, literally my favorite thing ever is spouting off everything I love about Metroid prior to Other M, and everything I absolutely despise about Other M. I swear, if I was taking a college class about game design or something and had to describe everything a game gets wrong, it would be Other M so hard.

I think Shovel Knight getting an Amiibo is literally the coolest. I love Shovel Knight, and apparently Nintendo does too, the old school platforming love letter it is. Being a big supporter of indie titles, I'm ecstatic that Nintendo made him an Amiibo. I urge you guys to check it out if you haven't, it's wonderful.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
To be fair on some of those points Shulk was entirely powerless so I'd say morals drove him.
He couldn't do a thing in Colony 9. The Monado was useless against Face Mechon at the time and he was on the ground possibly paralysed.
He didn't have a vision regarding the Giant getting speared by Metal Face for some reason. It was entirely out of the blue.
He couldn't do much as the Emperor got stabbed either. He was on the ground and the Monado wasn't in his hands though he could have gotten up in all fairness.
Metal Face pretty much said that if anyone approached he'd "Mess up her her" and "Put a hole in her neck" before Melia intervened
Shulk stopped Dunban because honestly Dunban wouldn't be any better than Metal Face if he killed him.
Shulk did say he'd carry on stopping Egil if he carried on. He'd also have contradicted himself if he'd killed Egil.

I'd honestly say he grew as a character throughout the game.

Doesn't stop him from hunting Armus and Bunnits for Materials though.
:awesome:
I mentioned that stuff as background. He saw a lot of awful stuff being done by Metal Face and Egil, and yet he chose not to kill them when he had the chance. I'm not song he let Metal Face go after killing Fiora because he's a nice guy. :p

It still freaks me out that killing those brown hood guys and Chilkins is OK, even though they clearly have societies.

Tuxedo for alt, plz. Or shirtless. He can join Shulk in the pool :denzel:

The Soviet/American flag camouflage would be hilarious, but I doubt we'd get a politically charged reference like that in Smash. We'll have to settle for tacky leopard print.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Tuxedo for alt, plz. Or shirtless. He can join Shulk in the pool :denzel:

The Soviet/American flag camouflage would be hilarious, but I doubt we'd get a politically charged reference like that in Smash. We'll have to settle for tacky leopard print.

We do have this though.
Screw the fact it'saGolf reference

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Yep, all we know of for now is the speculation that Shovel Knight might make it in. He is apparently a ballot choice, so that leaves us with (possibly?) 1 or 2 more choices based off of what people are thinking. I'm still giving him the benefit of doubt, but we need to wait in the coming months if this is true or not.

Hopefully Snake was one of those choices.
I'm guessing that we might get at least 4 more characters as DLC. If you look at the DLC character pack #1, it contains the four characters that we have right now. Because a numbered DLC pack exists, I would say that getting 2 more characters is pretty much confirmed, but both bundles containing 4 characters would logically make sense.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I played some Project M today and I randomly rolled Snake when playing random. It was fun and all, but then I landed his forward air spike...

Good lord I've missed Snake.

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh, it's that guy from Unseen64. He was also the one saying that the NX will not be even remotely as powerful as a PS4, when some weeks later Square Enix said they are considering to port Dragon Quest XI and Final Fantasy XIV (which are, indeed, PS4 games).

Reading his leaks is like reading Patcher's analysis.

About Snake being serious, dark etc...wat!? Have this guy even tried to watch some MG source material?
He is calling "serious" a character that, after leaving all his weapon to Raiden, said to him "Don't worry, infinite anmo" while pointing to his bandana, breaking the 4th wall! And also the one who can wear without problems a crocodile and a chicken hat, while beliving in Santa Claus (yeah, that was BB, but still Snake in Smash is a mixture of both)! He is actually a lot less serious that Samus and the whole Fire Emblem roster! He even hates to kill other people (his reaction to the MGS4 trophy "You'really enjoying all the kills, that's it" proves it), while Marth, Ike, Robin , Samus etc have never regret a single kill the have done for their purposes.
Actually... the only Fire Emblem Lord that enjoys kill people is Hector.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since my last post got a pretty good response (at least, if likes are any indication), I thought I'd share my work in progress as far as Snake sprites go.

I still need to find a gun to replace Mega Man's cannon with, which is why those sprites still have the cannon on them. Once I've done that, I'm not sure whether I'll continue with Snake (at the very least, I want to have sprites of him wearing the cardboard box and moving around in it, as well as sprites of him kicking and rolling) or move on to another character.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
MFW I check my Twitter feed and it's mostly Kojima retweeting "V has come to." posts.

It's not helping the wait Kojima.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I was watching the launch trailer for MGS5 yesterday and after hearing Quiet's theme i thought to myself while i'm playing through the game it's probably going to be really sad and there will probably be some tears shed!

Also feel free to check out my thread support thread for Bayonetta! I know some of you guys may not like her but it's lead by one of the orginal FOXHOUNDERS himself! Thanks.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Check out this sexy custom 3DS theme

https://3dsthemes.com/Search/metal gear

I just found out about this site today. Apparently you can download custom user made 3ds themes. I don't know how it works, but I thought I should show this here. I don't think this will replace my official Snake Eater theme, but it does look very good for a user made theme.

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Snake, are you there? Snake, come in, can you hear me loud and clear? Snakke!!! I really would like to see solid snake in super smash bros again! I added him to my top 5 characters I want to see get added in super smash bros, as DLC characters! I will post here more often than not, so I can see what good status Snake has of winning the VOTE!

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

I just found out about this site today. Apparently you can download custom user made 3ds themes. I don't know how it works, but I thought I should show this here. I don't think this will replace my official Snake Eater theme, but it does look very good for a user made theme.
How. Do. You. Install. This. On. The. 3DS!?

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Just some ten hours ago, all was quiet on the Smash front and now the tides of a maelstrom are gestating in a wondrous way.

Shovel Knight amiibo is officially confirmed and now there's a Smash update scheduled for this upcoming Monday?

I can't type out how I feel about this, so I'll let the video speak for me. Note: there's no negative connotation, just sheer bewilderment at how fast everything is happening.

Warning! Attached video has some inappropriate language and a lewd painting from the film The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

That's very nice right there for a custom made 3DS theme. However, even if that were to be an official 3DS theme, it won't replace the Rosalina spinner theme I have on my 3DS. That one will always be irreplaceable unless another Rosalina based theme pops up on the menu.
There is maintenance for Smash Bros. on Monday.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

The day before Phantom Pain.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Well, I'm not gonna jump into conclusions and not think too much about this until after the maintenance ends.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I just have one thing to say... Solid snake for the win baby!!! I really can't wait to see what happens when they add Soldi snake to the Super smash bros DLC list. I have high hopes for him, and I expect Nintendo to make him playable! Keep up the good work on this thread!

Top Bottom