• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
This might be off topic, but how you guys rank the Metal Gear franchise through your personal preference?

From what i have played, here's mine:

7. Metal Gear
6. Metal Gear 2
5. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I haven't played Metal Gear Solid (only the small Shadow Moses segment in MGS4) ......to my ever lasting shame...
1. Snake Eater
2. Guns of the Patriots
3. Metal Gear Rising
4. Metal Gear
5. Metal Gear Solid
6. Peace Walker
7. Sons of Liberty
8. Ghost Babel

I haven't played Metal Gear 2 or Ground Zeroes yet.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think that they get better and better with every new entry, so:
Metal Gear<Metal Gear 2 <Metal Gear Solid <Metal Gear Solid 2 <Metal Gear Solid 3 <Metal Gear Solid 4=Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker <MGSV Ground Zeroes<MGSTPP.

This might be off topic, but how you guys rank the Metal Gear franchise through your personal preference?

From what i have played, here's mine:

7. Metal Gear
6. Metal Gear 2
5. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I haven't played Metal Gear Solid (only the small Shadow Moses segment in MGS4) ......to my ever lasting shame...
I only played the Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection... so yeah.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Phantom Pain on the U would be the worst thing to me. As someone who's played plenty of cross console games, opting for the U version has stung me every time with terrible framerate, input lag, gross textures, terrible draw distance, glitches, and ATROCIOUS load times. For something like the Phantom Pain on the U would be a train wreck, even if it was optimized. Just peek at the Wii U's specs. It's kinda baffling that it sold at all, aside from the plethora of amazing Nintendo (and a few Capcom) games on it. Considering Phantom Pain looks to be a greatly polished game, having a terrible U port (due to the U itself) would detract from all the success it's getting now. It's bad from a consumer and business perspective, no matter how you slice it. I myself am probably going to hold out on the Phantom Pain until I can upgrade my PC. I want the best this game has to offer.

Forgive my blunt honesty. Just got home from the first day of school here. Thank goodness it's my last year. You guys probably won't be seeing much of me.

1. MGS2
2. Peace Walker
3. MGS1
4. MGS3
5. MGS4
6. Metal Gear/MG2
7. Rising

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
That's tough. I like all of the Metal Gear games I've played for different reasons. If I had to make a list, it would probably look like this:

10. Metal Gear Snake's Revenge (the game is actually decent. Good soundtrack too)
9. Metal Gear 1 NES and MSX (I'm pretty neutral on them, I think they both have their merits)
8. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
7. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
6. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. Metal Gear Solid
4. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (first Metal Gear game I played)
3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Snake Eater 3D

I'm not putting Ground Zeroes on this list because I'm lumping MGS5 as a single game. Once I play The Phantom Pain, I'll have my full opinions for MGS5 as a whole.

Also, I can't believe I didn't play Rising yet! I love action games, but I just didn't get around to playing Rising. It might be partly because I always play Metal Gear games non-lethally when I can, and super violently hacking people apart in a Metal Gear spin off just feels wrong to me. Is it possible to do non-lethal runs of Rising?

Also, I'm thinking about buying a cartridge of Ghost Babel one day. I need more games for my Gameboy Color!

Last edited:

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
That's tough. I like all of the Metal Gear games I've played for different reasons. If I had to make a list, it would probably look like this:

9. Metal Gear Snake's Revenge (the game is actually decent. Good soundtrack too)
8. Metal Gear 1 NES and MSX (I'm pretty neutral on them, I think they both have their merits)
7. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
6. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. Metal Gear Solid
4. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (first Metal Gear game I played)
3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Snake Eater 3D

I'm not putting Ground Zeroes on this list because I'm lumping MGS5 as a single game. Once I play The Phantom Pain, I'll have my full opinions for MGS5 as a whole.

Also, I can't believe I didn't play Rising yet! I love action games, but I just didn't get around playing rising. It might be partly because I always play Metal Gear games non-lethally when I can, and super violently hacking people apart in a Metal Gear spin off just feels wrong to me. Is it possible to do non-lethal runs of Rising?
No, it's impossible to do non-lethal runs of Rising.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Phantom Pain on the U would be the worst thing to me. As someone who's played plenty of cross console games, opting for the U version has stung me every time with terrible framerate, input lag, gross textures, terrible draw distance, glitches, and ATROCIOUS load times. For something like the Phantom Pain on the U would be a train wreck, even if it was optimized. Just peek at the Wii U's specs. It's kinda baffling that it sold at all, aside from the plethora of amazing Nintendo (and a few Capcom) games on it. Considering Phantom Pain looks to be a greatly polished game, having a terrible U port (due to the U itself) would detract from all the success it's getting now. It's bad from a consumer and business perspective, no matter how you slice it. I myself am probably going to hold out on the Phantom Pain until I can upgrade my PC. I want the best this game has to offer.

Forgive my blunt honesty. Just got home from the first day of school here. Thank goodness it's my last year. You guys probably won't be seeing much of me.
If the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 could run Ground Zeroes and are getting Phantom Pain, i'm pretty sure the Wii U can run both. But eh, to each their own.

FeenieTheTrite said:
Also, I can't believe I didn't play Rising yet! I love action games, but I just didn't get around playing rising. It might be partly because I always play Metal Gear games non-lethally when I can, and super violently hacking people apart in a Metal Gear spin off just feels wrong to me. Is it possible to do non-lethal runs of Rising?
There are some stealth segments in the game and if you want to play stealth in an action hack n slash game, go for it (i do them and i enjoy them for what they are). There are many times where you have to slaughter enemies to progress though.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
If the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 could run Ground Zeroes and are getting Phantom Pain, i'm pretty sure the Wii U can run both. But eh, to each their own.
I'm just about the least confrontational person ever, but no, it couldn't. I won't press on this because I don't want to be "that dumb idiot" in the thread, but if you'd like to disagree why don't you go dig up some specs and compare them to the 360/PS3. The more you know. Also not meaning to put down your beliefs, that's all good. Respect and all that.

Disclaimer, the U is a great system.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm just about the least confrontational person ever, but no, it couldn't. I won't press on this because I don't want to be "that dumb idiot" in the thread, but if you'd like to disagree why don't you go dig up some specs and compare them to the 360/PS3. The more you know. Also not meaning to put down your beliefs, that's all good. Respect and all that.

Disclaimer, the U is a great system.
It's not just about specs that makes a game possible on a console. With a correct adaptation almost every game could run on any console. Ports like Tekken Tag 2 , Bayonetta and Sonic All Stars Racing show that with the right work any PS360 game can run smoothly on the U, so even MGSV. And it isn't just me who says this, but Hideki Kamiya himself once stated that developing on the Wii U isn't different from the PS360 consoles.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
It's not just about specs that makes a game possible on a console. With a correct adaptation almost every game could run on any console. Ports like Tekken Tag 2 , Bayonetta and Sonic All Stars Racing show that with the right work any PS360 game can run smoothly on the U, so even MGSV. And it isn't just me who says this, but Hideki Kamiya himself once stated that developing on the Wii U isn't different from the PS360 consoles.
You are correct to an extent, but again, it would most likely be a very scaled back port. I'm waiting to see how the game plays and feels on last gen consoles. Most likely, a bad draw distance and a lock on 30 frames per second and texture popin that was rife in Ground Zeroes for last gen. And to make matters worse, Phantom Pain is going to be a lot more detailed and bigger than GZ with dense jungles and sprawling deserts. Of course, it could be made to run on the U... But it would be terrible. As someone who is pretty educated in how things like computers and consoles function based on the parts inside them, I can't see Phantom Pain working on the U. It would be really choppy and a bad experience, and could even detract from ratings on the game as a whole. I'm assuming most review copies were played on high end PC's or a One/PS4.

I'm going to stop this here if you don't mind, I don't wanna bring a bunch of negativity into the thread. Disregard my ramblings, and stick to what you guys think I suppose. Sorry if I came off as rude or something, or hating on the Wii U. In my mind It's just facts that people aren't willing to accept for some reason, but it could be different in yours. Sorry guys. :[

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

I just thought of a great counter to the, "Snake doesn't fit in the game" argument.

Ever think about Samus on a Zelda stage? A space bounty hunter in a Medieval setting? How about Ike on Wario Ware's Gamer stage? That doesn't look very accurate either. How about ANYBODY on Pac-Land?

Nobody fits into the game aside from them being Nintendo characters. Are the graphics cartoony to make it look seemless? Yes, of course. Does that mean Snake can't work? Not at all.

How about Yoshi or Pikachu on Suzaku Castle?

Hows that for, "No, Snake fits just fine!"?

Even the characters we have don't fit within Smash!
Technically, this only expands on the pre-established counter of 'why is x fighting y', such as "why is a futuristic bounty hunter :4samus: fighting a genetically modified psychic creature :4mewtwo:", for instance. Do the themes fit? No. Does anyone care? Hardly, unless it's Snake, apparently. People wouldn't bat an eye if it turned out a formerly giant purple space dragon was fighting a blue robot, but sure, only Snake doesn't fit because muhbias.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
@ LightheartedBum LightheartedBum As someone who only has a Wii U and whose PC probably isn't good enough to run anything, I'll take something over nothing. :v But I'm personally used to subpar graphics after always playing Nintendo :denzel: so maybe those who have seen the light will be more disappointed than I. I'll just sit here sobbing into my 1st party games. Because that's all I have. *tear falls down cheek*

If they wanted to make it up to us Wii U owners by porting the earlier MGS games, though, I wouldn't be upset. Just sayin'. *waggles eyebrows*

I think I'm about halfway through MGS3 on Super Weenie Jut Jr. mode. Today I thought I'd stop using the EZ gun. It made stuff too easy! Gotta keep it real! 3 dead guards and 2 alerts later, I went back to the EZ gun. I'd rather sail through the game the first time than get frustrated trying to play it above my meagre skill level. Baby steps!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm also a wii u owner with a weak pc, and I'm not happy with the console really. I only play smash bros and stream netflix/videos on it, but I do use it a lot. Just for those things though.

On the Phantom Pain, it probably could run on wii u. The cpu isn't that great, though.
Time and time we've heard that the reason multiplats don't sell on wii u is because they are gimped. Yes it's true, they are gimped. But at the same time why should third parties take a gamble and put time and resources into a port that might not sell? Looking at exclusives like bayonetta and fatal frame, those didn't do too hot. I know vgchartz lists bayonetta high but apparently it was overtracked.
The people who do want phantom pain would probably buy it on another platform anyway, unless for some reason the wii u version ended up being superior. The few people like me would be buy it, but we're a minority.
Konami or any third party developer isn't going to waste resources on a platform that is different from the other consoles on the market and has a low install base. Especially at this point.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
7. Metal Gear
6. Metal Gear 2
5.Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2.Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
1.Metal Gear Solid

Didn't want to include the NES games since they aren't canon, also no Rising since it's radically different from the main series. Also no ground zeroes since it's not a full game in a sense. It is funny that I have basically enjoyed the series from the original and in a way each game never really matched it for me. So that's why my list is basically just release order. Really hope MGSV:TPP changes that.

Still a shame that it didn't come to WiiU considering it's on both 360 and PS3. Even would have accepted if they gamepad functionality would have been nothing more than the idroid menu. Not to mention that would help snakes chances more along with making other people quiet about the same item as to why he shouldn't be in smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think I've ever played a Metal Gear game. I've watched others play, though.

I think I will get Snake Eater on the 3DS when I have more money. I have wanted to play that for some time.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think I've ever played a Metal Gear game. I've watched others play, though.

I think I will get Snake Eater on the 3DS when I have more money. I have wanted to play that for some time.
I've always considered watching as playing. You're invested in the game and it has you interested, so that's good.

I updated the OP with a link to Snake's Brawl page. I'll go through and add those of you who have shown your support!

Last edited:

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
A random thought wormed itself into my mind a good five minutes ago -- what if MGSV (Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain bundled as one) was ported to the NX? It'd be fashionable for Snake to return to Smash at the last possible moment coinciding with MGSV NX, after a point in time where the console has been unveiled thoroughly and the bottom of the Smash DLC barrel has been reached. Naturally, this is all assuming the NX will be backwards compatible with the Wii U (which seems likely) or if the job postings for Smash Bros. 6 calls for a beefed up:4ryu: Super Ultra Hyper:4ryu: NX version of Smash Wii U.

If I don't make any sense whatsoever, my sincerest apologies. Today was the first day of the semester and this day annihilated me, rendering me to incapacitate into slumber in t-minus: three, two...

Bonus! Samples for MGSV's vocal tracks have been posted online, and holy moly me oh my are they lovely. Stefanie Joosten singing "Quiet's Theme" is my personal go-to of the bunch, although Donna Burke's cover of "Love Theme" is a very close second. How one can turn the original's grim, grey, and melancholic ambiance into a fiery, laid-back jazz piece is truly, truly awesome.
... one, zzz.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am going on vacation soon.

Got a bunch of 3DS games to play in the car!

New Super Mario Bros 2
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

And finally Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater.

How long is that game?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I am going on vacation soon.

Got a bunch of 3DS games to play in the car!

New Super Mario Bros 2
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

And finally Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater.

How long is that game?
Completing the story usually takes between 10 and 15 hours, at least for me.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Every MGS game can be beat in a few hours if you're sick awesome cool. 10+ if you're decent. Longer if not very good.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Every MGS game can be beat in a few hours if you're sick awesome cool. 10+ if you're decent. Longer if not very good.
I beaten Ground Zeroes in 24 minutes. How super awesome cool I am? :troll:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Kojima launch trailer for Phantom Pain has arrived:

The first 3 minutes are practically a love letter to the fans.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

Seeing this trailer pretty much has made it my goal to get through the rest of the MGS series. Quiet's theme is such an amazing piece, that combined with the trailer, it actually made me shed few tears, something that I've never done before for a trailer...

Besides that though, that new Metal Gear looks Amazing! The design is so cool, I hope it's a trophy that comes with Snake if he arrives to SSB4. Also Quiet's theme. We don't have enough dramatic songs, and calling to the night needs a buddy.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I just preordered The Phantom Pain last night, and man did that trailer just make me glad I did. I'm more excited than ever for this game. I still need to play through the rest of the franchise eventually... If only the PS4 were backwards compatible.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I actually cried watching that trailer.

It's because my sister was chopping onions for a roast, but I totally did.
They did that trailer so well. ;3; I'm so ready, I need this game right now. ;~;

@ LightheartedBum LightheartedBum
If they wanted to make it up to us Wii U owners by porting the earlier MGS games, though, I wouldn't be upset. Just sayin'. *waggles eyebrows*

I think I'm about halfway through MGS3 on Super Weenie Jut Jr. mode. Today I thought I'd stop using the EZ gun. It made stuff too easy! Gotta keep it real! 3 dead guards and 2 alerts later, I went back to the EZ gun. I'd rather sail through the game the first time than get frustrated trying to play it above my meagre skill level. Baby steps!
Agreed on that. Releasing the HD Collection and the originals on Wii U is something I'd love. x] Maybe get some of the Nintendo-Only crowd to change their opinion on Snake, and introduce an entire fanbase to his games.

Ahaha, Super Weenie Hut Jr. mode... My friend Leon recently got MGS3 (the original PS2 version) and he's having a blast going through it on easy. HIGHLY reccomend another play through whenever you feel like it after you're done.
Except do it on ...European Extreme. :chuckle: Keep us posted when you beat it! :D

I actually had to grab the laptop and retreat to another room to finish typing this. Jeez, onions suck.

@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A That picture made my girlfriends' day. She's a Samus main.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Releasing the HD Collection and the originals on Wii U is something I'd love. x]
MGS HD Collection redone for Wii U with The Twin Snakes added in would almost make me forgive Konami.

Well not really, but it would be amazing and they would have my money anyway.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
That trailer was absolutely beautiful and is basically a love letter from Kojima to all of the Metal Gear fans. I'm gonna get this game for the 360 (i don't have the PS4, nor the One and i have the PS3 Lite) and hopefully i can preorder it before next week. Long live Metal Gear.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman

Woah, the shivers are real. It's hard to believe that a series this beloved is ending! (The Solid series at least). I almost wish the wait would be a bit longer, but I guess it's better than the series getting milked to death. The series might be coming to a close, but it's legacy and impact on the industry is legendary.

Woah, the shivers are real. It's hard to believe that a series this beloved is ending! (The Solid series at least). I almost wish the wait would be a bit longer, but I guess it's better than the series getting milked to death. The series might be coming to a close, but it's legacy and impact on the industry is legendary.
I agree. This is why Snake should be in Smash, so he can go out in glory. Snake will always be loved by the gaming community, even 15 years by now, they will probably know his name. Yes, I did made an Xenoblade reference.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, we know Kojima is leaving over budget issues concerning The Phantom Pain and Silent Hills...

It's going to be ****ing funny if MGSV turns a huge profit and Konami starts begging Kojima to come back.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So, we know Kojima is leaving over budget issues concerning The Phantom Pain and Silent Hills...

It's going to be ****ing funny if MGSV turns a huge profit and Konami starts begging Kojima to come back.
And then we get a better reason to ask for Snake in Smash.

Huzzah.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

One of these days, I hope I get to play all of them Metal Gear Solid games. That trailer just sent chills right down my spine.

All the more reasons why Snake should make a return to Smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If Snake returns, there has to be a Conquest entitled "Baddest of the Bandanas".

:4myfriends: vs :4feroy: vs :4ryu: vs :snake:

Yeah, unlike a certain third party character who appeared in Brawl.

Top Bottom