• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, I beat the End. I almost Stamina killed him, but I really wanted to shoot him at least once. I did manage to shoot him, and that seems to have taken out the rest of his stamina because the boss fight ended there. Does this mean I won't get his nifty gun? If I had just let his stamina run out without doing anything, would that count as a stamina kill? I'm wondering if it's worth re-doing the boss fight to get his sniper rifle (I'm on Very Easy, for what it's worth).
There's a difference in what happens?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do other bosses do that?

I tranquilized Ocelot and killed The Pain.
The one you missed from The Pain stops bugs from attacking you, like spiders, leeches, and scorpions. It also makes it so shooting down bee nests makes them follow you and sting enemies.

Honestly not that useful, but it's entertaining.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How is the 3DS version of Metal Gear Solid 3? My brother hasn't played a Metal Gear game yet, and I'd like to get him interested in the series.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Theorycraft:

Sakurai and Kojima deliberately waited for the DLC period to reveal Snake, aware that the "Kept you waiting, huh?" bit would be perfect for this time.

He will be revealed in the middle of a totally unrelated character's trailer, say the line, fight with the initial character for a bit and both will be released after the trailer.

Ha, I wish~ ;w;

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Damn I wish I had a platform to play MGSV on. I've got the money to buy the game, but not the platform.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Can your PC not run it?
If you have the HD Collection then you should be able to get a last gen version of MGS V.
I have ground zeroes and it runs at like 15fps(which actually felt pretty smooth.)
Do you have a last gen console? The Phantom Pain is gonna be on those two as well. I'm getting the game for the 360.
No, only last gen console I own is a Wii.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
How is the 3DS version of Metal Gear Solid 3? My brother hasn't played a Metal Gear game yet, and I'd like to get him interested in the series.
As someone who played the PS2 version (Subsistence), I think the 3ds version is pretty good. It's got some framerate issues, but it's still playable (similarly to the original PS2 version). The updated graphics look pretty nice, especially in the cutscenes. It's arguably the best looking MGS3. Along with improved controls (especially with the circle pad pro or N3DS), easier menus with the touchscreen, and some added gameplay features, the 3DS version is the version I go back to for new playthroughs. Though the game did loose some of the bonus content from the Subsistence edition, it's insane how a game that big fit on a 4gb cartridge alone!

It's definitely the most unique version of Snake Eater in the market. It's probably not the best version in most people's minds, but I think the positive outweighs the negative. If it had an improved framerate, I think it would be the best version.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-can-last-gen-consoles-handle-mgs5

Interesting read. Maybe the wii u might have had the same problems if MGSV was on it.
Yeah, a Wii U version would have probably suffered of these problems, but still it would have worked, since it works on the last gen console. Although similar port would have been extremely expensive (since a regular port would have been impossible, considering the hardware differences between Playstations/XBOXs and Wii U) in an already over-budget game. I don't blame Konami for haven't done it. I still hope to have something like a MGSV Subsistence on NX, though.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I came up with some costume ideas for Snake if he returns as DLC:
Brawl
MGS1/ Twin Snakes
Naked Snake
MGS Peace Walker
Old Snake (MGS4)
Only thing I'd add is a Liquid Snake alt. Otherwise that's perfect.

So if someone get TTP for PS3, please tell how it runs. If it feels good, I might buy it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Only thing I'd add is a Liquid Snake alt. Otherwise that's perfect.

So if someone get TTP for PS3, please tell how it runs. If it feels good, I might buy it.
The article I posted might give a good idea how it would run.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Still, I'm going to get it on PS3, so I will also tell you how it is.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a Wii U version would have probably suffered of these problems, but still it would have worked, since it works on the last gen console. Although similar port would have been extremely expensive (since a regular port would have been impossible, considering the hardware differences between Playstations/XBOXs and Wii U) in an already over-budget game. I don't blame Konami for haven't done it. I still hope to have something like a MGSV Subsistence on NX, though.
Since the MGS series is ending, Konami can, in theory, focus on milking it by producing ports and re-releases, right? Because there are older, less console-destroying MGS games they can bring to Nintendo consoles. They could re-release the Twin Snakes so it's not stuck on the GC. There's no MGS2 on a Nintendo console. I don't understand the MGS timeline or series in general, so I don't know about those side games that may or may not be canon, but why not bring them over anyway? It's not like there's new games to focus on, and porting old games should be easy money. I guess fans would demand new features and maybe updates or whatever, but I'd be fine with a straight port.

By the by, I bought Twin Snakes. Literally the only other MGS game on a Nintendo console, lololol. I hadn't seen it at a decent price for such an old game ($55+ everywhere, that's like Pikmin 3 prices. speaking of which, also ridiculous) until I bit the bullet and bought one that was just the discs but significantly cheaper. I'd like to have the box, but you know someone's gonna put the box up on ebay eventually hoping to fool people into buying it. Until then, it can stay in some old DVD box. It hasn't even arrived yet, ha ha.

Is MGS3 the only one that takes place outside and focuses on survival and the like? I saw some (extraordinarily awful) LPs of MGS1 and 2, and they take place inside military facilities with no stamina bar, so I suppose that's not in those.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Also I have a few new song ideas:
Red Alert (Metal Gear)
Metal Gear Solid main theme (MGS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Main theme
Peace Walker main theme
It Has to Be This Way (instrumental)
Rules of Nature (Instrumental)
Stains of Time

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Also I have a few new song ideas:
Red Alert (Metal Gear)
Metal Gear Solid main theme (MGS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Main theme
Peace Walker main theme
It Has to Be This Way (instrumental)
Rules of Nature (Instrumental)
Stains of Time
Quiet's theme would be cool if sins of the father can't be added.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Since the MGS series is ending, Konami can, in theory, focus on milking it by producing ports and re-releases, right? Because there are older, less console-destroying MGS games they can bring to Nintendo consoles. They could re-release the Twin Snakes so it's not stuck on the GC. There's no MGS2 on a Nintendo console. I don't understand the MGS timeline or series in general, so I don't know about those side games that may or may not be canon, but why not bring them over anyway? It's not like there's new games to focus on, and porting old games should be easy money. I guess fans would demand new features and maybe updates or whatever, but I'd be fine with a straight port.

By the by, I bought Twin Snakes. Literally the only other MGS game on a Nintendo console, lololol. I hadn't seen it at a decent price for such an old game ($55+ everywhere, that's like Pikmin 3 prices. speaking of which, also ridiculous) until I bit the bullet and bought one that was just the discs but significantly cheaper. I'd like to have the box, but you know someone's gonna put the box up on ebay eventually hoping to fool people into buying it. Until then, it can stay in some old DVD box. It hasn't even arrived yet, ha ha.

Is MGS3 the only one that takes place outside and focuses on survival and the like? I saw some (extraordinarily awful) LPs of MGS1 and 2, and they take place inside military facilities with no stamina bar, so I suppose that's not in those.
MGS4, Peace Walker, MGS4, and the upcoming Phantom Pain have more of a focus on larger outdoor areas, but MGS3 is the only Metal Gear game to feature surgery, hunting, eating (rations function as life recover in other MGS games), and stamina as vital gameplay features (portable ops sort-of had stamina, but it worked much differently and was less about Snake's survival).

As for what future ports for MGS games, I had a weird dream a few nights ago that I was playing The Phantom Pain on my 3ds. The controls functioned like a fusion between MGS3D and Ground Zeroes. Aiming also felt more like MGS3D rather than Ground Zeroes. Too bad that if the game was ported to the 3ds, it would be running at a silky smooth -60fps.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
MGS4, Peace Walker, MGS4, and the upcoming Phantom Pain have more of a focus on larger outdoor areas, but MGS3 is the only Metal Gear game to feature surgery, hunting, eating (rations function as life recover in other MGS games), and stamina as vital gameplay features (portable ops sort-of had stamina, but it worked much differently and was less about Snake's survival).
That's kind of a shame because I actually really love all those things you mentioned. I also saw no camo index in the MGS1/2 LPs I saw, so I'm guessing that's not as important either? Or it just works differently as opposed to a percentage.

I suppose you're all familiar with DSP's MGS playthroughs? It's honestly the most curious thing. I watched a compilation that was basically the worst moments and I'm just so confused as to why he tries to shoot everyone. Is he unaware walking slowly is a thing? Why does he hate reading the menus? Why does he always blame the controls? Gotta admit, it's both entertaining and crazy frustrating.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
That's kind of a shame because I actually really love all those things you mentioned. I also saw no camo index in the MGS1/2 LPs I saw, so I'm guessing that's not as important either? Or it just works differently as opposed to a percentage.

I suppose you're all familiar with DSP's MGS playthroughs? It's honestly the most curious thing. I watched a compilation that was basically the worst moments and I'm just so confused as to why he tries to shoot everyone. Is he unaware walking slowly is a thing? Why does he hate reading the menus? Why does he always blame the controls? Gotta admit, it's both entertaining and crazy frustrating.
DSP? Never thought I'd hear about this guy on Smashboards. His "LPs" of the Metal Gear games were a complete laughing stock. He actually complained about the game not warning the player about quicksand in MGS3, I first played that level when I was 11 years old, got through that no problem.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer

MGS4 had some emphasis on the stamina bar still too.

And welcome to DSP. He's infamous for being completely incompetent in every game he plays.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
DSP? Never thought I'd hear about this guy on Smashboards. His "LPs" of the Metal Gear games were a complete laughing stock. He actually complained about the game not warning the player about quicksand in MGS3, I first played that level when I was 11 years old, got through that no problem.
My favorite part is "why can't I run and gun?", with second place going to "the controls suck!" Iconic.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
MGS4 had some emphasis on the stamina bar still too.
The bosses still had the standard stamina bar, but Snake's stamina bar was replaced by the psyche meter, which affected Snake similarly to the stamina bar, but it drained and refilled differently then the stamina bar. But yeah, it's pretty much just a slight variation on the stamina bar with a different name.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
The bosses still had the standard stamina bar, but Snake's stamina bar was replaced by the psyche meter, which affected Snake similarly to the stamina bar, but it drained and refilled differently then the stamina bar. But yeah, it's pretty much just a slight variation on the stamina bar with a different name.
Might've had problems with my psyche in MGS4 - Act 2 when I decided to gun all the soldiers down the entire act lol.

Luckily, there is peace inside the cardboard box (and barrel...rolls).

Wouldn't be suprised if we got Big Boss this iteration of Smash with a Solid Alt (unless they just refer to him as "Snake") MGS5 is up and Keifer DID say he voiced a fighting game...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
M

Wouldn't be suprised if we got Big Boss this iteration of Smash with a Solid Alt (unless they just refer to him as "Snake") MGS5 is up and Keifer DID say he voiced a fighting game...
I think it's been far too long for that keifer thing to hold any weight.
They wouldn't spend that much money for a VA.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Keither said he was working on Mortal Kombat from what I've gathered from a quick google search but then Boon denied it was happening so Keither actually wasn't working on a fighting game.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
In all honesty, Keither Sutherland is great as Big Boss, so if he voiced Snake here, i wouldn't mind. But this is Solid Snake so......yeah David Hayter has to voice him.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I chalk it up as drunken Keifer confusion. He probably doesn't know what Smash is but knows it was a fighting game because it is more known to the overall masses (due to controversy).

This has made me think that when Snake wasn't in the initial release he would still get in the game closer to the release of MGS5...

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Though I'd rather have David Hayter as Snake, everyone knows that Hayter IS Snake
Honestly, I totally agree with you and was not a fan of how the Hayter thing went down. We can't change that - and if Konami was moving forward with the promotion of MGS5 by having Snake apperaing in Smash, Keifer unfortunately makes more sense.

Top Bottom