• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
I am mixed on Pokémon Scarlet.

On one hand It has really great writing compared to Shield, enjoyed the characters from Paldea waaaaaay more than Galar's, the main plot actually had serious stakes with the guy's dog Pokémon needing to be cured and the region's professor being dead. It was also fun to explore around and catch+fight the Pokémon in real time.

... On the other hand, I was VERY dissapointed about how they made a region based on Spain and royally skipped on doing anything with the Canary Islands. You know, the place I live in. I feel they would have been great for DLC due to the rich natural and urban diversity we have.
Not to mention all the bugs which ranged from silly to almost unpleasant to deal with.

So yeah, overall I am 😃with the story, Gameplay and characters... But also extremely 🙃 about the Canary Islands thing and the bugs.
On the topic of Scarlet, here's something I at least find kinda cool to share:
Screenshot_2024-02-28-18-55-05-91_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-28-18-53-02-70_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Every Pokémon game starts with the player on their bedroom and alongside a map of their region, so when Pokémon Scarlet arrived to my local videogame store I knew I had to pick up the poster of Paldea because It is inspired in Spain and that is as of now the country my Islands are part of.

Again, it's kinda bittersweet because It is a childhood dream to see "my country" represented in the world of Pokémon... But without the very own place you live in. But still, thought It would be neat to have featured.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Comparing any Pokemon story to SwSh is a hydrogen bomb versus a coughing baby
Deadass

Pokémon doesn't need a great story, it's just a framing device for a fun adventure. Sometimes that story is a pleasant and welcome surprise, like in Black and White, Sun and Moon, Scarlet and Violet, and arguably Legends Arceus, but the bar is generally pretty low.

SwSh somehow managed to go under that extremely low bar and it's almost impressive

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Deadass

Pokémon doesn't need a great story, it's just a framing device for a fun adventure. Sometimes that story is a pleasant and welcome surprise, like in Black and White, Sun and Moon, Scarlet and Violet, and arguably Legends Arceus, but the bar is generally pretty low.

SwSh somehow managed to go under that extremely low bar and it's almost impressive
I legit wish they didn't make Rose evil, I thought learning about Galar's lore was a fine plot but then it gets tossed because oh no Rose is evil now and started the rapture.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Gen 6 stans coming out if hiding is a pretty funny sight. Gamefreak fr said "your time is NOW" and then they rose from the ashes
I grew up on the og games but I was super young then. So my first real experience where I was old enough to be apart of was ORAS.

I was really looking forward to XY and then it was just eh. I’ll give Kalos this though, region is nicely designed and it gave us some of the best Pokémon designs in recent history.

Plus friend safaris were a lot of fun and it had the best online hub.

So I’m really excited for legends as there is so much potential for this region.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I legit wish they didn't make Rose evil, I thought learning about Galar's lore was a fine plot but then it gets tossed because oh no Rose is evil now and started the rapture.
I'm gonna throw my unpopular opinion out there

I found Sordward and Shielbert more enjoyable than Rose. I really mean that. They're lame ass villains for sure, but their lame ass designs, fruity personalities, and corny dialogue that feels like it's written for a Saturday morning cartoon villain loop back around to being absolutely hilarious to me. And if nothing else, their motivations actually make sense as opposed to Rose and they are somehow smarter than him with their actions. That last part is insane to me because I just realized it

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
POV: Legends Z-A lets you play as Zygarde complete using the syncro machine for the final battle:
IMG_9948.jpeg

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm gonna throw my unpopular opinion out there

I found Sordward and Shielbert more enjoyable than Rose. I really mean that. They're lame ass villains for sure, but their lame ass designs, fruity personalities, and corny dialogue that feels like it's written for a Saturday morning cartoon villain loop back around to being absolutely hilarious to me. And if nothing else, their motivations actually make sense as opposed to Rose and they are somehow smarter than him with their actions. That last part is insane to me because I just realized that
At least they accomplish what their characters are meant to be. They’re supposed to be annoying and kinda dumb, and that’s exactly what they are.

Rose’s character was clearly trying to say something but it didn’t work out.

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™
I think Scarlets biggest problem was the launch day bugs tbh, combined with a bit of bad game design with how the world map didn't lend itself well to being able to explore anywhere you wanted and deal with the consequences when it felt like the game handholded you as far away from challenging yourself as possible by stuffing all the difficult stuff on the top half of the map and all the easy stuff on the bottom half(where you start out)

it could have easily been a 10/10 pokemon game but its kinda a middling 6/10, maybe 7/10 if you ignore the rampant bugs. it still was a fun experience overall but you could tell the game needed a few years of polish and QC to fully realize the ideas they were going for

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Rose: Leon, the world will be facing a terrible energy crisis in one thousand years. What shall we do?
Leon: Yo I'm focused on the tournament rn, let's talk tomorrow about it.
Rose:
View attachment 385644
My favorite part of SwSh was when I was about to start my championship match with Leon and then Rose was like
artworks-000695544001-dqe88a-t500x500.jpg

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Turtlemania month has been really good between the Fortnite event, the reveals of the new games, Mutant Mayhem dropping on streaming services such as Paramount+ or Skyshowtime and more, but this does truly feel like a cherry on top to cap It all off:

I'm sure Noipoi Noipoi and TMNTSSB4 TMNTSSB4 will be happy about these news.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Whenever I see a Smash roster-related thing my first thought is almost always this
View attachment 385648
Be the change you wish to see. Learn how to make a custom character for Project M, program and animate a Smash moveset for Viridi, and bam! Her chances have skyrocketed!

No but seriously, PMEX Remix is the closest you can get to actually playing one of those fake massive Smash rosters, but they're kind of limited based on which characters already have complete Smash movesets programmed and animated for them, both official and fanmade. And the fanmade ones have to not suck to be added.

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Be the change you wish to see. Learn how to make a custom character for Project M, program and animate a Smash moveset for Viridi, and bam! Her chances have skyrocketed!

No but seriously, PMEX Remix is the closest you can get to actually playing one of those fake massive Smash rosters, but they're kind of limited based on which characters already have complete Smash movesets programmed and animated for them, both official and fanmade. And the fanmade ones have to not suck to be added.
Hopefully the PMEX team does enjoy my idea for Pauline's moveset.

I was thinking of making her some sort of mix between Peach/Daisy and Olimar: she would use her items from the DK arcade Game as charged Smash attacks (the umbrella, a Cappyfied version of her hat and the purse. Umbrella would be down Smash with her spinning on It, the cappy would be the Up Smash and the purse the side Smash) and then for the specials she would use the Minis and Jigglypuff's down B. The up special would be Mini DK Who throws her to the air and then has her use her umbrella to float, the side special would alternate between mini Mario with a Hammer, mini Peach using a version of Peach's side b and Mini Luigi with a poltergust grab and throw.

Finally, her final Smash would be a recreation of the ending of the DK arcade Game, with the Mini Marios breaking the platforms and 8-Bit DK falling down onto the opponent.

Shroob

Sup?
Lydandre was a bad villain for all the wrong reasons.

In a setting like Black/White, where the tone of the setting was more mature, he probably would have worked.

But being set in Kalos with the HON HON HON, and the goofy ahhh evil team, and the waxing philosophical to a literal 10 year old is like, nah

Jondolio

Smash Hero

In a setting like Black/White, where the tone of the setting was more mature, he probably would have worked.

But being set in Kalos with the HON HON HON, and the goofy ahhh evil team, and the waxing philosophical to a literal 10 year old is like, nah
I couldn't really read English that well back when I first played Y but I didn't need to in order to know he was a villain, so it's extra funny to me now that I know what's going on and that they try to pretend like it's a surprise when this is how he talks

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
See I can’t fully support that because I NEED to be able to explore the islands. I’m talking free roam surfing in between each island. **** sounds like a dream.

Now if you can jump from the islands to Ultra Space and explore the other dimensions too, I’m down.
I don’t see this replacing a legends alola game. I want it to be a separate thing.

Noipoi

Howdy!

IMG_8360.jpeg

Still his best moment

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Another day, another company announcing layoffs.

This time its EA, about 670 employees will be let go.

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, Square Enix is having an official livestream counting down to the release of FFVII Rebirth and freaking Kenny Omega is playing through the game with the voice actors of Aerith, Barret and Tifa.

Screenshot_2024-02-28-21-24-46-36_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
Another day, another company announcing layoffs.

This time its EA, about 670 employees will be let go.
Honestly, EA's choices hasn't been great as they were known for microtransactions in games (from what I remember). I hope it gives them a chance to fix their management. The games I grew up with EA was the Command & Conquer series.

Top Bottom