• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So guys, the team is currently deciding which character to release next, and we'd like to get some feedback from our fans and followers as well. The following link leads to a poll that has characters that are just about ready for either release or an update.

Cast your vote here ---> http://strawpoll.me/2223385

This also might become a standard in the near future for whenever we are deciding on who to release first, but we'll see. For now, we want to know what you think.
I am assuming Ridley means R.O.B.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I said Ridley because the Boss character textures are bound to look incredible... assuming they're being done and that wasn't just a joke, lol.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Dual release today, Ice Climbers and King Dedede!

These renders were both done by our new team member Tailsmiles249, as well as this extra costume:

You can expect more from him in the future!

I said Ridley because the Boss character textures are bound to look incredible... assuming they're being done and that wasn't just a joke, lol.
This may or may not be a joke.

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
And here's the "Unbreakable Bond" Ice Climbers wallpaper as an added bonus!

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I know I've said this already, but it's amazing to see just how much better these characters look with texture and lighting adjustments (amongst a lot of other details) :D

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975

It's looks nice with the new textures. But it really needs Smash4-esque eyes, Dedede looks inside my soul.

Ice Climbers are amazing too.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Those looks so nice! I'm really excited to see how Samus, Roy, Ike and Bowser turn out with their updated models and what not. You guys seriously set the bar when it comes to this stuff.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice

It's looks nice with the new textures. But it really needs Smash4-esque eyes, Dedede looks inside my soul.

Ice Climbers are amazing too.
Trust me, when I was doing the render I was thinking the exact same thing. Plus there's the mouth that has more movement (like smiling) in Smash 4 but can't in Brawl. I admit the eye highlights are in the wrong spot in the render. That doesn't change the fact the irises aren't thinner and the highlights aren't smaller. Maybe in the future we can at least update the eyes.

Last edited:

McMilla1228

Smash Cadet
I know this won't be until way down the road, but is there a chance of us getting a Smash 3 Doc?

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
Yea I dunno about this DeDeDe. The bright colors are great but I think I saw maybe an early model of DeDeDe with more rim lighting on BrawlVault that I liked more where the eyes weren't as weird. I think generally rim lighting is great on these models, but I understand that it only really works with certain textures or else everything looks too shiny.

Also, the location of the shading aspects on both DeDeDe and Ice Climbers's coats look weird, especially towards the bottom of the back of the coats. They kind of look like butt sweat when your exercising too hard through some thin pants (which maybe that's what happening lol.) I dunno if there just re-colored or what, but when you go back over the models to fix the eyes, you should give that a look too. It's one of those things you can't unsee once you've seen it, but the models are fine as a first version for now.

Really looking forward to the new Bowser and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Yea I dunno about this DeDeDe. The bright colors are great but I think I saw maybe an early model of DeDeDe with more rim lighting on BrawlVault that I liked more where the eyes weren't as weird. I think generally rim lighting is great on these models, but I understand that it only really works with certain textures or else everything looks too shiny.

I'll respond to this part.

As one of the team's rimlighter, I focus in giving the exact same rimlight to all the characters with no exceptions. The default rimlight is way too bright and many, many dislike the said appearance. And even our different rimlighting makes our characters plastic looking still, it feels "unnatural" sometimes, changing those appearance will force us to apply it to the rest, making those feel unnatural.

See the pattern? Consistency... is painful.

That is why our Captn' is currently experimenting with more subtle rimlight textures, where the textures are accentuated, not the model itself.

Taiko

Smash Ace

Also, the location of the shading aspects on both DeDeDe and Ice Climbers's coats look weird, especially towards the bottom of the back of the coats. They kind of look like butt sweat when your exercising too hard through some thin pants (which maybe that's what happening lol.) I dunno if there just re-colored or what, but when you go back over the models to fix the eyes, you should give that a look too. It's one of those things you can't unsee once you've seen it, but the models are fine as a first version for now.

Really looking forward to the new Bowser and Mewtwo.
Thanks for the critiques. We'll see about updating them along the road, but for now they'll stay as the "first version" like you said.

As for the rim lighting, we plan on updating that soon. It's been getting to me that it sometimes looks too shiny like you said, so I'm messing with it to be less..."obvious"

It took me a minute to realise you weren't asking for a smash 3 documentary.
Smash 3 Documentary: People in front of computers making things.

Super-Smasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
awesomesauce425
3DS FC
4699-5514-7129
This is a great project. Keep it up!

I have a problem though. The HUD hasn't changed. I'm playing Project M with this.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
ICs look absolutely perfect. Awesome.

Dedede looks good, but his beak kinda bothers me for some reason. Maybe it should be a little bit shinier, or something.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
So I've been doing some work with my Brawl-inspired Marth model. He's gone from looking like this:

To this:

If you can't see the differences, Marth's armor textures have been re-edited to better match the official Smash 3 character's direction of textures, where a base color has layers of lighting and shadows overlaid on top, where as my initial attempt was using the Brawl's armor texture with Smash 3's details, which didn't mesh well. The amor now also has "shiny" materials now, so light is reflected just like Smash 3 Roy's armor (who I used as a reference once again).

EDIT: I almost forgot the third major update to this model; a HUGE thank you to Edel for taking my old model and adjusting the rim lighting to that of the official Smash 3 characters, he now looks consistent standing alongside everyone else. Here's a comparison shot of the updated Marth next to Smash 3's Roy:

If you like what you've seen, I've provided a link to the updated model with recolors below (the previous Dropbox link to the old model doesn't work anymore by the way). I will continue to do updates when I make another breakthrough like this (i.e. the Purple and White recolors could use some more work) Also, these are NOT official Smash 3 textures, they're just fan-inspired textures that I made for fun and wanted to share.

Hope you guys enjoy!
EDIT: New link to download because Google can't get it's act together:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j953i4x1mwafq5r/Smash 3-Like Marth (Brawl Model).zip

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
So I've been doing some work with my Brawl-inspired Marth model. He's gone from looking like this:

To this:

If you can't see the differences, Marth's armor textures have been re-edited to better match the official Smash 3 character's direction of textures, where a base color has layers of lighting and shadows overlaid on top, where as my initial attempt was using the Brawl's armor texture with Smash 3's details, which didn't mesh well. The amor now also has "shiny" materials now, so light is reflected just like Smash 3 Roy's armor (who I used as a reference once again).

EDIT: I almost forgot the third major update to this model; a HUGE thank you to Edel for taking my old model and adjusting the rim lighting to that of the official Smash 3 characters, he now looks consistent standing alongside everyone else. Here's a comparison shot of the updated Marth next to Smash 3's Roy:

If you like what you've seen, I've provided a link to the updated model with recolors below (the previous Dropbox link to the old model doesn't work anymore by the way). I will continue to do updates when I make another breakthrough like this (i.e. the Purple and White recolors could use some more work) Also, these are NOT official Smash 3 textures, they're just fan-inspired textures that I made for fun and wanted to share.

Hope you guys enjoy!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz3q-RW9mLs5WVlIZ3J0YzdRenM/edit
This looks pretty great! I'd like to download it and check it out, but it seems the file isn't public.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
This looks pretty great! I'd like to download it and check it out, but it seems the file isn't public.
Thanks for making me aware of that. The link is now updated to be public, so you should be able to download it now. Hopefully you think it's just as great as it looks :D

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
EDIT: I almost forgot the third major update to this model; a HUGE thank you to Edel for taking my old model and adjusting the rim lighting to that of the official Smash 3 characters, he now looks consistent standing alongside everyone else. Here's a comparison shot of the updated Marth next to Smash 3's Roy.
You're welcome. Always glad to help out fellow modders!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
This looks great. I'd download it, but the link says the file doesn't exist. Things like this encourage me to give texturing a try myself.

I've got a question for the team that I thought of while looking through the Pack's readme... aside from Shadow Dragon Marth, the new Sanic and P:M's alt costumes, are you guys planning on including any alternate/updated models in the long run? Characters like Samus and Link would be awesome to have different renditions of, especially considering the selection of modelers you guys have at your disposal.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
This looks great. I'd download it, but the link says the file doesn't exist. Things like this encourage me to give texturing a try myself.
I'm sorry you weren't able to download the textures earlier. I've posted a new link in place of the old one, and I'm sure it will work, so I hope you'll still want to check it out :)

Taiko

Smash Ace

I've got a question for the team that I thought of while looking through the Pack's readme... aside from Shadow Dragon Marth, the new Sanic and P:M's alt costumes, are you guys planning on including any alternate/updated models in the long run? Characters like Samus and Link would be awesome to have different renditions of, especially considering the selection of modelers you guys have at your disposal.
Too bad none of them can keep Sonic's model lagless
The plan is to update the parts that are updated, so if Sonic gets released an alt that adds a hat for example, we'd add that hat to the updated model. Or, that's the plan anyway.

Also, fans of Mewtwo should check our Tumblr. There may or may not be goodies there.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Too bad none of them can keep Sonic's model lagless
The plan is to update the parts that are updated, so if Sonic gets released an alt that adds a hat for example, we'd add that hat to the updated model. Or, that's the plan anyway.

Also, fans of Mewtwo should check our Tumblr. There may or may not be goodies there.
Works for me!

:awesome: Looks awesome.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I can now confirm that the reason Smash 3 Previews and Updates take awhile to happen is because Taiko refuses to release them until he's thought of a clever subtitle for the thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom