• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
My last post accidentally spoiled something, could not removed it, so I decided to convert it into a spam. I am aware of the rules and such. I am a gentleman however, so I apologize.

DIO priority is always important you know.
Okay, see? This post was lag, unintentional. I wanted to edit, but it posted instead. I don't get this posting system...

I get a white screen, and if I refresh it post the edit instead of keeping it one.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I've seen a few people post a few of their own custom Smash 3-inspired textures, so I felt like sharing one of mine as well. While I have no problems with the Shadow Dragon model used for Marth, I stumbled upon an Isaac vertex edit that looked amazing when combined with the Brawl Marth model. While I was in love with the model, I did not want it to use the Brawl textures. Luckily, by using your Marth source PSDs (and one of Roy's PSDs), Mewtwo2000's Rim Marth model, and the Isaac model's vertices, I made a Smash 3-like Marth more akin to his original Brawl appearance, but with his boots shaped like the ones he had in Melee.

I know it's not exactly perfect; the rim lighting on him makes him look a bit too shiny compared to the official Smash 3 characters, the armor lacks the reflective material that other characters use, and I also ended up using Roy's tunic details, as getting the originals from Marth's tunic weren't turning out that well. Still, I'm happy with how it turned out, what do you guys think?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
That actually pretty good. Sure the details could use a bit more etching, but it's a nice work of texture and vertex magic. I do see the main problem as being the rim lighting, which tends to give everything a slightly slimy appearance when not in check.
Not that it's always a bad thing, as in some situations varied light and reflections makes a nice watery effect.
If It's alright with the team, would you mind posting the appropriate rim lighting needed to make something consistent?

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Classic Show Time!

As some already know, this is the old Bowser from the old S3 perspective. He's unofficial, and yet he's smash 3 material, all interfaces and menu stuff included.

As any other entry we have DLC's...

And a Wallpaper...

And another...

And a render!

And this:

Im so happy that I...

...Wanna help you! I would like to give your Marth the same official rimlighting we give to our smash 3 models!

OH and...

THANKS YOU! Kurukato87 for helping out!

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Almost there so you can get those .psds...

Since I see Bowser... Will Giga Be done as well?
Lets just say he IS done... however, Giga Bowser is actually official Giga Bowser even with the perspective change. He will only be uploaded, with recolors, and dlc recolors along with the official S3 Bowser.

EDIT, pictures of them should be up soon.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Im so happy that I...

...Wanna help you! I would like to give your Marth the same official rimlighting we give to our smash 3 models!
Wow, not only did we get more awesome textures, but I also caught the attention of the Smash 3 team in a good way? That's amazing news! If you just need the source Marth file I used (I have made recolors if you would like them as well), here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j953i4x1mwafq5r/Smash 3-Like Marth (Brawl Model).zip

Thank you so much in advance for your help; I'll definitely make sure that your work gets shared; looks like I'm going to need to make a Brawl Vault account :D

EDIT: Old perspective or not, these Bowser textures look great in-game!

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Wow, not only did we get more awesome textures, but I also caught the attention of the Smash 3 team in a good way? That's amazing news! If you just need the source Marth file I used (I have made recolors if you would like them as well), here's the link:

Thank you so much in advance for your help; I'll definitely make sure that your work gets shared; looks like I'm going to need to make a Brawl Vault account :D

If it's perfectly fine with you could I download the Marth and check it out?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Keep going for the .psds

Such a process takesa while to do. I'll work with it non the less.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
If it's perfectly fine with you could I download the Marth and check it out?
You're more than welcome to download it (that also goes for anyone else who is interested); I also updated the link to include all the recolors I made as well.

Such a process takesa while to do. I'll work with it non the less.
I'm completely fine with waiting, and again I really appreciate that you found my project worth working on, regardless of when you have the time for it :D

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Added some source .psd on the post above.

I'm completely fine with waiting, and again I really appreciate that you found my project worth working on, regardless of when you have the time for it :D
Sorry it took so long, I'm finished. I also fixed some graphical glitches rimlight caused while I was tweaking it. Good job so far, but to make something truthfully smash 3, everything must be hand made again, even stuff you don't think it would need to be touched.... the minor details.

I'll PM you the stuff.

However, there are some distinguishing details that smash 3 does that you nailed with excellence, good job! Now, you have to apply it to those details.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Quick question to anyone who can answer it, how do you guys make CSP's for recolors? Do you just make a model pose in BrawlBox and apply it to the recolor, or do you use some other method? And if you do use the first method are there any tips on posing the model to make it look less stiff?

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
You're right on the first part: Just make a pose and save it. It's recommended to do this in an existing animation in the FitMotion.pac animation (make a backup of course) that way you don't have to turn off individual objects like faces. Angle the camera how you want it and click "Save Camera" at the top which will switch to "Clear Camera." This will assure you have the exact angle every time you preview a model. After that, load whatever recolor you want. Ctrl+Alt+I for screenshot with transparency.

If you intend to use that setup for the future for some other recolor or another model be sure to export those settings under Options->All Settings->Export. Then click "Reset Camera" to set the original position.

As for the pose itself, keep the character's personality in mind. It sounds odd, but it always works best. Always, always make use of the hip bone. If the character looks to be to straight, change the angle and adjust the other bones accordingly. Don't be afraid to utilize all of the bones even the ones that appear to have less action; bust, waist, shoulder, etc.

Take Bowser for example:

Since he's more of a monster-like character, he needs to be hunched over more. So the angle of his hip bone has a more intense angle as apposed to someone such as Roy:

He's more upright for his standing pose. This doesn't mean that all humanoid characters should keep upright for CSP poses. Sometimes it's a good idea to experiment with different poses. Try using existing poses as reference and you might getting something cool in the process:

Just keep in mind that while all of the pose stuff we do is in BrawlBox, we use different methods of rendering for cleaner renders. BrawlBox isn't exactly the most ideal program for "beautiful renders" but it gets the job done. I use Blender for my rendering methods while Taiko uses different methods.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
This might not be the optimal thread for it, but what is it that causes the control edit screen to freeze upon loading anything other than the default FitMario00 files? I have to leave it out of my ISO build and SD card because I have a lot of players that do custom controls on it. Is there any solution to this?

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
You're right on the first part: Just make a pose and save it. It's recommended to do this in an existing animation in the FitMotion.pac animation (make a backup of course) that way you don't have to turn off individual objects like faces. Angle the camera how you want it and click "Save Camera" at the top which will switch to "Clear Camera." This will assure you have the exact angle every time you preview a model. After that, load whatever recolor you want. Ctrl+Alt+I for screenshot with transparency.

If you intend to use that setup for the future for some other recolor or another model be sure to export those settings under Options->All Settings->Export. Then click "Reset Camera" to set the original position.

As for the pose itself, keep the character's personality in mind. It sounds odd, but it always works best. Always, always make use of the hip bone. If the character looks to be to straight, change the angle and adjust the other bones accordingly. Don't be afraid to utilize all of the bones even the ones that appear to have less action; bust, waist, shoulder, etc.

Take Bowser for example:

Since he's more of a monster-like character, he needs to be hunched over more. So the angle of his hip bone has a more intense angle as apposed to someone such as Roy:

He's more upright for his standing pose. This doesn't mean that all humanoid characters should keep upright for CSP poses. Sometimes it's a good idea to experiment with different poses. Try using existing poses as reference and you might getting something cool in the process:

Just keep in mind that while all of the pose stuff we do is in BrawlBox, we use different methods of rendering for cleaner renders. BrawlBox isn't exactly the most ideal program for "beautiful renders" but it gets the job done. I use Blender for my rendering methods while Taiko uses different methods.
Thanks for that, I'll be sure to give it a try. And on a side note, is there a certain character that is very simple to pose that I could start out with? Maybe Mario?

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
This might not be the optimal thread for it, but what is it that causes the control edit screen to freeze upon loading anything other than the default FitMario00 files? I have to leave it out of my ISO build and SD card because I have a lot of players that do custom controls on it. Is there any solution to this?
On the contrary, if the Smash 3 Mario is causing this problem then it might be worth looking into. Does it only happen when testing controls? Have you tried loading different colors or models onto the default Mario when doing so? If they still crash when you do this maybe the codes you're loading are a little mis-matched. This situation used to happen to me before the Project M 3.0 update (luckily I never really needed to add or change cntrols at the time).

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to give it a try. And on a side note, is there a certain character that is very simple to pose that I could start out with? Maybe Mario?
Yeah, Mario wouldn't be a bad start. Humanoid characters are easy to pose mostly becuase it's easy to relate their movements. Samus has less bones to work with so that's a good start. Also, I know it sounds a bit embarassing but animators do this a lot: it helps to physically do the poses yourself to assure the pose the character is in looks (and feels) natural.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
On the contrary, if the Smash 3 Mario is causing this problem then it might be worth looking into. Does it only happen when testing controls? Have you tried loading different colors or models onto the default Mario when doing so? If they still crash when you do this maybe the codes you're loading are a little mis-matched. This situation used to happen to me before the Project M 3.0 update (luckily I never really needed to add or change cntrols at the time).
I'll test different colors and get back to you on it. Don't think it's a problem with codes, but I'll remake my .gct then as well if this is the case (I use the global sound volume code).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As often as a Medic heals a Spy Scout.
Rarely, unless the Spy is disguised as a Scout using the Baby Face's Blaster.

Then there's always the possibility that the Medic is a new player and just heals everybody so it could go either way.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
@ Tailsmiles249 Tailsmiles249 It seems like the issue was having both a .pac and .pcs. Usually, I leave in the .pac for loading that texture into SSE and it seems like it was causing a similar crash here. Dropping it prevents it from showing in those particular areas, but it's a very minor loss for an exceptional texture.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Allow me to explain the .pac and .pcs usefulness, get your pen and paper ready guys cuz this is important for those making builds.

.pcs = is what the game reads first, is the important thing all character's textures need in order to work properly, if it doesn't have it, it won't work. It has less memory, meaning, it helps loading faster.

.pac = is the transforming texture, only characters that go through transformations, .i.e; Wario, Zelda, Bowser, Sonic and Samus need these.

Case Scenario one:
When a character (Zelda) does a direct transformation into another (Sheik) and there is no .pac for the transformation and only a .pcs, the texture will either continue to work or freeze, depends on the model and memory space.

Case Scenario two:
If the starter form (Wario) that doesn't have a .pac transforms into second form (Warioman) that haves both .pac and pcs, transforming back to normal will revert to its default Brawl textures, because there is no .pac to drive the game to the correct file.

-> Items are safe for both scenarios, except using final smash for transformations.
-> SSE switches characters ingame often, it counts as transformation
-> Probably the all star mode in future PM might behave the same way.

Narrowing it down:
As long as the character doesn't transform in any way, the .pac is not needed.
If it does, you need both .pac and pcs.
SSE safe? you need both in order to appear.
New characters spawning ingame needs these.
If you have both .pac and .pcs, the game will not freeze if it did not froze on other wii's, unless there are different factors, like coding or misplacing, that may affect the textures.

I did all of these over observation and trial and error, someone who is more experienced in this area is free to correct or add to this statement.

No one understands the mind of Edel.
Thanks, I try.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I should probably know this by now, but what is the simplest way to get the battle/character selection portraits working? The only way I've found is by editing a select few of the 450-odd files in the portrite folder in projectm/pf/info. I suspect this is the best way to go about it, but I was wondering if there was a shortcut.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I should probably know this by now, but what is the simplest way to get the battle/character selection portraits working? The only way I've found is by editing a select few of the 450-odd files in the portrite folder in projectm/pf/info. I suspect this is the best way to go about it, but I was wondering if there was a shortcut.
You could use the costume manager at lakora.us

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys not doing Samus Or snake? They aren't in the progress chart.

Edit: NVm just me being dumb.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
So guys, the team is currently deciding which character to release next, and we'd like to get some feedback from our fans and followers as well. The following link leads to a poll that has characters that are just about ready for either release or an update.

Cast your vote here ---> http://strawpoll.me/2223385

This also might become a standard in the near future for whenever we are deciding on who to release first, but we'll see. For now, we want to know what you think.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So guys, the team is currently deciding which character to release next, and we'd like to get some feedback from our fans and followers as well. The following link leads to a poll that has characters that are just about ready for either release or an update.

This also might become a standard in the near future for whenever we are deciding on who to release first, but we'll see. For now, we want to know what you think.
Rdiley hype :troll:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

WHY ISN'T KIRBY THERE???

Top Bottom