• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
He's beautiful...

PS: The sword trails are in the individual downloads, right?

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
He's beautiful...

PS: The sword trails are in the individual downloads, right?
Yes they are. They are also in the pack as well. So you guys know what you'll be getting

I plan to release them on the Vault at some point. When I find the time.

JB_G.O.A.T.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-6358-2520
Yes they are. They are also in the pack as well. So you guys know what you'll be getting

I plan to release them on the Vault at some point. When I find the time.

What files would i have to replace to just get the new sword trails i dont want to replace my whole build

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Ike looks amazing! Can't wait to try it out! *mouth foams with excitement*

Obskore

Smash Ace
oooh nice ike, updating roster and skins asap
is there a preview for the sword trails? or are those the ones in the dropbox gallery?
can't wait for Samus btw 0w0

Taiko

Smash Ace
oooh nice ike, updating roster and skins asap
is there a preview for the sword trails? or are those the ones in the dropbox gallery?
can't wait for Samus btw 0w0
So you guys know what you'll be getting

That should be all the new ones except for Link's spin attack, you'll have to go ingame and see it for yourself!

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
The new sword trails look amazing, it'll take time to get used to Roy's DED being yellow now, is there any reason why it was changed?

Not saying I don't like, it's just I find the change somewhat puzzling, that's all, though I guess yellow-ish orange is a more warmer color that better illustrates Roy's fire element.

farsight2000

Smash Rookie
I'm loving everything so far but I am having a problem when adding characters individually. I started out with what at the time was the full pack sometime last year and am now trying to add Smash 3 Ike. I added the costumes in no problem but I don't know how to add his BP or his CSP that would go in the bottom right side in BrawlCostumeManager. When I load up Ike in BrawlCostumeManager, there is nothing displayed for the two rightmost images and I can not drag the BP and CSP over them.

How do I add these in for Ike?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
*Goes into thread* *Runs outside and cries tears of joy while screaming "I LIKE IKE, I LIKE IKE!"*
*Wakes up from the daydream and thanks all possible gods that he has not done any of that.*

...the textures beautiful tho.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I'm loving everything so far but I am having a problem when adding characters individually. I started out with what at the time was the full pack sometime last year and am now trying to add Smash 3 Ike. I added the costumes in no problem but I don't know how to add his BP or his CSP that would go in the bottom right side in BrawlCostumeManager. When I load up Ike in BrawlCostumeManager, there is nothing displayed for the two rightmost images and I can not drag the BP and CSP over them.

The most straightforward solution I could find was re-downloading the full pack (as it has the BP's and the CSP's in the info.pac, and the respective files in the portite and char_bust folders, as opposed to the individual download which just has the .png files) and replacing the files, that might work for you if you haven't added any other costumes and such with their own BP's and CSP's.

I, on the other hand, had to download the common, portrite and info folders, and replace the files manually in order to keep the other costumes I've added.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
The new sword trails look amazing, it'll take time to get used to Roy's DED being yellow now, is there any reason why it was changed?

Not saying I don't like, it's just I find the change somewhat puzzling, that's all, though I guess yellow-ish orange is a more warmer color that better illustrates Roy's fire element.
I did it to match his sword glow better and because it stood out more. It helped that it was a "warmer" color and one that Marth does not have.

Sorry, I've no experience using Costume Manager. I do everything the (really tedious) Brawlbox way.

farsight2000

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I've no experience using Costume Manager. I do everything the (really tedious) Brawlbox way.
I actually started messing around after posting and figured out the tedious BrawlBox way. It's going to be annoying to do each time, but at least I know how to do it now!

Is there any chance you could add the .brres files with the individual characters?

The most straightforward solution I could find was re-downloading the full pack (as it has the BP's and the CSP's in the info.pac, and the respective files in the portite and char_bust folders, as opposed to the individual download which just has the .png files) and replacing the files, that might work for you if you haven't added any other costumes and such with their own BP's and CSP's.

I, on the other hand, had to download the common, portrite and info folders, and replace the files manually in order to keep the other costumes I've added.
I figured it out but thanks for the help anyway!

Axonn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Axonn1018
3DS FC
3454-1237-0469
For future references when using the Costume Manager, if you are using expanded slots from CBlissTool it will not work even if you had already created the corresponding files. So your only option is the tedious BrawlBox method.

However if not, don't forget to check the "Use Project M 3.0 Mappings" box under Options. Though not necessary for Ike IIRC, characters like Mario do need it.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Smash 3 Ike is so awesome +1000 downloaded already. Specially the Lord palette swap. You guys don't have any plans for a Black costume? It can be really great.

But still has the same pose. I think Ike's Brawl pose don't match the new Marth and Roy.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
I'm excited for this to be finished, I way prefer the somewhat less realistic looking textures of the next game. As opposed to weird textures... Not that I hate Brawls look.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is awesome. I'm especially happy about Lord Ike as I've wanted it for the longest time. Yay!

Last edited:

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
Questions for Shun or Taiko...

All of these recolors are astounding and the rim lighting makes the models absolutely gorgeous. That said, some of the remaining difference between the Wii U models and the Wii models is found in the smoothening of the models. There are many parts of the character models that are rigid or look down right ugly when viewed close up (Zelda's tiara and gold pieces, Ike's white fringy hair, just hair in general looks so awful when compared to Wii U) Understanding that your team works on bringing the game aesthetic up to Wii U's quality/style is there a chance that some of these aspects will be smoothened or given appropriate depth in the model in the future?

My other question involves Smash Wii U's very expression able faces. Is there any chance that we could see new expressions and emotions added to match Wii U and further combat against brawl aesthetic blandness compared to the next gen of games?

Finally, are there any plans to texture Brawl/PM's stages?

Thanks guys and love the work your doing

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
For the first part, I think that's more of a system limitation. If they could have their way, I'm sure we'd have even higher quality textures but they can't without it crashing the game or (in the case of a poly count increase) lagging it.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Questions for Shun or Taiko...

All of these recolors are astounding and the rim lighting makes the models absolutely gorgeous. That said, some of the remaining difference between the Wii U models and the Wii models is found in the smoothening of the models. There are many parts of the character models that are rigid or look down right ugly when viewed close up (Zelda's tiara and gold pieces, Ike's white fringy hair, just hair in general looks so awful when compared to Wii U) Understanding that your team works on bringing the game aesthetic up to Wii U's quality/style is there a chance that some of these aspects will be smoothened or given appropriate depth in the model in the future?

My other question involves Smash Wii U's very expression able faces. Is there any chance that we could see new expressions and emotions added to match Wii U and further combat against brawl aesthetic blandness compared to the next gen of games?

Finally, are there any plans to texture Brawl/PM's stages?

Thanks guys and love the work your doing
Good questions.

First, yes, the goal is to bring Smash 4's visual style to Brawl. That doesn't necessarily mean the WiiU version, we may take elements from the 3DS version too, as that's much more possible hardware-wise.

The quality of the models and textures is also like GP&B said, it's a limitation of the Wii. The Brawl models and textures are actually pretty much right on the edge for ensuring the best possible visuals without crashing the game, upping either the textures or model quality will crash the game, and we don't want that. (It's also the reason the updated Sonic isn't out yet, he's too high quality for the game to run smooth right now).

As for the expressions, we'll see about updating models, but for the purpose of saving time I don't think we will. Faces are pretty hard to get looking believable, so lots of time would have to go into that that could be spent on other aspects. (Time is a fiend, you never have enough of it!)

Finally, we don't plan on texturing the stages as of now, as that was part of the reason for the change in goal. If the textures are more detailed, they'll blend in with the stages much better.

Thanks for the support!

You guys don't have any plans for a Black costume? It can be really great.

But still has the same pose. I think Ike's Brawl pose don't match the new Marth and Roy.
Not at the moment, though we may mess around with a few colour schemes in the future. I personally want to try a few colours myself, I may try black when I'm playing around!

As for the pose, we tried a few different poses, but ended up with the Brawl pose since we already spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get a believable pose that stayed in character...it's surprisingly hard!

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
We need teasers of Kirby

pls

pls Taiko
Well, I checked my Imgur for Kirby, I found this:
Remember kids, don't multitask. You get nothing good from multitasking.

And I found this too, we're not hiding him from you guys! He just doesn't work ingame, at all.

Shin F.

Smash Master

And I found this too, we're not hiding him from you guys! He just doesn't work ingame, at all.
Kirby's looking incredible! I've never seen him look so incredibly human before!

But, I think that Ike has a couple of weighting issues. I might be wrong, though.

:bee:

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

uh

hes looking interesting

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice

Wow hahahaha XD

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
As for the pose, we tried a few different poses, but ended up with the Brawl pose since we already spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get a believable pose that stayed in character...it's surprisingly hard!
No problems, still looks great. The new textures give his face a new life in the render.

I can wait patiently for more palette swaps and Hero Ike.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
Okay, put my suspicion to rest: have you updated Ganon at all? I went ahead and downloaded the pack (my SD card was corrupted to I had to put it back) and Ganon is looking more excellent than I remember. Did you guys do something fabulous without telling me?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ike is so beautiful I shed a tear.. My prayers have been answered.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
[collapse=the blog sometimes shows mysterious things]

[/collapse]
OH MY ****ING GOD THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BE RELEASED

PLEASE

I really hope that you guys release Kirby with his PSD. Would make my life so much more easier when I add expressions to Smash 3 Kirby. ;)

Last edited:

Durnehviir

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm I wonder how they're gonna approach snake since he's the odd ball character he already looked weird in brawl

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm I wonder how they're gonna approach snake since he's the odd ball character he already looked weird in brawl
Maybe giving him brighter and cleaner textures, as it appears that's what is happening to most of the characters.

Not that I'm trying to diminish what you guys are doing here, I think it looks wonderful. It just seems that, that is what Smash 4 textures are doing.

Edit: Also that Yoshi is beautiful.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
For the Kirby you guys do, could you maybe combine it with the Expressions mod for Kirby? It makes Kirby have more faces than just the same blank stare the entire time.
I actually made that modification, haha. When they release the Smash 3 Kirby, if they can release their Kirby PSD and make the Angry and Hurt expression textures in their Smash 3 goodness for me, I'll add them to the modification as a new version and re-do all the copy abilities. If they do release the PSD's for Kirby, and make PSDs for the angry and hurt expressions, I'll be able to make more recolors too, as it won't be as difficult as before to recolor them.

Also, when you guys are making Smash 3 Kirby, will you also be re-doing all of his Copy Ability textures, or no? The ones that don't change the model aren't really that needed, but the ones that do (Jigglypuff, DK, Snake, Olimar, Falco, Mewtwo) would look really odd if they retained their old textures.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Also, when you guys are making Smash 3 Kirby, will you also be re-doing all of his Copy Ability textures, or no? The ones that don't change the model aren't really that needed, but the ones that do (Jigglypuff, DK, Snake, Olimar, Falco, Mewtwo) would look really odd if they retained their old textures.
Yup, and his hats will be rimlit as well.

Rimlit hats, all of them, one... by one...
:seuss:

Last edited:
Top Bottom