• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Juken

Smash Ace
Can any of you guys tell me how the Ice Mario skin that's in the OP has the ice fireballs + attacks?

I downloaded the Smash 3 Ice Luigi from Brawl Vault, and would like to copy the ice particles to him.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Oh man, this is looking good.

Can't wait for the finished product!

To include everything so far in my build or not to...?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761

Juken

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm trying to convert some mods to the Smash 3 style by mixing them with your textures, but I'm having some issues. If I post my problem here, would anybody be willing to help?

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Hey guys, I'm trying to convert some mods to the Smash 3 style by mixing them with your textures, but I'm having some issues. If I post my problem here, would anybody be willing to help?
I ain't part of the team but I can try to help. I know a couple of things about texture editing.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
The model generally has to have the same UV mapping as the Brawl models, which determines what part of the texture goes onto whatever corresponding section of the model.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Sure, depends on how difficult it is though.

Juken

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks guys. So basically, I've started reskinning some stuff for my build to fit Smash 3 (I probably won't do everything though) and there's two skins I'm having issues with. The biggest one is this Mario Sunshine skin.

The default one seems to have this weird smoothing error or something on the hat and top of the face that looks very odd, and it's completely messed up when I replaced the textures with the Smash 4 ones, it also lacks the glow the smash 4 mario has:
Pic comparing the three. Top left is the original skin, top right is the Smash 3 mario, and the bottom is when I tried to merge the textures by putting them together like a puzzle in photoshop. As you can see, the errors I mentioned are still there, and then there's a big white spot on it on his face in the merged one, and no glow.
Pic comparing the texture files when I merged them (excluding the pants comparison just to save time)
I think it's because it's a different model, but I have no clue.

I'm having a similar issue with the skin for Sonic that makes him into Scourge from the comic series. I used the green Smash 3 Sonic's textures for his spikes, gloves, and legs, but the texture of his face and spikes just looks really off for some reason. It seems like it's an issue with the model that the creator did instead of the texture itself though, but like I said, I have no clue since my knowledge on these things is VERY basic.
upload_2014-6-28_5-44-4.jpeg

The image also shoes that I tried to manually repaint his shoes to fit the smash 3 theme and be closer to Scourge's actual color, but I'm no texture artist, so I'm kind of terrible at manual texturing. I also edited his shoes to remove the visible compression in the texture, that was also visible in game.

Body texture comparison

Sorry for wall of text. Didn't want to leave any details out. If you need any resources, let me know.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
[Sunshine Mario]
There's definitely a smoothing error on the model, messing with the texture won't fix it. The white spot on his face looks like an error with the model's materials, that's supposed to blend into alpha since it's a shadow. I don't actually have knowledge with model related things, so I can't really help with that.
As for the lighting, you'll need to learn how to do rim lighting. Tutorial.

[Scourge Sonic]
The lighting thing is the same issue as Mario, it's a model issue. The compression is a thing that happens with Brawl, otherwise the uncompressed textures would be too big and crash the game!

Juken

Smash Ace
There's definitely a smoothing error on the model, messing with the texture won't fix it. The white spot on his face looks like an error with the model's materials, that's supposed to blend into alpha since it's a shadow. I don't actually have knowledge with model related things, so I can't really help with that.
As for the lighting, you'll need to learn how to do rim lighting. Tutorial.

The lighting thing is the same issue as Mario, it's a model issue. The compression is a thing that happens with Brawl, otherwise the uncompressed textures would be too big and crash the game!
Well I don't have any model experience or programs whatsoever so I guess I'll just have to replace that Mario sunshine skin. I might keep the Scourge one though and just try to ignore it since it's not as visible as the Mario one. If you have experience with texturing, do you think you could improve the textures on that to look less like base colors and more on par with the other Sonic textures from your Smash 3 mod? All that really seems like it might need changing from your style is probably the chest, shoes, the shades (the red square with black in the middle), and those white stud things on his shoes.

Here's the material file in .png format if so:
upload_2014-6-28_8-15-11.png
and the one I recolored
upload_2014-6-28_8-26-5.png

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
You'd need to add depth to the base colours by adding shadows and highlights. As for making the other parts match the style, you'd need to trace over them with base colours and then add the shadows and highlights on top. Hopefully that makes sense!

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Will you guys update this when the new skins and stuff come out?
They've never missed out on the opportunity. The thread has often received a title edit when new Smash 3 content has been announced/released/explained. Keep vigilant for the title change and you may be pleasantly suparised at what the thread contains.

Note: I'm not a Smash 3 team member, so if they have a correction to make in response to my statement it overrides this comment.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm dying for an update. I can't wait to see how consistent the new look is.
And to whoever is handling Bowser, you might wanna check this out. If you can top that...

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
The wait will be worth it man. I don't think we should try to give the Smash 3 team current textures that they need to surpass. Whatever they do, it will be awesome.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Damn those colours are basically perfect. Although I can see the actual textures being improved to an extent.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I have a very important announcement to make involving Smash 3:

ROB is now a rocket... whoosh....
Credit of the picture: Tails

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace

More. Keep in mind these are WIP, there are still some issues to fix before release.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I feel like a kid in a candy store. I just picked up Bowser as a side project and now I have this beautiful hunk of turtle... dinosaur... dragon... Godzilla... thing... to look forward to.

(By kid in a candy store: All these things I want so badly, but my mom will only let me get one thing per visit. And by visit I mean update.)

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
(By kid in a candy store: All these things I want so badly, but my mom will only let me get one thing per visit. And by visit I mean update.)
But hey, the candy shop is open and still going...
And eventually, one by one, your mom will end up giving you everything.
For now, window shopping free, patience is wonka.

Attempt to be deep.... failed

Cyclo

Smash Cadet
so I downloaded and I copy-pasted into my PM folder, and nothing from the pack has actually worked. Everything is still default project M no matter how many times I try to redo it.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
so I downloaded and I copy-pasted into my PM folder, and nothing from the pack has actually worked. Everything is still default project M no matter how many times I try to redo it.
Are you using the Hackless Method for Project M, or Homebrew?

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
This has happened to me before. I cleared out everything from my SD, and moved my PM Backup (Hopefullly you have one) and my Smash 3 pf folder over.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Did it asked you to replace anything? If not, you might have pasted it all incorrectly.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Are you ready guys?

Get ya guts on! Ike is here!

And we've got an extra costume based on Lord Ike as well:

That's not all, we've also updated the sword trails for Link, Marth, and Roy. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The best kind of DLC is the free kind. Epic Ike is epic!

Top Bottom