• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
If the game he appeared in is new, then he avoids spoilers. Its like if you would include a very spoilery character in the trailer, revealing his role even though it is hidden in the game itself.
Black and White are hardly new though. I feel it's just a nonchalant "oh, its this dudes castle, see if you can guess the obvious". Not everything is a tease at a character.
That, and I can't see N being playable at all considering PT doesn't exist anymore because transformation moves and characters and stuff were removed. Unless he just...fights without pokemon? Not seeing that happen anytime soon.
Either way, another PotD without Pyrosphere or Ridley, another day of blissful uncertainity.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Guys, that Direct is a Hyrule Warriors based one, it doesn't mean that there won't be an overall direct in the same month.

We had 2 Directs in August last year, one was for The Wonderful 101, and the other was a general one (and they were merely days apart from each other), so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Also, Reshiram, Zekrom and Milotic confirmed for a stage? So he just straight away mentions their names, but didn't for Ridley... well then...

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
...does anyone feel like sakurai just forgot ridley's existence in the game, and a few days before release, he'll reveal a PotD saying this, as a huge insult to us all...

"oops! i forgot ridley even existed, [laughs]. he's the boss of pyrosphere, sorry!"

...wouldnt put it past him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
To be fair it's not like Reshiram, Zekrom or Milotic are highly requested characters and stand as one of Nintendo's 30 year old all-stars. At this point it's becoming a bit redundant to point out characters that are immediately disconfirmed, I think we all know Ridley is getting special treatment, no matter what he is.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
There's one thing I would really like to see regarding a playable Ridley...

Custom mods that make him look like a Xenomorph!
this i would love to see but,

i think my body would explode and there won't be any of me left to play the game

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
...does anyone feel like sakurai just forgot ridley's existence in the game, and a few days before release, he'll reveal a PotD saying this, as a huge insult to us all...

"oops! i forgot ridley even existed, [laughs]. he's the boss of pyrosphere, sorry!"

...wouldnt put it past him.
I hope not and I don't think he'd do that. Sakurai's sneaky, not malicious; I could see him doing such a thing given a shorter span of time, but not after so long.

In fact, it's all of the hinting towards Ridley's inclusion that makes me suspect he won't be just a boss, it'd be a rather underwhelming reveal considering the amount of build up if he was just a stage boss.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I think his translator screwed up in that old interview and Sakurai was meant to say that he DOES want to make people speculate and get dissapointed.:awesome:

Last edited:

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
So I'm assuming if we get a Zelda newcomer on Monday the trophy theory is pretty much correct. Ridley is so close I can almost taste him. :psycho:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
So I'm assuming if we get a Zelda newcomer on Monday the trophy theory is pretty much correct. Ridley is so close I can almost taste him. :psycho:
I still want tingle, shouldn't it be easy to just disable a certain assist trophy when said assist is being played as. Please tingle. Also Ridley, Ridley would nice

Weavel

Smash Ace
I still want tingle, shouldn't it be easy to just disable a certain assist trophy when said assist is being played as. Please tingle. Also Ridley, Ridley would nice
You want tingle from zelda as a character? I would personally fight against that concept, that would be a totally wasted slot

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Please no. I'd take the new Hyrule Warriors chick over Tingle. Japan loves him though, so it's possible, AND he's appeared in more games than Ghirahim, and Japan gave him his own spin-off game over there. I would hate his addition to the roster but it's not entirely unexpected.

Again, the ambiguity with Ridley (not showing him directly or naming him specifically OR deconfiming him outright like all the other characters) points toward him being not a boss hazard and more than likely a playable character. Hopefully we'll know for sure in the next direct, and hopefully this HW direct shows more male playable characters (NOT Tingle, but again, it's possible. Not knocking you for liking Tingle by the way, I just don't like his character)

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'd love to see Tingle playable, preferably as a Tingle series representative rather than a Zelda series rep (if Yoshi can somehow not count as a Mario rep then Tingle with his 4 games can manage that easily), but he's already been confirmed an Assist Trophy; there is no chance left in this SSB. It's a real shame as well, I had my hopes up after hearing how his creator wants to see Tingle become more liked outside of Japan. Here's hoping for SSB5.

But that's a character discussion best left to a separate thread; this is Ridley's thread after all. Even more so than Tingle (even though both are within my top 10), I'm hoping to see Ridley playable and I'm feeling quite confident on his chances. I feel we're definitely due at least one villain newcomer this SSB, and Ridley is the only one whose been hinted to be featured in the game in some form. It'd be rather underwhelming for Sakurai to reveal Ridley as just a stage boss considering all the build up, so I'm confident we'll be getting him playable at long last.

If not, then I'll be rooting for him for SSB5. Other characters worthy and deserving of playable inclusion such as King Dedede and Little Mac took a long time to be playable, but they got to be so eventually, and I'm ready to wait on other deserving entries if need be. Again though, with Ridley, I feel we won't have to wait much longer.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Please no. I'd take the new Hyrule Warriors chick over Tingle. Japan loves him though, so it's possible, AND he's appeared in more games than Ghirahim, and Japan gave him his own spin-off game over there. I would hate his addition to the roster but it's not entirely unexpected.

Again, the ambiguity with Ridley (not showing him directly or naming him specifically OR deconfiming him outright like all the other characters) points toward him being not a boss hazard and more than likely a playable character. Hopefully we'll know for sure in the next direct, and hopefully this HW direct shows more male playable characters (NOT Tingle, but again, it's possible. Not knocking you for liking Tingle by the way, I just don't like his character)
You want tingle from zelda as a character? I would personally fight against that concept, that would be a totally wasted slot
:(

He'd make a great joke character though right?

EDIT-------------
I honestly shouldn't further this as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand so, BACK TO RIDLEY

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
For Ridleys reveal trailer, I think it should feature Falco being chased down what appears to be another ship with Fox to far away to save him, but instead Samus uses the gunship to fire at an astroid to divert this ships flight coarse saving Falco

Falco "I guess I should be grateful"
Samus "Did you get a good look at that thing?"
Fox "Whatever it was, its coming back for round 2"
Samus "Wait? No, It can't be! Its him" (Note: This part is not like the other M cutscene where she breaks down)
Ridley "Roar"

Ridley overshadows his opponents!

Also, excluding Super Metroid, what is the best Metroid game on Virtual Console? Fusion, Returns or the original?

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
For Ridleys reveal trailer, I think it should feature Falco being chased down what appears to be another ship with Fox to far away to save him, but instead Samus uses the gunship to fire at an astroid to divert this ships flight coarse saving Falco

Falco "I guess I should be grateful"
Samus "Did you get a good look at that thing?"
Fox "Whatever it was, its coming back for round 2"
Samus "Wait? No, It can't be! Its him" (Note: This part is not like the other M cutscene where she breaks down)
Ridley "Roar"

Ridley overshadows his opponents!

Also, excluding Super Metroid, what is the best Metroid game on Virtual Console? Fusion, Returns or the original?
I like fusion a lot, you should probably nab that first and then try the other. All are great games by the way.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
If we do have a villains trailer,I hope it goes something like this...

We see Kirby and Fox fighting what appears to be 0², then after they exchange a few hits, Ganondorf appears [insert splash] with a charged magic attack which he fires at Kirby and Fox knocking the duo back, then what we thought was 0² is really Vaati who appears in his human form [insert splash] . Luckily Falco comes by just in the nick of time with air support in the arwing [insert splash] , but a certain purple dragon won't allow that, knocking Falco's arwing out the air [insert splash] , causing him to hit the ejector seat and join Fox and Kirby.

Not sure what happens after that, not very good at this sort of stuff =/

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Tingle is an Assist Trophy again in SSB4.

I doubt we will get a Smash character in the Hyrule Warriors Direct, but it would be so cool to have Ghirahim confirmed for Smash.
If we do have a villains trailer,I hope it goes something like this...

We see Kirby and Fox fighting what appears to be 0², then after they exchange a few hits, Ganondorf appears [insert splash] with a charged magic attack which he fires at Kirby and Fox knocking the duo back, then what we thought was 0² is really Vaati who appears in his human form [insert splash] . Luckily Falco comes by just in the nick of time with air support in the arwing [insert splash] , but a certain purple dragon won't allow that, knocking Falco's arwing out the air [insert splash] , causing him to hit the ejector seat and join Fox and Kirby.

Not sure what happens after that, not very good at this sort of stuff =/
You ruined the trailer putting Fox and Falcon on it. And Vaati? Nah, Ghirahim is much better.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Tingle is an Assist Trophy again in SSB4.

I doubt we will get a Smash character in the Hyrule Warriors Direct, but it would be so cool to have Ghirahim confirmed for Smash.

You ruined the trailer putting Fox and Falcon on it. And Vaati? Nah, Ghirahim is much better.
It is my own idea after all, and if I think insignificant 1 time villains shouldn't be in, I won't put them in. This is a thread for Ridley not a Ghirahim.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

We got Little Mac and Rosalina in non-smash related Nintendo directs. Sure, they weren't dedicated to a different game, but you never know.

On a side note, how soul-crushing would it be if we got a zelda newcomer, everyone believed the trophy quiz, and then there just was no metroid newcomer ;=;

Last edited:

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
Hi everyone, these are my thoughts for Ridley and his chances of appearing in the upcoming game.

I really like Ridley as a villain. He is an important character who represents the Metroid series. But I believe that he will not be a playable character for Smash Bros 4. It's mainly because of Smash Bros Direct, where Sakurai mentioned that there will be other boss appearances such as the Yellow Devil on stages where brawlers fight, as a small clip is shown with Ridley's shadow on Pikachu located on the Pyrosphere stage for Wii U. This might also be another stupid joke from Sakurai, meaning that it could most likely be the clone Ridley fought in Pyrosphere from Other M or Meta Ridley from the Metroid Prime series, implying that the actual Ridley is still not out of the list. Other major reasons are that he is so huge looking at all of the Metroid games except for the first one on the NES, that he would probably be more or less the same size as the pokemon snorlax. If he is going to be confirmed, I see him being a lot like Charizard and Bowser. My last reason is that I think that Sakurai would've already added Ridley in previous Smash Bros games, mostly Brawl. Melee was understandable that he wanted to add Ridley, but it was hard to decide on whether he was a good character or bad for the game because of size and all. So instead, the director represented him in the intro of Melee. This already proves of the character's low chances. I'm not saying that he is out for sure, it's just an opinion with some proof.

I'm going to compare this situation with Palutena's. There was a picture of the day months ago, where it had a statue of Palutena on the screen as a decoration on the stage now known as Palutena's Temple. When we all saw that picture, we thought that she was a non-playable character for sure. A couple of months later, at E3, Palutena was confirmed as a playable character. In general, I see Ridley heading more towards assist trophies than anything else, but except for that, I don't see amazing things coming from Ridley.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wake up and see Shokio and Relax Alax were here, did someone get confirmed or something through a leak? In all seriousness, the fact Sakurai is remaining secretive about N gives me 2 reasons why. 1: He will be playable(it sounds really :083: though). and 2: N having the castle is at the end of the game, Sakurai might want to prevent spoilers, but it contradicts stuff he did with the trophies in Brawl

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Hi everyone, these are my thoughts for Ridley and his chances of appearing in the upcoming game.

I really like Ridley as a villain. He is an important character who represents the Metroid series. But I believe that he will not be a playable character for Smash Bros 4. It's mainly because of Smash Bros Direct, where Sakurai mentioned that there will be other boss appearances such as the Yellow Devil on stages where brawlers fight, as a small clip is shown with Ridley's shadow on Pikachu located on the Pyrosphere stage for Wii U. This might also be another stupid joke from Sakurai, meaning that it could most likely be the clone Ridley fought in Pyrosphere from Other M or Meta Ridley from the Metroid Prime series, implying that the actual Ridley is still not out of the list. Other major reasons are that he is so huge looking at all of the Metroid games except for the first one on the NES, that he would probably be more or less the same size as the pokemon snorlax. If he is going to be confirmed, I see him being a lot like Charizard and Bowser. My last reason is that I think that Sakurai would've already added Ridley in previous Smash Bros games, mostly Brawl. Melee was understandable that he wanted to add Ridley, but it was hard to decide on whether he was a good character or bad for the game because of size and all. So instead, the director represented him in the intro of Melee. This already proves of the character's low chances. I'm not saying that he is out for sure, it's just an opinion with some proof.

I'm going to compare this situation with Palutena's. There was a picture of the day months ago, where it had a statue of Palutena on the screen as a decoration on the stage now known as Palutena's Temple. When we all saw that picture, we thought that she was a non-playable character for sure. A couple of months later, at E3, Palutena was confirmed as a playable character. In general, I see Ridley heading more towards assist trophies than anything else, but except for that, I don't see amazing things coming from Ridley.
Hi there! Yeah, you've got a few points, but I'm pretty sure we've already covered those. Check out the second post on the first page, and don't drink the water!

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I wake up and see Shokio and Relax Alax were here, did someone get confirmed or something through a leak? In all seriousness, the fact Sakurai is remaining secretive about N gives me 2 reasons why. 1: He will be playable(it sounds really :083: though). and 2: N having the castle is at the end of the game, Sakurai might want to prevent spoilers, but it contradicts stuff he did with the trophies in Brawl
:/

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You thought that seeing a statue of Palutena disconfirmed her? After the Alphonzo situation? Don't say all, I'm pretty sure most people didn't jump to that conclusion.

A lot of the points you make (such as size) get pretty torn apart by the second post of this thread - it's a bunch of posts put together in one to debunk common thoughts on why Ridley won't be playable. Size included. You should read it, you stand to learn a few things.

And I assure you, Ridley will not be an assist trophy. He might be playable, he might be a boss, but those are really our only options at this point.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

I think you might have interpreted some information wrong. For the direct he showed the yellow devil as a stage boss, which was followed up by pikachu followed by Ridley's shadow saying Boss characters will make appearances on other stages. He did not directly connect the two like you claimed "here will be other boss appearances such as the Yellow Devil on stages". And 2nd I'm pretty sure Sakurai had no intention of adding Ridley in Brawl because there wasn't enough attention brought about it from what I could make out.

Sakurai said:
I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I realized something, 4th August Hyrule warriors direct, with a regular Direct that wouldn't be too long after that...I swear if we get a Direct on the 6th, I will flip every table in existance
Well, start packing in advance then. You've got a long journey ahead.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Why do we think Ridley will be revealed in August? Has Sakurai ever stayed true to anniversaries. Was Little Mac revealed on Punch Out!'s anniversary? August just seems to obvious to me.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hyrule Warriors direct on 5th August if we get Girahim/Zelda char that imo will add the most weight to the trophy theory because imo a FE & KI char were always a given but not a Zelda Char....

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Why do we think Ridley will be revealed in August? Has Sakurai ever stayed true to anniversaries. Was Little Mac revealed on Punch Out!'s anniversary? August just seems to obvious to me.
He revealed a picture of the pyrosphere in August last year

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yep.

Falcon and Fire Emblem also had anniversaries.

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
So does this Hyrule Warriors direct hurt our chances of the much speculated August 6th direct since they'd be too close together? I was hopeful to get my Metroid/Ridley fix next week :(

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Yep.

Falcon and Fire Emblem also had anniversaries.
Let alone Brawls for Lucario

However, isn't the Metroid anniversary early in the month? With a HW related direct, at best you get a Zelda character, so the only way to have Ridley be on the anniversary is have a direct the same week right?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So does this Hyrule Warriors direct hurt our chances of the much speculated August 6th direct since they'd be too close together? I was hopeful to get my Metroid/Ridley fix next week :(
There's still CoroCoro not announcing anything about Pyrosphere. At max they may something like "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second!" And it turns out to be a boss monster from Pyrosphere in Other M that's not Ridley. :p

However, isn't the Metroid anniversary early in the month? With a HW related direct, at best you get a Zelda character, so the only way to have Ridley be on the anniversary is have a direct the same week right?
Pretty much this. I doubt we'll get any Zelda character announced other than Ganondorf, though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

The original Metroid anniversary is, but there ar elike 5 Metroid anniversaries this month.

Not to mention the 1 year anniversary of the Pyrosphere reveal/Ridley tease...

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The original Metroid anniversary is, but there ar elike 5 Metroid anniversaries this month.

Not to mention the 1 year anniversary of the Pyrosphere reveal/Ridley tease...
It's really been 1 year since first worrying and being paranoid about Ridley?

*sniffles* The time sure does fly

Top Bottom