• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I think Ridley is going to be revealed in the next two weeks, he has to, otherwise I will probably not buy the game

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh hey.

Happy Pyrosphere anniversary or something.

Grumble.

This day would be significantly less daunting if it were not for that mother****ing leak brainwashing everyone.

Sigh.
Hey did you see the NoE picture

Last time they did palutenas your too slow.

Wait until you see the next one hehehe.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
That's a bit far for me. I already love the roster. As much as I want Ridley playable, it isn't going to affect my purchase.
The problem I have is that Sakurai would have teased a character for a year just to confirm him as a hazard but teases dark Pit and gives him a slot in the roster,I would buy it if mewtwo is confirmed but if not I'd rather have bayonetta, mario kart or hyrule warriors, that's just me of course

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The problem I have is that Sakurai would have teased a character for a year just to confirm him as a hazard but teases dark Pit and gives him a slot in the roster,I would buy it if mewtwo is confirmed but if not I'd rather have bayonetta, mario kart or hyrule warriors, that's just me of course
It's all a matter of perspective I guess. If we're being literal, Sakurai has only teased Ridley as a hazard. Sure, we have reason to read between the lines, but that doesn't mean maybe we should've taken stuff at face value. And clones don't really take a lot of extra development time, so it isn't like they steal other character's slots. They're just freebies. I don't see why they get so much hate.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A question fellow Ridley supporters: What would you suggest be Ridley's best way of initiating fights with opponents to get the upper hand?
Take to the skies/charge projectiles if he has the option. Cliché, but map control will be important, securing top platforms, etc.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
When I first read this I thought it was a poem! haha also what relevance is fight me to Ridley I'm not super into the Metroid series just yet I've only played Metroid and Super Metroid and I'm getting the Primes for my birthday (Speaking of outside of those 5 which others do you recommend I'm currently looking at Metroid Fusion simply because of easy access any others you would recommend?) so is "Fight me" a Metroid thing as well as Meta Knight or is it just because of the flame wars behind Ridley sorry for being so clueless!
It's actually the picture more than the caption. If you look at Meta Knight's wings, they look similar to Ridley's

And there's also the eyes of the picture, which match up with multiple Ridley incarnation eyes.

And the last thing is that the picture is on the Pyrosphere, the stage that Ridley's shadow was shown on.

And that concludes all of the Ridley comparisons to this picture.

As far as I know, "Fight me" has no connection to the Metroid series.

Hope this helped.

I recommend getting Prime Hunters if you have someone who lives near you or that you see often who also has the game / will buy it. Fusion is great, I have it on the Virtual Console. If you get Fusion, get Other M. They really expand on the stories of each other, which is something I enjoy. If you aren't a very story heavy guy, I still recommend Other M so that you can get the experience that a lot of people have.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's a bit far for me. I already love the roster. As much as I want Ridley playable, it isn't going to affect my purchase.
Even the chances are 0% but even if that leak is the rest of the roster and no more characters i would still buy both versions

Im a huge smash fan and i always liked the rosters made, besides i can finally get my revenge on that dog if its real.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Gather your tools of destruction and chaos... we will need them just in-case Ridley is not playable. Also in-case the Duck Hunt Dog is playable.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
It's all a matter of perspective I guess. If we're being literal, Sakurai has only teased Ridley as a hazard. Sure, we have reason to read between the lines, but that doesn't mean maybe we should've taken stuff at face value. And clones don't really take a lot of extra development time, so it isn't like they steal other character's slots. They're just freebies. I don't see why they get so much hate.
But he would have given Ridley special treatment, being extremely vague with him while deconfirming the rest quickly, I don't have a problem with Dark Pit, my problem is how he is handled, I mean, He teases Dark Pit, is vague with Dark Pit, What we get? A playable dark pit, he teases Ridley, is vague about Ridley, What we get? A boss hazard ridley, this would be bias at it finest. I don't hate clones but giving one of them the same treatment as Ridley just to have said clone playable would be a slap in the face for the supporters

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But he would have given Ridley special treatment, being extremely vague with him while deconfirming the rest quickly, I don't have a problem with Dark Pit, my problem is how he is handled, I mean, He teases Dark Pit, is vague with Dark Pit, What we get? A playable dark pit, he teases Ridley, is vague about Ridley, What we get? A boss hazard ridley, this would be bias at it finest. I don't hate clones but giving one of them the same treatment as Ridley just to have said clone playable would be a slap in the face for the supporters
Him being vague about Ridley has never been even close to proof of anything. Sure, it's a little weird, but we've had so little to speculate that I think it's been blown out of proportion. Besides, showing Dark Pit in an anime sequence and showing an in game shadow are very different things. And Ridley's teasing has gone on much longer.

Even the chances are 0% but even if that leak is the rest of the roster and no more characters i would still buy both versions

Im a huge smash fan and i always liked the rosters made, besides i can finally get my revenge on that dog if its real.
I appreciate this kind of attitude. I pretty much agree entirely. I only wish I were as confident about the leak xD. But that's discussion for a different thread.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Yep. Pyrosphere anniversary, Ridley still not disconfirmed, yay...

Only to have the gamatsu 2.0 occur. You can't exactly disprove the leak either since there may be design differences, but you can't really prove it to begin with.

I hope the PotD tonight blows it the **** out.
I don't think that we should worry about it, the designs of the select screens are too ugly for a smash game, and while some renders look real, this doesn't means that they're all true (or fake). I thinks that if he is right on some characters, he just didn't got all the roster and missed Ridley. That's why I think that this maybe-a-bit-true-leak doesn't stop our beloved lord to be playable.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Question. What if Ridley isn't announced, he is a playble character, but he is like Mewtwo in Melee where you have to play like 60 Hours of the game or something.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Him being vague about Ridley has never been even close to proof of anything. Sure, it's a little weird, but we've had so little to speculate that I think it's been blown out of proportion. Besides, showing Dark Pit in an anime sequence and showing an in game shadow are very different things. And Ridley's teasing has gone on much longer.
They are both being teased in the end, aren't they? Ridley deserves the slot far more than almost any other character, so teasing another character, just to have said character playable and making Ridley a boss again doesn't feel right to me

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Question. What if Ridley isn't announced, he is a playble character, but he is like Mewtwo in Melee where you have to play like 60 Hours of the game or something.
Then Ridley is playable and I am ecstatic

They are both being teased in the end, aren't they? Ridley deserves the slot far more than almost any other character, so teasing another character, just to have said character playable and making Ridley a boss again doesn't feel right to me
Well, it's like I said, matter of perspective. Doesn't feel right to you. But Sakurai may feel like he's represented Metroid enough by giving the franchise a well known stage boss. I wouldn't blame him, the series has been rather dead lately. Other M was 4 years ago and wasn't well received, and there still haven't been any new games announced. As much as I love the series, to be realistic you have to be objective, and objectively Metroid as a franchise isn't exactly at a high point right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

'Nuff Said.

While I would of course be happy that he is in the game, I would be annoyed by the fact that he was teased a ridiculous amount for over a year, with no grand reveal of his status via newcomer reveal trailer or something. I understand Sakurai and Nintendo aren't the most trustworthy when it comes to hyping things (Cranky Kong Debacle, no announcement at the Invitational, etc.) but I would still be bothered by the fact that the teasing would not come to fruition in the form of a grand, hype-building newcomer trailer.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
You guys, I need some emotional support

That forum post, you know, THAT one, that correlates with all these recent supposed leaks of an incomplete roster

It's implying Ridley is playable. But they could be phony. It could all be false.

But my hopes are skyrocketing. The hype is bigger than ....... Kraid.

Please help you guys, we have to be rational here, cuz if I count my eggs before they hatch THIS CLOSE I'm gonna be disappointed if it turns out not to be true just a mere two or three weeks later.

................................................ I want playable Ridley so bad. I may not even main him. I just want the enemy I've faced since I WAS A CHILD to have the respect many other Nintendo icons have received.

A'tal Rekramesh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rekramesh
As long as Ridley is playable I don't mind the unlock method, I unlocked Rosalina in MKWii without the Mario Galaxy save file method, so I can say I'm patient enough.

Hello everybody, BTW. I see I'm not the only one who decided to join after months of lurking.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader

That forum post, you know, THAT one, that correlates with all these recent supposed leaks of an incomplete roster

It's implying Ridley is playable. But they could be phony. It could all be false.

Please help you guys, we have to be rational here, cuz if I count my eggs before they hatch THIS CLOSE I'm gonna be disappointed if it turns out not to be true just a mere two or three weeks later.

................................................ I want playable Ridley so bad. I may not even main him. I just want the enemy I've faced since I WAS A CHILD to have the respect many other Nintendo icons have received.
It's ok....we won't overhype. Just relax.

Last edited:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I just thought of something... It's an alternate unlock option for ridley! Ok, It could be a 60 Hours to unlock thing, OR you could just have a Metroid game downloaded on the 3DS or WiiU. Both systems do have at least 1 metroid game on them.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I thought it was the opposite, huh.

All I can say is, if you're looking for evidence for Ridley, check the second post of the thread. Lots of level headed arguments compiled there.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Then Ridley is playable and I am ecstatic

Well, it's like I said, matter of perspective. Doesn't feel right to you. But Sakurai may feel like he's represented Metroid enough by giving the franchise a well known stage boss. I wouldn't blame him, the series has been rather dead lately. Other M was 4 years ago and wasn't well received, and there still haven't been any new games announced. As much as I love the series, to be realistic you have to be objective, and objectively Metroid as a franchise isn't exactly at a high point right now.
And giving kid icarus a big amount of enemies, three playable character and a lot of items is simply bias, Nintendo mentioned that they are trying to make a new metroid game, also, if he doesn't give DK a newcomer, he would be biased without a doubt, if he doesn't consider Metroid worthy a 3rd character, Why does he put it on the same level as kirby, pokemon, mario, etc?

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
A question fellow Ridley supporters: What would you suggest be Ridley's best way of initiating fights with opponents to get the upper hand?
Okay, so there was this thing you can do with Ganondorf in Brawl (I'm not sure about Melee, I never was big into that game). I'm sure you all know the thing, but if you don't, I'll explain it. Anyway, today I pulled it off on my brother when we were playing casual.

So what you do is you grab the opponent and you see how far you can throw them high and over the edge. And as they're falling down, all Ganondorf has to do is Side-B to latch on, and you both plummet down into death.

So what I'm trying to say here, is this is the strategy I want with Ridley. Not just for one move, but for an entire moveset. I want to see him have a move where he suicides, making him a high-risk-high-reward character. I also want to see him have a focus on both grabs and aerials. He needs a good meteor smash where if you can throw the opponent off of the stage (like the Ganondorf Combo) you can Meteor Smash them (or just spike them, can't get him banned now can we). I don't want this to be too overpowered, it needs to be hard to do. I picture that as a primary strategy. I feel as if this is an approach nobody has really taken to Ridley before, and I want to embrace this as the style I see on him. He needs to keep people at a distance, but people need to keep their distance from him. Maybe if he needs his own gimmick, give him Aerial Grabs. (Unless someone already has that...) If he gets something along these lines, he will be my Heavies Main. No questions asked. Unless he's a lighter class...

So as an answer to your question (if you didn't read all of that):

The exact opposite of Little Mac. Get them in the air, fear the ground. But with some decent grabs mixed in, too.

Possible Gimmick: Aerial Grabs

This turned from a strategy to a moveset overview... Sorry about that.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Shall I prepare the Phazon Super Weapon (Which just so happens to look like Ridley) to destroy all *Shutters* Detractors?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Okay, so there was this thing you can do with Ganondorf in Brawl (I'm not sure about Melee, I never was big into that game). I'm sure you all know the thing, but if you don't, I'll explain it. Anyway, today I pulled it off on my brother when we were playing casual.

So what you do is you grab the opponent and you see how far you can throw them high and over the edge. And as they're falling down, all Ganondorf has to do is Side-B to latch on, and you both plummet down into death.

So what I'm trying to say here, is this is the strategy I want with Ridley. Not just for one move, but for an entire moveset. I want to see him have a move where he suicides, making him a high-risk-high-reward character. I also want to see him have a focus on both grabs and aerials. He needs a good meteor smash where if you can throw the opponent off of the stage (like the Ganondorf Combo) you can Meteor Smash them (or just spike them, can't get him banned now can we). I don't want this to be too overpowered, it needs to be hard to do. I picture that as a primary strategy. I feel as if this is an approach nobody has really taken to Ridley before, and I want to embrace this as the style I see on him. He needs to keep people at a distance, but people need to keep their distance from him. Maybe if he needs his own gimmick, give him Aerial Grabs. (Unless someone already has that...) If he gets something along these lines, he will be my Heavies Main. No questions asked. Unless he's a lighter class...

So as an answer to your question (if you didn't read all of that):

The exact opposite of Little Mac. Get them in the air, fear the ground. But with some decent grabs mixed in, too.

Possible Gimmick: Aerial Grabs

This turned from a strategy to a moveset overview... Sorry about that.
Aerial Grabs with Ridley sound wickedly awesome.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
And giving kid icarus a big amount of enemies, three playable character and a lot of items is simply bias, Nintendo emntioned that they are trying to make a new metroid game, also, if he doesn't give DK a newcomer, he would be biased without a doubt, if he doesn't consider Metroid worthy a 3rd character, Why does he put it on the same level as kirby, pokemon, mario, etc?
Nintendo recently mentioned work on a new Metroid game was being thought about. This was not the case 2 years ago when the roster was decided. I don't have answers for everything. I think 2 characters is too much for the Kid Icarus series personally. I don't know Sakurai's thought process. He's definitely biased. Everyone is. That's being human. But I'm not going to let a decision about a video game anger me in real life, especially something so minor when I'm still going to love playing said game. In the scheme of things, it isn't all that big.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
As long as Ridley is playable I don't mind the unlock method, I unlocked Rosalina in MKWii without the Mario Galaxy save file method, so I can say I'm patient enough.

Hello everybody, BTW. I see I'm not the only one who decided to join after months of lurking.
generic welcome message with "dont drink the water" coming your way

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nintendo recently mentioned work on a new Metroid game was being thought about. This was not the case 2 years ago when the roster was decided. I don't have answers for everything. I think 2 characters is too much for the Kid Icarus series personally. I don't know Sakurai's thought process. He's definitely biased. Everyone is. That's being human. But I'm not going to let a decision about a video game anger me in real life, especially something so minor when I'm still going to love playing said game. In the scheme of things, it isn't all that big.
Precisely. Regardless of who gets in, I will still get and enjoy this game.

Being able to play Smash Brothers at a distant Country Home sounds awesome beyond belief.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
It's nice to see this thread is back on action. For now, let us ignore this leak, and discuss Ridley. :)
You just mentioned it you fool! :cry:

...Is it wrong that I would rather see the Wii U version check for Prime or Other M data as an alternate unlock for Ridley than, say, the presence of Super Metroid?

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Nice to have so many new faces, even if some of them are the same :p

It won't be long before we know Ridley's role for sure, just about 3 weeks now. Stay positive!

The flavor of bone marrow, unlike that of souls, is generally not impacted by the person. Although they could both be considered the core of a person....

Eat both to be safe
...of course... it's so simple! It is what we have been fighting for all this time, is it not? It is the very debate that happened so long ago! "How could both Ridley AND Zero Suit Samus both get slots for Metroid. Surely one of them will be cut!". We simply open our arms/wings, and say "Why not both?"

Souls for everyone. Marrow for everyone. It was, most certainly, a great time to be a Ridley fan.

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet

Know the feel, man. I've been feeling that way on and off this whole time. Personally, I have to keep distancing myself from Smash talk in general so I don't overhype/worry myself too much. Like you said, I don't want to get too excited for Ridley only to be crushed in the end. Taking in all the info in small, scattered doses seems to be working for me so far.

Top Bottom