• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
you know the Ridley screech in Fusion? do you think that he would make that noise in SSB4? so creeps.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo of Europe posted this today

you were saying?
Woah! There's no way that isn't a tease for Ridley but is it for playable Ridley or Boss Ridley most likely playable as it's a lost cause to get people hyped for a character that was a boss last time and a boss this time!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Aw, thanks.

It worked. That's all I really cared about. Since the mods are apparently not monitoring things right now (or the thread would have been locked after IsmaR's multiple warnings about exactly this sort of discussion), I had to find something.
I'm not trying to be rude and jump all over you, but a few pages back (in the middle of the discussion of the leak) a moderator edited and warned someone for double posting. Is it possible that it isn't even worth it to warn people for off topic? I mean, we do only have 3 weeks left.

That last part wasn't being serious.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Speaking of B Moves, we should talk about a Side B. That isn't "Seizure".
Dunno, I kinda like the command grab for this. If you really have to have something else, there's that odd lunging charge Meta Ridley uses in Prime, or he could be (as some fans gleefully point out) a dark reflection of Samus and launch a barrage of missiles (yeah, this one's better if it's actually Meta Ridley)?

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I think down B reflector would be best, I don't want Ridley to be brawl sonic, were a lot of his moves are similar looking to his specials, pogo would be very similar to his D-air, It would be cool if he is the only big body with a reflector.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Dunno, I kinda like the command grab for this. If you really have to have something else, there's that odd lunging charge Meta Ridley uses in Prime, or he could be (as some fans gleefully point out) a dark reflection of Samus and launch a barrage of missiles (yeah, this one's better if it's actually Meta Ridley)?
If it were Meta Ridley (please be Meta Ridley!), the missiles would work. Otherwise, I think a lunging charge would work better.

Could you have a lunging charge that is also a command grab?

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I'm not trying to be rude and jump all over you, but a few pages back (in the middle of the discussion of the leak) a moderator edited and warned someone for double posting. Is it possible that it isn't even worth it to warn people for off topic? I mean, we do only have 3 weeks left.

That last part wasn't being serious.
Most threads are still in hysteria so I think you're pretty close to correct on that. To lock one thread for this would mean to lock almost all of them but I do grow tired of the topic anyways.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
My god, you're melodramatic. If you have something unique to add to the thread then post it.
I tried getting people to stop talking about leaks, as we've gone through god knows how many and the only legit one is the CoroCoro scans. Trying to get people to stop talking about leaks is like trying to signal a air plane in max altitude with glow sticks. It's going to take a miracle or a strict Mod to get people to just focus on Ridley again.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
you know the Ridley screech in Fusion? do you think that he would make that noise in SSB4? so creeps.
I hope that is one of his taunts, personally. No joke, I really want that. I want him to do that flexing thing it looks like he's doing in his fusion sprite while he does the Fusion Screech.

EDIT: That's a good topic. Let's talk taunts.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I hope that is one of his taunts, personally. No joke, I really want that. I want him to do that flexing thing it looks like he's doing in his fusion sprite while he does the Fusion Screech.

This motion for his body, but coupled with the wide open mouth as he roars with that ear-splittingly awesome screech.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Woah! There's no way that isn't a tease for Ridley but is it for playable Ridley or Boss Ridley most likely playable as it's a lost cause to get people hyped for a character that was a boss last time and a boss this time!
That's true, but what if this is just to create hype for people to get the game? I'm just seeing both sides (though your reasoning sounds more plausible. Just one question: How would you feel if Sakurai gave us a trailer of a character (villain) and a PoTD showing Ridley as a boss/playable? These are two scenarios.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

Hey look, its seems like Ridley saw yesterdays Potd

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's true, but what if this is just to create hype for people to get the game? I'm just seeing both sides (though your reasoning sounds more plausible. Just one question: How would you feel if Sakurai gave us a trailer of a character (villain) and a PoTD showing Ridley as a boss/playable? These are two scenarios.
Well, Ridley's demand is almost entirely in the west. Due to the difference in release dates, we ARE going to know the full roster before we get it. So hyping a character to get people to buy the game won't work when it turns out, well in advance of them being able to get the game, that the character isn't in.

It's also bad policy in general to troll your customers like that, especially for a game like Smash that pretty much banks on the fanbase. Nintendo wouldn't make that kind of error.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

I wonder if Ridley's behind Zero Suit Samus' new alt costume, another thing to worry about when it comes to Ridley shipping fanfic (unless someone is into that sort of stuff).

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
veins in upper part PURPLE of wings on Pyrosphere...
veins in PURPLE wings(Was on Pyrosphere)... Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Nintendo wouldn't make that kind of error.
But Sack of Rice might. Never underestimate an idiot in sufficiently high position.

I wonder if Ridley's behind Zero Suit Samus' new alt costume, another thing to worry about when it comes to Ridley shipping fanfic (unless someone is into that sort of stuff).
I can't be the only one wondering what the franchise would be like if they were together, can I? :teeth:

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
This motion for his body, but coupled with the wide open mouth as he roars with that ear-splittingly awesome screech.
Yes! Now I really want it.

It's a shame I couldn't find a gif with an open mouth. This is actually the only gif I could find with what a searched...

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Well, Ridley's demand is almost entirely in the west. Due to the difference in release dates, we ARE going to know the full roster before we get it. So hyping a character to get people to buy the game won't work when it turns out, well in advance of them being able to get the game, that the character isn't in.

It's also bad policy in general to troll your customers like that, especially for a game like Smash that pretty much banks on the fanbase. Nintendo wouldn't make that kind of error.
That makes sense. As aren't there people that get the game before the actual launch? The way I see it here: It's Sink or Swim time for Smash Bros.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
But Sack of Rice might. Never underestimate an idiot in sufficiently high position.
He's not, though. He's in sufficiently high position to dictate Ridley's place in the roster and control the pace of the reveals, but I really don't think he's in a position to overrule the marketing teams or the corporate leaders looking to their profit margin.

I don't think Sakurai actually creates most of the PotD. I think he okays them, but that there's a pretty big marketing team involved in most of this stuff.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
He's not, though. He's in sufficiently high position to dictate Ridley's place in the roster and control the pace of the reveals, but I really don't think he's in a position to overrule the marketing teams or the corporate leaders looking to their profit margin.

I don't think Sakurai actually creates most of the PotD. I think he okays them, but that there's a pretty big marketing team involved in most of this stuff.
Actually not the case for a lot of it. Back pre brawl, the dojo website was actually like a personal blog of Sakurai's. It was all done by him. This time he did it less in depth so it would be less work for him. We don't know for sure this time around, but I'm pretty sure it's 99% Sakurai.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
that meta knight image really does seem like some subtle teasing...

...but i am sick of teasing!

give us a damn clear-cut answer, already!

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: That's a good topic. Let's talk taunts.
now that i think about it...do you think the hunch over ridley shadow was based off of fusion ridley?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Actually not the case for a lot of it. Back pre brawl, the dojo website was actually like a personal blog of Sakurai's. It was all done by him. This time he did it less in depth so it would be less work for him. We don't know for sure this time around, but I'm pretty sure it's 99% Sakurai.
This game has a much larger development team than Brawl, though. And there has already been more outside involvement with the marketing (like the trailers themselves). Nintendo has done several of the disconfirm tweets without Sakurai to help cull hype. I don't think they'd let a constant Ridley tease that has gotten them literally thousands of responses keep going if he was unplayable.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
That definitely is possible; however Ridley is shown off I don't mind I would love a trailer because they always are so tense and exciting but I'd honestly rather see Ridley as a boss in a POTD than no representation for him at all. I'm not 100% I understand your question do you mean a trailer of a separate character as well as Ridley in a POTD if so I am perfectly fine with that, but I feel a Ridley trailer is way more likely as he would be a big impetus for sales of the game being one of the most wanted newcomers in USA. What about you?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
seriously!? what do you expect? we're in the last days before release, there are gonna be "leaks" and rumors popping up all over the place and people are going to want to talk about them. I don't understand why you're so put off by leak talk
Maybe because it's against the rules to derail this or any other character thread with general leak talk. On that note, I'm actually sifting through every post not having to do with Ridley so much as them just refuting leaks/lamenting it or this thread in general.

That goes double for any posts going forward. I've been running around putting out fires everywhere, but anybody who thinks they don't have to follow said rules are in for a rude awakening.

Keep it Ridley related at all costs or get warned. Or just don't post. **** is only going to get more hectic from here on out. Personally, I'm not one to quit just because the going gets tough.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Warning Received
what do you guys think of the leak along with the famitsu scans?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
That definitely is possible; however Ridley is shown off I don't mind I would love a trailer because they always are so tense and exciting but I'd honestly rather see Ridley as a boss in a POTD than no representation for him at all. I'm not 100% I understand your question do you mean a trailer of a separate character as well as Ridley in a POTD if so I am perfectly fine with that, but I feel a Ridley trailer is way more likely as he would be a big impetus for sales of the game being one of the most wanted newcomers in USA. What about you?
Oh yes, I did mean a trailer of one character and a PoTD of Rids. But yes, it does seem more likely that Ridley would be revealed in a trailer, it would certainly boosts the game's hype. I'd have to agree with you, a trailer showing is the best way to display Ridley as playable. I'd definitely be interested with playing him. As far as playable, I could very well see Rids as a glass cannon.

Also, while there is evidence supporting both sides, if any person could answer just this one question: If Ridley is a boss, why would he be teased this much?

Obviously people believe Sakurai knows of Ridley's fanbase, so if anyone could answer this with a sound argument, then that would convince me that Ridley is only a boss. However, that's not the case, which means: I'm skeptical. I have always been neutral, so I never gave Ridley's inclusion much thought until I entered here. I have to say, his chances are as good as ever at this point, and I do sincerely hope that all of the people who have been waiting for his inclusion (especially since Melee days) gets their due.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ignore that leak talk

Instead talk about this

Should Ridley's tail spike have a sweetspot on the spike for tail attacks?

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
what do you guys think of the -snip- famitsu scans?
I'd love to see all of it translated (Because noone decided to show me anything of last Famitsu >:C) so I could learn new stuff about some stages. Especially Pyrosphere if they have it, I'd love that. :3

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sorry, just seeing the opinion on what you guys think.

The lack of Ridley is what has me iffy towards it the most but I could live with it if it was true.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Ignore that leak talk

Instead talk about this

In the same style to Luigi's uppercut sweetspot, or how Marth gets the maximum power from the tip of his attack? Either way, I believe he should.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Ignore that leak talk

Instead talk about this

Well it would only make sense, really. Can't see this not happening. Maybe if the sweetspot isn't hit it causes more knockback but less damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom