• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

So I found this "hybrid" sprite for Ridley that someone made on Tumblr (i.e. parts of Ridley's Zero Mission sprite, and parts of the Xenomorph Praetorian sprite from an Alien vs. Predator Arcade game, according to the post):

Barring the fact that Ridley would probably be on all fours (to compensate for his height and for better scaling) I really like the stance of this sprite and if not for the aforementioned scaling/height issues would really like this look (read: stance) for him in Smash.

What would you all think?

Also Metroid Art

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
You just mentioned it you fool! :cry:

...Is it wrong that I would rather see the Wii U version check for Prime or Other M data as an alternate unlock for Ridley than, say, the presence of Super Metroid?
This is a dumb question, but can a Wii U game read through the data of Wii Save Memory?

And personally I would be fine with Other M save data checking, though I'm not very far in it. Just please don't check for Prime because I don't have it ;-;

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
One major reason I want Ridley in Smash Brothers:

Just imagine ruthlessly demolishing things as him in Smash Run!

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
...of course... it's so simple! It is what we have been fighting for all this time, is it not? It is the very debate that happened so long ago! "How could both Ridley AND Zero Suit Samus both get slots for Metroid. Surely one of them will be cut!". We simply open our arms/wings, and say "Why not both?"

Souls for everyone. Marrow for everyone. It was, most certainly, a great time to be a Ridley fan.
Afterall, is it not the code ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER F*CKER that (in some versions of the game) spawns you as Zero Suit Samus? Too big a coincidence to not be real.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Hey guys. What about custom moves for Ridley?

What custom moves must Ridley have?
If we assume Oasis's moveset on the first page to be the set he gets...

Fireball - Options are "faster" or "stronger," as seems to be the general case. Faster fireballs cause smaller explosions with less damage, stronger ones have a significant lag before the attack but have a larger splash radius.

Command Grab - Options are a barreling charge that does more damage, but lacks an actual grab, or a swift snatch similar to Bowser's Koopa Klaw that deals less damage but isn't as telegraphed (and is less useful as recovery due to shorter movement).

Reflector - Both options remove the charge time, but lock Ridley into a specific trigger/response set: Reflect projectiles a la the Star Fox characters, or counter melee attacks a la the Fire Emblem ones.

Flight - Real simple: Shorter (and fewer) hops that allow glides between them (i.e. better horizontal), or powerful downstrokes that lift higher but don't allow as much forward movement (better vertical). Just for the record, I'd like to point out that five natural jumps a la Kirby or Meta Knight or a certain stupid creampuff would be preferable for this aspect of our Commander. :rolleyes:

So I found this "hybrid" sprite for Ridley that someone made on Tumblr (i.e. parts of Ridley's Zero Mission sprite, and parts of the Xenomorph Praetorian sprite from an Alien vs. Predator Arcade game, according to the post):

Barring the fact that Ridley would probably be on all fours (to compensate for his height and for better scaling) I really like the stance of this sprite and if not for the aforementioned scaling/height issues would really like this look (read: stance) for him in Smash.

What would you all think?
...I think Other M ruined our chance for this. :c

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This game has a much larger development team than Brawl, though. And there has already been more outside involvement with the marketing (like the trailers themselves). Nintendo has done several of the disconfirm tweets without Sakurai to help cull hype. I don't think they'd let a constant Ridley tease that has gotten them literally thousands of responses keep going if he was unplayable.
Oop, I don't think I ever answered this, m'bad

Uhh, I think I had been going to respond with something along the lines of there is a lot more outside involvement in the creation of the trailers, but I think Sakurai still regulates most of it (maybe not third party stuff, but idk)

as for disconfirm tweets, those only started happening recently, and there has been no big Ridley tease recently. If they show Ridley off as a hazard, maybe then we'll get one :/

Boofer

Smash Ace
Don't worry guys.

I promise you the leak is not final.

I've been saying this since we saw the leak.

No way it is final so long as Dark Pit and Doc separated from their franchises.

I'm still all in for Ridley.
The main thing their positioning in this leak has in common is that they're all clones.

R0Y

Smash Master
So it sounds like there's a few more newcomers in the game, the DLC characters are BS, and the cuts are cut for good.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Aerial Grabs with Ridley sound wickedly awesome.
Agreed. I've seen people liken the possibilities to stuff Firebrand does in UMvC3, which sounds awesome for a Smash Bros game.

I want Ridley to be something really special and unique. That's been a trend with basically every (confirmed) newcomer so far, minus Lucina.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I can imagine a remix of this in Smash with Latin chants at around 1:09 that go something like:

Ridlwus magna! Ridlwus ignis! Mox scies puteum Ridlwus, Deo mors!
Great Ridley! Fiery Ridley! Soon you'll know well of Ridley, God of Death!
Ridlwus astutia! Ridlwus letalis! Mox eris præda Ridlwus, Deo mors!
Cunning Ridley! Deadly Ridley! Soon you'll be prey of Ridley, God of Death!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Agreed. I've seen people liken the possibilities to stuff Firebrand does in UMvC3, which sounds awesome for a Smash Bros game.

I want Ridley to be something really special and unique. That's been a trend with basically every (confirmed) newcomer so far, minus Lucina.
well technically lucina is unique in the fact one of her taunts lets her put on her mask or take it off

it would be great if he did end up getting aerial grabs as long as it isnt too OP or just bad

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Aerial grabs... oh my god. I just thought of how awesome that would feel and look! Smash a guy up, follow him grab, whip him out.... he's coming back to the stage! Time it... grab! KO!

Oh! What if he doesn't necessarily have grabs for every move... instead, that sweet spot we were talking about? What if they're just regular attacks unless you hit the sweetspot, then it turns into a grab move for more throwback? So ridley's damage output and throwback potential is actually fairly lackluster unless you have better timing, then he just becomes a grabbing, nomming, chucking beast!

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Aerial grabs... oh my god. I just thought of how awesome that would feel and look! Smash a guy up, follow him grab, whip him out.... he's coming back to the stage! Time it... grab! KO!

Oh! What if he doesn't necessarily have grabs for every move... instead, that sweet spot we were talking about? What if they're just regular attacks unless you hit the sweetspot, then it turns into a grab move for more throwback? So ridley's damage output and throwback potential is actually fairly lackluster unless you have better timing, then he just becomes a grabbing, nomming, chucking beast!
what if after he launches his opponent through an ariel attack and then uses his tail to extend out to grab you for more ariel moves...thinking of that just...mfff

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
How would you guys like the reveal trailer to go?

As soon as we get anything that ties to Metroid in the trailer, we all know what it means. So how do you want that trailer to play out? What music and location should kick it off?

Nah, they'll remix the remix they used in Prime. :p
Because that music was awesome.

Also, it's nice to see the mods finally around to enforce the "no leak talk" rule.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

As soon as we get anything that ties to Metroid in the trailer, we all know what it means. So how do you want that trailer to play out? What music and location should kick it off?

Because that music was awesome.

Also, it's nice to see the mods finally around to enforce the "no leak talk" rule.
maybe samus would enter a dark hallway and then transitions to first person mode as what looks like gameplay for metroid prime 4 then all of a sudden smash brother characters pop up and ridley appears
oh god now im thinking that it shows MP4, pans out to nintendo characters playing the game, ridley taps marios shoulder, then wam...aka the wft trailer xD

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237

i would want it to be in some research facility that samus was sent to go through, that way it can reveal both ridley and mewtwo at the same time

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

Absolutely must involve the Pyrosphere, or Norfair if that stage returns. Ridley must get his exact entrance from Other M, because nothing can make him look like more of a BAMF than rising out of the flames like he's the freaking Devil. :demon:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I believe that it should start off with a monologue from Samus. I know it won't happen, but I'd like it if the trailer for Ridley actually showed how he actually relates to Samus' appearance in the Smash Bros series. E.G: Ridley flies around across Planet Zebes, then the fight between the two of them in the Melee opening and their fight in Brawl. Then Samus would finish with something like:
"This fight will be completely different than our previous ones." then it cuts to Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage. Definitely, VS. Ridley should play, either a new version of it, the Other M version or the Brawl version. That's what I think

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Absolutely must involve the Pyrosphere, or Norfair if that stage returns. Ridley must get his exact entrance from Other M, because nothing can make him look like more of a BAMF than rising out of the flames like he's the freaking Devil. :demon:
We start on Pyrosphere, with the Norfair music (because, as said before, it's awesome). We get Goyagma rising out of the lava as a stage boss, then Samus kills it. Then the Ridley theme kicks in.

i would want it to be in some research facility that samus was sent to go through, that way it can reveal both ridley and mewtwo at the same time
Yeah, I'm still thinking they would share a trailer, and that setting does make sense for the two of them.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
That'd be the Magmoor Caverns, by the by~
You just got that stuck in my head, again. Thank you, heh.

Also, since Ridley seems to change color with every appearance, would his default red, green and blue color changes for teams count as alts in the minds of Sakurai and his team?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet

Personally I think it's a great idea as well, gotta say I thought Lucina deserved better than to be a clone.

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
For a reveal trailer, I have to admit, I'm partial to the non-metroid reveal. If something metroid were shown, we'd all freak out and know exactly what's happening. They could obviously turn it around, but we'd either be insanely disappointed or unsurprised.

I think it would be stronger if we had an intro for, say, Shulk (just throwing him out there as a possible unrevealed hero), and he has some kind of inner monologue about his new struggles, facing enemies he could not otherwise have faced. And then, when we're expecting another veteran for him to face, like the Lucina C. Falcon reveal, instead the camera just glimpses over to Ridley. Just standing there. A moment of slow motion... maybe complete silence. Enough for the audience to really go "Wait a minute... is that... no... freaking... way...." And then BOOM they fight! Epic fight scene ensues!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
FELLOW SPACE PIRATES. HEAR THE VOICE OF REASON. Our commander's chances remain strong! HAIL RIDLEY!

DO NOT BELIEVE ANY LEAKS. This is going to sound outlandishly crazy, but I personally know a former game tester who worked for Nintendo of America. The only reason he shared his info with me was all the games he worked on came out already. He helped write the guide for Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Anyways, my point being that people would lose their jobs and go to JAIL for leaking legitimate info if they were found out. He told me a story about one guy who downloaded a soundtrack onto his flash drive (I think it was Mario Galaxy's, the one that was bundled with certain Wii consoles) and he went to jail for a few years for that. Nintendo takes their stuff very, very seriously. Shortly after the Wii U was revealed, they were able to test a few games on the consoles, but they were kept under armed guard. If someone is really that determined to get information out about the game, they'd be risking a hell of a lot for it. I don't want false speculation either, and ALL leaks are made with fan demand in mind to make them convincing and so you can attach yourself to them and boost the credibility in your mind when you see a character you want in the game.

tl;dr All leaks are fake, Ridley included or not. Don't build your hopes up based on "leaks" (I always took them with a grain of salt anyways)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
For a reveal trailer, I have to admit, I'm partial to the non-metroid reveal. If something metroid were shown, we'd all freak out and know exactly what's happening. They could obviously turn it around, but we'd either be insanely disappointed or unsurprised.

I think it would be stronger if we had an intro for, say, Shulk (just throwing him out there as a possible unrevealed hero), and he has some kind of inner monologue about his new struggles, facing enemies he could not otherwise have faced. And then, when we're expecting another veteran for him to face, like the Lucina C. Falcon reveal, instead the camera just glimpses over to Ridley. Just standing there. A moment of slow motion... maybe complete silence. Enough for the audience to really go "Wait a minute... is that... no... freaking... way...." And then BOOM they fight! Epic fight scene ensues!
Any other newcomer would pale in the limelight, though. I'm thinking Mewtwo is the only other one who could survive that trailer.

Also, replace Shulk with Isaac, because Isaac is a much better choice.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
We need to stay together. Do not lose hope!

Come on guys! Sing along!

Ridlwus magna! Ridlwus ignis! Mox eris præda Ridlwus, Deo mors!

(This is possibly very inaccurate, but who cares, it still sound cool!)

Last edited:

MapleBeasts

Smash Cadet
what if after he launches his opponent through an ariel attack and then uses his tail to extend out to grab you for more ariel moves...thinking of that just...mfff
As I said earlier I like the idea, but just curious on what could stop a Ridley from grabbiciding or edgeguarding in the air with it (leaping off an edge, grabbing and then dragging opponents to an unrecoverable state to ensure ko's) especially if he was going to have strong aerial mobility.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
And what about the horribly clipped stages? And Wario hands clashing with G&W? And Wario's missing pupil?
I haven't looked the stages, regarding wario, by the way its placed Game and Watch, the "hand" you see overlapping is just an image build in your mind due to teh continuity of a very strong diagonal and some white pixels that give you an insinuation of a known form in Game and watch hand. perception and optical illusions work that way, that "hand" could just be warios jacket, and wario's pupil is just behind his big nose. there are some pixels that indicate this.

My posture regarding the leak, is that if it is fake is actually amazingly made. with a some serious manwork hours put into it, so it's higly unlikely (not imposible) someone would spent the time to do it. (and I would still be amazed at the quality of shulk and ness images)

Sadly most reasons i've seen against the leak aren't actually good (specially making sense of teh roster and stuff, if anything, someone who would do a fake roster probably would choose a safe bet as mewtwo and wouldn't cut a safe bet as Ice Climber) (or clones being grouped together (if anything I think this makes more sense).

Regarding the whole players don't have levels, let me ask you, what do we know about Amiibos and the exact way they work and you select them? almost nothing. if there is at least one confirmed variable of what we know very little about, what makes us think that we know all the quirks and details that will be new on this game? thats why that is hardly any conclusive evidence.

while Dr mario and bowser jr renders look very similar to actual officials renders, the fact that they are official renders but still not completly the same (at least bowser junior isn't) wouldn't be that strange considering the posture could have been used as a source while creating the posture.

With that i want to point the singlest stronger piece of evidence against the leak that is a source image of the DhD render that isn´t official. with that said, the problem is that how it was posted, the source haven't been cited, its pretty bad quality (to the points that looks faker than the leak itself) and was created AFTER the leak, (google image search doesn't point anything) So if the source of that image don't appear, That evidence is as good as nothing. ( I personally see some familiarity with that image, but i don't recall where the **** i would have seen it, and since the way memory work, I only need to have seen a "similar" image and not remember it well, for my brain to "fill teh gaps" and tell me that was the same image I saw). so yeah, we still need proof there :c .

Regarding teh clearly fake gameplay screens taht also surfaced, do we have proof they come from the very same leaker?

Please be noted that even if the leak turns real i won't be dropping either Mewtwo not Ridley support. in teh context of the leak in fact mewtwo is still a mistery.and If ridley isn't in, then we need to be fierce on a DLC campaign. but I won't adhere to sloppy arguments if i see them, being them pro ridley or not ._.

EDIT: since, with reason, this discussion shouldn't be held here, if you want to reply this post feel free to PM me

Last edited:
Top Bottom