• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Thanks it was supposed to be a reply to your earlier post but I accidentally deleted it and didn't realize it until I already posted it speaking of I'm surprised nintendo land ridley never came to mind for alts.
A lot of people seem to forget Nintendo land Ridley. Hopefully Sakurai won't xD

Zynux

Smash Lord
In the event that Ridley is not playable?

Well, before starting anything we would need answers. Because of how controversial Ridley is now, especially with the Pyrosphere teasing, it may be a situation where Sakurai will have to address.

After that? Well, the best bet would just to show that Ridley can be made playable by building him from the ground up. Brawl hacks, Project M, or even if Smash 4 is hackable; a convincing playable Ridley in any one of these will raise some noise and gain steam.

---

If Ridley turns out to be shafted from playability, then I made a post a long time ago what I felt the situation was turning into. I've become far more neutral from that position now, but if Ridley fails to make it in Smash 4 then I would be convinced that's exactly how everything went down.

It may seem "illogical" to most people in this thread, and admittedly it's not a completely full-proof theory or fleshed out (for example, I wonder what the development team think about the overwhelming negative reaction to the Yellow Devil? I wonder if that will shake up their marketing strategy for these Boss Characters, to the point where hyping Ridley up for a mechanic that is no longer desired will be very problematic), and relies a bit too much on mine and Ridley fan's perceived "incompetence" on the part of the developers (though to be fair, some opposing theories rely too much on Sakurai "trolling") but from a developer's perspective it could just very well be a tease for a "new" mechanic/addition that got out of hand.

Is Nintendo stupid? Nope.
Highly debatable, my good sir.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If Ridley ends up not being playable I'll do what I did the last time that happened

deal with it, love the game anyways, cry silently, hope for the next smash. The cycle continues.

I died watching this (Ridley related):
This video is amazing and needs more attention.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Highly debatable, my good sir.
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
You know what else is Highly Debatable?
R...amen Flavors.

Some like it Chicken, others Vegetable.
TotallynotRidley.
Notdebatableatall.
*cries in corner*

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
So guys what were your most wanted characters before the smash 4 announcement here are mine 1.Ridley 2.Mega Man 3.Palutena 4.Little Mac 5.Pacman.
Not sure if Sakurai listens to me or is deliberately teasing.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
So guys what were your most wanted characters before the smash 4 announcement here are mine 1.Ridley 2.Mega Man 3.Palutena 4.Little Mac 5.Pacman.
Not sure if Sakurai listens to me or is deliberately teasing.
If you mean newcomers. I was initially just hoping for Mewtwo (I know he's not a "true" newcomer) because that was the only character I really thought had a chance, that I personally really wanted in the game. Never gave Ridley a thought because I never really expected him to be playable. Coming here sure changed my mind, though. Aside from those two. I always thought Sakurai knew what was best, roster-wise. So I've never made a "wish-list." That just opens you up for disappointment most of the time.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm kind of expecting "Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley" to be an alternate costume, or at the very least a palette swap with the same coloration.

We seem to be getting much more customized appearances than last Smash games.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
You know, I'm curious on how long Smashboards will be down once Ridley is announced....I mean, it crashed due to Meta Knight....
Wait...
Could it be an Apocalypse for the site?!?!?

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I'm kind of expecting "Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley" to be an alternate costume, or at the very least a palette swap with the same coloration.

We seem to be getting much more customized appearances than last Smash games.
If not, then save it on the "Project M for Wii U" wishlist.

Jgt044

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wii U: Jgt044
3DS FC
1005-9641-7502
Question: What song will you blast to celebrate Ridley being playable? Mine personally is "We are the Champions" by Queen.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Just beat Ridley for the first time in Other M.

First boss fight I've enjoyed in that game. The others were meh. Having to super missile off his armor actually required looking at his attack patterns. Was fun. Gotta say, friendly characters other than Samus always seem to drop like flies in Metroid games.

Hearing Ridley's theme though... it was too much. Now I'm hyped again. I just needa know when the next direct is >.<

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
Just beat Ridley for the first time in Other M.

First boss fight I've enjoyed in that game. The others were meh. Having to super missile off his armor actually required looking at his attack patterns. Was fun. Gotta say, friendly characters other than Samus always seem to drop like flies in Metroid games.

Hearing Ridley's theme though... it was too much. Now I'm hyped again. I just needa know when the next direct is >.<
I always considered the Ridley part to be both the high and low point for the game high for the boss fight low for Samuse's breakdown.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I always considered the Ridley part to be both the high and low point for the game high for the boss fight low for Samuse's breakdown.
The breakdown wasn't bad because compared to most of the other cutscenes in the game thus far, it was quite short. Plus it was a neat segue to the whole grinding samus against a wall thing.

I think with Ridley engaged, I'm going to call it a night though, I've been playing that all day, lol.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
The breakdown wasn't bad because compared to most of the other cutscenes in the game thus far, it was quite short. Plus it was a neat segue to the whole grinding samus against a wall thing.

I think with Ridley engaged, I'm going to call it a night though, I've been playing that all day, lol.
Yeah well still doesn't make much sense considering the previous appearances of Ridley and Samuse's Usual reaction. (Witch Is always guns blazing.)

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Welcome to the boards

Let me leave this here

Post again once ridley is confirmed.

Why did you have to appeal to the Spongebob lover I am? Now I can't just lurk. :(

I would just bust my ear drums listening to Ridley's theme from Super Metroid. Not exactly victorious but I do love it so very much.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace

Am I the only one who noticed Charizard got wing extensions=???

They look a little wider and longer.
Maybe they were lengthened when he was brought over really early in development to test the idea meant originally for a newcomer.

I naturally believe this newcomer to be Argorok, Zelda's villain newcomer.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Am I the only one who noticed Charizard got wing extensions=???

They look a little wider and longer.
That's been posted before, I believe.

Looking back at the 10 seconds of footage in the second post, I can't help but notice that Ridley's shadow seems more lifelike animation-wise compared to his boss appearance in Brawl. I mean when he flies to the center of the screen, it seems to be similar to the way he appeared in his pre-battle cutscene in Zero Mission.

Look at the sprites on the lower left corner.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
You know, I really hope that whatever Ridley design gets in, it's appropriately emancipated looking. Whenever he has muscle mass, he looks too much like a dude in a dragon costume and not a terrifying space creature.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You know, I really hope that whatever Ridley design gets in, it's appropriately emancipated looking. Whenever he has muscle mass, he looks too much like a dude in a dragon costume and not a terrifying space creature.
"Emaciated". "Emancipated" would imply that Ridley was a slave, or held captive.

Wait, is that why it's taken him so long to get in? Did he have to break free from some horrible imprisonment?

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
new pic of the day. as usual, no ridley

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Gross now I hardly even want him lol
Why does everyone hate Other M Ridley's design?

Literally if anything you should bow down to him for making your favorite anorexic space pirate even considerable.

It's because of him that Ridley can be sized down and proportioned properly, it's because of him that our lovable purple dragon death god even has a chance.

Let's be honest here, Brawley or Classicley look pretty weird sized down unless done JUST right. Roidley looks absolutely fan-f***ing-tastic sized down anyway you slice it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Pretty confident. We've confirmed that he at least has the Other M wings and tail. Although that was a while ago, everything is subject to change.
Where was this analysis?

Literally if anything you should bow down to him for making your favorite anorexic space pirate even considerable.
It's because of him that Ridley can be sized down and proportioned properly, it's because of him that our lovable purple dragon death god even has a chance.
Let's be honest here, Brawley or Classicley look pretty weird sized down unless done JUST right. Roidley looks absolutely fan-f***ing-tastic sized down anyway you slice it.
So, Melee Ridley can't work?

Roidley just looks dumb. Too hulking, too bulky, and with a ridiculous face on top of it.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
So, Melee Ridley can't work?

Roidley just looks dumb. Too hulking, too bulky, and with a ridiculous face on top of it.
"Unless done JUST right"

Look, I understand your gripes about big muscles, but Classic Ridley had a ridiculous face too. Both of them look incredibly goofy from the front. Ridley is one if those characters who really only looks good from the side or at an angle. (Except in zero mission, that design was so good.)

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

He looks bad. That simple. I don't see why he'd look better scaled down than zero mission or meta ridley. Not like anyone expects them to use his weird classic sprites where he has an enormous head

Last edited:
Top Bottom