• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Potentially less then a week till d-day and this thread is collapsing in on itself. Come on guys, surely we can keep it together just a little longer?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
He just needs to be confirmed so I can stop wasting my life arguing with uneducated morons on the internet.

I'm not even 100% on his inclusion, I just know that people are stubborn morons.

World needs less stubborn morons.
I'll help the balance by being a complacent moron then

Potentially less then a week till d-day and this thread is collapsing in on itself. Come on guys, surely we can keep it together just a little longer?
I mean, I've already started filling the gap by playing through Other M

take that to mean what you will

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
So I finally started Other M. Got to the point where the killer starts killing off the crew, and I beat the giant fork lift.

It's a decent game so far, but it... it doesn't feel very Metroid. It feels like they tried to cross the Prime series with Fusion or something and it came out alright but a lot of it didn't translate well. Some of the controls are awkward, and having to not move to be in first person is dumb in theory and practice. I don't know how that got past the drawing board.

The extensive cut scenes started out alright. I liked the exposition, the Metroid universe always felt a little sparse. But... they just drone on. However, they are giving Ridley some needed spotlight, so I won't complain.

I've gotten through little birdie and onto mysterious creature. Can't wait for the full on fight which I'm sure comes later.

Over all enjoying the game, but not loving it like I loved the prime series. I really miss scanning everything. And seeing Samus run everywhere feels weird, but the walk scenes are even worse...
That's pretty much how I view the game, except for the last part about seeing Samus running around is weird that and the twist they pull a bit later into the game to me is just dumb
I'll help the balance by being a complacent moron then

I mean, I've already started filling the gap by playing through Other M

take that to mean what you will
And now that I'm reading the manga that might help too, but then again, I'm one of the more quiet people on this thread so it probably doesn't make a big difference

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
In other words, yes, you would want him replaced because of not including Ridley.
Don't try to mask it under statements like "and not because Ridley didn't get in"; it's not convincing in the slightest.
No, that isn't what I said at all. I would think the same thing for other characters getting in, for example if Bowser were excluded for the same reasons, I would think the same thing. It's not because the character was excluded, it's because of the reason why it was; a reason no character should ever be excluded by because a competent director would be able to overcome such a reason, and would not have to apply it to characters when choosing the roster.

In other words, I'm masking nothing. You're looking into what I said too deeply and finding something that isn't there. I'm not so shallow as to want a director sacked for the exclusion of a single character. It's the ridiculous reason, sort of similar to a reason like "____ wouldn't be able to make any expressions that you'd be able to tell". If that were a reason for exclusion (which it isn't) then I would think the same thing.

If I wanted him gone because of no Ridley, I would have said I wanted him gone because of no Ridley. I would not lie about such a trivial matter, and even then I'm not petty enough to want someone fired over a character.

On top of that, why would I lie? Why wouldn't I just say the words you're telling me I'm saying, if you're correct? This is the Ridley thread. I wouldn't be intimidated to post that on the Ridley thread. I'd get a couple of people telling me I was wrong, but overall, who would care?

Mind your own opinion, and don't try to tell me what my opinion is due to assumptions you make regarding what I've said. Thank you.

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
@ Nietona Nietona , so it's on the grounds of Sakurai's hypothetical design philosophy. I feel the same way; if Smash 4 ends up being too non-competitive, comparable to how bad Brawl was in that front. Or if the reasons for inclusion or exclusion of certain characters or features are just bs and reflect a totally backwards design philosophy. If these are the the case this time around, I'd want a different director and a different team working on Smash 5. However, I don't think Smash 4 will really let us down like that, or at least not substantially. I expect some disappointment, but nothing drastic like Brawl was for me.

The way I see it, if Sakurai really does want to stop making Smash Bros. games (as he's said on several occasions) and if the fans are displeased enough by this iteration of Smash, then he should pass on the series to someone more willing and capable. However, I do believe Sakurai and the Smash Team are completely competent this time around.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Off-topic/Spam Warning Received
5 New characters? What do you mean by new? Where did this come from?

Edit:
Dang. I asked @ChronoBound a serious question and he has not answered. This is pretty serious in regards to what Project M is doing. I find it impossible for PM to input new characters without having something to work off of such as Mewtwo and Roy from Melee. Adding new characters that are already appearing in the new sequel could lead to legal trouble since it will lead to some sale decline of the new game. Nintendo will have none of that. If PM does plan on releasing new characters like you have stated they better be smart on their approach. For not clarifying, I am pretty salty.
Wait, Five?
...:144:....:145:....:146:...
But there's only :younglinkmelee: and :pichumelee: left for Melee, :mewtwomelee: and :roymelee: are already in and :drmario: is an Alt. Costume.
So if both :younglinkmelee: AND :pichumelee: join as seperate Characters, there's still one more Character left. :mewtwomelee::roymelee::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::drmario: - :drmario: (Alt. Costume, not new character) = 4/5.
I think we may have a dilema on our hands.
Here, let me clarify some things for you.

Project M's clone engine allows for no more than seven extra characters. Two of those are taken up by Roy and Mewtwo, leaving five extra at this time. They've already confirmed they won't be making characters already confirmed for Smash 4, and they're only choosing from characters who were licensed to be in Brawl in the first place; if a character was a trophy, sticker, assist trophy, background character, or whatever, they're eligible for the clone engine (so no Simon Belmont or anything like that).

Additionally, a while back there was a leak that suggested that Skull Kid, Knuckles, Sami from Advance Wars, Isaac, and Lyn were planned characters in development to fill those slots. Various other things shown along with the characters have since been confirmed to be real, so it seems like the leak was legitimate; however, currently no clone engine characters beyond Roy and Mewtwo have been confirmed.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That's pretty much how I view the game, except for the last part about seeing Samus running around is weird that and the twist they pull a bit later into the game to me is just dumb

And now that I'm reading the manga that might help too, but then again, I'm one of the more quiet people on this thread so it probably doesn't make a big difference
I read sooo much manga... Like, a lot of manga. Unfortunately they all update slowly.

I'm hoping they announce a Nintendo general direct for next week tomorrow. I'm going to cry.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Additionally, a while back there was a leak that suggested that Skull Kid, Knuckles, Sami from Advance Wars, Isaac, and Lyn were planned characters in development to fill those slots. Various other things shown along with the characters have since been confirmed to be real, so it seems like the leak was legitimate; however, currently no clone engine characters beyond Roy and Mewtwo have been confirmed.
Wait, really? Where is this leak? I need to see it!

EDIT: Wait, was it that leak that had a "new" character select screen with Waluigi, Isaac, Sami, Knuckles, Lyn, and Skull Kid? Because I'm pretty sure that was fake as all hell.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So what would you guys like to be Ridley's alternate costume if he had one?
Ooh, a first post. Welcome, welcome to the boards, and to the Ridley thread. You've made a good choice.

I for one would love to see a Meta Ridley or a Brawl Ridley alt, assuming Other M Ridley is the default.

Also Ridley from Nintendo land would be baller, but I don't see that happening xD

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ooh, a first post. Welcome, welcome to the boards, and to the Ridley thread. You've made a good choice.

I for one would love to see a Meta Ridley or a Brawl Ridley alt, assuming Other M Ridley is the default.

Also Ridley from Nintendo land would be baller, but I don't see that happening xD
I agree with all of those.

Nintendo Land Ridley would be awesome, and Meta Ridley is my favorite.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I read sooo much manga... Like, a lot of manga. Unfortunately they all update slowly.

I'm hoping they announce a Nintendo general direct for next week tomorrow. I'm going to cry.
I am not an anime/manga person, but because it's Metroid I like it, and have already found some funny stuff involving our purple space friend

So what would you guys like to be Ridley's alternate costume if he had one?
If Meta/Omega Ridley is his final smash (either of them I mean, I know they aren't the same) then preferably classic Ridley, would be funny playing as this hilariously bad thing

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
-u- After many days of work...they are finally done! the Ridley Coasters!
10559933_664111593670413_1997105683410318641_n - Copy.jpg

=u= Obviously, since these are my very first ones, they didn't came out perfect...but who cares? they are Ridley Coasters!

The red one was a tryout with red vinyl...but personally, I prefer them translucent.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I figured as such.

Does anyone know what Sakurai is saying in Japanese, though? It's probably nothing, but it might hold some info.

EDIT: It looks like I mis-transcribed the written text, and it had one unnecessary character. The actual text reads:

Translated:
I think I have a decent grasp of the Japanese language, although my vocab is pretty sad.
So we have this
他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場
It pretty much means
他にもボスキャラ Other boss characters
系の system's
仕掛けが gimmick
登場 appear
Put in the right order, it would loosely mean "Other boss characters also appear in system gimmicks."
Take that as you wish, but it sounds to me like it's talking about stage hazards =/

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
@ Nietona Nietona , so it's on the grounds of Sakurai's hypothetical design philosophy. I feel the same way; if Smash 4 ends up being too non-competitive, comparable to how bad Brawl was in that front. Or if the reasons for inclusion or exclusion of certain characters or features are just bs and reflect a totally backwards design philosophy. If these are the the case this time around, I'd want a different director and a different team working on Smash 5. However, I don't think Smash 4 will really let us down like that, or at least not substantially. I expect some disappointment, but nothing drastic like Brawl was for me.

The way I see it, if Sakurai really does want to stop making Smash Bros. games (as he's said on several occasions) and if the fans are displeased enough by this iteration of Smash, then he should pass on the series to someone more willing and capable. However, I do believe Sakurai and the Smash Team are completely competent this time around.
I won't deny that I wasn't around competitively for really anything when Brawl was out, honestly. It's only since then that I got into stuff, and I only recently learned about Brawl's tiers and whatnot, like Meta Knight being OP and all that. I posted my post with the intention of saying that bad design and traits like a character being "too big" (which I use as an example of what would be bad criteria for character choosing and not to refer to Ridley specifically) would be enough for me to want a new director that didn't share these views. I honestly don't see where anyone could have gotten "No Ridley? Fire him" from in my post without inferring that first. I know I'm bad with words and I make no secret of that, but I swear that I wasn't masking anything. The response telling me to stop "masking" things honestly came as a total surprise to me.

It's like excluding Shulk because he has a sword, despite how Shulk isn't an ordinary sword-wielder. That would be crappy design, and I would think the exact same thing as I would if Sakurai were to exclude Ridley for being too big.

I don't believe Sakurai's going to exclude him for being too big. If Ridley's excluded, it's to show off the new stage boss gimmick.

I don't think we need a new team or director at all, nor do I think we will need one. However, if Sakurai were to exclude characters due to some rubbish criteria that really shouldn't exist, even if Ridley made it in, I wouldn't hesitate to question Sakurai's competence. If it's relating to gameplay, I understand. If it's related to something like series canon or appearance or something else trivial like that, I absolutely do not understand and I dislike the decision.

I'm excited for the game either way. Yes, as I've said before Ridley is a large part of making or breaking the roster for me. I'll still buy the game, however, because I love the way it looks. SSB4 is the Chronophantasma to Brawl's Continuum Shift. Faster paced and more tense; I won't cry or lash out at the director if Ridley isn't in, although I will be more than a bit upset.

On the topic of faster-paced action, if Ridley does get in, I'll be happy that he managed it in the game of the series that's fast paced and apparently much more balanced, even if he did deserve to appear sooner.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna say if Ridley makes it to Smash 4, I'll personally stop trying to request ridley be in other smash games. The times that would be had if made it in even one game would be beautiful.

I'm without a doubt getting Smash 4, playable Ridley would be a wonderful bonus though.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
@GoldenYuiitusin

Now that I go back and give it another look, I can see how you thought I meant that I'd want Sakurai fired if Ridley didn't get in. I apologise for the misunderstanding, although I still stand firm stating that I did not mean that even slightly.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I think I have a decent grasp of the Japanese language, although my vocab is pretty sad.
So we have this
他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場
It pretty much means
他にもボスキャラ Other boss characters
系の system's
仕掛けが gimmick
登場 appear
Put in the right order, it would loosely mean "Other boss characters also appear in system gimmicks."
Take that as you wish, but it sounds to me like it's talking about stage hazards =/
I guess that actually might be a useful translation. Since it does specify that the phrase "boss characters" in the English direct actually is talking about the boss gimmick.

I won't deny that I wasn't around competitively for really anything when Brawl was out, honestly. It's only since then that I got into stuff, and I only recently learned about Brawl's tiers and whatnot, like Meta Knight being OP and all that. I posted my post with the intention of saying that bad design and traits like a character being "too big" (which I use as an example of what would be bad criteria for character choosing and not to refer to Ridley specifically) would be enough for me to want a new director that didn't share these views. I honestly don't see where anyone could have gotten "No Ridley? Fire him" from in my post without inferring that first. I know I'm bad with words and I make no secret of that, but I swear that I wasn't masking anything. The response telling me to stop "masking" things honestly came as a total surprise to me.

It's like excluding Shulk because he has a sword, despite how Shulk isn't an ordinary sword-wielder. That would be crappy design, and I would think the exact same thing as I would if Sakurai were to exclude Ridley for being too big.

I don't believe Sakurai's going to exclude him for being too big. If Ridley's excluded, it's to show off the new stage boss gimmick.

I don't think we need a new team or director at all, nor do I think we will need one. However, if Sakurai were to exclude characters due to some rubbish criteria that really shouldn't exist, even if Ridley made it in, I wouldn't hesitate to question Sakurai's competence. If it's relating to gameplay, I understand. If it's related to something like series canon or appearance or something else trivial like that, I absolutely do not understand and I dislike the decision.
Yeah, but there is the possibility that the Smash Team just won't have enough time for some of these characters (Ridley excluded). I understand if such characters are cut due to time constraints, but if they give a bs reason instead, that will definitely reflect poorly on them. I'm personally excited for this iteration of Smash as well, and even if the dev team/Sakurai does make bs excuses, then I'm gonna be pissed, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference for my purchase decisions.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I am not an anime/manga person, but because it's Metroid I like it, and have already found some funny stuff involving our purple space friend

If Meta/Omega Ridley is his final smash (either of them I mean, I know they aren't the same) then preferably classic Ridley, would be funny playing as this hilariously bad thing
Well, figured out how Ridley's getting into Smash this time
Wow!
Ridley looks awesome in this manga.

D

Deleted member

No, that isn't what I said at all. I would think the same thing for other characters getting in, for example if Bowser were excluded for the same reasons, I would think the same thing. It's not because the character was excluded, it's because of the reason why it was; a reason no character should ever be excluded by because a competent director would be able to overcome such a reason, and would not have to apply it to characters when choosing the roster.
Hypothetically speaking, if the reasoning Sakurai used was "too big", it wouldn't be a matter of him being too incompetent to make Ridley a viable size, it would be that Sakurai didn't want to alter Ridley's size just to make him work as a playable character. A questionable decision, but not one that reflects on Sakurai's ability.
Changing the director wouldn't solve the issue; the next one after Sakurai could also not want to alter Ridley's size to anything less than "normal" for example.
Didn't really want to delve deep into this point, but oh well...

In other words, I'm masking nothing. You're looking into what I said too deeply and finding something that isn't there. I'm not so shallow as to want a director sacked for the exclusion of a single character. It's the ridiculous reason, sort of similar to a reason like "____ wouldn't be able to make any expressions that you'd be able to tell". If that were a reason for exclusion (which it isn't) then I would think the same thing.
So...if Sakurai literally said nothing as to why Ridley was not playable, or gave reasoning that didn't amount to "too big", you would not want him replaced over Ridley's non-playability?
If this is true, this is not the impression I got from reading your previous posts.

If I wanted him gone because of no Ridley, I would have said I wanted him gone because of no Ridley. I would not lie about such a trivial matter, and even then I'm not petty enough to want someone fired over a character.

On top of that, why would I lie? Why wouldn't I just say the words you're telling me I'm saying, if you're correct? This is the Ridley thread. I wouldn't be intimidated to post that on the Ridley thread. I'd get a couple of people telling me I was wrong, but overall, who would care?
I can't tell what people are thinking and why they personally do what they do, especially not through text. All I can gather is what is being said, and what was being said came off of contradiction/masking. May not have been your intent, but it's what was perceived.
I don't know you. I don't know how you think. How would I know if you would lie or why you would? You could be lying to me right now, and I wouldn't know it. All you can give me is your word. All I can do is either trust it or distrust it.

Mind your own opinion, and don't try to tell me what my opinion is due to assumptions you make regarding what I've said. Thank you.
Dial down the dickery; I've managed to be civil in this conversation, but I can get very uncivil very quickly if you so choose.

@GoldenYuiitusin
Now that I go back and give it another look, I can see how you thought I meant that I'd want Sakurai fired if Ridley didn't get in. I apologise for the misunderstanding, although I still stand firm stating that I did not mean that even slightly.
I see. Thanks for clearing this up. Wish I had seen this before I made this post, though....

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was just testing out the options I didn't mean to break it! :c
Haha don't worry man just messing around. It's just weird to see empty posts usually the board doesn't let that happen.
Just make sure you know the basic rules (there's a section for that somewhere) like no spam or double posting and you'll be fine.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
[/quote]
Looks like a xenomorph.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
Haha don't worry man just messing around. It's just weird to see empty posts usually the board doesn't let that happen.
Just make sure you know the basic rules (there's a section for that somewhere) like no spam or double posting and you'll be fine.
Thanks it was supposed to be a reply to your earlier post but I accidentally deleted it and didn't realize it until I already posted it speaking of I'm surprised nintendo land ridley never came to mind for alts.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I won't carry this on. I apologise for being uncivil, and while I still wouldn't agree with Sakurai's decision personally if he were to exclude a character due to something like size, I understand your points.

I see. Thanks for clearing this up. Wish I had seen this before I made this post, though....
It's all good. I admit that I could have worded what I put quite a bit better than I did, with a good few of the posts I'd made, so sorry on that front. Never intended an argument to start about it, either way.

Top Bottom