• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
He looks bad. That simple. I don't see why he'd look better scaled down than zero mission or meta ridley. Not like anyone expects them to use his weird classic sprites where he has an enormous head
It's always that bendy straw pencil neck that ruins it for me. Ridley as a character has the weirdest proportions I've seen on a video game character. Beefy legs but semi-lanky arms and a scrawny body, tiny bee wings-massive wings and an elongated beak with an almost always visible overbite. Roidley looks overly muscly, yes, but compared to Ridley's other designs, in my personal preference, he looks the best sized down.

I honestly shouldn't have been so bold with my last statement, but I seriously never understood the community wide hate for Roidley's design.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Forget all of yall Other M Ridley haters, he looks awesome, the spikes are awesome, his claws look awesome, His wings are sick looking, and those muscles...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's been posted before, I believe.

Looking back at the 10 seconds of footage in the second post, I can't help but notice that Ridley's shadow seems more lifelike animation-wise compared to his boss appearance in Brawl. I mean when he flies to the center of the screen, it seems to be similar to the way he appeared in his pre-battle cutscene in Zero Mission.

Look at the sprites on the lower left corner.
Hmmm...

...I mean, it is interesting to think that his wings might be made smaller, but I think given Meta Knight and Charizard and how their wings look very expansive that I think the same thing will be true of Ridley.

Also, does anyone happen to have a side by side Meta Knight wings vs. Ridley wings (from the small clip of him)=???

I wanna compare. *rubs hands together*

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Forget all of yall Other M Ridley haters, he looks awesome, the spikes are awesome, his claws look awesome, His wings are sick looking, and those muscles...

Alright, that gif is begging to have roidley's face plastered right on it. It's almost too perfect. Someone please, for the reveal, for the forum, for the world.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Could someone repost the part of the analysis that demonstrated which wing and tail models were used in the tease?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I was considered foolish for being sceptical of Gematsu,
I was called delusional for wanting Pac-man and Mii's
I was ridiculed for wishing for Megaman
and now I'm delusional for standing with y'all, believing in Ridley.
I was called a "pedophile" for hosting a Toon Link thread on IGN.

I was 14 at the time.

Technically that's not even possible, lmao!!!

===

And I've been called "delusional" and "stupid" for being vocal about wanting Ridley on Smash ever since my days on GameFAQs back in like 2002 or 2003 or whenever I first joined.

But you know what makes my "delusions" better=???

They are, in actuality, real "delusions". ;)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I was called a "pedophile" for hosting a Toon Link thread on IGN.

I was 14 at the time.

Technically that's not even possible, lmao!!!

===

And I've been called "delusional" and "stupid" for being vocal about wanting Ridley on Smash ever since my days on GameFAQs back in like 2002 or 2003 or whenever I first joined.

But you know what makes my "delusions" better=???

They are, in actuality, real "delusions". ;)
This makes me think...never changes your opinion for being assaulted like this.

It took me months to realise this when I came here. I said the opposite of my belief because I tough it was "safe" when it's not "bad". I was just to ashamed to be in the minority while it's actually a good thing to see things differently.

Tough, it's annoying that I had to wait a month because of terrible debates conditions here which made it too annoying for me to say anything until the dust vanished.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
When exactly did we get info on the Newcomer Trailer last month again?

Because I'm wondering if there will later be an announcement for SSB4 regarding the next newcomer reveal. I remember the last one being announced sometime after the PotD for Friday.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
lol i like how when ridley's shadow is revealed to deconfirm ridley everyone jumps to deep analytical conclusions and say that it means ridley confirmed.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Here's another thing that might help Ridley's chances:

It say's "Super Smash Bros Heroes-Offers: Newcomers".
Another sale happens to be between August 21th and August 28th for some veteran fighter's games.
Since the first sale specifically mentions heroes, there might be another sale for villains. At least it would make sense regarding the choices of naming the sales. However, we need more villains revealed to have the "Villain- offers - Newcomers" sale. Ridley in a villain trailer? That'd be cool.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Sup guys, PotD is mildly uninteresting. No Ridley once again.

You know, I'm curious on how long Smashboards will be down once Ridley is announced....I mean, it crashed due to Meta Knight....
Wait...
Could it be an Apocalypse for the site?!?!?
The servers will unplug themselves and try to escape the building.

lol i like how when ridley's shadow is revealed to deconfirm ridley everyone jumps to deep analytical conclusions and say that it means ridley confirmed.
Fool! We have honed our straw-grasping skills for decades! Given enough time, we could grasp the straws so hard and efficiently we could create a reality of our own! A reality large enough to host our master!

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I actually don't want Roidly cause he's the clone of the original.

I'd actually feel back stabbed if the original one didn't make playable status.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This makes me think...never changes your opinion for being assaulted like this.

It took me months to realise this when I came here. I said the opposite of my belief because I tough it was "safe" when it's not "bad". I was just to ashamed to be in the minority while it's actually a good thing to see things differently.

Tough, it's annoying that I had to wait a month because of terrible debates conditions here which made it too annoying for me to say anything until the dust vanished.
Agreed.

Have an ego guys.

Not an "oh I'm better than you" ego, but rather "I'm better than the crap you're giving me" and "I believe in who I am, and I won't change for the worse because someone tells me to" kind of ego.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Less than one month before release, and we have a huge lack of villains... we have Bowser and King DeDeDe, and eventually Meta Knight, but that's all.
Something is wrong. A villain trailer seems more likely now.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't want Roidly cause he's the clone of the original.

I'd actually feel back stabbed if the original one didn't make playable status.
You know what's interesting? Because he's a clone, original Ridley should look exactly like Roidley.
So the argument that Roidley is not the original is out of the window. We may get the original Ridley,
but with Other M's design. Ridley's design changed in every game since the original, since every time he was interpreted differently.

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
You know what's interesting? Because he's a clone, original Ridley should look exactly like Roidley.
SHOULD, except he looks like a body building, protein guzzler on Jersey Shore with a duck face.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I find it funny how this clone, with his people-upsetting bill, transforms into the Ridley incarnation with the large hooked beak.

SHOULD, except he looks like a body building, protein guzzler on Jersey Shore with a duck face.
Wait, Jersey Shore has dragons?

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Less than one month before release, and we have a huge lack of villains... we have Bowser and King DeDeDe, and eventually Meta Knight, but that's all.
Something is wrong. A villain trailer seems more likely now.
Well, Bowser, Dedede and MK aren't really villains anyways. They all helped the protagonist a few times.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
That's a quite fitting comparison.
Give Ridley a cap, sunglases, steroids, let him pick up some space dragon girls every night and add a little milk.
Mix these ingredients, put them in the stove and you'll get Jersey Shore (Ste-)Roidley.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo is a mutated clone. Optimized by men, to be superior to Mew.
Similar like Omega Ridley or Meta Ridley are better versions of the original Ridley,
created by Space Pirates.
Roidley was created by men, out of some DNA that was left on Samus' Varia Suit.
They recreated the original Ridley, without changing the DNA.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mewtwo is a mutated clone. Optimized by men, to be superior to Mew.
Similar like Omega Ridley or Meta Ridley are better versions of the original Ridley,
created by Space Pirates.
Roidley was created by men, out of some DNA that was left on Samus' Varia Suit.
They recreated the original Ridley, without changing the DNA.
Meta Ridley and Omega Ridley is the original Ridley, just with armor. Roidley and Ridley-X are the only clones, the further Ridley is cloned the most misshapen he becomes.

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I can't see them blowing all their firepower just on a villains trailer but I'll see if I can conjure one up

>set in Pyrosphere like all Ridley trailers
>Samus, DK, Link and Mario all investigating it
>sudden cannonball sounds on the outside
>cannonball makes it through on one shot
>everyone is like wtf yo
>out of nowhere K. Rool riding Ridley busts through
>K. ROOL MAKES A SPLASH
>K. Rool gameplay
>zooms out from the duo
>viewers wondering what about Ridley?
>meanwhile, Wario is pickpocketing our 4 heroes as they look at awe at the green and purple wonders
>Shady figure slowly walks out of the hole in the wall
>Ganondorf, hyrule warriors design
>new gameplay of the Dorf with sword moves as well
>no one cares though, what about Ridley?
>Further trolling as Samus gets hacked into her communications by none other than
>Wolf
>Snake makes cameo during this conversation with Samus and Wolf
>Snake's line is
>Whoops, wrong game
>Trailer ends abruptly with a black screen
>Sword slowly shines in as a close up
>lolwat.jpg
>slowly see a tongue lick up the sword
>viewers still going crazy over wtf Ridley is
>end of whole trailer
>Sakurai completely blew us off wtf
>Sakurai says
>we have something BIG in store for our purple friend
>another month of speculation
>game comes out
>Ridley is unlockable with a note showing you a code as to how to unlock him as a playable character in the other 3 older smash bros
>He was playable all along

The end

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Meta Ridley and Omega Ridley is the original Ridley, just with armor. Roidley and Ridley-X are the only clones, the further Ridley is cloned the most misshapen he becomes.
I didn't say that they were cloned, just optimized. In another way than Mewtwo was.
I didn't play Fusion, so I didn't know much about Ridley X.
He seems better for a comparison to Mewtwo than the two I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't see them blowing all their firepower just on a villains trailer but I'll see if I can conjure one up

>set in Pyrosphere like all Ridley trailers
>Samus, DK, Link and Mario all investigating it
>sudden cannonball sounds on the outside
>cannonball makes it through on one shot
>everyone is like wtf yo
>out of nowhere K. Rool riding Ridley busts through
>K. ROOL MAKES A SPLASH
>K. Rool gameplay
>zooms out from the duo
>viewers wondering what about Ridley?
>meanwhile, Wario is pickpocketing our 4 heroes as they look at awe at the green and purple wonders
>Shady figure slowly walks out of the hole in the wall
>Ganondorf, hyrule warriors design
>new gameplay of the Dorf with sword moves as well
>no one cares though, what about Ridley?
>Further trolling as Samus gets hacked into her communications by none other than
>Wolf
>Snake makes cameo during this conversation with Samus and Wolf
>Snake's line is
>Whoops, wrong game
>Trailer ends abruptly with a black screen
>Sword slowly shines in as a close up
>lolwat.jpg
>slowly see a tongue lick up the sword
>viewers still going crazy over wtf Ridley is
>end of whole trailer
>Sakurai completely blew us off wtf
>Sakurai says
>we have something BIG in store for our purple friend
>another month of speculation
>game comes out
>Ridley is unlockable with a note showing you a code as to how to unlock him as a playable character in the other 3 older smash bros
>He was playable all along

The end
I don'y want anymore teasing! Just end this debate by making him playable!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't think Robin has aerial smash attacks

I think Robin has multiple moves for each aerial, which can be used depending on whether you input a smash or not

that being said, this is still a new thing, which means aerial smash attacks in other newcomers are not farfetched

however I don't think Ridley would have aerial smashes idk I just personally don't like that idea
Well if Ridley wouldn't have aerial smashes (in the event that he's playable), who the hell would?

Just beat Ridley for the first time in Other M.

First boss fight I've enjoyed in that game. The others were meh. Having to super missile off his armor actually required looking at his attack patterns. Was fun. Gotta say, friendly characters other than Samus always seem to drop like flies in Metroid games.

Hearing Ridley's theme though... it was too much. Now I'm hyped again. I just needa know when the next direct is >.<
*insert "I told you so's" here about how Ridley's Other M battle was in fact one of his best from a pure boss fight standpoint*=p

Glad you enjoyed it. Can pretty much agree on the other bosses in the game though in that they were meh, or at least most of them.

Why does everyone hate Other M Ridley's design?

Literally if anything you should bow down to him for making your favorite anorexic space pirate even considerable.

It's because of him that Ridley can be sized down and proportioned properly, it's because of him that our lovable purple dragon death god even has a chance.

Let's be honest here, Brawley or Classicley look pretty weird sized down unless done JUST right. Roidley looks absolutely fan-f***ing-tastic sized down anyway you slice it.
While I think you might be giving Roidley a little too much credit there arguably, fans for the most part have actually become more accepting of him now, compared to like before the first Sm4sh E3 where you would get shot down for even suggesting the Other M design be used in any form or fashion. While there's still those occasional people who would hardly want or be interested in Ridley at all if he got the Other M design, they're not really the majority. Pencil-necked lanky lizard, or beefed up clone with a different shaped beak, you'd still be playing as Ridley at the end of the day, far as I'm concerned.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
If you told someone right after the release of Brawl that Pac-Man, Mega-Man and Mii's would be in the next game they'd likely think you were stupid, there were even people who thought the same not that long ago, and look we have those characters now. So true anything can change and has.

and just a little rant about the playable boss idea..

I know this is going to sound like a broken record, and yes Nintendo could just be keeping the Wii U features under wraps to give more attention to the 3DS version, but there's no way Sakurai would give teasers about Ridley just for to reveal as some stupid boss gimmick, the amount of direct information/feedback about possible playable characters been de-confirmed is impossible to ignore now. And like people have said countless times, bosses like the Yellow Devil wouldn't work being controlled by a player, even if it was lacklustre.
I'll go play Devils Advocate here for a second : I COULD - should playable bosses be a thing - imagine a way for yellow devil to work (it'd be lackluster, sure, but it would work if Sakurai was a sadist) : The player with the Wii-U-Pad would have a grid layed over Yellow Devil and could choose which block should be sent to the other side next, as well as when to "IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZ0R".

Anyway, b2R : I really hope Sakruai will finally get this over with, this uncertainty is starting to detoriate my nerves.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
i like how ridley shadow is shown and then you guys go into the deepest details to make it seem like its a playable character when obviously sakurai mentioned it on the topic of stage bosses.

I dont see how that could not be a stage hazard ridley even after everything sakurai has said to obviously hint that ridley wont be in.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Anyway, b2R : I really hope Sakruai will finally get this over with, this uncertainty is starting to detoriate my nerves.
You have at least until the 20th.

If not then, don't expect anything until the 3rd of next month.

i like how ridley shadow is shown and then you guys go into the deepest details to make it seem like its a playable character when obviously sakurai mentioned it on the topic of stage bosses.
I dont see how that could not be a stage hazard ridley even after everything sakurai has said to obviously hint that ridley wont be in.
How about the fact that Sakurai has outright stated EVERY OTHER non playable character, with Ridley as the ONLY one he has "obviously hint(ed)" at?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I like how you reposted the close to the same post as you did three hours ago because no one replied to it.

The main factor here is that Sakurai's actions towards Ridley are unlike anything we've seen thus far.

Besides, while I do think that Ridley is probably a boss, I'm starting to think he's both a boss and playable (though not a "playable boss" as I think that would end up horribly if Yellow Devil is anything to go by).

Stuff be weird yo.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Alright, that gif is begging to have roidley's face plastered right on it. It's almost too perfect. Someone please, for the reveal, for the forum, for the world.
Ask and you shall receive. I hope this doesn't go unnoticed. I actually put a lot of effort into this >.>

Sorry for the poor quality. Also, not Roidley. But w/e

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ask and you shall receive. I hope this doesn't go unnoticed. I actually put a lot of effort into this >.>

Sorry for the poor quality. Also, not Roidley. But w/e
Let me just say, I am really not a fan of body-building. At all.

But this is epic. Good work.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Lol okay. Tell us where Sakurai stated that Ridley is a stage hazard, and show us pictures of him in action. And no, I don't mean a shadow in some weird angle shot, I want definite proof.

Are you another leaker, perhaps? :p

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I had hypothesized the Ridley + Mewtwo reveal to come ten days before the Japanese launch, in the same way the Ganondorf reveal came ten days before the Japanese launch of Hyrule Warriors. However, I also noticed that would put the announcement precisely one month from the American launch as well. It really does seem the perfect hype moment for that reveal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I had hypothesized the Ridley + Mewtwo reveal to come ten days before the Japanese launch, in the same way the Ganondorf reveal came ten days before the Japanese launch of Hyrule Warriors. However, I also noticed that would put the announcement precisely one month from the American launch as well. It really does seem the perfect hype moment for that reveal.
I think that we should get Riddles Mckizzles revealed on the 20th, and then the 3rd shows a newcomer Japan wants

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I think that we should get Riddles Mckizzles revealed on the 20th, and then the 3rd shows a newcomer Japan wants
I believe Japan has it's most demanded newcomers already (Palutena was tops, and I think they got second place as well, though I'm not sure). The most highly demanded character they're lacking is Mewtwo. Since he's technically a veteran, I'm not sure he'd get his own reveal trailer. Pairing him with the second most demanded character (and making the most demanded US character reveal one month from the US release) makes a lot of sense.

It sucks, since it means two extra weeks of waiting. But it makes a lot of sense for the reveal to be timed that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom