• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Metroid is one of those game series that can really only have one rep."

Uh-huh. Kid Icarus definitely deserves 2 reps with less games. Mother got 2 with less games. I'm not debating the validity of the characters given for those franchises as they have as much to do with Ridley's inclusion as Mega Man, Little Mac, and Rosalina, but come on. Metroid's been one of the few franchises that has yet to have a playable character aside from its main protagonist (and don't give me the ZSS is a different style, it's still Samus for crying out loud). And when we want the most obvious choice for a second rep from our series after DS got confirmed as an assist trophy, toobigots and everyone lashes out like it's heresy to ask for a second character. I don't get it at all. People still want the likes of Dark Pit and Medusa even after Icarus just got Palutena. Yet, here we are being the ones called selfish and greedy. Ugh.
I think it's fair to question those choices to an extent. Even if Metroid isn't THE BIGGEST FRANCHISE, going off the success of the franchise alone it most definitely deserves three characters before Kid Icarus, Mother, or even Star Fox. Or how about Fire Emblem? And yet there are still people who want MORE. Hell there are people who think *SONIC THE HEDGEHOG* deserves more actually different characters in Smash Bros. than Metroid. And you can argue with that all you want but at the end of the day, giving Metroid Samus and Zero Suit Samus is like giving Mario nothing but Mario and Dr. Mario. Or giving LoZ nothing but Link and Toon Link. Well THANKS, you literally gave us someone who is effectively the same but in a different outfit.

And really most people I've seen who support Ridley support OTHER character choices too. Particularly Donkey Kong getting a third character, which it definitely deserves. So really this "selfish" crap is basically more of the obnoxious sewage that comes out when those people decide to open their meat holes like they have anything to say.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The information drought has caused the Sm4sh social thread to outgrow us @.@

We're not big enough

I am not encouraging spam in any way, shape or form.

D

Deleted member

This is just rich...

"Why are Ridley fans so insanely selfish?" - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69594436

Pretty sure some people would avoid pyrosphere if Ridley was a boss hazard as people have stated he would just get in the way, might be fun now and again but for the most part he would just be a obstruction to the match, no way I'm posting this reply there though.
And it is just perfectly coincidental that this guy is a Little Mac supporter, he talks of being ecstatic he gets to see one of his favorite characters in the game as non-playable, and now he has that character as playable.

He seems to me to be a little biased by such a fact, he's standing around ridiculing us for complaining/wanting a favorite character of ours, Ridley, to be playable in the game, when his favorite character, that like Ridley, wasn't playable in Brawl, just happened to get promoted to playable in Smash 4.

The vibe I'm getting is "I got one of my favorite characters promoted to playable and I'm happy, but you guys are selfish for wanting the same thing as me with your character."

And then there's this:
And Mac is waaaaay more deserving than Ridley,
And the fact that he considers us selfish and stupid.

I can tolerate completely ignorant stupidity to some degree, but this, this is just way over the line for me. The amount of bias he holds is almost indescribable, it's just...unbelievable. I can't even call it pathetic, it's just that inconceivably asinine.

This is just the epitome of blind, bigoted, daft, unintelligence.

I just don't understand...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I-

... Oh. Nevermind.

But really. It's things like this where I honestly don't get why anyone cares if "anti-Ridley" people hate us. They're extremely closely linked with deliberate active antagonizing and saying ridiculous things anyway. So really seeing more from the astonishing cesspool that is Gamefaqs just kind of cements that mindset for me.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's not the arguments that make this thread not enjoyable it's the atmosphere. It's basically this:

*User A state his opinion 1"
*User B tells User A that he's wrong and state his opinion 2 to explain*
*User A insult user B on how opinion 2 is even more wrong*

Question: what happens if a user C who wants to present his opinion politely post something without any insult?

I don't want to know because it will be bad. It's not even encouraging to lurk here so how can any point can be brought up while keeping it civil if it's not encouraging to do so?

Oh btw, it's not recommended to do a troll on such a controversial subject unless it's REALLY obvious. The problem with the thread is that it got so much debates that anyone thinking like this is believable. Though, that shokio video, no that's a flame war fuel not a troll that's for sure.

Isaiah Stewart

Smash Rookie
I think it's fair to question those choices to an extent. Even if Metroid isn't THE BIGGEST FRANCHISE, going off the success of the franchise alone it most definitely deserves three characters before Kid Icarus, Mother, or even Star Fox. Or how about Fire Emblem? And yet there are still people who want MORE. Hell there are people who think *SONIC THE HEDGEHOG* deserves more actually different characters in Smash Bros. than Metroid. And you can argue with that all you want but at the end of the day, giving Metroid Samus and Zero Suit Samus is like giving Mario nothing but Mario and Dr. Mario. Or giving LoZ nothing but Link and Toon Link. Well THANKS, you literally gave us someone who is effectively the same but in a different outfit.

And really most people I've seen who support Ridley support OTHER character choices too. Particularly Donkey Kong getting a third character, which it definitely deserves. So really this "selfish" crap is basically more of the obnoxious sewage that comes out when those people decide to open their meat holes like they have anything to say.
Exactly, people always try to pull this kind of thing. I consider myself a Ridley fan, but he is not the only character I want. I'd also like Mewtwo, King K. Rool., Shulk, and Chrom; but I'd consider myself lucky to get at least one of them(preferably Ridley), and If he isn't in, I sure as heck wouldn't be going "ABC character wasn't in because XYZ character took his spot." That's just a foolish, unreasonable, and frankly uneducated assumption.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

I support pretty much every character that's not Fire Emblem, Mother, or the Chorus Kids. The newcomers to this point have all been deserved except WFT (who was obviously a joke character) and Miis, but they were downright inevitable with how much they've been thrown in your face since Nintendo started them. And yeah, that fills the playing as Reggie bit but that's besides the point. Pac Man's third party but who doesn't like Pac Man? I just feel like it's ridiculous that people who have been SPOILED with playable characters want more. How many more Pokemon are we gonna get? Zelda fans clamor for several people plus whatever newcomer they'll likely get. Mario got Rosalina, and maybe another one is on the way. It's just insane. Yet I don't see any other fanbases being called greedy or delusional. UGH. (sorry if I offend anyone who strongly wants any of these guys but it's grating as someone who has been hoping for more than Samus for over a decade.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
"Metroid is one of those game series that can really only have one rep."

Uh-huh. Kid Icarus definitely deserves 2 reps with less games. Mother got 2 with less games in Brawl (and some NA players haven't touched a Mother game, myself included). I'm not debating the validity of the characters given for those franchises as they have as much to do with Ridley's inclusion as Mega Man, Little Mac, and Rosalina, but come on. Metroid's been one of the few franchises that has yet to have a playable character aside from its main protagonist (and don't give me the ZSS is a different style, it's still Samus for crying out loud). And when we want the most obvious choice for a second rep from our series after DS got confirmed as an assist trophy, toobigots and everyone lashes out like it's heresy to ask for a second character. I don't get it at all. People still want the likes of Dark Pit and Hades even after Icarus just got Palutena. Yet, here we are being the ones called selfish and greedy. Ugh.
Don't even get me started on how people are adamantly against a second Pikmin rep...

D

Deleted member

It's not the arguments that make this thread not enjoyable it's the atmosphere. It's basically this:

*User A state his opinion 1"
*User B tells User A that he's wrong and state his opinion 2 to explain*
*User A insult user B on how opinion 2 is even more wrong*

Question: what happens if a user C who wants to present his opinion politely post something without any insult?

I don't want to know because it will be bad. It's not even encouraging to lurk here so how can any point can be brought up while keeping it civil if it's not encouraging to do so?

Oh btw, it's not recommended to do a troll on such a controversial subject unless it's REALLY obvious. The problem with the thread is that it got so much debates that anyone thinking like this is believable. Though, that shokio video, no that's a flame war fuel not a troll that's for sure.
Well the way you've defined it, User A, the one who posted his opinion in here, is the one instigating the conflict by insulting User B. Opinions, being opinions, are not "wrong" in the strictest sense of the word but can be quite biased, so if User A posts a clearly biased opinion, are we not allowed (us being User B) to correct him or her on such a thought so as to attempt to make sure that one less individual carries ignorant bias against us?

It doesn't help that the only opinions we ever usually get from "User A's" are those of the Toobigot/Boss Hazard Only line of thought. Those things, having been beaten to dust in this thread, are nothing more than annoyances to us now, so it doesn't surprise me that this thread seems hostile to some because we react negatively to the same crap that a new detractor tries to shove down our throats every 50 pages.

I don't want this thread to seem unfriendly to new users (User C's) but at the same time such a thing is hard to prevent when our fun (discussing random Ridley fanfics, art, etc.) is disrupted by the appearance of a new detractor that riles us up once again on a fairly consistent basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
"However, even if we were to use a different example, the point would still hold that Ridley fans overstate his appointment to Nintendo. Bowser and Ganondorf, for instance, are comparable to Ridley. They are both the 'major' villains of their respective franchises. Ridley is in no way as important to Nintendo as they are."
"Here's the deal. All of the characters (except, maybe Rob and the Pokémon) have developed personalities, etc, as well as being the size of a character that wouldn't look totally hilarious fighting alongside everyone else."

...what? GamesFAQ is worse than Gyigas - i cannot grasp true form of their logic. "LOGIC? WHAT IS THAT? CAN I EAT IT?" "ARGUMENTS? I JUST SAY HE CAN'T AND WON'T BE PLAYABLE AND THAT IS ENOUGH!"
...well...that is not exactly what they say, but very close...urgh, i need to relax now and forget what i saw...

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Don't even get me started on how people are adamantly against a second Pikmin rep...
Well, Pikmin would go along with the "Series that have less games than Metroid and still have more playable characters" trend that sure seems to be happening a lot. I love the Pikmin games, but the only other guy I'd want to play as is Louie, and only if the intro is the Pikmin 2 announcer saying "Lou-ie"

majora_787

Smash Hero
"However, even if we were to use a different example, the point would still hold that Ridley fans overstate his appointment to Nintendo. Bowser and Ganondorf, for instance, are comparable to Ridley. They are both the 'major' villains of their respective franchises. Ridley is in no way as important to Nintendo as they are."
"Here's the deal. All of the characters (except, maybe Rob and the Pokémon) have developed personalities, etc, as well as being the size of a character that wouldn't look totally hilarious fighting alongside everyone else."

...what? GamesFAQ is worse than Gyigas - i cannot grasp true form of their logic. "LOGIC? WHAT IS THAT? CAN I EAT IT?" "ARGUMENTS? I JUST SAY HE CAN'T AND WON'T BE PLAYABLE AND THAT IS ENOUGH!"
...well...that is not exactly what they say, but very close...urgh, i need to relax now and forget what i saw...
Sometimes that IS exactly what they say. Which is the sad part. :\

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
...I can want a MOTHER representative and believe Ridley's in, right?

Pretty much my list of most wanted newcomers consist of major villains from various franchises.

And I can forgive Brawl for justifying another Samus as a newcomer, as there are just so few, notable, reoccurring characters in the series. And at least ZS Samus wasn't just a sexy Samus clone, but a decent fighter in her own right.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well the way you've defined it, User A, the one who posted his opinion in here, is the one instigating the conflict by insulting User B. Opinions, being opinions, are not "wrong" in the strictest sense of the word but can be quite biased, so if User A posts a clearly biased opinion, are we not allowed (us being User B) to correct him or her on such a thought so as to attempt to make sure that one less individual carries ignorant bias against us?

It doesn't help that the only opinions we ever usually get from "User A's" are those of the Toobigot/Boss Hazard Only line of thought. Those things, having been beaten to dust in this thread, are nothing more than annoyances to us now, so it doesn't surprise me that this thread seems hostile to some because we react negatively to the same crap that a new detractor tries to shove down our throats every 50 pages.

I don't want this thread to seem unfriendly to new users (User C's) but at the same time such a thing is hard to prevent when our fun (discussing random Ridley fanfics, art, etc.) is disrupted by the appearance of a new detractor that riles us up once again on a fairly consistent basis.
Don't worry this thread is smooth enough (for now) :)

But that was more to describe how it's not encouraging for me to even try to correct one. If I see previous replies pointing good point without any major flaws in the presentation but still get rude answer, that's not appealing for any conversation. When I said wrong I meant that some are just WAY too convinced that what they say is the truth while it's subjective and that it's not encouraging to even tell any different perspective.

TL;DR so much subjective statement presented objectively is not good for both side.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Hey guys, I have a request.

Is there some way to post the good arguments and model takes on the first page so I don't have to go searching through 1000+ pages? I know offhand there was an other M model of ridley that fixed his duck beak, the gif of the shadow jumping, etc.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I wasn't that much clear because I assumed that it would've been enough but let me restate.

The following is assuming he would be an hazard.

First, that's a deconfirmation and Sakurai did all deconfirmation by telling a direct statement and mostly with picture/video. It already happened for too many instances so it's really obvious that he doesn't want to create speculation on them. But that makes the August 20 quote suspicious however, it's not clear what he's trying to tell. Not showing him until April 8 is again suspicious for how many time we saw the stage but again, it's not clear. In the direct, JUST AFTER describing an hazard in details and fully show him (this was even done before), we see a shadow of ridley on the same stage with Sakurai telling again double meaning quote so it's still again not clear.

Don't you see a patern? The only thing I saw from ridley is his tail which only tells me that it's other m ridley but not what he's doing here. Why it's not clear? I said earlier that it should be but what raise the red flag is the time gap. For MONTHS, we saw tons of pyrosphere pic and none of them has ridley in it so it doesn't make sense to see his shadow but not him. If he really wanted to deconfirm him, he would need to do so during the direct DIRECTLY (uhh... no pun intended) at the latest to stop speculation. Where it gets highly suspicious is that he did the absolute opposite: more speculation and you know why? by not being clear.

Looking at all the evidence, they are all double meaning so much that it's clear it was on purpose. But showing the shadow is counter-intuitive for an hazard since he wasn't showed before. What this means is that the shadow logically, shouldn't be there. The same goes for his quote since it couldn't have alluded him as hazard because it's double meaning and still not clear. They have no reasons to be there if he was an hazard but there's one thing left that do make sense to be there: Pyrosphere. So, it seems kinda odd that the stage is the last thing left that could tell hazard. It's the fact that we saw ridley's shadow on that specific stage that make a lot of people believed he was an hazard along with the quote. But because the shadow shouldn't be there, there's another reason on why this stage was on the direct. It turns out that it's the same stage showed and revealed on August 20. Not just that, but it's also on that date that Sakurai began to be ambiguous.

This is where the fun begins. How could that be coincidence? To reiterate, The pyrosphere stage was made to represent THE SAME LOCATION as you fight ridley AS A BOSS. AS SOON AS ITS REVEAL, Sakurai began heavy speculation for an unknown reason but it does mention that ridley could be there in some way naming him an enemy of samus's past which indicates that she fought ridley here before. Then, we show THE SAME stage multiple time WITHOUT any statement or image from head to feet for MONTHS thus, bringing even more speculation. Finally, we see THAT STAGE with ridley's SHADOW that doesn't belong here with a double meaning quote that TALKS ABOUT BOSS without talking specifically on ridley but again, that quote shouldn't be there. This situation, is WAY too convenient for this stage to be used with coincidences. The stage just HAD to be made and used for a reason. If the reason that stage wasn't because he was an hazard, as the other evidences shouldn't be there, then why it was there?

There's only one possible explanation that even explains the August 20 quote: it's ridley's home stage but since he isn't an hazard on said stage, he has to be playable.

This would means that the August 20 quote, the day the stage is revealed, was indicating that it was ridley's home stage because he mention how samus fought ridley on that exact location. Since he didn't even mentioned him, it created a mystery that hid the fact he was playable by being ambiguous and not referencing the hazard role directly thus, bring speculation. Then, to create even more speculation, he used the time in his advantage by making us wait for months while showing a good amount of ridley's home stage pictures but still not telling or showing anything clear so the mystery deepens. Finally, as speculation seemed to have increased because of the direct, he shows his shadow which suggest secret on his home stage for the ambiguity and a quote that isn't targeted to ridley but tells that there's other boss characters thus, dividing even more speculation which makes more discussion to increase the overall hype. Now, by not telling anything at E3 and not showing his home stage, he's using time again for even more hype but the shadow secretly revealed that he was playable since a shadow is usually symbolic of secret.

So, the fact that he's playable would explain everything Sakurai did. The hazard doesn't because the only evidence believed to allude to that logically shouldn't be there and it was the shadow.

As for when it will be revealed, either in a direct to blow minds or post release. Both are possible but I wouldn't find surprising for Sakurai to continue teasing him. Though, if it's post release, he's unlockable.
Ah, I get it. That was very well put together!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
...I can want a MOTHER representative and believe Ridley's in, right?

Pretty much my list of most wanted newcomers consist of major villains from various franchises.

And I can forgive Brawl for justifying another Samus as a newcomer, as there are just so few, notable, reoccurring characters in the series. And at least ZS Samus wasn't just a sexy Samus clone, but a decent fighter in her own right.
Yes, and like I said, I wasn't trying to rain on everyone else's character hopes. I was just saying how I felt after trying to read through that nonsense and generally being disappointed with Brawl's final roster. I agree on the villains part.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Mewtwo_Soul said:
So one topic, which was joking at best with almost every user in it, comparing to thousands of topics started by anti-Ridley and Anti-Ridley apologists, is equivalent.

When most Ridley fans would rather wait and see and not comment, but the Anti-Ridley's can't have that. They have to constantly bring it up. It's just like the "Anti-Palutena pic " side. Those who thought the positive, were willing to wait and see, oh no. Not the anti-side. Who CONTINUE AND CONSTANTLY bring it up EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY INTO OBNOXIOUS PROPORTIONS.

Then they try to compare one random troll pretending to be a pro-Ridley supporter thus all Ridley fans must be doing it, when there's far less support Ridley topics in comparison to the vice versa.

Let me not mention that people that didn't even care that much about Meteroid have stepped in due to the sheer arrogance of the Anti-Ridley fanbase. Myself included. Thanks to their igorant arugment about "Too Big" which started it and now leads to this?

Yeah. Sure.
At least there IS someone sane on that forum.
Hey guys, I have a request.

Is there some way to post the good arguments and model takes on the first page so I don't have to go searching through 1000+ pages? I know offhand there was an other M model of ridley that fixed his duck beak, the gif of the shadow jumping, etc.
Other M Ridley with fixed beak:

I have a separate image with just his head and neck.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Ridley should be playable in his torchic form.

Hong

The Strongest
For some reason whenever I think of "Ridley Floats" as a stage, I burst out into maniacal laughter.

Come on, admit it. It would be awesome.

And for added effect, you can play as Ridley on Ridley Floats, and as Ridley, you can summon Ridley from an Assist Trophy.

D

Deleted member

For some reason whenever I think of "Ridley Floats" as a stage, I burst out into maniacal laughter.

And for added effect, you can play as Ridley on Ridley Floats, and as Ridley, you can summon Ridley from an Assist Trophy.
And have ridley have moves that involve ridley.

Hong

The Strongest
It's an insult to compare Torchic to Ridley.

One is immensely cute.

The other is just a flightless bird.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

The funny thing is, when counting dummied out data, Ridley's fulfilled nearly every character role in this series: background character, stage element (maaaaybe), collectable trophy, boss, assist character (in Brawl's data he was almost an AT)...

...except for a playable character. :c

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know the source of this just that this blog reported it, but it's a leak that states ridley as a newcomer supported by a Wario reveal by the end of next week. I personally think it's BS, but it might provide for some nice discussion and speculation.
http://ssb4dojo.com/post/91105966296/rumor-mill-gematsu-plus-rumor
The source of this rumor is a GameFAQs troll. Best to disregard it entirely. . .Ridley is a strong, independent space dragon who don't need no troll wishlist anyway.

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
The source of this rumor is a GameFAQs troll. Best to disregard it entirely. . .Ridley is a strong, independent space dragon who don't need no troll wishlist anyway.
I figured that it came from just some troll as like 99% of rumors do. I can't say that I would mind terribly much if it turned out to be a reality, but even if Wario were revealed I still personally wouldn't buy into it.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

I made this and would love some constructive criticism and also made a BRSTM of it if you wanna Brawl to it. I think this sounds pretty good, and I think this speed sounds best, the percussion really goes well mashed. Anyways, if Ridley's revealed, I'm gonna be blasting this all day :evil:

Hope you guys like it!!! Took me about an hour plus to get it sounding right! (and it is loud for you headphone users out there)
I commented in the video section, but I'll repeat myself here...

You're trying to mesh two songs together, one of them having an irregular time signature. Quad City DJ I believe is a 4/8 time signature. Ridley's theme is 5/8.

Basically the latter song is always going to have one additional beat per bar. You'd have to transform one of the songs significantly to get them to match in any sort of tolerable manner.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I commented in the video section, but I'll repeat myself here...

You're trying to mesh two songs together, one of them having an irregular time signature. Quad City DJ I believe is a 4/8 time signature. Ridley's theme is 5/8.

Basically the latter song is always going to have one additional beat per bar. You'd have to transform one of the songs significantly to get them to match in any sort of tolerable manner.
I realize this and knew it going in to making it, but I felt like it meshed about as well as it was going to. And for a first ever attempt at a mash-up, I don't think it turned out that horribly for songs with different time signatures, as you pointed out.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito

Probably fake, but let's see what we all think. Throw out any ideas! I'd like to point out the name "Chorus Trio". I've never heard them be called that before.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Once again, I don't care, even if Wario is revealed by the end of next week I won't believe it. I already figured we'd get a veteran either this week or next week, and Wario is the mostlikely pick anyway. Now Sakurai reveals Ganondorf just to troll everyone. I already believed Isaac and Ridley were in as well. Plus, with all the Kremling love, at this point I think K. Rool is more likely than Dixie Kong.

EDIT: Just of further clarification, he said "to prove his legitimacy." Guessing that Wario is the next mostlikely character, and that we'll get a new character reveal by the end of next week, is just that: a guess. I'm sitting here HOPING we get a Ganondorf announcement, but I already stated in the topic where you predict who the next character revealed will be and I already said Wario anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom