• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Ridley's Final Smash should be something like this:

NAPALM FLARE! (Square Enix won't even notice):grin:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just give us what everyone truly wants.
Giga Ridley (some sort of bad ass model, obv)

Which is basically just regular normal Ridley doing normal Ridley things at the normal ridley size.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Just give us what everyone truly wants.
Giga Ridley (some sort of bad *** model, obv)

Which is basically just regular normal Ridley doing normal Ridley things at the normal ridley size.
I used to have a strong opinion on which version of Ridley I wanted in the game.

But Sakurai grabbed everyone who wanted Ridley by the balls in that direct, and just kept putting on squeeze. Each day that we got no info is another half turn on the rack. E3 was tying a couple of weights to the rope. And each filler update feels like a clothespin added on, purely for the torturer's entertainment

I used to have a strong opinion on which version of Ridley I wanted in the game. Now I just want the torture to eeeend

Even today's pic could technically be considered filler. :c

Why you do dis Sakurai?

Whhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.........?????????
I consider going over Mii's moveset filler at this point. Between the three of them, there are 36 special moves to cover... And he covered a smash attack...

Need me a sweet, sweet veteran reveal to get me through the month. Maybe some of Palutena's moves to get me through the week. We've hardly seen any of her, to the point where showing off some of her stuff in a screenshot wouldn't feel like filler at this point.

Maybe a screenshot of Palutena, Samus, and Rosalina, for some height comparisons.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm rather neutral on Miis, but the fact that they've been the focus of filler ever since E3 is getting a little grating (seriously, a smash attack?). I'll even take another vague size comparison over them by this point, since at least this place will be jumping another ten pages after the fact. :awesome:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I used to have a strong opinion on which version of Ridley I wanted in the game.

But Sakurai grabbed everyone who wanted Ridley by the balls in that direct, and just kept putting on squeeze. Each day that we got no info is another half turn on the rack. E3 was tying a couple of weights to the rope. And each filler update feels like a clothespin added on, purely for the torturer's entertainment

I used to have a strong opinion on which version of Ridley I wanted in the game. Now I just want the torture to eeeend

I consider going over Mii's moveset filler at this point. Between the three of them, there are 36 special moves to cover... And he covered a smash attack...

Need me a sweet, sweet veteran reveal to get me through the month. Maybe some of Palutena's moves to get me through the week. We've hardly seen any of her, to the point where showing off some of her stuff in a screenshot wouldn't feel like filler at this point.

Maybe a screenshot of Palutena, Samus, and Rosalina, for some height comparisons.
inb4 we get a picture showing a hazard on Pyrosphere that isn't Ridley :p

I like to think that if it weren't for the reveal of Pyrosphere in August, this thread wouldn't have ballooned to a thousand pages and would still have more people discussing his moveset and playstyle.

Speaking of the Pyrosphere, what stage would you have chosen for Ridley as his home stage, other than the one we have?

I would have chosen the Pirate Homeworld from MP3: Corruption.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I like to think that if it weren't for the reveal of Pyrosphere in August, this thread wouldn't have ballooned to a thousand pages and would still have more people discussing his moveset and playstyle.

Speaking of the Pyrosphere, what stage would you have chosen for Ridley as his home stage, other than the one we have?

Norion with a breakable floor could be nice, then it becomes an air battle

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Pirate Homeworld is always a good spot. I love the Prime series. If I could include another Metroid stage in the game, it would have to be an homage to Prime 1. See my winning post in the stage contest thread here. I feel that could do a good job for both Samus and Ridley, honestly. Maybe add a transition for the Space Pirate construction place, a more industrial setting. I only gave a few transitions, there could honestly be a few more, Tallon IV was incredibly varied. The only reason I didn't include the space station was because Brawl had the inside of it a stage, but there could be a transition on the outside of it. Maybe a transition spot at the impact crater specifically for Ridley, haha.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Norion with a breakable floor could be nice, then it becomes an air battle
With Ridley as the stage. :troll:

But seriously, that sounds like a good idea. We haven't had a true air battle in this series yet, have we?

Pirate Homeworld is always a good spot. I love the Prime series. If I could include another Metroid stage in the game, it would have to be an homage to Prime 1. See my winning post in the stage contest thread here. I feel that could do a good job for both Samus and Ridley, honestly. Maybe add a transition for the Space Pirate construction place, a more industrial setting. I only gave a few transitions, there could honestly be a few more, Tallon IV was incredibly varied. The only reason I didn't include the space station was because Brawl had the inside of it a stage, but there could be a transition on the outside of it. Maybe a transition spot at the impact crater specifically for Ridley, haha.
I saw your idea for a Metroid stage when they had the contest days ago. I wept, because that was something so simple and so general to get across to non-Metroid fans on what the series was like, but Sakurai instead said "LOL NOPE you get lava stages again".

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
With Ridley as the stage. :troll:

But seriously, that sounds like a good idea. We haven't had a true air battle in this series yet, have we?

I saw your idea for a Metroid stage when they had the contest days ago. I wept, because that was something so simple and so general to get across to Metroid fans on what the series was like, but Sakurai instead said "LOL NOPE you get lava stages again".
To be fair, 90% of the time you play Metroid, you are submerged in lava.

Or was that dig dug

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lower Norfair/Ridley`s lair/Ridley of course. This is where you fight him in Super Metroid for the last time before he canonicaly dies. And in Zero Mission...i guess...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well...that sounds like if Soundwave would suddenly start displaying smilies on his fa- oh...wait...anyway, is there any expalanion why he suddenly became not serious? Like he got hit in the head by giant Ubisoft money bag or it is before some kind of a...er...emotional trauma...um...anyway, will his revenge be violent and...i guess spoilers are a bad thing.

Oh, and i sent that image to you. Ridley`s thumb looks kinda weird because it was not designed to be posed like that.
Yeah, I think ge getting hit with a money bag was probably the reason for his change...sigh, but we can't do nothing to change that back....and he's in the order of Assassins...and they are literally the definition of violent deaths.....so..

xD Thank you! I will check it!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Bored today, so:

Taking all bets: Will Ridley's final size be closer to my predicted size based on the shadows, or Wizardglory's predicted size based on existing characters and the elevation of platforms? Or are we both totally wrong?

My Argument for my size:
I started with this picture of his tail shadow. I reasoned that this tail thickness is likely going to be the thickness of the real Ridley's tail, owing to the consistent shape and thickness across the stage and the overall tendency of shadows to become bigger, not smaller.

I then measured out that four Ridley tails was the sufficient number in order to equate the thickness of this brick on Pyrosphere.

I took an Other M Ridley model (because that was the most likely model and I wanted the hugest Ridley possible), bundled four tails, and scaled them appropriately on an top-down view of the Pyrosphere.

(Yes, I verified that the Other M Pyrosphere was roughly the same as the Smash Bros Pyrosphere, the only primary difference being that the Smash version was more octagonal.)

Anyhow, I lined up the two Pyrospheres, and...

There we have it! Ridley's Smash Bros. size.

And a quick size comparison with Samus for added effect.

And the Wizard's updated scale, keeping new character scales in mind and the likelihood of brushing a platform with one's head in mind:

Me personally, though I was the one who did the shadow analysis, my money's on the wizard. How 'bout you?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

Oh man. I'm a sucker for the Primes, so I think I'd go Sanctuary Fortress.

You're on the bridge. That bridge, but sideways. There's two platforms, one on the bottom, one on the top, held up by those pillars, the top one slightly smaller.

Either one of the robots from Sanctuary Fortress could do something from the background or a Dark Pirate Commando could appear to throw grenades and fire, I guess? I haven't thought it through. I loved Sanctuary Fortress though, so I think it'd be awesome. If there was a Prime stage in SSBB, a Prime 2 stage in SSB4 3DS, and a Prime 3 stage in SSB4 Wii U, that'd be something else.

...Oh, Ridley home stage? Well, darn. Described a regular Metroid stage instead. My apologies!

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Bored today, so:

Taking all bets: Will Ridley's final size be closer to my predicted size based on the shadows, or Wizardglory's predicted size based on existing characters and the elevation of platforms? Or are we both totally wrong?

My Argument for my size:
I started with this picture of his tail shadow. I reasoned that this tail thickness is likely going to be the thickness of the real Ridley's tail, owing to the consistent shape and thickness across the stage and the overall tendency of shadows to become bigger, not smaller.

I then measured out that four Ridley tails was the sufficient number in order to equate the thickness of this brick on Pyrosphere.

I took an Other M Ridley model (because that was the most likely model and I wanted the hugest Ridley possible), bundled four tails, and scaled them appropriately on an top-down view of the Pyrosphere.

(Yes, I verified that the Other M Pyrosphere was roughly the same as the Smash Bros Pyrosphere, the only primary difference being that the Smash version was more octagonal.)

Anyhow, I lined up the two Pyrospheres, and...

There we have it! Ridley's Smash Bros. size.

And a quick size comparison with Samus for added effect.

And the Wizard's updated scale, keeping new character scales in mind and the likelihood of brushing a platform with one's head in mind:

Me personally, though I was the one who did the shadow analysis, my money's on the wizard. How 'bout you?
I mean, it looks natural to me at this point, but I don't think any of this thread's regulars are in an unbiased position to judge anymore. We've all seen these comparisons so much that even if they were off, we'd see them as normal. You need to find fresh eyes to get a better opinion.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
"If Ridley was a playable character, he would be the best character on the game. Ridley is a boss, not a character."

Meta Knight and Fox confirmed bosses.
"Plus we already have a dragon in the game. Bowser"

This one made me laugh. I thought for sure the Charizard argument was coming.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
"If Ridley was a playable character, he would be the best character on the game. Ridley is a boss, not a character."

Meta Knight and Fox confirmed bosses.
I still don't get why the balance is an argument. It's even worse than the too big one because the balance doesn't really have a subjective part (do we even know how well balanced he would be because you shouldn't be able to tell unless you play as him or at least saw him play). Yes he's powerful but that's canon.

EDIT: "Bowser can come in many different sizes. So it doesn't really matter bout him."
That however, is trying to prove the opposite what he's actually trying to prove. LOL.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, time for new, dumb arguments, courtesy of me:

Ridley can't be in the game! He can't emote! Bowser has eyebrows and can adjust his eyes, Charizard looks like he can smile now, but Ridley? All he can do is varying degrees of opening his mouth!

I run a little comic (which I barely update, admittedly) in which a Dalek is a main character. I know how to give emotions to pretty much any design, no matter how little room is allowed.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Ridley can't be in the game! He can't emote! Bowser has eyebrows and can adjust his eyes, Charizard looks like he can smile now, but Ridley? All he can do is varying degrees of opening his mouth!

I run a little comic (which I barely update, admittedly) in which a Dalek is a main character. I know how to give emotions to pretty much any design, no matter how little room is allowed.
But if you gave a dalek emotion it wouldn't be a dalek anymore. How could you possible make it playable in sm4sh?

wait

D

Deleted member

*Points to @ AndreaAC AndreaAC 's and @SchAlternate 's artwork of Ridley*

I think Ridley can emote just fine.

If they ^ can do that then the game artists/animators most definitely can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
But if you gave a dalek emotion it wouldn't be a dalek anymore. How could you possible make it playable in sm4sh?

wait
Actually, the idea that Daleks are emotionless is a misconception. We actually feel a wide ranges of emotions! Anger, hatred, loathing, bloodlust...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Actually, the idea that Daleks are emotionless is a misconception. We actually feel a wide ranges of emotions! Anger, hatred, loathing, bloodlust...
Kind of a waste, only feeling half the spectrum. You can't truly understand anger if you haven't felt serenity, or loathing, love. Just knowing an emotion or a lack of it really doesn't do the emotion justice.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
"Plus we already have a dragon in the game. Bowser"

This one made me laugh. I thought for sure the Charizard argument was coming.

Everyone always forgets about me.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Don't cry little fella. The standard Miiverse poster has as much mental capacity as a bucket of water. You'll be breathing fire with Ridley, Bowser, and Villager before you know it
What a mean-spirited comment. You shouldn't insult buckets of water like that. It's not nice.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
You know I think if we mix Ridley and Roidley into one we basically get that kind of character that blows stuff up for a good laugh, Ridley's lust for bloodshed and destruction, Rodiley's childish glee.

A Ridley who does whatever he feel like doing, even if it's clearly a really bad idea to do it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wait, what?
He can pocket anything. anything

Just don't turn the lights out in your bathroom at midnight with your PJ's inside out and say villager 3 times in the mirror

Death would be an escape

What a mean-spirited comment. You shouldn't insult buckets of water like that. It's not nice.
Sorry, I've been biased against buckets of water ever since one killed my whole family back in '06.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You know I think if we mix Ridley and Roidley into one we basically get that kind of character that blows stuff up for a good laugh, Ridley's lust for bloodshed and destruction, Rodiley's childish glee.

A Ridley who does whatever he feel like doing, even if it's clearly a really bad idea to do it.
He's also cunningly feigns stupidity to put his opponents off guard :troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

So, the Joker.
I wanna see a Batman/Metroid crossover now...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So, the Joker.
I wanna see a Batman/Metroid crossover now...
Joker - Shoot me. Come on. I want you to do it. Become your-
Samus - Ok. BAM

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ridley - Really? Dead parents again? This trope is starting to get overdone. Or should I say, well done :troll:
Batman - ;(

alternate convo

Joker - Why so serious?
Samus - He ate my parents
Joker - Ewwww

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Thought I'd drop in with some insight on using Battlefield's platforms to determine height. Observe.

We'll start with Rosalina.
As you can see, her crown is just barely clipping into the bottom of the platform above her. So she's pretty big if she can do that.

Next, let's take a look at Bowser here.
He's actually clipping through the platform literally by a few hairs. If he were to be any bigger, he could clip through the platform to which it would be a disadvantage to even be under those platforms for him.

And finally, here's how the two look next to each other.
Obviously not 100% accurate, but hey, it's from prerecorded footage.

My point being, playable Ridley won't be much taller than these two. He'll likely be wider though due to a hunched stance or the like.

Top Bottom