• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Fake leak/troll baiting
Guis I got infos on the August Smash Direct.

Direct Opens with Sakurai Playing Super Metroid

Sakurai:
Oh Hello! Welcome to the Smash Direct. Today I am going to show you you a brand new character addition to Smash Bros!

Metroid music starts playing

Sakurai: Now, in the past, I've always been hesitant towards character sizes. Of course that only applies to games I did not make. In other words, inferior games that you should not ever play. Kirby and Kid Icarus master Race!

But this time, I have decided to include one very popular Metroid character always thought of as "being too big", take a look!

Smash reveal trailer starts. Samus is obviously tired and beat up on a lava planet. Looks like it could be the end. Suddenly we see she is on Brinstar, but something is missing.... a loud crash is heard

KRAID SQUEEZES IN!

Sakurai: It was a great monumental task to include everyone's favorite Metroid villain, Kraid, into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. We hope you enjoy playing as him!

But the age old question still remains... Who would win in a fight between Samus' most evil villains? Kraid, or everyone's favorite space pirate... Ridley! Well that question will be answered in Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS!

How you ask? Well obviously just hop in a match on pyrosphere with Kraid and prepare to fight the stage boss Ridley!

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
6) I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that there was going to be three different slots for the Mii character (gunner, swordsman, fist fighter), and there was only one slot for the Mii there
I thought it was only 1 on the official website they're together as one. But that roster is Definetley not real

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
No, there's just going to be one Mii slot.

I don't know where people are getting that each Mii has it's own slot.
In the digital video conference Sakurai said that each of the individual Mii characters will act as a separate fighter, thus a different character for each. If that isn't what he meant then I have no idea of what it is.

majora_787

Smash Hero
In the digital video conference Sakurai said that each of the individual Mii characters will act as a separate fighter, thus a different character for each. If that isn't what he meant then I have no idea of what it is.
That's because Sakurai considers each moveset to be a character. It makes no sense for Miis to occupy three spaces on the normal roster and not their own tab or whatever like they usually do.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So this is how I imagined GameFAQs when they freaked out after (finally) figuring out that Ridley jumped in the Direct:
RidleyJump.png

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Another Pyrosphere picture of the day and still no stage hazard/boss Ridley. How many pics so far? 60? 100?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Another Pyrosphere picture of the day and still no stage hazard/boss Ridley. How many pics so far? 60? 100?
At this point, I'm finding it hilarious. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sakurai kept tiptoeing around his presence after the 3DS version's release and his (possible) disconfirmation.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Speaking of the newest picture of the day, do you think it's possible that Ridley was customized to float for a longer period of time? Assuming that he wasn't a stage hazard?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually had flashbacks to Ridley doing that crappy gust attack that he's never EVER done anything like in his Brawl boss battle.

Also Roidley having DK's proportions and all that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dyna-Ridley's gust attack was sadly one of the first things that came to mind for me too when I just looked at the PotD. Uuugh. :urg:

edit: Hey look, Shuma viewing the thread again.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The other thing that came to mind was me dreading the thought of people (detractors/"don't question Sakurai's brilliance!" fanboys mainly) telling us to get over Ridley's exclusion by making use of Charizard's customization options and using alternate color schemes.

Maresch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maresch
Speaking of the newest picture of the day, do you think it's possible that Ridley was customized to float for a longer period of time? Assuming that he wasn't a stage hazard?
That works perfectly. I can see people trying to play Ridley for the first time and wondering "Why can't I fly for so long like I saw in that one direct?" and some time later they finally discover that alternate move and going "OHHHH, that's why. Clever Sakurai."

The other thing that came to mind was me dreading the thought of people (detractors/"don't question Sakurai's brilliance!" fanboys mainly) telling us to get over Ridley's exclusion by making use of Charizard's customization options and using alternate color schemes.
*shivers*... We tried that with Brawl modding. It just felt so wrong.

Reila

At this point, I'm finding it hilarious. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sakurai kept tiptoeing around his presence after the 3DS version's release and his (possible) disconfirmation.
It wouldn't make sense to keep toying with Ridley's status after the 3DS version's release, because at that point, we will know whether it is playable or not.
What did Sakurai say on that post, I think it is the gust bellow, or DK's costumisable move
Pic of the day. Here's Donkey Kong's third standard special attack, Storm Punch!! Thanks to the customization options, each fighter is stocked with 12 different special moves. The number of attacks is pretty appalling.

Last edited:

Shuma

Smash Hero
Dyna-Ridley's gust attack was sadly one of the first things that came to mind for me too when I just looked at the PotD. Uuugh. :urg:

edit: Hey look, Shuma viewing the thread again.
Still waiting for Ridley, i'm sure it'll happen any time now. Any time now...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maaaybe...unless he can float in the same way as Peach (by holding the jump button)...
Wait...if it is now possible to customize attacks, then shouldn`t we edit Ridleymoveset on the Ridleyfirst page?

Is it possible to see at least parts of that Best Buy Sm4sh event or whatever it was called now or it is impossible?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's actually only pic #51 from Pyrosphere.

Brawl Ganondorf looks like a grandpa. 'Nuff said
I prefer grandpa Dorf over the silly willy troll Dorf from Melee honestly.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Actually, that brings another thought to mind. What if one of Pit's customizable specials is his Brawl/Wings of Icarus one?

While I think it was changed for balance/maintaining KI: U "canon" purposes (especially now with Palutena being in), it could have been to further differentiate from other flying/pseudo-flying characters. (though I doubt that's why Meta Knight still hasn't been shown).

Edit: Updated title since demo-talk is dying down.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
With the lounge, can I handle foreign affairs since I frequent Gamefaqs (And even caused the Ridley jump explosion)

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
The french one is different :

"Sur les ordres de Mother Brain, Ridley a enlevé le dernier exemplaire de Métroïde en détruisant l’académie spatiale où celui-ci se trouvait. La structure génétique de ce parasite s’apparente au Dragoturnos RV7. Ridley peut ressembler à une créature primitive mais possède en fait une intelligence très développée."

Or more or less with my horrible lack of english skills :
"Under Mother Brain's orders, Ridley stole the last metroid by destroying the space academy where it was captive.
The genetic structure of this parasite is simillar to the Dragoturnos RV7.
Ridley may look like a primitive creature but it possess in fact a highly-developed intelligence".
Ca fait plaisir de voir des français à la fois fan de Smash et de Metroid :D

Anyway, I may be the only one but I actually think the other M Ridley would fit better as a Playable character than the Brawl model. I don't really like the brawl model, it looks so thin, and his neck ...
Other M ridley is bigger but smaller and would looks better in the Bowser's size than the thin classic Ridley, but I'm pretty sure they'll come up with a Smash New Model !

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ca fait plaisir de voir des français à la fois fan de Smash et de Metroid :D

Anyway, I may be the only one but I actually think the other M Ridley would fit better as a Playable character than the Brawl model. I don't really like the brawl model, it looks so thin, and his neck ...
Other M ridley is bigger but smaller and would looks better in the Bowser's size than the thin classic Ridley, but I'm pretty sure they'll come up with a Smash New Model !
Yes, he would fit better because of his proportions - it is easier to make a claw swipe animation with him than with Ridley. But it has its own issues, including his duck beak, short legs, bulky proportions and spikes of villainy. If he would be thin and cleaner, with normal beak, then he would be perfect for me. I still like it more than NES Ridley.
Ridley MUST be thin because this is the way he is always made. In every game, he is thin and only in Other M he doesn`t looks like a skinny/slender pterosaur-dragon-thing. It makes him kinda unique.

Yet another Ridley 3D fanart by me, but this time with a better head:

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Yes, he would fit better because of his proportions - it is easier to make a claw swipe animation with him than with Ridley. But it has its own issues, including his duck beak, short legs, bulky proportions and spikes of villainy. If he would be thin and cleaner, with normal beak, then he would be perfect for me. I still like it more than NES Ridley.
I still don't know where this kind of thinking comes from, but I'm working on proving it wrong at this very moment. Roidley's bulk in particular seems like it would make it harder to pose him.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Turns out the method of unlocking Ridley is having the 3DS version communicate with the Wii U version

:troll:

Edit: Updated title since demo-talk is dying down.
At least SOMEONE's on top of that

cough

Last edited:

Reila

Nah, it's behind Battlefield, Boxing Ring, Pilotwings, Town and City, and the Galaxy stage.
I don't remember that many pictures of the Pilotwings and Mario Galaxy stages, but I will take your word on that.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
But wouldn't it be such a **** move? Not only can you not unlock everything without at least access to both versions, but you have to wait until the Wii U version to know the full roster
Yeah, but I'll take that over what everyone else thinks is happening. Teasing Ridley before showing that he's only a boss? Nothing mean about that, nope.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah, but I'll take that over what everyone else thinks is happening. Teasing Ridley before showing that he's only a boss? Nothing mean about that, nope.
Yeah but if the first thing happens then no one unlocks him when the 3DS version comes out and we have no pyrosphere so everyone assumes he's gone for at least 2 months

That'd be pretty crushing

of course it would still imply that ,in the end Ridley would be playable, so I wouldn't complain xD

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
But wouldn't it be such a **** move?
Thats better than if Ridley isn`t playable at all...at least for me. Why? Becaues you will try to unlock Ridley in 3DS version and few months later, while you still trying to unlock Ridley *BAM!* You see him as a stage boss...and then suddenly aliens attack the world, Godzilla wakes up, Samus visits our planet and accidentaly activates self-destruction sequence, Nintendo announces a new Metroid game, but it has even more dialogs, cutscenes, crying Samus, "THE BABY", bull way of getting upgrades, horrible Ridley and a terrible personality of Samus, but you don`t care anymore (well...maybe you still care about a horrible Ridley design, but nothing more) and just let out a loud "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-" while Earth explodes.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Nice work there @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , that altered Ridley model looks much more natural now. And there's one thing I especially have to commend you on, you've actually moved Samus' shoulders in accordance with her arms. Because seriously Sakurai, all this work and Samus' arms still clip through her shoulders in all the pictures we've gotten so far. I get that things like capes and dresses most likely will end up clipping on the same model, but shoulders? that's just lazy work I tell you.

Top Bottom