• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does anyone have a height comparison between Bowser ans Samus to give us an idea on Ridleys size compared to her?

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone noticed this yet but in every Metroid game,barring the original, Ridley appears at least once before you fight him
Zero Mission: Fight normal Ridley, end game boss is Robot Ridley
Super: The space station, then his fight in Norfair
Fusion: You see his frozen body, then you fight him later on
Prime 1: You see him at the space station, then you fight him before going into the crater
Prime 3: You fight Meta Ridley early on, then you fight his corrupted form as one of the last bosses
Other M: This one is reversed You fight him first in Pyrosphere, then later on you see him get wrecked by the Metroid Queen.
So ya, maybe the same is happening here lol, a bit of stretch though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nice work there @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , that altered Ridley model looks much more natural now. And there's one thing I especially have to commend you on, you've actually moved Samus' shoulders in accordance with her arms. Because seriously Sakurai, all this work and Samus' arms still clip through her shoulders in all the pictures we've gotten so far. I get that things like capes and dresses most likely will end up clipping on the same model, but shoulders? that's just lazy work I tell you.
Thanks. THIS is the result of me having a lot of free time.
Pft. Her entire LEGS can clip sometimes (it can be seen on one of the ZSS` images). That isn`t something uncommon actually.
I don't know if anyone noticed this yet but in every Metroid game,barring the original, Ridley appears at least once before you fight him
Zero Mission: Fight normal Ridley, end game boss is Robot Ridley
Super: The space station, then his fight in Norfair
Fusion: You see his frozen body, then you fight him later on
Prime 1: You see him at the space station, then you fight him before going into the crater
Prime 3: You fight Meta Ridley early on, then you fight his corrupted form as one of the last bosses
Other M: This one is reversed You fight him first in Pyrosphere, then later on you see him get wrecked by the Metroid Queen.
So ya, maybe the same is happening here lol, a bit of stretch though.
Technicaly, only in Super Metroid, Other M and Prime games. In ZM, Robot Ridley is a separate thing. In Fusion, Ridley-X is only a mimic of Ridley`s clone`s corpse.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
6) I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that there was going to be three different slots for the Mii character (gunner, swordsman, fist fighter), and there was only one slot for the Mii there
No, if mii's took up multiple slots, then they'd do so on the website. Sakurai did not say that. What a MASSIVE waste that would be.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Its either some characters clip or no Ridley because Sakurai spent his time fixing clipping. The choice is clear :p

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Has anyone looked at Charizards shadow on Pyrosphere in Greninjas trailer? He gets launched into the air by Keldeo which might help.

Also something I noticed, Keldeo doesn't appear to have a shadow.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Aesthetically, best Metroid overall IMO.

They had an art style that felt like neo-retro or something. Old stylistic choices like colours, cheesy designs, comic book-like cutscenes, yet so clean and not as needlessly gritty as you'd expect from sci-fi art in the 70s or 80s.
And Ridley took hints from Scrooge McDuck for his face.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Are you sure you're thinking of Zero Mission? When I think Scrooge McDuckley, I think Other M.
I thought you were talking about Other M :v Although I don't really love Ridley's Zero Mission looks, my favorite design is the Super Metroid design, it's just Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't remember that many pictures of the Pilotwings and Mario Galaxy stages, but I will take your word on that.
It includes press photos too, so if we're talking strictly Pic of the Day representation Pilotwings and Galaxy are probably behind Pyrosphere. I'm just counting the pictures of each stage on smashbros-miiverse.com to be honest :p

Oh, and I forgot Skyloft before.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
You'd think it'd take more effort to organise so many PotDs on Pyrosphere, if Stage Hazardley is a thing.

I get my PotDs from ChallengerApproaching's tumblr. Too lazy to make a Miiverse account that I can use online.

But anyway. Let's say Ridley is confirmed to be a playable character. We get happy and joyful. We go through years and years with him playable in Smash 4, the woes of old lost on our poor souls. Then, appearing at any second...

SUPER SMASH BROS. 5!

Do we have to begin the war again, or would he have a higher chance of getting in, or what? What do you think detractors would start saying in that case?

On a side note, I like being a Space Pirate. I don't want any fancy role, I just want to be a Space Pirate because they're awesome. :awesome:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You'd think it'd take more effort to organise so many PotDs on Pyrosphere, if Stage Hazardley is a thing.

I get my PotDs from ChallengerApproaching's tumblr. Too lazy to make a Miiverse account that I can use online.

But anyway. Let's say Ridley is confirmed to be a playable character. We get happy and joyful. We go through years and years with him playable in Smash 4, the woes of old lost on our poor souls. Then, appearing at any second...

SUPER SMASH BROS. 5!

Do we have to begin the war again, or would he have a higher chance of getting in, or what? What do you think detractors would start saying in that case?

On a side note, I like being a Space Pirate. I don't want any fancy role, I just want to be a Space Pirate because they're awesome. :awesome:
Ridley's no Mewtwo. Unlike Pokemon, Metroid is starving for representation.

IF Ridley turns out to be a horrible fighter, it's much more likely that he'd simply be tweaked for the succeeding entry rather than be cut entirely.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

SUPER SMASH BROS. 5!

If Ridley is in this game, there's no reason to suggest he'd be dropped next time. The only cut original characters have decent reasons for being cut. Ridley would be a villain character, a rare Metroid rep, and the most-requested character addition for a long time. There's no way he'd be cut like Mewtwo was (and the likelihood is that even Mewtwo will come back).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, if Ridley ever gets in he's staying in Smash 'till the end of time, his problem has never been that he's unpopular or anything like that, Ridley doesn't have up and downs like Mewtwo, his problem has always been that he's a hard character to create initially, if he's in they'll have everything they need to carry him forward.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

SUPER SMASH BROS. 5!

If Ridley gets in this time, he's probably staying. No reason to leave.

But I think that some of the more vocal detractors, the ones who put a serious amount of time and effort into proclaiming the evils of a playable Ridley, will advocate for his removal.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ridley would never be cut, Sakurai knows he is a popular and important character (besides a few Pokémon, Whispey Woods and Bob-omb to be included in some way in every Smash and not be playable.) If Ridley doesn't make it in it is almost certainly because either Sakurai can not find a way to make him work or (much more likely in my opinion) Sakurai does not think that being playable would be an appropriate way to represent Ridley's character. If he is implemented these problems no longer exist, and I would be amazed to not see him return.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well, looks like thems the breaks. You guys know more than I do, since my first game was Brawl and back then I didn't even know about the Ridley hype. It was only after that that I got into Metroid. Hell, Samus' awesome sequence in the SSE in Brawl and Ridley's cutscene and fights were what got my into Metroid. Smash: Successfully promoting series since... whenever it was released.

Also, I own Metroid Prime Trilogy. Does that make me special?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Found iiiit~!

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...e-pirate-lounge.324284/page-327#post-16122220

My moveset that I made back in December! Note how its set of special moves already have three variations each! It's because of my gimmick of using Ridley, Meta-Ridley, and Omega Ridley without necessarily relying on "tranformation", so every attack has three variations.

But still... on top of the game as usual. :smirk:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Donkey Kong confirmed to create tornadoes with HIS FISTS! Makes you wonder what the Falcon Punch variations would be like...

Anyway, moar Pyrosphere, no Ridley. Joy.

EDIT: Dat title change, tho.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Not at all. I also own Metroid Prime Trilogy. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people in this thread do.

Sorry.
Nah, no need to apologise. Just saw that it apparently is limited edition since they stopped making them and goes for super high prices online. Being the English bloke that I am, I like to go for anything that gains me money. Especially since my Wii doesn't work anymore. Then again, it is three brilliant games... decisions are tough, man. :yeahboi:

Also, regarding the detractors, I think that'd be more amusing than anything. I mean, at that point, we'd be on top, rather than them. And I assume they stepped all over people when Brawl was released with Bossley in it. But they'd be the ones in denial.

Staarih

Smash Master
I personally feel like Ridley is the one and only Metroid rep we'd need to get in as a playable character to represent the Metroid franchise in the best way possible. After his inclusion, there aren't really any other Metroid characters that could make it or have enough merit for it, or who are just workable in general, unless you really grasp for straws, or someone becomes suddenly immensely popular. Sure, I don't have a lot of experience in Metroid games, but this is the vibe I have. Samus + ZSS + Ridley would basically be all I need to be satisfied with Metroid representation, and I feel like many others think the same way. That trio could last a really long time without adding anyone else to the lot. So, if Ridley does finally get in as a playable character, I don't think he'd ever be cut in future installments. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Neo Zero

Once Ridley gets in that door, you ain't getting him out. The doors to small.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Ooooh. Also, if Ridley gets in, I think it'd be pretty awesome to have a rendition of the Space Pirate theme in the three Prime games in SSB4. Like, Ridley brings his theme and the Space Pirate theme. That's like the cherry on top of the big Ridley cake, so it wouldn't be necessary, but it'd be cool.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Nah, no need to apologise. Just saw that it apparently is limited edition since they stopped making them and goes for super high prices online. Being the English bloke that I am, I like to go for anything that gains me money. Especially since my Wii doesn't work anymore. Then again, it is three brilliant games... decisions are tough, man. :yeahboi:
I would never, ever even contemplate selling the trilogy. The money I gain would not be worth what I lose.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I would never, ever even contemplate selling the trilogy. The money I gain would not be worth what I lose.
If I sold the Trilogy, I'd get the games as their original games or something. I mean, I can't even play the Trilogy as it is now. If I got it the other way, with them all as separate, I'd at least be able to play 1 and 2.

Not that I'm probably gonna sell the Trilogy in the first place, but if I was, I wouldn't just sell it for the hell of it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
:/ too bad that the Wifi thing does not work anymore....the last thing I could get with those friend vouchers I think, was the Meta Ridley diorama...and even, I can barely see the details, the "zooming" thing is so limited...also with the 3D models from the logbook...

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I personally feel like Ridley is the one and only Metroid rep we'd need to get in as a playable character to represent the Metroid franchise in the best way possible. After his inclusion, there aren't really any other Metroid characters that could make it or have enough merit for it, or who are just workable in general, unless you really grasp for straws, or someone becomes suddenly immensely popular. Sure, I don't have a lot of experience in Metroid games, but this is the vibe I have. Samus + ZSS + Ridley would basically be all I need to be satisfied with Metroid representation, and I feel like many others think the same way. That trio could last a really long time without adding anyone else to the lot. So, if Ridley does finally get in as a playable character, I don't think he'd ever be cut in future installments. Just my personal opinion, of course.
Well, if Ridley gets in Smash 4, I think we could get either Dark Samus or Anthony Higgs on Smash 5.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think we could get Dark Samus.

I don't think Nintendo would add Anthony Higgs, after what Other M did. They designed the stages off Other M because it was the latest Metroid game, but the chances are, they want to move onto greener pastures.

Top Bottom