• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just noticed his wing-shadow is rather bumpy.

Concept Artley confirmed?

Original pic for reference:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I still think (am hoping for) either a new model all together or something close to super metroid/prime

idk I don't dislike roidley he just isn't my favorite ridley

Morbi

Scavenger
I still think (am hoping for) either a new model all together or something close to super metroid/prime

I would not necessarily mind a Smash specific model; something akin to Link, I suppose. Our Hero is predominantly modeled after his Twilight Princess incarnation; however, it is quite clearly not his Twilight Princess Incarnation. The same could apply to Ridley. I am not keen on my Metroid, but apparently Samus is not entirely in her Other M variation. If I recall correctly, she takes elements from another game or something to that effect. So it is a possibility.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I would not necessarily mind a Smash specific model; something akin to Link, I suppose. Our Hero is predominantly modeled after his Twilight Princess incarnation; however, it is quite clearly not his Twilight Princess Incarnation. The same could apply to Ridley. I am not keen on my Metroid, but apparently Samus is not entirely in her Other M variation. If I recall correctly, she takes elements from another game or something to that effect. So it is a possibility.
I think a Smash specific model is a very real, and perhaps probable, possibility. Smash does have a tendency to take existing character designs and put its own spin on them. Characters like Peach, Link, Bowser, and Rosalina have designs clearly based on their usual appearances, yet have elements that are original to Smash. Some characters even have designs that are completely original to Smash, such as Pit, Palutena, and Mii Fighters. So I think it's very possible for Ridley to have his basic design tweaked a bit for an appearance in Smash, especially since his most recent design (and the one that would be easiest to translate into a playable character) is not very popular amongst fans. Fixing it up for Smash would be a pretty good idea.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
For a while now I've been having some ideas for how a future metroid game could possibly be. I was thinking it could be some alternate universe spinoff, taking on a more stylistic approach, kinda like a Metroid verson of MGR: Revengeance, with over the top moves and boss battles. But also keeping the explorative aspects of the Metroid series, with more streamlined areas don't actively hinder or slow you down.

Now be warned, this is a really big post once you open the spoiler tag.

The setting would be Metroid/Super Metroid-ish with Samus running around wrecking pirates and exploring weird caverns. The plot being basically just Samus Arriving on Zebes, shooting pirates and hunting metroids, while trying to discover the extent of the spare pirates's plans.

Gameplay-wise it would be more action oriented regarding battles, somewhat like Other M. Now, what I'm picturing isn't just Samus only shooting stuff in her way, but also being able to extend a beam-saber from her arm-cannon, hacking and slashing anything that dares come near you. This making combat more dynamic and hectic. The grapple-beam also could see more potential use as a means to grab and swing around enemies, pull smaller enemies towards you, or yourself up on top of larger enemies to better access weakpoints. Also, none of that "need to stand and recharge health when you're close to dying" or save rooms to completely fill up your health meter.What I have thought up is a more dynamic solution that goes with some changes to Samus's character. Namely, she is able to latch on and suck out some health from enemies themselves while in battle. This way, enemies still provide a means to heal yourself without having to run around collecting healthdrops everywhere. This mechanic does not work on bosses though, as they are meant to represent a greater challenge to the player's skill.

The controls would be more expansive than Other M could ever dream of. With a proper controller with a proper joystick and more than just two buttons, the controls for Samus would be so much better. Moving around consist of simply moving the joystick around, with walking/running depending on how hard you tap it. Targeting works automatically, though you'll be able to switch between targets with the tap of a button. the various beams work separately like in Prime, with the c/right analog stick switching between the various projectiles, including missiles. The speed-booster works by holding down a charge button while moving around, quickly building up enough energy to activate, thereby atleast doubling your running speed and hurting anyone in your way, though it is also more difficult to control where you go when you activate it. The morph-ball can also use the speed-boost, though in a similar manner to Sonic's spindash, where you can build up your charge while stationary before letting loose and zoom around.

The layout of the areas consists of smaller areas filled with enemy encounters, and larger areas that are more intended for exploration. The camera is mostly third-person, though with the option for switching to first-person. The difference here though is that while first-person can be used in combat, it is more meant for the purpose of examining your environments, giving you access to the scan-visor. It is also not mandatory for firing missiles, as they work as a regular projectile. The construction of the rooms and corridors are also not meant to be as deliberately slow-paced like those in Other M (which is a major flaw of that game), speed-boost isn't limited to areas where it is needed, it is usable everywhere you can find enough runway, which should be mostly everywhere. The bigger question should rather be if you really need to use the speed-booster depending on the area.
As you progress through the different areas, you'll earn new upgrades and weapons. While scanning the different areas can lead to unknown secrets and data-logs based on those of the Prime series, giving you a greater picture of the story and background elements of the Metroid universe. Cutscenes help drive the plot along, but in a more decent manner. Less talking, as actions should speak louder than words, with some cutscenes giving more insight to the different personalities of the bosses too. The story should unfold more at the player's leisure like Prime, than being force-fed down your throat like in Other M.

Samus herself has some changes to her backstory, she isn't simply infused with Chozo blood but also Metroid DNA from the start, thereby explaing her leeching ability. My new design for her suit is basically simplified fusion suit with modified parts of the varia suit added on top of it, thereby allowing her to keep iconic features like the large shoulders while also giving her a more slim and sleek appearance. She can also extend small needles from the tips of her fingers on the left hand of the suit, which she uses to stab enemies to drain health from them. The arm-cannon itself is also longer and heavier looking, with the added capability of projecting a beam-saber for close-quarter-combat, along with the left-arm blades and booster-enhanced kicks. Missiles also don't fire from the main arm-cannon, but a bazooka like add-on under the arm-cannon. Super-missiles are also a direct upgrade for the missiles, instead of a separate projectile, working more like they did in Other M with you having to charge a missile instead of just rapid firing them. while charging and firing the super-missile, Samus must remain stationart due to its power output, but if it hits something it does massive damage, thereby working along a high-risk high-reward system. The recharge mechanic for the missiles works like it does in Other M, as I don't see it as being a bad method for how the missiles work.

An idea for how Sammus could be denied access to her various weapons and abilities in a later game is that she's hit with a cybernetic attack that scrambles her suit's systems, thereby limiting her abilities until she manages to restore them one by one. (makes more sense than bloody "authorization" or being degraded just by slamming into a wall).

The boss battles I imagine to be some really epic and cool stuff.

Kraid
Kraid I picture in this vast, curcular room that's really tall, with Kraid himself in the center surrounded by scaffolds/plattforms. The floor is covered in magma, with the platforms gradually sinking/breaking apart as Kraid himself breaks through them trying to attack Samus. The objective is to ascend the platforms avoiding attacks from Kraid and regular space-pirates, until you reach high enough to shoot the giant alien dino in his face, to so repeat the process until the giant falls. Kraid attacks with belly-spike projectiles, claw strikes/projectiles, tail swipes and lunging bites/headbutts. The whole fight works in a 2.5D plane, with Samus in the foreground, and Kraid in the background, and the platforms looping.

Draygon
The fight against Draygon I see as a giant chase sequence, where you first have to run down a huge underwater corridor with the giant crustacean chasing you. Eventually you make it into a large room where the real fight starts. The main objective here is to continuosly wear down Draygon until she falls over stunned, then you have to grapple her with the grapple-beam and swing her around until you hit one of several power-outlets spread around the arena to actually hurt her. in the meanwhile you also have to deal with both Draygon herself, and the occasional Evirs that get summoned to hurt/harass you. Draygon's attacks are a powerful charge, a deadly grab that moves on to a full body slam then floorgrind, acid projectiles and a shockwave that pushes you away.

Phantoon
The Phantoon fight is based around a game of "hide and seek", where the area you fight the ghost in is a massive ghost-ship which is suffering power outages. The main objective is to carefully manouver around while being alert, because as long as the power is out Phantoon will continuosly haunt you, randomly popping into existence to attack you only to then disappear, also remaining invincible while the power is out. To flush him out you have to bring the power back online, thereby giving you a window to attack him, before he absorbs all the energy in the ship and brings it back offline. This goes on as you progress through the whole area, with each encounter being more like a mini-boss encounter, untill you reach the final room, the main generator, where the final encounter with Phantoon happens. Here it is more like how it was in Super Metroid with Phantoon occassionaly popping into existence, during which he can be harmed. I haven't quite figured out his attacls yet, but he already has some with his ghost-flames and tentacle swipes. I also see him messing with the player themselves by sometimes suddenly appearing directly on the screen, his one eye taking up most of just sitting there moving around while he makes scary noises. A big part of the encounters with Phantoon and the ghost ship in general is how it builds up thiscreepy atmosphere, it is meant to give the players real chills down their backs.

Ridley
Yes, Ridley himself. What I picture isn't just Ridley just appearing for one boss encounter, but to continuosly hound Samus throughout the game, activating traps and defense systems to impede your progress. Here, he shows his intelligence through his behaviour, especially in cutscenes which really show how cold and calculating he can be. I picture one scene having him looking at several camera-feeds, ending with a gradual close-up on his face as he narrows his eyes in thought.
The Main battle against him takes place in a large arena where it's an all-out fight. Ridley has a multitude of attacks, consisting of claw swipes, tail swipes, tail stabs, chomping lunges, flying charges, plasma-streams, explosive plasma-balls, his iconic grabs, activating turrets, summoning space pirates. He can also activate electricity on the floor by pushing down all the generator-rods that are spread throughout the stage. This activates another phase of the battle where Samus has to avoid the floor by continuously space-jumping and grapple-beaming from point to point, all while avoiding Ridley as he tries to attack you in the air. I picture the grapple-beaam giving you a large amount of airtime between switching between grapple-points, thereby giving you a small window to counter attack Ridley.
At the end, Ridley manages to narrowly escape, but is out of the count for the rest of the story.

Mother Brain
Mother Brain herself is a stationary boss for the first phase, remaining rooted in the centerof the arena. That is not to mean that she's an easy target though, as her defensive systems is a real workout to avoid while trying to get a shot at her. barriers, turrets, rinkas, missiles, huge energy beams, moving barriers and hazardous walls of energy, and rapidly rising pillars of energy makes moving around a challenge. When you finally manage to break her glass casing open and hurt her enough, the fight moves on to phase 2. Now she pulls out the giant body and starts actively moving around. The defensive systems may be out, but that doesn't mean the battle is gonna be any easier. Mother Brain herself is deceptively fast despite her size, and she still has access to turrets, missiles, frickin' lazerbeams, coupled with her stomping around, kicking and slashing at you and occassionally pulling out pices of wreckage to throw at you for massive damage. When you finally beat her, the traditional countdown starts and you must hightail it outta there before the base blows up (only the base, I feel the whole planet is a bit of an overkill)

So you make it out, finish the game and get rewarded with an ending screen that varies depending on your item percentage. But wait, there's more. Depending onhow many items you've collected you'll unlock several alternate costumes, and not only that. By continuing the already existing saave-file, or starting up a new-game-plus file, you'll be able to access a completely new area after beting the main story and getting a 100% completion. The area in question? Chozodia! Here you'll pass through a harrowing gauntlet meant to test the skills of the players, with an ultimate boss challenge, the Final Trial. Beat it, and you'll earn the secret ending.

If you guys want it, I'll post some sketches of my visual designs for how it would look when I get them done. Anyways, what do you guys think of it? I'd like to hear your opinions on my ideas.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That's my hope ultimately. We know that Roidley will have some sort of input in the design due to the tail spike that appears in the shadow scene, but if we look at Samus, while she does indeed have a mostly OM inspired look, there are still elements from other games (namely Super Metroid) that is added to the mix. So with that in mind, I imagine that the design will be that of Roidley overall, but will still have small changes here and there (we can tell by the shadow he isn't as buff for example). At the very least I hope his duck bill is fixed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Concept Art Other M Ridley would be way better. He'd still base Ridley on the Other M design but without looking as crappy.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The only way Roidley would look as bad as in the actual game is if Sakurai was incredibly lazy concerning Metroid and didn't necessarily care when it came to representing Metroid as a franchise.

oh wait **** guys we're screwed

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I have faith in Sakurai that Ridley will look good, I mean has there ever been an objectively bad character model in smash?

Cpt.

Smash Lord

New model would be beautiful. Something that isn't as scrawny as old Ridley and something that isn't as bad as new Ridley.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
What's wrong with Ganondorf? He looks fine, the problem is his moveset sucks ***.
Oh yeah I was thinking about moveset when I read that. He appearance isn't bad.... it's mostly the fact that his taunt actually taunts us by saying "hey I have a sword.....but I won't use it".

Edit:

The problem is he can't transform into Ridley, and also be a second character slot that is only ridley, and also he didn't kill samus' parents.
oh yeah and that ^^^

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Brawl Ganondorf looks like a grandpa. 'Nuff said

Also random question. I'm sorry if I sound incredibly stupid for asking this, but is the @ Angelglory Angelglory here the same one who makes Tales of Advent Brawl machinima of YouTube?

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 16665 Ridley and Characters select Leak!? Final Roster!?
No new Fire Emblem rep?
Pokemon Trainer back?

edit: just noticed the many other screwups: no Greninja, no Charizard, no Ganondorf, etc.

Still I like seeing these roster mock-ups / leaks. If anyone finds any more (somewhat believable, and with Ridley, of course), plz post them!

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So I got a bit of a theory for you guys, tell me how it sounds

some vets got their announcements pushed back, (zzs/zelda/shiek/char) because a mechanic had changed, there were no transformations. therefore he held back this character announcement for a bigger event to coincide with the gameplay description

this happened again with palutena/mii, but instead of vets and changed mechanic it was newcomers and new mechanics

maybe Ridley has a new mechanic associated with him and that's a reason why schlee hasn't been announced yet. Could have something to do with the extraneous wing flapping we saw.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
So I got a bit of a theory for you guys, tell me how it sounds

some vets got their announcements pushed back, (zzs/zelda/shiek/char) because a mechanic had changed, there were no transformations. therefore he held back this character announcement for a bigger event to coincide with the gameplay description

this happened again with palutena/mii, but instead of vets and changed mechanic it was newcomers and new mechanics

maybe Ridley has a new mechanic associated with him and that's a reason why schlee hasn't been announced yet. Could have something to do with the extraneous wing flapping we saw.
I predicted that he could actually fly (or at least levitate forever) a LONG LONG time ago. I still hold that belief.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I predicted that he could actually fly (or at least levitate forever) a LONG LONG time ago. I still hold that belief.
I honestly feel the same way; that would certainly be a unique mechanic applicable to only our favorite space dragon. I feel as though they should utilize his flight in a more significant way than Peach. That might just be me (even though it is not).

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Thats not really a bad design though, it was based on the mario 64 version of bowser which was somewhat "dark". Of course now it looks nothing like Bowser but for when melee came out that is fairly accurate to how he looked and was perceived.

Top Bottom