• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@Prime
Having your mistake lead to your friend's death probably is a different degree of guilt than having your mistake lead to your friend taking a short fall. It just would have more impact if they did that... I mean, Other M already had some pretty dark elements, such as the Deleter systematically murdering his friends.

It's like... would Bruce Wayne have become Batman if his parents merely got mugged? He'd hate muggers, sure, but it wouldn't be a super hero origin story.
Samus did not learn that Anthony survived until the very end of the adventure.

She felt guilty for half the game.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I agree with Dark Phazon. Bowser teaming up with Mario makes a lot more sense than Ridley teaming up with Samus... anything that actually made Ridley and Samus join forces would seem completely contrived.

But, I suppose I could elevate my suspension of disbelief for a game where you can ride Ridley into battle.
I didnt say that at all..lol but yh your right and thanks for being nice :)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@Dark Phazon
Hehe- mostly, I agreed with your statement about Ridley doing something good, and then started thinking about it in terms of him teaming up with Samus to "fight a greater evil".

@Swampasaur
Eh, I mean, I didn't reach that point in the game. My point still stands... having Anthony come back later in the game (read: later in the day) would be essentially the same as having him climb up and yell "Yo Sammy, I'm fine!" immediately after falling. It means very little for Samus as a character... like watching those TV shows where everything gets resolved and reset to status quo by the end of each episode.

It'd be like if young Bruce Wayne thought that his parents were gunned down in an alleyway, but found out later that the bullets actually were stopped by Mr. Wayne's wallet and Mrs. Wayne's jewelry. Still not a superhero origin story.

I'm completely determined to bring Batman up as many times as I can.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@Dark Phazon
Hehe- mostly, I agreed with your statement about Ridley doing something good, and then started thinking about it in terms of him teaming up with Samus to "fight a greater evil".

@Swampasaur
Eh, I mean, I didn't reach that point in the game. My point still stands... having Anthony come back later in the game (read: later in the day) would be essentially the same as having him climb up and yell "Yo Sammy, I'm fine!" immediately after falling. It means very little for Samus as a character... like watching those TV shows where everything gets resolved and reset to status quo by the end of each episode.

It'd be like if young Bruce Wayne thought that his parents were gunned down in an alleyway, but found out later that the bullets actually were stopped by Mr. Wayne's wallet and Mrs. Wayne's jewelry. Still not a superhero origin story.

I'm completely determined to bring Batman up as many times as I can.
Loool try the spiderman movies were his uncle died from armed robbery.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ridley might as well go on a diet if Sakurai were to consider him as a fighter. :troll:

But all jokes aside, he should be in since he's the second most popular Metroid character as well as the most reoccurring antagonist of the franchise.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I cannot even see the two team up to fight a greater evil. Like, maybe indirectly they could benefit from one another, but to actively help each other... in person. Just. Does not seem possible. I think you'd have to explain Ridley's backstory completely, why does he do the things he does. Otherwise who, much less SAMUS, could ever sympathize with him.

ANYWAY, I KNOW I WOULD JUST REALLY APPRECIATE HEARING RIDLEY TALK IN THE SERIES. Probably too late for that now though. I bet he'd have a cool voice.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think I'd prefer it to be a deep voice instead of a shrieking higher voice. Something that indicates a cold intelligence that belies his bestial nature in combat.

Something, like, say, the low rumble that Bane had in the newest Batman movie.

SUCCESSFULLY BROUGHT IN B-MAN. Yessss. Even though I haven't even seen that film.

@Dark Phazon
... Huh, yeah, Spider-man is actually a better example, because his Uncle's death was partially because of mistakes Spidey made... Guess I'll have to start throwing out Peter Parker references. This is what happens when I surf the internet with Justice League cartoons in the background.

bobadz

Smash Ace
So, if Ridley gets in with his other M design (Not other M evolution gimmick), would that effect your excitement?

It would be a *** "What the heck?" move to me because the only people I think that like other M are the staff of the Metroid Database. But they hate the prime trilogy. Most everyone else including Nintendo staff know how unpopular other m is. Then again Sakurai did give fox and falco designs based on Star Fox Command.

Also I think Ryusei Nakao would be a good Ridley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k988rk4IL-o

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Then again Sakurai did give fox and falco designs based on Star Fox Command.
I remember the game being poorly received, but were the costumes of the characters within the game poorly received as well? I don't think that was the case.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No everyone hated the Command looks cause they got reminded of that game's existance I think. Which I still don't really get, cause I liked Command for what it was worth. Panther was especially amazing to play as

bobadz

Smash Ace
Star fox command had a good concept (STAYING IN THE DAMN ARWING for one) but its execution (all ways all range mode) and story were ****.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Panther was especially amazing to play as
Hell yeah.

Also, assuming Ridley's backstory involved being screwed over by the Galactic Federation (his species driven to extinction or whatever), maybe it would be understandable why he would wish to threaten them so much. I guess that would make him a more sympathetic character. And since Samus has begun to realize how ****ty they are, I guess a Samus/Ridley team up isn't as farfetched after all...

ANYWAY, I don't like Frieza's voice for Ridley. Wouldn't say it's NOT fitting, but I would expect something deeper.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe Samus will find her own Little Birdie and it becomes a friendly Ridley or something?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I got one question.

Little Birdey is a clone of Ridley right? It was born and raised on the Bottle Ship.

So how did he know (and thus hate) Samus?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Frieza's voice kind of implies a little bit of sinister insanity, while I think of Ridley as being more calculating and cruel except when he goes berserk in battle. So, yep, deeper, slower, more emotional range.

Does Ridley actually seem to have something specifically against the Galactic Federation? I think of them as largely being good targets for technology theft and an antagonistic policing force. It does seem like Ridley's species is rather rare though, so maybe they were driven to extinction by GF.

D

Deleted member

Need a deep villain voice? Why not Norio Wakamoto?

Or is that TOO good of a voice for Ridley?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I got one question.

Little Birdey is a clone of Ridley right? It was born and raised on the Bottle Ship.

Genetic memory? Who knows.

Norio Wakamoto isn't actually a bad voice for Ridley either, lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gilbert Gottfried as Ridley. It's the only solution...picture it.

"HEY SAMUS, I KILLED YOU'RE PARENTS!"

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Do we even know if he did hate her? or are you guys just assuming the clone did? He was a genetic clone thrown into an environment his species isnt used to, and since he is a vicious creature its safe to say he was acting just like any other wild animal. Theres no reason to think he attacked samus for any other reason than most animals do, the original ridley had a vendetta yes, but that one was just basically being what he was.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do we even know if he did hate her? or are you guys just assuming the clone did? He was a genetic clone thrown into an environment his species isnt used to, and since he is a vicious creature its safe to say he was acting just like any other wild animal. Theres no reason to think he attacked samus for any other reason than most animals do, the original ridley had a vendetta yes, but that one was just basically being what he was.
This Ridley actively attacked Samus when he first say her in his teenager phase, while ignoring the people who he was already fighting.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
@Prime
Having your mistake lead to your friend's death probably is a different degree of guilt than having your mistake lead to your friend taking a short fall. It just would have more impact if they did that... I mean, Other M already had some pretty dark elements, such as the Deleter systematically murdering his friends.

It's like... would Bruce Wayne have become Batman if his parents merely got mugged? He'd hate muggers, sure, but it wouldn't be a super hero origin story.
Normally I'd agree with you there, but before Other M came out I had gotten tired of Samus's friends usually always dying (Rundas, etc.), so I was glad one actually survived for a change, even if it was executed in a somewhat cheesy manner.

I think I'd prefer it to be a deep voice instead of a shrieking higher voice. Something that indicates a cold intelligence that belies his bestial nature in combat.

Something, like, say, the low rumble that Bane had in the newest Batman movie.

SUCCESSFULLY BROUGHT IN B-MAN. Yessss. Even though I haven't even seen that film.
Ridley speaking like TDKR Bane? lol I'd have mixed feelings about that, but it could be interesting to see... maybe. You just gave me a funny image of Ridley saying "Ahh, you think darkness is your ally" to Samus and all that. =x

So, if Ridley gets in with his other M design (Not other M evolution gimmick), would that effect your excitement?
To an extent maybe. I'd be a bit disappointed that they didn't stick to the Super Metroid design, but if they gave him some of his new abilities exclusive to Other M like hardening his skin which made him immune to most projectiles, then it would kinda make up for it for me.

D

Deleted member

This Ridley actively attacked Samus when he first say her in his teenager phase, while ignoring the people who he was already fighting.
To play Devil's Advocate, it could have just been an instinct to take down the bigger threat first.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The thing is, Other M is the only game that seemed designed to give her a personality... making it the only game in which her friends dying would count. Besides, she basically just met Rundas, right? She trained with the Galactic Guys, they have interacted with her outside of her faceless power suit. They actually were friends instead of friendly allies. Also, Other M took place during her more vulnerable character formation period instead of later when she's a battle-hardened, fearless hunter. And-

OH GOOD LORD, I just looked up Ridley's Other M design. What the WHAT? That's terrible, augh, why? When I played, I only got to see the "mystery creature" form, not that... muscle-bound armstrosity. I'm seriously boggled at how hideous that is.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To play Devil's Advocate, it could have just been an instinct to take down the bigger threat first.
If it was to take down the biggest threat first, then I would think he'd go after Anthony first since he had the big plasma cannon.

The thing is, Other M is the only game that seemed designed to give her a personality...
In Fusion she had an established personality too, so no.

Point made on the other stuff though I suppose, except Other M took place between Super and Fusion, so that's pretty damn late in the timeline.

And talking about Ridley's Other M design is just beating on a dead horse at this point, so I won't comment on that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
This reminds me that one cool thing they did for Ridley in Other M was that he could just naturally COMMAND.. things. Doesn't make much sense, and in a way sort of takes away Ridley's credibility as either being a commander out of fear or out of respect... BUT IT WAS COOL.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This reminds me that one cool thing they did for Ridley in Other M was that he could just naturally COMMAND.. things. Doesn't make much sense, and in a way sort of takes away Ridley's credibility as either being a commander out of fear or out of respect... BUT IT WAS COOL.
Well it showed that Ridley could lead creatures on a genetic level, which was a nice touch. When he made that screech or whatever, other experiments/clones in the Bottleship yielded to him.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
BY THE WAY PRIME, don't you frequent Metroid Database? Do they discuss Smash 4 stuff at all.

I remember going there at one point, expecting lots of Ridley support, but instead things like "Space Pirate" and "Galactic Federation Soldier" were more popular since Ridley was too big.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used to go to Metroid Database WAY back in the day

Before even Prime, I think

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ridley fans, why do you want Ridley in Smash bros?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
If it was to take down the biggest threat first, then I would think he'd go after Anthony first since he had the big plasma cannon.

In Fusion she had an established personality too, so no.

Point made on the other stuff though I suppose, except Other M took place between Super and Fusion, so that's pretty damn late in the timeline.

And talking about Ridley's Other M design is just beating on a dead horse at this point, so I won't comment on that.
Dang, looks like I gotta brush up on my Metroid timeline... I unfortunately have only played the NES, SNES, Gamecube, original GameBoy, and Wii Metroid games, good to know that she had a personality in Fusion. I missed out on the other handheld Metroid games.

For some reason, I thought Other M took place a lot sooner in the timeline, but I'm sure you're right. It's just that the way she acted in the game seemed much more like a younger rookie because of the young-sounding voice and since she was still so invested in pleasing the army guys. I wish they kept Jennifer Hale as her voice actress... She's my favorite voice actress and she does badass female space warrior better than anyone else (J.Hale voiced Samus's grunts and such in the Prime series I believe, and she voiced female Shepard in Mass Effect).

As for who Ridley attacked- it's not ridiculous to deal with the weakest threat first too, so you end up with fewer enemies attacking you. In the end, it's kind of hard to say what influenced his attack decisions. Maybe he just hates bright orange and red colors.

Good to know that it's generally agreed upon that Other M's Ridley design is a mistake, though... low chance of that being his selected design for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Note that Teen Ridley didn't know about the power of the plasma cannon until he was hit by it, then he fled. In a DBZ power level example, it's likely Samus' armor gave off a higher power level to Ridley than Anthony did.
After that, Samus was pretty much easy prey in the next encounter, what with being frozen up right in front of him and all. Even when Anthony showed up, no instinctive hunter would go after another target when dinner practically had been delivered to their doorstep. So Ridley decided to take his meal To Go, only going after Anthony when he made him drop his doggie bag. :troll:

EDIT: No but seriously, there was probably some genetic instinct within the clone about Samus. Alien genetics tend to be a huge source of confusion, so that's the best guess.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley fans, why do you want Ridley in Smash bros?
He's a cool, popular and important character. That should be enough.

And even if it isn't, HE'S A PURPLE SPACE DRAGON!!

How many of those do you see everyday?

Top Bottom