• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ridley doesn't even have a conscience, is an animal. His role in a story mode could be only one consisted of "appears, breaks/kills everything he can, gets defeated".
He's not an actual "character".
While it's true that we don't get a strong sense of the details of his personality, he is most certainly a sentient character. He's a general of a space-faring war group composed of several ferocious and intelligent races, and was leading the Space Pirates before Mother Brain ever came around. It's just a pity that the Metroid games have no dialogue... I feel like there's a strong implication that Ridley and Samus actually have had conversations.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
While it's true that we don't get a strong sense of the details of his personality, he is most certainly a sentient character. He's a general of a space-faring war group composed of several ferocious and intelligent races, and was leading the Space Pirates before Mother Brain ever came around. It's just a pity that the Metroid games have no dialogue... I feel like there's a strong implication that Ridley and Samus actually have had conversations.
I'm pretty sure what happened between Ridley and Samus in Other M was meant to confirm the sort of relationship they have, since the developers never had the chance to before (due to the tech most likely, and the Prime series was handled by a different team). OF COURSE, DOING SOMETHING LIKE THAT SO LATE IN THE SERIES JUST SCREAMS POOR WRITING.

D

Deleted member

"Remember me, Samus? When I killed your mother *increasing pitch in voice* I talked JUST. LIKE. THIIIIIS!"

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure what happened between Ridley and Samus in Other M was meant to confirm the sort of relationship they have, since the developers never had the chance to before (due to the tech most likely, and the Prime series was handled by a different team). OF COURSE, DOING SOMETHING LIKE THAT SO LATE IN THE SERIES JUST SCREAMS POOR WRITING.
What actually happened between the two in Other M? I hated the game so much that I couldn't finish it. I gather that Samus essentially gets freaked the freak out when she sees Ridley when she was absolutely not expecting it?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
"Remember me, Samus? When I killed your mother *increasing pitch in voice* I talked JUST. LIKE. THIIIIIS!"
Lol Roger Rabbit

Well I guess I was wrong about Ridley after all. From the games I've played though I didn't notice anything like that. I haven't read the manga nor I intend to, though.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
What actually happened between the two in Other M? I hated the game so much that I couldn't finish it. I gather that Samus essentially gets freaked the freak out when she sees Ridley when she was absolutely not expecting it?
- -Spoilers- - (I don't know how to do the black bar thing.)
She freezes up terrified and Anthony jumps in and starts to fight Ridley gets his ass handed to him and is pitched over the rail into a lava pit to die. This causes Samus to snap out of it and go all stone cold killer (about the only time in the game) and then you fight Ridley.

Though to be fair I enjoyed playing the game. The gameplay was all kinds of fun. The characters just weren't executed well. The story over all was pretty good.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That's basically it. Ridley appears and Samus has a mental breakdown. There's a sort of flashback that doesn't do a very good job of explaining anything, but what you're supposed to get from it is that Samus met Ridley when she was a child. I DON'T THINK YOUR AVERAGE PLAYER WOULD GATHER EVEN THAT MUCH, MUCH LESS THAT RIDLEY DESTROYED HER HOME ..COLONY AND KILLED HER PARENTS. Which is why I feel this was largely a callback to the manga, meaning to confirm it as canon. The mental breakdown thing I feel was another callback to the manga. The same thing happened more or less, Samus met Ridley for the first time since she was a child, and this was how she views him in her mind:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Last I've checked, Ridley is pure evil, so he'd most likely be against the heroes until he has to reluctantly join them to face a bigger threat.
yeah, and against the enemies, too. I think of him like a lone wolf, trying to fulfill whatever of his OWN plans he has, and will destroy anyone in his way. maybe.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, Prime 3 was a step in the right direction, in that sense. That (and online multiplayer) is the kinda stuff I'd hope to see in a new metroid.
After Metroid Prime Hunters, I honestly wouldn't care for multiplayer in Metroid anymore, not that it was bad (before hackers started playing it at least), but eh... That's what other shooter franchises are for. Metroid should just stick to what it does best; the single player. Won't be mad if it has multiplayer in some game again though, but chances are I just wouldn't play it much.

And yeah, Ridley does have much of a persona in the manga which is generally accepted as canon as far as what happened before the events of the first game, but most wouldn't even know it exists of course.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh, interesting. Well, that makes sense to me... doesn't bug me nearly as much as the rest of "Lady" Samus's characterization in that game. Sucks that her freezing up got one of her friends killed, though. That can't feel good.

I have to say, even without much known personality, Ridley's a much better villain than Mother Brain ever was.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In Other M the freezing up didn't get one of her friends killed, just... out of commission for awhile.

edit: And yeah, in terms of sheer villainy Ridley's pretty much unrivaled in the series, despite not being as physically powerful as the likes of Mother Brain or Dark Samus in most cases.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I also don't see why I should care if you're concerned

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley also told Samus to pay her respects to the cells of his body that were healed by eating the flesh of her parents after PAPA SAMUS caused an explosion in a vain attempt to kill Ridley. Then he stomped on her head.

I MEAN, IN TERMS OF EVIL, MAYBE GANONDORF OR SOME FIRE EMBLEM FELLOWS BEAT HIM OUT IN THE SCALE OF THE ACTS THEY CAUSE, BUT GOSH DARN IF THAT LEVEL OF EVIL ON A PERSONAL LEVEL ISN'T OFF THE CHARTS. Then again Ridley is said to be a threat to the whole Galaxy, so.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
After Metroid Prime Hunters, I honestly wouldn't care for multiplayer in Metroid anymore, not that it was bad (before hackers started playing it at least), but eh... That's what other shooter franchises are for. Metroid should just stick to what it does best; the single player. Won't be mad if it has multiplayer in some game again though, but chances are I just wouldn't play it much.

And yeah, Ridley does have much of a persona in the manga which is generally accepted as canon as far as what happened before the events of the first game, but most wouldn't even know it exists of course.
i loved prime hunter's multiplayer (before the hackers)

Same with Prime 2, it was a lot of fun. I agree, the game is about the single player, but it has a lot of potential for a fun MM mode.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, interesting. Well, that makes sense to me... doesn't bug me nearly as much as the rest of "Lady" Samus's characterization in that game. Sucks that her freezing up got one of her friends killed, though. That can't feel good.
Anthony ended up living actually.

It just looked like he died.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Pfft. Boo on Other M for pulling their punches, then. Making protagonists hate themselves, their mistakes, and their villains is important for character growth!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anthony Higgs was the most awesome thing about Other M. I only replayed it cause of him. And it was actually pretty good. One the first person thing can be very annoying. However it was implemented great in the Nightmare battles compared to the rest of the game. They tried too much their best to get ahead of their time I guess. The story was also pretty deep.

Never completed a Prime game actually. I missed all artifacts in Prime 1, despite having mostly all weaponary. Never knew about no damn artifacts... Might go and replay it soon though.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pfft. Boo on Other M for pulling their punches, then. Making protagonists hate themselves, their mistakes, and their villains is important for character growth!
Is this a compliment? An insult?

I honestly can't tell.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Is this a compliment? An insult?

I honestly can't tell.
There wasn't any sarcasm in it- I genuinely would've been happier having Samus feel guilty for allowing a perceived weakness directly result in a friend of hers dying. It would've been an impressive character point in an otherwise insipid character arc. But I get how it could've sounded sarcastic- I get that a lot.

I didn't have too many huge problems with the gameplay... It didn't feel like a Metroid game, but props to them for trying something different. I did feel like a lot of the more complicated fights had rather similar mechanics (dodge, dodge, shoot, wait for weakpoint to appear, first person, missile). It was almost entirely my hate at the characterization and the fact that you actually unlock very few abilities... mostly Samus just waiting for her daddy figure to "allow" her to use weapons in order to save herself from swarms of deadly foes. I hate that their view of Samus's military career in the distant future was that the Galactic Federation army was still a boy's club where she was the only female recruit. Ergh. Anyway. I could rant more, but... none of this is really related to Ridley.

Ridley, who is awesome, and should get more characterization. MAYBE A PREQUEL GAME WHERE YOU PLAY AS HIM AND TAKE OVER THE SPACE PIRATES AND LEAD THE ZEBESIANS TO CONQUEST AND GLORY?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is it only Ridley-for-Smash fans that want a METROID game where you can play as Ridley. I've seen that idea before, even suggested it. I wonder if that's a popular idea among Metroid fans in general.

I FEEL SORRY FOR ANY WRITER WHO HAS TO SOMEHOW GET SAMUS AND RIDLEY TO WORK TOGETHER AND IT MAKE SENSE.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Actually, I'd be wanting a game called Metroid: Legends of Heroes and Hunters that essentially lets you play through a number of disconnected vignettes/short stories as different characters in order to flesh out their backstories. This might include things such as:

The story of Samus's parents, ultimately ending with them making sure baby Samus is safe as Ridley attacks their space station. This would lead into:

The story of young Samus being raised by the Chozo and what it was like being the only human among a group of monkish aliens. It would show the circumstances of her first acquiring the Power Suit, and the extinction of the Chozo.

Ridley taking control of the Space Pirates. This would give background information on Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain.

Other stories that give information on the different Hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters.

These shorter stories could be unlocked by finding holodiscs during an actual main story where you control Samus as she investigates something that vaguely connects some of these stories.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I FEEL SORRY FOR ANY WRITER WHO HAS TO SOMEHOW GET SAMUS AND RIDLEY TO WORK TOGETHER AND IT MAKE SENSE.
Easy. Have scientists come up with a device that can controll someone's emotions/body. if emotions, make ridley not hate samus(and vice versa). and if body, well, you know the rest.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Is that really what you want, Legend o' Frob. Keep your crazy fanfiction out of my Metroid.

Incidentally, since we were talking about Ridley's personality:

Always wondered why he would make that face.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Is that really what you want, Legend o' Frob. Keep your crazy fanfiction out of my Metroid.

Incidentally, since we were talking about Ridley's personality:

Always wondered why he would make that face.
Where did you get the second picture from?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Gross.

@Cudie M. Beepy: That would be really cool. Metroid definitely has a world that could be fleshed out more.
Another ones of the short vignettes? The unexpected Romeo+Juliet story of Samus and Ridley's love.

Also: Cudie M. Beepy, hehe.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, the villain (in this case Ridley) has more or less always been a part of Samus's character growth.

Anthony Higgs was the most awesome thing about Other M. I only replayed it cause of him. And it was actually pretty good. One the first person thing can be very annoying. However it was implemented great in the Nightmare battles compared to the rest of the game. They tried too much their best to get ahead of their time I guess. The story was also pretty deep.

Never completed a Prime game actually. I missed all artifacts in Prime 1, despite having mostly all weaponary. Never knew about no damn artifacts... Might go and replay it soon though.
Dew itt!!1 If you're not sure where to look for any of the artifacts, return to the Artifact Temple in Tallon Overworld and scan the Chozo totems, as they give you hints.

There wasn't any sarcasm in it- I genuinely would've been happier having Samus feel guilty for allowing a perceived weakness directly result in a friend of hers dying. It would've been an impressive character point in an otherwise insipid character arc. But I get how it could've sounded sarcastic- I get that a lot.
Samus did feel guilty for her moment of weakness, what are you talking about?

Is it only Ridley-for-Smash fans that want a METROID game where you can play as Ridley. I've seen that idea before, even suggested it. I wonder if that's a popular idea among Metroid fans in general.

Sadly, I think the idea of the different hunters from MPH (Sylux, Weavel, etc.) having their own games was actually more popular than the idea of Ridley having one amongst the fanbase, from what I had seen anyway. But yeah, it was something I used to talk about here and there during pre-Brawl, and even wrote a few good elaborate paragraphs on how I thought the story and gameplay would be for a Ridley game, which is somewhere in the recycle bin of the interwebs now... One of the things I remember talking about though was that since Rids could breathe in space, it'd be fun to control him smashing through random Federation ships in outer space with his sheer strength and all.

And lol, yeah. That last part goes without saying. It'd probably make more sense or be more simple if Ridley the game was just another one of those Space Pirates vs GF scenarios, where there's no Samus or bounty hunters unless the Federation calls in for some if they're out of other options. While Rids and Samus working together could maybe be cool if done right, it's just a fanfictionish concept at best, as mentioned.

Where did you get the second picture from?
It's from the first act of the Metroid manga. They colored the first couple arcs when Nintendo was advertising it on the official Metroid site way back when, which shows they intended the manga (and Ridley's persona in it) to be part of the canon.

D

Deleted member

Maybe somewhere deep in that murderous evil beast, there's dare I say it, a sense of remorse over the actions he has done?

I mean, despite his appearance, little Samus saw Ridley as a friend she has not yet met. And her world would soon be taken from her right before her eyes because of his raid. So killing the helpless little girl could have possibly been an act of pity or mercy knowing full well the endless suffering that would be upon her if he hadn't.

Now the question raises; why couldn't Ridley just abduct her by abusing her views on friendship and use her for his own evil purposes by turning her into a coldhearted killer like he is? Or would that have shown a sign of weakness on his part that would result in a Space Pirate rebellion?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Samus and Ridley could always team up to fight some 'greater evil' though?

D

Deleted member

Ironically, wasn't there a scrapped idea from one of the Primes that Ridley would have been possessed by a Chozo spirit and become "good"?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@Prime
Having your mistake lead to your friend's death probably is a different degree of guilt than having your mistake lead to your friend taking a short fall. It just would have more impact if they did that... I mean, Other M already had some pretty dark elements, such as the Deleter systematically murdering his friends.

It's like... would Bruce Wayne have become Batman if his parents merely got mugged? He'd hate muggers, sure, but it wouldn't be a super hero origin story.

@GoldenYu
I would love, love, to see a badass human Space Pirate that was abducted and trained from a young age. Maybe part of their program to investigate Chozo technology, someone that's been specifically trained to hunt down Samus. Kind of a space-age Janissary assassin.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I agree with Dark Phazon. Bowser teaming up with Mario makes a lot more sense than Ridley teaming up with Samus... anything that actually made Ridley and Samus join forces would seem completely contrived.

But, I suppose I could elevate my suspension of disbelief for a game where you can ride Ridley into battle.

Top Bottom