• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm noticing people get jumpy when "racist" gets thrown around. I apologize, I suppose some things shouldn't be joked about so casually. Ridley views all people equally inferior, regardless of color, and so do I.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Meh the outrage of a Youtube ranting like a madman on something so unimportant is not even worth looking at for more then 3 seconds anyway. I couldn't really understand his point, it just seemed like a lot of outrage over something that really doesn't impact one's life.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, when you boil that video/rant down to its core, there are essentially only two points made against Ridley.

1.) Existence of "better" Metroid characters, specifically the other bounty hunters. Now, please do correct me if my research is off here, but those hunters he mentioned only appear in a single game. Ridley, on the other hand, is the second most recurring character in the series apart from Samus herself, as well as a ver important character to the overall plot and to Samus as a character. Pretty invalid point there. There's a reason not many people mention them.

2.) Ridley is too big, and Ridley is not Ridley if he is not large. That's kind of a matter of opinion, as the same logic could likely be applied to characters like Bowser or K. Rool if they had not already been resized for spin offs. I personally would say his defining characteristic is the intricate relationship he has with Samus compared to the other monsters Samus faces in the series, but that's just my opinion. And of course, actually resizing Ridley is not an issue if they want to make him playable.

Well, that was easy to refute. I like how he acts like his argument is the absolute end to all Ridley support.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's what I don't get.
People say that Ridley can't be resized, or he wouldn't feel like Ridley, but A RIDLEY SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN BOWSER IS A GOOD SIZE AND STILL PRETTY HUGE.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Personally my favorite anti-Ridley argument is :
"He have been etablished as a boss in Brawl" before adding "so he'll be a boss or a stage hazard".
Way to destroy your own argument.

It's even more hilarious when Ridley have been the most diverse character in Smash so far :
SSB 64 : Background Character.
Melee : Appear in the Intro cutscene and as a trophy.
Brawl : Was going to be an assist trophy/Appear twice as a boss/Have two theme songs/A stage/2 trophies/Stickers.
SSB4 : A stage so far.

Yeah he indeed have been etablished as a boss and is less important than the hunters.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Has anyone seen this?
I'll probably drop a post on that video, not about the 'too big' thing because that will get nowhere, but about how he percieves some random nobodies as the hunters more worthy then the most recurring and important boss in the franchise.

I'm noticing a correlation between being black and not wanting Ridley in Smash.
I'm black and Ridley's my most wanted character. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That guy went and said that Ridley supporters must not have played Metroid Prime Hunters or Metroid Prime 3.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Ridley gets confirmed, I want people to make combo videos for him, using videos like that as background audio. Seriously.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, he's totally right. A few one shot characters are so much more deserving than one of the most iconic Nintendo villains of all time. :rolleyes:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
UltimateWario's Handy Guide to Making an Anti-Ridley Video

Part 1
Part 2
An excellent tutorial video. If it would be alright to suggest a few additional tips:

-Mention the Pyrosphere. Be sure to say that Ridley is confirmed to be a stage hazard, and ignore the fact that there is no official statement saying so and no conclusive evidence to back it up.

-Be sure to encourage the further mocking of Ridley supporters, and be absolutely sure to insult their intelligence several times.

-Make sure you yell constantly. This will make everything you say sound believable.

This should provide all "too bigots" the tools they need to mock the intellect of a large faction of gamers for years to come.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
well I believe I found him at last, will post my findings when we are done. I know a lot of people dismiss this anyway but I think it be a relief to debunk it if we can.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm noticing a correlation between being black and not wanting Ridley in Smash.
Hahaha! It's true.

Don't worry though I cancel this guy out. I'm black and Ridley is my most wanted by far.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
What I don't clearly understand as it's not just Ridley but with just about any character. There seems to be a number of people who not only dislike a character idea in Smash but hate or despise those that do like the character. It's one thing if you do not like a character and I wouldn't really expect anyone to like every character I like that's understandable. These guys just seem like their mad that there are people that want Ridley in the game period as if the idea in and of itself is disgraceful act entirely on it's own.

It makes me think about a video I saw recently that talked about where it's no longer enough to dislike someone for not liking what you do but rather to hate people for liking something you don't. Which is absolutely mind blogging to me, it seems like such a waste of energy in so many ways.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What I don't clearly understand as it's not just Ridley but with just about any character. There seems to be a number of people who not only dislike a character idea in Smash but hate or despise those that do like the character. It's one thing if you do not like a character and I wouldn't really expect anyone to like every character I like that's understandable. These guys just seem like their mad that there are people that want Ridley in the game period as if the idea in and of itself is disgraceful act entirely on it's own.

It makes me think about a video I saw recently that talked about where it's no longer enough to dislike someone for not liking what you do but rather to hate people for liking something you don't. Which is absolutely mind blogging to me, it seems like such a waste of energy in so many ways.
I have seen conversations on GameFAQs where people say that the term 'Too Bigotry' is obviously a joke, and I coined it with humor in mind, but in all honestly, it's funny to me partly because of how applicable the term 'bigotry' is to how anti-Ridley users behave.

No other newcomer contender has this culture of hatred dogging not only them, but all of their supporters as well, with *ssholes making rant videos about how that character is a horrible idea, can never happen, how anyone supporting something so 'sinful' deserves to be spammed with videos as 'conversion therapy,' and no other newcomer contender ever will. It's pervasive everywhere; GameFAQs, for example, is riddled with many, many trolls whose 'schtick' is daily anti-Ridley topics, and they're are enabled by the limp noodle passersby who see normal fans defending themselves and paint them with the same 'they're equally bad' brush. Defense is so damn hard because of how linear-minded so many users can be; well-crafted pro-Ridley arguments are routinely brushed aside in favor of 'too big' because of stupid tl;dr reasons, or because people assume that, because Sakurai specifically hasn't added Ridley yet, that makes the character himself inherently flawed. And by the very nature of how often Ridley fans are forced into defense mode, you have d*ckheads who get off on schadenfreude hoping that Ridley gets disconfirmed and his fans are let down, just because his name is the one thrown around and turned into a pointless controversial meme, something they never wanted to begin with.

Rant over, for now. Really hoping Ridley gets in at long last and ends this crap once and for all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I have seen conversations on GameFAQs where people say that the term 'Too Bigotry' is obviously a joke, and I coined it with humor in mind, but in all honestly, it's funny to me partly because of how applicable the term 'bigotry' is to how anti-Ridley users behave.

No other newcomer contender has this culture of hatred dogging not only them, but all of their supporters as well, with *ssholes making rant videos about how that character is a horrible idea, can never happen, how anyone supporting something so 'sinful' deserves to be spammed with videos as 'conversion therapy,' and no other newcomer contender ever will. It's pervasive everywhere; GameFAQs, for example, is riddled with many, many trolls whose 'schtick' is daily anti-Ridley topics, and they're are enabled by the limp noodle passersby who see normal fans defending themselves and paint them with the same 'they're equally bad' brush. Defense is so damn hard because of how linear-minded so many users can be; well-crafted pro-Ridley arguments are routinely brushed aside in favor of 'too big' because of stupid tl;dr reasons, or because people assume that, because Sakurai specifically hasn't added Ridley yet, that makes the character himself inherently flawed. And by the very nature of how often Ridley fans are forced into defense mode, you have d*ckheads who get off on schadenfreude hoping that Ridley gets disconfirmed and his fans are let down, just because his name is the one thrown around and turned into a pointless controversial meme, something they never wanted to begin with.

Rant over, for now. Really hoping Ridley gets in at long last and ends this crap once and for all.
To be fair, Pac-Man and Mii both have a little bit of that here on Smashboards. Nothing comparable to Too Bigotry, but it's still there.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, Pac-Man and Mii both have a little bit of that here on Smashboards. Nothing comparable to Too Bigotry, but it's still there.
Well, yeah, every character has people out there that don't like them and don't want them in, some more than others, but none of their supporters are singled out and harassed incessantly for daring to want a character they enjoy in Smash Bros.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, yeah, every character has people out there that don't like them and don't want them in, some more than others, but none of their supporters are singled out and harassed incessantly for daring to want a character they enjoy in Smash Bros.
Definitely nothing like too bigotry.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If I keep obnoxiously saying something I've said before but raise my voice an octave each time I do so, that must make it even truer than it was before, right?!

And you surprise me UltimateWario. Those clips sounded... surprisingly professional, far as mannerisms.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wait, that wasn't Shokio but someone else? Didn't watch it so as to not add to those videos' view count, so I assumed it was him based on what I heard about him thinking about doing a part 2 of his anti-Ridley vid.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wait, that wasn't Shokio but someone else? Didn't watch it so as to not add to those videos' view count, so I assumed it was him based on what I heard about him thinking about doing a part 2 of his anti-Ridley vid.
Yeah, it wasn't Shokio.

The guy was in an extremely bad mood, raging and yelling throughout the entire video, insulting Ridley supporters by calling them "Metroid/Ridley idiots" and, as a few others mentioned, he said they haven't played any Metroid games.

And his arguments were just as dumb as Shokio's, if not worse.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That guy went and said that Ridley supporters must not have played Metroid Prime Hunters or Metroid Prime 3.

Are you ****ing kidding me?
Haven't watched the video... but wut?

I mean, ****, Ridley isn't even in Hunters, and I'm not sure how Prime 3 disproves Ridley at all since he changes size throughout that exact game.

My head already hurt after the Shokio video, so it's probably best I don't watch this one by the sounds of it.

Top Bottom