• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
A simple color palette or spikes won't keep me from getting absurdly happy the day i see a playable Ridley, months, years, games has passed like in a continuous struggle to se him as a selectable character to let that kind of details ruining my joy.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
A simple color palette or spikes won't keep me from getting absurdly happy the day i see a playable Ridley, months, years, games has passed like in a continuous struggle to se him as a selectable character to let that kind of details ruining my joy.
This forever.

My pickiness will immediately be overcome with a sense of overwhelming joy.

By the way, I vote that we call the "Ridley General Discussion" Space Pirate Homeworld, and the "Ridley Tactics/Mechanics/Moveset" thread Space Pirate Training Corps or something like that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This... didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would...

[collapse=Other M compared to Brawl]
[/collapse]
To be perfectly honest, I think that model is probably one of the best size comparisons we've seen yet. Ridley looks incredibly large compared to the rest of the cast, yet at the same time is really only slightly bigger than Bowser. Perhaps most importantly, he's significantly larger than Samus, and could probably still do the whole "fitting her into his hand and then dragging her around" thing he seems to be known for now. The only things that would probably need to be adjusted are the wings and tail, the former of which could just be closed up most of the time, and the latter would probably just need to be moved down a bit like Charizard's long tail is. Other than those details, this model could easily be used for Ridley as a playable character. I just hope Ridley looks as good in the final game as he does here.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Him calling people f*gs just makes him look even more like a tool, at least Shokio didn't stoop so low as to name call.
Yeah, at least Shokio is a respectable human being even if he says or goes over something highly disagreeable like about Ridley. This dude on the other hand...

His Blue costume could be Ridley X
Also a costume based on Ice Ridley from Nintendo Land
Would rather the blue one be based on Omega Ridley than the mutated X-Parasite copy, but whatever works I guess.

What kind of color scheme did Ice Ridley have again? Regardless, I agree there from what little I remember of that form.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, at least Shokio is a respectable human being even if he says or goes over something highly disagreeable like about Ridley. This dude on the other hand...

Would rather the blue one be based on Omega Ridley than the mutated X-Parasite copy, but whatever works I guess.

What kind of color scheme did Ice Ridley have again? Regardless, I agree there from what little I remember of that form.
He was white and his wings were cyan.

Not entirely sure, though. It's been a while since I fought him and trying to look him up results in almost nothing, with the ones I've seen being with his main armor off.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
Him calling people f*gs just makes him look even more like a tool, at least Shokio didn't stoop so low as to name call.
I don't like either of them. I can look past a little bit of bigoted, unchangeable opinion. But I can't stand their rudeness.

Ultra or whatever he calls him self just made a video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEd4qICvfHM ) where he mocks peoples opinions. Sh*tting on Ridley supporters again, as well as saying, "I want Chrom, and he should replace Ike, 'cause Ike is sh*t and Chrom's badass." or something like that. I'm sorry, but that's not really a good reason for Chrom to be replacing Ike. Also, there was an innocent comment made regarding Ike and Chrom, and guess who gave it a reply?

PyroTakun
2 days ago

I will cry in a corner if Chrom seriously replaces Ike.

Shokio

45 minutes ago

Screw all you Ike f*ggots.

I'm sorry for obsessing over this sh*t, but it really grinds my gears.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He was white and his wings were cyan.

Not entirely sure, though. It's been a while since I fought him and trying to look him up results in almost nothing, with the ones I've seen being with his main armor off.
Blue Eyes White Dragon? :troll:

Just google'd Ice Ridley for an image, and think I would actually prefer it the most far as a blue team color goes.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
C-Commander?

State your purpose before I decide it for you.

T-That human...he's made y-yet another attack against your name, C-Commander.

-a metallic-sounding rush is heard, and, in an instant the Space Pirate is on the floor with Ridley's massive clawed hand on his throat- What did I say to do with him the first time, worm?!

D-D-D-Dispose of him! W-W-We fired warning shots toward his v-v-vessel but to no avail!

Space Pirates do NOT -Ridley's grip tightens, his blade-like tail is trained on the Space Pirate's forehead, ready to lunge at any moment- FIRE WARNING SHOTS. When I turn around, you're going to be out of my lair or dead. Your choice.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, remember how I ranted about the culture of Too Bigotry last night?

Not to give this attention-seeker any more of what he craves, but I figured this should go here. It's a whole hour's worth of s***.

EDIT: Man, I would not have had the same patience in discussion as that guy. Kudos to him for not immediately pointing out opinion after opinion after opinion from the opposition.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
This... didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would...

Actually saw this image posted at another forum! Figured someone from here made it. Word travels fast :p

This is without a doubt the best Ridley size comparison pic I've seen. To top it off, Other M Ridley... actually looks really good! (if only it weren't for that blasted face)

What I love most about this is how Samus, an already tall Smash character, looks dwarfed compared to the Ridley shown here... and he's just slightly taller than Bowser and Ganondorf. Crazy.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Not to give this attention-seeker any more of what he craves, but I figured this should go here. It's a whole hour's worth of s***.

EDIT: Man, I would not have had the same patience in discussion as that guy. Kudos to him for not immediately pointing out opinion after opinion after opinion from the opposition.
I'm guessing this is a debate on weather or not Ridley should be in. Did the guy that was for Ridley bring up good points, arguments and counter arguments?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So that guy replied to my well-thought out arguments pretty much exactly the way I predicted he would (in-post, even). I'll let you guys have a look.

Me (yesterday):

Thanks for the laugh, bro.

I'll be sure to come back and comment again when I'm playing as Ridley in Smash 4. <3

Him (today):

Yea you WISH LMFAOOOOOO

Me (today):

Woah, dude, you slammed me with an incomplete sentence, hell, it was barely a thought! You sure got me, man. I am so burned, LMFAOOOOOOOOOO. You're like, totally hilarious! I bet your video with a whole fifteen hundred views will change the opinions of literally millions of fans who want one of their favorite characters in a game!

Get off your ****ing high horse. Nintendo and Sakurai don't give a **** about your idiotic video. They'll put Ridley in Smash if they want to, and, surprise! Your video full of hatred for a group of people you've never met or know nothing about will be on here, a permanent reminder of your stupidity and bigotry.

You talk about how we've never played a Metroid game, then go on to list a bunch of one-shot characters that got killed in their first game as better suggestions. You also talk about how Ridley's size is who he is, which also isn't true. He's about being a cruel ************ that killed and ate Samus's parents in front of her. He didn't need to be any specific size to do that.

Here's a better suggestion: Stop acting like you're the king of the world because you can make a YouTube video yelling at strangers. I'd bet my house that if you were looking at Ridley's millions of fans face-to-face, you wouldn't be calling them ******s. You're just a generic internet tough guy, hiding behind your precious webcam, yelling at people with opinions that differ from yours.

You're not special. I'm not either. We're all just numbers on a whiteboard in some company's boardroom, and guess what? The numbers that want Ridley in the new Smash are a lot bigger than the few idiots who make videos about how "HE'S TOO BIG LMFAO LOLOLOLOL IMHO".

Now, I'm sure you have some highly-intelligent response for me, like calling me a ****** because I want a character from a video game in another video game, or saying that I'm an idiot (wow, look, I totally called it!) or whatever, so I'm sure you'll want to get right on that. I'll just sit here, content that I made it clear to everyone that the Ridley fans aren't the ones calling people who don't want him ******s.

Oh, and here's this.

http://puu.sh/6IFtB.png

It's how Ridley will look in the new Smash, and it's perfect. LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Him:

LMFAO WHAT AN IDIOT XD A big ass huge college essay on dumb ****. Imagine 4 Ridley characters on stage. Case closed. Why are you even trying again? XD

Me: Completely ignored my actual argument, eh? Yeah, that's about what I expected. You sure you don't wanna throw *** in there, too? Might make you seem like less of an angry 13-year-old losing an argument.

(just added this bit)
As per your "rebuttal", yes, I can imagine four Ridleys on stage, just like I can imagine four Bowsers, because he's just barely larger than him in that mock-up I posted in my previous reply. It's not a big deal. Have you ever seen four Bowsers on Battlefield? It's awkward as hell. Having Bowser but slightly larger is no huge game-changer.

Oh, and look, another "LMAO". I think that brings the count up to 5/5 for each of your posts (referring to his posts throughout the comments section). Also, two "XD"s, wow, you must really find this **** funny, eh? I personally don't see the humor, because I can really only see you calling perfectly decent people ******s and idiots because of their opinions.

But hey, that's just me. And well, anyone with eyes, really.

I gotta say, I really like arguing with this guy. It makes me feel so smart. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm guessing this is a debate on weather or not Ridley should be in. Did the guy that was for Ridley bring up good points, arguments and counter arguments?
No, it was "How can Ridley possibly work, ever, you poor deluded sap who thinks that he can work." I think the pro-Ridley guy made a solid case for himself, to the point where he could have easily came from this thread, but I would have preferred a more assertive argument on his end. There was also a lengthy irrelevant period of discussion relating to the timing of Lucario's release.

@soviet prince, have you made any contact with the guy you believe is ChaosZero yet?

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I never got the "imagine 4 Ridley's on a stage argument" for ****s sake there is a giant mode, can you imagine 4 Bowsers on a stage in giant mode? Who gives a ****? inb4 imagine 4 Ridley's in giant mode.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The drama continues!

Him:
I say "LMA" because arguing with you is a waste of time. You Ridley dudes are worthless and lack common sense. Every here gets it but you don't. Why bother. XD

Me:
The irony of your post is overwhelming.

EDIT:

FOLKS I'VE HIT THE BREAKING POINT

HE'S STARTED AGREEING WITH ME

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT I'VE DONE

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly I think you'd get more worthwhile intellectual discussion with a nearby brick wall.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The drama continues!

Him:
I say "LMA" because arguing with you is a waste of time. You Ridley dudes are worthless and lack common sense. Every here gets it but you don't. Why bother. XD

Me:
The irony of your post is overwhelming.

EDIT:

FOLKS I'VE HIT THE BREAKING POINT

HE'S STARTED AGREEING WITH ME

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT I'VE DONE

He doesn't agree with you. He's humoring you. At least I think.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
MY GOSH. I'm done with these fellows. They, some how, have worked into their silly minds that Ridley's size is SOOOO important to his character, that' it's AS important as his connection with Samus. Weather they honestly think that makes some kind of sense, or if they have been trolling that ideal for so long it's become the truth in their heads, I don't think they're budging. And you know what? That's fine by me. I just want them to stopping subjugating, stop belittling, stop sh*tting on, stop being downright RUDE, to anyone who likes something that they don't. That's all. And that's basic human nature. Don't be an assh*le. Jeez luiz.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
He doesn't agree with you. He's humoring you. At least I think.
No, in a different string of comments, he said something about him not having a single reason as to why Ridley should be in Smash. So I gave him the whole "He's the Bowser of Metroid" schpeal, and he actually said that he understood where I was coming from.

Of course, he's probably just doing it to get me off his back, but eh, whatever. It's all just a "Who has the bigger internet weiner?" contest anyway.

EDIT: Unless you knew what I was talking about, in which case, whatever.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't know about you guys, but I felt that Bowser should have never been in Smash Bros. Him being small ruins his character, they should have put in a much more deserving Mario villain like Wart or Tatanga.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
UltimateWario, I agree with you. Ridley CAN be in Smash, and he SHOULD be in Smash. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he will be. So despite all this guys absolutely fallacious and asinine reasoning, he still could end up ultimately right about Ridley not being in, so you should choose your wording more carefully. He might end up getting the last laugh now since you've said "I'll be sure to come back and comment again when I'm playing as Ridley in Smash 4."

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
That Ultra guy finally responded to the link of the size comparison image I commented.
yosharioIII
41 minutes ago
You told feliciafan show you a link. I'm giving you one. HERE, sir: http://puu.sh/6IFtB.png

Nin10doUltra
47 minutes ago
I saw it. It's not very good.

yosharioIII
32 minutes ago
+Nin10doUltra Dandy. Can you explain why it's not good, sir? Honestly asking for your opinion.

Nin10doUltra
17 minutes ago
Too small compared to Samus & too big on any small stage.

yosharioIII
1 second ago
+Nin10doUltra Oh. Really? He's hardly an inch bigger than Bowser, he'd fit as fine as him on any stage. And too small compared to Samus? She's about at his shoulder. In Super Metroid, Samus was also about at Ridley's shoulder. So Bowser sized Ridley is too big, but Samus at his shoulder is too small? Is that it?
I don't think he's really paying attention to it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Well, I did what I could lazily.

It at least looks a little more like the Ridley.

UltimateWario, I agree with you. Ridley CAN be in Smash, and he SHOULD be in Smash. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he will be. So despite all this guys absolutely fallacious and asinine reasoning, he still could end up ultimately right about Ridley not being in, so you should choose your wording more carefully. He might end up getting the last laugh now since you've said "I'll be sure to come back and comment again when I'm playing as Ridley in Smash 4."
Yeah, but by that point, I'll be too upset that Ridley isn't in Smash to worry about some jerkoff on YouTube.

Anyway, I'm reading the Metroid Manga for the first time and...holy crap, guys. Look at this.

He's actually moved by Samus's innocence. We need to see intelligent Ridley in-game. I want to see this character elaborated on SO BADLY. Like, in an actually good way, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Moved, but not moved enough.
Considering the next panel....

Honestly, I'm thinking there should be a What-If story that is under the pretense that instead of trying to kill young Samus, he instead manipulates her into becoming his ultimate Space Pirate. Granted, she wouldn't be anything like she is in canon due to the lack of Chozo blood and training, but it would be a cool story about Samus being the galaxy's greatest threat as opposed to its savior.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Honestly, I'm thinking there should be a What-If story that is under the pretense that instead of trying to kill young Samus, he instead manipulates her into becoming his ultimate Space Pirate. Granted, she wouldn't be anything like she is in canon due to the lack of Chozo blood and training, but it would be a cool story about Samus being the galaxy's greatest threat as opposed to its savior.
I'm all for this. Why not? Alternate universes are commonly used in sci-fi, so it could easily work here.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Daaaaamn... So it begins, again. He's sure tenacious, I'll give him that much.

Again though, I don't really have the time or conviction to try and make a name for myself on YouTube or any video site so as to make a full-blown response to his or anyone's vids, but I can only hope there's Ridley supporter out there who do. That said, I probably wouldn't even go out of my way to watch the whole hour of that video even if I had a whole day off or something :laugh:, but if he had made a huge forum post on the matter on the other hand....

Ugh. Not like all this bickering will matter anyway later this year once the game's closer to release as we know everything about the roster by then.

MY GOSH. I'm done with these fellows. They, some how, have worked into their silly minds that Ridley's size is SOOOO important to his character, that' it's AS important as his connection with Samus. Weather they honestly think that makes some kind of sense, or if they have been trolling that ideal for so long it's become the truth in their heads, I don't think they're budging. And you know what? That's fine by me. I just want them to stopping subjugating, stop belittling, stop sh*tting on, stop being downright RUDE, to anyone who likes something that they don't. That's all. And that's basic human nature. Don't be an assh*le. Jeez luiz.
I wouldn't of bothered with those guys to begin with. It's YouTube after all. Most commentators there have the intelligence of a common house fly, and that's not even exaggerating sadly.

Well, you seem like a decent new user, so hope to see ya around on the boards still.

edit: Oh, you registered in 2011. Well even still..

*snip*
Well, I did what I could lazily.

It at least looks a little more like the Ridley.

Yeah, but by that point, I'll be too upset that Ridley isn't in Smash to worry about some jerkoff on YouTube.

Anyway, I'm reading the Metroid Manga for the first time and...holy crap, guys. Look at this.

He's actually moved by Samus's innocence. We need to see intelligent Ridley in-game. I want to see this character elaborated on SO BADLY. Like, in an actually good way, though.
Ah, so it's your first time seeing the manga huh? Would definitely recommend reading the rest of it then. Sadly though, only the first two volumes are in color, but there's translated versions of the rest of them on Metroid Database and the like.

And nice work on editing the Other M model there. Then again, I'm probably not too hard to impress when it comes to making those kind of changes, so yeah. :p

Also, I'm all for that alternate universe idea Golden posted too.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It wouldn't be nearly so bad if he wasn't so goddamn purple. Ridley's supposed to be grey-purple, not Barbie's Dreamhouse purple. Those pink spikes don't help, either.
I actually like it. Keep in mind that the comparison image puts him alongside models which are meant for the less saturated Brawl environment, which makes Other Ridley stick out like a sore thumb. I think the bright purple will make him fit right in with the rest of the cast with Smash 4's brighter artstyle. Of course Sakurai and his guys will do their absolute best to make him fit the artstyle, whether he's a character or not, so we're probably going to see color change and more regardless.

As for fixing him up, obviously his arms would need to be made smaller, and his tail would probably need to be cut a few edges. He'd technically work for Smash by then. Would be great if they made the beak more Zero Mission-like either, wouldn't be too hard either.

I was pretty surprised when I first read the Metroid Manga too. He gets really nasty later on, such enjoyable villainy.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
"I'll grant you some respect if you get your hands dirty."

One of his many good villainous lines.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I think you guys are wasting your time with Shokio. These arguments are getting too heated for something as asinine as whether a character should or will be playable. Granted, his certainty that Ridley has no chance is fallacious; arguing with him is even more so because of his narrow viewpoints. In the end all we're doing is paying him in views for his narrow mindness. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was just trolling for those views to begin with (knowing how passionate Ridley supporters are).

But anyways yeah that Samus comic is legit. It is actually what got be on the bandwagon for Ridley support.

Welshy91

Smash Ace

I don't know about greatest.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I actually want to see Ridley on all fours when he runs. It's an interesting twist to his intelligence. He's smart but has a beastly body.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
"GoldenYuiitusin, post: 16300727, member: 173373"]Think about it.
If Ridley is the one that trains her.....

....she's eventually going to turn on him for the sake of power.
Samus is a threat because of her Chozo suit and infused DNA. Sans all that, she's an average human. If Ridley had the means to turn average beings into galactic threats, the federation would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

Top Bottom