• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Tatanga is the final boss of Super Mario Land for the gameboy. This guy:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Who is Tatanga?

Serious.......
~Ninja'd~

The final boss of Super Mario Land for the Game Boy.

Turns out later on, in Super Mario Land II, that he was working under Wario, where he appears again as the boss of the Space Zone.

In short, some piddly character no one cares about, the only difference being that Tatanga has actually made more appearances than the hunters in question. Lawl.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I am quite late in this regard, yet...

Honestly, I am so profoundly humiliated as to even be occupying existence within the same universe as these intellectually-disabled, mouth-breathing Too Bigots.

It is one matter to simply disagree with the opposition within a civil conduct befitting a friendly interaction, because there are actually Ridley detractors who are exactly this. But it is another matter to be so combatively engaged with such destructive aggression, that any attempts to remain amiable would be a futile exercise in time-efficiency. Constantly belittling a support-base with a streaming flow of ****ty insults (with their ears plugged in screaming "La-la-la-la-laaaa! I can't hear you!") is beyond a third-grade level childishness, especially for, what I assume is, an age-group above a preliminary education. Why not, instead of behaving in a such a way one would have to be awkwardly embarrassed by it years later, try to instigate a conversation that is both meaningful and insightful to all parties involved? Are these certain individuals or groups of Too Bigots really so ashamed of their own psychological insecurities, they feel the need to project them onto others?

Why certain discussions pertaining towards video-game characters have to be so volatile, I cannot understand.

(Unless, of course, the majority of these actions are performed with the intent of trolling. Then I would sound considerably stupid.)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wouldn't worry about that, unless these are god-tier trolls.

I don't think they are.
Either way, it exemplifies just how low down people can be. Although I agree, a lot of these people appear to be just utterly unwilling to even begin to comprehend the possibility of Ridley as a playable character, and even worse is how they regard anyone that disagrees with them as a complete moron. Actually, I think part of the reason for the widespread amount of Ridley hate is the amount of hate coming from very vocal individuals. I'm no psychologist, but I imagine anyone unfamiliar with the Ridley debate would look at these hate videos, see how enraged the anti-Ridley individual is, and assume that that individual surely must be one of the few sane people speaking out in a crowd of idiots to feel so strongly, when in actuality the opposite is true. Viewers then adopt that person's beliefs and opinions and close themselves off to any other alternative.

Well, that's my theory anyway. Probably totally inaccurate.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
You know there is a certain point where "trolling" can go too far. If somebody's gonna rain a putrid shower of insults and derogatory insults then later claim "Gotcha, trolling! ::troll::", I'm not just gonna go "Oh you...! :laugh:". Even trolls need to exercise some tact. It's a difference between trolls with wit and fools hiding behind a smile.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well, that's my theory anyway. Probably totally inaccurate.
Not really. The hate for Ridley is from a very few, extremely vocal minorities, and they garner followers simply because, more often than not, the Average YouTuber has no affiliation with or feelings toward the Metroid franchise, thus allowing them to adopt the mentality that these few fools have without any repercussions.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Not really. The hate for Ridley is from a very few, extremely vocal minorities, and they garner followers simply because, more often than not, the Average YouTuber has no affiliation with or feelings toward the Metroid franchise, thus allowing them to adopt the mentality that these few fools have without any repercussions.
Well keep in mind the people that don't care about Metroid but have played Brawl. With little to no imagination of their own and no ability to think for themselves, they actually allow themselves to believe the tripe that Ridley is actually "too big" based on his SSE boss appearance, and they latch to those extremely vocal minorities because their small-minded thinking unfortunately is being approved by other people with small minds.

It's also why it can be so difficult to get those kind of people to reconsider the position they've taken. They actually lack the capacity to go beyond their lack of vision and even tolerate alternate possibilities. It's just this weird "If I don't believe it, nobody else should" mentality.

...Well... Lemme just say this is what I theorize. But I think we've all come across these creatively inept people here and there.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Too true; even then, liking Metroid seems to have practically no correlation with wanting Ridley in Smash. Even among large groups of Metroid fans you'll find relatively large groups who believe that making Ridley smaller would ruin him, and instead suggest other hunters or even generic Space Pirates. Really, it seems like this...infection, we'll call it, is indiscriminate in who it happens to latch onto. Once they have the "Too Big" mentality, it's something that's hard to get rid of.

I'll be honest; I used to be a TooBigot, even as a huge Metroid fan. I was open to the idea, I just thought it would be too awkward to size Ridley down. By now, I've obviously seen the light, but as a person who once held this point of view, I can't fathom where people are getting the idea that there's a Metroid rep more deserving or appropriate than Ridley, nor this horribly convoluted idea that Ridley's personality is tied to his size. Being a writer, one of the things I love about Metroid is how deep the characters are despite them not being laid out on the table in front of you (one of the reasons I hate Other M), and Ridley is no exception; hell, he may be even deeper than Samus. We've seen that, while his heart is cold and cruel, it is there.

Irrelevant tangeant about characterization~
It irks me so badly when people say that Other M's characterization of Samus was better than any other game because it "gave her a character" rather than "her staying a blank slate like Link or Mario". Samus has never been a blank slate in the way that Link and Mario are. We know where she comes from, we know her past, we know what she decided to do with her life (protect the galaxy), and we know that she's a tough ***** who's plowed through a few entire alien races and more than a few planets.

I simply cannot fathom how a woman with such unstoppable power and a stellar reputation could possibly allow herself to become subservient to someone like Adam. There is literally no way he's garnered any sort of merit to treat Samus the way he does, nor does Samus have any reason to listen to him beyond the horrid "I NEED A DAAAAADDY" mentality she seemed to have.

Samus devoted her life to keeping what happened to her from happening to others. Tell me what about that makes her a weak-minded woman. Tell me why she broke down in front of a monster that she's killed at least five times before. Tell me what authority Adam holds over Samus, why the other soldiers wouldn't treat her as the messiah she's proven herself to be, or why the Federation thinks that one man could stop her.

Samus is a lot more like Ridley than she'd like to admit. She is an unstoppable force of destruction; the only thing that causes the two unstoppable forces that are Ridley and Samus to stop are when the two collide in an explosion of blood and fire, eternally reenacting the day that Ridley took Samus's life from her. In his greed and cruelty, Ridley gave birth to the one thing that could stop him: a little girl. A little girl who he briefly considered sparing. A little girl that grew up in an alien world. A little girl raised by the ancients to be the Angel of Death that she is today. A little girl who remembers her mother and father with every Space Pirate she kills. A little girl who thinks of the hundreds of lives of her friends from K-2L that were snuffed out each time she goes to sleep, but finds the will to rise in the morning to fight so that the same thing won't happen to another little girl or boy just like her.

Samus is a tragic heroine, and it's simple logic that she'd be vulnerable to various psychoses. However, with Samus's experiences, line of work, and the tools she was given by the Chozo, she'd be much more apt to develop a lack of self-preservation and empathy with her targets rather than the daddy issues and fear she was given in Other M. Samus's tragedy should be one of anger and hatred, not sorrow and hopelessness.

If you give an unstable man a tank, and point the barrel at the person who killed his family, the man does not cry over the loss of his family or cry at your feet. He gets revenge. Bloody, horrible, cruel revenge.

I hate to say it, but I can't help but theorize that the people who continually insist that Ridley's too big or undeserving of Smash must be on a lower intellectual level than ourselves, and I must stress that I mean to say that with as little douchebaggery and elitism as possible. But if you truly cannot see a single way that Ridley could fit into Smash as a playable character, then...I don't know. There's stubbornness, and then there's letting your stubbornness make you an idiot.

I feel like a huge douche now.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
~Ninja'd~

The final boss of Super Mario Land for the Game Boy.

Turns out later on, in Super Mario Land II, that he was working under Wario, where he appears again as the boss of the Space Zone.

In short, some piddly character no one cares about, the only difference being that Tatanga has actually made more appearances than the hunters in question. Lawl.
Those same people would try to argue that Sylux appears in Corruption if you get 100% completion, but even then it means nothing to what you had just said.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I refuse to give him another view, he's wasted enough of my time. :laugh:

Gimmie the gist, though, this outta be good.

(Oh, and @ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫ , I think I may have accidentally created a nonsensical point against you through my "playable Ganon" post. That certainly wasn't my intention. :urg:)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
He talks about how people brought up Bower's and Olimar's size and how he expected people to and how it was he trap. He says Olimars, so small that he can be about Pikachu's size and have it work and that Bowser's only been big when using magic or the power of the stars, which is complete bs. He says Ridley's small aperances in Metroid 1, Melee opening and Metroid pinball are invalid without explaining why. He laughs that someone brought up Metroid pinball, I guess because it was a spin off (unlike Smash right?). He brings up how stupid Ridley looks in mods, because as we all know some random moder is as good at adding characters into Smash as Sakurai and his team are (he never brought up the comparison picture you sent him). Also brings up that Ridley would have at least been planned at some point if he was workable (I guess Little Mac is disconfirmed). He says who cares if he's the main villain if he can't fit and says that even Sakurai knows that he can't fit in (despite Sakurai saying that he could if they put enough effort into it). He says that Ridley is a stage hazard in Smash 4 like it's a proven fact and says it's done, it's over, we fell into his trap and we have failed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh **** guys, we fell right into his trap, it's all over XD http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDLDi_H8pM&feature=m-ch-fea Don't worry, he's not nearly as loud and obnoxious as before.
I really hate it when people use the "Bowser's size is inconsistent, he's usually small and then becomes large because of magic" argument. The way I see it, there are two main issues with that idea.

1.) Bowser is still large when he's not Godzilla. In games like Super Mario 64 or Galaxy, he's not gigantic, but he's still several times the size of Mario. The only real times Bowser is the size he is in Smash is in the spin offs, where of course he would be resized to fit in, just like in Smash. When he isn't playable though, Bowser is usually portrayed as significantly larger than the rest of the cast, even if he's not Kaiju sized.

2.) Ridley is not Godzilla. When people say that Bowser is huge because of magic/stars/shines, they of course are referring to his GIGANTIC appearances. But Ridley is not that big. In the actual games, Ridley is typically around the size Bowser is to Mario. And clearly, Nintendo has no trouble shrinking something that size down. So comparing Ridley to Bowzilla is not a fair comparison in the slightest.

If that was his big "trap," then that was quite a disappointment. I hate how he, and a lot of others, act like they have the definitive proof of why Ridley will never be in Smash. There is no such proof. If Sakurai wants Ridley playable, he'll be playable. If he doesn't, then he won't be. Information on Smash and Ridley can be thrown around like fact and forcibly shoved in people's faces, but ultimately, we can't know for certain what he'll do. Except that he'll do whatever he wants.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Seriously, with the ****ty Project M leak, if Ridley doesn't get into Smash 4, I think I'm going to lose pretty much all interest in the Smash series short of some sort of miracle.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Seriously, with the ****ty Project M leak, if Ridley doesn't get into Smash 4, I think I'm going to lose pretty much all interest in the Smash series short of some sort of miracle.
I don't know, I like that they're adding characters that will probably never be in Smash Bros, gives me a reason to play it rather then sticking with just newest Smash game. Though if Ridley gets disconfirmed for Smash 4 I hope the Project M guys work on Ridley right away.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I hope Sakurai would also consider putting Ridley in for the sake of fans now. 'Cause we're all gonna get sooooo much sh*t from guys like that if Ridley doesn't turn up... Of course we'll be saying "I told you so" to them if he does get in (SOOO HARD I may add) but I feel we've been more insulted and beaten down by them.

I also hope Sakurai sees videos like that, that people make. Not that he needs to see something like that; but just so he can:
  1. Laugh his ass off at some jerk who things he knows him. And
  2. Be appalled at how some people treat their fellow Smash fans.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Sakurai and his team will either add Ridley or they won't. The dialogue with loud youtubers and detractors probably isn't going to change that fact, it's not exactly as if Sakurai is going to necessarily start pulling characters out simply because people get mouthy about it.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I want Ridley for plenty of serious reasons but I would be lying if I said that one of the biggest reasons to isnt to **** in the face of all the asshole nay-sayers....

D

Deleted member

Samus is a threat because of her Chozo suit and infused DNA. Sans all that, she's an average human. If Ridley had the means to turn average beings into galactic threats, the federation would have ceased to exist a long time ago.
....You do realize that Ridley is aligned with Mother Brain, right?

....and you do realize Mother Brain is technically the one who made her Power Suit....right?

Welshy91

Smash Ace
....You do realize that Ridley is aligned with Mother Brain, right?

....and you do realize Mother Brain is technically the one who made her Power Suit....right?
.......... Wait, then why doesn't Mother Brain make Ridley a power suit so he can be uber god tier ssj4 fusion ho by the power of greyskull?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Sakurai clearly etablished Palkia as a stage hazard in Brawl so there's no way that he is something else in SSB4 , since Sakurai never change the roles of some characters between smash games.[/sarcasm],

Well that was the first pic of the day who gave me some hype.
Palkia, my favorite pokemon of all time is back ^^
A little sad that it means than we're probably not going to have spear pillar back tough D=

Top Bottom