• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Reason Why Sheik's Absence in Twilight Princess Means NOTHING

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
*reads first post* Nice arguments.

Remember, people this is not TP Zelda, this is Smash Zelda. She couldn't use Nayru's Love, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind in Ocarina, could she? Yet she still uses her OoT look in Melee and can use those spells, which, by the way, have even been renamed in Brawl for more TP consistency -- Lanayru's Love, Eldin's Fire, and Faron's Wind -- now the spells she uses don't even technically exist within Zelda canon.

Take that, Sheik haters. XD
Here's some advice; read past the first post. Not only have the "Sheik haters" totally destroyed the arguments in the first post, but it's been proven that the spell name changes, along with Zelda's supposed down B, have been proven fake. They remain the same as the previous game.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Wait so the name's haven't been made to fit TP?

I thought they were... but they just didn't show a down B...

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Holding back on the Bv move means nothing. He wants to keep people guessing on whether or not Shiek is playable - there's no way of knowing one way or the other until he TELLS us.

He could have kept her unplayable because he doesn't want people to know either way.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
maybe sakurai doesn't sheik only because he doesn't want to deconfirm her yet.... and creat more suspense

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The fact that we don't know what her vB is yet supports Sheik.
It so doesn't, there's absolutely no need to hide Sheik for more than 6 months, obviously something's changed or we would've already gotten a Sheik update, I think keeping her down B hidden all this time, hurts her chances a lot.
Neither is correct.

In both cases it a major update, either way would make a whole lot of people happy and a whole lot of people disappointed.

If the move is not Sheik transformation that it deconfirms Sheik, which is a major update.

If the move is Sheik transformation it confirms Sheik, which is a major update.

There's plenty of reason either way to hide the vB so it neither hurts nor helps Sheik's chances.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Neither is correct.

In both cases it a major update, either way would make a whole lot of people happy and a whole lot of people disappointed.

If the move is not Sheik transformation that it deconfirms Sheik, which is a major update.

If the move is Sheik transformation it confirms Sheik, which is a major update.

There's plenty of reason either way to hide the vB so it neither hurts nor helps Sheik's chances.
Of course it hurts her chances, Sakurai is never keen on hiding veteran characters, notice how he, himself leaked DK and Peach before they were even updated on the Dojo it would make sense for him to hide Samus's transformation cause it's something new but to hide a veteran like Sheik is absolutely pointless, I'm almost positive that something else will be taking Zelda's down B and hopefully it won't be a transformation.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I think Sheik will be back and if somehow after all this she isn't... Oh well, if that happens, sucks to be a sheik main.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Of course it hurts her chances, Sakurai is never keen on hiding veteran characters, notice how he, himself leaked DK and Peach before they were even updated on the Dojo it would make sense for him to hide Samus's transformation cause it's something new but to hide a veteran like Sheik is absolutely pointless, I'm almost positive that something else will be taking Zelda's down B and hopefully it won't be a transformation.

1. Donkey Kong and Peach are a given.No need to hide something obvious.

2. The trailer gave away the whole thing concerning Samus' transformation.

3. Hiding sheik is a big deal because of the fact that it is TP Zelda. If they use Sheik it may bother some people considering that so far its only shown TP characters.
That and he is a weirdo what do you expect?

Greevy

Smash Cadet
I agree cept with the Paper Mario example, if they wanted him in SSE they could just have Mario transform into him for a time, similar to how in SMRPG and both Paper Mario games Mario can transform into pixalated NES era Mario. Otherwise, good job.

courte

Smash Lord
i hope to quote you on this, and make you say it online, on Feb. 10, even if it means i might have to buy you a copy of smash

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna sadly have to agree with the Sheik haters on this one. Sheik was a great transformation for the old OoT Zelda, but if they made TP Zelda turn into Shiek in brawl it would destroy Zelda for me.

I mean looks at Link. Everything about him was upgraded to all his new stuff. They could have givin him his old boomarang from OoT but they upgraded it to the Gale Boomarang to keep the facts straight. And thats something I always like to keep in mind.

You see to me I find the smashbros series as being the nintendo museum. If you dont know anything about nintendo characters or such, you go to this game and it gives you tons of info on all nintendo. Now if you give TP Zelda to turn into OoT sheik...you are getting you facts mixed up and the museum idea is broken.

I personally believe they will stay with the facts and make Zelda's down b have something to do with the Twilight stuff.

PS: only stating an opinon. Please do not destroy me o-o;

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
The thing I hate most is...

you want to remove an incredibly unique (well... pokemon trainer is similar but not the same...) move, and remove a great character (purely coolness, NOT because of how she was in melee) just because you don't think it is consistent?

And hiding the downB definitely helps sheik...

Why would he hold off on just a regular move...?
He isn't going to so clumsily confirm a character by disclosing zelda's downB... especially one as debated as sheik...

Why would he "build up suspense" just to horribly disappoint fans? That makes no sense whatsoever...

also, when did he leak DK and peach? just out of curiosity...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do you think Sakurai even CARES about debates like these? He's making the freaking game, you can't touch him. You'll buy his product in the end just like the other 80% of Wii owners world wide. He doesn't care about character debates, cause I doubt it's characters what's on his mind all the time. The man's got a project to finish.

The big silence around Sheik deffinatly bodes ill to Sheik fans cause why the hell would Sakurai hide her if she was in? He already has Zelda confirmed for months, if Sheik where to return there'd be very few changes in Zelda's moveset. Old character, old transformation, I see no reason at all to hide it. You may come up with the cannon thing, that Sheik would've need a major explanation for her inclusion but a few weeks ago I've heard all you guys saying that TP styled Zelda tranforming into OoT-only Sheik shouldn't
be a problem AT ALL.

Besides, Sheik, Captain Falcon and Ness are the only remaining starting veteran characters from Melee yet to be confirmed (or most likely in Sheik and Ness's cases; de-confirmed). Ness has already been sort of de-confirmed through Lucas, even though he might still be unlockable. If Ness is unlockable, sure we won't see him on the Dojo, same goes for Falcon even though his spot is pretty much guranteed. Sheik was a major aspect of Zelda's moveset in Melee, wheter we like it or not and if there wouldn't be a major change in Zelda's moveset, so again why would they hide that? Especially since we now have loads of more unique characters like Pokémon Trainer, Pikmin & Olimar and even Zero Suit Samus being a Final Smash-only transformation is more unique to me than Zelda changing into her OoT altergo through a special move or pressing A before the match...

Sheik's and Zelda's other moves are hidden cause they're gonna be completely revamped. Sure, there'll be very few changes between Din's and Eldin's Fire, but in the end, it's all about her Down B which no mather what will be a grand update.

And truely, if Sheik where to return I would be really disapointed. Not only cause I dislike the character, but why Sakurai hided Zelda's special moves so long without there being major changes which I still think there will be. Most likely we'll get a totally different move light a magic spell (which still would be a weak excuse to cloak the excistance of Sheik for so long) or a new transformation which would lead to a new character perhaps.

Anyhow, as I see it, Sheik like she was in Melee will deffinatly not return.

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice

you want to remove an incredibly unique (well... pokemon trainer is similar but not the same...) move, and remove a great character (purely coolness, NOT because of how she was in melee) just because you don't think it is consistent?

He isn't going to so clumsily confirm a character by disclosing zelda's downB... especially one as debated as sheik...

Why would he "build up suspense" just to horribly disappoint fans? That makes no sense whatsoever...

DK was shown in the 15 second movie from E3 2007 before he was shown on the Dojo, and Peach was seen in one of the Subspace Emissary movies on the Dojo before she had a character page added.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

Zelda could have a new transformation.

I really wish they would've of used this Zelda for Brawl...

Wind Waker Repped, no need for WW Link, and Tetra transformation.... *sigh*

*half expecting Sheik, half expecting something else*

Clumber

Smash Cadet
If they had WW Zelda she would be completely different from Smash Zelda and that would be throwing away a perfectly good character, which doesn't make a lot of sense. It would make as much sense for Zelda to turn into a TPed Tetra as a TPed Shiek, so don't worry about not getting her.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
zelda has new names for her spells. (just getting that out there) so they are different spells (just to correct you)
wich means brawl zelda has nothing of OoT Zelda, meaning that brawl has some kind of continuity :)

and that sheik will have trouble returning :) :) :)

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Actually if you look at the new, clearer scan of Coro Coro... she STILL has OoT names for her spells...

This kills the entire "Brawl Zelda is 100% TP Zelda and has NOTHING to do with OoT" argument...

And DK was not "leaked" as he was updated the same day as the movie presentation...
And it's not like peach had a chance of getting cut... this adds nothing to anyone's argument...

Luthien

Smash Ace
Wait, so is this thread argueing why Sheik CAN be in Brawl, or why Sheik SHOULD be in Brawl? There is a difference.

Sheik's absence in Twilight Princess is HUGE in regards to why s/he SHOULDN'T be in Brawl, in the sense Twilight Princess was his/her last chance to appear in a second game and become an icon or gain some character depth. It's not so much Twilight Princess as it is every. Other. Game. That actually effects why Sheik shouldn't be in Brawl. So far, Sheik has only been a minor character (hardly a character; a tool of Zelda's more than anything, really) in the Legend of Zelda series, so it would be nice to see Zelda display some of her OWN power than rely on a top-tier alter-ego. Sheik doesn't have anything going for him as to why he SHOULD be in Brawl; the stuff that's going against him is simply being ignored.

Sheik abscence in TP isn't so big in regards to why Sheik CAN be in Brawl. Sakurai isn't bound to those rules; he can ignore them if he wishes. Sakurai can make TP Zelda produce an OoT hat when swallowed by Kirby. He can keep her Ocarina of Time attack names (well, they weren't actually, but whatever) if he pleases. Sheik was in Melee, and that helps his/her chances for being in Brawl. That's a reason why Sheik CAN be in Braw. Not why Sheik SHOULD.

My point is, it's not that Sheik has anything going FOR him/her. It's just that Sakurai doesn't have to pay attention to the stuff that's going AGAINST him/her. So, Sheik's absence in Brawl effects why s/he SHOULD be in Brawl, but not why s/he CAN.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
By not contradicting it's own rules.
Character select screens establish a rule, you know: the rule being “you're going to play as this character for the game.”

That's not true, there is an incredibly light narrative in the previous smash games, not no narrative.
Incorrect. What was in previous Smash games was a set-up. NOT a narrative. Not even an "incredibly light narrative." There were blank, empty cut-scenes that functioned as fancy loading screens to introduce the next fight in a flashy way. There was no threaded story being told. There was no character development. There were just fancy transitions between fights.

Again, there does seem to be enough in the way of cutscenes to suggest that they'll be quite bit more for Brawl.
Brawl's cut-scenes are going to be just as empty as the previous games. They're still going to be loading screens disguised as "transitions." The opening cinema to the game is still just a fancy way of starting the game. Nothing more. There is still going to be no narrative. Simple, light, or otherwise.

That's simple, if there are no contradictions, then it is internally consistent.

Internal consistency is not proven by the existence of anything, it's proven by the lack of something, namely contradictions.

Since you can't provide me with any contradictions, the point is proven.
Why are you hiding behind this meandering pedantic “philosophical” rationalization? Because if you want to get really “heady” here, you have a point to prove just as much as I do. Why? Because for this discussion, Brawl is neither “consistent” nor “inconsistent” until one of us can supply suitable evidence either way. If there is no discussion engaged in by both sides, the subject is blank, because no consensus has been reached. After all, the ultimate goal of this discussion is to decide whether Brawl is internally consistent or inconsistent. Therefore, at the beginning of the discussion, neither can truly claim it to be either. Therefore, you have absolutely no logical grounds on which to stand to state Brawl is consistent until proven otherwise. So if you want to continue to pull this “Well I don’t have anything to prove here but you do” schlock, there’s no doubt in my mind that you are just playing philosopher here rather than being a philosopher. Because any self-respecting philosophy student would be more than willing to engage in such a debate where they are also actively trying to prove a point. So my question to you is…would you care to try again?

Seems a mite more then 95% inconsistent considering that two out of 4 items for Young Link were externally inconsistent...
Remember, though. Those other two items were still from Ocarina of Time, my little green friend. Therefore, Smash Bros was still externally consistent with its template game. You have yet to satisfactorily prove anything.

What evidence do you have to back this up as opposed to a lack of rules governing what they can place as Link/Zelda's moves, especially with evidence to the contrary?
When the "source character" didn't use X item in the source game, that item was still modeled after an item in the source game (silver arrows, fire arrows, boomerang, hookshot, etc). Therefore, Smash Bros was still consistent with the template game. Furthermore, you have yet to satisfactorily prove anything.

I merely said that because they were in Link to the Past, and I'm extremely biased towards it.

The important thing was that they weren't in OoT.
Then if you’re letting bias seep into this discussion to where you’re incorrectly attributing items to particular games in a franchise, I question how fair you can be to the rest of this discussion. Accuse me of ad hominem if you must, but we all know that accusing someone of using ad hominem is just yet another meandering, pedantic “philosophical” safety net. Regarding “they weren’t in OoT” remember that even though silver arrows debuted in the original Legend of Zelda, they were still given an Ocarina of Time re-vision. Therefore, Ocarina of Time was still the template game for Link in Smash Bros Melee.

Why those characters?

It's a common technique to set two or more characters up to do something, and let the player decide who actually does it.

Think a lot of rpgs, they let you decide what team you use for most of the game while setting it up in the narrative so any of those characters can be part of the team.
This is a fighting game. In fighting games, it’s not at all a “common technique” to give the player the choice of FOUR or more characters to “do something.” In fighting games, you select your solitary fighter at the character select screen and play with that character throughout the single-player mode. You can select a new character only after a game-over. Smash Bros is a fighting game, first and foremost. Therefore, throwing four different team combinations at you at random intervals in the game, after you’ve chosen a character at the beginning of the game, is illogical and inconsistent with Smash Bros’ fighting game foundation.

Was it inconsistent with itself however?
How was it consistent with itself?

I never said it did, that quote was about internal consistency...

Something which it maintained in this case by establishing that the external narratives are unrelated to the story.
Internal consistency, how? How was it internally consistent? Only because Smash Bros ignored external narratives? That’s a flimsy argument. You said, “Brawl [made an internally consistent cross-over] by establishing from the beginning that the narratives that the characters came from are not related to brawl.” Anyone would read that and see you making the connection between “ignoring external narratives” and “establishing internal narratives,” as if “ignoring external narratives” was the cause, and “establishing internal narratives” was the effect. Keep in mind that the only way to create internal consistency in this case is through establishing an internal narrative. And the only way to establish an internal narrative in a cross-over fighting game like Smash Bros is to ignore external narratives. This is no Straw-Man Fallacy I’m using. I’m pointing out how you’re trying to dance around gaps in your own “logic.”

Now, furthermore, is there an actual internal narrative established in Smash Bros? You point to book-end cut-scene introductions and transitions as what you presume to be the internal narrative. However, is there an actual narrative present at all? Is there a clear persistent commentary in Smash Bros? Is there a clear story? Are there clear plot complications? The answer to these questions is a clear, resounding “NO.” The “narrative” you point to is nothing more than a series of cut-scenes and transitions designed to introduce the game and fights in a dynamic and interesting way.

So, based on your original assessment, is Smash Bros internally consistent? The answer is very clearly NO, because even though Smash Bros ignores external narratives, it never establishes an internal narrative of its own, and therefore is never internally consistent, because it has no internal fundamental foundation with which to remain consistent.

They depend on the different games in the same sense that if I see a movie and that proves to be the impetus to me writing an unrelated book.

It depends on the other games in the sense of inspiration, they inspired people to create smash, but they have no effect on smash's internal narrative.
Define “unrelated book.” It’s a vague term and you as a philosophy student should know better than to use such a lousy phrase. Regarding your views on Smash’s “internal narrative”…there is no “internal narrative” in Smash Bros.

I just was talking about suspension of disbelief which implies neither active nor inactive.

And whether it's good or not is besides the point since we are establishing part of the criteria (and I do agree, how difficult the suspension of disbelief is does reflect on the quality).

How can you write fiction and expect people to not suspend their disbelief?

How can you read Lord of the Rings and not suspend disbelief about this magical mythical set of Kingdoms? How can you read Slaughterhouse Five without suspending disbelief in time travel?

You can't, if you were to require real-world history to actually apply to Lord of the Rings then the narrative couldn't work. If you were to require real-world physics to work in Slaughterhouse Five then the narrative couldn't work.

Yet, you do, as you pointed out, without even realizing it. "Suspension of disbelief" simply means that you do not question the functional premises (in other words, things like existence of magic, time travel, etc) of the work. It's just the way that world works, and it only gets sticky when it lacks internal consistency.

But I never said "willingly suspending your disbelief" did I?

I merely said "suspension of disbelief", very different. The better the author, the easier the suspension of disbelief, yet that doesn't mean that the suspension of disbelief is any less important.
First, the very idea of “suspension of disbelief” relates to an active decision. In fact, “suspension of disbelief” does not even exist. It is half-a-phrase used by people who genuinely do not understand the dynamics of the principle. Because your disbelief cannot suspend itself. Suspending anything requires an agent to perform the action of suspension. But in “suspension of disbelief” there is nothing, whether explicit or implicit, to perform the act of suspending the disbelief. And for that matter, whose disbelief? Why would the disbelief be suspended? Who is performing the suspending? None of those questions are answered when you use “suspension of disbelief.” “Suspension of disbelief” is an empty phrase. It means nothing. At all. So stop using it.

Second, there is either a “willing suspension of disbelief” or nothing at all. There is either an active decision on the part of the will of the reader to ignore clumsy writing and non-organic characterization, or the story is simply that good to where the reader is never questioning the author’s choices. When you use “willing suspension of disbelief,” all of the previous questions are answered. Who is suspending the disbelief? A conscious observer with an independent mind who is now actively evaluating the story in question. Whose disbelief is being suspended? The conscious observer. Why is the disbelief being suspended? Because the conscious observer has willingly made a decision to suspend his or her disbelief after evaluating what he or she has read. That process may happen faster than you realize, but it’s a conscious, active decision.

There is never any “passive suspension of disbelief”, because believing and not believing, as they relate to this point, are active decisions. You decide if you will either believe or not believe a premise. And you will only have to make that active decision if the writer is terrible. But if the author conveys the world and characters in an organic manner, there is never a question of how believable the premise is, and therefore, there is never a “WILLING suspension of disbelief” and BELIEF itself never becomes a factor.

Now to illustrate my point, let’s talk about Slaughterhouse Five, even though you obviously haven’t actually sat down and examined it, since you just said Billy Pilgrim was time-traveling (hint: PTSD). There’s a huge tidbit buried in the book that doesn’t become apparent until you re-read it quite a few times and then start critically analyzing the book. But we’ll hold off on that now.

When we read Slaughterhouse Five, was there ever an active decision to willingly suspend our disbelief? Within the first two chapters, did we ever actively doubt the reality that Vonnegut had created? Did we ever not believe that Billy Pilgrim was jumping around his life? Why do you think we never had any doubts? Because of Vonnegut’s delivery. Because of his finesse. Because of Vonnegut writing a truly organic, engaging, and original character who was living in a world that Vonnegut described to the perfect detail and made it real. Billy Pilgrim wasn’t a character we had seen forty times over in multiple franchises. We had no idea going in who Billy Pilgrim was, or what he did, or where he went. There was no pre-existing knowledge of him. And Vonnegut knew that. He knew who Billy was. He knew what he did. He knew where he went. Vonnegut was a ****ing genius, dude.

So when I see you making exceptions for quality and originality, just to claim that fan-fiction “is no different from any other work of the medium” I honestly see someone who is just making stuff up at this point, and getting further and further from any kind of rational point of view. And then when you accused me of “misconstruing” your argument, I had a nice laugh, because even if I were to pitch your argument verbatim to any English teacher—or really anyone with any kind of literary training, they’d laugh and say that’s one of the most bat-**** crazy, stupid, and downright asinine things they’d ever heard. I was pulling a Straw Man Fallacy? Hardly. I was just outright calling your assessment the ill-informed steaming pile of dung that it actually was.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
Simple. They're going to be just as empty. It's going to be all pantomime (no spoken dialogue). Most, if not all, cut-scenes will be pre- and post-fight, which serve to get the characters from Point A to Point B and nothing more. The focus will be on what it's always been: the gameplay/fighting. We're going to be hopping to and from so many different characters that any character development is a pipe-dream. And so on.

What we've seen so far is exactly what I described. A bunch of blank transition cut-scenes.

If you go back and watch all the videos you can see it. They're all character entrances. Most people are mistaking character entrances for plot development. But Pit joining with Mario is not plot development. Bowser stealing bananas from DK and Diddy...not plot development. And so on.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
Pantomime can go far if you're playing Wind Waker. But that was never plot expression so much as character expression...and character expression was never used much for plot development, if at all.

Pantomime can go far if you're Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchock, or John Belushi.

I'm not convinced even the current videos are any better than Melee's, honestly. A huge chunk of the current videos occur way after the opening to SSE, and if you're able to find the videos with the character selection freeze-frames, it's glaringly obvious they're the same videos partially hosted on the Dojo now. Think about it. Why would we be selecting a bunch of different characters at the very beginning of the game?

What we're going to get in Brawl is identical to Melee. We're going to have a brief introduction that splices in some gameplay footage, some cinematics, etc. What Brawl has over Melee is that it'll have slightly longer transitions, but there's not going to be development. It'll be a fun, goofy way to introduce the character select screen for that level.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
No one's really used Subspace as a means to qualify characters for Brawl. Nice touch. It WOULD make sense that Dr. Mario was cut, since they are the same person.

However, is Wolf Link "technically" Link, or is he a sort of "Twilight Link"?

Brasil

Smash Cadet
What does this have to do with Zelda/Sheik again?
If I had to venture a guess...it would be that the OP's argument was based on the idea that Smash Bros/SSE was logical and consistent. So if we talk about logic and consistency (or the lack thereof) in Smash Bros, the discussion is perfectly legitimate and on-topic. If Sheik is in Brawl because the single-player campaign operates on some sort of consistent logic, all the more reason to really get in there and wrestle the idea around a bit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I had to venture a guess...it would be that the OP's argument was based on the idea that Smash Bros/SSE was logical and consistent. So if we talk about logic and consistency (or the lack thereof) in Smash Bros, the discussion is perfectly legitimate and on-topic. If Sheik is in Brawl because the single-player campaign operates on some sort of consistent logic, all the more reason to really get in there and wrestle the idea around a bit.
If Ness is a playable character, that kills that arguement

Or Marth for that matter

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
My point is, it's not that Sheik has anything going FOR him/her. It's just that Sakurai doesn't have to pay attention to the stuff that's going AGAINST him/her. So, Sheik's absence in Brawl effects why s/he SHOULD be in Brawl, but not why s/he CAN.
I like how you explain it. I dont think Sakurai even looks so deeply into a character's relation as far as why sheik shouldn't be in. The only problem i see is if sakurai has a new desiegn for sheik and if not is she still a PC in brawl. Besides why would Sakurai ask for something he's not going to use.

Of course the card not listing zelda down special speculates sheik is in. but there is nothing really worth hiding her speacial if she only has a new move. If he wanted to decomfirm sheik he would did it earlier around the time "up until now" showed up and nearly decomfirmed ness(along with stealing his moves*lucas*). what i think is that we might have to ulock sheik in order to use zelda down speacial so until then, zelda will lacking a special move from the beginning.

i wonder if they would sacrafice a tuant for a transformation(wishful thought)

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Pantomime can go far if you're playing Wind Waker. But that was never plot expression so much as character expression...and character expression was never used much for plot development, if at all.

Pantomime can go far if you're Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchock, or John Belushi.

I'm not convinced even the current videos are any better than Melee's, honestly. A huge chunk of the current videos occur way after the opening to SSE, and if you're able to find the videos with the character selection freeze-frames, it's glaringly obvious they're the same videos partially hosted on the Dojo now. Think about it. Why would we be selecting a bunch of different characters at the very beginning of the game?

What we're going to get in Brawl is identical to Melee. We're going to have a brief introduction that splices in some gameplay footage, some cinematics, etc. What Brawl has over Melee is that it'll have slightly longer transitions, but there's not going to be development. It'll be a fun, goofy way to introduce the character select screen for that level.
Really, what Melee videos?? There was barely any... in Adventure mode I only recall zooming on the stage, Luigi jumping over Mario, eh, the Metal Bros. appeaing and the Giga Bowser transformation. You don't even KNOW how you go from place to place. IMO taking that into account the videos from Brawl are twofold better than Melee's.

And yes, the story won't be as deep as Pan's Labyrinth, but really, it's a classic Nintendo story and I'm fine with it. I don't need depth. Brawl's story is fine. And, it's better than Melee's because Melee's was non-existant. -_-

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Incorrect. What was in previous Smash games was a set-up. NOT a narrative. Not even an "incredibly light narrative." There were blank, empty cut-scenes that functioned as fancy loading screens to introduce the next fight in a flashy way. There was no threaded story being told. There was no character development. There were just fancy transitions between fights.
Anything that describes events, real or fictional, is a narrative.

Whether they have little substance or not does not change this fact.

It describes events, albeit, with no depth or character development, but still, that's a narrative.

Brawl's cut-scenes are going to be just as empty as the previous games. They're still going to be loading screens disguised as "transitions." The opening cinema to the game is still just a fancy way of starting the game. Nothing more. There is still going to be no narrative. Simple, light, or otherwise.
You seem to be redefining narrative to have some basis in quality...

Why are you hiding behind this meandering pedantic “philosophical” rationalization? Because if you want to get really “heady” here, you have a point to prove just as much as I do. Why? Because for this discussion, Brawl is neither “consistent” nor “inconsistent” until one of us can supply suitable evidence either way. If there is no discussion engaged in by both sides, the subject is blank, because no consensus has been reached. After all, the ultimate goal of this discussion is to decide whether Brawl is internally consistent or inconsistent. Therefore, at the beginning of the discussion, neither can truly claim it to be either. Therefore, you have absolutely no logical grounds on which to stand to state Brawl is consistent until proven otherwise. So if you want to continue to pull this “Well I don’t have anything to prove here but you do” schlock, there’s no doubt in my mind that you are just playing philosopher here rather than being a philosopher. Because any self-respecting philosophy student would be more than willing to engage in such a debate where they are also actively trying to prove a point. So my question to you is…would you care to try again?
You seem to be missing the point...

Internal inconsistency is based on CONTRADICTIONS. LACK THEREOF means that something is internally consistent.

You seem dead-set on defining everything based on quality, but seem unwilling to grant any of the accepted attributes that define when something has quality. And then you've defined quality as "not fanfiction" since being fanfiction is the only criteria you've given for being bad.

What is wrong with this picture? How the hell do you analyze works? Do you toss them into little bins saying, "fan-fiction" and "not-fanfiction" and then cart off all of the former to be used in schools with the latter being sent to the dumpster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's something more to literary analysis.

Remember, though. Those other two items were still from Ocarina of Time, my little green friend. Therefore, Smash Bros was still externally consistent with its template game. You have yet to satisfactorily prove anything.
The fact that they were from ocarina of time doesn't make them externally consistent.

Would Link suddenly turning into Gannondorf be consistent with the source material, I mean, they're both from Ocarina of Time, right?

Sure, they're the same person (Link and Young Link), but that doesn't mean that you can keep something that's age specific as an eternal feature of the character? Do you still play with teething rings? No, I don't think so.

So those items were age specific, by allowing both to use one, they violated OoT's consistency.

When the "source character" didn't use X item in the source game, that item was still modeled after an item in the source game (silver arrows, fire arrows, boomerang, hookshot, etc). Therefore, Smash Bros was still consistent with the template game. Furthermore, you have yet to satisfactorily prove anything.
It's inconsistent with the CHARACTER, not the item, the character.

Then if you’re letting bias seep into this discussion to where you’re incorrectly attributing items to particular games in a franchise, I question how fair you can be to the rest of this discussion. Accuse me of ad hominem if you must, but we all know that accusing someone of using ad hominem is just yet another meandering, pedantic “philosophical” safety net. Regarding “they weren’t in OoT” remember that even though silver arrows debuted in the original Legend of Zelda, they were still given an Ocarina of Time re-vision. Therefore, Ocarina of Time was still the template game for Link in Smash Bros Melee.
*Possible Spoilers*

It's not incorrect attribution, unless you decided to skip dragging that gigantic bomb to the Temple you would've come across the silver arrows in A Link to the Past, they simply didn't debute there, and I never pretended they did, i simply mentioned that they were in Link to the Past.

*end possible spoilers*

As for ad hominem... learn some basic rhetoric, Ad Hominem fallacies are distractions committed by one of the parties in the debate in order to win by making something irrelevant seem relevant. If you think that randomly throwing irrelevant topics out as if they had some meaning to the question at hand, then I guess there's not much of a point of discussing things with you.

And as I've noticed, you do LOVE your distractions.

As for the silver hours, how does that change things, we have already established that one attribute, the overall look of the character, was OoT, thus whatever the source material they should be harmonized in the interests of asthetics.

This is a fighting game. In fighting games, it’s not at all a “common technique” to give the player the choice of FOUR or more characters to “do something.” In fighting games, you select your solitary fighter at the character select screen and play with that character throughout the single-player mode. You can select a new character only after a game-over. Smash Bros is a fighting game, first and foremost. Therefore, throwing four different team combinations at you at random intervals in the game, after you’ve chosen a character at the beginning of the game, is illogical and inconsistent with Smash Bros’ fighting game foundation.
Genre classifications do not make something internally inconsistent.

The game does not establish as it's rules that it's following all the traditions of fighting games. In fact, from the very beginning smash was never a traditional fighting game.

Internal inconsistency is conflicts with it's own rules, not the rest of the games in it's category.

How was it consistent with itself?
By lacking contradictions, it's that simple.

Anything that has no contradictions is consistent with it.

Internal consistency, how? How was it internally consistent? Only because Smash Bros ignored external narratives? That’s a flimsy argument. You said, “Brawl [made an internally consistent cross-over] by establishing from the beginning that the narratives that the characters came from are not related to brawl.” Anyone would read that and see you making the connection between “ignoring external narratives” and “establishing internal narratives,” as if “ignoring external narratives” was the cause, and “establishing internal narratives” was the effect. Keep in mind that the only way to create internal consistency in this case is through establishing an internal narrative. And the only way to establish an internal narrative in a cross-over fighting game like Smash Bros is to ignore external narratives. This is no Straw-Man Fallacy I’m using. I’m pointing out how you’re trying to dance around gaps in your own “logic.”
Again, you are being far too strict in your definition of narrative.

It establishes it's narrative through cutscenes and battles, and in part of establishing it's narrative it explained why the external narratives bear no relevance.

Now, furthermore, is there an actual internal narrative established in Smash Bros? You point to book-end cut-scene introductions and transitions as what you presume to be the internal narrative. However, is there an actual narrative present at all? Is there a clear persistent commentary in Smash Bros? Is there a clear story? Are there clear plot complications? The answer to these questions is a clear, resounding “NO.” The “narrative” you point to is nothing more than a series of cut-scenes and transitions designed to introduce the game and fights in a dynamic and interesting way.
Again, narrative is just detailing of events, real or fictional.

What events? The chosen character fights the master hand, that's an event, it's presentation is a narrative or part of a narrative.

The lack of plot complications and other similar devices add to the narrative, but they are not required for one to exist.

Again, you are confusing a GOOD NARRATIVE with a NARRATIVE.

So, based on your original assessment, is Smash Bros internally consistent? The answer is very clearly NO, because even though Smash Bros ignores external narratives, it never establishes an internal narrative of its own, and therefore is never internally consistent, because it has no internal fundamental foundation with which to remain consistent.
Again, confusing good narrative with narrative. There is a detailing of events, obviously with very little background information, but that means it's a bad narrative, not that it's inconsistent.

Lack of substance doesn't prove inconsistency, inconsistency only exists when there is a direct contradiction, and consistency exists where there is nothing.

Define “unrelated book.” It’s a vague term and you as a philosophy student should know better than to use such a lousy phrase. Regarding your views on Smash’s “internal narrative”…there is no “internal narrative” in Smash Bros.
In other words, not a fanfiction of that work or anything else which directly utilizes the source material. It wasn't lousy, it was intended so it could refer to a wide variety of different things.

First, the very idea of “suspension of disbelief” relates to an active decision. In fact, “suspension of disbelief” does not even exist. It is half-a-phrase used by people who genuinely do not understand the dynamics of the principle. Because your disbelief cannot suspend itself. Suspending anything requires an agent to perform the action of suspension. But in “suspension of disbelief” there is nothing, whether explicit or implicit, to perform the act of suspending the disbelief. And for that matter, whose disbelief? Why would the disbelief be suspended? Who is performing the suspending? None of those questions are answered when you use “suspension of disbelief.” “Suspension of disbelief” is an empty phrase. It means nothing. At all. So stop using it.
"suspending" means to stop temporarily, inattention can cause one to stop doing something just as easily as an active effort. If one suspends pulling on a rope because they saw something shiny and wanted to pick it up, they did not intend to stop pulling on the rope, they intended to do something else, hence a suspension not directly willed. It still has an agent, but that doesn't mean it must be willing.

Ah yes, so who decided this, because I know a fair number of academics who love the term.

You may have decided that the term means nothing, but to academia it means something, so, how about not?

Second, there is either a “willing suspension of disbelief” or nothing at all. There is either an active decision on the part of the will of the reader to ignore clumsy writing and non-organic characterization, or the story is simply that good to where the reader is never questioning the author’s choices. When you use “willing suspension of disbelief,” all of the previous questions are answered. Who is suspending the disbelief? A conscious observer with an independent mind who is now actively evaluating the story in question. Whose disbelief is being suspended? The conscious observer. Why is the disbelief being suspended? Because the conscious observer has willingly made a decision to suspend his or her disbelief after evaluating what he or she has read. That process may happen faster than you realize, but it’s a conscious, active decision.
When the observer reads a story that is very well-written and doesn't have to do it actively, it is still suspension of disbelief. That same person is still suspending disbelief, actions made through inattention (or in this case, a lack of an action) are still actions.

There is never any “passive suspension of disbelief”, because believing and not believing, as they relate to this point, are active decisions. You decide if you will either believe or not believe a premise. And you will only have to make that active decision if the writer is terrible. But if the author conveys the world and characters in an organic manner, there is never a question of how believable the premise is, and therefore, there is never a “WILLING suspension of disbelief” and BELIEF itself never becomes a factor.
I'll bet you there are all of 26 people who believe the premise of Harry Potter, yet when reading the book, they do not question, they suspend their disbelief by inattention to the fact that this cannot happen in the real world.

Either way, this is completely irrelevant because you know what I mean, I have explained exactly what I meant by suspension of disbelief, and further discussion about whether it is the correct term is patently irrelevant to the topic at hand.

That said, I will provide a source for my definition: http://www.mediacollege.com/glossary/s/suspension-of-disbelief.html

Now to illustrate my point, let’s talk about Slaughterhouse Five, even though you obviously haven’t actually sat down and examined it, since you just said Billy Pilgrim was time-traveling (hint: PTSD). There’s a huge tidbit buried in the book that doesn’t become apparent until you re-read it quite a few times and then start critically analyzing the book. But we’ll hold off on that now.
When reading the book you have to deal with time-traveling, that if where one suspends one's belief.

Audience simply withholds inactively (with some exceptions) their judgement about whether this can happen, the actual mechanics behind the time-traveling aren't really relevant to this fact.

Like with the Silver arrows you assumed that I didn't know something because I chose to present only the relevant information, instead of providing an examination of the entire thing.

It's called jumping to conclusions, and that seems to be an extercise in this.

When we read Slaughterhouse Five, was there ever an active decision to willingly suspend our disbelief? Within the first two chapters, did we ever actively doubt the reality that Vonnegut had created? Did we ever not believe that Billy Pilgrim was jumping around his life? Why do you think we never had any doubts? Because of Vonnegut’s delivery. Because of his finesse. Because of Vonnegut writing a truly organic, engaging, and original character who was living in a world that Vonnegut described to the perfect detail and made it real. Billy Pilgrim wasn’t a character we had seen forty times over in multiple franchises. We had no idea going in who Billy Pilgrim was, or what he did, or where he went. There was no pre-existing knowledge of him. And Vonnegut knew that. He knew who Billy was. He knew what he did. He knew where he went. Vonnegut was a ****ing genius, dude.
Again, not the point... You are continuing to confuse the quality of the work with it's existence.

So when I see you making exceptions for quality and originality, just to claim that fan-fiction “is no different from any other work of the medium” I honestly see someone who is just making stuff up at this point, and getting further and further from any kind of rational point of view. And then when you accused me of “misconstruing” your argument, I had a nice laugh, because even if I were to pitch your argument verbatim to any English teacher—or really anyone with any kind of literary training, they’d laugh and say that’s one of the most bat-**** crazy, stupid, and downright asinine things they’d ever heard. I was pulling a Straw Man Fallacy? Hardly. I was just outright calling your assessment the ill-informed steaming pile of dung that it actually was.
Except I never said that fanfiction was no different from any other work of the medium, I said that it is poorer in quality in general, and pretty much stated that you pointed out why this is true.

Simply put, THERE IS A REASON WHY FANFICTION IS BAD.

Fanfiction isn't bad simply because it's fanfiction (though the vast majority of fanfiction is horrible, this isn't the root cause of the issue). You could use that kind of logic to justify decrying any genre.

Fanfiction is bad because it makes large numbers of elementary mistakes in it's style. You already named a few, inconsistent, lacking in originality, requiring conscious suspension of disbelief, little or poor character development, etc. That's WHY fanfiction in general is poor, because it's writers make mistakes.

The universe did not one day decide that all works categorized under "fanfiction" are inherently bad, the writers commonly make errors, and this was my point from the very beginning.

Were these errors not made however, fanfiction COULD be good. I'm doubting a fanfiction will ever become a great literary classic, but if it's authors did not make so many elementary mistakes then, you never know.

As a final thought: As far as literary analysis goes, I don't think we disagree conceptually, as far as I can tell, this is an issue of defining terms, we're used to using different terms or applying more open or limited definitions to terms, as such, if we can agree on terms, I think the only substance of our disagreement will be the Sheik argument.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
You don't even KNOW how you go from place to place. IMO taking that into account the videos from Brawl are twofold better than Melee's.
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything. But is it really, truly, that much better of a cut-scene because there are a few extra seconds of CG footage? Even with seeing Fox's ship downed in the jungle...that video is still no different than Giga Bowser's transformation in Melee. It's still a blank transition.

And yes, the story won't be as deep as Pan's Labyrinth, but really, it's a classic Nintendo story and I'm fine with it. I don't need depth. Brawl's story is fine. And, it's better than Melee's because Melee's was non-existant. -_-
Meh. It's a fighting game. Fundamentally, nothing's changed since the original Street Fighter and MK1. These aren't stories. They're just brief little snippets that happen before the game starts, and then have no bearing whatsoever on 99% of the actual gameplay.

The best fighting games are ones with a barely functional story, because anything beyond a text screen or two is just silly. Hell, stories are irrelevant in fighting games. You're not there for the story. You're there to beat the living piss out of something. Big reason why classic Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games are still so ****ing amazing. The attention was paid to the gameplay, rather than crafting a story mode that was going to be forgotten in all of six months.

And let me ask you, come six months to a year from now, are you going to remember/play Brawl because of its story/story mode, or is it going to be because Wario and Captain Olimar make for a wicked tag-team, and Snake is just way too frigging hilarious to ignore?

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
We haven't seen the whole SSE video and i can aleready tell its a lot more depth than melee. i mean come
on there's an introducing cut scene to it. the adventure mode in melee basically started with point A to B.
and besided fox's plane did not simply crash, it was taken down by the Halbred if you saw any of the videos besides the ones on the dojo. they even tried to to make connections with following events that occurd. no that simple compared to melee.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
Eh... Because I changed my mind and I can be in any thread I please.:p It's a very pointless question.

lol wow you're funny you like to argue a lot huh and not just argue about anything but something that has been argued for too many times. are you even a Zelda fan did you even like OOT of Tp if you played them lol. im finally happy to know that sheik is confirmed no not because i thought she was a shoe-in since i thought she wasnt going to make it but because she is a good character. when any point of view is on the table its biased no matter mine, yours everyone. you have the freedom to hate sheik and have pointless arguments against her just like i have the freedom to ask questions so here it is why do you hate sheik? why do you constantly arguing against her when its already been argued against? i thought your more smarter than that based on the things ive read that you posted.

Top Bottom