• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My two cents:

He definitely doesn't know whether or not Layton is in Smash, so his initial comment earlier today isn't confirmation. However, that comment also seems to suggest that he THINKS one of his sessions WAS for Smash.

For those of you who don't know, video game voice actors generally don't know exactly what they are voicing for, especially if they are the recurring actor for a character. In the case of a character that might have multiple upcoming appearances, they generally record all of the lines in one session.

This essentially means that Mr. Miller may have been recording lines for another game(s), but, if he is in Smash, lines for that game were grouped in.

As for what else he could be voicing for? Not sure, but isn't this still a thing?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Umm.. yikes the top comments man. People really don't want Layton to be in Smash.
Most of them seem to be sarcasm or "IF HE GETS IN OVER MUH K.ROOL" drivel.

Don't mind it, he's a pretty requested character. A lot of people I know don't even play his games but still want him because he's a cool character and because Level-5 are so tight with Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Just gonna leave this here

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
My two cents:

He definitely doesn't know whether or not Layton is in Smash, so his initial comment earlier today isn't confirmation. However, that comment also seems to suggest that he THINKS one of his sessions WAS for Smash.
Actually, I'd say that comment suggests that he was being silly and facetious.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Seems like the comment was 100% honest with that comment. Didn't find anything silly about.
The "Oh, that's what those pages were" comment was him being silly.

The actual recent comment, about not knowing but hoping, was honest.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The "Oh, that's what those pages were" comment was him being silly.

The actual recent comment, about not knowing but hoping, was honest.
You can't confirm that.

Maybe he just realised the nature of some lines he recently recorded sounded like they could be for a fighting game like Smash.

I don't think he was being silly, because he already initially denied being in the game ages ago, with his initial comment. Perhaps that's changed. He likely realised he recorded lines for Smash after the actual recording. Like I said, VAs don't always get told what the voice work they are doing is for, especially with a character who appears in multiple pieces of media.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose one way to figure out if the chances of Mr. Miller doing any voice work for Smash is to find out if during that session he was asked to do a lot of grunting as well as some sleeping and dizzyness sounds etc. If he did the chances of him doing any voice work for Smash may be higher. But then again, there is always Layton 7 or a different Level-5 game entirely.....

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mr. Miller must know that the lines aren't for an actual Layton game, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned Smash. I think the lines must involve things you hear a character say in fighting and action games, like I don't know, game-y grunts and "kiais" and stuff like that. So unless Layton is the next guest character in Killer Instinct Season 3, I think there are decent chances he will be in Smash. Or maybe Layton is set to appear in some unannounced action games of sorts.

IF Layton is in Smash, I hope Mr. Miller doesn't get into trouble because of the tweets.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
What if Nintendo got onto him and that "I don't know" is him covering for his mistake?

It could happen.

But this is strange. I don't know how much he knows about gaming, but this COULD mean he recorded a lot of grunts, etc for Layton, which are sounds Layton would not typically make.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
For me, the ideal situation is if we get something similar to what we got before E3, and Sakurai hosts a short presentation about upcoming DLC. Even if we don't get the news in a full Direct, I just want to get SOMETHING!

Responding to the earlier comment about how someone needs to datamap the game, or whatever, and search for placeholder clips for Layton, I STRONGLY disagree. Think about how awesome that last presentation would have been if we went into it knowing absolutely nothing. I want that experience if Layton is announced. I don't want the news to be leaked, followed by an official confirmation.

But, if you think about it, this thread was inactive for a while now, and all of a sudden, there have been many, MANY responses in the last two days alone. If nothing else comes from all of this news, at least people are now talking about Layton and actually considering him, and maybe that'll be enough for Nintendo to implement him if they haven't thought to do so already.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton doesn't really typically grunt a lot in the series apart from a couple animated cutscenes. But you would think that Mr. Miller would have probably figured that since he's been voicing Layton for seven games straight so his recent session may be different then.....

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Maybe if Layton wasn't planned for a DLC character Nintendo could take note of this commotion and make a Mii costume for him.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I disallowed myself from commenting anywhere other than on Twitter as LaytonSmash until this blew over. I have a few things to say:

1. I suck. Like, I really really suck. I acted out of excitement and gave the initial tweet a very leading phrasing, causing many people to think this was definite confirmation. Thankfully, many people remained skeptical as they should have.
1 pt2. I suck for making it confusing to cover. I know Derrick of the GameXplain team was very distressed when trying to cover the story, and it upset me greatly that I had made it so hard to follow that he had to make two separate videos to clarify after the first. I'll be a bit more responsible with info like this from now on and I'll likely post in an article style if anything of this sort comes up again, giving all facts I know on a given subject.
1 pt3 (the end of the sucking trilogy). I suck for even taking the tweet by Chris and publicising it, and I've already apologised to him on this. Truth is, I don't believe the guy himself understands IMDb very well, so when he recorded extra pages for something he didn't know about, he must have just assumed it was Smash. I believe it was irresponsible of me to ask this in the first place, but again, excitement got to the better of me.

That brings me on to better news, though:

2. At least two pieces of VA as Layton have been recorded. What are they for? Nobody knows. Chris only knows one. There's a second one that only Level-5 themselves (and if we're hopeful, Nintendo) can tell us about. My estimation is that the main one is for Layton-7, and it might be a more in-depth game than we first perceived, and is the only Layton-relevant thing that is to be localised within a reasonable timeframe (the second movie is only really a whisper on the wind right now). The second? It could be anything. An Easter egg in another game, like how he had a team in one Inazuma Eleven game. But, from his context of tweets, he seems to believe it was for Smash. The hope is not dead.

3. I learned Layton is massive in Spain. After the initial tweet from Chris, 'Layton' became one of the top trending topics in Spain. That was completely unexpected, and I really didn't know how big of a deal he was over there until that. That's very promising if they choose to look at certain regions.

4. I'd say, judging by the tweets and YT comments on the matter, 40% are in strong support, 25% were like "yeah makes sense" or "would have preferred Phoenix Wright but cool", while the remaining 35% are the loud ones who think their third parties or giant crocodiles are the second coming of Jesus. There were quite a few respectful hopes that the character wasn't in, but someone tweeted at me that the character looked too stupid to be in Smash. You get all kinds.

Also I'm apparently a terrible person for harassing Chris with that one tweet I sent and the curteous responses after he took time out of his life to tweet me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I see, I suppose we should have talked to you first about this @ Martingale Martingale I was kinda wondering why I hadn't seen any input from you but I suppose it makes sense that you wanted to keep low for a little bit.

Publicizing his tweet could get Christopher Miller into trouble though so I guess it's good you at least apologized to him for that though be sure not to do that again alright? It's understandable that you got a little too excited though. ^^

I suppose most of what @ ChikoLad ChikoLad said was true too and that there indeed was probably one session for two separate things and that Mr. Miller wasn't informed to what they where.

I guess it's nice to know that he thinks they may be intended for Smash but like you said. It could also be for another Level-5 game such as another cameo for Inazuma Eleven.

Thank you for your input Martingale. ^^

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You're not a terrible person @ Martingale Martingale , you just made an honest mistake out of the heat of the moment. It's completely understandable. And either way, I think your actions managed to drum up some excitement in the Layton community. News has been pretty dry for those who are fans of Layton but not so much the extended Level-5 library at the current time. I haven't talked much about Layton at all in any context for a while since there simply hasn't been much to talk about, hence, I never posted here in ages.

If there is anything we can take from this, we know Layton is to make an appearance in TWO games in the near future. That's exciting news in and of itself, considering the series was supposed to be done (though Layton 7 already threw a wrench into that statement), at least in terms of Layton being the main protagonist. Now we know he's got two games coming. The fact that one of those might be Smash is just icing on the cake.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I certainly will avoid publicising anything that might jeopardise someone's career. He hadn't signed an NDA, it seems, but if he had and was like "oh the info is out now I can probably talk about this", that'd be really serious. It's a learning experience for everyone involved, I think. I imagine he himself might be studying the innermost workings of IMDb himself..

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If he hadn't signed a NDA then I find it unlikely that Layton is in Smash. Nintendo seems to be really strict with NDA and stuff.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Hang on a minute, when would the last voice-acting session have been for Professor Layton? I'm trying to piece together a timeline.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find it strange that he didn't sign an NDA for even a Level-5 game. Considering how they really don't like their stuff getting spoiled.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Hang on a minute, when would the last voice-acting session have been for Professor Layton? I'm trying to piece together a timeline.
On the 5th, Chris responded to the IMDb rumour stating that he wasn't aware of it and it was untrue.
On the 22nd, he responded to the same tweet and the thanks given as response saying that he supposed that he had done recordings for Smash, due to "extra pages in the session". While that's vague, the sudden change in tone seems to suggest that this recording took place sometime between the 5th and 22nd.

If he hadn't signed a NDA then I find it unlikely that Layton is in Smash. Nintendo seems to be really strict with NDA and stuff.
Unlikely, but Chris seems to be just as in the dark on what he's doing with those latter pages as we are. I suppose the most ideal thing would be to wait and see, as there seems to be nobody but Level-5 and Nintendo that know for sure if it's planned. The next Direct can't come soon enough.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
My word, the confusion going on back here. All of this madness reminds of a Puzzle.

And do not fret @ Martingale Martingale , hype always gets the best of us. If anything, I'm glad we learned Chris is still doing work as Layton.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
On the 5th, Chris responded to the IMDb rumour stating that he wasn't aware of it and it was untrue.
On the 22nd, he responded to the same tweet and the thanks given as response saying that he supposed that he had done recordings for Smash, due to "extra pages in the session". While that's vague, the sudden change in tone seems to suggest that this recording took place sometime between the 5th and 22nd.
Thanks, but I was trying to figure out when he would have recorded his lines for the last Layton game (either Azran Legacy or the crossover).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thanks, but I was trying to figure out when he would have recorded his lines for the last Layton game (either Azran Legacy or the crossover).
I doubt that is information Mr. Miller would be willing to divulge especially given what just happened.

If he's in Smash, he's in Smash. If he isn't, he isn't. Either way, he's in two upcoming projects involving Layton.

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
Yo, I disallowed myself from commenting anywhere other than on Twitter as LaytonSmash until this blew over. I have a few things to say:

1. I suck. Like, I really really suck. I acted out of excitement and gave the initial tweet a very leading phrasing, causing many people to think this was definite confirmation. Thankfully, many people remained skeptical as they should have.
1 pt2. I suck for making it confusing to cover. I know Derrick of the GameXplain team was very distressed when trying to cover the story, and it upset me greatly that I had made it so hard to follow that he had to make two separate videos to clarify after the first. I'll be a bit more responsible with info like this from now on and I'll likely post in an article style if anything of this sort comes up again, giving all facts I know on a given subject.
1 pt3 (the end of the sucking trilogy). I suck for even taking the tweet by Chris and publicising it, and I've already apologised to him on this. Truth is, I don't believe the guy himself understands IMDb very well, so when he recorded extra pages for something he didn't know about, he must have just assumed it was Smash. I believe it was irresponsible of me to ask this in the first place, but again, excitement got to the better of me.

That brings me on to better news, though:

2. At least two pieces of VA as Layton have been recorded. What are they for? Nobody knows. Chris only knows one. There's a second one that only Level-5 themselves (and if we're hopeful, Nintendo) can tell us about. My estimation is that the main one is for Layton-7, and it might be a more in-depth game than we first perceived, and is the only Layton-relevant thing that is to be localised within a reasonable timeframe (the second movie is only really a whisper on the wind right now). The second? It could be anything. An Easter egg in another game, like how he had a team in one Inazuma Eleven game. But, from his context of tweets, he seems to believe it was for Smash. The hope is not dead.

3. I learned Layton is massive in Spain. After the initial tweet from Chris, 'Layton' became one of the top trending topics in Spain. That was completely unexpected, and I really didn't know how big of a deal he was over there until that. That's very promising if they choose to look at certain regions.

4. I'd say, judging by the tweets and YT comments on the matter, 40% are in strong support, 25% were like "yeah makes sense" or "would have preferred Phoenix Wright but cool", while the remaining 35% are the loud ones who think their third parties or giant crocodiles are the second coming of Jesus. There were quite a few respectful hopes that the character wasn't in, but someone tweeted at me that the character looked too stupid to be in Smash. You get all kinds.

Also I'm apparently a terrible person for harassing Chris with that one tweet I sent and the curteous responses after he took time out of his life to tweet me.
You're amazing for sustaining the campaign like you have been. Yeah, publicising it was maybe a mistake, but whatever, it happens all the time and it's not as if you'll get the man fired - he's pretty good at keeping his nose clean. Won't lie to you, if I was in charge of that Twitter account I would have done exactly the same thing.

But now we're in an interesting situation regarding Miller's recordings, which could legitimately go either way.

This whole situation is basically Rayman mk.II but with much better timing. It's been pretty great to be able to judge popularity across a wide variety of Smash players at once and it's looking more positive than I initially thought.

I won't be holding my breath, but quietly, though I may end up disappointed, I'm actually quite hyped to see how this puzzle will be resolved.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think one way to potentially solve this "puzzle" is trying to figure out what that second game may potentially be. It could be an as of yet unknown game, but it could also be one that is in the middle of localization.

From what I remember of Level-5 when I was following their games, is that they tend to take quite a while to get their games localized. (Any Layton fan would more than likely remember the agonizing wait for each installment whereas Japan gets to enjoy them for like a year....) I'm not sure if anything has changed since then but since we are apparently still waiting for the first Yokai Watch game to come out despite that there apparently already are a few out in Japan, I would guess the answer is probably no...... So perhaps the voice work Miller was doing is probably for a game that may be in the process of localization.

Do we happen to know of any unlocalized Level-5 games that Layton makes a cameo in? Does the upcoming Yokai Watch have any @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 ?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Unsure about Yokai Watch, I don't want to spoil myself of the game. I doubt he makes appearances there.
There's a very minor cameo in LBX Battlers, but no actual voice work.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Unsure about Yokai Watch, I don't want to spoil myself of the game. But I could look it up.
There's a very minor cameo in LBX Battlers, but no actual voice work.
Oh its okay then. I guess I'll see if I can find out for myself if you don't want to get potentially spoiled. ^^

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
I believe Layton's in Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy as part of the L5 Heroes team (http://inazuma-eleven.wikia.com/wiki/L5_Heroes). I don't know if there's any voice work in there though - he's not the captain or anything but there might be some voice work regardless? I've never played an Inazuma Eleven game so I don't really know.

Edit @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 it's on the 3DS.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Really the only logical game he could be fixing is either Layton 7 or Smash. I don't know what other games he could voice on.

I believe Layton's in Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy as part of the L5 Heroes team (http://inazuma-eleven.wikia.com/wiki/L5_Heroes). I don't know if there's any voice work in there though - he's not the captain or anything but there might be some voice work regardless? I've never played an Inazuma Eleven game so I don't really know.
Ooooooh. A level 5 crossover. What platform is that on?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure we'd know already if there is a Layton cameo in Yokai Watch, especially if he's voiced.

The second game is either Smash or something else we can't predict. Who knows, maybe he is making a cameo or guest appearance in another game we don't know about?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh is it that game where Layton was talking with Luke and Emmy about "Super Dimensional Football" or something along those lines? I believe I've seen a video of it but I don't quite remember if there was any voice work in it.... Is the game not out yet in either Europe or America?

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
Really the only logical game he could be fixing is either Layton 7 or Smash. I don't know what other games he could voice on.

Ooooooh. A level 5 crossover. What platform is that on?
3DS alone unless I'm mistaken. It's pulled a Pokemon and is being sold in two versions. Layton's in both.

Oh is it that game where Layton was talking with Luke and Emmy about "Super Dimensional Football" or something along those lines? I believe I've seen a video of it but I don't quite remember if there was any voice work in it.... Is the game not out yet in either Europe or America?
To my knowledge it has not been released in the EU, the US or Australia, but it is slated for an EU release in 2016 so...

I'll see if I can find this video you mentioned since I couldn't care less about any spoilers on this one. If I find anything I'll report back!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
3DS alone unless I'm mistaken. It's pulled a Pokemon and is being sold in two versions. Layton's in both.

To my knowledge it has not been released in the EU, the US or Australia, but it is slated for an EU release in 2016 so...

I'll see if I can find this video you mentioned since I couldn't care less about any spoilers on this one. If I find anything I'll report back!
Hmm.... 2016 sounds like it might be a way away. They may still be busy translating the game at this stage. But I'm not sure really. It may potentially be that game if there is any voice acting in it....

Top Bottom