• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen, Layton, Emmy and Luke have no vocal roles in any Inazuma Eleven game. All clips I've watched have had no vocals from these characters and none have been credited for appearing in the games from what I can tell. While I'm at it, I haven't found anything about a vocal role for Layton in any other already released Level-5 media at all in either Enlgish or Japanese.

The mystery continues. Something is coming way out of left field.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who else wants to see Professor Layton appear in an Inazuma Eleven Anime episode?

Cause that'd be awesome.
Why not take it a step further? Why not have a whole anime based off the Professor Layton franchise?

I mean we have one for Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch. So why not Layton? ^^

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The thing is, if Layton were in a game we don't know about... well, we would know about it, because Level-5 doesn't do worldwide releases (do they?), so we would know about the game before the process of localizing the game started... And Mr. Miller wouldn't record lines for Layton before said process started, now would he?

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, if Layton were in a game we don't know about... well, we would know about it, because Level-5 doesn't do worldwide releases (do they?), so we would know about the game before the process of localizing the game started... And Mr. Miller wouldn't record lines for Layton before said process started, now would he?
Nope, never has a Level-5 game released even remotely close between Japan and the West. Given that Yo Oizumi, the Japanese VA, hasn't been credited for anything new Layton-wise since Azran Legacy, it's safe to assume that there's only four realistic possibilities as to what could be being worked on.

-Layton Movie #2. Would Chris be recording for this already when we don't even know if it ever got anywhere? I can't imagine them working on this without litmus testing in the Japanese market first.
-Layton-7. Given that the previous mobile game had no voice acting, there mightn't be any in this one either. But who knows? It's the most likely option of what we know right now.
-One, or two, undisclosed projects (no word of either in West or Japan) involving Layton. That is good news, continuation of the series! They can't leave it at Layton-7, after all.
-SMAAAAAAAAAASH. The dream option. If we can get Yokais in Just Dance, Layton could be in Smash!

Two of these are things. Akihiro Hino's wild ride never ends.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well there was something about another layton film at some point maybe somethings coming from that at last

or perhaps its a new title in the core series

then again they announce the layton games before the western realeases though that could have changed that

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can't help but feel pretty hopeful now. Even though I'd probably be setting myself up for disappointment.....

Whatever happened to all the "Layton will never make it in because *insert third party/Indie character* is a shoo-in!" stuff...... ;_;

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The game he voices in would've been announced at Level-5's conference. Really Layton 7 and Smash are the only possible options, and we still do not have a localization date for Layton 7.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All the indie third parties are mostly requested because of ballot bandwagoning. Layton is still popular and he's been heavily requested since before the game came out.

Reila

People who think an indie character will be playable in Smash are seriously delusional. And I say this as someone who mostly plays indie games outside of Nintendo titles. Layton being in Smash would make much more sense and he is a way more likely addition to the roster.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Plus the two most popular indie characters (Shovel Knight and Shantae) have never been released in Japan and I highly doubt a character like that will make it into Smash.

Reila

I would say Quote (Cave Story) is more well known than those two, though nowadays he isn't that popular. Anyways, I can see a Shantae trophy being added to Smash at some point, since pretty much every WayForward game was released to Nintendo systems, but playable representation is stretching it.

This is so off topic tho

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
People who think an indie character will be playable in Smash are seriously delusional. And I say this as someone who mostly plays indie games outside of Nintendo titles. Layton being in Smash would make much more sense and he is a way more likely addition to the roster.
Nintendo has been cozying up to indies and gave Commander Video a trophy. I don't think it's delusional. Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't getting in until they have more JP releases, but someone like Quote might have a chance. Or some other "iconic" indy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Right, sorry. Guess I was probably letting the detractors bring the Layton support down a bit too much.....

Which I guess I really shouldn't..... After all, a lot of people said similar things in regards to Toon Link.....

Last edited:

Reila

Nintendo has been cozying up to indies and gave Commander Video a trophy. I don't think it's delusional. Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't getting in until they have more JP releases, but someone like Quote might have a chance. Or some other "iconic" indy.
I just don't see it happening, even though I would love to have Quote (with a Curly Brace alt pls) or Shovel Knight in Smash Bros.

Anyways, back to Layton. If he is in, how do you think his debut trailer will be?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thread title should be renamed "Professor Layton and the Mysterious Voice Lines"
Done. ;)

Anyways, back to Layton. If he is in, how do you think his debut trailer will be?
I'm personally hoping for an animated trailer much like Palutena's trailer but in the style of Professor Layton's animated cutscenes.

We'll probably just get some sort of letter type intro though and just going straight to gameplay afterwards.....

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
This is one of my favourite things to think about. Here's a concept I'm playing with.

The trailer opens in an animated style in an office, with some sombre piano music playing in the background. In time with heavier notes of the music, the view inside the office changes: a small model tower, a picture of Dr. Schrader, Layton's flat cap from the Unwound Future flashbacks on a wooden mannequin head, sheet music, a gramaphone, various scale models of fossils, and ends the scene with the focus on an empty letter with a Smash Bros seal, with a coin poking out from underneath it. The scene slowly fades to black and remains silent for a second or two.

Out of the darkness, a familiar voice calls out: "Here's my answer."

The puzzle results anticipation music begins, as four close-up frames are switched between: one of a top hat being adjusted, the second of a rapier being drawn, the third of the Professor's smile, and finally the fourth showing the Professor fully, pointing as though a puzzle had been solved correctly. The background shatters from black on the last frame and Battlefield is revealed.

The splash screen drops: Professor Layton Puzzles Opponents!

The trailer continues with gameplay footage as voiceovers are heard:
Luke: Professor! Are you really entering such a violent tournament?
Layton: Haha! Well, Luke, it may be a little rough, but I craved a very different kind of intellectual challenge. Careful planning and swift thinking should see me through!
Luke: Well if you're entering, as your apprentice, I'm coming along too!
Layton: I'm afraid I simply can't allow that. This is perhaps the most dangerous adventure yet, and I couldn't forgive myself if you were to get hurt.
Luke: But why would you want to be involved in something like this?
Layton: Well, there are many competitors here that use some... Questionable tactics. (During this segment, various other fighters are shown: Wario using the Chomp and the Waft, Zero Suit Samus paralysing a foe, Yoshi eating a foe, and Diddy Kong tossing a banana.) I could stand to teach them a thing or two about fighting fairly!

The trailer ends with Layton and Marth rushing towards each other with their weapons drawn, and the Smash Bros. title appears.

After the title, another short animated sequence appears, of Layton facing away on Final Destination. As a large shadow of a hand passes over him, and a deep laugh is heard, he draws his weapon and narrows his eyes. The voiceover continues:
Layton: But there are some mysteries here, beyond even my understanding.

Fade to black, show the credits ending card, with Level-5 now among them.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How high is Layton in your wishlist guys, is he like #2 in your list, the most wanted, or something else.

He's around #3-#4 in terms of who I want.
You know me Blue. I haven't renamed myself "Curious Villager" and made this support thread first thing I joined this community for nothing!

Professor Layton was and still is my most wanted newcomer for Smash and seeing him join the roster would be a dream come true for me. Which is probably why all of this commotion currently going on feels so surreal to me.....

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
This is one of my favourite things to think about. Here's a concept I'm playing with.

The trailer opens in an animated style in an office, with some sombre piano music playing in the background. In time with heavier notes of the music, the view inside the office changes: a small model tower, a picture of Dr. Schrader, Layton's flat cap from the Unwound Future flashbacks on a wooden mannequin head, sheet music, a gramaphone, various scale models of fossils, and ends the scene with the focus on an empty letter with a Smash Bros seal, with a coin poking out from underneath it. The scene slowly fades to black and remains silent for a second or two.

The puzzle results anticipation music begins, as four close-up frames are switched between: one of a top hat being adjusted, the second of a rapier being drawn, the third of the Professor's smile, and finally the fourth showing the Professor fully, pointing as though a puzzle had been solved correctly. The background shatters from black on the last frame and Battlefield is revealed.

Layton: Haha! Well, Luke, it may be a little rough, but I craved a very different kind of intellectual challenge. Careful planning and swift thinking should see me through!
Layton: I'm afraid I simply can't allow that. This is perhaps the most dangerous adventure yet, and I couldn't forgive myself if you were to get hurt.
Layton: Well, there are many competitors here that use some... Questionable tactics. (During this segment, various other fighters are shown: Wario using the Chomp and the Waft, Zero Suit Samus paralysing a foe, Yoshi eating a foe, and Diddy Kong tossing a banana.) I could stand to teach them a thing or two about fighting fairly!

The trailer ends with Layton and Marth rushing towards each other with their weapons drawn, and the Smash Bros. title appears.

After the title, another short animated sequence appears, of Layton facing away on Final Destination. As a large shadow of a hand passes over him, and a deep laugh is heard, he draws his weapon and narrows his eyes. The voiceover continues:

That was amazing.

How high is Layton in your wishlist guys, is he like #2 in your list, the most wanted, or something else.

No. 1 definitely. Kind of a given since there isn't a no 2, 3 etc.! There's a lot of cool suggestions and I'd take any of them except the Croc (there must be a reason why DK doesn't have the coconut gun - KRool rather unfortunately won't be as unique as some like to think) and the legitimately stupid ones. But Layton would be a years-long dream come true for me.

Reila

Hm... Layton is definitely on my TOP10. As I said in my first post in this thread, I never really considered Layton in Smash, I found it so unlikely to happen, even though Layton is pretty much a Nintendo character to me and one of the faces of the Nintendo DS era (with the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents) to me. So as much as I want him/like the idea of Layton in Smash, my most wanted characters still are Dixie Kong, Inkling and a Rhythm Heaven playable rep.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

Have you posted this idea earlier? Because I definitely feel like I remember reading that. I absolutely love that trailer idea, it suits him down to a *ahem* tea, and I love it. The only thing I'd change is the tagline; I really like the idea of "Makes a Curious Entrance" (Thanks to Curious Villager :p), and I think it'd fit in this trailer idea as well. Also, this trailer idea is fairly short and to the point in terms of animation, so it wouldn't be out of the question for a DLC character.

Well unfortunately, Paper Mario is my #1 choice, but Professor Layton is easily #2. He is such a close second. Really, he might as well be tied for first by this point, the gap between them is so small. If he gets in my life will be complete. :upsidedown:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Number two. Andy or preferably Sami is my first choice, even though any of them is extremely unlikely, but Layton is a great runner-up.

RandomNickname

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flori2000
That's mostly NoA though, and the game is still being made in Japan. Also, you can't really compare a trophy to a playable character. A trophy was probably the most NoA could be NoJ/Sakurai for, lol. As much as I'd love to see Shovel Knight, Shantae or Quote. Actually, Quote would be really cool as well, but I really feel like Cave Story isn't that popular nowadays. It doesn't really get talked about as much as it used to a few years back imo.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Have you posted this idea earlier? Because I definitely feel like I remember reading that. I absolutely love that trailer idea, it suits him down to a *ahem* tea, and I love it. The only thing I'd change is the tagline; I really like the idea of "Makes a Curious Entrance" (Thanks to Curious Villager :p), and I think it'd fit in this trailer idea as well. Also, this trailer idea is fairly short and to the point in terms of animation, so it wouldn't be out of the question for a DLC character.
I have posted something similar to reddit at one point, but I had deleted it since. I changed up the idea quite a bit, while keeping a lot of its original theme.

I'd actually be moved to tears if Layton got in, because both Smash and Professor Layton actually helped me through a lot of difficult times when I was younger. That was my major motivation for leading the charge over on Twitter actually. I have light secondary supports like Paper Mario and Inklings, and then my ridiculous ones like Funky Kong and Magikarp, but none of these would fulfil me to even 10% of what Layton's inclusion would do.

Speaking of Twitter, Smashified made a new appeal for characters to be added and Layton's name is popping up a LOT in the requests right now (something something irresponsible tweet leaker). I'll try to rally a few more in that direction, because a Smashified render would be the icing on the cake for Layton supporters after everything that's happened.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Just so you guys know, the Smashified team seems to be looking for requests on-
I have posted something similar to reddit at one point, but I had deleted it since. I changed up the idea quite a bit, while keeping a lot of its original theme.

I'd actually be moved to tears if Layton got in, because both Smash and Professor Layton actually helped me through a lot of difficult times when I was younger. That was my major motivation for leading the charge over on Twitter actually. I have light secondary supports like Paper Mario and Inklings, and then my ridiculous ones like Funky Kong and Magikarp, but none of these would fulfil me to even 10% of what Layton's inclusion would do.

Speaking of Twitter, Smashified made a new appeal for characters to be added and Layton's name is popping up a LOT in the requests right now (something something irresponsible tweet leaker). I'll try to rally a few more in that direction, because a Smashified render would be the icing on the cake for Layton supporters after everything that's happened.
Well, you beat me to it, but here's the link. :p https://twitter.com/smashified/status/635888729236897793
I personally voted for Layton this time, and I've definitely seen a lot of votes for him here. Things are looking up! :D

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't be too hard on yourself @ Martingale Martingale

You at least sprung in newfound support and hope for Layton's inclusion for Smash and even breathed in more life into the Layton fanbase that has been slowly dwindling down ever since Azran Legacy and the Ace Attorney crossover came along, especially for someone like me who isn't quite ready yet to leave the fandom.

That's a great thing! So thank you for that. ^^

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think I might want to say that I wouldn't mind adding Professor Layton to the list of characters I would like to see in Smash Bros. I've known Layton for a long time now since The Curious Village, even though the only Professor Layton game I ever finished was Pandora's Box and I've yet to play the second trilogy. Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing Layton in Smash Bros, so I hope you don't mind if I say that I'd be willing to support the idea, since it'd be interesting to see how Sakurai would make him adapt to the world of Smash Bros.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Professor Layton still remains my most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros to this day.

My interest in Layton for Smash Bros began around the time the first Smash Bros rumors were coming around, and this was before the games were officially revealed at E3. I'm talking about back when everyone thought the next Smash Bros game was going to be called Super Smash Bros Universe. Around that time, one of the fake leaks that came out had Professor Layton on that list. As a Layton fan, I was curious about it and started to research and imagine the possibilities regarding what Layton could do in Smash.

It was also close to that time that Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney was known to the public, but it was around the early stages of development. I still remember the hype when Phoenix Wright was revealed for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. When I learned Phoenix Wright was going to be in UMvC3 and looked back at that Layton vs Wright crossover game, I thought to myself, "You know, the way how they are currently setting this up is if it's really going to be Layton vs Wright, and now that Wright has an appearance in a fighting game, Layton should also get that treatment so that he can be equal with the bragging rights, and what better game to let Layton shine than Smash Bros 4!" While Wright would make an interesting addition in Smash 4, I thought Layton would be more fitting since he seemed to feel more like a Nintendo character compared to the famous video game attorney.

This interest only skyrocketed once Smash Bros 4 was officially revealed at E3 2013; it reached the point that Layton became my most wanted. I remember eagerly awaiting for the upcoming trailers to reveal the Professor. Alas, none of them revealed Layton, but I know I got even more hyped for Layton after watching Palutena and Robin's reveal trailers. Both of these trailers used animations exclusive to their games (well with Palutena's case, the animation was from those 3DS movies) along with some epic fight scenes, and when I looked back at the many awesome fight scenes in the Layton games, I became hyped for Layton even more because I wanted to see a glorious looking trailer where the Layton art style with a battle taking place that would match that epic feel like those Layton battles had.

Things looked grim when the full roster was finally confirmed, but I remember having constant daydreams about Layton actually fighting some of the characters on the roster as I listened to the Smash Bros soundtrack (I even listened to some Layton tracks to heighten the daydream, imagining a Smash Bros battle taking place while the music was playing). When the Smash Ballot was revealed, I was overjoyed. I thought to myself, "Finally, a way to tell Sakurai why Layton should be in Smash." My support for Layton went up even higher since then (I still daydream about Layton in an actual Smash Bros match).

When I look back at the past, this was the first Smash Bros support thread I joined on Smashboards. I guess that also shows how much I support Layton in Smash.

Now to change subjects regarding the Smashified Tweet:

I'm feeling pretty happy there are more people requesting for Layton to be smashified compared to the past. It's comfort for me after reading through some of the comments left on Gamexplain's video and the lack of requests for Layton in past Smashified videos (especially when compared to Phoenix Wright). I think the entire "Mysterious Voice Lines" (love that new title BTW) hype has definitely done a great job in increasing more awareness and support for Layton in Smash Bros, and those tweets demonstrate that. I've been following along the news regarding the updates since Miller's last comment, and while I'm aware there could be the possibility these voice lines may not be for Smash Bros, I"m still remaining hopeful.

Ekazumon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ekazumon
3DS FC
5215-0401-0822

He is definitely my first choice in terms of both first/second party and third party with Isaac trailing ever so close behind. Second would have gone to Paper Mario if we didn't have 2 Marios already...

The reason why I would be particularly excited to see Layton in smash is because of the inevitable amiibo that will follow. It would be certainly cheaper than that Revoltech Action Figure. Plus, I would hope that his amiibo would have some interaction with future Level-5 games.

If Layton doesn't get in, someone should make a custom amiibo for him. There are some really talented artist out there.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Amiibo, man. They're cheap official models with extra functionality in games. How could you go wrong? I bought Dr. Mario just because of that, and anything else was a bonus.

When thinking about amiibo, you have to remember that Akihiro Hino was once quoted as saying having Layton involved in Smash or MarioKart would be a great opportunity. If Layton ended up as an amiibo, we'd likely get it with functionality outside of Smash! Yarn Yoshi Layton would be cute enough alone to persuade me to buy that game. And a MarioKart Mii costume or a Super Mario Maker playable... Sign me the hell up for all of this.

As for creating a custom, I'd always said that if they released a Male WFT with a reasonable pose, I'd do my best to renovate it and make it into a Layton. Though I feel they likely won't release such a model...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've updated the OP with all the new supporters that have joined in recently. (I may have forgotten some though so please don't hesitate to let me know.) only 6 more supporters left until we reach 100. ^^

Anyway, now that things seem to have calmed down a little. It may be for the best to recap everything that happened the past few days. Feel free to correct me if I've made any errors.

* So on July 30th the Layton for Smash Twitter send Professor Layton's voice actor, Christopher Miller a tweet asking him in regards to the IMDb page for Smash Bros 4 and if there was any truth to Layton supposedly making any appearance in that game. Mr. Miller initially replied by denying this and saying that it wasn't true.

* On August 22 he replied to the same tweet saying this time that he may be voicing for Smash Bros after all and that it may have been what those extra pages where for.

* However, on august 23 he said that he actually has no idea if he will be voicing Layton for Smash and that Nintendo would know before he does but that he hopes that Layton would make it in after all.

From the sound of things, Christopher Miller sounds more confused than having any attempt at humor with the fandom as some initially believed.

Yesterday though, it seems that according to @ Martingale Martingale that at least two VA's as Layton had been recorded recently but what they will be used for is unknown, even to Mr. Miller himself (However, he apparently seems to think that one of them is probably for Smash).

One may be able to deduce that one of those recordings is intended for Layton 7 but the other is still in the unknown for now. Level-5's release gaps between Japan and the West tend to be quite wide for a lot of their games so if Mr. Miller may be doing any voice recording for Layton for a Level-5 game, chances are that it may be for a game that may already be out in Japan. However there seems to be no record of Professor Layton's Japanese voice actor having done any voice recordings for any existing Level-5 games since Azran Legacy..... (Not even for Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy where Layton is confirmed to make a cameo appearance)

Other possibilities seem to be a potential confirmation of the second movie. However, considering how Level-5 hasn't really talked about that movie anymore in years and how it was initially meant to fill in and come out between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy (As the story in that movie was meant to take place between those two games) chances are that the movie has been cancelled for some reason. Especially since the continuation between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy seem to flow in just nicely in the first place, leaving not much room for anything in between....

Then there is a possibility of a revival for the Professor Layton franchise which would be exciting news in of it's own but again. If Mr.Miller was supposedly recording lines for a new Layton game, chances are that we would have more than likely known about it...

This more or less leaves the possibility of Layton making a potential guest appearance in a game like Smash Bros or some other game we don't know about.... Which may also add up with Mr.Miller believing that the other voice recording may be intended for Smash. So whatever he was recording during that session. It may have involved a lot of grunts as well as perhaps some famous quotes of Layton such as "Every Puzzle has an answer!" etc.

So I suppose that's more or less the general gist of everything that happened the past few days. Again, if I've made any mistakes or missed something. Feel free to let me know. ^^

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
That's an excellent summary @ Curious Villager Curious Villager , I believe that covers basically everything that's come to light in the past few days.

Probably completely unrelated, but earlier this month, the western release of the artbook The World Of Professor Layton was pushed back roughly three weeks, from 22nd November to 10th December, after having a November 2015 release confirmed since mid-2014. Now, obviously that'd mean something in the context of what transpired this month if we put our tinfoil hats on...

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
@ Curious Villager Curious Villager I think that's all the details. I agree actually - I do not believe he was being facetious, sarcastic, humorous or whatever because at first he said, "it's not true" but then later said "I hope it's true". It doesn't take the prof himself to work out that he was probably genuine with the tweet in between. Therefore, as we already established he has been voicing Layton for a couple of projects. I doubt it's a revival unless they really want to bring him back with a bang with a worldwide reveal. I also doubt it's the second movie unless they just scrapped it and started again from scratch.
Something I am beginning to wonder is if he might be planned for Mario Kart instead - but this is pure conjecture on my part and I have absolutely nothing to back it up, other than Mario Kart sounds would be similar to Smash sounds. (Hm, hah, something roughly equivalent to ouch, a victory quote, you get the gist)
Maybe, just maybe, they're FINALLY giving us London Life?

Top Bottom