• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Excellent ideas you got there, @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 ! I especially love your ideas relating to his throws, up special, Final Smash, and victory animations. Your throw ideas remind me of my throw ideas in my Layton moveset, and that's a good thing considering that the slide puzzles definitely seem to fit the best for the throwing aspect of Layton's moveset! I'm also glad that I'm not the only one that sees his Fossil Glider as another up special idea, and that Final Smash perfectly capture's the most important cutscenes in the Layton games involving his signature point. I even love the original twist you had for the victory animations as well!

The costume ideas also look awesome! I never imagined a Descole-themed coloring for Professor Layton, though I definitely like the idea you are going at. To me, it gives Descole better representation in Smash Bros outside of DLC music and potential Mii costume (I'm a huge supporter for Descole as a playable fighter in Smash Bros, but I know his chances are very slim at the moment, hence why I feel the alternate coloring idea for Layton makes up for it perfectly).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Very good model of Flora, can't help but look at the font placement though, it distracts me.
Hmm.... I suppose I didn't do the font placement too well as I had to cut them out individually from other existing trophies and rearrange them all into this.

Although I think they are supposed to be that spaced out though if that's what you are referring to....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There needs to be font for that made one day. Certainly would run my imagination wild. :L
I've made one actually. For the trophy descriptions at least, that is. I haven't checked yet if the VG Resources has them out already..... would have certainly saved me a lot of time......

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Currently in Chapter 9 in PLvsPW:

Am I seriously against the professor this time. Man I can't wait to see what happens after I sleep, I'm exhausted playing hat game all day.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Page 43 seems to have become very laggy, at least on my end....
@WeirdChillFever @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 @ Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo Perhaps it may be a good idea to remove some quotes containing images and videos and replace them with tags instead? ^^;
Changed my reply of your Flora post to just have links to the images instead of the full things. Anybody that quoted my post definitely needs to do this (though probably just tagging me is better since it would be hard to replace all the images with links); I put in a ton of images and videos, so I can guarantee that my post and all the replies to it would have to be the cause of the lag. :p

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
@ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 please submit that post to Sora. I am quite serious, it's amazing and I love it. You've created a brilliantly unique, technical and genuinely fun fighter out of my favourite character and I absolutely commend your effort. Those alt costumes look remarkably similar to the ones I created a little while ago but never posted - it's a little uncanny! - but yours look much more crisp. They all look fantastic and I'd play as any of them, but if I HAD to pick a favourite, it's a tie between Descole and Chelmey. A great selection of music (though if I may be so bold I'd like to suggest a remix of Link - or maybe Confrontation - from Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney to that list, it would be so perfect for Smash) and I think the stage idea is nothing short of inspired.
This is the kind of creativity that fits Smash so well and I tip my hat to you.

@ Curious Villager Curious Villager I must say, that mock trophy would not be at all out of place in the game. It looks great and the description reads just like the in-game trophies. I can only wish I was this good at modelling.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 to be honest it's probably my favourite in the series. It's by no means perfect but the AA and Layton sections compliment each other so well and I actually really liked the plot more than any other installment. It's probably the first one where I've invested a lot of effort whilst playing into trying to work it out before Layton does. It's not quite Mother 3 (ending was slightly questionable) but it's still very enjoyable.
It's not quite faithful to either of the source material though. They'd need to turn it into a trilogy for that. *hint hint devs*

And now to what I originally logged on to say:
You've probably all heard but in case you didn't, the Professor Layton artbook titled The World of Professor Layton has been announced for an English release in December, certainly for the UK. I assume it's being released in the US too? It's a comprehensive concept art book, in a nutshell, and should be worth picking up if you're interested in the devs' insight into the series.
Completely anticlimatic compared to everything else being said in this thread recently, but just thought I'd mention it! It's kind of like Level-5 are gauging his popularity ahead of his 10th anniversary or trying to rekindle some hype in the Layton stronghold... or perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't know if you guys heard the news, but Level-5 is launching their very first Wii U game.
Though it is a spin-off of Yokai Watch:

Think we'll be getting news regarding PL games on the Wii U?
Maybe a collection of some sort?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@ Curious Villager Curious Villager I must say, that mock trophy would not be at all out of place in the game. It looks great and the description reads just like the in-game trophies. I can only wish I was this good at modelling.
Thank you. It was just a fun little thing I thought I'd do after going further through my model. Although after seeing the Street Fighter trophies. I'm afraid we probably won't be seeing any trophies of any other characters besides Luke if Layton where to make it in. Which would be quite a shame but oh well..... :/

I don't know if you guys heard the news, but Level-5 is launching their very first Wii U game.
Though it is a spin-off of Yokai Watch:

Think we'll be getting news regarding PL games on the Wii U?
Maybe a collection of some sort?
Well I've said it plenty of times before. I'd be happy enough with even an HD collection of the original trilogy. I just hope that Level-5 will acknowledge the series 10th anniversary at least.....

Anyway, I saw that the VG Resources has posted up the series icons from Smash Bros for Wii U so I decided to make a Professor Layton series icon with the same file type as the ones in Smash Bros for Wii U.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
@ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 please submit that post to Sora. I am quite serious, it's amazing and I love it. You've created a brilliantly unique, technical and genuinely fun fighter out of my favourite character and I absolutely commend your effort. Those alt costumes look remarkably similar to the ones I created a little while ago but never posted - it's a little uncanny! - but yours look much more crisp. They all look fantastic and I'd play as any of them, but if I HAD to pick a favourite, it's a tie between Descole and Chelmey. A great selection of music (though if I may be so bold I'd like to suggest a remix of Link - or maybe Confrontation - from Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney to that list, it would be so perfect for Smash) and I think the stage idea is nothing short of inspired.
This is the kind of creativity that fits Smash so well and I tip my hat to you.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 to be honest it's probably my favourite in the series. It's by no means perfect but the AA and Layton sections compliment each other so well and I actually really liked the plot more than any other installment. It's probably the first one where I've invested a lot of effort whilst playing into trying to work it out before Layton does. It's not quite Mother 3 (ending was slightly questionable) but it's still very enjoyable.
It's not quite faithful to either of the source material though. They'd need to turn it into a trilogy for that. *hint hint devs*

And now to what I originally logged on to say:
You've probably all heard but in case you didn't, the Professor Layton artbook titled The World of Professor Layton has been announced for an English release in December, certainly for the UK. I assume it's being released in the US too? It's a comprehensive concept art book, in a nutshell, and should be worth picking up if you're interested in the devs' insight into the series.
Completely anticlimatic compared to everything else being said in this thread recently, but just thought I'd mention it! It's kind of like Level-5 are gauging his popularity ahead of his 10th anniversary or trying to rekindle some hype in the Layton stronghold... or perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.
By Sora, do you mean the company Sakurai is in? Either way I don't know where I'd go to submit it, so if you think it's a good idea, tell me where to go and I'll submit it. :upsidedown:
Thank you. It was just a fun little thing I thought I'd do after going further through my model. Although after seeing the Street Fighter trophies. I'm afraid we probably won't be seeing any trophies of any other characters besides Luke if Layton where to make it in. Which would be quite a shame but oh well..... :/

Well I've said it plenty of times before. I'd be happy enough with even an HD collection of the original trilogy. I just hope that Level-5 will acknowledge the series 10th anniversary at least.....

Anyway, I saw that the VG Resources has posted up the series icons from Smash Bros for Wii U so I decided to make a Professor Layton series icon with the same file type as the ones in Smash Bros for Wii U.

Ooh, that icon looks nice. Might use it in my tag soon.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ooh, that icon looks nice. Might use it in my tag soon.
Thanks. There are more variations of these icons stored in the database so I'll try to make a Professor Layton series version of all of them and as accurately as possible if I can.

Should come in handy one day..... Hopefully....

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Couple things I wanted to show you guys.

First, I have a new signature, with a neat image of Layton in it. I edited a promotional artwork image of Miracle Mask to remove everything but Layton himself, and I edited the recent series icon provided by @ Curious Villager Curious Villager

Couple small discrepancies in the images but they look good in a signature.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here, I've done all the variations of the series icons now. At least from those that where available. It may need a little further tweaking but their done for the most part.
I also made Layton's name too. Not sure if I did it well enough but hey.....

Last edited:

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
huh...I guess you'd like to talk about this...

https://twitter.com/LaytonSmash/status/635188962257190912

Chronology goes like this:

1. Almost a month ago the Layton fan twitter asked Layton's VA about Smash, since he appeared in IMDB.
2. VA denies it
3. Today, the VA on his own switches the old reply with a new one where he says he thinks that he did record lines for Smash
4. Apparently he said that to other user (or other Tweet of the Layton guy, not sure Edit: this is the case)
5. The VA Twitter was always private.

Possibilities:

a. He spilled the beans
b. He wants to **** with people
c. He is mistaken

I'm opting for c.

Since a long-standing VA should be used to NDAs.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

1. Almost a month ago the Layton fan twitter asked Layton's VA about Smash, since he appeared in IMDB.
2. VA denies it
3. Today, the VA on his own switches the old reply with a new one where he says he thinks that he did record lines for Smash
4. Apparently he said that to other user (or other Tweet of the Layton guy, not sure Edit: this is the case)

Possibilities:

a. He spilled the beans
c. He is mistaken

I'm opting for c.

Dang, you beat me to it

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

2. VA denies it

Possibilities:

a. He spilled the beans
c. He is mistaken

I'm opting for c.

Well Shulk's VA did spill the beans (Albeit more vague, but everyone knew the jig was up) before Monado Boy was revealed
So you mates just keep doing Puzzle Things. I'll be here thinking about how bad I am at puzzles. :drshrug:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I was just wondering. Is there any particular professor Layton game you guys would recommend for newcomers to the series?
Start from the very first game, The Curious Village and work your way down
upload_2015-8-22_20-30-2.png

And after you play them all you should watch the movie too, Eternal Diva

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was just wondering. Is there any particular professor Layton game you guys would recommend for newcomers to the series?
If you want to start from the very basics. I'd recommend Curious Village. The story is short and simple enough to give you a good introduction into the series and then work your way up in order of release.

If you want to follow the series from a chronological order you can also go with Last Spectre. (Although I wouldn't recommend that as by the time you get to the original trilogy you will receive a drastic downgrade in features that where introduced over the course of the series.)

The most critically acclaimed game in the series is Unwound Future although I'm not sure if I would recommend playing that first though... ^^

Overall, I'd suggest starting with the Curious Village but in the end, its up to you. I wish you lots of fun if you decide to give the series a go. ^^

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
If you want to start from the very basics. I'd recommend Curious Village. The story is short and simple enough to give you a good introduction into the series and then work your way up in order of release.

If you want to follow the series from a chronological order you can also go with Last Spectre. (Although I wouldn't recommend that as by the time you get to the original trilogy you will receive a drastic downgrade in features that where introduced over the course of the series.)

The most critically acclaimed game in the series is Unwound Future although I'm not sure if I would recommend playing that first though... ^^

Overall, I'd suggest starting with the Curious Village but in the end, its up to you. I wish you lots of fun if you decide to give the series a go. ^^
Thanks for the advice. It may be a while before I buy my first Layton game, because I'm about to get back into college and I don't want to spend any money on games right now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Curious Village's puzzle will give you headache though. You need to think hard on the puzzles.
I actually liked how creative certain puzzles where in that game. It encourages you to think a little outside the box sometimes.

Although I've heard that the touch screen controls in the US versions of the Layton games are a little unresponsive. Which is odd since they worked fine in the PAL versions..... :/

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Although I've heard that the touch screen controls in the US versions of the Layton games are a little unresponsive. Which is odd since they worked fine in the PAL versions..... :/
Really? I didnt know this. Looks like I'll have to replay the game to see

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Really? I didnt know this. Looks like I'll have to replay the game to see
Yeah like you want to type in a certain letter or number and you get something else from what you wanted to write.

In the PAL version though when you are asked to write a name, you are given a keyboard function to type a name with. Whereas in the US version you actually have to write it down. At least if I recall correctly....

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Yeah like you want to type in a certain letter or number and you get something else from what you wanted to write.

In the PAL version though when you are asked to write a name, you are given a keyboard function to type a name with. Whereas in the US version you actually have to write it down. At least if I recall correctly....
Oooh oh yeah, that was annoying x.x

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Man, I know that Christopher has some sort of sense of humor, so I'm praying that he's not joking around with this one, haha. I feel like his response could be taken either way, though I don't understand either side of it. If he was telling the truth, he'd probably be breaking some sort of contract, and if he was lying, he'd be playing with our hearts. :nervous: Either way though, this is still exciting news (at least this is spurring some chat, lol) and hopefully it'll at least bring some more support out from fans if it gets big. :b:

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I'm also skeptical about Layton appearing in Smash, but he would definitely be a welcome addition to me. If he does make it in, here's the question: Will he have made it in as a Smash Ballot winner, or as a surprise preballot choice?

Top Bottom