• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Apparently I'm told that whole voting thing is just for Smash Fest. Not Smashified.

I think Artsy Omni also said that he wouldn't be doing any third parties for a while....

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Please dominate the poll on Twitter
But I want both... :( I'll vote for Layton, but I really hope they do both eventually.

Also, been working on my Layton moveset and it's been coming along nicely. Expect it soon! :)

EDIT:
Apparently I'm told that whole voting thing is just for Smash Fest. Not Smashified.

I think Artsy Omni also said that he wouldn't be doing any third parties for a while....
Oh... :ohwell:

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
The best introduction tagline I thought up for Layton was "Layton enters the equation!", though there's probably a better one somewhere.
Could someone please explain to me what Smashfest is and the significance of Teams Wright and Layton? It sounds vaguely awesome and I love both characters, but I'm completely and utterly clueless about the whole thing.
I'll be sure to set time aside for voting in that poll too and I'll do some research on the current slate. Hope other people do some research on the Prof this time though...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The best introduction tagline I thought up for Layton was "Layton enters the equation!", though there's probably a better one somewhere.
Could someone please explain to me what Smashfest is and the significance of Teams Wright and Layton? It sounds vaguely awesome and I love both characters, but I'm completely and utterly clueless about the whole thing.
I'll be sure to set time aside for voting in that poll too and I'll do some research on the current slate. Hope other people do some research on the Prof this time though...
That's actually pretty cool. and it rhyme's too. :p

I'm not actually sure myself to be honest as I don't really follow Artsy Omni's Smashify Twitter. I heard it's similar to Splatfest though.

jcolin1

Smash Rookie
So, here's a thought: What would you think of Layton ended up as a mii costume?

Personally, I would obviously prefer a full character, but that would be at least acknowledgement of his existence. Im not certain if Level-5 would let them use him just for a costume, unless they had a few Level-5 characters from Yokai Watch or Fantasy Life as costumes as well.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'd understand, but it would be a little heart-breaking to say the least. Layton's history with Nintendo should earn him a spot on the roster, he has enough interesting characteristics to get in as playable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At this point I think a Mii costume is probably the best he will probably get..... A playable character in his own right would be preferred though.

The good thing with Layton though is that his head is simplistic enough to be pretty accurately replicated with a Mii as to not end up looking too awkward or anything. So having a costume of him can still look pretty authentic.

If Layton where to be playable himself, I can see Level-5 allowing a few other Professor Layton or even some other Level-5 characters in as Mii costumes which would be pretty neat I guess.

jcolin1

Smash Rookie
An Emmy dress for the brawler would be lovely as well. While the third party costumes have been limited to Sega/Capcom/Namco, but given Level-5's closeness to Nintendo it would be possible for a mii costume or two. Hopefully... Maybe...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd like a costume of some other characters too. I suppose Emmy and Descole can work for the Brawler and Sword Fighter respectively as they are practically the second most requested Layton characters behind Layton himself from the Professor Layton fandom (poor Luke, but I'm fairly sure he would get a costume too.....).

If we where to get Mii fighter outfits from other Level-5 franchises, I suppose Mark Evans and a character from Yokai Watch wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility either....

Of course, this is all assuming Professor Layton himself makes it in first.....

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
My friends, I have been off Smashboards for quite some time, though this means I have been gathering news and interesting tidbits for you all! I shall start with the most exciting of things, offering up a glimmer of hope!

Layton's Voice Actors Credited for Smash 3DS on IMDb
A curious mystery. Layton's English and Japanese voice actors, Christopher Robin Miller and Yo Oizumi, are now being credited in IMDb's page for Smash Bros for 3DS. Shantae's voice actor is also claimed to be in the game, but said she was removing the attribution. That didn't happen yet. I contacted Christopher asking about this and unsurprisingly received no response. While IMDb can be edited by anyone, there is apparently a screening process for any edits, so I personally can't believe that all three of these actors would be attributed incorrectly. What's more, that they haven't been removed yet despite, to our current knowledge, being incorrect and the VAs being aware. An interesting thing to watch, and indeed a glimmer of hope for our true gentleman hitting the battlefield!

Thinking of Trailers
With that prior potential news in the back of my mind, I came across a Reddit thread the other day asking how you would design a trailer to offer up the most hype possible. I believe you lot would get a bit of hype out of this, so I'll drop it in here! This is what I would imagine might happen if Level-5 gave the folks on the Smash team quite a bit of freedom.
The trailer begins in an anime style, with sombre piano music playing in the background. The camera cuts between different scenes in an office-- focusing on a bookshelf lined with historical textbooks, then on a model skeleton of a prehistoric creature, and finally on a letter opened and overturned on the desk, with various writing implements scattered around it. The envelope of the letter was sealed with the Smash logo. The camera angle changes to an overhead view of the office, which has been left in complete disarray. A bare coatrack is knocked over in a corner.

The scene changes and the music changes dramatically in tempo as an evening fight ensues between Zelda and Wario. Zelda is thrown by Wario, causing her to slam into the ground and roll towards a wall, hitting it with force. Wario walks towards her and casts a shadow on her, and prepares a powerful punch. He stops when he sees a top-hatted shadow now being cast to his left. He looks behind him, and the camera now focuses on a new appearance. The title music to Curious Village begins playing.

"Pardon me for interrupting," Professor Layton says sternly, drawing his rapier from its holster and pointing it towards the camera, "but I believe that is no way for one to treat a lady."

Cue title screen: Professor Layton Puzzles Opponents!"

A demo reel of Layton's attacks (including Slot Machine Gun, fencing and hint coin tossing) is played as voiceovers continue talking:

"Luke: Professor! Are you really going to get mixed up in such a brutal tournament?!"

"Layton: Well, my boy, it's true that Smash can be a bit rough, but quick thinking and careful planning should see me through."

"Luke: Well, if you're serious about this, as your apprentice I'm entering too to assist you!"

"Layton: I'm afraid I can't allow that, Luke. It's far too dangerous a place for a child without supernatural powers." As this line is said, Layton wearing a costume in Luke's colour scheme narrowly avoids PK Thunders from Lucas and Ness.

"Luke: But why are you entering anyway?"

"Layton: Well, this tournament has some very... Questionable tactics." As this line is said, a few clips are shown of Diddy Kong throwing a banana, Yoshi using Egg Lay on Mario, Zero Suit Samus paralysing a foe, and Wario farting."But I believe I can teach them a thing or two about fighting fairly."

A scene shows off Layton's final smash, and then a scene portrays Marth and Layton dash towards each other as Layton shouts "En garde!". The trailer cuts to the Smash title as they are about to connect.

After the trailer, the Level-5 logo appears on screen. It zooms in and rotates slowly, its square shape slowly becomes a circle, then two bright slashes-- one horizontal, one vertical-- complete the transformation from Level-5 logo to Smash logo!

Text appears on screen; "Level-5 Mii Costumes Take You to a New Level!!"

"Smash Bros x Professor Layton" A Mii Brawler costume of Luke Triton is shown, with him showing remarkable interest in the animal characters of Smash. A Mii Swordfighter costume of Jean Descole is then displayed, fencing with Layton and attempting to tinker with ROB.

"Smash Bros x Inazuma Eleven" A Mii Brawler costume of Endou Maromu is shown on screen. He attacks to knock back several incoming football items, and a second scene shows him returning Wii Fit Trainer's Header ball to attack her with!

"Smash Bros x Little Battlers eXperience" A Mii Gunner character of a Little Battlers robot is displayed, engaging in a battle with Mega Man and ROB.

"Smash Bros x Fantasy Life" A Mii Swordfighter of the Paladin costume appears, slashing at Ganondorf on the Luigi's Mansion stage. Next, a Mii Brawler of the Angler life costume is shown, battling with Greninja, swimming at Delfino Plaza and finally bouncing alongside several Goldeen.

All six of the costumes line up on screen, with Layton at the end of the line, and the costumes fade out to display "LEVEL-5", with each of the characters fading into one of the logo's letters and dash. Then I wake up.

LaytonSmash Tops 200 Followers!
Having being running the Twitter and Tumblr LaytonSmash accounts since April 5th (though admittedly Tumblr is in disuse), it's awesome to say that despite the fact we might not be the biggest or the loudest fanbase, and our hopes might not be the most realistic either, over 200 people subscribe to one of these two accounts, even with room for overlaps. Great to see the support around for the true king of third party!

Of Smashified and Gentlemen
It's been announced that the next few Smashified projects will be first-party, which makes it unlikely we'll get Layton done before the ballots close. The musician for Smashified has made a pretty cool Layton remix, so it might be on the minds of the Smashified folks though. And, unfortunately, stupid blue-suit lawyer guy apparently is more popular than Layton according to their poll. Oh well. #TeamLayton!

I believe that's all my news right now! Here's hoping for great things as the last two months of the ballot play out.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't trust IMDB in general, but very cool trailer idea.
Where is Smash Bros x Yokai Watch though. :<

Do you have a source on the screening process?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really know much about IMDB and how trustworthy they are. Is this the same place where people found out about Krystal's voice actress for Brawl?

Nice trailer idea though and it's nice to hear from you again Martingale.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If one of the pictures on the site won't feature Pikachu walking some kind of obstacle course of apples and threadmills with Layton in the background I will be very dissapointed.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How did they find out about Krystal's voice actress that's the question.
If I recall correctly. It was the voice actress herself who accidentally confirmed that she was going to do some voicing for Brawl. I kinda forgot on what site she did it though.....

A lot of people took that as a confirmation that Krystal was playable though, Which she didn't end up being in the end.....

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm.... does the IMDB website credit all the voice actors or just the Japanese and English ones?

Professor Layton and a few other characters (Such as Jigglypuff) have different voice actors in different languages too. Jigglypuff is called Roundoudou and Pummeluff in Germany and I think Italy or France and she has a different voice actress to reflect that. Likewise Professor Layton got different voice actors too from Elysian Box onwards.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
If I recall correctly. It was the voice actress herself who accidentally leaked that she was going to do some voicing for Brawl. I kinda forgot on what site she did it though.....

A lot of people took that as a confirmation that Krystal was playable though, Which she didn't end up being in the end.....
Yeah, I believe that is what happened. Despite my general distrust in crowd sourced info websites, curiously this week Christina Vee (Shantae's VA) discussed properly updating her IMDB and was working very hard to discourage the belief Shantae had been confirmed for Smash, and that she was going to delete it. After I talked to Chris Miller, he posted a new voice demo reel on Twitter about 20 minutes later. His presence on Twitter is very sparse, so it's interesting that both of these VAs sort of jumped up at the same time this info appeared.

I don't trust IMDB in general, but very cool trailer idea.
Where is Smash Bros x Yokai Watch though. :<

Do you have a source on the screening process?
Ah yes, Yokai Watch, I keep forgetting that as it hasn't launched here properly. But it'd definitely feature if this sort of thing happened for real!

I don't have a source on their process offhand but I'll get it to you as soon as I can locate it again.

Hmm.... does the IMDB website credit all the voice actors or just the Japanese and English ones?

Professor Layton and a few other characters (Such as Jigglypuff) have different voice actors in different languages too. (Jigglypuff is called Roundoudou and Pumeluff in Germany and I think Italy or France and she has a different voice actress to reflect that. Likeweise Layton got different voice actors too from Elysian Box onwards))
They only seem to credit English and Japanese from what I've seen of the Smash Bros. pages. A little unusual, but it would get messy with every language involved.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, I believe that is what happened. Despite my general distrust in crowd sourced info websites, curiously this week Christina Vee (Shantae's VA) discussed properly updating her IMDB and was working very hard to discourage the belief Shantae had been confirmed for Smash, and that she was going to delete it. After I talked to Chris Miller, he posted a new voice demo reel on Twitter about 20 minutes later. His presence on Twitter is very sparse, so it's interesting that both of these VAs sort of jumped up at the same time this info appeared.

Ah yes, Yokai Watch, I keep forgetting that as it hasn't launched here properly. But it'd definitely feature if this sort of thing happened for real!

I don't have a source on their process offhand but I'll get it to you as soon as I can locate it again.

They only seem to credit English and Japanese from what I've seen of the Smash Bros. pages. A little unusual, but it would get messy with every language involved.
Source for the Twitter?

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Source for the Twitter?
Sadly, he keeps it on private, but it's @cmillercreative and he tends to accept any followers. The new demos are the only posts this week, and the only other since May were some automated ones from Amazon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I see, I'd still be careful as to not misinterpret it as official confirmation though.....

It does seem a little unprofessional though to only credit voice actors from two regions and not all of them. But like I said. I don't really know how that site works and all.... :/

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I think that as long as people like us keep spamming Layton in the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot, we should get through to Nintendo. What's puzzling (eh? get it?) to me, however, is that if these iMDB 'leaks' are inaccurate, why haven't they been taken down yet? I think there just might be a hint of truth in these theories.

Or, maybe, I'm just blindly entertaining the notion that having Layton in Smash isn't that far away.

Either way, this is something that I've wanted since they announced Smash 4 at E3 2 years ago. I have a feeling we're close here.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You know something? I used to be against Professor Layton getting in, but now I'm feeling a sudden interest in what he could bring to the table. I imagine if Professor Layton stays popular with Nintendo, he "just might" get in, but idk.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hey there fellow Laytonites, I've got a gift for you all today. :) I've finally completed a full moveset for Professor Layton, along with a few little extras I made. I put a lot of thought into it and went very in depth with all of his moves. Hope you enjoy, and I'd be glad to hear any feedback. Thanks!

Moveset:
Professor Layton Makes a Curious Entrance!

(Art made by Katikut on Deviantart)

Introduction:
A gentleman by nature, Professor Hershel Layton doesn't attack through brute force like some fighters. He instead uses his sword fencing techniques, various gadgets and elements from his puzzles, and vast intellect and strategy to give him an edge over his opponents. He has a very elegant style to the way he fights.

Professor Layton is a medium weight fighter (slightly heavier than average due to his height), with a little slower run speed than average, and around average jump height and fall speed. To use Layton, you need to think all of your moves through, as he has numerous setups and mind games at his disposal to use against his opponents. I tried to incorporate as many elements from the Professor Layton games as I could, from the puzzles, to the cutscenes, to even his background as an archaeology professor. Without further ado, here is my Super Smash Bros. moveset for the one and only, Professor Hershel Layton.

(Warning: Minor spoilers ahead.)

Normal Attacks (Jab, Tilts, Dash):
A majority of Layton's normal attacks make use of the sword used in this scene from Diabolical/Pandora's Box.

Jab: (Low hit) 4%; (High hit) 6% - Layton swings his sword in a circular motion from the ground to just over his head. The low hit is only active if the opponent is extremely close to Layton during the first hit frame; it has very little knockback, and won't even send opponents into the air. The high hit is the rest of the move, and has a bit less range than Marth's forward tilt. It sends opponents in the air, setting up for combos at low to mid percents

Forward Tilt: (Hit 1) 3%; (Hit 2) 6%; (Total) 9% - Layton thrusts forward twice with his sword outstretched, jabbing at his opponent in time with his footwork, just as if he were advancing in fencing. The first hit almost always connects into the second hit. The second hit has good knockback, killing near the ledge at high percents. Can be punished from behind if you miss, but it doesn't have much ending lag.

Up Tilt: (Hit 1-2) 5.5%; (Total) 11% - Layton swings his sword overhead twice, first from front to back, then back to the front. Doesn't lead into any attacks directly and only kills at very high percents, but puts opponents at a disadvantage in the air. A good option against airborne opponents and has good range.

Down Tilt: (Hit 1-2) 1.5%; (Hit 3) 2%; (Total) 5% - As a nod to his background as an archaeology professor, Layton uses a small hand broom to sweep the ground in front of him, "dusting for fossils". Has 3 linking hits with poor range, the last of which has a chance to trip opponents. The duration of the move is a bit lengthy, but it has very little start up time and ending lag. This move also does considerable shield damage (a little more than 1/3 of a full shield in total), and shield pokes enemies when the shield is small enough.

Dash Attack: 8% - Layton performs a running sidestep by dodging into the background briefly making him impervious to damage, then turns around to strike with his sword from the other side (similar to Shulk's counter animation but faster). It can kill at high percents, but keep in mind that you send opponents the opposite direction you were initially running. This move has some ending lag, so if it fails to connect you can be punished.

Smash Attacks:
All of Layton's smash attacks use the steel pipe from this cutscene. They're more force driven than most of his moves, but they still have some finesse.

Forward Smash: (No tipper uncharged, fully charged) 15%, 20%; (Tipper uncharged, fully charged) 20%, 28% - Layton swings his pipe forward similarly to Marth, except it has very slightly less range and has a bit more startup time, making it more powerful.

Up Smash: (Hit 1 uncharged, fully charged) 11%, 17%; (Hit 2 uncharged, fully charged) 5%, 8%; (Total uncharged, fully charged) 16%, 25% - This move has a similar mechanic to Link's forward smash. You can input once for the first hit, or you can input twice for both hits. For the first hit, Layton jabs his pipe directly above his head, which does a lot of damage but has very poor horizontal range. It has relatively fast start up and ending lag, and will connect into the second hit if you manage to land it. The second hit has Layton swing in an arch around him from front to back, having good range. It has high knockback that sends the opponent in the direction they were hit by the swing; because of this, it will be easier to kill with it if you hit them at the top by connecting into it from the first hit. Has a lot of ending lag, so you should only input the second hit if you're confident it will connect.

Down Smash: (Inital hit uncharged, fully charged) 13%, 19%; (Front hit uncharged, fully charged) 12%, 16% - Layton hits the ground behind him with his pipe, and then scrapes it along the ground to his front. Similar hitboxes to Ness' down smash, but is a bit slower on startup.

Aerial Attacks:
His aerial attacks consist of elements from some the more reoccurring puzzles found within the Layton games.

Neutral Aerial: (Both hitboxes) 13% - Two oversized chess pieces of different colors appear on either side of Layton, moving outward slightly before disappearing. Somewhat lengthy startup and landing lag, but to make up for that it has great KO power.

Forward Aerial: (Hit 1-4) 1.5%; (Hit 5) 2.5%; (Total) 8.5% - Layton quickly "deals" five playing cards in front of him, from top to bottom. Works very similarly to Samus' forward air, except it's faster and has less landing lag, to balance dealing less damage and slightly less vertical range. It still connects just as well due to Layton being a less floaty character than Samus. You can potentially use this move to combo into itself and up air pretty easily, though you won't always connect all the hits. The first 4 cards are blue, and the last one is red to signify it has more knockback.

Up Aerial: (Early hit) 8%; (Apex) 15%; (Late hit) 3% - Layton casually flips a hint coin into the air. It plays the sound effect for when you find a hint coin in-game. A hitbox is in effect for the duration of the move; if you hit opponents at the apex of the coin flip, it will have great upward KO potential, killing even at upper-mid percents while in the top portion of the stage. The coin gleams at the apex to indicate this. Hitting too early will do less damage, but still have decent knockback, and hitting with it too late will have negligible damage and knockback. It's a quick move, just be careful to space it properly.

Back Aerial: (Hit 1-4) 1.25%; (Hit 5) 2.5%; (Total) 7.5% - Essentially the same as forward air, with one key difference. Instead of dealing from top to bottom in front of him, he tosses the cards from bottom to top behind him, with slightly less damage. Best used when opponents are attempting to juggle you in the air, allowing you to escape by throwing them behind you to intercept an attack, or potentially using it for edgeguarding purposes.

Down Aerial: 2% - With this grand move, Layton pours a 3 quart pitcher of water below him. Yes, it sounds silly, but it comes from quite a memorable puzzle type. This move has a windbox effect that pushes opponents around, similar to Mario's F.L.U.D.D., or Mr. Game and Watch's up air. However, this move sends opponents downward (influences upward momentum to have less height) and has a weaker effect than the examples I listed. It has pretty low range, so you have to be very close to your opponent to affect them. It's very useful for gimping certain recoveries and for pushing opponents away from juggling you. Grounded opponents won't be affected aside from the small damage output. This move also has a fair bit of landing lag.

Grab, Pummel, & Throws:

All of Professor Layton's throws have 3 square shaped pieces of a sliding puzzle appear and push the opponent around before sending them in a direction. The first tile moves them in the opposite direction you're throwing them, and they continue flipping the opponent clockwise until they're sent in the intended direction by the final hit.

Grab: Layton simply grabs the opponent with his right hand. Has slightly below average grab range.

Pummel: 1.3% (per hit) - A true gentleman never hits a lady (or anyone for that matter). Layton just shakes his opponent a tiny bit, causing a piece of a jigsaw puzzle to appear and fall on the opponent's head. A very fast pummel.

Forward Throw: (Hit 1-2) 1%; (Hit 3) 2%; (Total) 4% - The last tile, instead of sending opponents in the air, makes them slide along the ground, about half the length of Final Destination, though they can act out of it a little before they reach that distance (rolling, stand up, get-up attack). It will also make them slide off of platforms. This move is very useful; you'll see why when you get to Layton's down special move.

Up Throw: (Hit 1-2) 3%; (Hit 3) 6%; (Total) 12% - Simply throws opponents straight up into the air. Will only kill at insanely high percents, but it has the most damage output, so it's the best option for when your other grabs won't lead into anything.

Back Throw: (Hit 1-2) 1%; (Hit 3) 2%; (Total) 4% - Same effect as forward throw, except it slides opponents along the floor behind Layton.

Down Throw: (Hit 1-2) 2%; (Hit 3) 4%; (Total) 8% - Sends opponents vertically in front of you. A good combo throw for low to mid percents. Your followups normally consist of forward air, up air if they DI up, grounded neutral special if they DI down (works in the air if they airdodge), and neutral air at mid percents. You can also use other grounded attacks if they try to air dodge to the ground, and you'll still be in a good position regardless of whether or not to follow up with anything.

Special Attacks:
Layton's special attacks consist of various tools found throughout the series. They're very different from the rest of his moves and have quite unique properties.

Neutral Special: Slot Machine Gun: (Uncharged) 5%; (Fully charged multi-hit total ranged, close) 11%, 16%; (Fully charged final hit ranged, close) 7%, 10%; (Total ranged, close) 18%, 26% -

Layton uses the Slot Machine Gun he created in Unwound/Lost Future to shoot at opponents. It's chargable similarly to Samus' Charge Shot, where it can only be charged on the ground; however, instead of being a fast moving projectile, this move is a flurry of hits within a certain area. When shot uncharged, it will just create a small blast of coins near the tip of the gun. To charge, Layton pours a bucket of coins into the top of the gun. The longer it's charged, it does more damage, has increased length and height, and lasts longer. The max range is a little less than the height of Layton, and the max length a little more than 1/4 of Final Destination, while the max time spent shooting is a little less than 2 seconds. The closer the opponent is to Layton, the more damage they take and knockback they receive at the end. The final hit makes Layton recoil backward very slightly. Has higher KO power the closer the opponent is to Layton; it won't easily kill if they're caught farther away, but will kill at high percents if they're closer. Incredibly useful for gimping opponents or just dealing a ton of damage. When Layton pulls the gun out to shoot, a short revving sound will play to indicate that it's about to shoot. While used in the air your fall will be stalled; however, it will also put you in free fall (where you can only move left and right without attacking) after the attack, so you shouldn't use this off-stage.

Side Special: Investigation: 18% -

Layton uses the magnifying glass that is used to find hidden objects and investigate areas in the overworld. Layton assumes a thinking pose as a larger version of this magnifying glass appears a few feet in front of him, which can be aimed in any direction a bit before it activates. If it misses, the magnifying glass shatters and Layton crosses his arms and shakes his head, saying "Oh dear..." before returning to fighting. If it connects with an opponent, the magnifying glass highlights orange, and the opponent is momentarily stunned in place while a red exclamation mark appears over their head as if the professor found a hidden puzzle, sound cue and all. Layton points his finger at the stunned opponent (similar to Phoenix Wright raising an Objection) and exclaims "Aha!" or "Here we are!" before they're sent diagonally upward. This move has good kill power since it has some startup and ending lag. If used in the air, you won't be completely stalled, but will fall down slowly while you move the magnifying glass.

Up Special: Pterodactyl Glider: 7% -

Layton uses the custom-built hang glider he made out of a pterodactyl fossil in Azran Legacy to fly around. It is a mostly horizontal recovery, so when used, a small gust of wind blows it up a little less than a full jump height. You can then control the movement by pressing left or right. If you hold backward, the glider will rise up a bit before stalling and falling back down. If you hold forward, it will do a nosedive at a fairly steep angle. The more downward momentum you have, the more you can rise upward before falling back down again. You can also press up or down to escape the move and enter free fall, or use any attack button to attack out of the glider (you can only use one attack before entering free fall), just remember you can't use the glider again until you touch the ground. If you jump off of it and it comes in contact with an opponent, they will take damage as the contraption explodes and take moderate knockback. It will not do any damage to the opponent unless they cause it to explode directly. It will explode but won't do damage when you grab the ledge, it comes in contact with the stage, or it explodes after gliding for too long, which will also make Layton enter free fall if he's still holding onto it.

Down Special: Matchsticks: (Grounded initial hit) 3%; (Grounded multi-hit) 2% (per hit); (Air) 9% -

Layton strikes 2 matches from the numerous matchstick puzzles of the series and drops them to the ground. If an opponent steps on them, they will burst into flames similarly to PK Fire, becoming trapped and racking up damage. If used in the air, the match drops down for a split second before burning out and disappearing (unless it lands on the ground in which case it will act normally again). Also, if it connects while falling through the air, instead of erupting into flames, it bursts upon contact, dealing damage once and sending opponents straight up, possibly leading into an up air. The move has a little bit of startup and ending lag, making it a little bit dangerous to use if your opponent has stage control. You can only have one set of matches out at a time; the matches stay on the ground for 12 seconds before disappearing, and you have to wait another 8 seconds after it completely disappears before using it again. This move doesn't damage you unless it's reflected while you're dropping it or after it bursts into flames (it can't be reflected while lying on the ground, as the first hit doesn't count as a projectile). This move is very useful in conjunction with forward and back throw, since they slide opponents across the stage, possibly causing them to slide into the matches, normally guaranteeing a followup.

Final Smash: Ultimate Deduction: (Main target) 46%; (Bystanders) 30% -
(Spoiler warning for Unwound/Lost Future; not necessary to understand it, but would give you a visual)
Since cutscenes are an integral part of the Layton series, I figure one would be perfect for his Final Smash. Any nearby opponents are taken into a small room, but only the closest opponent to Layton will take the most damage from it. This is what happens in the cutscene... Layton can be seen in the room along with Luke, Emmy, Chelmey, Flora, and any characters caught in the Final Smash. Layton is pacing around the room, saying "Someone here has made a grave error in their plan..." He then turns to face the single opponent, pointing his finger at them saying "And that someone is there!" (He says someone instead of person since there are some non-human fighters in Smash) Everyone in the room gasps, and all opponents caught in the attack are sent as the cutscene ends. The opponent confronted by Layton is sent the farthest, while the bystanders take less knockback, but still enough to potentially kill.

Taunts:
Professor Layton's quite the gentleman, so his taunts represent his kind but fun nature.

Up Taunt: Layton tips his hat and says "A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved."

Side Taunt: Layton pulls out a cup of tea and takes a sip, after which he says "Ah, how refreshing."

Down Taunt: Layton crosses his arms with a solemn face, eyes closed, and says "Hmm, you should work on your manners..."

Entrance:

The Laytonmobile drives into view, and as it leaves (driven by the unseen Emmy as you can't see through the windows), you can see Layton left behind, who politely tips his hat before the fight begins.

Idle Animations:
Idle animations occur when the player doesn't move or attack for a few seconds. Thought it'd be a fun little bonus to add them.

Idle Animation 1: Layton tilts his head down, with his eyes closed and his hand up to his chin as he concentrates on thinking. He then quickly looks at the screen before resuming his pose.

Idle Animation 2: Layton pulls out a pencil and notepad, which he begins jotting things down on. After a moment, he looks up in front of him and puts them away.

Victory Animations:
Layton's victory animations try to replicate the "puzzle solved" animations. But, instead of fading in and out since there's no black background, the camera quickly zooms in on each animation while Layton switches his poses quickly but cleanly. It retains the same music, and I'll explain how the voices work in each one, since both Layton's and the announcer's voices play.

Victory Animation 1:
Layton (right before music plays): "That should do it!"
Announcer (as the 3 bleeps play): "And the winner is..."
Announcer (when the answer is revealed): "Professor Layton!"
Layton (after the announcer finishes): "Every puzzle has an answer."

Victory Animation 2:
Layton: "There we go!"
Announcer: "And the winner is..."
Announcer: "Professor Layton!"
Layton: "Critical thinking is the key to success."

Victory Animation 3 (includes Luke):
Luke: "I think I've got it!"
Announcer: "And the winner is..."
Announcer: "Professor Layton!"
Luke (as Layton walks in): "I did it, professah!"
Layton (as he pats him on the shoulder): "Haha, well done, Luke."

Final Thoughts:
And that's about it. I did a lot of research in terms of other characters' moves to balance Layton's moveset while trying to provide something that's as accurate to him and his source material as possible. Thanks for reading, and let's hope our professor makes his entrance someday!

Stage:
(Spoiler warning for Curious Village)
Fighting takes place on a portion of the large tower from Curious Village. The stage switches between night and day similarly to Gaur Plain, and you can see the entirety of St. Mystere below from where you fight. Occasionally, Don Paolo will appear in the night sections (Wii U version only) and destroy parts of the stage with his flying contraption. He can be defeated, but will leave by daytime if he isn't. To reform the stage, enormous sliding puzzle blocks come in from the side and collide into the tower, merging and then transforming into the correct shape and same texture as the tower until it is fully fixed.

Potential Music:
Professor Layton's Theme (Orchestral)

Professor Layton's Theme (Band)

Professor Layton Puzzle Theme Medley
(Essentially a mix of various puzzle themes found here)

The Curious Village

Don Paolo's Theme

A Moment of Rest

The Gilded 7 Casino

Professor Layton: Puzzle Battle

The Last Specter's Theme

Rumble!

Jean Descole's Theme

The Toy Robot

Airship Chase

(I don't know if these last 3 songs will work due to licensing issues and whatnot being from the Ace Attorney crossover and the Layton movie, but you never know I guess.)

Pursuit - Casting Magic

The Eternal Diva

Future British Gentleman

Alternate Costumes:
Feel free to say which one you like best. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That was a great post @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 You and I share quite a few idea's too from the looks of things such as the Final Smash and throw's.

I also love the palette swap artwork you've made, At the very least we should certainly get the first three (Besides Layton's default one)

Also I've done a little something too.

It's my first self made trophy of my first character model. c:

Also.....

I think I can probably start on some other character models too. Especially Luke. Layton as well hopefully if I try hard enough.....

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
That was a great post @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 You and I share quite a few idea's too from the looks of things such as the Final Smash and throw's.

I also love the palette swap artwork you've made, At the very least we should certainly get the first three (Besides Layton's default one)

Also I've done a little something too.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/58b7a358405dd1880f72cf8f38582f4b/tumblr_nryx8wGRng1u9u4k1o1_1280.png

It's my first self made trophy of my first character model. c:

Also.....

I think I can probably start on some other character models too. Especially Luke. Layton as well hopefully if I try hard enough.....
Woah, you made that model?! That's amazing! It looks really good. Those art gallery pages are pretty neat too, I haven't seen those before. Whenever you have time, it'd be awesome if you could make a Layton and Luke model, especially since I someday plan on making a fan-made Smash game with models, once I get more experienced in programming.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hey there fellow Laytonites, I've got a gift for you all today. :) I've finally completed a full moveset for Professor Layton, along with a few little extras I made. I put a lot of thought into it and went very in depth with all of his moves. Hope you enjoy, and I'd be glad to hear any feedback. Thanks!
I literally had a fit when I saw this. So much possibility :250:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Woah, you made that model?! That's amazing! It looks really good. Those art gallery pages are pretty neat too, I haven't seen those before. Whenever you have time, it'd be awesome if you could make a Layton and Luke model, especially since I someday plan on making a fan-made Smash game with models, once I get more experienced in programming.
Yup. It took me quite sometime as well as lots of editing and redoing certain part of her model. I'm still not quite finished yet but I'm reaching the end now though. I even did some facial expressions for her based off how the likes of Toon Link and Ness where designed in Super Smash Bros for Wii U.
I'm certainly planning to do Luke and definitely Layton too. I'd love to see an actual 3D model of him based off the art style of Smash 4.
I'd certainly like to use these models for Smash Bros for Wii U if/once model imports becomes possible for it one day. Which is probably why I designed them with Smash 4 in mind..... ^^

Top Bottom