• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting fact: Back when I was first thinking about Professor Layton as a fighter in Smash Bros, this is what I came up with for his Final Smash. His "And that person is you" point really defines him, and I thought it would be a great final smash b/c in the games, this point it seems to have a rattling effect toward the culprit in addition to exposing their true nature (as in the case with Don Paolo).

I remember imagining this kind of final smash as one where you pick which opponent you want to KO, and Layton does the point on that person. I ultimately moved away from this Final Smash idea b/c I couldn't think of a way to make it look very appealing during a fight, which is how I eventually settled for his Final Smash relating to a puzzle.

All of this said, I love your idea with the point for the Final Smash. I never even thought about making it like the cinematic final Smashes of other characters. In fact, I think your idea for Layton's final smash is the best thus far!
very kind of you to say so. thank you

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
yes especially as rayman has two trophies
He has three.

I'm moreso bummed out that Rayman and Bit.Trip were the only third-party franchise to get content in Smash. I was so hopeful for more to come too...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is anyone bummed that Layton had no representation whatsoever?
I suppose some representation would have been nice (especially music), but I never really expected it in the first place, so I can't say I'm too upset about it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah Rayman has three trophies, then there is that Bit Trip guy and there was that one trophy from that one obscure third party game in the 3DS version. Thinking about that, yeah, it's a bit of a bummer Layton didn't really get a trophy. Oh well. it was a nice run all said and done.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah Rayman has three trophies, then there is that Bit Trip guy and there was that one trophy from that one obscure third party game in the 3DS version. Thinking about that, yeah, it's a bit of a bummer Layton didn't really get a trophy. Oh well. it was a nice run all said and done.
the corridors one or hydroventure?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm referring to the Goligan Trophy.

At least according to some people here, the series it stems from is third party, I'm not sure myself to be honest.... :/

Despite that the series ended. I would like to see its fanbase carrying on like the Mother/Earthbound fanbase do.

I hope Level-5 will do something nice for the Layton series on its tenth Anniversary in about two years at least (Oh gosh Curious Village will already be 10 years old in Japan by 2017? Darn I feel old.....) Perhaps remaking/porting the original trilogy over to the Wii U or something would be pretty neat.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm referring to the Goligan Trophy.

At least according to some people here, the series it stems from is third party, I'm not sure myself to be honest.... :/
oh that thing id forgotten about it (well blocked it from memory its pretty creepy)

Despite that the series ended. I would like to see its fanbase carrying on like the Mother/Earthbound fanbase do.

I hope Level-5 will do something nice for the Layton series on its tenth Anniversary in about two years at least (Oh gosh Curious Village will already be 10 years old in Japan by 2017? Darn I feel old.....) Perhaps remaking/porting the original trilogy over to the Wii U or something would be pretty neat.
it would be a nic way to celebrate it

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Come to think of it, whatever happened to that "Layton 7" spin-off? Wasn't it supposed to release this year or something? And Layton Brothers for that matter, has there been any talk in regards to that?

I haven't really been looking up if anything popped up in regards to whatever Level-5 has been up to lately..... :/

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Come to think of it, whatever happened to that "Layton 7" spin-off? Wasn't it supposed to release this year or something? And Layton Brothers for that matter, has there been any talk in regards to that?

I haven't really been looking up if anything popped up in regards to whatever Level-5 has been up to lately..... :/
well there hasn't been anything about layton 7 since the announcement as far as i can tell

as for layton brothers it was released last year it would seem

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well there hasn't been anything about layton 7 since the announcement as far as i can tell

as for layton brothers it was released last year it would seem
I see.

Oh I know it's already out for a while. It's just that I've heard something about Level-5 being interested in doing a sequel or something where Hershel Layton himself would make an appearance (Or something along those lines) So I was just wondering if there was any news on that or if it was just another interest/idea.

Oh well....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I see.

Oh I know it's already out for a while. It's just that I've heard something about Level-5 being interested in doing a sequel or something where Hershel Layton himself would make an appearance (Or something along those lines) So I was just wondering if there was any news on that or if it was just another interest/idea.

Oh well....
all we can do is wait and see

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who knows, not sure how I'd feel about a "Professor Triton" game but I suppose it would be something to keep the series going for a bit longer I guess.

Like I said, hopefully they will at least do something for the series 10th anniversary.....

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Well, like I promised, here is a Palutena's Guidance conversation for Professor Layton. You can find it within the spoiler below. Use my own moveset I created for Layton a while back as a reference in order to understand this codec better.

Pit: Um, This guy really doesn't look like he should fighting in this tournament at all. I mean, he doesn't even look like he wants to fight.

Viridi: My my, making quick judgements I see. That man you are underestimating is the great Professor Layton himself!

Pit: Professor? What subject does he teach?

Palutena: Professor Layton is an archaeology professor at London's Gressenheller University and has made many significant discoveries within that field during his adventures. He's also well known for being an avid puzzle solver and a true gentleman.

Pit: Ok... archaeologist, puzzle-lover, and true gentleman? This guy doesn't sounds like a fighter at all.

Palutena: Well, you'd be very surprised. For one, Professor Layton is a very capable fencer; he can sometimes use a metallic pipe for some of his moves to achieve just that. He can also utilize many weapons he invented in the past like his Coin-Slot Machine Gun. It's a chargeable weapon he can pull out and fire a barrage of coins that can deal lots of damage. He can walk with it while firing the coins, so jump right away once the gun starts firing.

Pit: Sounds easy. I'll just use all of my aerial attacks on him and he'll be done for.

Palutena: Did I mention that he is always going to be one step ahead of you?

Pit: Wait, you can't be serious! Does he read minds?

Viridi: He doesn't have god powers, Pit. He's gained such a powerful intellect that he can deduce an opponent's behavior and strategy, and then he will find a way to answer that. Even as we speak, he's already planning something for your next move! That's what happens when you solve countless puzzles!

Pit: Ok, now I'm scared.

Palutena: Focus, Pit. The key strategy against Professor Layton is to stay calm and not be shocked with whatever he uses against you. Keeping a clear mind is key in order to win.

Viridi: And maybe once this battle is over, I think I'll invite Layton over to have tea with Arlon. I know Arlon would love to chat with him.

Pit: Well, considering Arlon is a true gentleman himself, I'm not surprised.

Viridi: Too bad you still have a long way of becoming a true gentleman yourself, Pit. If you were, then you would be worthy of having tea sessions with Arlon and I.

Pit: Hey, I am a good gentleman myself! I know being one means helping a lady's needs, and I do exactly that for Lady Palutena!

Palutena: There's a lot more to being a true gentleman than just answering a lady's needs, Pit. Maybe you should talk to Layton about that after your battle. I'm sure he'll give you some valuable insight. Perhaps he'll even tell you the story about how he got his signature top hat.

Pit: Good idea! I'm even curious about that hat myself.

And here's a few updates I want to make to the moveset idea I previously provided for Layton (again, refer to my moveset idea that can be seen on the first page of this thread).

Basic Animations:

Swimming: Layton moves his arms like he's doing the breast-stroke pull, while his legs drag beneath him.

About to Drown: Very similar to everyone else's, where both of his hands splash above the water with a very desperate expression on his face.

Drowning: He lowers his hat over his eyes with one of his hands, while the other arm and his legs float helplessly like other characters' drowning animation.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial: I realized I never got to provide Layton's neutral air. I think one idea could be he pulls out a camera, grabs it by the strap, and swings it around himself. The swing effect would look a lot like Marth's neutral air, except instead of the sword, it's a camera pulling it off.

Up Aerial: He claps both of his hands above him. Yeah, this might sound random, but the down aerial idea I previously provided is another random-esque move, so I see his up and down aerials being similar in this regard.

Specials:

Up Special - Custom Glider: I finally figured out custom versions that could work for this attack. The speedy version of this attack would be his Fossil Glider that he used in Azran Legacy. The Fossil Glider would work a lot like Pit and Dark Pit's up specials, except the main difference here is that the glider flies farther and doesn't render helplessness. The power version would be Layton grabbing on to a propeller device with one hand (while using the other hand to grab his hat of course) and using it to fly upwards. The propeller would look very similar to the one Don Paolo attached to the Layton mobile in Unwound Future, but it would be bit smaller. The propeller flies slightly less farther than the other two versions, and it can damage foes in a way like Link's up-special. It would be attached to a metallic pipe, and Layton releases himself from the glider like the other two versions.

I got the idea of the differing up special moves from Megaman's up special variations: they are not just limited to Rush. They can vary thanks to different gadgets: either Rush (Normal), Beat (Speed), or a fan (Power). Similarly, Layton's up special would not be limited to the Custom Glider. One could customize it to be the Custom Glider (Normal), Fossil Glider (Speed), or a propeller (Power).

Taunts:

Side Taunt: Layton puts one arm on his chin, and his elbow rests on his other arm. He then moves both of his arms outward like he's explaining something and says "Ah, wonderful!" His words for this taunt would be used in Smash World when a mii picks him up while traveling across a board.

Victory Animations:

Normal Victory Animation 2: Still stays true to my original idea, but instead, he says, "The real winner of this battle... was you!"

And finally, here's a small update for my London stage idea I offered a while back (again, you can find it on the first page of this thread).

I am aware I couldn't think of a Final Destination variant for this stage back then, but now, I now which one to use. It would be the Big Ben phase of the entire stage itself: its basic layout would look similar to the Omega version of stages like Wily's Castle, Garden of Hope, Mushroom Kingdom U, Yoshi's Wooly World, etc. I got the idea of using Big Ben for the Omega version from Mushroom Kingdom U and Castle Siege; both of these "phase-changing" stages focus on one phase of their respective stages for their FD versions. For me, I think Big Ben captures the entire essence of the London stage and its layout would be perfect for that kind of selection in mind, so that's why I decided to use it for such an instance.

I am also planning on doing some Layton codecs of several Smash Bros 4 fighters in the future, and I am even working on making trophy descriptions for most of the Layton characters at the moment (it'll take some time to finish). The trophy descriptions follow the same style that is used in both the 3DS and WiiU versions of the game (being informative and funny explaining the trophy)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Those are some very great idea's @ Erureido Erureido , if you want you can also post them over at the Professor Layton Social group. I should probably do some trophy descriptions for the cast as well. Still a bit of a shame Layton didn't get one even though it was pretty unlikely to begin with.... :/

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's another conversation I decided to do. It's been quite a while since I've last done one.

Layton and Luke talk about the Duck Hunt duo, Layton and Flora about Lucina and Layton and Emmy about the Wii Fit Trainer.

My word.... who brought in their dog into the battlefield?
Oh, I think those are the Duck Hunt Duo Professor!
The Duck Hunt Duo you say? Ah I see that there is a Duck sitting right behind that Dog.
Well technically they are not just a Duo but a Trio, be careful Professor there is also a hidden snipe shooter helping them out!
My word, a snipe shooter? So I suppose this duo.... or trio, is more dangerous than they look...
Woof Woof! Heeheeheehee!
What did it say my boy?
Do you really want me to translate that for you, Professor?
Of course.
Well okay, he said "You can kiss my hairy tail, old man!"
My.... word....
Yeah that dog is quite well known to be a very rude one!
So this is Lucina correct, the future princess of Ylisse.
That's correct Professor!, I've actually had a talk with her, she seems to come from a very dark and doomed future, she traveled back through time to warn and help her father Chrom by posing herself as the Hero King Marth for a bit.
I see, she must have quite a burden in her time.
Lucina does seem like a lady with a lot on her shoulders.....

But her swords skills are very impressive though, even though they are almost identical to Marth's, except for y'know the lack of tip on her blade so the damage she does is roughly equal throughout the whole sword.
I can see that she will make a fine fencing opponent.
.....Professor, I know how you are always so concerned in regards to my safety and all but....
What is it my dear?
Well after seeing Lucina fighting and how she learned all of this from her father, I was just wondering, could you perhaps.... teach me one day how to fence?
Hmm....
I'll ask Randall if he can make time with me to teach you a few basic skills sometime, is that alright with you my dear?
W-What? Really?

That would be great Professor! Thank you so much!
You're very welcome, my dear. I should be spending more time with you anyway now that I've retired from my "adventures" haha.
This Yoga instructor, kind of creeps me out....
Now Emmy, you know a true lady shouldn't say things like that about other people.
I know Professor, it's just.... she hardly has a face, or at least, I can barely see it.

I mean yeah, I guess we can't really talk much as our own series has had some very.... uhm.... curious looking people from time to time but still.
Well the Wii Fit Trainers aren't so much about how they look as much as how they want to help others live a more healthy life.
Well I guess they are not called a health nut for nothing....
It comes through Emmy, you and Luke could probably take up a few lessons from them.
Why's that Professor? I'm perfectly healthy!
Your enormous appetites say otherwise....
Uh....Oh....

I'll be posting this over at the Layton social group too.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm in awe of you guys' creativity~

Started testing out my Layton Mii. Watching him ping around Pyrosphere with his big hat and smiley face just made my day ahaha~

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm in awe of you guys' creativity~

Started testing out my Layton Mii. Watching him ping around Pyrosphere with his big hat and smiley face just made my day ahaha~
Thanks, I've made a Layton Mii as well and it is indeed fun to see him fighting around in the game, (If only the real Layton was playable, oh well....) I didn't just make Layton, I also made a Mii fighter out of Luke, Flora, Emmy and Clive too. :)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think we're getting any third party characters as DLC.

We've already got three guests, and if they add Layton, that defeats the purpose of Smash's prime directive of being a NINTENDO all star game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Cliff, was it really necessary to revive a thread just to say that? :ohwell:

Oh, and I just got Layton vs. Wright recently, I can't wait to play it soon, though I have Bravely Default in my way from playing it right now.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Cliff, was it really necessary to revive a thread just to say that? :ohwell:

Oh, and I just got Layton vs. Wright recently, I can't wait to play it soon, though I have Bravely Default in my way from playing it right now.
I know it sounded a little abrupt, but to be honest I didn't really pay attention to when the last post here was.

Besides, I have considered trying out one of Layton's games lately.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think we're getting any third party characters as DLC.

We've already got three guests, and if they add Layton, that defeats the purpose of Smash's prime directive of being a NINTENDO all star game.
That really goes for any third party characters really. I do agree that we most likely won't be seeing any other third parties as DLC though as they seem very proud of showing Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man together as the "Legendary three" and all to the point of even removing Snake from the games for one reason or another.

Besides, I have considered trying out one of Layton's games lately.
I hope you enjoy the games though if you do decide to play them.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, fellow Layton supporters.

I'm sad to say that I'm probably going to become less active here from here on out. I've been trying to get back into making art again which I completely neglected during the Smash Bros speculation days as well as hoping on making a platformer game at some point which I've been planning on doing for sometime now.

I'll be stepping down as a moderator as well soon and I might leave completely once we hear more of the upcoming Zelda U and any other interesting upcoming games that may be in the works. (I'll probably be fully back again if/once we hear of the next Smash Bros games which won't be for a number of years)

I'll probably have to shut down the social group (or hand it to someone else if they want to) at some point too.

Eitherway, I thought I'd let you guys know as this was my very first support thread I've made and though my original intention was to just make this thread and not much else when I first joined, I ended up staying for longer than I thought I would and even became a moderator at some point. Eitherway, I'd just like to say that I've had lots of fun speculating and talking about Professor Layton with you guys and though it's sad that he didn't end up making it into the game, it was still a fun ride.

I hope you guys enjoyed this thread as much as I enjoyed creating it. ^^

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I'm sad to say that I'm probably going to become less active here from here on out. I've been trying to get back into making art again which I completely neglected during the Smash Bros speculation days as well as hoping on making a platformer game at some point which I've been planning on doing for sometime now.

I'll be stepping down as a moderator as well soon and I might leave completely once we hear more of the upcoming Zelda U and any other interesting upcoming games that may be in the works. (I'll probably be fully back again if/once we hear of the next Smash Bros games which won't be for a number of years)

I'll probably have to shut down the social group (or hand it to someone else if they want to) at some point too.

Eitherway, I thought I'd let you guys know as this was my very first support thread I've made and though my original intention was to just make this thread and not much else when I first joined, I ended up staying for longer than I thought I would and even became a moderator at some point. Eitherway, I'd just like to say that I've had lots of fun speculating and talking about Professor Layton with you guys and though it's sad that he didn't end up making it into the game, it was still a fun ride.

farewell, this thread has been a lot of fun and dont worry i'll lead the charge for layton and mallo while you're gone

You're leaving already. :<
I was hoping that you would hear my upcoming experience with PL vs. AA, but it looks like it's not going to happen.
i'm sure someone will be willing to hear about it

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You're leaving already. :<
I was hoping that you would hear my upcoming experience with PL vs. AA, but it looks like it's not going to happen.
I'll still be around for a bit, don't worry, just not as much now. So feel free to share your experience with the game if you like. ^^

farewell, this thread has been a lot of fun and dont worry i'll lead the charge for layton and mallo while you're gone
Sure if you wish to, I'll probably also hand over the social group if you want, it's a bit of a shame I never got to finish off the conversations but oh well.... ^^

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Godspeed, my friend, godspeed.

"True gentlemen never die, they just find more puzzles to solve."

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I haven't really posted on smash boards recently, but I want to thank you. This support thread is how I discovered and fell in love with the Professor Layton series.

Also from my observations, you are one of the most polite and well-mannered Smash boards members and it's a bit saddening to see you leave for awhile. I hope you have good luck on your platformer game and art.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I haven't really posted on smash boards recently, but I want to thank you. This support thread is how I discovered and fell in love with the Professor Layton series.

Also from my observations, you are one of the most polite and well-mannered Smash boards members and it's a bit saddening to see you leave for awhile. I hope you have good luck on your platformer game and art.
Aw thank you very much, I'm very happy to hear that my thread managed to introduce people to the series, it was a very good series too.

And I'm happy to hear that too, thank you and I'll do my best. ^^

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

We'll miss you Kiwi.

Take care, and thanks... Again.

Keep in mind that you'll always be my favorite mod, sir.

*tips hat*

Last edited:
Top Bottom