• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I recently finished playing through Azran Legacy and Vs. Ace Attorney. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed both games. It's a real pity that Layton isn't (and likely won't be anytime soon) in Smash... So much great potential, and he just had to be Third Party...

On a somewhat related note...

I knew there was something familiar about that girl's voice... But it took me until now to realize she's the voice of Fiora (Xenoblade).

I kind of wish they went all out with this line and made it a reference to Fiora's "let's press on, and on, and on!" line.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Not trying to revive an old thread or anything, but am I the only one who thinks we should keep this going? Kikwi did say that, to paraphrase, that Smash 5 is going to be a couple years away. That seems like a lot of time to get more ideas, signatures, and the like on here. Don't forget that one of the main reasons Megaman got into the game is because the fans requested it ALOT. Maybe the same can happen to the good ol, top hatted professor. Please let this happen... please based Sakurai.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not trying to revive an old thread or anything, but am I the only one who thinks we should keep this going? Kikwi did say that, to paraphrase, that Smash 5 is going to be a couple years away. That seems like a lot of time to get more ideas, signatures, and the like on here. Don't forget that one of the main reasons Megaman got into the game is because the fans requested it ALOT. Maybe the same can happen to the good ol, top hatted professor. Please let this happen... please based Sakurai.
Keeping on supporting Layton can indeed help him get a long way, or at the very least keep him on Level-5's radar knowing that people are still interested in the character and series. Sadly, the fanbase has become quite smaller over time ever since it was stated that the series supposedly ended when Azran Legacy came out so it may be a bit more difficult to stay vocal for the series (Not impossible, just more difficult) That's one of the reasons I'm hoping they will revive the series in some way during it's tenth anniversary, even if it's just another spin-off title or a remake of the original trilogy. At least something to keep the series on people's radar's.

In terms of Smash though, it depends if Sakurai (or whoever would be in charge) has this high class requirement for the third parties again like he did for Smash 4 or if he will set the bar lower somewhat for them, and of course, if the Layton series will still be around by that time, or at the very least, had their last game at least a few years ago by then. But even then he might just be lucky enough to at least get a trophy....

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Yeah, There are as lot of variables in play. I've always been a dreamer though. I can always hope that it'll happen someday. Heck, I still haven't given up hope that Banjo & Kazooie could happen in Smash someday. We can always hope... Anywho, Sakurai does listen to his fans. (He just recently acknowledged the recent Ridley craze). This could certainly keep up the possibility of the good professors chances in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, this thread hasn't been that dormant.... Although I do agree that if you want this thread to keep going on, you should probably contribute and give us something to discuss about, that's highly encouraged.... ^^

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My heart is wrestling with a great moral dilemma now.

On the one hand, I would love for Ninty to buy the rights to the Professor Layton series and significantly increase his likelihood of appearing in a future Smash game.

On the other hand, I love Level-5 doing their own thing and I feel like they're okay with being independent of bigger companies to do their jobs for them.

I just want Layton in Smash. It's a tricky call right now, since he's Nintendo exclusive and has a lot of history with their recent consoles, but he can't compare with the likes of Snake and Sonic in terms of popularity or fan demand and Nintendo would need the rights to do anything with him in the game. I'm still holding out hope that Level-5 will specifically go to Ninty and request that he be in the game all the same.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My heart is wrestling with a great moral dilemma now.

On the one hand, I would love for Ninty to buy the rights to the Professor Layton series and significantly increase his likelihood of appearing in a future Smash game.

On the other hand, I love Level-5 doing their own thing and I feel like they're okay with being independent of bigger companies to do their jobs for them.

I just want Layton in Smash. It's a tricky call right now, since he's Nintendo exclusive and has a lot of history with their recent consoles, but he can't compare with the likes of Snake and Sonic in terms of popularity or fan demand and Nintendo would need the rights to do anything with him in the game. I'm still holding out hope that Level-5 will specifically go to Ninty and request that he be in the game all the same.
perhaps itd be best to hope that nintendo end up sharing the rights with level-5 that way they still make the layton games and he gets to be in smash

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nintendo used to publish the Layton series for them, nowadays Level-5 self publish the series themselves independently when they found out the series became such a success. At least this is the case in Japan, I think Nintendo still publish the series for them outside of Japan though if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nintendo used to publish the Layton series for them, nowadays Level-5 self publish the series themselves independently when they found out the series became such a success. At least this is the case in Japan, I think Nintendo still publish the series for them outside of Japan though if I recall correctly.
Fair point. I've just checked and yes they do indeed publish the games in Europe.

I think @ fogbadge fogbadge 's suggestion makes sense. Would it be possible for Level-5 to share the rights with Nintendo as far as Smash is concerned?

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I feel terrible that I haven't been involved with this thread. Layton is one of my all-time favorite franchises and would love to see him represented in Smash.
Fair point. I've just checked and yes they do indeed publish the games in Europe.

I think @ fogbadge fogbadge 's suggestion makes sense. Would it be possible for Level-5 to share the rights with Nintendo as far as Smash is concerned?
I may be wrong, but doesn't Nintendo already partially own rights to Layton since they publish them outside of Japan? I'm pretty sure if Sakurai or Nintendo wanted Layton in Smash, Level-5 would definitely let them since it would make their series even more popular.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I may be wrong, but doesn't Nintendo already partially own rights to Layton since they publish them outside of Japan? I'm pretty sure if Sakurai or Nintendo wanted Layton in Smash, Level-5 would definitely let them since it would make their series even more popular.
theres an easy way to tell who owns it, quite often on a games title screen itll tell you who the copyright belongs to

3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Professor Layton trailer idea:

>Flaming smash logo appears
>Layton's theme appears with a top hat seen in the dark, faded, and the red strap is visible, but his head isn't, the top hat then drops on Layton's head and then "Layton observes the battle!"
>Layton says "Looks like im in a tough corner Luke!"
>Luke says "Don't worry professor! Im sure you can take on these villains!"(Shows Wario, Ganondorf, Bowser, Bowser Jr.)
>Layton shows off his moveset
>At the end it shows Laytons final smash
>After the black screen(end) it then shows Professor Layton in a codec, as in he gets his own codec too, so Palutena and Layton, also, Luke, Layton, and Emmy all discuss the certain character, like Viridi, Pit, and Palutena

Professor Layton idle animations:
1.His arms cross pose with his foot tapping the ground
2.He pulls down his top hat, brushes it off with his hands and then puts it back on while he puts it back on, he looks up, smiling, while rotating the top hat right left then the center, like how people put on a hat then move it to the right/left then to the other side then the center to make it look perfect.

EDIT:

Music to my ears... Sweet, sweet music.
For some reason, its like the game themes I've always loved are remade by Smooth, that counts as Golden sun, ETC.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well its nice to be assured that there can also be third party DLC if that leak truly is the real deal. Seeing Layton confirmed would be a dream come true.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well its nice to be assured that there can also be third party DLC if that leak truly is the real deal. Seeing Layton confirmed would be a dream come true.
Even though the leak turned out fake, I hope Nintendo sees how much hype a single Third Party can create.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps so, also it seems to be the series 8th anniversary today so I wish all you Layton fans in here a happy Professor Layton 8th anniversary! ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just finished playing Azran Legacy...

The feels were indeed strong... I shed a tear for the end...

But to see everything come full circle? I was more happy than sad.

Happy that after all these years... I've been a part of this wild, puzzling adventure.

So thanks, Level-5. You've given me such a wonderful gift... Hats off to you all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can finally play vs. Phoenix Wright now. I really hope it's a great experience.
Though it may take a while to tell you about my experience as I have spoiled the first two hours of the game on YouTube. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I can finally play vs. Phoenix Wright now. I really hope it's a great experience.
Though it may take a while to tell you about my experience as I have spoiled the first two hours of the game on YouTube. :p
It's pretty good from what I remember.

I didn't find any really challenging puzzles, but the Courtroom Scenes were top-notch.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Happy that after all these years... I've been a part of this wild, puzzling adventure.

So thanks, Level-5. You've given me such a wonderful gift... Hats off to you all.
Explains the sudden love for the good man, re: your new avatar alterations. :3

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I take it you liked the final cutscene? ;)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/249067-...-major-project-fantasy-life-2-and-layton-game
-Level 5 will hold a event called Level-5 Vision 2015: The Beginning on April 7
-The event will be to announce a "next generation major cross media project"
-Yo-Kai Watch 3, along with Fantasy Life 2 and a new installment of Professor Layton will be shown
-A new collaboration title is set to be in the works, as well as new products for the Yo-kai brand
-Will be held in the Tokyo Dome City Hall from 18:00 to 19:30 JPT
HYPE!!!!

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Someone fire up the Molentary Express!! The Layton hype train is rolling out!

Oh, and it better not be that 'Layton 7' junk. Thank you. :)

Top Bottom