• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Hoots

Can Be Combative
So I'm not sure if this has been posted already, or if it deserves its own topic, but this article has always nagged me:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/02/professor-layton-joins-smash-bros

Basically, in 2008, the offical Prof. Layton Twitter started posting alusive Tweets concerning a "Grand Smash Tournament" that the professor was "invited" to. Furthermore, it mentions a "pink puffball" and "electric rat", as well as fighting a "blue robot boy, a possessed doll, and a tiny boxer!"

Now we know that Little Mac and Mega Man are in the game, and the puffball and rat are Kirby and Pikachu respectively. Did this reveal Layton and Geno in 2008? What do you all think?
This needs to be in the OP: That Twitter account was not an official account. It was done by a roleplayer who loved Professor Layton. That's it.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Done, welcome on board. ^_^

Only one more supporter left until we have 50. :p
...I don't think he's at all likely, or even necessarily deserves to be in... But I would love to see Layton playable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Just watched eternal diva.

I think I should have waited until I finished more than just two games but whatever.

That's a great movie, that's saying something cause usually video game movies are terrible.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was thinking for Layton's reveal trailer, they should have DK, Mario, Link and maybe Marth trying to open the door, which is locked by a puzzle. They all fail, naturally. Next, this theme starts playing, and a black silhouette of a person walks forward from the back of the room and does the puzzle in no time at all. the door opens, and the camera slowly pans up to layton's face. one of those thingies with the new characters pop up.

"Professor Layton Solves the Puzzle!"

Followed by gameplay footage of him, with Layton occasionally spouting out quotes, such as "A true gentleman never steps down from a good puzzle" or "Every puzzle must have an answer".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
as promised

i take it this frog is another pokemon Luke?

yeah thats the ninja pokemon greninja

ninja? i imagine he'll have quite some speed then

yeah hes fast he can make shirukens out of water

i take it he is of the water type?

he is as well as the dark type he can use sahdow sneak to teleport and make substitutes thatll distract you while he counter attacks

hmm quite the talented fellow

yeah you really should be careful professor

worry not Luke you and i a certainly not new to formidable opponents im sure ill find the solution to this puzzle soon enough

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's nice seeing those codec's again. I should make some more soon as well.

Anyway, I'll be adding this one to the OP too, fogbadge. :)

Groose

Smash Champion
1) Layton's up on RTC. Go boost his want scores as much as you can; be sure to be objective about his chance scores, though.

2) I'll be returning from my long hiatus from this thread soon; I'm just about to buy Azran Legacy, and I'm avoiding all spoilers. After that, I will return. Know that he's still on my mind (and in my sig), and I am trying to show people the ways of Layton without spoiling myself.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
1) Layton's up on RTC. Go boost his want scores as much as you can; be sure to be objective about his chance scores, though.

2) I'll be returning from my long hiatus from this thread soon; I'm just about to buy Azran Legacy, and I'm avoiding all spoilers. After that, I will return. Know that he's still on my mind (and in my sig), and I am trying to show people the ways of Layton without spoiling myself.
Thanks for letting me know, I've posted.

Sure,I hope you enjoy the game once you get to play it. ^_^

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I feel like Layton would be one of those characters that would be instantly liked by everyone who buys smash, he's got so much character.

.....unless he's cheap in the gameplay department.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
God, the realization just dawned on me a few days ago...the Layton series...it's actually over...it's over :(

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
God, the realization just dawned on me a few days ago...the Layton series...it's actually over...it's over :(
not really, only without the professor.

which is basically the same thing, so yeah. Hopefully he can get into this smash so people still remember him

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well asides from what legendofrob said. The creator did state that he wasn't ready yet to end the series. So there is still a small tiny light at the future for the series.....

I hope they will at least celebrate the series 10th anniversary when it comes to it. It's not that faraway now...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, the series itself isn't over, I think. I believe the word on the matter was that they just wouldn't star Layton anymore.

In that case, we'll probably see a Professor Luke series, or something.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I'm not sure how I'd feel about a non-spin off Layton game that doesn't have Layton as a main character.... (I know there is Mystery Room and all but still)

Guess I'm going to have to see first what they will come up with.... :T

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Maybe like Luke 10 years in the future.... but this time for real.
Well, I had that guy as an avatar for quite some time.

I'd love to see a real future Luke be the star of future games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd still like to know...
What the whole deal with that letter was at the end of Unwound/Lost Future.

I hope Level-5 are at least not going to ignore it if they do make a sequel trilogy with Luke as the main character...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd still like to know...
What the whole deal with that letter was at the end of Unwound/Lost Future.

I hope Level-5 are at least not going to ignore it if they do make a sequel trilogy with Luke as the main character...
wed all like to see that

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Layton 7 feels disheartening to me, I want more games with the good ol' Professor as a protagonist, he's awesome.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, at least it's just a spin off though.

I kinda want to see Layton be the main character in at least one more trilogy taking place after the originals before they completely retire him.... :/

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Bought and beat Azran Legacy. Loved it, loved every minute. Only made me want Layton more.

Was Layton x Ace Attorney worth getting? Well I'll be getting it regardless, but was it a good game in general?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bought and beat Azran Legacy. Loved it, loved every minute. Only made me want Layton more.

Was Layton x Ace Attorney worth getting? Well I'll be getting it regardless, but was it a good game in general?
Yeah I personally enjoyed it a lot.

It's story elements where more like the original Layton trilogy than the prequels but that's fine by me as I liked the mystery esque atmosphere that trilogy gave.

The overall gameplay is what you would expect from the Layton series but it has been a little revamped in the Court sections, but it's a pretty refreshing change over all.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Layton VS Wright is one of my favourite games in both of the represented franchises. I totally recommend it.

There is this tumblr blog called "Challenger Approaching", who are currently doing a poll for "most wanted third party character for Smash at E3 2014". It's between Professor Layton, Pac-Man, and Simon Belmont. Surprisingly, Layton is currently beating the other two (Simon Belmont has 30% of the votes, Pac-Man has 30%, Layton has 40%). The poll ends at midnight tonight (EST), so be sure to make sure he holds his spot!

https://polldaddy.com/poll/8037295/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There is this tumblr blog called "Challenger Approaching", who are currently doing a poll for "most wanted third party character for Smash at E3 2014". It's between Professor Layton, Pac-Man, and Simon Belmont. Surprisingly, Layton is currently beating the other two (Simon Belmont has 30% of the votes, Pac-Man has 30%, Layton has 40%). The poll ends at midnight tonight (EST), so be sure to make sure he holds his spot!

https://polldaddy.com/poll/8037295/
Well it's pretty sweet to see Layton in lead in that poll.

Would love to see him, but ah well... :/

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
Count me in as a supporter!

The only thing I hate about the games, though...

Is those DAMN SLIDING PUZZLES.

GOOD GOD.

...I'm kidding, but I do hate them.

LAYTON FOR SSB4!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Count me in as a supporter!

The only thing I hate about the games, though...

Is those DAMN SLIDING PUZZLES.

GOOD GOD.

...I'm kidding, but I do hate them.

LAYTON FOR SSB4!
I'm pretty sure EVERYONE hates the sliding puzzles! :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You mean the one with the Princess in Curious Village? If I recall correctly, you just need to keep pushing the smaller blocks out of the way and try to get the - shaped ones at one side. It requires a bit of repeating the same steps if I recall correctly. I actually found that one pretty fun. :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was playing Azran Legacy today and there was one where I had to make a crocodile shape but I could only move the tiles in lines of 5.

Hate those kinds of ones.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You mean the one with the Princess in Curious Village? If I recall correctly, you just need to keep pushing the smaller blocks out of the way and try to get the - shaped ones at one side. It requires a bit of repeating the same steps if I recall correctly. I actually found that one pretty fun. :p
no, the third one.

there's "Princess in the box"

and "Princess in the box 2"

and "Royale Escapade" is the last one. literally, it's the last puzzle in the game.

I can't do the third one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
no, the third one.

there's "Princess in the box"

and "Princess in the box 2"

and "Royale Escapade" is the last one. literally, it's the last puzzle in the game.

I can't do the third one.
Oh that one, well it is the final test so I guess that's understandable. The slide puzzles in Layton's challenges are usually very long. Especially the one in Last Specters Call. x_x

Well good luck with it if you are planning to solve it without any hints or guides. ^^;

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh that one, well it is the final test so I guess that's understandable. The slide puzzles in Layton's challenges are usually very long. Especially the one in Last Specters Call. x_x

Well good luck with it if you are planning to solve it without any hints or guides. ^^;
my friend did the second one for me, and it took him 40 minutes. he gave up on the third one.

I don't think I'll do that last one myself anytime soon, thank you very much.

Top Bottom