• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was thinking perhaps gressheler university would make an apt stage for layton

I can see it being done in a similar way to luigi's mansion we may only have seen a few of its room in its several appearances but im sure its plenty to work with

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You had shaking feeling of Rosalina and Mac, let's hope that feeling of Layton is true.
That would be fantastic... But Layton has such a low chance... we'll see. If they add Layton, then announce Goomba as a newcomer, I would be fine with it. XD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The fact everyone says Layton has no chance actually gives me hope because everybody thought the same about Mega Man and Rosalina.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i was thinking perhaps gressheler university would make an apt stage for layton

I can see it being done in a similar way to luigi's mansion we may only have seen a few of its room in its several appearances but im sure its plenty to work with
From what I recall we had only ever seen the main entrance hall, the corridor leading up to Layton's office and his office itself. Not sure how much that can be worked with but I suppose having the stage take place outside of the University could work as well.

Most people WANTED Mega Man, but most people I saw didn't expect him, due to Capcom's piss-poor treatment of the IP last generation.
Yeah that's true, even though I wasn't really a part of it, I did notice quite the pessimism in regards to Megaman's chances due to the poor treatment of the IP from Capcom, like cancelling that one Megaman Legends game and his lack of appearance in one of those Capcom vs games.

But really, with third parties and Sakurai's high standards to them, you can't really help but feel a little pessimistic in a lot of them. The only ones who people seemed to have felt very confident in where Sonic and Pac-Man.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I reckon Big Ben would be an awesome stage, as you could get a view of all of London below you. It could even be a vertical scrolling stage where you start off at the bottom, jumping up clockwork and what not, and then you come outside the clock.

They may not be willing to do that though, as it is a real life location, but another cool one could be a stage that takes place during a parade in Monte D'or. Like Poké Floats, except you can see Monte D'or below you.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah they would probably go for one of the original locations. I think either St. Mystere, The Molentary Express or perhaps Gressenheller University would make good stages since I kinda feel their a bit more iconic or would make for some neat looking stages but I guess that's just my opinion...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
St. Mystere would be the best stage I know of.

seeing how I only finished the first game and haven't started the next one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah they would probably go for one of the original locations. I think either St. Mystere, The Molentary Express or perhaps Gressenheller University would make good stages since I kinda feel their a bit more iconic or would make for some neat looking stages but I guess that's just my opinion...
yeah something iconic would work best

(they could always go for granny riddleton's shack)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Granny Riddleton's Shack could be pretty interesting too, I'd assume it would kinda work like the Wario Ware stage and reveal some puzzles to solve as the fight goes on?

Well it's the 8th of April where I live right now so it's the day we have all been waiting for. The Smash Bros Direct is upon us. Also it's my birthday today as well as a few others so I'd like to wish a happy birthday for those who have it today.
So happy birthday to you @ ChikoLad ChikoLad ^^

Even though it most likely won't happen, I do hope Layton gets revealed today. Or really any character I support...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Granny Riddleton's Shack could be pretty interesting too, I'd assume it would kinda work like the Wario Ware stage and reveal some puzzles to solve as the fight goes on?

Well it's the 8th of April where I live right now so it's the day we have all been waiting for. The Smash Bros Direct is upon us. Also it's my birthday today as well as a few others so I'd like to wish a happy birthday for those who have it today.
So happy birthday to you @ ChikoLad ChikoLad ^^

Even though it most likely won't happen, I do hope Layton gets revealed today. Or really any character I support...
Why thank you, and same to you! It shall be a wondrous event, to be sure! Like a magnificent dance festival!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd sort of like to see Folsense myself, although it's probably a lesser option. But it could be a really beautiful stage, at the very least, with that dark atmosphere and all the bright, colorful buildings.

Besides, I have to make some sort of reference to my namesake...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd sort of like to see Folsense myself, although it's probably a lesser option. But it could be a really beautiful stage, at the very least, with that dark atmosphere and all the bright, colorful buildings.

Besides, I have to make some sort of reference to my namesake...
I thought that your username was probably inspired by that location, especially with your Profesor Layton avatar in there.

I think Folsense could be a pretty neat stage yes, especially since that place.....
Is an area of Illusions so some neat things could be done with that, kinda like the Luigi's Mansion stage....

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've just finished watching an entire playthrough of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
Needless to say, I'm very disappointed this game has no release date for the Americas as of yet. But it was something I truly enjoyed watching and I anticipate tackling the game on my own in the future.
Something I found interesting about this game was how it made Layton seem more like a formidable man of intellect and fighter than titles the Professor has been in. Of course this may just be in contrast to how Phoenix's intellect isn't exactly up to Layton's and how Phoenix isn't quite as skilled (or experienced for that matter) as Layton when it comes to fighting (no umvc3 doesnt count). But seeing Layton through the eyes of Phoenix made him seem much more of an amazing character and now I'd love to play as him in Smash Brothers more than ever. Darn you, Capcom and Level-5.

Something that retains in mind from the soundtrack is the song Reunion, it's rather uplifting wouldn't you say?

I believe it is now fitting for me to say that I certainly hope Layton will be our star in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct. Although I find that incredibly unlikely since there's nothing to suggest that Layton will show up Release Date/Anniversary-wise anyways.

Regardless I feel that I only need to say two words to sum up my feelings for Professor Layton being in Super Smash Brothers.

pls sakurai

Ah yes, and a very happy birthday to you Kikwi-Kiwi!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've just finished watching an entire playthrough of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
Needless to say, I'm very disappointed this game has no release date for the Americas as of yet. But it was something I truly enjoyed watching and I anticipate tackling the game on my own in the future.
Something I found interesting about this game was how it made Layton seem more like a formidable man of intellect and fighter than titles the Professor has been in. Of course this may just be in contrast to how Phoenix's intellect isn't exactly up to Layton's and how Phoenix isn't quite as skilled (or experienced for that matter) as Layton when it comes to fighting (no umvc3 doesnt count). But seeing Layton through the eyes of Phoenix made him seem much more of an amazing character and now I'd love to play as him in Smash Brothers more than ever. Darn you, Capcom and Level-5.
The reason for this is because Shu Takumi, the creator of Phoenix Wright, actually wrote the story for this game. This included how Layton and Luke were portrayed (though obviously he would discuss things with Hino).

I felt the portrayal was very faithful to Layton's character, and the liberties that were taken were justified and welcome.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If he's in, that's got to be an alternate color.
Heh, the Layton colour pallete sprites I did for the OP has one of them actually based on Layton in that outfit.

They practically represent Layton default, Luke blue (blue team), Flora red (red team), Emmy green (green team), Miracle Mask plus white and a gentlemans black.

I'd prefer Layton to get this set if he where to be playable.

Ah yes, and a very happy birthday to you Kikwi-Kiwi!
Thanks Ariand. ^_^

Hmm... If Layton would be revealed I would probably listen to that song whilst looking at his screenshots, seems pretty fitting.... :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My poor little thread.... Buried deeply into almost two pages by the huge list of hype and agony... :'(

Ah well, with all the fiasco that happened yesterday. I guess I should get back to maintaining this thread a little. I wasn't expecting to see Layton but we still got a pretty surprising newcomer in Greninja. Pretty cool I suppose. At least it's another character to do codec's with I guess. I should really try to hurry up and wrap up the veteran list so I can get started on the newcomers.... :T

(Sorry for the double post by the way)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll still hold out hope, and even if he doesn't make it, we could always express the desire in a DLC petition.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For some reason, Greninja's reveal kinda made me a little more optimistic for Layton. Not by much, but it's a start I guess...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Greninja didn't really do anything for me. He's the first reveal where I was like "meh". I've already outlined my thoughts elsewhere, but the gist is that I don't mind him being in the game and he does look fun and the trailer was fun to watch, I just feel like he was underwhelming as a reveal for the big bad Smash Direct. I feel he was more suited to a secret, surprise unlockable character.

That's getting off topic though. My thoughts on Layton remain the same though, more or less.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the thing with Greninja was that he was such a surprising character reveal. Despite that everyone and their mother agreed that we would definitely get nothing else but the Brawl Pokes plus Mewtwo, Greninja ninja's in. Then there is Rosalina too who everyone suspected wouldn't make it in over the likes of Toad or Bowser jr or that there wouldn't be any Mario newcomers at all.

It's nice how these characters kinda shake up speculation a bit and that we can't so easily just sit back at the easy stuff and think that we got Sakurai figured out. He is really looking into these kind of things more deeply than originally suspected.

For some reason, it kinda feels a bit refreshing to me. It also makes me wonder how the Third Party lineup will really end up too...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think the thing with Greninja was that he was such a surprising character reveal. Despite that everyone and their mother agreed that we would definitely get nothing else but the Brawl Pokes plus Mewtwo, Greninja ninja's in. Then there is Rosalina too who everyone suspected wouldn't make it in over the likes of Toad or Bowser jr or that there wouldn't be any Mario newcomers at all.

It's nice how these characters kinda shake up speculation a bit and that we can't so easily just sit back at the easy stuff and think that we got Sakurai figured out. He is really looking into these kind of things more deeply than originally suspected.

For some reason, it kinda feels a bit refreshing to me. It also makes me wonder how the Third Party lineup will really end up too...
In that case, maybe we can expect Layton over Pac-Man from now on. :V

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really see the Namco items as much sign of Pac-Man being in.

The only Namco related stuff so far are related to Galaga and X-Rally.

The S-Flags from X-Rally were also in Star Fox Assault.

The creators of Galaga (Game Arts) did a lot of programming work for Brawl.

I'll eat my words if Pac-Man shows up, but as the Professor himself might say, sometimes there is a much more logical answer to something that seems really out there.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really see the Namco items as much sign of Pac-Man being in.

The only Namco related stuff so far are related to Galaga and X-Rally.

The S-Flags from X-Rally were also in Star Fox Assault.

The creators of Galaga (Game Arts) did a lot of programming work for Brawl.

I'll eat my words if Pac-Man shows up, but as the Professor himself might say, sometimes there is a much more logical answer to something that seems really out there.
Hmm... Where any of these items in any Pac-Man games though?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
S-Flags are apparently in a game called "Pac-Land" (never heard of it), but they show up in a lot of games made my Namco Bandai. They originally appeared in X-Rally though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I suppose the S-Flags are kind of like Namco's signature showing that they where a part of the development of this game. Interesting that they got a few things unrelated to Pac-Man in this game. Not sure if that raises his chances but interesting nonetheless.

It does make me wonder if they will actually get a playable character in there though. As for Snake, his fate hinges more on whether or not Kojima was actually serious or not in regards to his chances. I also wonder if by any chance we will end up with Sonic and Megaman as the only third party characters for these games....

So what does that mean for Layton? If Sakurai is really not giving any special consideration for any Namco characters and if Snake is really unlikely to return then perhaps there might be a small chance he could make it in if Level-5 steps in, although Sakurai could just as well choose to keep it at Sonic and Megaman.

Oh dear.... :/

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm thankful enough we have Sonic and Mega Man at all (and Rosalina, though she's first party anyway), so I will be able to move on if Layton is to be out of the question for this game. I do really feel he deserves it and could be really fun moveset wise, though, and I just love the guy, so I'd love it if he got in.

I'll be more than satisfied if he gets in. While I want Reggie and realise that he has a legit chance, Layton is more requested anyway.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah at least I got Toon Link back as well. And I'm happy to see the likes of Rosalina included too.

Even though Layton is my most wanted character of all in this game. I realize the obstacles he has to endure and that he isn't the most likely character to make it in. Especially since he's a third party character (Oh how I wish he wasn't....).

Ah well, we can't have it all I guess.... I'm just happy Sakurai spared Toon Link for me. I would at least like to see Mewtwo come back as well though if not Layton.

It would be the most hypest thing ever for me if he managed to make it in after all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Toon Link is a character I was glad to see back too, he was my second main in Brawl.

Layton and Reggie are probably the only viable character reveals that would hype me at this point (besides Snake and maybe Palutena).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, looking around, this site is starting to feel pretty depressing.

Even this thread despite that Layton hasn't been disconfirmed yet (Well not that that's too surprising or anything.)

I'm going to see if I can do something nice. Uhm, in the meantime. How about we generally talk about the series itself? Or shall we continue with the codec's?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know, looking around, this site is starting to feel pretty depressing.

Even this thread despite that Layton hasn't been disconfirmed yet (Well not that that's too surprising or anything.)

I'm going to see if I can do something nice. Uhm, in the meantime. How about we generally talk about the series itself? Or shall we continue with the codec's?
Depressing? How so? :/

I actually just had an idea for a Layton-Luke conversation about Sonic. I'm sort of drawing up ideas for Rosalina too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes, Greninja codec ASAP. :D
Maybe for unconfirmed newcomers too!
Sure, right after I'm done with the veterans, I'll do the newcomers too. Haven't really got around to doing Marth, Ike and Wolf ever since they accidentally got deleted... :T

Depressing? How so? :/

I actually just had an idea for a Layton-Luke conversation about Sonic. I'm sort of drawing up ideas for Rosalina too.
I don't know, like after the direct, people don't really seem to be as chirpy and optimistic as they used to (for good reason though, a ton of characters have been disconfirmed left and right after all) Might just be me though. :T

Oh cool, will be looking forward to it then. ^_^

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sure, right after I'm done with the veterans, I'll do the newcomers too. Haven't really got around to doing Marth, Ike and Wolf ever since they accidentally got deleted... :T

I don't know, like after the direct, people don't really seem to be as chirpy and optimistic as they used to (for good reason though, a ton of characters have been disconfirmed left and right after all) Might just be me though. :T

Oh cool, will be looking forward to it then. ^_^
Really? I've seen the opposite myself. I mean yeah, there a few naysayers here and there, but most are just angry Ridley fans and what not though. Everyone else seems to be feelin' good. Me personally, I give that Direct a 9.5/10, if I have to rate it (Greninja was just underwhelming as a finale, that was the only real downside to me). It has me pumped.

Hmm, I think I'll do Sonic now (couldn't find the talking sprites from the games, if anyone can link me, I will update with those. Brown-ish orange is Layton, Blue is Luke):

"My word! This young lad doesn't stay in one place for very long at all!"

"Ay?...Oh, could it be- OH, it really is!"

"Hmm? Something the matter, my boy?"

"Oh, umm, it's nothing Professor! It's just...I can't believe your facing off against THE Sonic the Hedgehog!"

"Sonic the Hedgehog? I must say, the juxtaposition in that name certainly intrigues me. I take it you must know a thing or two about him, Luke?"

"Right you are Professor! Sonic is a blue hedgehog that can move even faster than the speed of sound! That's faster than an airplane taking off!
He's also commonly known to curl into a ball and ram right through his enemies! Don't worry though, he's a nice chap, and he's always saving the day from Dr. Eggman's plans for world domination. He even repaired the planet when it broke into pieces once! He's also THE most wanted character for a Super Smash Bros game, ever! Isn't that cool!?"

"My my, that's quite the reputation he has!"

"Mmhmm! He's also a former rival of Mario, but nowadays, they are good friends who even compete in the Olympics together!"

"It seems like crossing paths with this lad is quite the honour...although, Luke, if you don't mind me asking...how do you know so much about Sonic?"

"Oh-ho, well, ah, that is...well, when I was little, I was a huge fan of his. I used to watch all of the cartoons and I even played one or two of the video games on occasion! He's a huge inspiration to me...oh, but not as much as you are, Professor!"

"Haha, it's quite alright, my boy! I must say though, I can certainly see the influence he's had on you. You've always loved running around and being adventurous, haven't you? ...Even if it has nearly caused me a heart attack or two, whether I nearly lose you in the London streets, or in Azran ruins..."

"Heehee, I suppose you're right! But at least I have the world's #1 gentleman to keep me in check, ay?"

"Haha, I don't know about being #1, but if I have proven myself worthy to you, than I suppose I'm doing my job right!"

"That's the spirit! Now go show him what you're made of!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom