• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've put the link in the OP so they are easy to find. Here.

Anyway, nice first one sonicbrawler. I've included it to the OP. ^^

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was watching a playthrough of Layton vs Ace Attorney, and I wondered if there would be any reference to that game if Layton was in smash.

It really is a curious question.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was watching a playthrough of Layton vs Ace Attorney, and I wondered if there would be any reference to that game if Layton was in smash.

It really is a curious question.
Well who knows I guess. If they want to recycle pre made models again for the Trophies, I guess I can see them using the models of Inspector Chelmey and Barton from that game. Seeing as how Capcom is also a bit involved, perhaps we might also hear a song or two (Probably not any Ace Attorney music, but perhaps at least one of the Professor Layton music or any of the original soundtrack from that game.)

I don't know really, they did reference one of Megaman's moves from Marvel vs Capcom so I guess it's probably not too out of the question to get a thing or two from the Ace Attorney crossover, so long as it's still Layton related I guess....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd love to see the arrangement of "About Town" from PLvsAA used as a track if Layton is in. As well as the first version of Layton's theme in the game.

I've actually been listening to the soundtrack for that game for the past while today, heheh.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Labryntia might make a cool stage (think castle siege) but I doubt it would happen.

maybe the one in the first game that I already forget what it's called would be a good one too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Labryntia might make a cool stage (think castle siege) but I doubt it would happen.

maybe the one in the first game that I already forget what it's called would be a good one too.
I guess Labyrinthia would make a pretty interesting stage, but I guess for now I think Layton could do with a stage that is mostly about his series.

St. Mystere? I think it would make a pretty good stage yeah.
Support

We need some more gentlemen in Smash
We could indeed.

I'll add you to the supporters. ^_^

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Just purchased Azran Legacy yesterday, was so curious to buy it. I don't regret it now, because I'm really loving it so far.
Azran Legacy was pretty good, but it has NOTHING on Unwound Future. The series is my personal favorite of all time (that's really saying something) and its plot is so deep... so so deep... the Professor Layton games and Mother 3 have been the only games that have truly made me tear up. But, anyway, I'd LOVE to see Layton, but it doesn't seem likely in this iteration of Smash. Makes me wish that there was some more slots for third-parties, because there are so many possibilities for characters to be included... hopefully, by the next Smash Bros., the roster can be significantly larger since the limitations of the 3DS have sort of "handicapped" the Wii U version's roster. Of course, there's nothing wrong with the 3DS version, so don't go flaming on me!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
the limitations of the 3DS have sort of "handicapped" the Wii U version's roster. Of course, there's nothing wrong with the 3DS version, so don't go flaming on me!
I'll just have to stop you here.

It's not the limitations of the 3DS that is handicapping the roster, if anything, it's the time they use to make the 3DS version that handicaps the roster on the Wii U.

Also this isn't flaming, it's just correcting you for future use so you don't embarrass yourself.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So we can finally post Miiverse screenshots again using image URLs...

So here is the only acceptable alt costume for Layton:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I'll just have to stop you here.

It's not the limitations of the 3DS that is handicapping the roster, if anything, it's the time they use to make the 3DS version that handicaps the roster on the Wii U.

Also this isn't flaming, it's just correcting you for future use so you don't embarrass yourself.
haha, I didn't take that as a hate comment at all :p but if it were the time of the development of the 3DS version, it wouldn't make sense of Sakurai's comment on "putting as many characters as they can", and if that's true, why not put the release date further to drive out its full potential? Or announce that DLC characters? This is just me thinking out loud right now...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
haha, I didn't take that as a hate comment at all :p but if it were the time of the development of the 3DS version, it wouldn't make sense of Sakurai's comment on "putting as many characters as they can", and if that's true, why not put the release date further to drive out its full potential? Or announce that DLC characters? This is just me thinking out loud right now...
Well, we don't even know how big the roster is going to be, so...

And I don't think pushing back the deadline is a good idea considering the state of the Wii U.

Also this is getting off topic, so Layton.

He's a fine gentleman.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I heard that Sakurai mainly wants to focus on balance this time around and that he wasn't really planning to include that many new characters in the first place, or something along those lines. So I'm not sure if the 3DS version really has that much to do with why we will be getting less new characters compared to Brawl. Then there is also the question of how many veterans won't be returning and all.

Anyway in terms of the amount of third party characters we could see this time around, I guess I can see us having 4 third party characters maximum. Assuming Snake returns of course, if he doesn't than we might either be sticking with 2 or 3... maaaybe 4 if we are lucky.....

So where does Layton fit in... I'm not sure, it depends on Level-5 if they actually want him in the games and Sakurai if he is willing to have him join the battle.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai said that there won't be as many newcomers as there were in Brawl, but that they are aiming to avoid veteran cuts, and to balance the roster in terms of play styles. Regarding 3DS limitations, he said that it would limit some characters, but this did not mean the roster as a whole. I think he just meant that some characters will have to be adjusted to require less processing power to have in play (such as halving Olimar's Pikmin count).

...*hasn't really got anything Layton related to add to that statement, just clearing that up*

...I still need to do that Rosalina codec.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
So I'm not sure if this has been posted already, or if it deserves its own topic, but this article has always nagged me:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/02/professor-layton-joins-smash-bros

Basically, in 2008, the offical Prof. Layton Twitter started posting alusive Tweets concerning a "Grand Smash Tournament" that the professor was "invited" to. Furthermore, it mentions a "pink puffball" and "electric rat", as well as fighting a "blue robot boy, a possessed doll, and a tiny boxer!"

Now we know that Little Mac and Mega Man are in the game, and the puffball and rat are Kirby and Pikachu respectively. Did this reveal Layton and Geno in 2008? What do you all think?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Anything Layton-Smash related has probably been seen before, that's just a guy who was in charge in Layton's twitter.

Also, I'm around the Puzzle 009 in Azran Legacy, took me real long to figure out the quadrant lock. @_@

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I'm not sure if this has been posted already, or if it deserves its own topic, but this article has always nagged me:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/07/02/professor-layton-joins-smash-bros

Basically, in 2008, the offical Prof. Layton Twitter started posting alusive Tweets concerning a "Grand Smash Tournament" that the professor was "invited" to. Furthermore, it mentions a "pink puffball" and "electric rat", as well as fighting a "blue robot boy, a possessed doll, and a tiny boxer!"

Now we know that Little Mac and Mega Man are in the game, and the puffball and rat are Kirby and Pikachu respectively. Did this reveal Layton and Geno in 2008? What do you all think?
Wait, this was after Brawl came out...

IF HE ISN'T IN THE GAME, THEN THIS WAS NOT AN OK THING TO DO.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wait, this was after Brawl came out...

IF HE ISN'T IN THE GAME, THEN THIS WAS NOT AN OK THING TO DO.
Oh, it was just a bit of fun on their parts. I doubt they intended anyone to really believe Layton was in Smash.

Besides, doesn't Layton leave in disgust in the end? That would be implying Layton was not going to be in Smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, it was just a bit of fun on their parts. I doubt they intended anyone to really believe Layton was in Smash.

Besides, doesn't Layton leave in disgust in the end? That would be implying Layton was not going to be in Smash.
I was being sort of sarcastic. I still don't think it's OK for an official Twitter to tease like that when it's well known he's a highly requested character, and to throw in references to other requested characters to boot, but my tone is sarcastic. I'm not angry, though I would rather they had never done this. Or at the least, clearly say it was a joke when all was said and done. It'd be different if this was just some guy on a random website, but this is the official Twitter that Nintendo set up. Unless Layton really does to be a planned newcomer, they shouldn't have teased him like that. I wouldn't have minded if it was an April Fools Day joke, but it didn't happen on April Fools Day.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They where just joking around, just like that other one ONM did a month or two ago.

Besides, that post was made around Brawl's release and Smash 4 wasn't even in the planning stages during that time, I'm not even sure if Kid Icarus Uprising was in development during that time, probably in the planning stages though...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Just finished diabolical box today.

It was great. With every game I play I want him in more!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just finished diabolical box today.

It was great. With every game I play I want him in more!
That's great to hear, I hope you enjoy Unwound Future too then whenever you get to play it as it's the biggest highlight of the original trilogy (or even the series as a whole for many). :)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Has anyone ever discussed the different puzzles his moveset could include?

there's such a variety of puzzles that anything could be used.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think puzzles would be better suited for a Final Smash, perhaps. A giant sliding puzzle Final Smash could be rather amusing. I find it hard to imagine a way to really incorporate puzzles into his regular move set without being ridiculous, especially since Layton has a ton of other, non-puzzle-based abilities he could use for a move set.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey, so I want thank you guys here at the Professor Layton Thread. I was looking through the all the character threads as a guest a few month back, and for some reason this thread caught my eye. I didn't even know about the Layton games existence beforehand but after reading through this thread, I instantly fell in love with Layton's character and the entire series. I got and finished Curious Village a few weeks back and absolutely loved it, and now he's in my top 3 of my most wanted newcomers. Also I just got Diabolical Box and Unwound Future Today and I love it already. I don't know how much of a chance Layton has for SSB4, but thank you guys for introducing me to this wonderful series.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hey, so I want thank you guys here at the Professor Layton Thread. I was looking through the all the character threads as a guest a few month back, and for some reason this thread caught my eye. I didn't even know about the Layton games existence beforehand but after reading through this thread, I instantly fell in love with Layton's character and the entire series. I got and finished Curious Village a few weeks back and absolutely loved it, and now he's in my top 3 of my most wanted newcomers. Also I just got Diabolical Box and Unwound Future Today and I love it already. I don't know how much of a chance Layton has for SSB4, but thank you guys for introducing me to this wonderful series.
something similar happened to me, except I wasn't a guest when it happened! :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey I'm very happy to hear that this thread introduced and got you into the Professor Layton series! I hope you enjoy the other games too. I'll add you to the list of supporters if you like. :)

Top Bottom