• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, sorry about that, I guess I should have put a spoiler warning up there. I'll fix that. ^^

Yeah the puzzles are indeed a lot easier compared to the ones in the Professor Layton series, however, I would still kinda recommend starting off with Curious Village, even if the puzzles are probably the most difficult in that game. I think it is a pretty good starting point in terms of the basics of the series though.

Also, in the crossover, puzzle barriers seem to be removed and the picarat count seems to be more or less useless in this game as you unlock everything straight away as soon as you finish the main story unlike in the Layton games where you could unlock further features in the game depending on how many picarats you have collected.

I guess like you said, they did that so that they wouldn't turn off those who came from the Ace Attorney fandom.
Wait, Picarats don't matter?

Well that's good, because I missed out on some in the first trial (didn't realise Picarats were applied to Phoenix's trials until the screen came up).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've been watching some of the gameplay, it's led me to come to a realization.
If Layton did fight Phoenix, Layton would probably win. This is because Phoenix is a baker. Nothing more, nothing less.

Damn you Nintendo of America / Capcom WHERE IS NA'S RELEASE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So there is this one part in the crossover that made me think "Layton HAS to be in Smash"...(Chapter 5 spoilers ahead)

When Layton saves Maya from the Shades, and is confronting them with a bloody STICK, he says "Now...who's up first?!"

"IT'S OUT OF CHARACTER FOR LAYTON TO FIGHT" my butt. :I

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
People seem to confuse Layton's calm peaceful behavior for that of a pacifist. He's just more likely to try to outthink an opponent and avoid direct confrontation. Generally a pacifist will run or do whatever they can to avoid fighting even when it might be necessary. In self-defense or when in a position, Layton would fight back or at least defend himself and has been shown to do so.

What I think makes people misunderstand his character is that we are used to in video games that fighting is generally the first and only response to a problem. While in Layton's case it's usually the last resort to a problem.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh by looking back at the game.... uhm... major spoilers I guess if you haven't beaten or played Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright or the first three Layton games yet...

This crossover seems to be paying a huge homage to the original Professor Layton trilogy.

Besides the obvious fact that there was something up with the whole town which was pretty much a running theme of the original Layton trilogy, it seems to include some parts of the original Layton trilogy and put it all in one.

* It's an artificial-town that the father build for the sake of his daughter. (Curious Village)
* Everything that went on in said town was more or less an illusion to trick everyone's mind. (Elysian Box)
* Layton and Luke sort of "traveled through time" but in reality where just transported to a different location. (Unwound/Lost Future)

Heh, I never actually noticed this until I saw it mentioned somewhere else on the internet.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People seem to confuse Layton's calm peaceful behavior for that of a pacifist. He's just more likely to try to outthink an opponent and avoid direct confrontation. Generally a pacifist will run or do whatever they can to avoid fighting even when it might be necessary. In self-defense or when in a position, Layton would fight back or at least defend himself and has been shown to do so.

What I think makes people misunderstand his character is that we are used to in video games that fighting is generally the first and only response to a problem. While in Layton's case it's usually the last resort to a problem.
I think the most obvious thing that people seem to miss is his fencing skills. Forgetting that it could be implemented into his moveset, the fact he practiced it with his best friend in secondary school is proof that he does find some thrill in physical confrontation. Because in modern culture, fencing has no direct and obvious usefulness like say, boxing or martial arts, and we don't live in an age where people carry melee weapons at the ready, even if they are skilled at using them.

I know that fencing isn't the most dangerous of combat sports, since the weapons used are blunt and bendy, but the thrill of it comes with pretending it's real, and the rush of having to be constantly ready to react. When you win a fencing match, you're having that feeling of "if this was a real sword, I would have pierced this guy's heart".

Also, when Layton uses a stick as a weapon in this latest game, he made sure to sharpen it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Since I think Pac-Man would be E3 material, wouldn't it be the perfect time to reveal Layton in this direct?
Professor Layton? My most wanted character? Revealed on my birthday?

That sounds waaay too good to be true.... Even though we had the Ace Attorney Crossover not too long ago, but then again, we also got a bunch of GBA games even less long ago so whatever newcomer might be related to that....

Eh I don't know, but I would certainly be over the moon if they revealed Layton on that Direct. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Professor Layton? My most wanted character? Revealed on my birthday?

That sounds waaay too good to be true.... Even though we had the Ace Attorney Crossover not too long ago, but then again, we also got a bunch of GBA games even less long ago so whatever newcomer might be related to that....

Eh I don't know, but I would certainly be over the moon if they revealed Layton on that Direct. :)
You're the third other person besides me that I've seen who's birthday is on that day! :p

It MUST mean a Layton reveal...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gosh seeing Layton revealed on that Direct would be the best birthday present ever but I can't really see Sakurai being that generous.... Especially since he doesn't even know us.

I hope he reveals at least one newcomer I support, even if it's not Layton..... Or at the very least Mewtwo would be nice.... :c

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, the release of Azran Legacy in the US and Layton VS Wright in the UK both being pretty recent means that Layton is fresh in the minds of Nintendo fans around the world. I think this would be perfect timing for a Layton reveal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, the release of Azran Legacy in the US and Layton VS Wright in the UK both being pretty recent means that Layton is fresh in the minds of Nintendo fans around the world. I think this would be perfect timing for a Layton reveal.
Yeah you're right, it certainly would. It just feels like the perfect time to reveal Layton on that day if he really is in the game. But I guess I'd better not hold my breath for that....

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I agree..it won't happen but man would it be a cool move if they revealed him

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Gosh seeing Layton revealed on that Direct would be the best birthday present ever but I can't really see Sakurai being that generous.... Especially since he doesn't even know us.

I hope he reveals at least one newcomer I support, even if it's not Layton..... Or at the very least Mewtwo would be nice.... :c
That would be a good Birthday present... come on Sakurai!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My gosh if by some miracle Layton was confirmed on that Direct, I would be just like this kid.
I know it's overused, but I'd have all the passion of Mr. Bison here:

With the dancing of these guys!

(What I'd actually look like.)

Attachments

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Prof. Layton gets confirmed on Tuesday's direct, I'll try my hand at making a cup of tea. :awesome:

It sounds like a pipe-dream though. We'll see.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Prof. Layton gets confirmed on Tuesday's direct, I'll try my hand at making a cup of tea. :awesome:

It sounds like a pipe-dream though. We'll see.
Yeah him getting revealed on that day would be pretty unlikely, whatever newcomer they would reveal would probably be more related to those Virtual Console GBA games they launched than the two new Layton games that where released in the west last month.

But yeah, it sure would be great if he was actually revealed though. ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yeah him getting revealed on that day would be pretty unlikely, whatever newcomer they would reveal would probably be more related to those Virtual Console GBA games they launched than the two new Layton games that where released in the west last month.

But yeah, it sure would be great if he was actually revealed though. ^^
If anything, I'd like news on PLVS.AA for the US, but it's a Smash Direct.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If anything, I'd like news on PLVS.AA for the US, but it's a Smash Direct.
Yeah as it's a Smash focused direct, I'm afraid you guys will probably not be hearing much about the Ace Attorney crossover for a little while longer (Unless Capcom or Level-5 decide to announce a release confirmation on their own time).

I hope you guys get to play that game soon though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yeah as it's a Smash focused direct, I'm afraid you guys will probably not be hearing much about the Ace Attorney crossover for a little while longer (Unless Capcom or Level-5 decide to announce a release confirmation on their own time).

I hope you guys get to play that game soon though.
At least they WILL release it. I still have to play PL6 though, so maybe it's for the best.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I got to the end of Chapter 8 in the Layton and Wright crossover, and...

My god...

Layton HAS to be in this game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I got to the end of Chapter 8 in the Layton and Wright crossover, and...

My god...

Layton HAS to be in this game.
What was chapter 8 about again? Was it the part...

Where Layton saved Maya right? Or was it the bit at the very end?

Sorry, my memory is a little foggy for some reason... ^^

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What was chapter 8 about again? Was it the part...

Where Layton saved Maya right? Or was it the bit at the very end?

Sorry, my memory is a little foggy for some reason... ^^
No, it was the part where he climbs the Storyteller's Tower, and takes on those robotic knights. Dem acrobatic moves.

Also, I finished the game.

I should have known letting Takumi and Hino work together on a game would result in one of the most convoluted plots I've ever seen.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No, it was the part where he climbs the Storyteller's Tower, and takes on those robotic knights. Dem acrobatic moves.

Also, I finished the game.

I should have known letting Takumi and Hino work together on a game would result in one of the most convoluted plots I've ever seen.
Ah yeah the latter. Yeah that was pretty epic and just shows what Layton is really capable of. :)

Also congrats on finishing the game.

Eh, even if it's probably unlikely, I hope Level-5 continues to make more Professor Layton games sometime in the future..... :T

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ah yeah the latter. Yeah that was pretty epic and just shows what Layton is really capable of. :)

Also congrats on finishing the game.

Eh, even if it's probably unlikely, I hope Level-5 continues to make more Professor Layton games sometime in the future..... :T
If I'm not mistaken, PLvsAA will be receiving story based DLC. So there is that to look forward to, at least. Level 5 have also expressed interest in bringing Layton to Wii U in some form.

I at least have Azran Legacy to complete. As well as "Layton Bros.: Mystery Room".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I'm not mistaken, PLvsAA will be receiving story based DLC. So there is that to look forward to, at least. Level 5 have also expressed interest in bringing Layton to Wii U in some form.

I at least have Azran Legacy to complete. As well as "Layton Bros.: Mystery Room".
Aren't those just little side stuff where Layton and Wright and the characters that appeared in the game are doing random things and solve a puzzle and all?

Yeah I know they where interested in a Wii U Layton game and they expressed that they weren't ready yet to end the series and how it would be something completely different to what we are used to and then there is Layton 7. But I'm still not quite sure...

Eh guess we will have to wait it out and see I suppose...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Aren't those just little side stuff where Layton and Wright and the characters that appeared in the game are doing random things and solve a puzzle and all?

Yeah I know they where interested in a Wii U Layton game and they expressed that they weren't ready yet to end the series and how it would be something completely different to what we are used to and then there is Layton 7. But I'm still not quite sure...

Eh guess we will have to wait it out and see I suppose...
I don't know, but it's better than nothing. One of my favourite things about crossovers is the character interactions, and if PLvsAA is planning to deliver more, I'm all for it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't know, but it's better than nothing. One of my favourite things about crossovers is the character interactions, and if PLvsAA is planning to deliver more, I'm all for it.
Yeah I guess so, the thing is though, from what I've heard and seen. It will just feature the characters who appeared in the main game itself.

So we are not going to see the likes of Flora, Pearl, Emmy, Franziska, Gumshoe and Don Paolo etc. But moreso the same characters that we already seen interacting in the main game itself.

Although the only non-Layton, Luke, Phoenix and Maya characters we can still see though are Inspector Chelmey, Barton and Edgeworth so I guess we still got them to look forward to.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I have that feeling again, this time its for Layton.

My gut was right these past two times. Rosalina and Little Mac.

Calling it now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have that feeling again, this time its for Layton.

My gut was right these past two times. Rosalina and Little Mac.

Calling it now.
"Aha! Is that your famous intuition at work again?"

Sorry couldn't resist.

Well here's hoping, even though I'm not as confident as some of you are. ^^;

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Except that I know it probably doesn't have a chance at all happening, but I can't shake the feeling it will.

Just like the last couple times.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Except that I know it probably doesn't have a chance at all happening, but I can't shake the feeling it will.

Just like the last couple times.
I'm not sure whether I should get excited for the possibility of one of my favorite characters getting in, or be disappointed that Sakurai doesn't have as high of standards as I thought he did...

Top Bottom