• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Midna for Brawl thread. (Debate the Wolf here!)

Midna In Brawl?

• Only Midna in Brawl!

Votes: 277 30.8%
  • Midna and Wolflink in Brawl!

Votes: 398 44.3%
  • I don't want Midna in there, period!

Votes: 89 9.9%
  • Just give me Wolflink sans Midna!

Votes: 30 3.3%
  • I really couldn't care less.

Votes: 105 11.7%

• Total voters

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
think of how they would actually make that work, can you see midna sprinting across the screen with her frail legs? NO

thats why she drafted link with her...

See, I believe I recall that characters like Kirby and Meta-Knight don't even have legs to begin with. They have shoes. Yet they fare all right.

So yeah I can.

But she'd probably take the Mewtwo way out and float.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I don't think people realize that it's actually in the best interests of the character to be paired with Wolf Link. You see, Wolf Link is fast, while whenever Midna is seperated from him, she floats around. If Midna rides Wolf Link, she's likely to have a quick, powerful moveset, be a fast-faller, and have more varied attacks. If she's alone, she's likely to be like Mewtwo: Light, slow-falling, slow, powerful, but painfully predictable and an all around low-tier character. I like Midna a lot, and I want her to be a character that I can actually play in tournaments, not just a laughable character I use in low-tier tournaments for fun.

... You guys must really hate the character if you want her to be alone.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Wait, Black Light. I think I've noticed a contradiction in your arguement.

1. You think Midna could easily make a moveset on her own and a good portion of a Wolf Link and Midna combo, yet you think Midna doesn't deserve her own character spot and doesn't have enough magic potential and other abilities to constitute a self sufficient character.

2. You say, again, Midna's abilities aren't thoroughly explored and you even give examples, so you'd have to make up moves, yet you think
Midna would deserve her own character if she could transform between imp and princess form, even though princess form never did squat

What exactly are you argueing? Also, I agree with Destruction on just about everything, I believe.

Oh, and also,
I don't think that was a warlock punch. As a matter of fact, unless my memory completely fails me, I'm positive it isn't. He just stabs the sage with his own sword, doesn't he

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
The Official Midna for Brawl [Contest Within!]

Because Midna isn't midna and link...

* *Contest Information* *
Yes sirrr~ie! We are havin' our selves a little move list round up no ya'll here!

Hahaha, but seriously. The Official Midna Thread is hosting the boards first moveset contest. The prize? A place in moveset history in the opening post of the thread, a place in history, and of course, a place in all of our hearts.

The rules are simple just post a full moveset for Midna in the thread, in the next few months myself and a handful of judges will choose the moveset we think is the best. Scores will be calculated like using the below system.

Scoring:

Completeness 30 pts - a move for each of the attacks including, but not limited to the all of the basic attacks you'd find in SSBM. Having at least one move for the 17 basic attacks will earn you 30 points.

Detail 15 pts - how much effort you put into explaining attack animations, damage, knockback, etc. Things like range, speed and lag are a must for full points.

Plausibility 15 pts - Would the character be doing this move? This is here to make sure you don't have mind changing into Samus or anything crazy, but also so you try to tie her attacks in with things you'd find in the game. Also note the more you describe a move the easier it will be to peg it.

Originality 15 pts - Just how original is the moveset? How wacky are your ideas? We want to reward originality so this is how we are doing it, but also keep your plausibility score in mind...

Midna Adherence 15 pts - I'm giving you 15 free points basically here. Just make sure your Move list is for Midna and you'll be fine.

Spelling & Grammar 5 pts - while this isn't a writing prompt we are still posting on a forum right! Try to keep the spelling and stuff legible.

Format 5 pts - Make sure you keep your formatting consistent... or else.

Prizes:

1st - 3rd
-Will get their move list published on the first page. As well as fame fortune and glory for all the world to see.

-All people who enter will have a link to their move list posted on the first page. A little less glory basically.

Well Guys the card has been dealt. The figurative die cast, all that's left is for you to begin. Can't wait to see what you guys produce!

The old minda (now the Wolflink and Minda) thread shouldn't really be about arguing whether or not she gets a wolf, now there's no reason it should be.

Midna's amazing, most people who've played through the game can agree to that. Those of us who were fortunate enough to have of played the game found that underneath the bully lied a very cool very 3 dimensional character; A character that deserves to shine alone. I could take for pages about how neat minda is post up my own move sets etc. but I think you guys could do a much better job than I. So lets start the discussing!

Yay.

Stryks

Smash Hero
yeah so if a character floats he or she will be a low tier like mewtwo... right... guessin all swordsmen will be top tier like marth then? the guys makin the game learn from their mistakes, they wont make that one again, besides midna is fast, maybe she'll be a little light weighted, but if u check peach is light weighted, and we all know how good she is...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You saved me the trouble, Stryks. Thank you.

Oh my goodness, Mewtwo floats. If Midna floats, she'll be bottom tier! Gracious me, someone save us!

Please... besides, Mewtwo and Midna are completely different and you think that developers intentionally program tiers? I hope not. All fighters are tried to be made equal, but it is basically impossible to create a perfectaly even fighter, especially with a game such as Smash.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Besides, tiers change from game to game. Ness used to be God tier in 64, but now he's, what, mid tier? Link was omnicrap tier, but now he's mid tier too. Notice how the best and the worst of 64 all seemed to even out in Melee? It's because developers learn what works and what doesn't. I'd be willing to bet floaters would wind up actually being pretty good in Brawl because the developers don't want them to suck again.

alpha n00b

Smash Ace
i was thinking, midna COULD be in brawl, just not as a playable char.... but as the new sandbag! :laugh: , that would be sweet!

Black/Light

Smash Master
Wait, Black Light. I think I've noticed a contradiction in your arguement.
OK, lets look (^_^)

1. You think Midna could easily make a moveset on her own and a good portion of a Wolf Link and Midna combo, yet you think Midna doesn't deserve her own character spot and doesn't have enough magic potential and other abilities to constitute a self sufficient character.
NO, I never said "she doesn't deserve her own character spot". I said it would be best to team her up with Wolf Link because. . .
A) She is best known for being with him and

B) It would make her a all around better and more unique character like Paranoid_Android said. . .
I don't think people realize that it's actually in the best interests of the character to be paired with Wolf Link. You see, Wolf Link is fast, while whenever Midna is seperated from him, she floats around. If Midna rides Wolf Link, she's likely to have a quick, powerful moveset, be a fast-faller, and have more varied attacks. If she's alone, she's likely to be like Mewtwo: Light, slow-falling, slow, powerful, but painfully predictable and an all around low-tier character. I like Midna a lot, and I want her to be a character that I can actually play in tournaments, not just a laughable character I use in low-tier tournaments for fun.
2. You say, again, Midna's abilities aren't thoroughly explored and you even give examples, so you'd have to make up moves, yet you think
Midna would deserve her own character if she could transform between imp and princess form, even though princess form never did squat
I mean't that Midna AND Wolf Link could be their own non-Link transformation character (which is what I originally wanted, for them to be a Link transformation) and be able to
transform into Midna's true form. And I still stand by the true form being a character. . . it's STILL MIDNA so she did do something. . .

What exactly are you argueing? Also, I agree with Destruction on just about everything, I believe.
That it would be best to put her with Wolf Link. It does make a more origanal character team and gives her an even more unique move-set. Also, it keeps her from being a " float-slowly-well-being-super-light ( AKA the crapy M2 stats) " character. It gives her speed and makes her heavyer. . .along with the fact that thats how she is best known.

besides midna is fast
Could you remind me of a fast float that she did because the fastest float I saw was
the one where she floated up to Zedla
. Beside that (not very fast float) she didn't realy float too fast.
. . . And M2 WAS fast in his game yet we see that they had to toss that out to give him power (or w/e other stat).

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
You saved me the trouble, Stryks. Thank you.

Oh my goodness, Mewtwo floats. If Midna floats, she'll be bottom tier! Gracious me, someone save us!

Please... besides, Mewtwo and Midna are completely different and you think that developers intentionally program tiers? I hope not. All fighters are tried to be made equal, but it is basically impossible to create a perfectaly even fighter, especially with a game such as Smash.
No, they clearly didn't put much consideration into balance in Melee or there wouldn't be 7 or so good characters and 15 that are rarely seen in tournaments. What I'm saying is that Midna is slow. She never moves fast in TP, and is obviously a lightweight. Seeing as she would have no physical attacks because physically, she's got stubs for arms and legs, then she would end up much like Mewtwo: Relying on magic to do her bidding (yes, that hand counts). So you're saying that a slow, floaty character whose attacks are entirely magic based is going to be high tier? Good one. You know that if she were with Wolf Link, she would undoubtedly be a mid-weight, would run very quickly across the stage, and would more than likely not only have her own powerful projectiles and magical abilities, but Link's quick feral thrashes. I'm looking at it from the logical perspective: Midna + Link > Midna.

As to "So all sword users will be good like Marth?". That's a stupid statement, as you should have said "All sword users with a long-ranged tipper that does excellent damage and is often centered as his playstyle will be good like Marth?". Well, yes. There's a reason every character is good. Consider for a moment: would Fox be good if he were slow and floaty? Would Shiek? Most of the unused characters are unused because of speed or weight issues.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Most of the unused characters are unused because of speed or weight issues.
He does have a point here...

Bowser, Mewtwo, and a couple others were all royally screwed because they got a bad combination of both.

I want Midna to be a character I can make my main and actually stand a chance of winning. Giving her Wolf Link would make her faster and heavier, which solves the ONE problem Solo Midna has.

Black/Light

Smash Master
He does have a point here...

Bowser, Mewtwo, and a couple others were all royally screwed because they got a bad combination of both.

I want Midna to be a character I can make my main and actually stand a chance of winning. Giving her Wolf Link would make her faster and heavier, which solves the ONE problem Solo Midna has.
To add to that, it really does make her more unique. Would Midna be more unique by her self, floating around like M2
*gives M2 the evil eye look >.>*
using nothing but her hair hand and magic? Midna on wolf link (the first ever fully 4 legged character and first team of their kind) using a few Wolf Link and Wolf Link/ Midna combu attacks well still having Midna hold the major amount of attacks (as in, she uses her magic) would be much more interesting and unique from where I stand.

kaid

Smash Master
Wow. Once again, I make a thread ahead of the rush. First "Wii Sports Guy" which became the Mii character topic, now the Midna topic takes off.

And my opinion? Midna without Wolf Link is like Kazooie without Banjo. Sure, Kazooie does 90% of all the work, has all the abilities, and could generally kick Gruntilda's *** all on her own, but it wouldn't be RIGHT to have Kazooie or Midna by themselves in a game like smash bros.

As for the Smash move, Twili form. 'Nuff said.

Backthrow would be the wresling manuver Link learns at the beginning of the game
but with Midna doing it, like against Beast Gannon.
This would be a real nice kill move near the edge, because it would have a REAL low trajectory.

Downtilt Dig, downsmash spin attack, A attack, dash, and Ftilt would all be wolflink, as well as perhaps Backair. This leaves Midna with PLENTY of moves.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Even I the great LessThanThree am human, and thus I too make mistakes, just like you.
Yes we all make mistakes, so don't spam. Thanks.

kaid

Smash Master
Originally the Midna topic was called that to dodge "Leave Wolflink as a transformation" posts.

Midna-on-wolflink was the entire concept.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Originally the Midna topic was called that to dodge "Leave Wolflink as a transformation" posts.

I forgot, you are right lol.
It's on the FIRST post that they would be together so this topic is looking kinda unneeded. . . .

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Black/Light said:
I forgot, you are right lol.
It's on the FIRST post that they would be together so this topic is looking kinda unneeded. . . .
Then again, don't spam it. Let it die on its own.

kaid said:

Ironic.

I'm sure you can agree wolf link and midna and minda alone are two very different characters. There should be two different threads for them because right now the current minda thead is only really bickering about whether she should be alone or not.

Zodiac

Smash Master
nah her super should be
her using the fused shadows and transform into that multi-armed monster

That would be awsome, but
the tear thing is good for her true form

Skler

Smash Master
Midna is way too cool, anybody who says she floats slow...she only floats slow when she wants to. She floats pretty fast whenever she feels like it (just about the same speed as wolf Link's running I'd say). She has every attack she needs as just Midna and would be light, but I do believe the 6th lightest character is the best in the game, while the lightest happens to be what, 6th best?

Midna would be fast, small and awesome, adding wolf link would make her bigger, heavier and less awesome. Same thing goes for putting Link on Epona, bigger, heavier and less awesome.

Lol check this rep out! Midna for Brawl 12-03-2006 07:34 PM Except that 90% of the time, Link is OFF Epona, while 90% of the time, Midna is ON wolf Link. Your analogy sucks.

Well we clearly have a genious among us, I didn't know Link was off Epona most of the time! See, the thing is I was making a point that if you make an awesome character ride a less awesome character (we all know wolf Link wasn't that great, admit it) it takes away from the total amount of awesome. If you put Link on Epona, you would lose some good attacks Link could do while gaining something you don't need. If you put Midna on wolf Link you lose good attacks that Midna could do on her own (and it makes her seem weak, which she isn't).

Edit numero two: This thread has a very misleading title. It says Midna for brawl, yet it should say Midna on wolf link is what the thread is promoting. Otherwise the thread should be about Midna being in brawl, not about Midna on wolf Link being in brawl.

kaid

Smash Master
Edit numero two: This thread has a very misleading title. It says Midna for brawl, yet it should say Midna on wolf link is what the thread is promoting. Otherwise the thread should be about Midna being in brawl, not about Midna on wolf Link being in brawl.
The thread was originally named to avoid "OMG make the wolf Link's dash attack" posts. Now that Twilight Princess is out, I will rename the thread.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Then again, don't spam it. Let it die on its own.

Ironic.

I'm sure you can agree wolf link and midna and minda alone are two very different characters. There should be two different threads for them because right now the current minda thead is only really bickering about whether she should be alone or not.

I agree, and I for one (as I have been for the past few days,) Support lone Midna for Brawl.

Link's already in the game. And if SSBM has taught us anything, it is that there is no need for him to be in twice.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Midna is way too cool, anybody who says she floats slow...she only floats slow when she wants to. She floats pretty fast whenever she feels like it (just about the same speed as wolf Link's running I'd say). She has every attack she needs as just Midna and would be light, but I do believe the 6th lightest character is the best in the game, while the lightest happens to be what, 6th best?

Midna would be fast, small and awesome, adding wolf link would make her bigger, heavier and less awesome. Same thing goes for putting Link on Epona, bigger, heavier and less awesome.

Lol check this rep out! Midna for Brawl 12-03-2006 07:34 PM Except that 90% of the time, Link is OFF Epona, while 90% of the time, Midna is ON wolf Link. Your analogy sucks.

Well we clearly have a genious among us, I didn't know Link was off Epona most of the time! See, the thing is I was making a point that if you make an awesome character ride a less awesome character (we all know wolf Link wasn't that great, admit it) it takes away from the total amount of awesome. If you put Link on Epona, you would lose some good attacks Link could do while gaining something you don't need. If you put Midna on wolf Link you lose good attacks that Midna could do on her own (and it makes her seem weak, which she isn't).

Please make up a high tiered moveset for Midna (alone) that has 30 unique moves. The problem with what I'm asking you to do is that it's impossible. Midna has a lot of neat magic in the game, but we'd end up seeing a whole lot of hand action and a whole lot less fun gameplay if you tried to do it. What's more fun: Using Midna's hand for everything but B attacks, or being able to not only use Midna's magical abilities, but also Wolf Link's feral attacks? I can scratch my head and come up with all the B moves, all the throws, all the tilts, all the smashes, all the aerials, and the dash attacks for Midna and Wolf Link, but when you take Wolf Link away, your moveset looks something like "Midna uses hand to swipe upwards. Midna uses hand to punch forwards, Midna hits the ground with her hand, Midna swings her hand......". Honestly... It's just not original.
Also, putting Midna on Wolf Link doesn't make her look weak by any means, as long as they still give her her fair share of the moveset. Since when is handling the magical projectiles from wolf-back weakly?

As for "Midna would be fast, small, and awesome...". Like Pikachu, but slow? Sounds like a great character. I'm sure everyone wants to main the slow, floaty lightweight. I say "But slow", since it just doesn't make sense for a character that's not touching the ground to be able to change directions quickly. Case and point: Mewtwo. But just incase there's something I'm missing: Where, in TP, does Midna "Want" to go fast? I've not seen her dash across the screen once. But, again, it's not about her movement speed so much as the speed at which she stops and starts her moves.

... And Link : Link + Epona :: Midna : Midna + Wolf is a terrible analogy, since Epona has no moves, while Wolf Link does. And in case you're wondering, I don't use neg rep often, since I doubt mine has any weight. Not worth my time.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I don't know why people pretend anything about midna's potential movesets are set in stone on or off link. who says on link she'll be slow, and how does it make sense even that off of him she'd lack speed.

When I see minda in my mind I see a small nimble character with amazing range and decent attack speed. Light, yes, but good recovery to make up for it.

P_A said:
The problem with what I'm asking you to do is that it's impossible. Midna has a lot of neat magic in the game, but we'd end up seeing a whole lot of hand action and a whole lot less fun gameplay if you tried to do it.
It's funny you mention that. Marth and roy, come from a game where they each can use numerous weapons, but in thier trip to melee they use only a sword, no punches or kicks. I'm using this example to prove that it can be done and it can be done well, and I'm saying that just to say that with minda it wouldn't need to be. Minda alone could be just as diverse as any of the characters in melee.

Skler

Smash Master
As for "Midna would be fast, small, and awesome...". Like Pikachu, but slow?
The key word in what I had said was fast. As <3 said, Midna can easily have her own moveset. She doesn't need to use the giant hand for anything but tilts or grabs if she wants, she can have a jab similar to M2s (but with less suck) and have magical attacks for all of her B moves.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
You're right, I really, really liked Midna.

I think she is strong enough to be in brawl.

*spoiler*

I can see her supersmash being her using the fused shadow transformation and pwning ganondorf. :D

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
yeah maybe, but id like to see midna by herself, cause it gonna look weird the jumping, the up b and other if shes ridin the wolf, she could be light, fast and semi-powerful, im guessing.
Well, I think they would have her hovering, since she's tiny, and she flies. And her jumps would just be little hover jumps?

I like both the idea of Wolf Link/Midna and solo Midna. I just want her in. She's too major of a character to TP to leave out. Frankly, I'm going to be angry if they just keep with OoT Link and use Shiek and Zelda. Those are old days, and we need to move on. Wolf Link/Midna would be really cool, and could promote the game really well.

I like the idea of using Wolf Link as a summon, I also like the idea of

*spoiler*

Midna using the Fused Shadows as a Super Smash.

Top Bottom