• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Considering how K. Rool's last major appearance was only three years after Dixie's last major appearance (up until Tropical Freeze), I don't believe that. Anyone who knows who K. Rool is probably knows who Dixie is (unless a large portion of K. Rool's fanbase is simply people jumping onto a bandwagon).
My post wasn't about her inclusion vs K Rool, but more about what I think is people's perception of her being close to Diddy and therefore passing her up. I'm just saying she has potential to not be a clone, and therefore should not be passed over without proper consideration.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
on my way to work so I dont have much input right now. Ill just leave this here till I het back tho.

I agree with her UP B being her signature helicopter spin.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The rest of what you said is fine, but I need to kick this to the curb because it's easily the worst argument anyone ever made against Dixie Kong (or any female Smash candidate).

There is no quota for female characters in the game (or villains, for that matter), and even if there was, we wouldn't be anywhere near it. As it stands, 10 characters out of 50 are female in their default form (and two of those are alternate versions of the same character), a mere 20%, and it doesn't go up much even if you include alts. Less than half of the newcomers to this game are female, how is that a "load"? It's not, and it only seems that way to anyone because more female characters were added to this game than to previous Smash games, but it's still very much majority male.
I should clarify that it's not specifically an argument against female characters I would use. This said, a very quick google search will find you threads on multiple different forums about the subject. During the speculation for SSB4, there was quite a lot of requests for two things:

1) More female characters
2) More villains

Neither request is wrong, and I don't believe either ever had (and I doubt will have) a quota. However, the newcomers we got, as well as the characters who didn't return, meant that request #1 was satisfied to a greater extent than #2. We now have Rosalina, Palutena, and Lucina as extra female characters, with Robin, Villager, Bowser Jr and Wii Fit Trainer having it as one of their alts. By contrast, the only new villains we got were Bowser Jr and Dark Pit, the latter of which it is fair to say was not received particularly warmly. We also lost Wolf. What this means is that I think a lot of people are now clamouring for more villains as they are now perceived to be the ones in greater deficit.

I hope this has cleared up what precisely I was trying to argue, as upon rereading I certainly wasn't clear enough with what I meant.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I should clarify that it's not specifically an argument against female characters I would use. This said, a very quick google search will find you threads on multiple different forums about the subject. During the speculation for SSB4, there was quite a lot of requests for two things:

2) More villains

Neither request is wrong, and I don't believe either ever had (and I doubt will have) a quota. However, the newcomers we got, as well as the characters who didn't return, meant that request #1 was satisfied to a greater extent than #2. We now have Rosalina, Palutena, and Lucina as extra female characters, with Robin, Villager, Bowser Jr and Wii Fit Trainer having it as one of their alts. By contrast, the only new villains we got were Bowser Jr and Dark Pit, the latter of which it is fair to say was not received particularly warmly. We also lost Wolf. What this means is that I think a lot of people are now clamouring for more villains as they are now perceived to be the ones in greater deficit.

I hope this has cleared up what precisely I was trying to argue, as upon rereading I certainly wasn't clear enough with what I meant.
There is no correlation between villains and female characters. If people want more villains, that's fine, but it has nothing to do with adding female characters, thus arguments like, "We already got a lot of female characters," or "there are enough female characters," are not only wrong but meaningless.

Besides, I've heard that people said they want more female characters, but the most popular requests are always male characters, making me wonder how widespread the request for more women actually was and if wasn't just a vocal minority.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Hey what's up fellow Dixie fans? Been awhile since I've been in this thread. Just gave a vote to Dixie via my Ipod.

My reasons as to why-

"The Donkey Kong Country series is among Nintendo's biggest franchises. I believe the franchise is deserving of four playable characters in Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, and Dixie Kong. She would be a great addition that would utilize her hair in her moveset. She made her playable debut in DKC 2 and was the lead character in DKC 3 plus her newest appearance in Tropical Freeze. Please consider Dixie to be among your choices for DLC along with K. Rool. The DK series deserves more representation in the Super Smash Bros. series."

Dixie for DLC!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The Dixie hype has ramped up again! Time for another moveset idea!

Forward Air: Kong Kicks

Another practical attack for Dixie, her forward air has her do two kicks: right leg then left. Like the alternate down tilt idea the input yields 2 hits per use, and you can attack repeatedly with it to rack up damage. Enemies are knocked upwards and backwards slightly with each kick--enough to push them back by just a bit but not enough to keep foes from escaping another dose; time it right and you'll get much more than 2 hits from these strikes. The move's quick on its own and not KO-worthy, but with Dixie's airspeed being the best of the Kongs and a unique ability of her own, you can practically chase foes around using this move repeatedly and slowly descend to the ground.

While the attack isn't as spectacular as her Up and Down Air (coming soon) or as strong as her Back Air, it's great for aggressive approaches. She moves faster than DK and Diddy in the air and can stay off the ground longer than they ever could.

Dixie's Forward Air is a go-to move for horizontal momentum, while her Neutral is a quick way to push others back; her Up Air is deliberately meant to rack up damage and disrupt her own falling speed while it's being used, almost to the point of floating in mid air (which she technically can't do, but "gliding's" a different story). Her Back Air is strong and can kill once certain thresholds are crossed, and her Down Air...is perfect for..displacement..

[Collapse=Alternate Down Tilt: Swift Spank]

Based off Tropical Freeze. She kneels and leans forward, allowing her hair to strike twice in front of her with a relatively small range. It's quick, reliable and has a stinging quality, but the attack is always 2 strikes per input, which means if the hits don't connect Dixie could be vulnerable to a counterattack. As I wrote before, the moves quick so she's not in too much danger if she misses, right?

I came up with the Handstand Slam just before I saw Dixie do that hair-banging groundpound from DKC Tropical Freeze, and I gotta admit it looked cool so I drew up something based on it. I find it practical; it's swift and she leans low unlike in the other which she is more open to danger, but it's not as strong and looks similar to her Forward Tilt. Still, both ideas are good but I prefer the Slam over the Spank. As long as I get ideas circulating in others, every drawing I show will serve its purpose. So in this case, if I have more than 1 idea to show for the same attack then the more the merrier.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Smash: Jolt]

Dixie starts her Up Smash with a handstand pose. Her arms and hair stay bent on the ground to support herself and cushion her head, for balancing in that position can be painful.
The blood flows down as the attack charges, but she remains clear-headed and focused. And then...

ssSSSHWEEEEEemsh!!! She launches herself straight up to collide with foes and knock them higher! Her hair goes from a curled cushion to propel herself upward; as she does so she extends her legs in the hopes of impacting enemies with blunt force. She uses her hair merely for assistance, as this attack has her rely on her feet to deal the damage, and boy is it strong. The force she uses to blast upwards coupled with the overall trajectory makes this quite a jolt for her!
A near - strictly vertical attack from Dixie. The extended length of her ponytail matches the length of her body, and thus like many of her moves she's granted some good range. As she shoots upward her feet have incredible force; it's not as powerful as her Forward Smash, but it has quite a healthy bit of killing power. Also, due to the vertical nature of this move, it's most effective on those directly above her and the knockback is vertically oriented as well.
In regard to Smash attacks, Dixie's Forward relies mostly on her hair to deal damage; her Up reverses that "role" and her Down has no reliance on her hair. A nice dynamic IMO.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Down Tilt: Handstand Slam]

To pull off her Down Tilt, Dixie does a swift handstand and lets her hair fall forward to smash into the ground. Opponents hit by it will be bounced upwards with semi decent force if their % is at or near zero; the knockback (or more accurately knock-up) is good but the move's not KO worthy unless on really high percentages, though it's a nice and quick way to bounce opponents off.

Here's the attack layout. At Position 1 tthere's no attack, but the transition to P2 is something to be aware of, as the startup swing does negligible damage but may knock you forward if grounded or swung with slightly more force if aerial. In either case, if you get hit at this transition, you should be pushed just out of the reach of this DTilt, with minor damage if you're higher than 20%. If your % is lower than 20, you're likely to endure the full attack. At P2, Dixie's hair swings downward, so anything hit from this point on the way to P3 will nudged or forced underneath the hair. At P3, the hair makes contact with the ground and BAM! The attack has unfolded. Anything it immediately touches will be bounced upwards as the attack is complete, and those that were forced through the whole move will be slammed into the ground, bounced up and receive higher damage and knockback than those making contact at P3. P4 is simply Dixie returning to her neutral position.
The move is quick on the startup side but has just a touch of ending lag; about the speed of Diddy's Forward Tilt, and as the move bounces foes upward I liken it to a 1-directional shockwave with (surprise surprise) nice reach thanks to her hair. It's quick and strong but not a killing move, however you might be able to use it to set up her Up Tilt at the right percentages. Just think...Dtilt-> UTilt-> FTilt/FSmash. This is one of Dixie's "Get back!" moves. [/Collapse]
[Collapse=Back Air: Whiplash Whirl]

Here we have a hair-assisted whiplash attack. She curves her hair around her then immediately turns 180 degresss, extending her hair in the process to smack foes, much like her forward smash but reversed. She then turns back to her start position. A powerful move, no doubt, but not quite the fastest airborne attack of hers. It takes a split second to get to the part you see above (while most BAirs are practically instantaneous) and the ending lag's roughly the same, so you might wanna use this move preemptively if you're sure it'll hit, and when it does it pays off. Not quite as fast as other BAirs or Dixie's other aerials, but still a reliable speed with good power. It is her strongest aerial move, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit by one of Ike's aerials, you'll have a very solid idea of its KO potential.
Also, as it is a tad slower due to startup and ending lag, it would be tougher to use this move as much as others before you land. Dixie doesn't have to worry too much though, because she's got an ability to stay airborne for quite some time. It's an ability...that I'll detail later..[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Air: Simian Cyclone]
Up Air

While airborne, Dixie can use her hair for more than maneuvering. She can treat enemies above her to a violent display of her hair's spinning ability, in which her ponytail twists and throttles wildly; it jerks and whips in a dangerous fashion, abandoning the more graceful movements it's known for and embraces a feral nature. The ponytail lashes and contorts relentlessly in a strange circular form that resembles a tornado, and thus she's able to gain multiple hits while enemies are caught in this cyclone.
Dixie makes a sort of free falling pose to pull off the move. Her arms are stretched outward while her head dips so that her feet are the highest point of her body; this allows her ponytail enough room to swivel uncontrollably without smacking herself, and her body is poised to help her with her movement, for the turbulent nature of her Simian Cyclone slows her good air speed. Fortunately this move slows her falling speed considerably, as she is spinning her ponytail afterall.
Great for racking up damage and trapping enemies in a hairy cyclone, not much of a killing move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Smash: Whiplash Smash]

To begin her Forward Smash attack, Dixie coils her hair around herself and turns her back to her foes. As she charges the move her hair tightens and snakes around her body; she balances on one foot in preparation for what's to come, unaffected by her own constricted grip. The extent of the coil grows with each second while Dixie grows more determined to maintain her posture. The pressure mounts...and then finally...!

WHAAAOOOOoomsshh!! She makes a fierce spin and unravels her hair, slashing the space around her! While she turns, her ponytail extends to whip the air with immense might and smack anything it collides with HARD. The force behind this move is extreme and her strongest smash attack without a doubt, and you can even hear the wind crack while the move's used. She easily surpasses her boyfriend's strength and practically rivals DK's!
This is a high-powered move with amazing knockback and high killing power, so do your best to avoid it! This move is a stationary spin attack that, thanks to her hair, gives this kong an elliptical strike range with impressive reach, damage, knockback and KO potential. The move starts quickly but has a bit of ending lag, for a revolution that fiercely performed needs a moment to keep balance. The upside to this however is that Dixie's using her hair to attack, and thus has a bit of a backswing that foes should beware. The backswing isn't as deadly (far less tbh) or powerful but it still packs a punch, so rolling around Dixie or standing behind this attack will leave you with a nasty surprise.
Dixie's UpTilt is a good setup for this move.
I finally got to show a smash attack. The idea behind it is a powerful backhand move where hair is used instead of hand, and I think it works out nicely[/collapse]
[collapse=Neutral Air: Splitting Kong]

A nice whirling kick. She spins twice to let her feet hit you; it pushes enemies back on moderate damage percentages and hits two times when used on those with low percentages. Nothing too special about the move, but its reliable and gets its job done. [/collapse]
[Collapse=Jab & Finisher]Okay everyone, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.
Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Tilt: Side Swing]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Tilt: Figure Ape]

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash. [/Collapse]

Hope y'all like, and awesome art @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer !

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
After giving it a little thought, I think some of the moves you posted are bit unfitting for Dixie, they kinda fit more with other types of fighting games like Street Fighter, where pretty much every move a character looks epic looking.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
LOL, I see what you mean. I was kinda going for that badass look when I sketched the moves out, when she's actually more of the adorable type. I kinda always wanted to 'toughen' her up, not that she's wimpy or too girly, I just get carried away with trying to make characters look like a certain level of cool.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Sorry for my lack of responses working on trying to spread the campaign. I got the DA journal up http://veemon-tamer.deviantart.com/journal/VOTE-DIXIE-KONG-FOR-SMASH-DLC-CAMPAIGN-525529126

The Dixie hype has ramped up again! Time for another moveset idea!

Forward Air: Kong Kicks

Another practical attack for Dixie, her forward air has her do two kicks: right leg then left. Like the alternate down tilt idea the input yields 2 hits per use, and you can attack repeatedly with it to rack up damage. Enemies are knocked upwards and backwards slightly with each kick--enough to push them back by just a bit but not enough to keep foes from escaping another dose; time it right and you'll get much more than 2 hits from these strikes. The move's quick on its own and not KO-worthy, but with Dixie's airspeed being the best of the Kongs and a unique ability of her own, you can practically chase foes around using this move repeatedly and slowly descend to the ground.

While the attack isn't as spectacular as her Up and Down Air (coming soon) or as strong as her Back Air, it's great for aggressive approaches. She moves faster than DK and Diddy in the air and can stay off the ground longer than they ever could.

Dixie's Forward Air is a go-to move for horizontal momentum, while her Neutral is a quick way to push others back; her Up Air is deliberately meant to rack up damage and disrupt her own falling speed while it's being used, almost to the point of floating in mid air (which she technically can't do, but "gliding's" a different story). Her Back Air is strong and can kill once certain thresholds are crossed, and her Down Air...is perfect for..displacement..

[Collapse=Alternate Down Tilt: Swift Spank]

Based off Tropical Freeze. She kneels and leans forward, allowing her hair to strike twice in front of her with a relatively small range. It's quick, reliable and has a stinging quality, but the attack is always 2 strikes per input, which means if the hits don't connect Dixie could be vulnerable to a counterattack. As I wrote before, the moves quick so she's not in too much danger if she misses, right?

I came up with the Handstand Slam just before I saw Dixie do that hair-banging groundpound from DKC Tropical Freeze, and I gotta admit it looked cool so I drew up something based on it. I find it practical; it's swift and she leans low unlike in the other which she is more open to danger, but it's not as strong and looks similar to her Forward Tilt. Still, both ideas are good but I prefer the Slam over the Spank. As long as I get ideas circulating in others, every drawing I show will serve its purpose. So in this case, if I have more than 1 idea to show for the same attack then the more the merrier.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Smash: Jolt]

Dixie starts her Up Smash with a handstand pose. Her arms and hair stay bent on the ground to support herself and cushion her head, for balancing in that position can be painful.
The blood flows down as the attack charges, but she remains clear-headed and focused. And then...

ssSSSHWEEEEEemsh!!! She launches herself straight up to collide with foes and knock them higher! Her hair goes from a curled cushion to propel herself upward; as she does so she extends her legs in the hopes of impacting enemies with blunt force. She uses her hair merely for assistance, as this attack has her rely on her feet to deal the damage, and boy is it strong. The force she uses to blast upwards coupled with the overall trajectory makes this quite a jolt for her!
A near - strictly vertical attack from Dixie. The extended length of her ponytail matches the length of her body, and thus like many of her moves she's granted some good range. As she shoots upward her feet have incredible force; it's not as powerful as her Forward Smash, but it has quite a healthy bit of killing power. Also, due to the vertical nature of this move, it's most effective on those directly above her and the knockback is vertically oriented as well.
In regard to Smash attacks, Dixie's Forward relies mostly on her hair to deal damage; her Up reverses that "role" and her Down has no reliance on her hair. A nice dynamic IMO.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Down Tilt: Handstand Slam]

To pull off her Down Tilt, Dixie does a swift handstand and lets her hair fall forward to smash into the ground. Opponents hit by it will be bounced upwards with semi decent force if their % is at or near zero; the knockback (or more accurately knock-up) is good but the move's not KO worthy unless on really high percentages, though it's a nice and quick way to bounce opponents off.

Here's the attack layout. At Position 1 tthere's no attack, but the transition to P2 is something to be aware of, as the startup swing does negligible damage but may knock you forward if grounded or swung with slightly more force if aerial. In either case, if you get hit at this transition, you should be pushed just out of the reach of this DTilt, with minor damage if you're higher than 20%. If your % is lower than 20, you're likely to endure the full attack. At P2, Dixie's hair swings downward, so anything hit from this point on the way to P3 will nudged or forced underneath the hair. At P3, the hair makes contact with the ground and BAM! The attack has unfolded. Anything it immediately touches will be bounced upwards as the attack is complete, and those that were forced through the whole move will be slammed into the ground, bounced up and receive higher damage and knockback than those making contact at P3. P4 is simply Dixie returning to her neutral position.
The move is quick on the startup side but has just a touch of ending lag; about the speed of Diddy's Forward Tilt, and as the move bounces foes upward I liken it to a 1-directional shockwave with (surprise surprise) nice reach thanks to her hair. It's quick and strong but not a killing move, however you might be able to use it to set up her Up Tilt at the right percentages. Just think...Dtilt-> UTilt-> FTilt/FSmash. This is one of Dixie's "Get back!" moves. [/Collapse]
[Collapse=Back Air: Whiplash Whirl]

Here we have a hair-assisted whiplash attack. She curves her hair around her then immediately turns 180 degresss, extending her hair in the process to smack foes, much like her forward smash but reversed. She then turns back to her start position. A powerful move, no doubt, but not quite the fastest airborne attack of hers. It takes a split second to get to the part you see above (while most BAirs are practically instantaneous) and the ending lag's roughly the same, so you might wanna use this move preemptively if you're sure it'll hit, and when it does it pays off. Not quite as fast as other BAirs or Dixie's other aerials, but still a reliable speed with good power. It is her strongest aerial move, and if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit by one of Ike's aerials, you'll have a very solid idea of its KO potential.
Also, as it is a tad slower due to startup and ending lag, it would be tougher to use this move as much as others before you land. Dixie doesn't have to worry too much though, because she's got an ability to stay airborne for quite some time. It's an ability...that I'll detail later..[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Air: Simian Cyclone]
Up Air

While airborne, Dixie can use her hair for more than maneuvering. She can treat enemies above her to a violent display of her hair's spinning ability, in which her ponytail twists and throttles wildly; it jerks and whips in a dangerous fashion, abandoning the more graceful movements it's known for and embraces a feral nature. The ponytail lashes and contorts relentlessly in a strange circular form that resembles a tornado, and thus she's able to gain multiple hits while enemies are caught in this cyclone.
Dixie makes a sort of free falling pose to pull off the move. Her arms are stretched outward while her head dips so that her feet are the highest point of her body; this allows her ponytail enough room to swivel uncontrollably without smacking herself, and her body is poised to help her with her movement, for the turbulent nature of her Simian Cyclone slows her good air speed. Fortunately this move slows her falling speed considerably, as she is spinning her ponytail afterall.
Great for racking up damage and trapping enemies in a hairy cyclone, not much of a killing move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Smash: Whiplash Smash]

To begin her Forward Smash attack, Dixie coils her hair around herself and turns her back to her foes. As she charges the move her hair tightens and snakes around her body; she balances on one foot in preparation for what's to come, unaffected by her own constricted grip. The extent of the coil grows with each second while Dixie grows more determined to maintain her posture. The pressure mounts...and then finally...!

WHAAAOOOOoomsshh!! She makes a fierce spin and unravels her hair, slashing the space around her! While she turns, her ponytail extends to whip the air with immense might and smack anything it collides with HARD. The force behind this move is extreme and her strongest smash attack without a doubt, and you can even hear the wind crack while the move's used. She easily surpasses her boyfriend's strength and practically rivals DK's!
This is a high-powered move with amazing knockback and high killing power, so do your best to avoid it! This move is a stationary spin attack that, thanks to her hair, gives this kong an elliptical strike range with impressive reach, damage, knockback and KO potential. The move starts quickly but has a bit of ending lag, for a revolution that fiercely performed needs a moment to keep balance. The upside to this however is that Dixie's using her hair to attack, and thus has a bit of a backswing that foes should beware. The backswing isn't as deadly (far less tbh) or powerful but it still packs a punch, so rolling around Dixie or standing behind this attack will leave you with a nasty surprise.
Dixie's UpTilt is a good setup for this move.
I finally got to show a smash attack. The idea behind it is a powerful backhand move where hair is used instead of hand, and I think it works out nicely[/collapse]
[collapse=Neutral Air: Splitting Kong]

A nice whirling kick. She spins twice to let her feet hit you; it pushes enemies back on moderate damage percentages and hits two times when used on those with low percentages. Nothing too special about the move, but its reliable and gets its job done. [/collapse]
[Collapse=Jab & Finisher]Okay everyone, here's my jab idea for The Third Hero:

Using her hair for support, she sits back and kicks her feet forward; Dixie pedals her feet back continuously to rack up damage.

Then, to finish her rapid kicks, she uses her hair and body to thrust herself forward feet first to give opponents a forceful shove. Thanks to her hair's length she's able to move a nice distance for her finisher.
Originally I thought of the 2nd drawing as a forward tilt backup idea, but after seeing the introduction of standard attack finishers in a Pic of the Day months ago, I knew what to do with this move.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Forward Tilt: Side Swing]
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.[/Collapse]
[Collapse=Up Tilt: Figure Ape]

Dixie's UpTilt involves her body facing us as she shuffles gracefully left to right or vice versa. She literally tilts; as she does so her hair sways with her to whack opponents above her, behind her and in front of her to move them around. It has great range and its effective at crowd control, but it has little knockback and by extension no real killing power. It is however good for disrupting aerial approaches and those that are too close as it displaces them, and if a foe's damage is substantial they'll be swept around through the whole animation instead of part of it. It's best to use this on airborne targets as they'll typically get stirred more than grounded opponents, who are more likely to get smacked depending on where they are, how close they are to Dixie and what stage her attack's in. It's generally a carrying attack. She'll always start the move from behind where she's facing; this is good to for getting those who rolled around her.

This is the attack's layout. At position 1, she starts the move and foes directly above as well as those beside her get hit and swept to position 2. Grounded opponents who got hit during position 1 will be swept and usually left here. Airborne victims likely won't. At P2, new victims both grounded and aerial will be whacked and likely carried with the airborne victims of P1 and swung to P3 where the attack ends. From this point, victims will either hit the ground or be chucked forward a bit, especially if their damage % is EXTREMELY high. Enemies who make contact at P3 will simply get whacked and pushed back. They only take damage ranging from average to below average from this move at these 3 points. Good for displacement, close-quarters crowd control or setting up the Forward Tilt or Forward Smash. [/Collapse]

Hope y'all like, and awesome art @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer !
Also may I feature these on the facebook page? THESE ARE FREAKING AMAZING! I found you on DA and used some of them in the journal! Also some of the moves in our moveset are pretty similar as well! =D

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Sorry for my lack of responses working on trying to spread the campaign. I got the DA journal up http://veemon-tamer.deviantart.com/journal/VOTE-DIXIE-KONG-FOR-SMASH-DLC-CAMPAIGN-525529126

Also may I feature these on the facebook page? THESE ARE FREAKING AMAZING! I found you on DA and used some of them in the journal! Also some of the moves in our moveset are pretty similar as well! =D
Sure! Do you mind just using the ones on DA though? They're much better quality tbh--I'll upload the others there too but they'll have a better resolution than the ones here. :)

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
LOL, I see what you mean. I was kinda going for that badass look when I sketched the moves out, when she's actually more of the adorable type. I kinda always wanted to 'toughen' her up, not that she's wimpy or too girly, I just get carried away with trying to make characters look like a certain level of cool.
I actually think you made her look awesome, I don't think there's anything wrong with showing dixie can be tough.

Also I love the new proactive attitude of this board, the deviant art, Facebook, etc all look great! I was thinking, what if we got some big video game youtubers to retweet the DA or FB page, I feel like that would spread the word pretty fast.

I don't have a twitter right now but I'll make one later today and give it a shot.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Sup' peoples! Okay a bit late to the party but catching up on thoughts and input
Sure! Do you mind just using the ones on DA though? They're much better quality tbh--I'll upload the others there too but they'll have a better resolution than the ones here. :)
Sure thing I'll make your moveset to it's own album so that way when you add the HQ version to DA I can keep them all together! Thanks 1000x times! =D

I actually think you made her look awesome, I don't think there's anything wrong with showing dixie can be tough.

Also I love the new proactive attitude of this board, the deviant art, Facebook, etc all look great! I was thinking, what if we got some big video game youtubers to retweet the DA or FB page, I feel like that would spread the word pretty fast.

I don't have a twitter right now but I'll make one later today and give it a shot.
Yes Yes and Yes! Trying our best to get this ball rolling! I'm pretty excited about it too! I'm fighting tooth and nail and giving everything I got for this! I'm about to start digging through DA to let people know about this as an attempt to bring more people in. Once I get our Central website up and running I think it will be easier to scout people once we have a clear objective/visual to set in front of people! But in the mean while start scouting people on twitter/YouTube and telling them about our twitter pages and facebook pages. I'll join yall later but right now I am trying to create foundations.

- The majority of people envision her as a clone of Diddy with a couple of different specials. I understand there are other possibilities but when people are going into her idle animations from DKC for moves, you should be able to understand why people don't see much moveset potential there at a cursory glance.
I’m assuming you are referring to the bubble gum? I see nothing wrong with that. It’s just more to work from. Who cares if it’s from an idle animation or not? It’s not where it’s from but HOW it’s applied. All these years I ALWAYS thought that Mario’s Down smash was derived from his idle animation from Mario 64.

The rest of what you said is fine, but I need to kick this to the curb because it's easily the worst argument anyone ever made against Dixie Kong (or any female Smash candidate).

There is no quota for female characters in the game (or villains, for that matter), and even if there was, we wouldn't be anywhere near it. As it stands, 10 characters out of 50 are female in their default form (and two of those are alternate versions of the same character), a mere 20%, and it doesn't go up much even if you include alts. Less than half of the newcomers to this game are female, how is that a "load"? It's not, and it only seems that way to anyone because more female characters were added to this game than to previous Smash games, but it's still very much majority male.
There is no correlation between villains and female characters. If people want more villains, that's fine, but it has nothing to do with adding female characters, thus arguments like, "We already got a lot of female characters," or "there are enough female characters," are not only wrong but meaningless.
I am so happy you beat me to this. I actually DID laugh out loud when I read this at work. Yeah I don’t think there are “loads” of females in the game. Splitting Samus /Zero Suit as well as Zelda/sheik seemed like a crap way to make the roster LOOK like there are more females. Bowser jr, robin and villager etc. are just skin swaps. Rosilaina was the ONLY unique standalone female (that is not a clone looking at you Lucina) added to the roster. So yeah, I think Sakurai owes us more female fighters. But one thing is for sure there definitely isn’t a correlation between the two however I strongly agree that the game needs more villains and females which is why I hope we get BOTH KKR and Dixie! Both Mario and LoZ have a female and villain so why can’t DK? Donkey Kong is just as much legendary and iconic as both of them. I'm not against KKR being in the game I'm just against him getting in without Dixie.

Besides, I've heard that people said they want more female characters, but the most popular requests are always male characters, making me wonder how widespread the request for more women actually was and if wasn't just a vocal minority.
EXACTLY!!!!!! SO that's why we need to go as hard as we can with this Dixie for DLC campaign. Assuming this is the true reason these blank boxes are on the main smash site http://www.gamnesia.com/news/smash-...will-be-six-dlc-characters-in-to#.VSVWofnF9pU Sakurai could easily choose most wanted newcomer male and most wanted newcomer female or something along those lines. Like I said we aren't competing with KKR I don't expect for our numbers to outshine his I just want to make it known to Nintendo that Dixie is ALSO wanted so Maybe we can aim to make her the most wanted female character or something?

Also one more thing I am noticing that is bugging me... Another thing that kills me is when people say a hair based fighter would be bland but then you look at their sig and they have Bayonetta for smash 4 supporter down there. Go to the Bayonetta thread and the SAME folks are like “Yeah I love the idea of using her hair in the moveset” -__-“ really?

I guess what it boils down to is that people have to SHOWN the potential a character could have before making a good decision. Looking at Dixie and saying she has NO potential should have disqualified the ice climbers years ago as well as DHD who they were creative enough to legit make me think Banjo and Kazooie are cosplaying as a dog and duck.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I would really enjoy seeing King K. Rool added to the roster... especially since it lacks heavyweights and baddies... but I worry that if he's included, it will kill Dixie Kong's chances completely.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

2) More villains

I can definitely relate to this. I wanted females a lot (still do) but now I have this big appetite for villains and female villains. *cough* Medusa *cough* (Wendy does not count in my eyes)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Man it seems like alot of people are really agaisnt dixie for some reason.No matter one way or another i'm sure ill see dixie playable and if so that guitat better be a taunt

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I cheated and voted twice. Once for Ivysaur and once for Dixie. She's become my most wanted newcomer, over Paper Mario. I love me some PM but I'm not feeling him as DLC for Smash 4, though Dixie would fit that beautifully.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I really hope we can get Playtonic to hear our message and send out the call for Dixie. That should definitely help get us in a few more votes. I also hope that the extra votes actually count, so we can get that additional support from those who don't have Dixie as their number 1 priority, but still want her in. If so, Playtonic could help us get more votes from those who have already voted for someone else. Dixie needs all of the support that she can get right now.

On a different note, I am loving the revived support in this thread! We are having thoughtful discussions again, and we are making efforts to organize and get our message out there! I want this thread to be a place where detractors can come in and see our passion and understand Dixie's potential as a fighter. I want them to see her value as a character and to Nintendo's history. And, hopefully, this information would cause them to rethink their judgement of her just being "Diddy in drag." Keep up the good work, everyone! I will be helping out on both the Smash 4 and P:M front in any way that I can.

EDIT: Since most of the movesets in the OP were put in before I was given ownership and were made by people who do not post here anymore, I'm considering deleting some of them to make room for the awesome picture movesets made by @ BirthNote BirthNote and @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer . Putting those in the OP would make Dixie's moveset potential much easier to visualize, and they make us look better as a group. I can't guarantee that I'll get everything in, since we only have limited space in the OP, but I want to fit as much in as I can.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I really hope we can get Playtonic to hear our message and send out the call for Dixie. That should definitely help get us in a few more votes. I also hope that the extra votes actually count, so we can get that additional support from those who don't have Dixie as their number 1 priority, but still want her in. If so, Playtonic could help us get more votes from those who have already voted for someone else. Dixie needs all of the support that she can get right now.

On a different note, I am loving the revived support in this thread! We are having thoughtful discussions again, and we are making efforts to organize and get our message out there! I want this thread to be a place where detractors can come in and see our passion and understand Dixie's potential as a fighter. I want them to see her value as a character and to Nintendo's history. And, hopefully, this information would cause them to rethink their judgement of her just being "Diddy in drag." Keep up the good work, everyone! I will be helping out on both the Smash 4 and P:M front in any way that I can.

EDIT: Since most of the movesets in the OP were put in before I was given ownership and were made by people who do not post here anymore, I'm considering deleting some of them to make room for the awesome picture movesets made by @ BirthNote BirthNote and @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer . Putting those in the OP would make Dixie's moveset potential much easier to visualize, and they make us look better as a group. I can't guarantee that I'll get everything in, since we only have limited space in the OP, but I want to fit as much in as I can.
If you're getting the 502 gateway error, press the Settings-like icon on the far right, to use the plain text mode. You'll have to use that every time you edit the OP.

:231:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Even if most people (including the Playtronic staff) support K. Rool instead of Dixie, I still think she is more likely solely because Nintendo still uses the character in their games. Although I want K. Rool in Smash as well (ideally both Dixie and K. Rool would be DLC newcomers), he sadly stayed in the past, with his most recent appearances being in random spin offs. If he was the villain instead of Lord Fredrick in Tropical Freeze, I would believe a lot more in his "chances".

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
No problem! I am dead set determined to make this happen and I'm sure as a team we can all pull together and do this. I was able to recruit about 10 more people on other sites as well. So i'f im not too active here sometimes that's basically what I am doing!

Even if most people (including the Playtronic staff) support K. Rool instead of Dixie, I still think she is more likely solely because Nintendo still uses the character in their games. Although I want K. Rool in Smash as well (ideally both Dixie and K. Rool would be DLC newcomers), he sadly stayed in the past, with his most recent appearances being in random spin offs. If he was the villain instead of Lord Fredrick in Tropical Freeze, I would believe a lot more in his "chances".
I cannot for the life of me find the tweet or the topic said tweet was posted in and I am kicking myself in the behind SO HARD right now for not paying more attention to it but I'm about 90% sure I read something along the lines of someone asking Retro studios about the Kremlings being in the next DKC game and they replied with something like we MIGHT need to fix that with a smiley face. And there is currently a New DKC game announced you better believe KKR is coming back in this 3rd game so we just need to throw the Dixie being relevant and K Rool not relevant thing out the window now.
http://www.donkeykong.country/

Tho I will GLADLY eat my words if it turns out that KKR is not the main baddie of this up coming game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On tbhe subject of the helicopter hair I'd prefer if it uwas uses a a combined Double Jump/glide thing where holding down the jump button actuivates it while her actual up-B is the Barrel Canon.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
No problem! I am dead set determined to make this happen and I'm sure as a team we can all pull together and do this. I was able to recruit about 10 more people on other sites as well. So i'f im not too active here sometimes that's basically what I am doing!

I cannot for the life of me find the tweet or the topic said tweet was posted in and I am kicking myself in the behind SO HARD right now for not paying more attention to it but I'm about 90% sure I read something along the lines of someone asking Retro studios about the Kremlings being in the next DKC game and they replied with something like we MIGHT need to fix that with a smiley face. And there is currently a New DKC game announced you better believe KKR is coming back in this 3rd game so we just need to throw the Dixie being relevant and K Rool not relevant thing out the window now.

Tho I will GLADLY eat my words if it turns out that KKR is not the main baddie of this up coming game.
So what is the countdown for, exactly?

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Hey BirthNote, really cool moveset. Love the art, it really makes imagining the moves easier.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Wait, Is that a legit site? WTF when was this announced?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
If you're getting the 502 gateway error, press the Settings-like icon on the far right, to use the plain text mode. You'll have to use that every time you edit the OP.

:231:
Thank you. That makes things a lot easier. I'll have the OP updated with the movesets soon.

EDIT: The movesets have been added. @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer and @ BirthNote BirthNote , if you decide to make more illustrations, I will make sure to keep the OP updated.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Hey BirthNote, really cool moveset. Love the art, it really makes imagining the moves easier.
Yeah that move set is pretty beast! Oh @ BirthNote BirthNote ill be uploading a move set template soon with button inputs on it. Figured you might find it useful since your move set is further along than mine.

Wait, Is that a legit site? WTF when was this announced?
I think around the time of Nintendo Direct.

Thank you. That makes things a lot easier. I'll have the OP updated with the movesets soon.

EDIT: The movesets have been added. @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer and @ BirthNote BirthNote , if you decide to make more illustrations, I will make sure to keep the OP updated.
And omg! Thank you so much for featuring my art in the op! =D

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Yeah its only speculation what the timer is for. Im guessing its a game but @ Reila Reila is right we just got one last year. Im really thinking they are going to reveal a new game comming our way within the next 2 years (d urring smash voting) and show kkr as the baddie to up his chances of getting in. I know that thought might be a bit paranoid but what better time than during smash hype to announce something new or step forth and say you want so and so in the game?
*sigh*

Anyways I need more content for the facebook page And the site im working on. I want to ask everyone here what they put on their ballots to Nintendo?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That's not saying much considering the original DKC trilogy came out in the span of 3 years
That is saying much considering Returns was released in 2010 and Tropical Freeze in 2014. The original trilogy release dates has no relevance here.

As for the countdown, I don't remember it being mentioned in the Direct and I am pretty sure there should be a NeoGAF thread about it somewhere, but I couldn't find one yet. Weird. Are we sure it isn't a fan made site?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Whatever the site's about, it intrigues me. If "he" refers to K. Rool, I will lose my reasoning. Getting Dixie back was great, getting the King back would be amazing. Good times ahead, yo~

inb4 lanky kong

Top Bottom