• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Luigi level Semi-clones, I'm cool with. Just don't nee another Dark Pit. Or Dark Diddy as the case may be.
Dark Diddy? No way... I actually see Diddy and Dixie as quite similar to :4ness: and :4lucas:. Similar statistics, similar looking Specials, yet totally different. I mean, one can easily play :4pit: and :4darkpit: afterwards with little to no big changes. :4ness: and :4lucas:, not so much.

I'm betting that Dixie will be as unique at the very least as :4lucas:.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dark Diddy? No way... I actually see Diddy and Dixie as quite similar to :4ness: and :4lucas:. Similar statistics, similar looking Specials, yet totally different. I mean, one can easily play :4pit: and :4darkpit: afterwards with little to no big changes. :4ness: and :4lucas:, not so much.

I'm betting that Dixie will be as unique at the very least as :4lucas:.
Thank you!

This is what I don't understand about people who look down Dixie Kong as a Diddy-in-a-drag clone while fervently supporting Wolf and Lucas to return.

She could be the Lucas to Diddy's Ness... with the one unique ability that Diddy lacks: floating in the air with her ponytail DKC2-style. That alone would make Dixie play a lot differently from Diddy even if they have similar moves.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I would love to see Dixie Kong be a playable character in Smash 4! She has my vote!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm just gonna say I'd be very disappointed if Dixie was added to P:M and not smash 4, for starters I live in Europe. Secondly, one of the main reasons I like Dixie is because of her appearance and brawl's art style? Well, It's kinda bland

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm just gonna say I'd be very disappointed if Dixie was added to P:M and not smash 4, for starters I live in Europe. Secondly, one of the main reasons I like Dixie is because of her appearance and brawl's art style? Well, It's kinda bland
Am from Europe to bruhhh!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna say I'd be very disappointed if Dixie was added to P:M and not smash 4, for starters I live in Europe.
The Project M team is aiming to make 3.6 be the first PAL release for Project M.

Also, this is not an "either or" situation, this is simply a strategic contingency plan in case we don't get in through DLC. Dixie's inclusion in Project M will only help us. As I said earlier, we could easily take run of the scene in terms of character support with only 5-10 of us.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The Project M team is aiming to make 3.6 be the first PAL release for Project M.

Also, this is not an "either or" situation, this is simply a strategic contingency plan in case we don't get in through DLC. Dixie's inclusion in Project M will only help us. As I said earlier, we could easily take run of the scene in terms of character support with only 5-10 of us.
They said that about 3.5 too, who knows how long it'll actually take for it to come out here
Am from Europe to bruhhh!

Me too! I'm italian aaheya
Woop! Woop! Other people to share the struggles with!

Last edited:

Derpies

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ploshie
Hello! :bee:
I'm new.... i don't speak english, sorry if my english is so bad.... but... well.
i'm here because i want to join to support Dixie. Embarrass
I love dixie, i think she has to be in smash, she has good moveset potential and can be so fun too. ~
Add me to the supporters list, please... if you can.
I believe in you dixie :joyful:.

Last edited:

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Sorry if someone posted a similar moveset, but I just thought of some specials for her that I wanted to share.

B: Barrel Throw: Pressing B causes her to pick up a barrel with her hair which she can carry around until B is pressed again. She then swings her hair back and throws it forward, maybe causing it to roll or explode on impact.

Forward B: Barrel Run: Similar to how she runs on DK in Tropical Freeze, she can run on a barrel for a while ala Wario's bike and Bowser Jr's cart.

Down B: Guitar Solo: Jams on her guitar similar to DK's down B or final smash without the range or power that that has. Sound waves can stream from her guitar in a few directions hitting those around her.

Up B: Bubblegum Blow: Blows up a bubble which carries her in whichever direction is pressed before getting too big, exploding, and launching gum everywhere and on anyone nearby, maybe slowing them down for a few seconds!

Tried to come up with some attacks that didn't directly involve her hair as the attack. Thoughts?

Last edited:

TeckMajik

Smash Rookie
I also want to support. I think it would be more like :4mario: and :4luigi: than:4ness: and :4lucas:. If she was just a skin, then it would just look weird using the peanut gun and the jetpack.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Sorry if someone posted a similar moveset, but I just thought of some specials for her that I wanted to share.

B: Barrel Throw: Pressing B causes her to pick up a barrel with her hair which she can carry around until B is pressed again. She then swings her hair back and throws it forward, maybe causing it to roll or explode on impact.

Forward B: Barrel Run: Similar to how she runs on DK in Tropical Freeze, she can run on a barrel for a while ala Wario's bike and Bowser Jr's cart.

Down B: Guitar Solo: Jams on her guitar similar to DK's down B or final smash without the range or power that that has. Sound waves can stream from her guitar in a few directions hitting those around her.

Up B: Bubblegum Blow: Blows up a bubble which carries her in whichever direction is pressed before getting too big, exploding, and launching gum everywhere and on anyone nearby, maybe slowing them down for a few seconds!

Tried to come up with some attacks that didn't directly involve her hair as the attack. Thoughts?
Love the Up B idea, plus we haven't had a recovery like that as far as I'm remembering

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Up B is similar to Villager's but also different, because of the "exploding, and launching gum everywhere and on anyone nearby". That said, I think the Up B would most likely be Dixie's "haircopter". I also like the idea of the Down B being the guitar. Dixie's guitar MUST be part of her moveset somehow.
Hello! :bee:
I'm new.... i don't speak english, sorry if my english is so bad.... but... well.
i'm here because i want to join to support Dixie. Embarrass
I love dixie, i think she has to be in smash, she has good moveset potential and can be so fun too. ~
Add me to the supporters list, please... if you can.
I believe in you dixie :joyful:.
I think your English is fine. Miles better than mine when I started visiting English-speaking forums a few years ago. Anyways, thanks for the support!
I would too, but it would be better than nothing. If Dixie and some of the other rumored characters (Sami, etc) are added to PM, I will be playing the hell out of it.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The Up B is similar to Villager's but also different, because of the "exploding, and launching gum everywhere and on anyone nearby". That said, I think the Up B would most likely be Dixie's "haircopter". I also like the idea of the Down B being the guitar. Dixie's guitar MUST be part of her moveset somehow.

I think your English is fine. Miles better than mine when I started visiting English-speaking forums a few years ago. Anyways, thanks for the support!

I would too, but it would be better than nothing. If Dixie and some of the other rumored characters (Sami, etc) are added to PM, I will be playing the hell out of it.
I was thinking her side B could be a guitar shockwave kinda like Zero Suit Samus

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I thought clone engine didn't necessarily mean a clone character. Mewtwo for example is a clone engine character, and he's unique.

Also, Dixie and K. Rool fans shouldn't be opposing each other. I support both, but like K. Rool a bit more. Who cares? I think both parties should be happy if DK gets a newcomer.
Agreed. We should join up and support both at the same time.
Besides, K Rool's main competition is Isaac.

Reila

Isn't he like, the second most popular and also with a very large vocal fanbase in terms of newcomers?
I don't know about popularity (K. Rool is the lead in internet pools, but who knows how much that actually tell about a character's popularity in the great scheme), but I don't see how a character from an unpopular RPG series (compared to the likes of FF, DQ, Persona and hell, even Xenoblade) that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about that much anymore is competition against the villain of one of Nintendo's most popular (platforming) series. What I mean is that I get your reasoning, but even if they are both the most popular contenders for DLC newcomers, I am not sure if are directly competing against each other.

This isn't a jab against Isaac, btw. I have nothing against the character, although there are like 20 characters I'd like to see in Smash before him.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pretty sure there's no competition.

This is a means of gauging popularity and potential, not a vote-by-numbers contest, which would defeat the purpose of the entire project.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't know about popularity (K. Rool is the lead in internet pools, but who knows how much that actually tell about a character's popularity in the great scheme), but I don't see how a character from an unpopular RPG series (compared to the likes of FF, DQ, Persona and hell, even Xenoblade) that Nintendo doesn't seem to care about that much anymore is competition against the villain of one of Nintendo's most popular (platforming) series. What I mean is that I get your reasoning, but even if they are both the most popular contenders for DLC newcomers, I am not sure if are directly competing against each other.

This isn't a jab against Isaac, btw. I have nothing against the character, although there are like 20 characters I'd like to see in Smash before him.
Isaac is 2nd in reddits current poll.

Reila

Shovel Knight with that many votes pleases and surprises me a lot. People at Yacht Club Games must be proud.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lD...zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

It's probably the largest poll so far so more useful for trying to extrapolate trends from.
I'm wondering where the actual poll is tho... The votes seem a bit skewed I seen the same results at gamefaqs and people were saying how they voted from different devices also no way in the face of hell TAILS from Sonic has more votes than Dixie. Even tho I really would LOVE to see Tails in I gave up on it long ago because thought it was unlikely that a 3rd party guest gets a second rep. So that's pretty much why ALL my attention is going towards Dixie.

Also I think we are getting the ball slowly rolling! 12 followers on twitter and 10 followers on facebook! It's VERY small but it's a start. Everyone Needs to remember to share these pages and invite people to like/follow them. I'm currently going through DA looking for comments like "i wish Dixie were in smash" and contacting them individually because alot of them don't know about the whole voting thing.

Shovel Knight with that many votes pleases and surprises me a lot. People at Yacht Club Games must be proud.
And yeah on that note I really have suspicions that alot of the inde game devs are throwing the whole "we want our characters in" thing as a way to get free advertising off of the voting campaign. I mean usually if someone was truly interested in something they would have expressed interest in it even if not likely way before something like this even comes about. As for Banjo Kazooie... I read an article that Nintedo attempted to buy the BK ip back and Microsoft said no then turns around and said "BUUUUUUTTTT... It would be cool if they were featured in smash"? I swear it's a ploy for free advertising.

Not for the sake of Dixie's chnaces but in general I really hope a bunch of 3rd party characters don't make it in before deserving NINTENDO vets. =/

Reila

Yeah, definitely. An indie game character getting into Smash would boost said character's popularity and of course, the game and developer's by a huge margin. It is not surprising that WayForward wants Shantae in Smash. And I am with you, as much as I like the game Shovel Knight, I don't want any of those indie characters in Smash before Dixie, Inkling and others. Exception being Banjo & Kazooie since they were once Nintendo characters... Sorta.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Also I am all ears for everyone saying work with K Rool fans to try to get DIxie supported. HOW!?! I seriously would love to know how. I already tried that with no luck at a FB rare group. They kinda agreed and said I had a point but then Banjo was thrown into the mix and 95% of them just said screw Dixie and threw her to the side to start voting Banjo. So if 2 rare based characters are going to get in assuming this is a highest votes wins type of thing it will be KKR and BK at this point.
We need to be very aggressive with this campaign and get the word out in any way possible. Encourage people to like the FB and twitter pages so they can see they they are part of something bigger that isn't a waste of time.

I am currently working on a central website by the way that will link all of our companion pages together as well as explain what our purpose is and why people should join. Trying my absolute best over here. ;___;

While i'm working on the presentation stuff someone go scout twitter for Dixie fans and tell them about our twitter page! The more numbers we have the louder the noise and noise attracts crowds if you know what I mean.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm wondering where the actual poll is tho... The votes seem a bit skewed I seen the same results at gamefaqs and people were saying how they voted from different devices also no way in the face of hell TAILS from Sonic has more votes than Dixie. Even tho I really would LOVE to see Tails in I gave up on it long ago because thought it was unlikely that a 3rd party guest gets a second rep. So that's pretty much why ALL my attention is going towards Dixie.

Also I think we are getting the ball slowly rolling! 12 followers on twitter and 10 followers on facebook! It's VERY small but it's a start. Everyone Needs to remember to share these pages and invite people to like/follow them. I'm currently going through DA looking for comments like "i wish Dixie were in smash" and contacting them individually because alot of them don't know about the whole voting thing.

And yeah on that note I really have suspicions that alot of the inde game devs are throwing the whole "we want our characters in" thing as a way to get free advertising off of the voting campaign. I mean usually if someone was truly interested in something they would have expressed interest in it even if not likely way before something like this even comes about. As for Banjo Kazooie... I read an article that Nintedo attempted to buy the BK ip back and Microsoft said no then turns around and said "BUUUUUUTTTT... It would be cool if they were featured in smash"? I swear it's a ploy for free advertising.

Not for the sake of Dixie's chnaces but in general I really hope a bunch of 3rd party characters don't make it in before deserving NINTENDO vets. =/
Apologies, the poll is here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lDL4AlHjetpp9WYTAb7KXwdtTdjv0zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewform

It's gotten to the point people have realised they can take it as many times as they want and so it's basically become a spam contest now. Daisy was at one point the highest voted character because of it.

Regarding K. Rool support, I think the vast majority of us aren't against Dixie. However voting for K. Rool takes precedence, especially seens as it could herald his return to the series as a whole, something Dixie doesn't need. However, bear in mind that we're trying to keep up a steady flow of votes throughout the process. If K Rool gets announced before the end of the ballot at say E3 then I'd expect a decent proportion of K Rool voters to then turn their attention to Dixie.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also I am all ears for everyone saying work with K Rool fans to try to get DIxie supported. HOW!?! I seriously would love to know how. I already tried that with no luck at a FB rare group. They kinda agreed and said I had a point but then Banjo was thrown into the mix and 95% of them just said screw Dixie and threw her to the side to start voting Banjo. So if 2 rare based characters are going to get in assuming this is a highest votes wins type of thing it will be KKR and BK at this point.
We need to be very aggressive with this campaign and get the word out in any way possible. Encourage people to like the FB and twitter pages so they can see they they are part of something bigger that isn't a waste of time.

I am currently working on a central website by the way that will link all of our companion pages together as well as explain what our purpose is and why people should join. Trying my absolute best over here. ;___;

While i'm working on the presentation stuff someone go scout twitter for Dixie fans and tell them about our twitter page! The more numbers we have the louder the noise and noise attracts crowds if you know what I mean.
Its really a shame that Dixie Kong doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She is probably among the best female protagonists in gaming, and probably the most notable Nintendo one usually in a playable role next to Samus.

I don't totally buy that people aren't interested in Dixie because she is "just another monkey". There have been plenty of characters that had questionable moveset potential yet still got loads of support. I think the primary problem is that:
1. Many people are bandwagoners with an incapacity to think for themselves (just repeat whatever they read, ie. I have seen some people who used to think Ridley was a good addition now go on full Ridley basher just because everyone else on 4chan is one)
2. K. Rool fans (who are likely the largest and most powerful faction) see Dixie as their number one competition.

Like I said I am not sure this is a war we can win. I know many of you aren't keen on it, but Project M inclusion will grease the wheels for us going forward into the next Smash Bros. title.

Its really a shame, because Dixie really does deserve far more requests than she has been getting.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I think that a lot of people just don't know Dixie or maybe don't know the potential she has. I remember being asked about what she offered other than her hair that would set her apart from Diddy Kong. A lot in my opinion, everything that Diddy doesn't bring to the table, she can. I think it's already posted in the OP, but animal companions play a role in DK games and barrels can be used as well. Her standing animation of her blowing bubbles can be worked with and expanded upon as well as her end level guitar playing. There's a lot of DK games I haven't played but I'm sure she has potential. She doesn't have to be just a Diddy clone. And her hair is awesome.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think that a lot of people just don't know Dixie .
Considering how K. Rool's last major appearance was only three years after Dixie's last major appearance (up until Tropical Freeze), I don't believe that. Anyone who knows who K. Rool is probably knows who Dixie is (unless a large portion of K. Rool's fanbase is simply people jumping onto a bandwagon).

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Its really a shame that Dixie Kong doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She is probably among the best female protagonists in gaming, and probably the most notable Nintendo one usually in a playable role next to Samus.

I don't totally buy that people aren't interested in Dixie because she is "just another monkey". There have been plenty of characters that had questionable moveset potential yet still got loads of support. I think the primary problem is that:
1. Many people are bandwagoners with an incapacity to think for themselves (just repeat whatever they read, ie. I have seen some people who used to think Ridley was a good addition now go on full Ridley basher just because everyone else on 4chan is one)
2. K. Rool fans (who are likely the largest and most powerful faction) see Dixie as their number one competition.

Like I said I am not sure this is a war we can win. I know many of you aren't keen on it, but Project M inclusion will grease the wheels for us going forward into the next Smash Bros. title.

Its really a shame, because Dixie really does deserve far more requests than she has been getting.

Considering how K. Rool's last major appearance was only three years after Dixie's last major appearance (up until Tropical Freeze), I don't believe that. Anyone who knows who K. Rool is probably knows who Dixie is (unless a large portion of K. Rool's fanbase is simply people jumping onto a bandwagon).
Replying to a couple of quotes in one here. There are a couple of reasons people aren't voting for her in great volumes right now:

- I don't think calling her a notable Nintendo protagonist to the general public is entirely fair. Whilst she has had her starring role in DKC2 and DKC3, she pretty much takes a backseat role to DK and Diddy. Those two have also had playable appearances without her in a few games since then and also appear a lot in Mario spin-off games to boost their popularity.

- The majority of people envision her as a clone of Diddy with a couple of different specials. I understand there are other possibilities but when people are going into her idle animations from DKC for moves, you should be able to understand why people don't see much moveset potential there at a cursory glance.

- People are voting for a character from their favourite series, and Dixie is being passed up in favour of K Rool due to various reasons; people want more villains playable, Sakurai already added a load of female characters this game, it's easier to demonstrate a unique moveset for K Rool (though he still gets a fair share of "Omg just a Bowser clone" detractors) and they also feel an appearance here would facilitate a return to the main series.

The K Rool thread here at least seems to be trying not to treat any character in particular as competition to stop the thread descending into flaming other characters, and so on. My impression regarding Dixie in particular (as Dixie has come up in discussion) is that we'd quite like both characters (and if we didn't get K Rool we'd be happier getting some new DK content than none). Literally the only point of contention between Dixie / K Rool fans is whether or not two characters from the same series would be added as DLC.

I don't actually think Dixie has no unique potential (though I could easily imagine developers being lazy with her) or have anything against her appearance. I think DK fans should be friends and push for whatever new DK content they can, especially given how woefully underrepresented the series currently is.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ DJ3DS DJ3DS is on the ball: the K. Rool fans, for the most part, aren't looking to start an inter-faction character war. Most of us think Dixie and K. Rool would be great choices, and would be happy to see either in Smash.

Or both. Both would be even better.

Reila

Things changed then. A few months back the flaming against Dixie supporters was insufferable in the K. Rool thread.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Things changed then. A few months back the flaming against Dixie supporters was insufferable in the K. Rool thread.
I remember that happening for a bit, but I think most people would strongly disagree with that kind of behaviour. In my experience, most K. Rool fans are also Dixie fans, and vice-versa.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
The rest of what you said is fine, but I need to kick this to the curb because it's easily the worst argument anyone ever made against Dixie Kong (or any female Smash candidate).

Sakurai already added a load of female characters this game
There is no quota for female characters in the game (or villains, for that matter), and even if there was, we wouldn't be anywhere near it. As it stands, 10 characters out of 50 are female in their default form (and two of those are alternate versions of the same character), a mere 20%, and it doesn't go up much even if you include alts. Less than half of the newcomers to this game are female, how is that a "load"? It's not, and it only seems that way to anyone because more female characters were added to this game than to previous Smash games, but it's still very much majority male.

Top Bottom