• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
diddy's down throw(hoo) into up-air(hah)
Ahhh! I knew it was Diddy related but I didn't know exactly what it was. This clears things up. Thanks.

I know this had probably already been discussed but alot of stuff I read is pretty much along the lines of "I would want Dixie in smash but she would be a diddy clone so i'll pass"

You think more people would have a change of heart if we could prove she would be a unique character? I'm a decent artist and wouldn't mind illustrating a few move sets to give people visuals of her potential! Or would that be a waste of time?
Thoughts?

sample of my latest Smash piece. wouldn't mind doing a few Dixie ones if people think it would help.
http://veemon-tamer.deviantart.com/art/MELEE-DYNASTY-IS-DEAD-523242088

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Ahhh! I knew it was Diddy related but I didn't know exactly what it was. This clears things up. Thanks.

I know this had probably already been discussed but alot of stuff I read is pretty much along the lines of "I would want Dixie in smash but she would be a diddy clone so i'll pass"

You think more people would have a change of heart if we could prove she would be a unique character? I'm a decent artist and wouldn't mind illustrating a few move sets to give people visuals of her potential! Or would that be a waste of time?
Thoughts?

sample of my latest Smash piece. wouldn't mind doing a few Dixie ones if people think it would help.
http://veemon-tamer.deviantart.com/art/MELEE-DYNASTY-IS-DEAD-523242088
Until she gets in I don't think we could really change people's minds

It tended to be that way with a lot of the newcomers, people assumed Rosalina would be a peach clone (that never made any sense though), That little mac would be a generic boxer, that bowser jr would be a tiny bowser, That palutena would be a discount Zelda. I guess some people just aren't creative enough to see characters who are visually plain or similar to others as potentially unique

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Until she gets in I don't think we could really change people's minds
I guess some people just aren't creative enough to see characters who are visually plain or similar to others as potentially unique
yeah you bring up a VERY good point about how everyone thought the newcomers would be knock off characters (my self included on some of them) and with that bit of info I think you inspired me to just go ahead and go through with it anyways. I have nothing to lose. I still might draw a couple of pics as eye candy for the campaign journal i'm about to start on DA. I'm thinking about using quotes from various cases good and bad to present a case of why she should be included and could be far from a clone. Who knows maybe it might reach a couple of people if they can visually see everything presented to them at once of front. Wish me luck lol.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
yeah you bring up a VERY good point about how everyone thought the newcomers would be knock off characters (my self included on some of them) and with that bit of info I think you inspired me to just go ahead and go through with it anyways. I have nothing to lose. I still might draw a couple of pics as eye candy for the campaign journal i'm about to start on DA. I'm thinking about using quotes from various cases good and bad to present a case of why she should be included and could be far from a clone. Who knows maybe it might reach a couple of people if they can visually see everything presented to them at once of front. Wish me luck lol.
Go for it. Might as well try with the possibility of failure than not bother at all.

Plus you're art is really nice and I'd love to see what you could do with her

Last edited:

SonoUnProcione

Smash Cadet
Hi! I'm new here!
I am italian so my english might not be so nice :>

I fully support Dixie, all the way!
I truly love her, but now I'm a bit depressed because a lot of people are going to vote veterans and/or third part characters.
My dream would be a DLC Pack featuring both Dixie and King K. Rool.

Is there any chance?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Hi! I'm new here!
I am italian so my english might not be so nice :>

I fully support Dixie, all the way!
I truly love her, but now I'm a bit depressed because a lot of people are going to vote veterans and/or third part characters.
My dream would be a DLC Pack featuring both Dixie and King K. Rool.

Is there any chance?
It could happen but I wouldn't bet on it too much. Although I wouldn't be concerned about veterans and especially 3rd parties. The only worthwhile veteran is wolf who is pretty much confirmed at this point and there's no way we're getting any of the 3rd parties people are voting for

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Your art is awesome, wow! I'd definitely love to see some concepts of Dixie in smash from you, go for it! Even if it doesn't convince anyone, it'll be great practice for you if you've ever considering going into the video game industry as an artist.

As far as people saying she'd be a clone... If they did a double whammy DK DLC bundle where it's K. Rool and Dixie together, I could see Dixie being a clone to make it easier to get two DK chars at once. And I'd kinda hate that. :/ After all this waiting, I'd want her to have a unique moveset.

Outside of that though, she's so unique and interesting that it'd be really unfair to just make her a Diddy clone. Her hair could be part of a kind of long-range playstyle, maybe a lot of attacks with lingering hitboxes (kind of like how Rosalina fights?) and of course, once you start dipping into the vast well of potential DK ideas (animal friends, instruments, heck there's not even a DK character that throws a barrel at this point!), there's definitely plenty to work with.

If Dixie appears as a clone of Diddy I'll be happy that she's in, but also kinda annoyed at Sakurai for shafting her like that. And characters like Rosalina and baby Bowser are so wildly different and unique from the characters they're similar to that I'd be really surprised if that same treatment wasn't applied to Dixie.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dixie better have a taunt/victory screen where she player her guitar. She had some great tunes.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the amount of people voting multiple times might eventually nulify this ballot thing, if Nintendo decides to ip check the votes.

Anyways, welcome to the forums, Togemon person!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In the perfect world there would be unlimited developers workign on teh project and characters would come out in two-packs, somethign like

Wolf & Krystal
Dixie & K. Rool
Squirtle & Ivysaur
Captain Toad & Bandana Dee

*sigh* Stupid reality.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Oh man, do you know if multiple votes actually count?

I think the amount of people voting multiple times might eventually nulify this ballot thing, if Nintendo decides to ip check the votes.
Yo Togemon Dude what's up! Cool to see more Digi fans! =D I'm pretty new here too so we can be new together!

But yeah someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure multiple votes count. To my understanding each device will have it's own IP address. So each cpu and cell phone you have as well as your ds and a wii u or a tablet of any kind should all count as separate votes. As well as a vote with your phone connected to your wifi and your phone with wifi disabled running on your 3g or 4g network should also have separate ip addresses.

If they decide to ip check then they should all be different right? unless they are checking the ip of the router that is being used as well as mac address per device. Then yeah all of the extra votes would be washed out but it's worth a shot becuse I mean people over on the K Rool thread are doing it as if they don't have enough support already so...

Your art is awesome, wow! I'd definitely love to see some concepts of Dixie in smash from you, go for it! Even if it doesn't convince anyone, it'll be great practice for you if you've ever considering going into the video game industry as an artist.
Wow thanks that means alot to me! But yup Dixie art on the way pronto-ish xD I want to contribute to the cause as much as I possibly can!

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Alright here is a preview of my project to draw a unique move set for her to show that she wouldn't be a diddy clone.
SIDE B MOVE - Dixie wraps around her hair into a tire formation to run over opponents on the battlefield.
I have a LONG ways to go and I might even make animation/story board vids!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Alright here is a preview of my project to draw a unique move set for her to show that she wouldn't be a diddy clone.
SIDE B MOVE - Dixie wraps around her hair into a tire formation to run over opponents on the battlefield.
I LOVE it. :love:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Spin2win!

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
That looks awesome! keep up the good work

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Dixie don't need to be a clone. She is quite unique.
The "Diddy clone" thing is just because Sakurai may think that is easier to build her moveset similar to Diddy's.
She has the guitar, hair, bubblegum, could use DK assist animals, barrels like in Barrel Blast, and a lot more.
But thinking as a designer who wants to make most money with less work, Dixie being a clone looks reasonable.

I really expect her to be unique.
But giving her a guitar spike and a guitar taunt, I'm happy enough.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Dixie don't need to be a clone. She is quite unique.
The "Diddy clone" thing is just because Sakurai may think that is easier to build her moveset similar to Diddy's.
She has the guitar, hair, bubblegum, could use DK assist animals, barrels like in Barrel Blast, and a lot more.
But thinking as a designer who wants to make most money with less work, Dixie being a clone looks reasonable.

I really expect her to be unique.
But giving her a guitar spike and a guitar taunt, I'm happy enough.
I expect her to be unique but still based on diddy's build and animations. Kinda like Wolf or lucas who barely count as clones

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think it would be cool if Dixie have two specials like Diddy and two like DK.
His Neutral Special could be Bubblegum (as different to Diddy as Falco/Fox/Wolf lasers).
His SideB could be a Guitar Flip, like a Monkey Flip (Diddy) but with a guitar (because why not ?).
His DownB could be the Hair Slap, where she hits front and then behind, as in DKC Tropical Freeze, and similar to DK's SideB.
And his UpB should be a Hairycopter, where she spins with her Hair, as a moving Spin attack or Spinning Monkey.

Everything else being unique, but this specials looking likes her friends specials move.
This don't make any character a clone, unless you're from a filthy casual perspective.

SonoUnProcione

Smash Cadet
I also think that she could be easily very unique, but I also see a lot of people complaining with "We don't need a Diddy clone!"

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
This never stopped Sakurai before.
Everyone cried "We don't need a Pit clone", and he's in.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Look at this, guys: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...m4/pubchart?oid=1981029313&format=interactive

Now Dixie is on the 4th page. Lower than before....

I'm gonna cry so hard right now.
There's a lot of characters there you can disregard completely though
King K
Snake
Isaac
Wolf
Inkling
Roy
Paper Mario (Maybe)
Bandana Dee
Wonder Red
Krystal
Sceptile
Chorus Kids
Dixie
Impa

She's 14th out of the actually feasible characters, that's not great but not terrible either

NOOOOO! We can't let it happen.
I'm taking this as a "YOU WILL VOTE 100 times for Dixie everyday" sign.
Seriously, I'm voting her forever now.
Seriously, Let's do it, I'm gonna vote at least 10 times a day

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
There's a lot of characters there you can disregard completely though
King K
Snake
Isaac
Wolf
Inkling
Roy
Paper Mario (Maybe)
Bandana Dee
Wonder Red
Krystal
Sceptile
Chorus Kids
Dixie
Impa
y
Let's look at this list logically and Dixie might move up a few slots:

1. Snake is probably not coming back.

2. Wolf is likely coming back regardless of the poll like Lucas

3. Roy is definitely not returning. We're not going to have two clones of Marth.

4. Sceptile is unlikely, we already got Mewtwo returning and there are too many Pokemon reps for one game.

5. Krystal I feel is unlikely. Wolf's return is much easy and I doubt Starfox will get two DLC characters.

6. Chorus Kids were probably already planned but axed due to technical issues like Ice Climbers. I doubt we'll see them.

7. Bandana Dee is unlikely even with Sakurai's bias, we don't need a fourth Kirby rep.

I feel like Dixie's competition is K Rool, Isaac, Inkling and maybe Wonder Red. Maybe even place her ahead of Wonder Red since Wonderful 101 bombed in sales and is unlikely to get a sequel.

SonoUnProcione

Smash Cadet
Let's look at this list logically and Dixie might move up a few slots:

1. Snake is probably not coming back.

2. Wolf is likely coming back regardless of the poll like Lucas

3. Roy is definitely not returning. We're not going to have two clones of Marth.

4. Sceptile is unlikely, we already got Mewtwo returning and there are too many Pokemon reps for one game.

5. Krystal I feel is unlikely. Wolf's return is much easy and I doubt Starfox will get two DLC characters.

6. Chorus Kids were probably already planned but axed due to technical issues like Ice Climbers. I doubt we'll see them.

7. Bandana Dee is unlikely even with Sakurai's bias, we don't need a fourth Kirby rep.

I feel like Dixie's competition is K Rool, Isaac, Inkling and maybe Wonder Red. Maybe even place her ahead of Wonder Red since Wonderful 101 bombed in sales and is unlikely to get a sequel.

This post gave me hope. Thanks dude.

I'm voting non-stop for Dixie with a friend of mine from, like, 2 hours.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how much the third party they're hiring to sift through the votes is getting paid. Not enough I'll bet.

All those troll votes.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think Bandana Dee is possible.
Sakurai removed them from any other gameplay representation... It's like he did with Isaac.
Sometimes I catch me wondering if they don't expect this 2 characters to be voted all the way before.

But we cannot surrender. I think the major problem is that they will probably not add 2 DK characters.
And I'm seeing K.Rool having a edge.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I definitely think Dixie Kong deserves to be in Smash 4, but the fact is that K. Rool is in a tier all his own in terms of requests.

However, there is no denying that in terms of iconic true newcomers Dixie Kong is among the handful of true newcomers left with starpower (the only other ones I would say would be Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, and Toad).

There is a very easy alternative route for Dixie fans to pursue. Although Dixie fans don't quite have the resources that K. Rool ones do, there is still quite a few passionate Dixie fans.

There are still two slots left to be determined in Project M. The fact is that Project M is suffering right now from being under the shadow of Smash 4. The only way I can see Project M regaining some spotlight is by adding in some characters that have a lot of clout to their name.

Ridley of course would be one of these two, but I increasingly believe that the other one should be Dixie Kong.

With a playable Dixie Kong in Project M, I feel that it would be the catapult to which would propel Dixie into becoming among the Top 3 most wanted newcomers in Smash 5.

We might even be able to work with K. Rool fans on this endeavor. What are your thoughts?

Top Bottom