• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I can understand that. To be clear, my statement wasn't that it should happen, but rather, that it would out of necessity for avoiding an overloaded roster while still appealing to as many fans as possible.

Let me ask: If Lucas weren't an included character in Smash4, would you rather he be an alternate costume for Ness, or not included in any way at all? We had a similar discussion in another forum recently on the subject. People's reactions varied a lot.
Rather have him as an assist trophy if he's not playable.

If not that, I'd rather just have him flat out not in the game, alt costume would be a slap to mah face ;_;

D

Deleted member

Rather have him as an assist trophy if he's not playable.

If not that, I'd rather just have him flat out not in the game, alt costume would be a slap to mah face ;_;
THIS. Literally, the only clone it makes sense to bring back as an alternate costume is Dr. Mario, and even then some Doc players might not be too happy. It only worked in PM because PM Mario is a hybrid of Melee Mario and Doc as is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You know I was around when the 35 character leak for Brawl was shown, everybody denied it and hated it, it didn't have Ridley, Geno, K.Rool, Mewtwo, all those guys everybody keeps wanting. And what happened? It was real. It was disappointing, but it was real.

Now Im not a fan of any of those characters listed above but, I can't help be a little disappointed in the Gematsu leak roster either but that's the point its just being realistic. History is going to repeat itself.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The difference with Norfair was that it was from a game that already had a rep. Awakening doesn't have a rep.

You're right about Smashville though.
Personally I count in franchises, not games, but if we look at it like that I guess you're right. I always figured Norfair was very much a Ridley stage though, especially since the first thing Sakurai pointed out about it in the Dojo update was that it was where you fought him.

D

Deleted member

You know I was around when the 35 character leak for Brawl was shown, everybody denied it and hated it, it didn't have Ridley, Geno, K.Rool, Mewtwo, all those guys everybody keeps wanting. And what happened? It was real. It was disappointing, but it was real.

Now Im not a fan of any of those characters listed above but, I can't help be a little disappointed in the Gematsu leak roster either but that's the point its just being realistic. History is going to repeat itself.
Am I the only one who would be satisfied with Brawl with a few cuts and Gematsu?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I mean as long as I get Jigglypuff I'll be satisfied with the roster tbh. And Gematsu seems to support that she'll most likely make it back.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean as long as I get Jigglypuff I'll be satisfied with the roster tbh. And Gematsu seems to support that she'll most likely make it back.
Gematsu never said anything pertaining to Jigglypuff or other veterans. The only ones that are either helped/hurt by Gematsu are Ness and Lucas. All the others remain in limbo.

I'm fairly certain Jigglypuff will return, however.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
While it hasn't been stated, every other fighting game I know that includes costumes has them be the same character. Scorpion doesn't have a Sub Zero alternate in Mortal Kombat for example.

So far, Smash has done this as well.
Wireframe Mac is still Little Mac
Overalls Wario is still Wario.
Injustice: Gods Among Us did it. Green Lantern had a John Stewart costume that included Stewart's original voice actor. They had the same moveset, and both were a "Green Lantern", but Hal Jordan and John Stewart are completely different characters. Here's an example.

They also made a Cyborg Superman costume with a different voice, Earth-2 variations for multiple characters (even though, again, they're all completely different characters in Earth-2) and even put in the CW's Arrow with the guy who plays Ollie voicing him as a substitute for Green Arrow.

I'm not trying to argue that one way is "right" versus another, but I didn't see any backlash against these side characters getting costumes instead of custom movesets and roster spots. People were just happy they were in.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
THIS. Literally, the only clone it makes sense to bring back as an alternate costume is Dr. Mario, and even then some Doc players might not be too happy. It only worked in PM because PM Mario is a hybrid of Melee Mario and Doc as is.
I also considered Lucina as an alt for marth, I mean come on, she pretty much has the same build... (Marth is feminine 8D}
It's a Wii Fit trainer case, add boobs, add long hair, done.

It's just a model so it'd be pretty easy imo, and in Awakening everyone thought she was Marth anyways, that and just add a voice over. I think it could work.

Lucas and Ness though, not only do they not match, they've never looked alike.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Anyone saying that Lucas should be an alternate costume of Ness really doesn't understand alternate costumes very well.

DLC is more like it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Gematsu never said anything pertaining to Jigglypuff or other veterans. The only ones that are either helped/hurt by Gematsu are Ness and Lucas. All the others remain in limbo.

I'm fairly certain Jigglypuff will return, however.
Well the lack of Sceptile in the Gematsu leak for one. Less competition.

D

Deleted member

Injustice: Gods Among Us did it. Green Lantern had a John Stewart costume that included Stewart's original voice actor. They had the same moveset, and both were a "Green Lantern", but Hal Jordan and John Stewart are completely different characters. Here's an example.

They also made a Cyborg Superman costume with a different voice, Earth-2 variations for multiple characters (even though, again, they're all completely different characters in Earth-2) and even put in the CW's Arrow with the guy who plays Ollie voicing him as a substitute for Green Arrow.

I'm not trying to argue that one way is "right" versus another, but I didn't see any backlash against these side characters getting costumes instead of custom movesets and roster spots. People were just happy they were in.
John Stewart and Hal Jordan have the same powers though. They both were known as "Green Lantern" for a time. It makes since for them to be alternates. The alternates in Injustice are different interpretations of the same base character. Man of Steel Superman is not the same character Red Son Superman, because they are from different canons, but they are different interpretations of the same character. Lucas, Roy, Falco, and Wolf do not have the same abilities as Ness, Marth, and Fox, nor are they the same character by any means. They just have similar looking moves. (significantly less so in Wolf's case) Lucas's personality does not fit Ness's animations, Marth doesn't have fire, or Roy's cool winning poses, Falco and Wolf don't fit Fox's personality. AND THE CHARACTERS WOULDN'T PLAY THE SAME. It appeals only to the lowest common denominator, while pissing on the people who enjoyed playing as the characters to begin with. Do you think Luigi should be a Mario alternate?

I'm sorry if I sound so angry here, it's just this topic really pisses me off. "Alternate Costumes" should only be the same character in a different outfit. That is basically what John Stewart is in a way. He is his own character, sure, but for a while, he was the main Green Lantern in the Green Lantern comics. Stewart and Jordan have the same powers too. Just swap out the voices and it works. For other characters who have no relation other than similar animations, it does not. Lucas/Ness and Roy/Marth have no canon relationship. The only time these characters are in the same game is Smash Bros.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
John Stewart and Hal Jordan have the same powers though. They both were known as "Green Lantern" for a time. It makes since for them to be alternates. The alternates in Injustice are different interpretations of the same base character. Man of Steel Superman is not the same character Red Son Superman, because they are from different canons, but they are different interpretations of the same character. Lucas, Roy, Falco, and Wolf do not have the same abilities as Ness, Marth, and Fox, nor are they the same character by any means. They just have similar looking moves. (significantly less so in Wolf's case) Lucas's personality does not fit Ness's animations, Marth doesn't have fire, or Roy's cool winning poses, Falco and Wolf don't fit Fox's personality. AND THE CHARACTERS WOULDN'T PLAY THE SAME. It appeals only to the lowest common denominator, while pissing on the people who enjoyed playing as the characters to begin with. Do you think Luigi should be a Mario alternate?

I'm sorry if I sound so angry here, it's just this topic really pisses me off. "Alternate Costumes" should only be the same character in a different outfit. That is basically what John Stewart is in a way. He is his own character, sure, but for a while, he was the main Green Lantern in the Green Lantern comics. Stewart and Jordan have the same powers too. Just swap out the voices and it works. For other characters who have no relation other than similar animations, it does not.
I believe it'd only work for a character like Lucina/Marth.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I'm sorry if I sound so angry here, it's just this topic really pisses me off. "Alternate Costumes" should only be the same character in a different outfit. That is basically what John Stewart is in a way. He is his own character, sure, but for a while, he was the main Green Lantern in the Green Lantern comics. Stewart and Jordan have the same powers too. Just swap out the voices and it works. For other characters who have no relation other than similar animations, it does not.
As a huge comic nerd, I'd like to point out that Green Lanterns create from their imagination and draw from their life's experiences. As such, the Hal Jordan moveset really, really doesn't fit John Stewart's personality and usual construction. To quote someone's post up above, this is like Lucas "swinging a bat". I think the big difference here is that you've already played as Lucas/Falco/Wolf, so the idea of an alternate costume angers you because it means losing what used to make that character unique. Whereas John Stewart fans never got that, so a costume and voice swap was perfectly fine.

Considering Fox/Falco/Wolf's movesets are completely made up as it is (none of their moves reference anything from Star Fox games), a costume swap wouldn't mean a difference in character if Falco and Wolf hadn't been in Brawl/Melee, because fans wouldn't have already expected a certain moveset. It's the expectations and withdrawal of what you had before that make it a "slap in the face", which is a phrase I've seen typed plenty of times in this thread.

Again, I'm not trying to say that your sentiment is incorrect. You're entitled to the way you feel and I understand it. Just making a point that your former expectations are what make alternate costumes representing other characters so harshly viewed.

D

Deleted member

As a huge comic nerd, I'd like to point out that Green Lanterns create from their imagination and draw from their life's experiences. As such, the Hal Jordan moveset really, really doesn't fit John Stewart's personality and usual construction. To quote someone's post up above, this is like Lucas "swinging a bat". I think the big difference here is that you've already played as Lucas/Falco/Wolf, so the idea of an alternate costume angers you because it means losing what used to make that character unique. Whereas John Stewart fans never got that, so a costume and voice swap was perfectly fine.
Sorry, I've never read a single comic book in my life. Thanks for clarifying.

I just really hate the idea of a character who was previously playable, and had their own style being reduced to having nothing of what made them unique, and becoming what people who didn't use them called them already; a clone.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sorry, I've never read a single comic book in my life. Thanks for clarifying.

I just really hate the idea of a character who was previously playable, and had their own style being reduced to having nothing of what made them unique, and becoming what people who didn't use them called them already; a clone.
Aaaaand there we get to the heart of the issue. After this conversation, I have to say I agree with you. Since I never played Lucas, Falco or Wolf competitively, I guess I lost sight of that.

The Injustice: Gods Among Us route worked wonderfully, but I didn't consider the fact that none of those characters had been playable before. It changes expectations considerably.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup

Considering Fox/Falco/Wolf's movesets are completely made up as it is (none of their moves reference anything from Star Fox games), a costume swap wouldn't mean a difference in character if Falco and Wolf hadn't been in Brawl/Melee, because fans wouldn't have already expected a certain moveset. It's the expectations and withdrawal of what you had before that make it a "slap in the face", which is a phrase I've seen typed plenty of times in this thread.

Again, I'm not trying to say that your sentiment is incorrect. You're entitled to the way you feel and I understand it. Just making a point that your former expectations are what make alternate costumes representing other characters so harshly viewed.
Lucas uses PK Love in most of his smashes/tilts, he also doesn't use a Yo-Yo, putting him over Ness would be making him someone he isn't.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911

The difference with Lucas being a costume for Ness is that those are two different characters. "Green Lantern" and "Green Arrow" aren't specific in anything other than the color of the character's costume, so they could change them to any incarnation of said characters and it would still be that character. Imagine if they made a Marvel Vs. DC game and they made Hawkeye into an alternate costume for Green Arrow. This would be analogous to Lucas being a costume for Ness, or Roy one for Marth, or Pichu for Pikachu, etc. As for Cyborg Superman, it's still Superman, just like Meta Ridley is still Ridley, so it still follows this golden rule of not changing the character to one with a different namesake. This is why we see male and female versions of the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, because changing their appearance and sex do not change the fact that they are still the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Now we could very well get a Lucas color scheme for Ness al a Daisy-colored Peach or Wario-colored Mario, but a full-blown costume wouldn't happen. Good news is Dr. Mario is still Mario and Ocarina of Time Link is still Link, so we could get costumes like that which would please many fans (including myself). Here's hoping for Dry Bowser!

With that being out of the way, allow me to add some more on-topic comments to my post as I hope someone else hasn't beaten me to explaining the above in comparable detail:
The idea that Sal's source is a marketing person does make sense, but I'm not so sure. Assuming they're telling the truth about everything, how would they know the developers are considering cutting Lucas and adding DLC if their job is just dealing with promotional materials? The only explanation would be if they have a friend that works for Namco or Nintendo in Japan, as those are the only people who would be in the know about stuff like that. Alternatively, he/she could be employees of Namco or Nintendo residing in Japan, explaining everything rather simply (beside the fact that they inexplicably chose to only skip characters they thought would be shown at E3 at first).

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Lucas uses PK Love in most of his smashes/tilts, he also doesn't use a Yo-Yo, putting him over Ness would be making him someone he isn't.
"Making him someone he isn't" is the point I was trying to make in that post. John Stewart is not Hal Jordan. In fact, Hal is probably my least favorite Green Lantern. I'd take Stewart, Rayner, Gardner, Natu, Jade and anyone else over Hal. But getting Stewart in the game, even if he was using Hal's moves and figure, was better than nothing.

What I was missing, though, is that you guys have already played Lucas as his own character, whereas I've never gotten to play as Stewart before. The expectations are different. Getting Lucas as a costume now would mean losing what you had before and getting a consolation prize. Stewart fans were just happy they could pick him instead of Jordan. It's different.

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
While it hasn't been stated, every other fighting game I know that includes costumes has them be the same character. Scorpion doesn't have a Sub Zero alternate in Mortal Kombat for example.

So far, Smash has done this as well.
Wireframe Mac is still Little Mac
Overalls Wario is still Wario.
Megaman X outfit for Zero in UMVC3. It happens and I don't see why it couldn't happen in smash. Especially if Sal's leak is correct in saying that DLC is in our future.

D

Deleted member

"Making him someone he isn't" is the point I was trying to make in that post. John Stewart is not Hal Jordan. In fact, Hal is probably my least favorite Green Lantern. I'd take Stewart, Rayner, Gardner, Natu, Jade and anyone else over Hal. But getting Stewart in the game, even if he was using Hal's moves and figure, was better than nothing.

What I was missing, though, is that you guys have already played Lucas as his own character, whereas I've never gotten to play as Stewart before. The expectations are different. Getting Lucas as a costume now would mean losing what you had before and getting a consolation prize. Stewart fans were just happy they could pick him instead of Jordan. It's different.
Not to mention the Stewart costume was free.

Megaman X outfit for Zero in UMVC3. It happens and I don't see why it couldn't happen in smash. Especially if Sal's leak is correct in saying that DLC is in our future.
Everyone ******* hated that costume. Everyone wanted Mega Man to be playable, but nope he's just a costume for Zero dur hur. Awful example, especially because Mega Man was in MvC2, but not in MvC3. Mega Man fans hated it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The difference with Lucas being a costume for Ness is that those are two different characters. "Green Lantern" and "Green Arrow" aren't specific in anything other than the color of the character's costume, so they could change them to any incarnation of said characters and it would still be that character. Imagine if they made a Marvel Vs. DC game and they made Hawkeye into an alternate costume for Green Arrow. This would be analogous to Lucas being a costume for Ness, or Roy one for Marth, or Pichu for Pikachu, etc. As for Cyborg Superman, it's still Superman, just like Meta Ridley is still Ridley, so it still follows this golden rule of not changing the character to one with a different namesake. This is why we see male and female versions of the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, because changing their appearance and sex do not change the fact that they are still the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Now we could very well get a Lucas color scheme for Ness al a Daisy-colored Peach or Wario-colored Mario, but a full-blown costume wouldn't happen. Good news is Dr. Mario is still Mario and Ocarina of Time Link is still Link, so we could get costumes like that which would please many fans (including myself). Here's hoping for Dry Bowser!
Since I already clarified the differences in an earlier post, I won't repeat myself here. But I encourage you to not assume that "Green Lantern and Green Arrow aren't specific to anything other than the color of the character's costume". This isn't a comicbook forum, so I forgive the ignorance, but John Stewart and Hal Jordan are just as different as Ness and Lucas. Cyborg Superman is very different from Superman. Earth-2 characters aren't the same as the Earth-1 characters. Etc.

The difference, which I've found after talking with all of you, is that Lucas already got his own character, whereas John Stewart didn't. So while I was just happy Stewart got in (even if the moveset wasn't indicative of his character), you would be actively losing your old character if you only got a costume. And that's not fair. So I agree with you all now.

Just, please, don't make me go all comicbook nerd in here. :laugh:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Am I the only one who would be satisfied without Mewtwo?
No, I'm largely the same way, only because I'm convinced they'd simply bring back his lackluster Melee moveset instead of make him a new one just because it would be easier for them to do. There is a side of me that wants him to make it either in the initial roster or DLC because the whining will be absolutely immense if he doesn't.

D

Deleted member

No, I'm largely the same way, only because I'm convinced they'd simply bring back his lackluster Melee moveset instead of make him a new one just because it would be easier for them to do. There is a side of me that wants him to make it either in the initial roster or DLC because the whining will be absolutely immense if he doesn't.
I'll admit, most of the reason I want him is so that his fans won't crap on the characters that get in before him. I myself do not need Mewtwo in order to be satisfied with the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I won't complain about the other characters if Mewtwo doesn't make it in.
I'll complain about Mewtwo not making it in. It's really nobody's fault but Sakurai's.

However maybe some blame will go towards Greninja, however I like Greninja a lot.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Am I the only one who would be satisfied without Mewtwo?
You're not alone. We've had a Smash game without Mewtwo before, we can have one again. I'd LIKE to see him back, but it's not necessary.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'll admit, most of the reason I want him is so that his fans won't crap on the characters that get in before him. I myself do not need Mewtwo in order to be satisfied with the roster.
I think the reason so many people hold onto Mewtwo is the indifference with new Pokemon. Many people in my age group only played the first or second generation of Pokemon, so the addition of Lucario or Greninja (I'll admit I didn't even know he existed until the Smash trailer) is lost on us. Mewtwo is still king.

But like @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice stated, I wouldn't be interested in Mewtwo with his Melee moveset, at least without significant improvements. That moveset sucked.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Since I already clarified the differences in an earlier post, I won't repeat myself here. But I encourage you to not assume that "Green Lantern and Green Arrow aren't specific to anything other than the color of the character's costume". This isn't a comicbook forum, so I forgive the ignorance, but John Stewart and Hal Jordan are just as different as Ness and Lucas. Cyborg Superman is very different from Superman. Earth-2 characters aren't the same as the Earth-1 characters. Etc.
My point was that "Green Lantern" isn't specifically referring to any one version. For that matter, they could have made a Kilowog costume and it still would have been "Green Lantern" (by a stretch, but nonetheless). I know what you are saying, just like with the Doctors of Doctor Who or the various Robins, each have their own distinct traits and identities. However, given that they share the same name, they would be fair game for alternate costumes that change their individual identity, at least by the rules that Smash Bros. and many other games tend to follow.

D

Deleted member

I would, if they added Ridley and Mewtwo, and replaced Chrom with Lucina.
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't need an if...
It's a sad world we live in... People will moan about not having things the way they want them.

I'm just glad we're getting a new Smash game.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
People seem to forget that we're getting characters like Megaman, a HIGHLY requested character who is finally getting his time to shine. Little Mac as well, and tons of other great characters. I think it also has to do with not saving the best for last. Had for example Sonic showed up in the Brawl Leak instead of being confirmed officially, I bet you a ton of people would've liked the Brawl roster better. Same goes for this game had Megaman been one of the remaining unconfirmed characters for the Gematsu leak, people would like it much more.

People find it disappointing because this leak is basically deconfirming every other character that had a chance, no its not a true deconfirm but anyone that isn't on the Gematsu leak at this point is very very unlikely. So our level of surprise and hype has gone down the drain, we already know who we're getting. We're getting a 3rd fire emblem character, Shulk (who actually I am looking forward to despite never playing his games), and an obscure character nobody really has affiliated with before, and thats all we're getting in terms of new characters for the final roster.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
People seem to forget that we're getting characters like Megaman, a HIGHLY requested character who is finally getting his time to shine. Little Mac as well, and tons of other great characters. I think it also has to do with not saving the best for last. Had for example Sonic showed up in the Brawl Leak instead of being confirmed officially, I bet you a ton of people would've liked the Brawl roster better. Same goes for this game had Megaman been one of the remaining unconfirmed characters for the Gematsu leak, people would like it much more.

People find it disappointing because this leak is basically deconfirming every other character that had a chance, no its not a true deconfirm but anyone that isn't on the Gematsu leak at this point is very very unlikely. So our level of surprise and hype has gone down the drain, we already know who we're getting. We're getting a 3rd fire emblem character, Shulk (who actually I am looking forward to despite never playing his games), and an obscure character nobody really has affiliated with before, and thats all we're getting in terms of new characters for the final roster.
If we assume that the leak is all the newcomers we have. And if it is all the newcomers we have... its disappointing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster
I personally like the line up we're getting as of right now.
Shulk is a very popular choice and a representative of an important new IP.
Chrom was obvious, whoever denies that was in denial the whole time. :p
Chorus Kids are going to be incredible. I'm working on a moveset that will show you all how amazing they'll be.
And I think we could get a surprise at the end of it all.
Mewtwo anyone?

People are getting disappointed yet we got Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Pac-Man, and we're going to get Shulk.
This is the roster we wanted guys, minus K. Rool and Ridley.
And even then they aren't out of the picture just yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom