• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's probably denial, yeah. But it just seems like every piece of evidence EXCEPT the Sal leak is pointing to his exclusion. Some other members have put it in my head, I guess. And I already wanted to believe it, so. xD
I don't really see how it's pointing to his exclusion, really. But that's better left for the Chrom thread.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My thoughts on Sal's tipper's current claims:
Hey, guys.

Funny that this page is talking about a new e-mail, because that's exactly why I'm here. Received one last night, but missed it in the mix of all this crazy E3 coverae.

But there's not much new about it, so I didn't think it was worth posting on the site.

I'll leave what it says here, though, in case you guys can use it in any way.

Basically, I was told that:

- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy

And that's it. This E3 should make or break whether this guy's the real deal. Let's hope for the best! =)
My thoughts on Sal's tipper's claims:

Participating characters - Well, we at least seen the Mii Fighters, Palutena and Pac-Man during E3. As well as seeing a glimpse of a Rhythm Heaven enemy within the Smash Run Gameplay, even though it is still too soon to be jumping to conclusions, I'm still inclined to believe that the claims are starting to be more legit.

Lucas vs Ness - To be honest, I wouldn't be entirely too disappointed if Lucas gets the cut.

DLC plans - Although, I'm just going to wait and see which characters will be a part of the DLC plans. Either way, I will probably get them if they are a part of this.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Four. Ike, Marth, Little Mac, and Greninja.

I was playing Xenoblade again recently and it's gotten me really excited for Shulk. Such a wealth of moves to choose from. I wonder if they'll keep the UK voice actors.
Six.

Ike, Marth, Little Mac, Greninja, Lucario, Mii Swordfighter.

Likely seven with Chrom.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out Chrom was cut at this rate. It's very odd that they would wait this long to reveal him, not to mention that they revealed Ike before him, even. And that's another theory I feel like could potentially be onto something: Sal's source mistook Ike for Chrom since he has a new look. It's not all that likely, but it does seem entirely possible since they called the "Chorus Kids" the "Chorus Men" and "Greninja" "Pokemon from X/Y."
Or maybe Chrom's in the game, just like Sal predicted. The Ike and Coliseum reveal only strengthen that. When Chrom's reveal trailer comes out, who's likely to be in it? Marth and Ike. And where are they likely to be fighting? The Coliseum.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Or maybe Chrom's in the game, just like Sal predicted. The Ike and Coliseum reveal only strengthen that. When Chrom's reveal trailer comes out, who's likely to be in it? Marth and Ike. And where are they likely to be fighting? The Coliseum.
This makes more sense to me than "Chrom has been cut." This also kind of makes sense as to why Pac-Man was released this E3 and not last (had both MegaMan and Sonic in the trailer).

Who knows, maybe Sal's source is a cinematographer hired to help oversee the trailers. Maybe that's how he knows the newcomers (but then, he would know Greninja's name if that was the case).

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
Well it has been quite the time I was here. Anyways here is my idea about the characters:

I feel that the Gematsu leak is pretty legit. I wouldn't be surprised that Shulk, Chrom would join the fray. Chorus Man joining the roster would be a surprise for me, but with the Rhythym enemy.. it starting to make sense.

Anyways to move on of what I think will be released more:

Sakurai did tease us in the Smash Brothers Direct. Maybe he just did it for fun or he hinted for four future characters. These characters would be the following based on their trophies:

Psuedo Palutena - Kid Icarus: Uprising

Palutena

Well this one is already confirmed. Psuedo Palutena was shown inside the direct and well she even got confirmed! They even talked about the Psuedo part in her trailer. So it seems that this would be a confirmation about the little teases Sakurai did.

Tiki - Fire Emblem: Awakening

Chrom or MU

Chrom would make more sense as this character is a finalized one and one that doesnt change in the view of the player. MU is a unit that can be both a boy and a girl. Still this shouldnt make any difference in the chances. It could be reason why MU would not be chosen and Chrom would be the one in the game. The only reason I can find he would not take the role inside Smash is because of his voice actor saying he didn't get asked. BUT, who says he will get his English voice? Maybe he will gets his Japanese voice? We don't know but I think at least another Awakening representation would be a good guess and I wouldnt be surprised if it would be Chrom. This would also show that the leak was real.

Vi - Skyward Sword

Demise/Ghirahim

This could be meaning two things. Ganondorf being replaced with Demise and Ghirahim as a newcomer. Or just Ghirahim as a newcomer. I wouldn't be surprised that this would be something we should look at. I think this would be also very interesting as both characters could show something different than what we have already. A different kind of style of fighting. I wonder!

King Kihunter - Other M

Ridley

The only boss that makes sense from Other M. Ridley was in it and I wouldn't be surprised that he would be playable in the end. Other bosses in Other M didnt make that much of a pressence and with Dark Samus as an assist trophey I dont know which character would be better than Ridley to represent the Metroid Villain franchise.

So my question to you guys, what do you think?

D

Deleted member

Alright, I finally decided to type up my theory about why Rosalina was not leaked.

1. First leak contains outdated E3 Plans: The first leak, as written on Gematsu, states that “six characters we were told would be revealed, three have been confirmed: Mega Man,Animal CrossingVillager, and Wii Fit Trainer. The three left remaining are Little Mac, Pac-Man, and your Mii.” I have always assumed that this is exactly what it says on the tin, the leaker assumed that those 6 would be revealed at E3. Nintendo had a change of plan (possibly due to that revealing half of the newcomer roster) and decided to only reveal half of the original amount; Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mega Man. The leaker was unaware of this, and posted the information he had acquired anyway. Those 6 characters listed here were eventually confirmed, so I think we can all agree that while they might have not all been revealed when they were originally supposed to be revealed (E3 2013) they were all revealed. (Interestingly enough, of all those characters, only Little Mac was not revealed at an E3. Irrelevant, but fun to note nonetheless.)

2. Rosalina’s not being mentioned in any leak: This is the big piece of evidence people use to show there might be other characters besides those listed in the leak. However, I think that this is just wishful thinking. Would it be nice to see more characters? Oh yes. Do I think it will happen? No. I think Gematsu + Rosalina is it, and I will explain why. First, we know before the games were given a trailer and all that fancy stuff, Sakurai is quoted as saying that the game will focus more on balance or distinctiveness of characters, rather than increasing the roster size like in past games. Assuming Gematsu + Rosalina is it; we get 12 new characters from Brawl to Smash 4, vs. the 14 new characters from Smash 64 to Melee, and the 18 new characters from Melee to Brawl. This is a far less significant increase, and as such, fits perfectly with Sakurai’s above statement. This is as much characters as the original Super Smash Bros. Not to mention each new character revealed thus far is completely unlike any previous characters in terms of how they feel. (Mii has customization.) So, the newcomer roster is small. That doesn’t mean Gematsu + Rosalina is it. I think it does, as there is one other piece of evidence that points to this being it; the timing of the second leak. Rosalina was revealed during the December Direct. The Smash Bros. Direct was in April. The leaker decided to leak the remaining 5 newcomers before the Smash Direct, as it was a very significant Smash news source. Rosalina was already revealed, and there would be no point to leaking her at this point. If the leaker had say, said “Oh, I knew this character was coming,” or something along those lines, the leak would have seemed a lot less credible in my eyes. “But why didn’t he leak before any of the previous Directs?” I would assume he didn’t because a Nintendo Direct is just a general Nintendo news source, not specific to Smash Brothers. In fact, before Rosalina’s reveal, the only two characters confirmed during Directs were Luigi (a returning veteran done to celebrate the Year of Luigi) and Sonic (a returning third party character who’s reveal coincided with the release of Sonic Lost World later that month.) I assert that the leaker had no knowledge of when Rosalina was to be revealed, but he was aware of her presence in the game. Above I detailed how the first leak contained outdated E3 plans. Rosalina is not mentioned in the first leak, because she was never intended to be revealed at E3 2013. She is not mentioned in the second leak, because she had been confirmed 4 months before the Smash Direct, and adding her to the leak would make everything seem less credible. As such, I assert that unfortunately, the Gematsu Leak and Rosalina are the only newcomers that will appear in the game. Or at least the main roster if DLC does happen.

@ RobinotX RobinotX - I actually thought about Chrom speaking Japanese a while ago. Considering Awakening takes place on the same continent as Shadow Dragon, and Marth speaks Japanese, logically Chrom should speak Japanese too. I don't think that would happen, but it IS possible, and there is a canon explanation for it.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
So if Lucas were to be in Smash 4, I like how he worded it so he'd still be right if he made it in.

I hate this leak so much, why'd I have to love Mother so much instead of another game that wouldn't have character cuts.

D

Deleted member

Besides Ridley.
Hopefully. While I don't hate the characters on this leak like most people do, (I've actually warmed up to Chrom) I wouldn't mind seeing others, especially Ridley, because while I haven't played too much Metroid, if Chrom can be added as a thank you to Awakening fans for keeping the series alive, Ridley should certainly be added because of how passionate his fanbase is. I just don't think it's likely that there are many, many others, as most people seem to assume. (As in Gematsu + Rosalina + 5 or so others. That just seems ridiculous going off of Sakurai's previous statement.) It could be possible there are 1 or 2 more though, but again, I don't think it's likely.
Never forget. Brawl roster leak. 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I think Gematsu + Rosalina is it.
I don't buy the whole Sakurai saying he's gonna focus on very few newcomers because he usually is very doom and gloom about things so we don't get disappointed when he exceeds expectations. He said something about no planned Smash bros after brawl but that seems to have changed. And after finishing KI he said "hopefully someone else makes a sequel in 25 years like I did!" but I really doubt he'll just drop the series there, especially after including so many KI references in Sm4sh.

The main reason I think there are more characters is because the list lacks Rosalina and more importantly... this is controversial... but Ridley. I 100% believe the direct was teasing us with a character that he could not yet reveal since he's hinted that he won't be revealing unlockable characters on a Luigi Pic of the Day stating he "usually doesn't reveal" characters like Luigi. Its just too strange that he'd willing give a name, stage, and show the appearance of Yellow Devil and then just say "soooome kind of stages will have ceeeertain bosses that you maaaay know" without directly stating who he's talking about when showing the shadow. And I don't see the Ridster on the list even though we got a clear shot of his character model's shadow and wing... so I feel like there is more to this list. I know a lot of people have issues seeing anything out of the ordinary with that tease and think he's being truthful, but with that Zero Suit "she's removed from the game" joke 5 seconds before the Ridley clip, and the Palutena, FE, and Metroid trophies he showed... I just know Rid's gonna be there, but he aint on the list, so I just feel like there's more to the list.

Of course this is all speculation. No concrete evidence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't buy the whole Sakurai saying he's gonna focus on very few newcomers because he usually is very doom and gloom about things so we don't get disappointed when he exceeds expectations. He said something about no planned Smash bros after brawl but that seems to have changed. And after finishing KI he said "hopefully someone else makes a sequel in 25 years like I did!" but I really doubt he'll just drop the series there, especially after including so many KI references in Sm4sh.

The main reason I think there are more characters is because the list lacks Rosalina and more importantly... this is controversial... but Ridley. I 100% believe the direct was teasing us with a character that he could not yet reveal since he's hinted that he won't be revealing unlockable characters on a Luigi Pic of the Day stating he "usually doesn't reveal" characters like Luigi. Its just too strange that he'd willing give a name, stage, and show the appearance of Yellow Devil and then just say "soooome kind of stages will have ceeeertain bosses that you maaaay know" without directly stating who he's talking about when showing the shadow. And I don't see the Ridster on the isnt even though we got a clear shot of his character model's shadow and wing... so I feel like there is more to this list. I know a lot of people have issues seeing anything out of the ordinary with that tease and think he's being truthful, but with that Zero Suit "she's removed from the game" joke 5 seconds before the Ridley clip, and the Palutena, FE, and Metroid trophies he showed... I just know Rid's gonna be there, but he aint on the list, so I just feel like there's more to the list.

Going off of pure speculation, Ridley seems like the only character not on the leak that has a shot at being in the game, with maybe MAYBE King K. Rool if we're extremely lucky. I'll admit, I'm biased, as I would love seeing a hand drawn character in Smash, and Greninja will be my main forever, so I could care less about who gets in at this point.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The whole Ridley shadow deal only sealed his inclusion IMO. It's just speculation, but there's no real reason for Sakurai to continue to tease us with Pyrosphere if Ridley isn't a playibe character.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Going off of pure speculation, Ridley seems like the only character not on the leak that has a shot at being in the game, with maybe MAYBE King K. Rool if we're extremely lucky. I'll admit, I'm biased, as I would love seeing a hand drawn character in Smash, and Greninja will be my main forever, so I could care less about who gets in at this point.
Yup, K.Rool if we're EXTREMELY lucky. He's got the Kremlings but thats all I see supporting him. He hasn't been seen in years aside from the baseball game so I feel like they'll shy away from including him, but you never know!

I'm just going to guess this is a list of planned reveals before the game launches or something. The rest will be hidden away for us to unlock. Like what they did in Brawl. That's my new theory. So I'll be expecting Chrom, Shulk and Glee Club to show up in the next 4 months.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that Mewtwo and even Takamaru are more likely than K. Rool.
I always forget Takamaru exists :p
He'd be perfect. US has Mac, Japan gets Takamaru.

There's just one little itty bitty problem with your statement.

Mewtwo
is
not
a
newcomer.

MINAN!
MINAN!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

The main reason I think there are more characters is because the list lacks Rosalina and more importantly... this is controversial... but Ridley. I 100% believe the direct was teasing us with a character that he could not yet reveal since he's hinted that he won't be revealing unlockable characters on a Luigi Pic of the Day stating he "usually doesn't reveal" characters like Luigi. Its just too strange that he'd willing give a name, stage, and show the appearance of Yellow Devil and then just say "soooome kind of stages will have ceeeertain bosses that you maaaay know" without directly stating who he's talking about when showing the shadow. And I don't see the Ridster on the list even though we got a clear shot of his character model's shadow and wing... so I feel like there is more to this list. I know a lot of people have issues seeing anything out of the ordinary with that tease and think he's being truthful, but with that Zero Suit "she's removed from the game" joke 5 seconds before the Ridley clip, and the Palutena, FE, and Metroid trophies he showed... I just know Rid's gonna be there, but he aint on the list, so I just feel like there's more to the list.

This is why us Ridley fans still have hope. It's too ambiguous.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
For Ridley to be in there'd have to be another cut besides Lucas, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle if we follow the CSS theory. Either that or the roster would have to be bumped up to 51, which would ensure us either more newcomers or less cuts (Ridley, Lucas, Snake and Mewtwo?)

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
This makes more sense to me than "Chrom has been cut." This also kind of makes sense as to why Pac-Man was released this E3 and not last (had both MegaMan and Sonic in the trailer).

Who knows, maybe Sal's source is a cinematographer hired to help oversee the trailers. Maybe that's how he knows the newcomers (but then, he would know Greninja's name if that was the case).
I think the coliseum alone pretty much confirms chrom, then again I might be over looking a past example, where a stage from a character's game was in without the character. Or I might be making the mistake of thinking that's the same exact coliseum from FE:A. But I'm pretty sure it is... I dunno about my former thought. I'm sleepy as **** right now.

Demise/Ghirahim
This could be meaning two things. Ganondorf being replaced with Demise and Ghirahim as a newcomer. Or just Ghirahim as a newcomer. I wouldn't be surprised that this would be something we should look at. I think this would be also very interesting as both characters could show something different than what we have already. A different kind of style of fighting. I wonder!
If Ghirahim is that magical demon lord version of David Bowie from skyward sword.

Then I think I would use him more than Link.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the coliseum alone pretty much confirms chrom, then again I might be over looking a past example, where a stage from a character's game was in without the character. Or I might be making the mistake of thinking that's the same exact coliseum from FE:A. But I'm pretty sure it is... I dunno about my former thought. I'm sleepy as **** right now.
Norfair without Ridley, Smashville without Villager.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Poor Lucas.... It's really strange, because bedore E3, everyone thought Lucas was going to return...

D

Deleted member

Poor Lucas.... It's really strange, because bedore E3, everyone thought Lucas was going to return...
There were some awful people who thought he was out because he was a "clone" but otherwise, yeah. Poor guy. First the events of Mother 3 and then this...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We did? General consensus with the people I know was that Ness was likely in and Lucas was likely just an alternate costume.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We did? General consensus with the people I know was that Ness was likely in and Lucas was likely just an alternate costume.
That would probably be worse than a cut. I'd be a slap in the face to Mother fans like me.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Norfair without Ridley, Smashville without Villager.
I see... Is that all though? I think with villager he specifically said he didn't think he'd work out in brawl or something(I don't know that for a fact, someone HERE said that) right? Even though he's in now... and yeah like someone just said, I'm pretty sure Samus is good enough for norfair.

To be honest I'd really rather have someone else not-chrom but I have a feeling he's getting in regardless of what a leak says or how vague evidence is. It's either him or we're only having 2 FE reps. Or by some super miracle chance roy comes back, just because.

D

Deleted member

Anyone who says Lucas, Roy, Falco, or Wolf should be demoted to alternate costumes has no respect for the people who used that character. We play them for their moves. Their design is a secondary thing to how they play.

At least it is for me.

Not to mention it makes no sense. It's called a COSTUME. Ness never puts on a Lucas suit at any point during EarthBound.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Anyone who says Lucas, Roy, Falco, or Wolf should be demoted to alternate costumes has no respect for the people who used that character. We play them for their moves. Their design is a secondary thing to how they play.

At least it is for me.
I can understand that. To be clear, my statement wasn't that it should happen, but rather, that it would out of necessity for avoiding an overloaded roster while still appealing to as many fans as possible.

Let me ask: If Lucas weren't an included character in Smash4, would you rather he be an alternate costume for Ness, or not included in any way at all? We had a similar discussion in another forum recently on the subject. People's reactions varied a lot.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I can understand that. To be clear, my statement wasn't that it should happen, but rather, that it would out of necessity for avoiding an overloaded roster while still appealing to as many fans as possible.

Let me ask: If Lucas weren't an included character in Smash4, would you rather he be an alternate costume for Ness, or not included in any way at all? We had a similar discussion in another forum recently on the subject. People's reactions varied a lot.
They never ever do alts that make the character a different person.

Maybe we'll get a Ness outfit where he has blonde hair and the same color shirt but that's it.

D

Deleted member

I would rather he not be included. I don't play Lucas as much anymore, but back when I mained Lucas, I would not have his originality stripped, and have his model just be pasted over Ness's animations. It also doesn't fit his character. As a fan, I would be extremely pissed off. They had the nerve to model a character I used to play, but lazily paste it over a character I didn't.

At least I enjoy playing as Ness, but I don't really like Falco or Marth.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

This is going to sound a bit silly, but if Sal's right and we're not getting Lucas, I'd rather him be cut than an an alternate costume.

I'm still not sold on it, as I think the leak has it's own predictions along with facts.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They never ever do alts that make the character a different person.

Maybe we'll get a Ness outfit where he has blonde hair and the same color shirt but that's it.
Has this been stated officially? Because I've yet to see that.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
This is going to sound a bit silly, but if Sal's right and we're not getting Lucas, I'd rather him be cut than an an alternate costume.

I'm still not sold on it, as I think the leak has it's own predictions along with facts.
It's not silly. It's perfectly reasonable. Just because I personally disagree doesn't make that idea "silly".

In my mind, even if the moveset doesn't match perfectly, I'd love to get as much fan service as possible. Being able to play as one of my favorite side characters, even in costume alone, would be preferable to not getting to at all.

D

Deleted member

Has this been stated officially? Because I've yet to see that.
While it hasn't been stated, every other fighting game I know that includes costumes has them be the same character. Scorpion doesn't have a Sub Zero alternate in Mortal Kombat for example.

So far, Smash has done this as well.
Wireframe Mac is still Little Mac
Overalls Wario is still Wario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom